PDA

View Full Version : 4x6 Finer-Art Flowerpots: Handpainted/drawn Due Oct. 10th

Pages : [1] 2

Jean
07-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Finer-Art Flowerpots
Size: 4x6 inches, Handpainted or hand-drawn
Note: Despite the dimension, this is NOT a postcard swap.

Due Date: October 10 in my hands
SignUp Date: Sept. 15
Withdraw Date: Sept 15
Cards: 3/3
Participants: 20

Flowerpots against brick walls...windowboxes filled with blossoms....a flowerbox on a gate... This swap is about flowers in containers with a dash of artsy style! If you love fine art, create fine art, or want to, this swap is for you!

This swap is a bit different from ones I’ve done in the past. It’s for hand-drawn or painted work with a ‘fine art’ feel to it. I am new to art and have lots to learn, so this swap will push me to stretch and do better work than I have been. If you have been wanting to stretch a bit and take your art to another level, maybe it's your time to grow. We’re swapping the finest art we can create!

For this swap, draw or paint flowers in boxes or pots against some lovely background, paying attention to the composition. Add detail and shading to give the scene depth. Use colours to make the scene come to life. And that is what this swap is all about: work that shows serious effort to create not ‘something on the theme’ but ‘ART on the theme.’

'Fine' art is in the eye of the beholder. For a perspective on this, try a search on Etsy or eBay for fine art or fine art aceo. The variety of art that comes up is a real eye-opener - and hopefully, a confidence-builder, too!

See post 7 for links to examples.

REQUIREMENTS:
This swap is for AFA members 18 and over.
Have your profile filled out so we can get to know you better!
Post in the thread to sign up; folks will be able to locate you to thank you for your art.

MAKING YOUR ART:
-Please work carefully to create beautiful, well-made art in keeping with the theme so that everyone will love their returns.
-Pay attention and incorporate principles of composition, colour, and detail in your art.
-Hand paint or draw your art in watercolour, acrylic, gouache, prismas, as long as it’s original.
-No digital, computer printed, copied, etc., work accepted.
-No stamps, stickers, etc.
-Finished size must be 4 x 6 inches and may include a clear border if you wish.
-On the back, put your real name and user name on your cards. You may also add date created, title of card or swap, an email or homepage URL, etc. Remember these are not postcards.
-Cards that do not meet the requirements (care, attention, effort, use of colour and composition helps to make your best art) will be returned to sender at sender’s expense.

POSTAGE:
Do not send envelopes. I will purchase 6x9 plasticoated bubble mailers for protection (cost 90 cents each, tax included). I have checked the rates for 3 4x6 pieces of w/c paper with chipboard for added protection in this envelope at the Post Office and here are the rates in Canadian Dollars:
Canada: $2.08; if using Paypal, $2.38
US: $2.86; Paypal, $3.16
International: $4.80; Paypal, $5.10
Please send either cash, CANADIAN stamps, or use Paypal. Paypal can do the conversions automatically. PM me for my acct and the address.

MAILING:
-Please use a plastic bag or waterproof envelope for mailing.
-Include postage or use Paypal.
-On your envelope, please put your return address, username, and real name.
-For those who send a hostess gift, which is not required, art on this theme (ATC, 4x6, 4x4, etc.) would be appreciated.

I will post iTrader for participants as I receive your art.
I will mail returns on time, so please mail early enough to get your cards to me before Oct. 1.
Please leave rep (not iTrader) for the people whose work you receive in this swap.

If you must withdraw, please let me know before the deadline.

References and Helps:
Articles and How-To Forum (articles on various art topics and techniques)
Watercolour II Chat-class (colour theory and composition info)
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8215 Composition
Design 911 by EraserQueen (http://www.arttradermag.com/issues/ArtTrader_Issue5.pdf) tangents, ambituity, and negative space
Design 911 (http://www.arttradermag.com/issues/ArtTrader_Issue4.pdf) Symmetry, asymmetry, and proportion
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11214 WIP demo using Prismas. This is not fine art (it's mine) but it shows how detail, colour, effort, and attention to composition can make a bland card better. If you're new to art like I am, you'll be working hard from preliminary sketches to final product but your art will show it and make you proud.

So, who's in? Red = received! en route
1. Janet
2. kylieluvsart
3. JoyFlower - withdrawn
4. Lilbad
5. Genxter - withdrew
6. Artedar
7. novasmem
8. Luvloz
9. Pippin
10.Dadreemer
11. messmaker - withdrew
12. lilywaters - withdrew
13. Ladywatersnake
14. Grammyquilter
15. ceejay
16. spineofafish
17. rkolig
18. mtpaperplayer - withdrew
19. Joni Owens
20. jennschales
21. red
22. Grandma chook

kylieluvsart
07-26-2009, 05:35 AM
I am soooo in Jean please

JoyFlower
07-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd love to participate in this one...please sign me up. :)

lilbad
07-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Jean, this is right up my alley, altho I am not sure I can do "fine art". I'd love to sign up.

Jean
07-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Welcome, kylie, JoyFlower, and lilbad!

RE: Fine art. This swap is about going after that fine art feel to our work...we're all doing out best to accomplish that. I will search out links for inspiration - I need it because this is a biiiig stretch for me. ;) Please post links to artists you love, too, and we can help each other be inspired!

Here is a lovely Gauguin (http://www.famousartistsgallery.com/gallery/gauguin-ac.html)... and a Matisse (http://www.famousartistsgallery.com/gallery/matisse-in.html) ... and another Matisse (http://www.famousartistsgallery.com/gallery/matisse-lw.html) ... a van Gogh (http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?startat=/getposter.asp&APNum=2549012&CID=64a3ae88f5dc49e9a0696466c6127b41&search=&FindID=&P=&PP=&sortby=&cname=&SearchID=) ... a Monet I love (http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Beach-at-Trouville_i96721_.htm?aid=22703).

Here's a lovely flowerpot work by Fronckowiak
(http://cgi.ebay.com/Art-Fronckowiak-Flower-Pots-Right-Fine-Art-Poster-Print_W0QQitemZ220401240437QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArt_ Posters?hash=item3350f00975&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116)

None of these are anything I can do, but they inspire me with the feeling. What inspires you?

