PDA

View Full Version : California ATC Gathering

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

chatty
07-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Event Organizers: Chatty and CentralCaliGrrrl

We are hoping that California Artist and anyone else who are members of AFA/ATCsforALL and their guest, where ever you live in this grand world of ours are WELCOME to join us for our first California ATC Gathering.

CALIFORNIA ATC GATHERING
April 30th & May 1st, 2010

9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Works Shops and Demos

6:00 PM Supper
Check in Friday, All Day Event Saturday, Check out Sunday

Comfort Inn Marina

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-marina-california-CA569?sid=pho9M.myAqSgdivN.9&sarea=4799&sname=Marina&sstate=CA&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=36.684444427490234&slon=-121.80110931396484&schain=CI&exp=&scity=Marina&sort=&type=&map=n&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0

The rates are $84.99 (plus 10% hotel tax) per night for a room with two beds. We need to guarantee that ten rooms will be booked by our group in order to get this rate. If we go over 10 rooms you still get the discount, but, it will be first come first serve after the 10 rooms are book. To make sure you get a room please reserve a room early if you need to cancel, March 30th 4pm is the deadline to do so.

We will be allowed to use the meeting room for the entire Saturday at a cost of $250.00 means all of us will have to split the cost. We hope this is okay with all of you, as this was the best deal we could get and we looked at almost 50 different hotels/meeting rooms!

All of the rooms need to be reserved separately with individual credit cards. Please call the hotel at (831) 883-4000 and let them know that you are part of a group reservation under the name AFA California Gathering (ID #1511).

Rooms must be reserved by March 30, 2010.

Reservation Made or Walk In for the Day:
NancyL
CentralCaliGrrrl,mermaidfan and SilverFrostGoddess
chatty and Linda4atc
lindamay and curbsidetreasure
Lois
Dadreemer
Spineofafish
sarat
TheGlassBeadDame
Beckster
DebbaPeot

Yvonne and I (chatty) are here if you need any help or question answer

May 1st 2010 All Day Events

General Tool Supply Guide
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showpost.php?p=524841&postcount=297
A BASIC TOOL KIT, cutting mat, cutting tools, pens, pencils, etc.

Live ATC's and Chunkie 4x4 Trades

COLLAGE FABRIC PIECES without SEWING
DEMO/WORKSHOP
by Lindamay

SUPPLY LIST
1. fabric scraps ~ light weight to canvas weight
2. fabric motifs ~ small enough to fit on an ATC
3. gel medium or modge podge (matte or glossy) ~ depending on your preference
4. plastic sheet or garbage bag ~ to lay your pieces on whilthey dry
5. throw away brushes ~ metal handled craft brushes sold in bundles
6. scissors ~ fabric type scissors or craft scissors
pellon or fabric interfacing ~ thickness depends upon what you like
7. tyvek ~ Post Office envelopes are made of tyvek
Have any questions PM lindamay

Art Journal Demo
by Curbsidetreasure

Trade and Make ATC Challenges Swap and Picture Profile DEMO

Host: Linda4atc @ Calif. Gathering
Supply List for ATC Challenges
Bring a ziploc bag with your name and username on it... for each swap you want to enter, up to three per person....Inside would be two pieces of paper with your name, username and address .... 2 different ATC mixed media supplies, enough to make 3 atcs things like 3-images(same), 3-pieces of textured paper(same), 3-brads(same), 3-flowers(same), 3-small amounts of glitter or embossing powder(labeled) ... small things like the brads maybe 2 for each of the three. Bags will be collected at the gathering, sorted and returned. ATC's will be made at home after the gathering and you will be mailing to two different people for each bag. Direct question to Linda4atc...

California Attraction Contest
by Smokeysmom
I've decided to change the theme of my contest to "California Attractions" - and you won't need to go on a scavenger hunt AND you can make your ATCs in advance of the event (if you want) and turn them in to me or drop them in a box I will have set up in the Conference Room before the 1 PM deadline on Saturday. Your ATC must contain the letters "C" and "A", for California, and reflect a reason to visit California, such as Disneyland, Yosemite, Northern CA Redwoods, Hollywood, Monterey Aquarium, etc. or a California Event of some kind. The completed ATCs will be scanned and uploaded to the AFA web site for everyone to see and be encouraged to visit this fine state. The judging panel will select a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner - all mediums and techniques allowed. Prizes include Art Journaling Techniques book, Art Journals with Pens, Shake, Rattle and Roll Artist Trading Cards book and more! So submit your best work! There will be art supplies available on the "Free" table, if you need them. Please copy this information for your records; there will NOT be an instruction sheet for this contest in your Goody Bags.
:)
Free for the Taking Table
Bring something you don't use anymore exchange it for something else.

SHARE TABLE
Members need to put their real name and member name on items they would like to "share" with others. These items would include books, magazines on techniques, pens/markers/pencils/embossing powders, heat guns, paper, and utility items that members don't mind sharing, but would like back at the end of the day.

Alcohol Inks Workshop
by Dadreemer

Supply List
Basic Tool Kit
Any Question PM Dadreemer

ROLO's AND INCHIES DEMO
by smokeysmom

GOODIE BAG
by Chatty
If you would like to donate toward the goodie bag please PM me

HAND-EMBOSSED ALUMINUM WORKSHOP

(with VOLCANO-MAKING *HEAT EMBOSSING* DEMO)

BY Lois

SUPPLIES/MATERIALS
Everyone bring: ATC Backs (cut and ready to be a base) clean-up stuff (for paint-covered fingers!)

LOIS WILL PROVIDE the rest of the supplies:
Aluminum (metal repair tape), pens, acrylic paint, matboard (for cushioning), penny sleeves (for smoother lines), and sandpaper (for texture).

Full Day of Events

Continue below

chatty
07-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Continue from above

Raffle Prizes

Hawaiian Raffle
by NancyL
Has graciously donated 5 Hawaiian theme goodie bags

Bmuse
Products Created for Creativity
http://www.b-muse.com/

has graciously donated a $20.00 Gift Certificate.

Blick
The Best Art Supplies...at the best discounts!
http://www.dickblick.com/

Has graciously donated $50.00 Gift Certificate

STRATHMORE ARTIST PAPERS

http://www.strathmoreartist.com/
Generously donated ATC Supplies

Collage Discovery Workshop Book
Image Transfer Workshop Book
Shake, Rattle and Roll Trading Cards and ATCs Book
Artist Trading Card Workshop Book

Donated by Ranie Patridis to be raffle

GOODIE BAG TAGS
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/500/large/1_10-001AM_sm_CA_AFA_Gathering_Tag.jpg

Sponsorship or "Grant" monies for the CA Gathering

If you would like to sponsor someone to come to our Gathering please contact Chatty, thank you....

CALIFORNIA ATTRACTION CHALLENGE

1st Place goes to DebbaPeot
2nd Place goes to Curbsidetreasure
3rd Place goes to Beckster

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/500/large/1_AFA_Monterey_DebbaPeot_1st_place_sm.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/500/large/1_GoldenGateBridge_Annie_Curbsidetreasure_sm.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/500/large/1_California_Attraction_Challenge_3rd_Place_sm.jpg

To view the rest of the entries please visit Chatty Gallery or go to our Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/groups/caatcgathering/

I tried to post all the entries in here but it wouldn't let me next year I will have to do something different :yes::D

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-23-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm up for Monterey ~ sure is a beautiful area!!

JoyFlower
07-23-2009, 09:25 AM
I'll wait to see what y'all decide, and then join the party if I can. Woot! So exciting!

katilady
07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
i'm interested and i would like to throw eureka into the hat. http://www.ci.eureka.ca.gov/

chatty
07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Okay ladies lets pass the word around I know there are more Californias out there.

Katilady I will throw in Eureka too. Thanks!

NancyL
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm a used-to-be California person. If there is a live trading session whatever and it works into our schedule for taking our once a year trip to California, I'm interested in coming.
We lived in Campbell for 30 some years and in Santa Clara County for 50 plus years.

chatty
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Nancy when do you come to California?

CattyCat
07-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I'll be lurking and any and all of these places are dooable for me.

GoldenWolf
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
My boyfriend and I go at least once a year to visit his son who lives in the Bay area. We don't have any trips there planned at the moment, but I will keep an eye on this thread to see if any of the gatherings coincide with a trip out there. The closer to the Bay area, the better although it has been years since I went to Monterey. I would love to go there again.

chatty
07-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I see two for Monterey.....

curbsidetreasure
07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
i'm interested in meeting up.
i'd have to hitch a ride with someone, preferably from the bay area to get to any of those places.
davis is the closest i believe to me. but i am kind of dependent on getting transportation somehow because i don't drive.

chatty
07-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Okay, we shall see what we can do curbsidetreasure....gotta get you there! :jiggy:

curbsidetreasure
07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
thanks chatty! i would love to meet you all.
i think i can take amtrak to davis. i dunno about the other places...

katilady
07-23-2009, 02:42 PM
maybe getting a poll up would help.

IrishRose
07-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm in So. Cali so not sure if I would be able to do this but if so, Monterey would be the closest for me. Chatty, I do believe hotel rates go up at the end of May (Memorial Day holiday) which is considered the start of "high" season but it could be sooner so it bears checking out.

Topaz
07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Monterey sounds great. I am interested but will have to see closer to the time of the event as we may be moving???????? It is being considered

curbsidetreasure
07-23-2009, 04:32 PM
if it's in the spring months, i would prefer a weekend. or possibly friday to sunday so we have a little bit more time than 2 days.

chatty
07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Topaz where are you moving too?

curbsidetreasure once we decide on a location we will be looking at dates. I would assume it would be a weekend. Saturday for sure maybe coming in Friday leaving Sunday. It all depends on what everyone else wants to do...

katilady I'll put the poll up as soon as the word gets out more I just sent off this morning PMs to those that live in California......

Irish Rose how far south are you?

NancyL
07-23-2009, 05:24 PM
We are fairly flexible when planning our trip to Calif. the last two times I went were winter months and I am certainly not interested in doing that anytime soon! For 2010, we were thinking more like May or June. Monterey would work for me also.
So far the only time I have been able to trade face to face with any ATC artisit was this last spring when Lemurkat visited Hawaii. Also when I joined almost a year ago, almost all the swaps were from the eastern part of the US. I got excited when I started seeing that there were AFA members from Calif, Oregon and WA.

nancyjb
07-23-2009, 06:13 PM
I have a place to stay in Eureka so that's my first choice. Anywhere else that Southwest Airlines fly to would be alright! Some of the towns you've chosen may be difficult to get flights in to.

Probably before memorial day weekend would be better prices.

There are three of us in San Diego and we meet every month or two: me, rapa, and dolphinprincess. In fact we are all meeting SeekingforArt here on Monday!

Littlebit
07-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Sounds like fun and I vote for Davis. I'd like to go to Monterey or Chico but I know myself well enough to know that I won't drive that far.

Marla412
07-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Monterey sounds best to me. But Davis or Eureka are good too. (Heck, I LIVE in Davis!) Anywho....May sounds good to me BEFORE IT GETS HOT!!

