PDA

View Full Version : prismacolor pencils?

malinmaskros
05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Iīm looking for Prismacolor pencils (not watercolour ones), they cost an arm and a leg here (about 50USD for a set of 24), and I wonder if thereīs anyone who have a set to trade, or to sell. It doesnīt have to be brand spanking new and unused, but of course enought left of the pencils so I can use them. Is there anyone who can help me out?

lemurkat
05-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Goodness, I paid less than that in Hawaii for mine! Admittedly, Sweden is a little further away. We don't even get Prismas in New Zealand. Having tried both them and the faber castell polychromos, I would have to say I prefer the polys (they're easier on my inking pens, the prismas have some sort of oil or something that ruins the tips) and as Faber Castell is German, maybe easier to obtain in Europe? Have you tried them?

Kat

rkolig
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
That is kinda high, but I guess with the shipping and all. Did you check Dick Blick? They ship international.

I love my Prismacolors, but yeah, you have to use a spray fixative if you want to draw over them with inking pens.

malinmaskros
05-27-2009, 03:28 PM
I checked out Dick Blick, and they had a set of 24 for $18, with a set of 12 included, so very cheap indeed. But then thereīs shipping... And there goes my $$$...

Yes, I can find Faber Castells here, but they cost about the same, and the Derwent is another $15...

Iīm taking a Suzi Blu workshop (it looks like), and she recommended the Prismacolors - I guess she doesnīt do a lot of inking on top of the pencils. :)

rkolig
05-27-2009, 03:38 PM
If you ink with a nib and ink bottle, its not so much an issue. But if you use pens like the Micron (which I love) then it is and can wreck them quickly if you don't spray them.

malinmaskros
05-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Have a hard time finding Micron pens here too... But I know about the difficulty of inking on top of stuff - Iīve ruined many pens inking over watercolour.

peggyapl
05-28-2009, 03:10 AM
i recently bought 2 sets of brand new PRISMACOLOR PREMIER COLOR PENCILS- (one set of 72 pencils & the other, 24 pencils) from eBay for $39.00. bidding started quite low so if no one else wants them, you may be able to get a good price. i googled them and came up with different sites which have them at lower prices than regular (amazon also has them and may have free shipping for them).

lemurkat
05-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Why is it that some pencils wreck the nibs and others don't? What's the substance in the pen that makes it do that? My watercolours, derwents and prismas have that problem, but my polys don't.

Kat

malinmaskros
05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I tried to order a set on Amazon - it would be a very good price. But they wouldnīt ship them to me... :( Now Iīm trying Dick Blick, I hope that work, and that they wonīt charge too much for the shipping - theyīll e-mail the actual shipping cost within a couple of days.

But even if that works out - does anyone have any Prismacolor pencils to trade? Single pencils work just fine - let me know what you have, and we can work something out. I can trade you ATCs, chunky pages, ribbons, fibers, foreign text pages, cute deco tape, Swedish stuff...

oliverstwist
05-28-2009, 11:03 AM
i am going to try a sharpie ontop of my colored pencils

I goot prismas on recomendation from Kat and i ADORE them. I colord in coloring books witrh crayola and it is so.......... PAINFULL!

altermyworld
05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Malin I have some Prisma scholars pencils .
I have 25 of them in various colours, gently used.
They aren't the top grade ones but are good pencils.
Let me know
ANg

malinmaskros
06-01-2009, 02:32 AM
That sounds great, Ang! Iīm PMing you!

themuppet
06-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Why is it that some pencils wreck the nibs and others don't? What's the substance in the pen that makes it do that? My watercolours, derwents and prismas have that problem, but my polys don't.

Kat

It's wax, Kat, at least for the Derwents and Prismcolors... They're both wax-based, so the wax screws with the nib on your pen... Polys are oil-based, so they don't have the same issue. :D You also get the dreaded "wax bloom" (a hazy film over the top of the drawing) with prismas once you get a lot of layers (like a LOT, upwards of 20) or if you're really heavy handed, but fixative usually kills it. ahhhh prismas.. so persnickety. I still <3 them though!

icequeen07
06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
what are polys and what do you spray your copic pens with to bring them back?

rkolig
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
IceQueen, I don't know of a way to save your pens. Unfortunately, once you wreck em, I think they're wrecked.

You have to spray the art with the fixative before using your pens again to prevent them from clogging.

themuppet
06-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I've had success with scribbling on scratch paper after using Pitt pens over the top of prismacolors. I've had pens that I thought were destroyed come back to life doing that. I don't know if that'd work with the Copics, but luckily the nibs are replaceable!

and Polys are Polychromos colored pencils, another brand of artist-grade pencils like Prismacolor.

rkolig
06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
That's worked for a couple of mine, but alas....I've wrecked my share too.

malinmaskros
06-02-2009, 02:00 PM
OK, I got the shipping costs for the Dick Blick order - my choices were fast for $40 or slow for $30... The pencils were $19. I canīt believe how they can charge more than double the cost for the actual purchase. So I didnīt make the order... Iīve seen some cheap batches of unsorted coloured pencils on ebay. What do you think, are there just a few Prismacolours in each batch, or could it be a decent buy?

rkolig
06-02-2009, 02:03 PM
ask the seller a question. I do it all the time.

icequeen07
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
thanks rkolig and muppet for your help.malin,i hope you get your pencils ,its so easy for us in the states.

malinmaskros
06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Iīve found some pencils (thank you altermyworld), but could use more. More colours, other sorts of prismas. Oh, and listening to you, I might have to start looking for polys... :D
Yes, you are so spoiled in the US, you can find all of the good stuff, and at bargain prices too. And with cupons! But hey, we have polarbears in the streets. No, wait, we donīt... :(

EraserQueen
06-04-2009, 01:29 PM
I use rapidiograph sketch pens to ink over my prismacolor pencils and have never had a problem! The black of the ink is blacker than the microns as well (I don';t use microns anymore, the ink isnt as rich a black and it's too expensive for me to replace them all the time). You have a very short period before the ink dries when it could get smudged, but that has never happend to me! I know Amerasu has mentioned it though, so that's why i bring it up.

malinmaskros
06-04-2009, 01:48 PM
I use some Faber-Castell inking pens, but I needs to buy new all the time, since the paint destroys them. And I have mainly been using watercolour up until now, so no waxy stuff. Maybe I should go up some in price, because the cheaper pens arenīt that cheap when I constantly have to replace them...

rkolig
06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
I use some Faber-Castell inking pens, but I needs to buy new all the time, since the paint destroys them. And I have mainly been using watercolour up until now, so no waxy stuff. Maybe I should go up some in price, because the cheaper pens arenīt that cheap when I constantly have to replace them...

If you ever salt your watercolors and then use pens over it without sealing them, it will wreck them even faster than inking over Prismacolor pencils.

malinmaskros
06-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Iīve only tried salt in watercolours once, but I wasnīt too impressed by the result, so I havenīt done it again. It was in my early ATC days (meaning about a year ago), and I didnīt use the same pens I do now.

themuppet
06-04-2009, 02:37 PM
If you ever salt your watercolors and then use pens over it without sealing them, it will wreck them even faster than inking over Prismacolor pencils.

Ohhhhh yeah I've done that!

malinmaskros
06-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Have anyone of you tried Koh-i-Noor polycolor pencils? I can find them at a very decent price, but if the pencils arenīt any good, it doesnīt matter how good the price is...

themuppet
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I've never tried them, but I've heard really good things about them at wetcanvas!