Jean
07-26-2009, 12:23 PM
If you find an artist who particularly inspires you and you want to do an artwork after a particular painting or style, just note it on the back as they do in the Favourite Artist PATs.

In fact, I may do an AFA search for 'favorite artist' and see what comes up!

Jean
07-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Here is the Etsy search on fine art painting (http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=handmade&search_query=fine+art+painting+&order=date_desc&ship_to=&page=2).

Here is the Ebay search on fine art aceo (not nudes!) (http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=fine+art+aceo+-blank+-supplies+-cd+-panels+-nude&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=fine+art+aceo+-blank+-supplies+-cd&_osacat=0)

I think we can all do this! ;)

ArtsyLady
07-26-2009, 10:06 PM
lilbad, you do some of the most beautiful flowers...if you don't consider yourself a fine artist than there is no hope for me...still thinking though

Genxster
07-27-2009, 12:58 AM
*Lurking* Flowers and composition are not my strong suit. But I am so tempted...

Jean
07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
But that's the point, my friends. We're not claiming to be fine artists...we aspire to do finer art than we have, so this is a learning swap. None of this is my thing, either - it's all a stretch for me, lol.

lilbad
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Nova, u are so sweet. Thanks for that vote of confidence! I'll try my best and u all join too!

rkolig
07-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Lurking....lurking.....

Dadreemer
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Lurking
*peeks from behind a ginormous flowerpot*
Lurking

TimeInMyHands
07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
*Lurking for just a bit here too but hopefully will find time cause this looks like soo much fun!!

Jean...what is the best way to mail these to you? Do they fit fairly well in a business size envie with some cardboard for support and protection?

Genxster
07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Okay, October 10 seems far enough away. I should be able to do this. Thanks for hosting this Jean and giving us a chance to stretch our wings a bit.

Jean
07-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Genxter, welcome!

TIMH, I will mail them back in 6x9 bubble envelopes; you can send them however you wish. I'd certainly put some cardboard for added protection and prolly put 'em in one of those zipper bags or a plastic bag the right size...

As for you lurkers...*tapping foot* You wouldn't be lurking if you weren't tempted. So join!

What will happen?
--you'll stretch your wings, as Genx says.
--you'll improve your art in a friendly - and Bailey's friendly, too! - swap
--you'll have fun and get back some super art!

Let's face it: we all do lovely cards. Now we're going to make 'em even nicer by putting a bit more thought into them. You wouldn't hesitate if I said, '4x6 Flowerpots,' I'll bet.

It's the idea of US doing -gasp!- fine art???? Even 'finer' art can be intimidating.

But we are ze strong women, yes? We are ready to roar, yes? We can do zees ting!

Now sign up!

ArteDar
07-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm here...I really want to learn and expand and get a beautiful card in return...Sign me up Jean!
Who doesn't love flowers? So many to pick from....even those wild weeds are stunning too. I hope what I create evokes your imagination and you can smell the fragrance as well as please the eye.....lol....maybe I'm pushing it a bit too much, eh?...one can dream though.

lilbad
07-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Dar is here!! Come on the rest of u lurkers....join in the fun. 5x7 envelope should work fine, don't u think?

ArtsyLady
07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Ok....I'm a little intimidated (who am I kidding...a lot intimidated) but sign me up, I'll try not to dissapoint...

LuvLoz
07-27-2009, 11:35 PM
I say 'Bah' to all you lurkers - I'm jumping right in!

:unsure: Someone will save me when I actually get to work and start to drown though, right?

Jean
07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
*vbg* Now we're cooking! I've got you all signed up, Dar, mem, and Luv!

Really, the thing to consider is this: in a swap like this one, where we ARE a bit worried about stretching and doing our best work....we're going to do our best. WOW. Imagine a swap where everyone is really **worrying** about doing best work....:swoon: I can't wait to see the cards!

I suggest everyone post their cards to the thread but not because you're drowning, Luv. Because everyone will reassure you how desirable your card is! And if you are struggling, as I am with a card I worked on last night, well, say so and we'll all chip in with our 2 cents...and then you'll have new ideas to consider or reject as you see fit.

Because our art is our own. Here is one of my very favorite folk artists (http://myweb.dal.ca/macduff/gallery.htm). I think it is absolutely delightful. Our art is our own, and whatever we do, there is an audience for it. I promise!

Pippin
07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I am going to try my hand first with the watercolours and see if they are presentable before I committ!! I am improving but am still very impatient!!!!

Jean
07-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Nobody expects Gauguin, Pippin ... just *our* individual best effort with thought and planning behind it. Heck, anyone can do that and the helps in the first post are super. Boatbird's article on composition, loaded with illustrations to explain what she is talking about, is super. I am still rereading it b/c I keep getting more out of it each time.

A 5x7 envelope should be fine, btw. How you send them is up to you. When I swap out, I'll be sending them well packaged and supported with chipboard in a waterproof envelope.

Jean
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Ok...here I go with my first 4x6 ever. It's pale, I know...I like the more delicate colours than brighter ones...but I don't think it's too too pale, huh? I thought I'd add some micron lines here and there to define bits of it. I may add a bit more colour but not sure where....I notice the scan washed out the houses in the distance at right behind the trees, so I guess I'll use prismas to define them more.

Fine art it isn't, I know, but I think it's nicer than most of my atcs...so that's a step in the right direction. Normally, I'd have draw a flowerpot on a windowsill and just blotted some colour outside but I tried to be a bit more deliberate. I don't know that this one is good enough for the swap, but it's a start!

Pippin
07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
OK Mum!!! Sign me up and I will do my best!! They may all be geraniums though!!!

Jean
07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Hey, I **like** geraniums! Fuschias would be ok, too, though...;) Signing you up now! This will be fun - we'll struggle through our angst together!