ANNIE (curbsidetreasure) You can get a ride with me!! ROAD TRIP!! Or if it's up this way hop on Bart to Richmond then Amtrak to Davis and you can ride with me. We'll make it work!!

This sounds very exciting!

DolphinPrincess
07-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I was born in San Jose and lived there for about 25 years. I now live in Oceanside, CA (just north of San Diego and the Mexico boarder). Monterey seems to be the city closest to the middle of the state, so it would be my choice... it is also a beautiful area that I would love to see again.

lindamay
07-23-2009, 11:25 PM
I am in Oakland (across the bay from SF) and would love to come to something in California. I might not go as far away as LA, but Monterey on up to Eureka works for me.
I can 'pool' with a couple locals either way.
Coastal - the best weather is in the fall. Inland - very cold in winter and very hot in summer. If people are interested in combining their trip here with a SF area trip, Pacifica is a coastal town that is just 20 minutes (by car) from downtown SF and maybe 30 minutes from the Airport. The rooms are more reasonable and it has a more small town feel. There is an RV park there for those that may want to travel that way.

CupcakeDD
07-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I have family in Eureka, so that would be fun - also good option for anyone coming from Oregon. Monterey is nice too!! Can't wait to hear more!:rolleyes:

curbsidetreasure
07-24-2009, 12:08 AM
yeah roadtrip with Marla!

hey lindamay, it's good to see another bay area member :) if it's possible we could car pool it. dadreemer also lives in the east bay...

i'm for davis or monterey or anywhere someone could give me a ride. :P
of course i will chip in for gas money.

CattyCat
07-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Monterey has a great place called Asilomar, maybe worth looking at. Maybe too pricey. But maybe we could double up and split costs. :rolleyes:

curbsidetreasure
07-24-2009, 12:48 AM
asilomar is kind of pricey. i don't know if i could afford it...

chatty
07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Delighted to see so many coming in....I was thinking that if all us California's could meet once a year for a live trade that would be marvelous. What do you think?

I'm going to open a poll this weekend this way we can see where the majority wants to hold the first California ATC Gathering. Then we will go from there. ...*smile*...

smokeysmom
07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I live in Central CA, Porterville (near Visalia), Tulare County....Fresno is 1-1/2 hrs. North of where I live, and the Bay Area is 4 hrs. away...I'm pretty flexible...I love the idea of getting together with other California artists:)

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Maggie,
Take the 46 Hwy. over to my house (Atascadero) and then I'll drive us the rest of the way!!
Carpool, baby!

Lois
07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
DAVIS is a great place! Yeah, let's meet in Davis!
(Okay, so I'm biased because I live here. But, then, I live here 'cause it's such a great place to live!)

We have a local face-to-face ATC Exchange Club in this area and lots of people experienced in putting on TS (trade sessions). I'd be happy to help with the logistics; and I'm sure other club members would like to help during the event. Depending upon the day(s) and number of people, I can get us either free or low-cost meeting space.

Davis is near the Sacramento airport (for those who fly), has a great train depot (for those who like rail), and is on I-80 near I-5 (for automobilers).

Let's AVOID Mother's Day weekend, as I think meeting then would greatly cut our attendance.

Schedule: My first thought was to offer a "What's an ATC?" presentation as a pre-event on Friday night (to help local artists "discover" ATCs), then do the main event Saturday: registration at 10:00, with schmoozing and an open TS until noon, a few "show-&-tell" demos during lunch (either catered or potluck), then either a workshop or play time from 1:00-3:00, with a final TS starting at 3:00. Then finish before dinnertime.

If some attendees wanted to, we could help them get tickets to whatever is in production at the University's Drama Department that night; or we could lead a tour to some of the many art exhibits in Sacramento.

One day is enough, isn't it? Or would some folks like to have a second morning of ATC activities?

Lois
07-24-2009, 04:21 PM
... If there is a live trading session whatever and it works into our schedule for taking our once a year trip to California, I'm interested in coming.

The ATC Exchange Club meets MONTHLY (except August), so whenever you get to California I can guarantee at least one TS!

If you'd like to get notices of meetings, you can sign up at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ATCs-Cal
or just email me at the time and I'll be able to tell you the location that month.

We usually meet the third Saturday on each month. Except in May when we meet at the "Whole Earth Festival" during Mother's Day weekend and have a table in the art area inviting fair-goers to sit down and make ATCs with us. (It's a gas!! We've done it three years now, and everyone loves it.)

Young or old, new or expert, everyone is welcome.

katilady
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
One day is enough, isn't it? Or would some folks like to have a second morning of ATC activities?

no, one day isn't enough, at least for those of us traveling. i'd like to get some bang for my buck. :)

curbsidetreasure
07-24-2009, 07:30 PM
if people are coming from around norcal or further we really should make it a weekend. i agree with katilady because 1 day is not enough! i remember hanging out with adriayna (dana) for a day and i wish we could have done 2 days instead. same with marla412!

curbsidetreasure
07-24-2009, 07:31 PM
however - the free/low cost meeting space sounds like a really good thing, lois.

also the thing about the art for all retreat was that you could make art around the clock. i was kind of hoping for that aspect. but we'll have to see.

it depends on what location we decide on and then where to hold the event.

Casssita
07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, its too far north for me. However, I think it's a great idea!

Linda4atc
07-24-2009, 09:32 PM

I shouldn't say this because I don't even know if I could attend. But Someone in Southern CA should look into rates for a block of rooms with a craft room with table and chairs on a Ensenada Cruise. All meals would be included, crafting hopefully would be available all night. I'd suggest at least two keys one for the last person up to lock up and the other for an early riser to open up in the morning. Remember sodas, wine and alcahol drinks would be extra but we can find out how much on the tips ahead of time.

Many years ago my quilt guild did a cruise like this and 26 of us went. WE had a blast! We did not do crafts on the ship, all the sewingmachines would have been a problem. But we had a contest where we were all given certain fabrics ahead of time. We each made a wallhanging quilt and picked winners on the cruise. We planned on just doing it for ourselves but the cruise line liked the idea of a quilt show so they provided a room (I think there was an attendant, I know we did not have to watch it) the passengers were able to come in, and actually vote for their favorites. LOL so funny now, but I don't remember for sure, my quilt got either 3rd place or an honorable mention. It was an under water scene with a mermaid and octopus examining all the treasures they found in a treasure chest filled with beaded jewels.

I think there are a couple of cruise lines doing it and We maybe able to do it for around $200 per person double occupancy. Most rooms would take four people if money is really tight and that would lower the cost more but rooms are tiny and sharing the bathroom wouldn't be much fun with everyone trying to dress for dinner etc.

chatty
07-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Cassita how far South are you?? Can you car pool with someone??

Lois If the even is held some place else will you still organize the events??

For me everyone I will be driving anywheres from 4-6 hours one way. Katilady and Linda4atc we should car pool....Those of you are are way south if you guys could car pool that would be really neat for I would love to meet you all in person.

I agree on Mother's Day and Memorial Weekend is not good. So if we have it in May we are looking at either the first (1st) weekend or the third (3rd) weekend of May unless we have it in April...if we hold it before summer starts I believe the rates are more reasonable in the Motels/Hotels. I just visit my brother this summer and I stayed in motel little expensive for one but I shared a room with my mother so it only cost me half and on top of this the motel offer Continental Breakfast at no add cost. So it can be reasonable everyone, some of us may want to share room! ...don't get discourage! ..*smile*..

Okay, I'm going to go see about putting a poll up then we can start planning.

curbsidetreasure
07-24-2009, 09:40 PM
yes, please get a poll up :) that way we can see what locations people are interested in...

chatty
07-24-2009, 10:20 PM
:jiggy: sorry, hubby came in with Supper my nose just autmactically followed that good some smell ..giggle.. POLL is UP! Go vote!

Lois
07-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Since California is almost 800 miles long (that's like from Delaware to Florida!), maybe we should arrange TWO events -- one in the north next May and one in the south the following fall.

chatty
07-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I was hoping that we could centralize the location so all in California could meet half way...it would be nice if we could do this a yearly event...

Have two one for the North and South that is okay too if that is what everyone wants to do. I won't be able to come in the Fall due to business here ..BUT.. that does not mean you can not have it in the Fall too... lets see what everyone wants to do...

Marla412
07-25-2009, 01:04 AM
I think someone mentioned Pacifica. Nice place. Good weather and near lots of fun things to do if people wanted to sight see/shop. Not too far from airport either (i think). Very central for the northerners and the southerners. Just an idea...

chatty
07-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Pacifica, oh my I wish I new this earlier ..sigh.. I'll make note to add it for next year. I really want to get this going for ALL Californias a place for us to meet at least once a year. I myself have live in these mountains for over 20 years, I don't leave them much either it is always interesting when I go down into the flat lands. ..*smile*..

chatty
07-25-2009, 09:02 AM
VOTE

Come on in and vote, voting is up till August 3rd I thought that 10 days would be enough for us to decide which location we would like to have our 1st CA ATC Gathering...

CattyCat
07-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I voted. Monterey seems to be off and running, but everyone needs to think about how costly that area is. Price isn't an issue to me, and I love Monterey, but with the economy the way it is............:unsure: this might be a deterant for some and less peeps could show up.

Of course I'm partial to Davis (so close). If people were flying into Sacramento Airport, I think there probably are shuttles between Davis and the Airport. Just a thought.

Dadreemer
07-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I am delighted to see that a California meet up is happening! Thanx for taking this on Chatty!

Not adding a vote just yet because my funds are limited atm (unemployed). It's day to day for me. No telling what 2010 will bring, but I am optimistic.

katilady
07-25-2009, 09:03 PM
yea, i am not sure monterrey would work for me, but we'll see.

Thorn
07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm not living in CA anymore, but I might be able to attend if it were in Eureka - my mom still lives there. And I'd love an excuse to visit Monterey... Are former Californians invited?

katilady
07-25-2009, 09:54 PM
i'd love to meet you thorn!

CattyCat
07-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Personally I would hope anyone from anywhere who wanted to join us in CA would be invited. But that is just my thought.

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I love for you to come, Thorn!
:yes:

chatty
07-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Thorn and anyone else this is OPEN to ALL who ever wants to come may come...We are just setting up our First California Live Swap.

curbsidetreasure
07-26-2009, 01:47 AM
yes, please keep cost into consideration. i'm sure we all are, with the economy and all.
maybe i'm an optimist, but there has to be fairly affordable places in monterey...

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Schedule: My first thought was to offer a "What's an ATC?" presentation as a pre-event on Friday night (to help local artists "discover" ATCs), then do the main event

Do you really think local newbies will be attending?

I kind of had the impression (in order to keep this as simple and easy as possible for all of us) that it would just be us members of AFA coming to the meetup.

Personally, I'd just like to get right down to it: meeting each other, swapping/trading and having workshops where we teach each other our favorite techniques...having to teach a bunch of newbie locals seems like a waste of time, considering how time-constant the weekend entire weekend will be in the first place.

In order to make things the most affordable for all of us, I suggest we just stay one night (Saturday night) and have our first meeting on Saturday afternoon as soon as we all get there, spend Saturday night together having a blast and one more meeting on Sunday before we all take leave.
Just throwing out some ideas...:)

Linda4atc
07-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Here are my thoughts ...