ArteDar
07-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Jean, I truly like what you have going on in your picture....lots to keep the eye interested and moving to take in all the details. I'm not sure about adding the black lines to define though....it might break it up too much and make the lines stand out more the the subjects. Just a suggestion, maybe try a brown or gray pen instead of the black. Of course try it on your sketch/practice pc. first.

Jean
07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Great idea, Dar! I'll sharpen a prisma in the colour of the item, maybe...a green pen for the tree or a purple-ish one for the mountains....*happy dance* I'll get right to it!

rkolig
07-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Jean, if you do choose to use a pen, choose the very finest you can. .005 or similar would work for your soft colors. And you wouldn't even have to outline everything completely, maybe incomplete outlines of some of the items.

You may want to print off a copy and practice on that.

ArtsyLady
07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Never thought to make a print and work off that. great idea

Dadreemer
07-28-2009, 03:43 PM
You are such an inspiration Jean! Thanx for Rockin' me.

Your window sill flowers are lovely. If I may add 1 1/2 cents......stay away from darker outlines. Instead, go for darker shading of the same colors to make them pop. Pastels should be pastels?

My concern is not "doing my best work", it's the "fine art" thingy that wants to put me in a box (dunna like boxes) and trapping the essence of what is created, strangling all the life out of it. Phew, got that off me chest.

But because of you inspiring us all to do our best, I have no choice but to see it in a different light and join.

So please sign me up.

Jean
07-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Whoo-hoo! Another player!

Re: Fine Art. It really is about what WE feel is OUR fine art, you know what I mean?

Take Jean Dubuffet (http://www.thecityreview.com/s04ccon1.html). I'd cry to produce that kind of work, but for him - and collectors who pay literal millions of dollars to own his art - it had meaning and value. For them, it's fine art.

I thought long and hard about this one b/c I am struggling to define what I consider to be fine art for jean. Or should I say, 'jean's fine art.' That window view isn't it, but it's 'jean's thoughtful art.'

rkolig
07-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I was looking up the definition of Fine Art today. Its a difficult one, but the best simplest definition seems to be "art for pleasure and nothing else". Nothing commercial, nothing but pleasure and beauty.

lilbad
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
This is looking to be a very interesting swap. I checked some of the links, Jean, and had a bit of a chuckle about the 'fine' art on ebay. I am just assuming we will all try our very best to do our 'finest' bit of art. I am inspired! Thanks for hosting this---Mary u get your rear in gear and sign up!!!

ArteDar
07-28-2009, 10:13 PM
I thought fine art was if you had formal training. A new definition today for a fine artist that makes folk art style (a folk artist is a non~ formally school trained person) is called naive art.

This is a friendly place here ladies....I'm learning new techniques and *tricks* and I am not going to let myself feel intimidated and will be asking for some help and guidance along the way for sure....so, I'm being formally trained, eh?!
Jean can give us all a certificate of achivement....lol!!! or a lil gold star

ArtsyLady
07-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I like the Naive art...that suits my style..with a little whimsy thrown in..but I will try to stretch myself here..

Jean
07-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I love the Duffet art - naive, folk, fine, whatever...I love her Nova Scotia scenes! Her cats are adorable too.

Yes, Dar, my idea was for us to work to make the best art we can, trying to 'grow' as artists in the process. Whatever we see as fine art, whatever direction we would love to see our art take, in the swap we'd work on getting a step closer and encourage each other along the way.

And Mary's definition - fine art for pleasure alone - is super. I definitely am not a fine artist, then, since painting is both heaven and hell for me. I love playing with it, but I sure am disappointed when I see far I ended up from where I wanted to go! LOLOL

rkolig
07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Oh Jean, you're too hard on yourself.

messmaker
07-29-2009, 11:51 AM
sign me up! i've been wanting to stretch out a bit.

lilbad
07-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Jean, do u want these portrait or landscape?

Jean
07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't mean to be hard on myself, Mary, but this painting stuff is still really new for me, lol. But for now, what I 'see' in my mind is heads and shoulders above what ends up on the paper!! LOLOL So, I get disappointed, true, but I am also heartened by how much better my art is today than it was even a year ago!

You're in, messmaker! Roohah!

lilywaters
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
call me van gogh. or paula. just call me in this swap, please

rkolig
07-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Jean, the same thing happens with me and painting. Why do you think I use pen so danged much!!! LOL

Jean
07-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Welcome, lilywaters! Going to update first post...

LuvLoz
07-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Jean - I love that scene you created. The fall of the curtain is beautiful and I really like the little potted flowers.

lilbad
07-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I did my first "pot" and fleurs today. Not calling it fine art, however. A bit bummed actually!

LadyWatersnake
07-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Well I'm sure stretched! I have two wonderful pots of flowers done. one in Taos New Mexico, the other in Italy. I don't know how to post them to the thread. I'm almost cp illiterate. If someone can help me with that, I'll scan these and post them to see if you like them . I am open to constructive critism. bTW # 3 is in England, but not done yet. If you like these ,maay i oin this great swap?

grammyquilter2
07-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Cluck, Cluck, Cluck....how dare you say you can smell me, I used a deoderant...(surely you weren't indicating our art stinks when you say you smell chicken?)...Well, a gauntlet thrown must be answered....pleeeeezzzeee let me in this one, especially since you gave us a little time (though I am booked up all the way with life's "stuff")....:jiggy:

rkolig
07-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Lady Watersnake, you can upload them to the thread by either posting them in your gallery first

or

uploading them as attachments.

Here is a list of How To instructions:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970

Jean
07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Lilbad, relax, I'm sure your flowerpots are wonderful. Want to post them so we can commiserate? I'm really sweating that window scene and haven't had the courage to try another flowerpot yet. I thought maybe windobox...easier to do a door, lol!

Ladywatersnake and Grammyquilter, welcome! I'm glad to have you! Updating first post now...

LadyWatersnake
07-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Italian patio

LadyWatersnake
07-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Taos Courtyard

LadyWatersnake
07-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Okay folks, these still need a bit of refinement, but you can take a gander and let me know what else they need. I really doooo want to do these right.

Jean
07-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Wow, LadyW! Those are lovely! I can't wait to see what you do for your third...

Dadreemer
07-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I second that, Jean. They are lovely! The Italian Patio is my favorite.

LadyWatersnake
07-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words! What would be the host's fav country? Besides England I mean

Genxster
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow! You ladies work fast! I'm still staring hard at the blank paper. :eek:

Jean
07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Ah...my favourite country? I don't know that I have one...never traveled much. I remember a movie with particularly gorgeous scenery, Under the Tuscan Sun with Dianne Lane, I think the star was. Oh, I can't recall much of the plot, I was so taken with the old stucco and the beautiful lush countryside. That Meg Ryan movie had similar beautiful settings in it - French Kiss, was it, with Kevin Klein? I'm a sucker for scenery, lolol.

I'm going to try stucco in my next card...I have drawn an arch, actually, it's part of the Brelatour Courtyard in New Orleans. My dad's friend painted a beautiful scene of it that hung in our living room all my life, so I thought I'd do the archway and take some license, lol.

Jean
07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
LOL, Gen. I still haven't touched my window card again yet. Still playing with the copies, lol. And THAT is why this swap isn't due till October! LOLOL

Dadreemer
07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking of a flower cart with flower pots around it for one of the cards. With a "serious attempt to pull it off" on the side.

ceejay
07-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes, please sometimes I feel like a cat in a cage. A chance to S-T-R-E-T-C-H would be most appreciated.

Dadreemer
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I so like this piece ceejay. The flowers look real, and the colors that you chose are gorgeous.

ArtsyLady
07-30-2009, 01:37 PM
ceejay...so glad they let you out, I love the pansies perfect color. It looks like something that would be sitting on grandmas table...

Jean
07-30-2009, 02:59 PM
ceejay, that is beautiful! Are you joining us? We don't have many spaces left!! :jiggy:

lilywaters
07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
please save a place for ceejay. i spoke to her an hour or so ago and i'm sure she thought she was signed up.

ceejay
07-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes - Yes Of course I want to join. Thanks lilywaters for your email, I didn't realize I forgot to ask to be included.
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. The original has been traded to ArteDar.

Jean
07-30-2009, 04:58 PM
ceejay, welcome! I'm delighted to have you!

Please remember, all, that the size is 4x6 but we are not making these into postcards, ok?

Jean
07-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Oh, and they can be 4x6 portrait or landscape, either way is great!

ArteDar
07-30-2009, 05:30 PM
OH Ceejay....please do make it available! I love it and think its fabulous! I have a tea and coffee pot collection and have had sunflowers on my table in an old blue and white speckled large enamel pot....and I am a Grammy too...LOL!

rkolig
07-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Oh dear, I want soooo much to sign up. And the spots are filling quick. I was hoping to get a few done before committing. I'm trying not to get overwhelmed this summer and fall. AND I"m trying to get my entries done early. Otherwise, I'm bad. This girl NEEDS deadlines.

:sigh:

Ceejay and Ladywatersnake, those are lovely.

Jean
07-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Mary, I only have one thing to say to you: October. ;)

TimeInMyHands
07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
ceejay and LadyWaterSnake...those are beautiful paintings!!

I'm sorry jean but looks like I won't be able to join as I had hoped. I have too many other commitments at this time but will keep checking out all the lovely art you gals create! Have fun and maybe next time!

lilbad
07-30-2009, 09:24 PM
I am working on my third. They are 'just ok, dog'! as Randy Jackson would say. I will post them when I decide if they are going to be sent or not. I will be gone the month of Sept. so have to be serious about getting them done.
I love the posted fleurs, ya all!

ArtsyLady
07-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Jean, you said flowers in boxes or pots but would a basket be ok?

LadyWatersnake
07-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Dufton Churchyard UK

LadyWatersnake
07-30-2009, 10:05 PM
There's #3 now for tuscany

LuvLoz
07-31-2009, 12:19 AM
Everyone is creating such beautiful work! This is going to be such a fantastic swap.

Jean
07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
LadyW, wow! Your cards are lovely! I love swaps where everyone is really invested in the art...it really makes for a great swap.

Maybe next time, Timh!

And, novasmem...baskets, buckets, whatevers - all ok! Scenery, closeups, whatever you like! Just throw in some flowers in something or other somewhere in it, lol.

ArtsyLady
07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks Jean

Dadreemer
07-31-2009, 03:05 PM
I found this site today on how to draw flowers and plants ('cuz I don't draw), and thought it could come in handy for some here too.

How Stuff Works (http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-draw-flowers-and-plants.htm/printable)

Jean
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Wowowowowow! That's a great site, Dreemer! Thanks a lot!

grammyquilter2
07-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Dadreemer, THANKS VERY MUCH, wow that is something of bonanza site, and will come in handy for all the future....:jiggy:

ArtsyLady
07-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Dadreemer, that site sure makes things look simple..thanks for the tip

Dadreemer
07-31-2009, 07:05 PM
You are all most welcome....I printed it out....and because there was no "print page" button, there were more than 70 pages! Krimmany! And small print too. *where are my frikkin' cheaters so I can read all this*

lilbad
07-31-2009, 11:36 PM
I thought about printing it, but decided against it. Added it to my favs, instead. Thanks. It's very helpful!

Jean
08-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm still wading through that site! LOL It's a real goldmine!

Dadreemer
08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey Jean, mine are done. And you know, I didn't even use the flower tutorials from the site. What a waste. How sad is that? Couldn't bring myself to read the tiny writing....waste of paper too.

I will put them up as soon as the backs dry on them. They are the right size, but I dunna know if they will fit the 'fine art' theme. If not, no worries, I will do them over. There's still time. You have given us a 'step out of your comfort zone challenge'. Glad I took it.

Jean
08-02-2009, 03:55 PM
No worries on the fine art theme...we're looking to stretch, so it's aaaaaaall good! ;) Mine for sure won't fit the fine art theme...but they are fineR art, for me, so that's progress, lol. Couldn't ask for better company along the way than you ladies, either!

Dadreemer
08-02-2009, 07:03 PM
pics won't upload proper......be back shortly.

lilbad
08-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Wowza!!!!