I don't think it has to be open to just members. When Eureka was first mentioned I thought of a couple of people I know who would probably enjoy going. But they already do ATC's.

I didn't speak up before but I was thinking that the it was ok to have the newbie intro but it should be seperate since I too would rather be meeting members. Maybe we could have a little social with a newbie table set up in the corner or something.

And I would prefer to include Friday, but maybe do something that will not be real major incase people can't be there on Friday.

sgirl58
07-26-2009, 01:42 PM
How about Pleasanton area or Modesto area? I live in Sonora. This sounds like fun.

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-26-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't think it has to be open to just members. When Eureka was first mentioned I thought of a couple of people I know who would probably enjoy going. But they already do ATC's.

I didn't speak up before but I was thinking that the it was ok to have the newbie intro but it should be seperate since I too would rather be meeting members. Maybe we could have a little social with a newbie table set up in the corner or something.

I agree that it should be open to everyone - not just AFA members - but I was kind of hoping that they would already know what ATCs are so we don't have to go through an "Intro to ATCs" class/workshop. But a little newbie table in the corner is good idea, just in case.
Sorry for the confusion...:huh:

For money's sake, tho, I still think Saturday night only will make this all that much more affordable.

curbsidetreasure
07-26-2009, 02:48 PM
i'd rather be meeting members of this site too and those who are into atcs already.

it's not that i don't enjoy getting newbies into atcs/mail art/chunkies/whatever else, but i'd rather have a intense art-making session going starting in the afternoon, going into the night.& then into the next morning/afternoon because right now, to meet everyone we don't have the luxury of meeting once a month. we have quick weekend at the most as i'm sure a lot of us are on a tight budget.

i think there's just a difference between a local atc trading vs. a gathering that's more like an art retreat and people are from all over parts of CA and possibly elsewhere...

chatty
07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Sgirl58 for this time you need to vote on the cities listed above and please do come. Next time we will try another location hoping to get it more centralize. We want all California ATC members to come.

This event is for AFA/ATCsforALL members. We all met in ATCsforALL on-line group. This little get together that we are organizing is to get AFA members together to get acquainted with each other, live trades and simple Work Shop. Please let us remember that we are a ON-LINE GROUP arranging to meet "fellow on-line" AFA/ATCsforALL members for Live Trades and Work Shops.

Linda4atc I would suggest that you get your fellow artist friends to join us on-line at ATCsforALL. Once they have join us, they will value more this California ATC Gathering and what it means to us.

Yes, CentralCaliGrrrl has it right this is to be a cost efficient simple gathering of all AFA/ATCsforALL members. It does not matter where you live all are WELCOME to come

...and maybe down the road as we get more familiar with our California ATC Gathering that we could work with the local artist..but..for now please let us keep this with our own members for now. ..*smile*..

I see CentralCaliGrrrl you step in while I was writing this. There is no confusion ..*smile*.. just open friendly discussion. ..*smile*..

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Cool, cool! ;)

Linda4atc
07-26-2009, 03:59 PM
It's ok I understand members only.

I was only thinking if it was in Eureka, I know these two are very busy and wouldn't travel for this. And they are not members so it doesn't matter ;) no problem.

They are the Scrapbook store owner (she has a monthly ATC meeting) and the friend who started me on ATC's. She is a moderator of another online group, and with work is always busy. She did join here once but I think she only did one swap. She is more comfortable and very busy with her own online group. Some of our members are there to. I joined it but I'm busy enough over here, lol, got to have some life outside of ATC's. LOL

chatty
07-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Linda4atc, thank you for understanding dear.

I look like right now Monterey is ahead.....Your scrapbook friends sounds very interesting encourage her to come back to ATCsforALL let her know what we are planning would love to have her join us. But, yes, this is for our on-line ATCsforALL members.

nancyjb
07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
I voted for Davis because it's the only choice that Southwest Airlines flies anywhere near (Sacramento) although in Eureka I would have a place to stay (along with the other San Diegans if they like.)

katilady
07-26-2009, 08:21 PM
For money's sake, tho, I still think Saturday night only will make this all that much more affordable.

honestly, i won't go if it's just saturday night.

CattyCat
07-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Personally I would hope anyone from anywhere who is a member of this site (i.e. AFA) and who wanted to join us in CA would be invited. Meaning not only California members. But that is just my thought.

When I wrote this I meant the "red edits"

CattyCat
07-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I would vote for it being 2 days long, one night stay over. People coming from a long ways away, of course, might come a day earlier, and/or leave a day later meaning they would stay over 2-3 nights. All doing that, when the time gets closer could coordinate with each other to hook up for meals and hanging out or whatever.

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I would vote for it being 2 days long, one night stay over. People coming from a long ways away, of course, might come a day earlier, and/or leave a day later meaning they would stay over 2-3 nights. All doing that, when the time gets closer could coordinate with each other to hook up for meals and hanging out or whatever.

I agree, Catty!

I might stay two nights, but just to make things easy on myself. I don't think we should make this a "mandatory requirement" though.

This weekend should focus mostly on Saturday afternoon/night & Sunday morning/afternoon.

rapa
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
If this were to be an annual event, I think mixing up the venues each year from Northern, Central & Southern CA and even the Ensenada cruise would be more interesting and fun. I'm voting on Eureka - may have a free place to stay!

Linda4atc
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I agree, Catty!

I might stay two nights, but just to make things easy on myself. I don't think we should make this a "mandatory requirement" though.

This weekend should focus mostly on Saturday afternoon/night & Sunday morning/afternoon.

I think the only reason any requirements would be given is if the place we were staying required certain things... and whoever was organizing it would probably discuss this with us before locking in the deal...

That said ...I don't think most places will require two nights, but I am not sure. I do know that many places in Las Vegas do require Friday and Saturday be booked as a two night stay.

If this were to be an annual event, I think mixing up the venues each year from Northern, Central & Southern CA and even the Ensenada cruise would be more interesting and fun. I'm voting on Eureka - may have a free place to stay!

LOL doesn't look as though Eureka will be first choice...

I think either alternating North and South locations is a good idea. Calif is a long state, it will be hard for someone either place. But getting closer to middle like Monterey will make it easier for a larger number of people.....

Chatty is trying to accomadate as many of us as she can...

There may still be another one scheduled farther south, by someone down the line as well ....

chatty
07-27-2009, 03:26 PM
CentralCaliGrrrl

has graciously offer and accepted to help me plan our California ATC Gathering. As we know more CentralCaliGrrrl and I will let you all know the details. Please WELCOME CentralCaliGrrrl and give her a BIG thank you for helping in this great event for all of us.

I see we are busy ..*smile*.. I would like to make this an Annual Event as for the location, I think that needs a tad more discussing I do want to keep in mind though that the more we centralize the area in California traveling wise it is easier on everyone. I like the Bay are the best just because it is usually cooler than the valley and mountains.

CattyCat This is a California ATC Gathering that is OPEN to ALL AFA/ATCsforALL members. As soon as I know the exact location and date we will get the word out to everyone.

I would reccomend that everyone plan for 2 night stay it is not mandatory you decide what is best for you. I know I will be checking in on Friday so I can be there all day Saturday and leave Sunday Morning after our last gathering. For our first one, we are only planning for one full day of trading and workshops and a final get together Sunday morning. I am hopping that everyone will show up Friday night were we can get together for supper and get acquainted and who knows what will happen after that! ..giggle..

Katilady come on dear where is your spirit. This is not just any old gathering this is our on-line ATCsforALL members get together...beside there is nothing saying you can't stay longer and do some sight seeing. If it is held in Monterey be a great place for vacationing.....

NancyL
07-28-2009, 12:02 AM
I will come wherever this event is held. I voted for Davis as I think it might be less costly than Monterey. and I think there might be more things for my other half to do.
But Monterey is beautiful.
I am still excited that some sort of in-person AFA event is being planned.
An idea would be to have name tags with both your user name and your other name. If i don't see both names, no names will stick to the face. But I am fairly friendly and don't need to have names to talk to people. My children used to be critical of how I start conversations with just anyone. Here in Hawaii, talking to anyone is encouraged...its called talkign story.

Linda4atc
07-28-2009, 12:19 AM
The nametags are a good idea. Maybe one of us could get a bunch of those plastic nametag holders that clip on. Then we each make a decorated nametag (with both names) taht fits in them and bring it along.

Marla412
07-28-2009, 01:06 AM
I voted for Monterey just because I like it, but I'd go anywhere. I'd rather go where it is most convenient/affordable for the most who want to attend. Is there any way to revise the poll and put an "i'll go anywhere" category and transfer the votes of those who don't care where the heck it is?? (Just gotta stir things up, right??) LOL

I would want to go for more than one night, but if it's only for a Sat night there is nothing saying you can't go ahead of time. Those who can, can and those who can only do one night, do just one night. No big deal.

I agree with it being members-only, wherever they may be.

ATCs are not exactly rocket science. Yes, I know there are more advanced techniques, composition, color, etc. that the more experienced artist will have an easier time with. That said, I think throwing all levels in together gives everyone a chance to learn from each other. The newbies from the oldies on technique, etc. The oldies can pick up on the enthusiasm and a new way of looking at things from the newbie perspective. It can be about the process, not the result. Or you can have a little of both.

I live in Davis too. It's an OK place to live, but I'm not sure there's much to come here for. Very small town. Not sure about accomodations, there just isn't that much here from what I've seen. And traffic in and out of here on Fri, Sat & Sun can be a nightmare if you don't time it right. Sometimes it's a nightmare no matter. Just a few thoughts..

curbsidetreasure
07-28-2009, 01:18 AM
marla, i think we were talking about newbies who are not members of atcsforall at all

lois was suggesting a 'intro to atcs' to locals in the area but we've decided to just keep it members only to keep it simple.

i wonder if davis has the accomodations such as meeting rooms in hotels? otherwise monterey could be a decent bet. if you go to monterey's website, it looks like the hotels have meeting rooms (probably have to contact them of course) and we should be able to share rooms to save money.

chatty
07-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Suggestion on Name Tags:

How about we each make our own name tag, ATC size, list your user name and real name. Then decorate to your heart delight...You can buy the name tag pins I believe at Michaels metal ones...

Found them at JoAnns online...

Darice 1 1/4 inch Nickel Plated Pins
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat1937&PRODID=xprd75044

Darice 3/4 inch Brass Back Pins
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat1937&PRODID=xprd75469

....lets not forget we need to make up ATCs special for this event to trade....

chatty
07-28-2009, 02:16 AM
One more thing, I must have miss this somewhere but to be clear everyone CentralCaliGrrrl and I are planning for a Full (1) Day Event This will be held on Saturday I am not sure yet about Sunday morning we are still working out the details but please note it is ALL DAY SATURDAY for sure....

We are looking at Hotels with Conference Rooms, we may have to pay a little extra for the Conference room...As soon as we know for sure where we are going to have our first event at we will get right on it. ..*smile*.. Excited me am how about you all???

Marla412 your funny ..giggle.. just gotta stir it up, love it! ..giggle.. too late for this time, next year though we can add it ..giggle.. your funny!

NancyL what is does your other half like to do???