Dadreemer
08-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, went to the "How To" section, tried all 3 ways to get my pics in here. Even dod a copy/paste from the address bar. The images come in way too big, broken image link icons, or not at all. Here are the links to the images instead.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=93850

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=93849

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=93848

So there ya go, hope these work for the swap Jean.

Jean
08-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Ooh, I like I like! Those are more than ok, Dreemer! Whoohoo we are on our way!

LuvLoz
08-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Wow, those are lovely Dadreemer!

Dadreemer
08-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanx all. Phew! I made the cut.

Genxster
08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
These are charming. I like the one with the armchair the best. I like the color choices and the balance.

kylieluvsart
08-03-2009, 02:26 AM
yeah me too and I also like the colour choice soo birght and happy.

well I have ripped up my first one and decide that before I go and use acrylic again I am going to do a few lesson locally first kinda lost my touch with it and just need to brush(as pardon the pun) up on my skills.

I did the next one in water colour and I am very happy with it.

Jean
08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I should say you are, kylie! It's lovely!

Listen to you, Dreemer - making the cut. LOL Any cut you don't make, I don't even want to see.

Now look at all of us - loving each other's work, wanting it, hoorahing and so on...and then looking at our own work and thinking, 'Oh, sheesh...is this ok???? Maybe not! I should...oh, why did I sign up for this??? I don't think I can... oh, dear...everyone else is doing such lovely work...and mine can't stand up beside theirs...' And didn't I just lead off by comparing my work to y'all's work!

We are sad puppies, aren't we! And the thing of it is, we all look at each other's work and think, 'Wow, I would like that one!'

Maybe the thing to do is look at our OWN early efforts....and then take a gander at our work lately. It's a good thing to see the growth we have made, although I was absolutely aghast at my old 'keeper' cards. I'm better than I was three years ago! We are all better than wherever we started....

Let's agree to adopt Mama's rule: Just smile and say thank you. None of that 'Oh, please, you should see....' or 'Really?? THAT??? You nuts??????' or 'Oh, thanks, but look at this bit that didn't come out right...' Let's just smile and say thank you.

LadyW....beautiful work! Great finer art!
Dreemer....lovely cards! Wonderful finer art!
Kylie...what a pretty jug of tulips! Gorgeous finer art!
ceejay...super teapot of flowers! Delightful finer art!

And the rest of us....well, let's just relax and have fun making OUR version of finer art!

lilbad
08-03-2009, 11:56 AM
I have three completed, but want to make a special one for u, Jean! Also, could u pm me your addy.

Dadreemer
08-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes ma'am, thank you.

rkolig
08-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I played with a few of these this weekend.

:sigh: Just once. JUST ONCE I'd like to paint a watercolor that I didn't feel I had to "save" with pen work. Well...it didn't happen this weekend. And you should have seen my first acryllic. Pretty scarey. (pssst.....I don't know how to paint with acryllic.) Its quite different as a medium and I can't get the detail I like. I know I get way to caught up in detail sometimes. I need to learn to paint "the essence" of something. It doesn't come natural for me yet.

Ironically, the one I like best, I painted with palette knives. Using a palette knife FORCES me to capture the essence.

I'll scan and upload my attempts later.

spineofafish
08-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Dadreemer is asking me to stretch my fledling wings and try a different format than the strict ATC, so here I are! May I join you?

grammyquilter2
08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
PALETTE KNIFE???? One of the most financially successful artists in the San Antonio area was Jose Vives-Atsara who did all of his work with PALETTE KNIFE only, and they were wonderful....Mary, won't you please upload yours as I am already sure it is wonderful....

Jean
08-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Welcome, dear fish! These are friendly waters! ;)

Looking forward to seeing your art, Mary! And thank you SO much for sharing that you are afraid of acrylics and that painting the essence of something doesn't come naturally. I don't even know what that means, but it's a help to know that we all struggle at one thing or another.

I have tried acrylics and they feel so *heavy* to me. Janet assures me that they are easier than watercolour but I have only dared one atc with them and her pages taunt me on the tabletop - all sketched out and waiting for acrylic to bring them to life as I promised. sigh.

rkolig
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
So here are 2 that worked out.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/188/small/1_fine_art_flower_vase001.jpg (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=94008) http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/188/small/1_fine_art_flower_vase002.jpg (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=94009)

Jean
08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
They sure did, Mary! Beautiful work!

rkolig
08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
So I guess that means sign me up?

Jean
08-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I won't make you ask twice! ;)

Did you paint them from life? See, I get all kerfluffed when I do a window scene. I start trying to get everything I can as a view...and just focusing on the flowers really makes an impact.

I'm working on a courtyard entrance right now - typical New Orleans thing - and the flowers are there but not exactly the focus. Maybe I'll do a more flower-centric one next!

rkolig
08-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I did paint them from life, but I also used alot of artistic license. LOL Meaning I left out things I didn't like and added bits here and there. So, I used the still life more as a loose reference than a strict one.

lilbad
08-03-2009, 04:50 PM
It's about time, Mary!!! Loverly!!

Dadreemer
08-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Fabulous work on both of them, Mary!

Pippin
08-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Well I have done sketch for my first one and am waiting for the frisket to dry!!
Awesome cards being posted so far!

lilbad
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I will post mine tonight. A bit of a worry---hope u like them.

Jean
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
As we'd say back home in Louisiana, 'Aaawwwwww, no!' No worrying allowed here. We're all working together with our friends to improve our art, that's all. This is not a juried swap, lol. There are no grades. There is only appreciation for our dedication to art and our love for it and the courage it took each of us to sign up for a swap that asks us to go where we are afraid to go because we think we may find out we don't belong there.

We do. Art, more than most things in life, is so personal that we can't get it wrong as long as we operate from our hearts, so let's love the work and each other and especially ourselves through the process, ok?

A fellow back home used to sell what he called a Cajun 'No Fear' t-shirt. It read, as I recall, 'Mais, I ain't scared, me!' It was a flash in the pan, but I wish I had a shirt for each of us to wear as we work away here.