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-28-2009, 03:12 AM
I love the ATC name tag idea ~ I want to get started making mine right now and the gathering is still months away!!!:cute:

Lois
07-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Lois If the even is held some place else will you still organize the events??

Chatty --

I'll be happy to help.

One suggestion is to not limit possible meeting rooms to hotels. Often there is a local art group or store that has a meeting room with lots of work tables. Also some schools will team up with folks. And local libraries might provide a free space.

The less expensive the event, the more folks can join us.

Do you really think local newbies will be attending?
I kind of had the impression ... that it would just be us members of AFA coming to the meetup.

I guess I wasn't clear.

I agree the main event should just be for AfA members.

But, since I just always like to encourage more people to get interested in our addiction, I was suggesting that for folks who wanted to get a jump start on the meetup, we might do a publicity gig the night before -- sharing our experience with local artists who were new to ATC-making. I look at it as good publicity for AfA and ATCs in general.

But that was just a first thought. I'm easy about details.

I voted for Davis because it's the only choice that Southwest Airlines flies anywhere near (Sacramento) ...

Nancy --

If you'd like to carpool, I can pick you up at the airport and drive us to anywhere in northern California. (If it's in LA or further south, I'll probably not go.)

Lois
07-28-2009, 03:46 AM
It's been less than a week since this thread was started, so we might want to wait a bit before setting any plans in concrete.

I think we should FIRST decide which city is preferred of those interested in coming, and THEN look at what accomodations are available there. (If things don't work out well for that city, we can always locate the event in our second choice city.) Do we have any members who are familiar with Monterrey and might tell us what's available there -- other than commercial conference centers?

... i wonder if davis has the accomodations such as meeting rooms in hotels? otherwise monterey could be a decent bet. if you go to monterey's website, it looks like the hotels have meeting rooms (probably have to contact them of course) and we should be able to share rooms to save money.

Yes, Davis has lots of places to hold meetings -- including a new conference center on the UCD campus. (I'm sure all the cities listed would have some place to meet.) The question will be how much we are willing to pay and which weekends are still available. (Many meetings and conferences are booked more than a year in advance. We should still be able to find space, but the "bargains" may already be taken.)

katilady
07-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Katilady come on dear where is your spirit. This is not just any old gathering this is our on-line ATCsforALL members get together...beside there is nothing saying you can't stay longer and do some sight seeing. If it is held in Monterey be a great place for vacationing.....

was just stating the facts ma'am, got nothing to do with spirit. ;)

CattyCat
07-28-2009, 12:36 PM
A few links: (sorry I don't know how to make a link into one word)

Monterey Itself: http://www.monterey.org

The Monterey Acquarium (a must if you haven't been):
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

Cheap Lodging in Monterey:
http://reservations.comparediscounthotels.com/index.jsp?pageName=hotNetList&cid=85890&city=MONTEREY&stateProvince=CA&country=US&hotel=&temp1=2_37_85890_CDH-TopUSCity_1&temp2=cheap+monterey+lodging

NancyL
07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
My other half (who is really NOT a shopper) does like to visit stores on the Mainland, such as hobby stores. He has a fantastic HO train layout in half of the garage as well as a new lay out in the living room.) He also likes to visit book stores. I was thinking if our event was Davis, he could also go into Sacramento. But I know there are book stores in Monterey.
We have family in the bay area so will combine this trip with our annual Mainland trip.

Tea_Roll
07-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Hmmm.. all of these would be a trip for me, sense I live in the Central Valley. I can't decide which I would want to go to. Haven't been to Monterey in like forever! I'll be going to Hollister for Ren Faire. And Davis has always been nice and sunny every time I've gone. So torn and confused, which to choose, which to choose!

VikiTee
07-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Wish there were more choices closer to the southern border. D:
I have school during the spring so that's probabully a bad idea for me to go if it's too far away

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Lois,
I'm a member of your Yahoo ATCs-Cal group!
I've never been able to attend any of your meetings because I live too far away, but I love reading your posts and getting to hear all about the cool things you do to promote ATCs! You were kind of my inspiration when I starting my own local trading group (see my signature below). :)
Since I know first hand all that you do for the ATC community, I can honestly say that we are very lucky to have you! :yes:
xoxox

chatty
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Nancy, I found this in surround area of Monterey....

Santa Cruz County Railroad Histl SCTY & MDL RLRD C
Distance: 27.10 miles 2601 East Lake Avenue,
Watsonville, CA 95076
(831) 768-8211

..and go here
http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Monterey+Hobby+Shop&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&ei=_1NvSpfxO4iosgOPuMT3Ag&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1

Looks like in Gilroy there is a great Train Hobby Shop....these are little town around Montery Bay....

...and here is a list of Book Stores in Monterey Area too...
http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Monterey+California+Book+Stores&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=_lRvSuGgPIqotgOc44T9Ag&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1

CattyCat thank you for the Hotel List, we will work as hard as we can to make it very affordable. ..*smile*..

katilady your a doll, ..*smile*.. don't forget you can still travel with Linda4atc and I. And I'm sure we can share a room with someone....My husband keep thinking he might want to come...NOT SURE THOUGH anyway we will work something out....

VikiTee keep us in mind, we have not settle on a date yet, and it just may work out where you can come.

nightmare420me you are a riot and a big tease!!

WELCOME aboard Lois I sent you a PM....

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Wish there were more choices closer to the southern border. D:
I have school during the spring so that's probabully a bad idea for me to go if it's too far away

When's your spring break? Just wondering... :huh:

SilverFrostGoddess
07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I voted for Monterey.
I'll be attending, no matter where we end up meeting, but since this may be the only "vacation" I get next year, I'd like it to be someplace beautiful like Monterey!

chatty
07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
ATTENTION PLEASE

We are discovering in order for us to get any kind of feed back from the Hotels we need a Reservation Date and how many people attending. We are looking at this date:

April 30th Friday & May 1st Saturday
You will be checking in on Friday the event is ALL DAY Saturday

Please let us know if you are planning on coming so we can have a ball figure number to give them. Thank you!

Once we know our location we need to reserve the Hotel early so we can be in one location. This is a GO my fellow Artist we are very serious about this. I'm so excited!

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Of course I'm going and I'll be bringing SilverFrostGoddess and FatManRed with me. Those dates are fine with us! :yes:
My husband is thinking about tagging along too - something about fishing...:eek:

curbsidetreasure
07-28-2009, 08:24 PM
i am pretty sure this is a good date for me.
so count me in.

nancyjb
07-28-2009, 09:13 PM
That date is ok with me.

CattyCat
07-29-2009, 12:48 AM

Before I will commit I'd like a ballpark figure on how much the lodging will be for a single occupancy room. Are we talking $ 50, $80, $125 errrrrrr??

Oh and what hotels/motels are you looking at?

That time of year it will probably be coldish and possibly still stormy.

lindamay
07-29-2009, 02:31 AM
Works for me. Count me in.

I agree there may be some low-cost venues available in Monterey.
such as the Monterey Peninsula College (a community college that is close to the downtown area). There may be a scrap book type store in the area that would welcome the attention? Or an art center?
I take an enamel class at MPC and I will ask around if there are any suggestions. Some of the people in the class are Monterey residents, and may know.
Wont' be able to ask until Friday, if you can wait that long?
lm

ATTENTION PLEASE

We are discovering in order for us to get any kind of feed back from the Hotels we need a Reservation Date and how many people attending. We are looking at this date:

curbsidetreasure
07-29-2009, 02:40 AM
if we check in friday perhaps we could have a mini event like a trading session? and dinner?
i'm definitely open to another meeting place then a hotel meeting room especially if it cuts costs down.

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-29-2009, 02:50 AM
if we check in friday perhaps we could have a mini event like a trading session? and dinner?

Yeah, that's kind of what we were thinking too!

CattyCat - I'm trying to get the rooms (double beds) for $100 a night. If some of us share rooms, the savings should be pretty nice!
I can't guarantee that price, but it's looking pretty good...

chatty
07-29-2009, 10:33 AM
We are looking into a Hotel with a conference room thinking it would be easier to have everyone in one location...this is what we are looking at and why we will need volunteers to help pull this off.

Live Trading Session

Bring Plenty of cards to trade
:rolleyes:
Work Shop

:jiggy:
GoodieBags
:D

As you can see we will have a full busy day and we are still thinking what else we could add!.....We are planning for a full ONE DAY event. This is why you need to check in Friday. As we get furthing into our planning I'm assuming that we will all want to meet somewhere Friday night to eat and get together if possible.

...but for us to get a price from the Hotels for a Group Gathering we need to settle on a date and approximately how many people are coming for us to find out what the Hotels will offer...

I just wanted to add here, we decided that with us all coming from all over California and maybe from out of the state we would like to have it a bit more than just a live atc trading session. We are still working out the details, I just know you will have the time of your life.

NancyL
07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Count me in. My husband will be coming along but doing his own thing.

Chatty, when I read him the post where you researched book stories and hobby stoires, he was impressed that you would do that research just for him.

goatgoddess
07-29-2009, 12:31 PM
how exciting - if I don't have too many baby goats I might just have to fly in for a long weekend - I've been wanting to get back to Calif for the longest - use to live in Napa and before that Vallejo.

lilbad
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I might consider driving down if I can get someone to go with me. Love Monterey.

chatty
07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Ah Nancy till your hubby he is quiet WELCOME ..*smile*.. I think it is wondeful that he is coming with you. My husband has not quiet decided if he is or not. I'm working on him.

Goatgoddess I do hope you come ..*smile*..

lilbad we shall see what we can do about that. If we can get you to Redding, CA you can ride down with me. ..*smile*..

curbsidetreasure
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
lilbad and goatgoddess i hope you can join us! would love to meet you both :)

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
lilbad and goatgoddess i hope you can join us! would love to meet you both :)
Me too!

NancyL
07-29-2009, 04:52 PM
we have already tentatively planned our California trip, starting with the gathering. Afterwards we'll drive down to visit our son in Carlsbad.
I noticed on the trading art materials forum, a used rubber stamp swap. We could do that! Anyone that has unwanted rubber stamps could bring them along and trade with someone else. and my husband pointed out, you won't have to pay postage!
and another thing I'm thinking about is a raffle of sorts. In Hawaii, a lot of events have raffles. Everyone would get a ticket in their goodie bag. then the ticket numbers would be picked and posted. If your number comes up, you get a prize! And the best part is that I will supply the prizes. since this is sort of a Hawaii-thing, I would provide Hawaii-themed prizes.....rubber stamps, Hawaii-themed printed papers, Asian text, fancy origami paper. these will not be pricey prizes. But I am sure I could assemble several plastic baggie-worth of raffle prizes. I think this would be fun. When is winning not fun?

chatty
07-29-2009, 06:32 PM
NancyL I love thi idea, I'm going to PM you...*smile*...

katilady
07-29-2009, 10:18 PM
would love to meet you cheryl!

katilady
07-30-2009, 12:09 AM
that would be awesome! i have a feeling we would get along fab!

chatty
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Four more day, then POLLs will be close for voting on Location. It looks like Monterey is in the lead so far.

Linda4atc
07-30-2009, 04:48 PM
we have already tentatively planned our California trip, starting with the gathering. Afterwards we'll drive down to visit our son in Carlsbad.
I noticed on the trading art materials forum, a used rubber stamp swap. We could do that! Anyone that has unwanted rubber stamps could bring them along and trade with someone else. and my husband pointed out, you won't have to pay postage!
and another thing I'm thinking about is a raffle of sorts. In Hawaii, a lot of events have raffles. Everyone would get a ticket in their goodie bag. then the ticket numbers would be picked and posted. If your number comes up, you get a prize! And the best part is that I will supply the prizes. since this is sort of a Hawaii-thing, I would provide Hawaii-themed prizes.....rubber stamps, Hawaii-themed printed papers, Asian text, fancy origami paper. these will not be pricey prizes. But I am sure I could assemble several plastic baggie-worth of raffle prizes. I think this would be fun. When is winning not fun?

Wow the second hand rubberstamp swap and Raffel sound wonderful!!!

:wub:

I too had an idea. For a different kind of project I could organize....

Supply Trade and Make ATC Challenges Swap

Everyone interested would bring a ziiploc bag with their name and username on it... (for each swap they want to enter).... inside would be ... two pieces of paper with their name, username and address .... also

2 different ATC mixed media supplies, enough to make three atcs
things like 3-iimages(same), 3-pieces of textured paper(same), 3-brads(same), 3-flowers(same), 3-small amounts of glitter or embossing powder(labeled) ... small things like the brads maybe 2 for each of the three.

Then I would collect all the named baggies. I would sort them out into sets of three. Mix the suppies up so each bag has items from all three bags, and return them to you.

You would then take them home and make three atcs using at least 4 of the items on each. You should scan them so we can all see what you made and then keep one and mail the other two to the people/address in your baggies.

I got this idea from some challenges done in the cardmaking or scrapbook magazines where everyone was provided certain supplies and then made their page or card from them. I have thought about this for sometime, but it seemed to complicated to organize through the normal swap means. I think if it is set up at a live swap it will work.

Dadreemer
07-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Wow the second hand rubberstamp swap and Raffel sound wonderful!!!

:wub:

Everyone interested would bring a ziiploc bag with their name and username on it... (for each swap they want to enter).... inside would be ... two pieces of paper with their name, username and address .... also

things like 3-iimages(same), 3-pieces of textured paper(same), 3-brads(same), 3-flowers(same), 3-small amounts of glitter or embossing powder(labeled) ... small things like the brads maybe 2 for each of the three.

Then I would collect all the named baggies. I would sort them out into sets of three. Mix the suppies up so each bag has items from all three bags, and return them to you.

You would then take them home and make three atcs using at least 4 of the items on each. You should scan them so we can all see what you made and then keep one and mail the other two to the people/address in your baggies.

I got this idea from some challenges done in the cardmaking or scrapbook magazines where everyone was provided certain supplies and then made their page or card from them. I have thought about this for sometime, but it seemed to complicated to organize through the normal swap means. I think if it is set up at a live swap it will work.

What an awesome idea Linda. A good way to inspire one's creativity.

chatty
07-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Great idea Linda! I love it....

Linda4atc
07-30-2009, 05:24 PM
So when we get a roster of participants I can send everyone a PM with these rules... But they will be pretty much like this so you all can start making your baggies. Make sure the addresses are printed clearly. Also remember each baggie is like signing up for a swap and you have to make three atcs. So don't bite off more than you can chew.... :laugh: ... maybe I should restrict it to no more than three baggies.

Linda4atc
07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I think I'll start a thread for this when we get back so we can post the pictures of the completed cards. And I will try to take pics of the stuff in the baggies before handing them back.

chatty
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Linda, when we get back everyone can post their pictures here...

Thinking out loud ..*smile*.. I thought it would be fun, if we all could make our own ATC book which we will have participant of the Gathering sign or draw in. A little memento of our first Gathering....

NancyL
07-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Its good to see the ideas flowing.

NancyL
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm glad to see that other people are thinking of things to enhance this gathering. I felt kind of overeager when I thought of the raffle and used rubber stamp swap, since the location isn't absolute or the hotel chosen etc. But its good to know that its just not MY brain working overtime.

Linda4atc
07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
lilbad we shall see what we can do about that. If we can get you to Redding, CA you can ride down with me. ..*smile*..

Chatty are you comming through Eureka first? Or do you know a place I can leave my car in Redding if that is the route you are taking? Or will I (and Katilady if she is going with us) need to drive up to your place and leave my car there?

And how many will fit in this car with all our stuff??? :unsure: :laugh:

seekingforart
07-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I voted for Monterey I really would love to meet you all. Hopefully I can make it! :)

seekingforart
07-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I was down in San Diego this week and met Rapa, NancyJB and DolphinPrincess I really had a great time! :jiggy:

chatty
07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Chatty are you comming through Eureka first? Or do you know a place I can leave my car in Redding if that is the route you are taking? Or will I (and Katilady if she is going with us) need to drive up to your place and leave my car there?

And how many will fit in this car with all our stuff??? :unsure: :laugh:

..giggle..I havn't gotten that far yet in my planning. ..giggle.. I know you are coming for sure. Katilady has never stated that she is traveling with us and as far as for Lil nothing there has been settle. ..*smile*..

chatty
07-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Ah I would really love to meet you too Seekingforart!....the date is April 30th and May 1st. Those of us that want to will check in Friday night, all day Saturday is our Gathering.

CentralCaliGrrrl
07-31-2009, 02:16 AM
and another thing I'm thinking about is a raffle of sorts. In Hawaii, a lot of events have raffles. Everyone would get a ticket in their goodie bag. then the ticket numbers would be picked and posted. If your number comes up, you get a prize!

Great ideas ~ keep 'em coming!!

chatty
07-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Three more days POLL wil be over....

seekingforart
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I had a meet up here in Maryland a small get toghether for a weekend friday night -sunday morning... I rented a three bedroom house and I felt we still needed some more time!

chatty
08-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Ah I know, I'm already thinking that 1 day is not enough, but, for our first gathering we are going for one full day!....I hope to make this an ANNUAL GATHERING, won't that be fun!

Two more days then Poll is close.

Linda4atc
08-02-2009, 12:49 AM
sigh ... I know it will be tooo short.... ;)

chatty
08-02-2009, 09:49 AM
ONE more DAY

Poll will be close Monday Evening

VikiTee
08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
When's your spring break? Just wondering... :huh:

No Idea as of yet, I'll get a year schedule on the 10th when school starts.

lilbad
08-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Spring break would make it hard to get motel reservations.

chatty
08-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Spring Break, hmm, depends where all the Collage Students go, rather we have trouble getting rooms. I don't know if they flock to Monterey or not, I know on the news it seems the College Students are going to Mexico for Spring Break. CentralCaliGrrrl is working on a group rate with the Hotels. Once we know more we will let you all know too. .*smile*..

chatty
08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Last day to Vote

Glittercrow
08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Whew..........I just barely made it under the wire...Sound like it is shaping up to be a fun time....

chatty
08-04-2009, 03:26 AM
It is Official

Monterey, California
Date: April 30th and May 1st
Friday we check in, event all day Saturday

Lois
08-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I'll be driving down from Davis and would be happy to car-pool. I have a 4-seater car, but expect there may be a lot of art supplies involved, so I'll offer rides for TWO.

Davis is near the Sac airport, so if people are flying in to Sac and want a ride that would also work. PLEASE SEND EMAIL to arrange details, so I don't miss any info on this very active thread.

I look forward to meeting everyone.

-- Lois :D

curbsidetreasure
08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
i love nancy's raffle idea and linda4atc's atc idea too.

it would be fun if we all brought in art supplies as a trade - maybe just put the stuff on a table and people will just take what they want?

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-04-2009, 05:43 PM
i love the nancy's raffle idea and linda4atc's atc idea too.

it would be fun if we all brought in art supplies as a trade - maybe just put the stuff on a table and people will just take what they want?

I'm definitely bringing some rubber stamps to trade!! :yes:

chatty
08-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes, I'm bringing some art supplies to trade also, hmmmmmmmm...

lindamay
08-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I will be driving down from Oakland. I can put 3 peeps in my Toyota Matrix and there is a back area that will accommodate supplies and luggage.
I know there are at least 2 or maybe 3 from the bay area or possibly anyone flying into the bay area airports...SFO, Oakland or San Jose?
I love the idea of trading supplies and ephemera. Are we bagging up collections and throwing them into a box or will it be more formal than that?
lm

chatty
08-05-2009, 02:59 AM
We have not decided yet, open for suggestions...

Linda4atc
08-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Personally I think having both will work. There is probably stuff we all have and are willing to give away, that could go on a table just for the taking. Then we may have stuff we only want to part with if we get something in return and that could be on a table with our usernames (and trade suggestions if we have any) on it and people can make a trade offer including maybe atc or other art as a trade.

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I will be driving down from Oakland. I can put 3 peeps in my Toyota Matrix and there is a back area that will accommodate supplies and luggage.
I know there are at least 2 or maybe 3 from the bay area or possibly anyone flying into the bay area airports...SFO, Oakland or San Jose?

Lindamay,
Does curbsidetreasure know about your carpool offer?
She's in San Francisco, and last I heard, she needs a ride (no car).
Maybe you could help her out?
Thanks!

curbsidetreasure
08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
& thanks centralcaligirl
i'm definitely in lindamay :) i will pm you too.

lindamay
08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Seat number one: curbsidetreasures (annie)

lm

chatty
08-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Just curious, does anyone here live in the Monterey area? Please PM me if you do...

Also to let the rest of you know CentralCaliGrrrl and I are hard working on the accomodation. Boy, let me tell ya, does everyone book in the future we are having a heck of a time finding motels that have our dates open can you believe that? And there is a heck of alot of hotel/motels in and around Monterey ..giggle.. we do have some bites though. Let you know more as we know more.

Marla412
08-06-2009, 08:13 AM
LOL Annie! I see you're carpooling with lindamay's group. Did my drving scare you???? Sounds like this is going to be fun!

chatty
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
..giggle..you all should bid for Annie company, how funny.

Hey you all if you have any suggestions please send them in.

curbsidetreasure
08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
haha marla
no your driving is fine! i thought since lindamay was closer in oakland it'd be more convienient for her to give me a ride.

Marla412
08-06-2009, 09:51 PM
That's cool! More room for me to bring more stuff!! Yippee!!! I'll try to find some company somewhere....

CattyCat
08-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I will be driving in from Sacramento. I will be spending 2 nights, and leaving Sunday a.m.ish. See you all there. It will be a lot of fun too meet people. I'll only be bringing ATCs, inchies, twinchies & tags to trade. Not supplies to make things there. Once it is settled out how trade supplies are to be handled, trade wise, I'll probably bring some of those too. When everyone is doing classes and such I'll probably head out for the beach at Asilomar. My favorite area beach.

chatty
08-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Hello all I'm so excited it looks like we just might have our hotel we are working on the finishing touches. We are getting a group discount, sounds good, yes! But, we have to reserve 10 rooms I believe we can do that quiet easily don't you?

curbsidetreasure
08-07-2009, 09:58 PM
wooohooo!