We are AFA strong! We are AFA brave! We are AFA artists and our art is our own! HOO-AH! :jiggy:

lilbad
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM

lilbad
08-03-2009, 09:36 PM

lilbad
08-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Hm, won't let me post #3 for some reason.

lilbad
08-03-2009, 09:37 PM

lilbad
08-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I give up!

lilbad
08-03-2009, 09:40 PM

ArtsyLady
08-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Beautiful lilbad, I love the depth that you got in the geranium card...excellent Finer Art..

lilbad
08-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Why thank u! They all scanned very pale.

Genxster
08-04-2009, 12:50 AM
I think these are dreamy. Nicely done. I like how soft the flowers look. These are so peaceful looking. Wonderful cards!

rkolig
08-04-2009, 07:28 AM
They're lovely Lil!!

kylieluvsart
08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
lil they are awesome. love the shading

Jean
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Beautiful art, lil!! And kudos to you for not giving up with the thumbnails! ;)

Can y'all believe how wonderful this swap is going to be????

kylieluvsart
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
yeha I agree so many of you are soo talented

ArteDar
08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm here ya'll....I haven't actually started sketches yet, but I have had my camera out and took photos of some of my flowers and containers. I was thinking the same as you Mary, about editing out parts that I don't want in my my work as I was taking them. I was also thinking about posting my inspiration photos with my art piece so we could see the the difference....maybe not needed, but fun.
Jean, I'm on your brain waves too about our art. I've been writing out the base of the theme swap I'm opening and wanted to include my own personal view points and we are very similar. I feel as though we are kindred spirits...and there's a lot of love between us.
Lilly-Bell and Mary....you are my inspiration....I can feel the heart and soul you put into your art because it shines in my eyes.

lilbad
08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Everyone, thanks for the comments. I do appreciate all the hard work everyone is putting into these!

Jean
08-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Dar, you're just the kindest soul! ((Dar))

I agree with you both - whenever there is a swap that really touches people in their heart of hearts as this one touches on our hopes to do beautiful wonderful art - the art is powerful indeed. It's more than attractive - it carries the energy and heart we put into it. I think swaps like this generate the best we have in us.

Bevie2u
08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
I'd love to join in on this one...one question, 4x6 in size can we use any kind of paper???
Thanks I'm really excited about joining..
Bevie!!!

Pippin
08-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Hmm well here is my first possibility. Cant say I am thrilled, but I have learnt enough in my night classes to leave it alone right now. I need to practise being loose again. Might do more of Micheles class again!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/224/large/1_Flowerpot_1_1_1.JPG

Dadreemer
08-04-2009, 08:57 PM
looks fine to me Pippin. I'll be thrilled for ya, K?

lilbad
08-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Pip, I love it! Good job all the way around. Nice depth!

rkolig
08-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Its quite nice! Geez, you did better'n me. I might try another watercolor one and try to loosen up. We could take loosening up lessons Pippin!

I think for the next one, I'm gonna use a looooong handled brush and take my reading glasses off.

mtpaperplayer
08-05-2009, 11:00 AM
May I join?? Is there a spot left?
Oh, sorry, I didn't know that was 4 " x 6"... what sort of backing should we use??

Jean
08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Oooh, lovely, Pippin! You done good! ;)

I love the idea of no glasses, Mary. I generally have mine some other place from where I am anyway! LOL

Mt, wonderful to have you aboard! I am using 140 lb watercolour paper; anything comparable in thickness would be good, I imagine.

Joni Owens
08-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Is there a spot for me to get my toe in the door??? I need to stretch!

Genxster
08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, yes! Joni must play with us!!!!!

Joni Owens
08-05-2009, 07:59 PM
OMG!! Thanks for the vote of confidence (lol). I better go start cutting LOTS of 4x6 paper!!!

Genxster
08-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Oops, not that it's for me to say, Jean's the host, but it would be such fun to have you.

Jean
08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Jean is delighted to have Joni play with us! I'll update the first post now. Welcome, Joni!

Joni Owens
08-06-2009, 10:42 AM
YIPPEEEE!! I did some rough sketching last night - time to start the serious playing (lol)!!

LuvLoz
08-06-2009, 08:48 PM
This is looking like it will be a fantastic swap!

lilbad
08-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Jean, my pics are going into today's mail. Thanks for hosting such a fun and challenging swap!!

Jean
08-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I think my next swap will be a 'stretch' swap, too... It's more fun to stretch and practice with friends than alone!

rkolig
08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I like to host swaps that challenge people too. All those learning ops are good for the soul.

Dadreemer
08-07-2009, 04:29 PM
I think my next swap will be a 'stretch' swap, too... It's more fun to stretch and practice with friends than alone!

Indeed it is Jean, indeed it is.

Jean
08-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah well, sometimes you stretch and get strong, and sometimes you stretch and pull your back. I think I just pulled my back...argh, but I am not giving up, though I think there's little I can do on this one. It *does* look better in the hand, you can see all the faint cracks and colour variations in the stucco on the wall... I think I will have to stick to reference drawings instead of going off on my own. :(

kylieluvsart
08-08-2009, 09:20 PM
i always choose swaps that do that too. like I choose a swap that I have not thought of doing before like surreal swap because I am soo practical it stretches me and then in hand painted one well I just like to do them but I do have to think about the card I am doing. etc
Jean I like the one you have done.

Jean
08-08-2009, 11:57 PM
I'd love to join in on this one...one question, 4x6 in size can we use any kind of paper???
Thanks I'm really excited about joining..
Bevie!!!

OMG. I am a bloomin' idiot!!!! I completely missed this post - too wrapped up in my own drama, no doubt. Bevie, I am so very sorry for any inconvenience my error may have caused you. I am delighted to welcome you to the swap.

Any paper that is comparable to w/c 140 lb in thickness would be great as that is what I weighed at the PO.

Again, my apologies.:embarrassed:

Janet
08-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure if this is 'finer art' . The title is a little scarey :P

Jean
08-09-2009, 10:05 AM
They are lovely, Janet! The 'finer art' means.... 'finer art' than usual for YOU. Stretch a bit, try something new, etc. Don't be scared...;)

lilbad
08-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Jean and Janet, nice ART!!!!

egod
08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for posting that site. I might use it for the "learn-a-thon."

Bevie2u
08-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Janet these are awesome...I think they are definately fine art!!! I'd sure like them..hehehe!!!

Dadreemer
08-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Lookin' good Janet.

rkolig
08-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Those are very nice Janet. Definitely finer art.

I started a few more yesterday. Palette knife painting. Will try to finish them up soon. So far so good.

Janet
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I used a palette knife too!!!!

Everything I do seems wrong, so I'm not sure which, if any, I will be sending in.
Here's another but colours are much brighter irl.

ArtsyLady
08-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Janet, you say everything you do seems wrong....well than you must not have done this lovely pot of tulips because everything I see there seems RIGHT..the composition,the shading,the fluid motion to the arrangement and the beautiful colors...Alll RIGHT

The only thing that might be wrong if it were a vase of tulips in my house is...the absence of dust on the window sill....

Jean
08-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I agree! The tulips are wonderful!

I was going to let that sidewalk in the courtyard go, but figured it's a learning swap so I am trying to lessen the angle on it so it doesn't look like the Sidewalk to Heaven, lol.

Update: got a better angle, but ohmigosh, what about the grass now!!!! Eeek!

Janet
08-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Janet, you say everything you do seems wrong....well than you must not have done this lovely pot of tulips because everything I see there seems RIGHT..the composition,the shading,the fluid motion to the arrangement and the beautiful colors...Alll RIGHT

The only thing that might be wrong if it were a vase of tulips in my house is...the absence of dust on the window sill....

You have to have dust!!! I use the patterns to put things back in place ;)

Jean
08-09-2009, 04:21 PM
LOL! True enough. It's also cheaper than memo pads.

Pippin
08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Great art Janet!! and I love the Courtyard Jean!

Jean
08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
ok I have two done...I tried to make the window one better. The courtyard one gave me fits! Thank goodness for my trusty critique group - jklee was a big help!

lilbad
08-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I really like what u did to darken the green through the arch! U got it, girl!!

kylieluvsart
08-11-2009, 02:59 AM
yeah I like that too.
went through all the reference watercolour books I have and got one. bright blue door with pots one a step hopefully it turns out well.

rkolig
08-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Jean, that helped it alot!! I like the more intense colors. It shows alot of depth. You might even want to intensify the sidewalk going under the arch so that it appears to be in shadow (like the grass is).

kylieluvsart
08-11-2009, 07:43 AM
my swecond one is in my gallery

Dadreemer
08-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Excellent Jean! Love the lil' kitty leaving the scene.

Jean
08-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks, y'all! I'll darken the sidewalk, RK. I will. Btw, there's a cat in the courtyard one, too, in the circle.

lilbad
08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I am drooling over your art, Jean and Kylie. Wowza!

rkolig
08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
OMG! Look at these! Scroll down. Some really lovely fine art flower pots.

http://maryanncleary.blogspot.com/

kylieluvsart
08-11-2009, 06:10 PM
thanks lilbad and everyone for your lovely comments one the blue door I did actually find it a bit challenging but that's the whole point funny thing with p;ainting is i do a bit then walk away, come back a day or so later and see it a little differently oh and Jean thanks for making it a bigger size card I am rooly rooly enjoying that

lilbad
08-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Well, u did a wonderful job on the door. I love it!

kylieluvsart
08-12-2009, 01:45 AM
thanks

Jean
08-12-2009, 05:13 PM
ok, courtyard progression. I am done with this one, I think. As a kid in New Orleans, we'd roam the Quarter and sometimes you could stick your head into a courtyard entrance...oooh, we felt so wicked doing that! *s* They were so mysterious to us...and that's what I wanted to get for this one, that feeling of kind of mysterious dimness in a New Orleans summer long ago.

ArtsyLady
08-12-2009, 06:45 PM
The shadow below the arch did the trick...it looks wonderful Jean

Jean
08-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks! Mary was right on the money with the needed shading. Thanks, rk!

rkolig
08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Oh yes Jean! That's just perfect! You're welcome.

ArteDar
08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
WOW....You gals are doing incredibly well. Everything I've seen thus far is done in water color paints.....I am not at all skilled in this medium....so big kudos to all of you....I've tried and know it's not easy. My favorite medium is acrylic paints. I have taken some lessons and can tole paint comfortably. I'm getting caught up in my other obligations and hope to jump in here soon so I can get help and feed back too. What a great group...(((HUGS)))) I so enjoy coming in to see what's been made....the eye candy is sweeeeeeeeeet!!

kylieluvsart
08-13-2009, 05:13 AM
wow this difference is amazing !

Dadreemer
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
ok, courtyard progression. I am done with this one, I think. As a kid in New Orleans, we'd roam the Quarter and sometimes you could stick your head into a courtyard entrance...oooh, we felt so wicked doing that! *s* They were so mysterious to us...and that's what I wanted to get for this one, that feeling of kind of mysterious dimness in a New Orleans summer long ago.

Gosh Jean, you sure put your mojo on this piece. Stunning!

LuvLoz
08-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Jean - thanks for showing us the transition stages. That final piece is STUNNING!

rkolig
08-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Dar, I'd love to see some more in acrylic. I've got a couple started. Hope to finish them this weekend. But I'm new to acrylic, so....... who knows how they'll turn out.

Bevie2u
08-14-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm to say I'm backing out of this swap!!! Sorry am losing some of my hours online...blessings to all!!!

Jean
08-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Sorry to hear that Bevie - but thanks for letting me know! Anybody know a member who might like to play?

Jean
08-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, y'all. I was scared to try to fix that sidewalk but then I figured heck, it's all for learning, so... and dove in and it came out better than I thought it would. And that dark green part, which was a blot from trying to get the walk angle right, worked well for mood. I was just blundering along but somehow it came together. I guess the watercolour gods were with me on it! LOLOLOL

What are y'all working on? Do y'all use ref photos, real life scenes, or draw from your imagination?

lilbad
08-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Jean, my cards should be at your house by now....!