(can you tell i'm excited??)

smokeysmom
08-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I'll be driving to Monterey from Porterville, CA (Tulare County), North toward Fresno? To Monterey, on Friday, if anyone from the area needs a ride? I'll be bringing items to trade and items to giveaway....I like the idea of setting up a table for free supplies for the taking. We did that at AFA2009 and it was a real hit. Be sure to post a "request for art supplies" so that members who are not attending can also donate supplies for the event. I will also donate a prize or two:)

curbsidetreasure
08-08-2009, 12:11 AM
how much do you think the group rate will be? and if we share rooms? just let us know as soon as you can, i know you will let us know, chatty. i just wanted to know because payday for me isn't until next month on the 1st.

Linda4atc
08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Yes, when you get the room rates I can send a check to centralcalgal(?) if she is paying on the reservation of 10 rooms, or can we go directly to the hotel ?

It is not neccessary, but I was wondering does the hotel have a swimming pool?:idea:

chatty
08-08-2009, 01:23 PM
You guys we are waiting to see if we can have use of the meeting room on that day we will be there...

Linda4atc it does not look like they have a swimming pool but they do have an exercising room and a sauna room plus Continental Breakfast and they are located near Marina State Beach. This Marina, CA hotel is minutes from popular attractions like the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row, Carmel, Pebble Beach, Fisherman's Wharf and 17-Mile Drive. California State University, Monterey Bay is four miles and the Monterey Peninsula Airport is only 12 miles away.

WE are still waiting for information on the meeting room

Yvonne will be giving everyone the details as soon as she knows for sure! ..*smile*..

The rates are very reasonable especially if you share a room. I believe that CentralCaliGrrrl got us double beds in each room but the rooms prices are reasonable if you want to have your own room it is affordable.;)

I know we are all so excited this is going to be grand :D

curbsidetreasure
08-08-2009, 02:18 PM
i kind of want to do a head count:
so far we have
1.chatty
2.centralcaligrrrl
3. curbsidetreasure
4. smokeysmom
5. marla412
6. cattycat
7. lindamay
8. linda4atc
9. nancyl
10. lois

i'm sure more will join us once we get more info about the hotel :)

chatty
08-08-2009, 09:52 PM
You came up with the same figures we did we are thinking BIG we are hoping for 30 that would be just about all of California but some out side of California are talking about coming too. Once we have our motel I am hoping more will commit. So hard to be patient ..giggle.. I'm having a heck of a time, hopefully this week we will have all the answers.

NancyL
08-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Nobody ever has ALL the answers. but I agree we would ahve moore answers.

malicea10
08-08-2009, 10:57 PM
I am keeping you all on my radar! I may not be able to make Rochester but I may be able to drive to CA. My sister lives in Manteca so I could pop in to say hi to her too.

curbsidetreasure
08-08-2009, 11:16 PM
i hope you can make it malice :)

once we get our hotel confirmed and all that, i can't wait for the fun part...planning activities and goodie bags....

bastcrystal
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh I'm going to have to save up for this one! I really want to come. I can't completely commit until closer to the date because I am one of those state employees affected by the budget crunch. Hopefully I will be able to save enough to go.

curbsidetreasure
08-09-2009, 06:59 PM
bast - i bet you could share a room with someone to save money. i'm definitely going to try to share a room with someone...

lindamay
08-10-2009, 12:57 AM
I am definitely interested in sharing a room to save on cost, no matter how much the rooms turn out to be.
Maybe we need to set up a list of peeps who want to share and pair up.
lm

chatty
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Okay, that is good for me, I'll start it on the front page lindamay I'll put your name down first. ..*smile*..

******** I'm back, I just got off the phone with CentralCaliGrrrl we are so close to a done deal everyone. We are waiting to here from the Hotel Manager about the Meeting/Conference Room. We do have to guarrantee 10 rooms though to get our group discount as soon as we know more CentralCaliGrrrl will give us all the details.*********

Linda4atc
08-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Can I make a suggestion ?

On that list maybe do something like this

Name (RB) or (SR-car) ..... ((OPTIONAL)) late to bed, sleeps late, early riser, snores, etc

RB= looking for room buddy
SR= share ride (car=they will/can drive)
the other stuff may help keep someone who stays up real late from waking someone who is an early to bed person...
Or someone who is a really light sleeper in a room with someone who may snore

Linda4atc
08-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I realize that we may all be on different schedules, and we all have to be flexible when rooming with someone, But I have roomed with someone who always went to bed real eary and I felt so guilty comming in late and disturbing her.....

chatty
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks Linda, I posted your suggestion to the front page as for: "late to bed, sleeps late, early riser, snores, etc." that should be arrange between the two when they connect.

I have a feeling Friday nite is going to be fun, late and interesting, especially if we all arrange to meet and have supper together ..giggle..

We are looking at Continental Breaksfast between 6am - 9am then we will probably all start getting together I would say around 10 am if not before in the Meeting/Conference Room.

Saturday night, will be our last time together probably go eat somewhere then everyone going their own way Sunday morning. That is how everything is looking right now.

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Chatty and I have finally found a hotel that's meets our needs.

We will be staying at Comfort Inn in Marina (right above Monterey).

The rates are $84.99 (plus 10% hotel tax) per night for a room with two beds. We need to guarantee that ten rooms will be booked by our group in order to get this rate.

We will be allowed to use the meeting room for the entire Saturday at a cost of $200.00. That's means all of us will have to split the cost (i.e. 20 members = $10.00 each). We hope this is okay with all of you, as this was the best deal we could get and we looked at almost 50 different hotels/meeting rooms!

All of the rooms need to be reserved seperately with individual credit cards. Please call the hotel at (831) 883-4000 and let them know that you are part of a group reservation under the name AFA California Gathering (ID #1511). Rooms must be reserved by March 30, 2010.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact either me or Chatty - we're here to help and listen!

(Hotel link) http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-marina-california-CA569?sid=pho9M.myAqSgdivN.9&sarea=4799&sname=Marina&sstate=CA&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=36.684444427490234&slon=-121.80110931396484&schain=CI&exp=&scity=Marina&sort=&type=&map=n&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0

xoxox

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm rooming with SilverFrostGoddess! :yes:

curbsidetreasure
08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
sounds like a great deal. is there a deadline for reserving a room? thank you centralcaligrrl and chatty for organizing this!

i need a roommate first though.

curbsidetreasure: RB
light sleeper + goes to bed late

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Yes, there's a deadline, but luckily it's not until 30 days before the event (March 30, 2010)!

Thanks for pointing that out, curbside - I just added it to the information above. ;)

curbsidetreasure
08-12-2009, 01:08 AM
awesome. wow, i am surprised the deadline is long, but that is great for those who aren't quite sure if they can come.

lindamay
08-12-2009, 01:30 AM
lindamay RB - Heavy sleeper (told I snore), late nighter, napper & early riser (i.e., I burn the candle at both ends, but not the middle)

chatty
08-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Here is the link that shows the rooms and the conference room.

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-marina-california-CA569/Hotel-Photos?sid=79BKg.$8lqSgAivd.1&sarea=4799&sname=Marina&sstate=CA&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=36.684444427490234&slon=-121.80110931396484&schain=CI&scity=Marina&sort=&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0&map=n

Dadreemer
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Chatty, CentralCaliGrrrl...*****STARS to you both for your hard work! And to the volunteers helping out too.

GoldenWolf
08-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Not sure if I will be able to make it. My BF is talking about going out there for his son's birthday which is in January :( Will keep an eye on the thread. Don't count me out, but don't count me in yet either.

chatty
08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Thank you Dadreemer...

If anyone is interested in spreading the word around about our gathering add our link
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11220 here to your signature.

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks daydreemer ~ I'm glad everyone's happy with these arrangements!

curbsidetreasure
08-12-2009, 03:57 PM
i added the link to my signature :)
i'm definitely going!! just need to get a roomie and then we can reserve a room.

curbsidetreasure
08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
i was wondering how many people does the meeting room fit? i'm just curious.

chatty
08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
curbsidetreasure I added your name to the first page for RB and I added Lindamay too...

**Anyone looking for a room mate or need a ride let me know I'll add your name to the front page. ..*smile*..

How many people does the meeting room fit? I don't know, CentralCaliGrrrl might know the exact number, what I do know is that we are estimating 10-30 people will join us. We had to give the Motel/Hotels a number...thirty (30) days before the event we have to give them an actual number. I believe the meeting room holds that plus more...

curbsidetreasure
08-12-2009, 04:23 PM
thanks chatty :)

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-12-2009, 05:52 PM
The meeting room holds up to 50 people, so it should just perfect for us!!

Linda4atc
08-13-2009, 12:17 PM
I have not reserved a room yet... I'd like to share a room to save money, but am willing to solo if we do not rent out 10 rooms. Also it may be hard to find a room buddy because I tend to be one of the last to go to bed and one of the first up in the morning. I am so afraid I'll miss something that it is hard to sleep. :laugh: Also I have to go tinkle several times a night and a light sleeper may be awakened by my getting up and down so much. :embarrassed:

Linda4atc
08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Also I am not so much into saunas but I'll bring a big towel anyways, I want something I can actually wrap around me ;)

And maybe if any of you have those folding tables that will fit in your car we might be able to set up some extra tables in the meeting room. Looking at the layout pictures I see three chairs to a table and that will get crowded. Just a thought.

I have one but it is in use, also I may be carpooling, so I may or may not be able to bring it.

Linda4atc
08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
This is going to be sooo fun!! Thanks Chatty and Caligrrrl, hugs !!!!!

Linda4atc
08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
OOOoooops I feel like i'm in the yap the thread trying to reach a 1000 with all these posts, sorry. :laugh:

goatgoddess
08-13-2009, 01:45 PM
OH shoot - you are on my mth end - May 1st - I can't go to this or the AFA :(
I'll be cheering you on though - I'm so disapointed - maybe I can come to the first part and fly back early - will have to see if I can work it out but it's not looking good but I realllllyyyyy want to get out to Calif again.

curbsidetreasure
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
that's too bad deb :(

linda4atc - if it helps any i will probably go to bed really late too.
also whenever i travel i usually have a really hard time sleeping the first night. it's no matter where i go, what i do. i think it's because i get thrown off my usual routine.

chatty
08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Guess this will be the test everyone, if we get the 10 rooms reserve then we are guarantee $84.99 plus tax a room.;) I will be renting a room, Linda plan to car pool with me if you like. I believe Mike will be coming with me I'll know more when the time is closer.

Also I am updating the front page as we go. Listing information about the Location, Share a Room/Share a Ride and the event so keep an eye on it.

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
SilverFrostGoddess and I will be sharing a room, so that's one down!

Linda4atc...don't worry about the meeting room - that's just a sample photo of one way the room can be set up. The room holds up to 50 (seated) people and is really rather big.

So far I've been thinking about a U-shaped setup. When I have my monthly library ATC meeting that's how we usually setup and it allows all of us to see each other and interact really nicely. What do you guys think?

However, I would recommend that those of us who have the room bring folding chairs for the beach. The hotel has no pool, but we do have beach access! Oh yeah, and towels too!!

P.S. Linda - I love the tinkle information. Nothing's too taboo for this group!! :) :)

Linda4atc
08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
:laugh: Well when you drag yourself out of bed an avarage of 4 times a night, it can get to be a bother for someone else who is trying to sleep. I'm lucky my sweetie just grabs me to snuggle back down, sometimes even before I get my covers and pillows adjusted to my liking. (I think if I was still married to my ex one of us would have ended up on the couch!)

Chatty I am keeping you in mind, but if you are driving down the hwy 5 I'd have to drive a ways to meet you, I'm most likely going from Navarro, and I'd have a place to leave my car. So maybe I should just drive my car :unsure:

Cool on the tables, and I'll bring a chair.

curbsidetreasure
08-14-2009, 12:07 AM
LOL tinkle info

the U shape format could work. it's nice to see everyone working at once like that.

chatty
08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Find with me Linda, I think I will be going down Hwy5 I'm not sure I do not want to go through that San Francisco area. ..giggle.. would like to by pass that section.

U Shape format sound interesting :wub:

Hmm, tinkle info :rolleyes: wonder how many of us do that? ..giggle..

*****Just letting you know I update the front, Linda4atc is kindly hosting a swap at our Gathering go check out the front page have any question about the swap please ask Linda.

Lois
08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm back from Oregon and happy to see how far along the plans are for our AfA gathering near Monterrey.

I'm planning to be there, so count me in!
If there is someone who'd like to ride with me, I can drive from Davis.
(We are close to the Sacramento airport, so I could pick someone up there.)

I'm near I-5 and I-80, so if someone is driving a long way and wants to stop off at my place that could also be arranged. Either to carpool with me or to have lunch before continuing south.

I'll wait a bit to make my hotel reservation, but please do add me to the mix.

As to my family life...
Our expedition to move my Mom (93) from Roseburg OR to Woodland CA went smoothly. We rented a van (because our hybrid is too small to be comfortable for her on that 9+ hour drive), oversaw the movers loading furniture, stayed another 2 days up there in a guest apartment (so there would be time for her furniture to arrive), and then drove a full day. Mom got into her new studio apartment last Wenzday evening.
I'm looking forward to having only a 20 minute drive to visit her.

I'm just starting to read emails and answer phone calls, so it'll be another few days before I'm fully back in the swing of things.

Look forward to meeting you-all in the Spring!

-- Lois Richter

Linda4atc
08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Ohh Lois that sounds great for you and your mom. 93 that is amazing! My mom was only 55 that was 16 years ago and I still miss so much.

Linda4atc
08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I had an chance to get together and meet Beckster yesterday!!! She lives in Willits and we met for lunch on my way through. I think it we chatted for two hours. She's a sweetie. Unfortunately sh doesn't know if she will be going to the Cal Gathering or not, but I asked her.

NancyL
08-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Okay, my husband just reseved our hotel room for the Gathering. Just in case anyone is counting.

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Me, too ~ it's official!!!!!!!! :jiggy:

chatty
08-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Okay ladies, since we need to keep a list of who is making reservations I am going to have a list up on the front page. ..*smile*.. let me know as you make your reservations please.

smokeysmom
08-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm a used-to-be California person. If there is a live trading session whatever and it works into our schedule for taking our once a year trip to California, I'm interested in coming.
We lived in Campbell for 30 some years and in Santa Clara County for 50 plus years.

We lived in Santa Clara for 30 years - small world, eh? I grew up in Palo Alto, married and moved to Santa Clara. Retired, moved to Porterville:)

smokeysmom
08-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I haven't reserved a room yet but I'm definitely attending. I'd like to have my own room because I'm a smoker. I know, I know...ANYWAY, are we suppose to reserve a room now? Also, I am happy to donate handmade paper(s), text sheets, ATC/Twinchie/Inchi blanks, etc. to our "supply" table and donate a couple of prizes if we're having contests or raffles or goodie bags. Which I can either bring with me or ship to someone ahead of time. Just let me know? Many thanks to our Organizers:)

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone. Chatty called me yesterday and said the electicity in Hayfork was turned off since a fire was near the main powerlines. I found out this morning from my husband that the fire "layed down" during the night so the danger has most likely passed, but I do not know when she will get her power back on.

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I made about 50 tiny little paperclay faces (made with a mold) the other day to add to the goodie bags.

NancyL
08-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Smokeysmom, I grew up in Palo Alto, too. My mom still lives in the same house.

chatty
08-23-2009, 11:48 AM
smokeymom go ahead and make your reservation....let me know when you do it.... go to the front page for the details We are all making our reservation under a name and code so we can get the discount....

I'm making mine today....

All right Linda 50 heads now my mind is going in all direction how to use them. ..*smile*..

Thanks smokeymom, all donations are appreciated! Would you like to host a contest????

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 05:14 PM
LOL I made about 25 each of two types so if we have more than 25 goodie bags to fill let me know.

chatty
08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I've done and did it.

Made my Reservation

Please everyone, make your reservation because this is a group we get a group discount and up to 30 days before the event to cancel if we have too. Go ahead and make your reservations. Plus if we go over 10 rooms we still get the discount and a chance for more rooms they are only holding 10 rooms for us.

Please let me know so CentralCaliGrrrl and I can keep count, we need the 10 room fill to get the discount :D no pressure just wanting everyone to understand ;) 3 room reserved 7 rooms open.

Also ladies, if you would like to bring your husband that is perfectly fine you could make it a special vacation time too :D My husband is considering coming down now thinking we will go on down to Long Beach to see his folks.

NancyL
08-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd like toput out a couple of suggestions/ideas for demonstrations and/or classes. One is how to use alcohol inks. I have some but really don't know much about them. another one would be making charms.By the time we have the Gathering, i will have made 11.but maybe someone would like to share how they make them.
Maybe there just be a general list os possible classes/demos. Someone might just see that list and think, Hey, I know how to do that, I could share that. ....Maybe.

Dadreemer
08-23-2009, 11:52 PM
So um, I gotta a question....will it just be ATC's, or will other types of fun mixed media thingies be made? Kinda burnt out with making ATC's atm but I would like to come to this event (still not sure on the funds yet).

curbsidetreasure
08-23-2009, 11:59 PM
me and lindamay decided to share a room :)
we are going to reserve a room hopefully soon. will let you know when we finalize it.

i dunno about you guys but imho i think we should keep it open to not just atcs but also do inchies, chunkies, altered art, etc?

Linda4atc
08-24-2009, 12:22 AM
and Rolos:jiggy:

chatty
08-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Daydreamer I think it would be lovely to include open mix media thingy. Personally I'm thinking here at ATCsforALL we do all kinds of art. I agree, lets not just keep it to ATCs...Would anyone be interested in hosting a DEMO or WORKSHOP depending how long it takes for a demo or workshop we should be able to get 2-4 projects in, don't you think?

1. how to use alcohol inks
2. how to make charms
3. Inches
4. Chunky Pages and Journals
5. Altered Art
6. Rolos
7. Paper Art Dolls
8. ????

Now once we decide on the projects we need to decide do we want it as a DEMO, WORKSHOP or TRADE

Please keep in mind ... We will still be holding a live trade for ATCs :wub:

chatty
08-24-2009, 12:58 AM
me and lindamay decided to share a room :)
we are going to reserve a room hopefully soon. will let you know when we finalize it.

When you finalize it just let me know. I'm keeping track of the room reserved on the front page....and I'll mark that Lindamay and you are room mates. ..*smile*..

Linda4atc
08-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Don't know what kind of workshop would be needed for a rolo??? But I could bring my FLAT Rolodex and someone could bring a circular and people could see the difference and some of the Rolo's already made in it.

And I really have not done a lot of Alcohol ink stuff so I don't think I'd be the best person for it. But I have used it and if there is nobody else wanting to do it, I could.

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, Chatty! Three rooms down, seven to go... :) Hope all is well with you, the weather, the fire, your computer... :swoon:

I, personally, have never used alcohol inks, but I've always wanted to! Sure hope someone volunteers to teach a workshop (hint, hint, Linda4atc)! :yes: LOL!!!

(P.S. Just wanted you know that CraftyCat will most likely be staying with me and SilverFrostGoddess at the Gathering!)

Dadreemer
08-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I can be a back-up for teaching the alcohol inks techniques.

curbsidetreasure
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
are you coming dadreemer? i hope you are :D

i'd love to play with alcohol inks and make charms. i haven't really done either one...

Dadreemer
08-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I seriously want to. It's just that $$$ is extremely tight right now and planning ahead is iffy. Day to day is how I roll atm.

curbsidetreasure
08-24-2009, 04:46 PM
i really hope you can make it dadreemer.

if you decide later on you can come, maybe you could ride along with lindamay and me and share a room with someone.

do any of you do art journals? it would be fun to bring them along and share with everyone.

chatty
08-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes, I too hope you can make it dadreemer....we need help with the alcohol inks! :jiggy:

Would anyone be interested in hosting a DEMO or WORKSHOP depending how long it takes for a demo or workshop we should be able to get 2-4 projects in, don't you think?

Project List?

1. how to use alcohol inks
2. how to make charms
3. Inches
5. Altered Art
6. Rolos
7. Paper Art Dolls
8. ????

Now once we decide on the projects we need to decide do we want it as a DEMO, WORKSHOP or TRADE

Please keep in mind ... We will still be holding a live trade for ATCs

Linda4atc
08-25-2009, 12:06 AM
I still want the Melted crayon technique at least as a demo, but I may end up giving it whirl before then...

lindamay
08-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Dadreemer:
There is definitely room for another to ride along. I am just down the road from you.
You don't need to make a reservation till the last minute (March 30th I think chatty said?). So you can decide later. PM me and I'll send you my phone number if you decide to go.

Chatty, curbside and I will be sharing a room, so you can make your notation. I will let you know as soon as i reserve our room.

As far as demos, I have developed a technique of collaging fabric pieces without sewing, that I could show everyone. My technique takes some time to dry, so it is something that would need to be done earlier in our room time.
I vote for short demos, that way we can have time for many demos. Are we going to post the demo offerings and vote on them?

I have a few art journals that I can bring to show, I bet there are others who also have them. Often my ideas start inside my journals. I have a separate journal for sketching my jewelry pieces.

This is going to be great fun. I'm sure there is a wealth of ideas and information just among our little group.

lm

if you decide later on you can come, maybe you could ride along with lindamay and me and share a room with someone.

do any of you do art journals? it would be fun to bring them along and share with everyone.

NancyL
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I would love to learn to collage fabric without sewing. I really like fabric and I really do not like sewing. Sewing is so unforgiving. Back in the days when home ec was required in high school, I learned how to use the ripper more than the sewing machine.

chatty
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Reserve rooms: March 30th is the Deadline for Cancelation and Reserving a Room Please make your reservation before that, please...we need 10 rooms book to get our group rate. If we book more than 10 rooms we still get the group rate the earlier we book better chances of everyone getting a room in the same motel if we go over 10 rooms. ..*smile*..

Dadreemer by chance if you can't make the reservation time, don't give up, for we will get you there somehow ..*smile*.. and there may be someone who would want to share a room too.

lindamay I'm building a list of suggestions, we can either vote, or just decide what ever you all want to do. And yes, I agree the more small demos we get in the better it is....It all depends on everyone what they would like to do. This is our gathering we can do anything we want ;) Once we decide then I'll work up a schedule for us to go by...

Linda4atc the Melted Crayon technique looks like a great technique would love for someone to volunteer to give a DEMO at least, I don't know if we have plugs in for everyone to have their iron there. But a DEMO would be great...

If I miss anyone please re-ask the question or suggestion...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Would anyone be interested in hosting a DEMO or WORKSHOP depending how long it takes for a demo or workshop we should be able to get 2-4 projects in, don't you think?

DEMO Share a technique
WORKSHOP Need material list so everyone can participate

Project List?

1. how to use alcohol inks Back-up Teacher Dadreemer?
2. how to make charms
3. Inches
5. Altered Art
6. Rolos
7. Paper Art Dolls
8. Collage Fabric without sewing DEMO by lindamay
9. Melted Crayon technique
10. ???

Linda4atc
08-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Maybe we should have a Show & Tell List? You don't need to list who s bringing what on most of the stuff. Just a list as a reminder of things we want to see....

I think it would be fun to see the Journals, Also those of us doing the Picture Profiles could bring those. And I could bring my Flat Rolodex file with my rolos oand someone with a circular one could bring it. And Chatty could bring some of her beautiful Zentangles,..... ;)

curbsidetreasure
08-26-2009, 12:54 AM
i'm not sure what i could demo?
i know i can bring my art journals to share. i would like to demo something but am having a hard time coming up with an idea...

NancyL
08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
In my current swap that I'm hosting, I cam across two players from California. I didn't remember them posting on this thread, so I PMed them about the Gathering. They both expressed interest.
Is there a way that a group email briefly telling about the Gathering(date,name, contact persons) could be sent to California members?

spineofafish
08-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Dedreemer and NancyL let me know about this. I'm still relatively new to this whole ATC world and not very skilled in navigating the website, but I think an ATC getaway weekend sounds like fun and will come. I'll make my reservation in the next day or two.

NancyL
08-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Great!

bastcrystal
08-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Hi curbsidetreasure. I really would like to go to this, I have a funds issue too. So I was thinking, would I be able to ride with you and LindaMay? Maybe daydreamer and I could room together. :-) - She lives close to me. I'm in Hayward.

Rita - bastcrystal

chatty
08-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Getting the Word Out!

NancyL, I don't think so. When I first started I made a new forum in the Lounge my goal was to announce our California ATC Gathering here in this forum. Try to let everyone know. It was taken down, I was told it was consider soft spam. ..giggle.. Never heard of soft spam before. I was also told that we could make a polite comment about the gathering without advertising it. ..*smile*.. Anyway, I was told to advertise, to add it in the signature..so please feel free to add it. And I was told about the forum "Were are you at" I could email all those listed in California that was about 30-35 people. Yvonne and I both did that. There are a lot of Californias that have not sign up. So I'm open for any suggestions on how to get the infomation out for Californias. Also if we would POST in this FORUM regular till the event it keeps us at the top of the forum list. Shows there is action. :yes: If you know of another way of getting a list of all California Members here at ATCsforALL let me know I'll sure send out an invitation that's for sure. I too just ran into a person that I'm trading with here in California I told her about it too, she is interested too....Spread the word around everyone

spineofafish Please let me know when you do make the reservation. We are keeping a list on the front page how many have sign up, very helpful for all, thank you....

bastcrystal Would you like me to add you to the list looking for a room buddy and share a ride this is all on the front page. ...and if you and Dadreemer get a reserve a room together please let me know, thank you...

curbsidetreasure Hm, maybe Linda4atc, Show & Tell would be a good thing also...I'll add it to the list, I look at your chunky pages, nice! If you come up with an idea for a Demo, let me know ;)

chatty
08-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Reserve rooms: March 30th is the Deadline for Cancelation and Reserving a Room by 4:00pm Please make your reservation before that, please...we need 10 rooms book to get our group rate. If we book more than 10 rooms we still get the group rate the earlier we book better chances of everyone getting a room in the same motel if we go over 10 rooms. ..*smile*.. Please let me know when you made your reservation I'll add it to the front page. This will help us all in so many ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DEMO Share a technique
WORKSHOP Need material list so everyone can participate

Project List?

1. how to use alcohol inks............................... Back-up Teacher Dadreemer?
2. how to make charms
3. Inches
5. Altered Art
6. Rolos
7. Paper Art Dolls
8. Collage Fabric without sewing......................... DEMO by lindamay
9. Melted Crayon technique
10. Show & Tell
11. ???

smokeysmom
08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Smokeysmom, I grew up in Palo Alto, too. My mom still lives in the same house.

We lived on Ramona Circle, Palo Alto. I went to Wilbur Jr. High and then Cubberly High....I heard it's no longer a high school now. I graduated as a Junior in 1972 (?)

smokeysmom
08-27-2009, 06:05 PM
smokeymom go ahead and make your reservation....let me know when you do it.... go to the front page for the details We are all making our reservation under a name and code so we can get the discount....

I'm making mine today....

All right Linda 50 heads now my mind is going in all direction how to use them. ..*smile*..

Thanks smokeymom, all donations are appreciated! Would you like to host a contest????

Sure, I'd be happy to host a contest...let me think about it for a day or two and I'll post it to this thread. I'm also happy to put together a workshop or demo in any of these categories: ATC's 101, Advanced ATC Techniques w/samples, Inchies, Twinchies, Rolos, Art Journals..and help out wherever needed. I will also donate to our supplies table and contribute to the Goodie Bags (I just need a headcount):)

smokeysmom
08-27-2009, 06:32 PM
How are you collecting the extra money you need for the Craft Room on Saturday? I.e. $10.00 from each participant? Paypal?? Just wondering:)

smokeysmom
08-27-2009, 06:39 PM
I made my room reservations today! So mark me down as confirmed:)

bastcrystal
08-27-2009, 07:46 PM

Getting the Word Out!

NancyL, I don't think so. When I first started I made a new forum in the Lounge my goal was to announce our California ATC Gathering here in this forum. Try to let everyone know. It was taken down, I was told it was consider soft spam. ..giggle.. Never heard of soft spam before. I was also told that we could make a polite comment about the gathering without advertising it. ..*smile*.. Anyway, I was told to advertise, to add it in the signature..so please feel free to add it. And I was told about the forum "Were are you at" I could email all those listed in California that was about 30-35 people. Yvonne and I both did that. There are a lot of Californias that have not sign up. So I'm open for any suggestions on how to get the infomation out for Californias. Also if we would POST in this FORUM regular till the event it keeps us at the top of the forum list. Shows there is action. :yes: If you know of another way of getting a list of all California Members here at ATCsforALL let me know I'll sure send out an invitation that's for sure. I too just ran into a person that I'm trading with here in California I told her about it too, she is interested too....Spread the word around everyone

spineofafish Please let me know when you do make the reservation. We are keeping a list on the front page how many have sign up, very helpful for all, thank you....

bastcrystal Would you like me to add you to the list looking for a room buddy and share a ride this is all on the front page. ...and if you and Dadreemer get a reserve a room together please let me know, thank you...

curbsidetreasure Hm, maybe Linda4atc, Show & Tell would be a good thing also...I'll add it to the list, I look at your chunky pages, nice! If you come up with an idea for a Demo, let me know ;)

Sure! Go ahead and add me and I'll let you know once I've made reservations. :-)
Thanks!

curbsidetreasure
08-27-2009, 08:30 PM
maybe everyone who wants to do a demo or workshop or whatever the heck you want to do (and i mean this in the most postive way) could send in a workshop/activity proposal? that way someone who is organizing this could have a rundown on what people can offer?

curbsidetreasure
08-27-2009, 10:03 PM
and i think we have a really good chance of making our 10 room minimum.
4 rooms reserved so far, but there are others who are coming but haven't made a room reservation yet.

chatty
08-28-2009, 01:00 AM
smokeysmomthank you for making your reservation...Collecting the Conference room fee will be done there.

bastcrystal I've added you to the RB & SR (looking for a Room Buddy and Share a Ride). ;)

Curbside Treasure The list I'm forming, in blue, are the people who have step forward to host that event. That is pretty much a sure thing. I agree I don't think we will have any trouble filling up 10 rooms, but, if there are more coming, if will be first come first serve after the 10 rooms are reserve. This is why I'm encouraging everyone to book their room early.

I'm looking for a couple of workshops. I think CentralCaliGrrrl is working on one and I just read Smokeysmom that she would host one too...will get back with her on that.

..and you all Smokeysmom is hosting a Contest giving a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prize..this is getting fun! Can't wait to see what the contest is?

Chatty (thats me) will be putting the Goodie Bags together... Smokeysmom I don't know how many yet? I'm hoping to know more by the first of the year. I'm thinking BIG that there will be at least 3o of us hopefully more....

Linda4atc
08-28-2009, 01:25 AM
WOW 30, I better get busy and make more faces...

I was waiting to get a roombuddy to see how many rooms we have,. It sounds like we will have at least the 10 so I guess I can reserve a room this weekend. I don't think my husband is interested in going to this, so I will need someone that won't be bothered by me getting up so much while they are trying to sleep. I already missed out on two roombuddies ;)

chatty
08-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Linda Bastcrystal is looking for a room mate and a ride....I won't know nothing for sure with Mike till we are a whole lot closer to the due date. Men! Can't live with and can't live without them! ..giggle..

Linda I don't know if there will be 30 there, I'm just guessing will know more after the first of the year.....

chatty
08-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Sponsorship or "Grant" monies for the CA Gathering
If anyone is interested in sponsoring a member who is unable to come to our first California ATC Gathering please PM me.

chatty
08-28-2009, 12:09 PM
UPDATE:

Please keep an eye out on the front page, there the list is growing what is really going down for our Gathering. ..*smile*.. As we finalize Demos and Workshops they will be listed on the front page.

CentralCaliGrrrl
08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
WOW!! I haven't checked this thread for two days and there's been a flurry of activity! GREAT!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we always have the option to use "roll-away beds" in the rooms. There is a small charge, I think ($10-20), but this could be a cheap alternative for those of us that are financially strapped. Yes, we'll be crammed in like sardines, but it'll only be for two nights. ;)

I'm working on a workshop/demo idea right now. I think that the longer, harder projects should just be given as demos, and the easier, quicker projects should be done as workshops. Just an idea, but of course, we can always talk about this more in the future...

A contest would be way cool and I really like the idea of a "show and tell". One of the things I love most about trading art is showing off my collection!!

As far as letting other Californian's know about the Gathering, the only thing Chatty and I could come up with was the "Where In The World Are You" thread. I contacted everyone on the list from California, but I know there are still lots of others that aren't on the list (yet). If anyone has any suggestions on how we can find out who is from California, let us know. And if any of you know of a California member that has not heard about the Gathering yet, PLEASE TELL THEM!! :yes:

xoxox

curbsidetreasure
08-28-2009, 07:21 PM
wouldn't be fun to do a show & tell of 'collections'

1. chunky books
2. art journals
3. altered art
4. rolos
5. inchies

perhaps they could be set at a table & people could just look at them or have a little session of show and tell presentations? i dunno. just throwing the idea out there.

good thinking about the rollaway beds centralcaligrrl!