Jean
08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Not yet! Maybe today's mail...which won't be for a few hours yet. When did you mail them? I can't wait to see them!

kylieluvsart
08-15-2009, 02:06 AM
oh my gosh lilbad you change you avatar and signature !!!

lilbad
08-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Yes, Artedar did this one of me for the South Park swap. I think it's an adorable little sheep, so couldn't resist!

Jean
08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
It is adorable!

Today I have sketched out another card; we'll see how it goes. I'm tempted to try something different stylistically, you know? Freer and less laboured than I usually work...but I'm scared, lolol. Maybe I'll do my cards as I normally do and then try freer.

Boy, when I thought to myself, 'a learning swap' I had no clue what I was in for. LOL The window card took about 11 hours altogether but boy, that doorway card - ! I stopped keeping track at 30 hours, lolol. Quick I am not.

Whine aside, I feel as though I'm learning a lot. I never realized you could make such big changes in watercolour. I know that you can paint over oil and I guess acrylic too, but I didn't know you could just pull up watercolour and try again. I am all for second chances!

kylieluvsart
08-18-2009, 10:15 PM
it's learning ya gotta love in the end sometime cause in one process there seems to be soo damn much of it!

Jean
08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
No kidding! I'm taking a break and working on atcs for the monochromatic women swap for the next little while and deciding on another image for the 4x6...not to mention beginning work on another book last weekend and now working on a major event for September. For someone who never goes anywhere or does anything, I sure am busy! LOLOLOLOL

Jean
08-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Lilbad, your oh-so-beautiful flowers have arrived - safe, secure, flat, and fabulous! *happy dance*

I was having so much fun looking at everyone's work online, I forgot that I'd get to SEE it!!!!

lilbad
08-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Glad it arrived safely. Thanks for hosting such a fun swap!

LuvLoz
08-22-2009, 07:39 AM
I keep wanting to jump in and start on these, then remember that I have about 30 ATCs to make first! :(

Jean
08-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I know! I want to keep at these but I do have a few other things to do. I started another monochromatic woman last night. I am trying to do a brown woman but struggling with it.

jennschales
08-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I would like to join if you still have a spot...I love to paint and I love flowers!

Jean
08-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Welcome, Jenn! Glad to have you aboard! I'll add your name to the first post...

jennschales
08-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks so much! I'm really excited!

Jean
08-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I am too - this is a swap dear to my heart. *s*

ArtsyLady
08-23-2009, 05:48 PM
This is what I have come up with so far.....I think I would like to add some additional shading to the right of the basket or maybe a table edge....The basket weave gave me some difficulty..next time I will use a picture reference or a still life...It wasn't coming out of my head right..

lilbad
08-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Nova, I adore it!!

Jean
08-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Good grief, that's beautiful, nova! And it didn't come out right??? :swoon:

kylieluvsart
08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
yeah i adore it too nice work nova!

jean i am ready to send my cards and i will paypal five dollars to you ok?
i just need to check your address can you pm me? i do have a addy of your but i just want to be sure.

Jean
08-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Will do!

ArteDar
08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
NOVA....MAGNIFICENT!!!!

I have 2 cards sketched now....want to get more drawn before I pour puddles of paint!

JoyFlower
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Wow! I do love the work being done for this swap - MAGNIFICENT STUFF!!

LuvLoz
08-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Nova - that is stunning! The basket weave is great. I think a table edge in the right sounds like a good idea, just to ground the basket.

kylieluvsart
08-24-2009, 11:39 PM
mine went out today.. it's funny i took all this postage in to the post office and got it all checked out the guy and i were having this conversation and i mentioned that i worked in the newsagency three or four doors up and anyway the conversation finished and i walked out and went on to the next job of the morning next minute hubby rang to say i hadn't actually paid for any of the postage and could i please go back and pay.

the guy at the post office had left and walked up to the newsagency( hubby is handy man there at the moment!) and told him that i hadn't paid for it and could i please come back and pay.lol

Jean
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
LOL, kylie - but it sure sounds like a friendly PO!

kylieluvsart
08-26-2009, 03:47 AM
yeah he was great! most of them are now that they know that i work a couple of doors up.( and can chase me for not paying LOL)

Joni Owens
08-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Ok, here's my first two primitive fine art 4x6's:
31931 31932

Jean
08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Ohhhhh, Joni! *sigh* Those are lovely.

Y'all are going to make it really hard for me to let these go, I can tell....;) But I think y'all will be dancing for joy when they are finally home!

Joni Owens
08-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh thank you (wiping brow)!!! OK, getting brave, rolling up sleeves, er paint covered sleeves, getting ready to finish the last two.

lilbad
08-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Ok, love those, Joni. I will be leaving tomorrow for a month, so don't have any fun without me. I hope to post a thread of our travels. Hugs all!

Jean
08-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Safe trip, lilbad! We'll miss you! *nudging Joni* You get the key to the liquor cabinet and I'll call the dancers..

lilbad
08-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Oh u are too funny. The liquor cabinate is open---above the microwave! As for dancers, dh will want to stay home now!!

Jean
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
OH, does he like male dancers as much as we do? ;)

I'm starting to sketch out my next 4x6...may try a vase this time.

Dadreemer
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey Jean, my cards were mailed out to you this morning.

ArtsyLady
08-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Ok, help me out here....I'm finding this unbalanced. the bottom half needs something not sure what I can add...I was thinking maybe another stripe on the bottom of the vase...whatcha all think?

Jean
08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I sure wouldn't complain to get that as-is, but I know what you mean. I think another stripe would be lovely and give you the balance you want, though.

ceejay
08-28-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't think it's outbalanced, novasmem. You might add a ribbon? or maybe just a flower on the pot. Still, I like it just the way it is.

Jean
08-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Or a leaf on the table might weight the bottom satisfactorially.

If I were you, I'd draw a leaf or a stripe or whatever on plain paper, cut it out, then place it to see how it would affect the whole. That way, you'd know how it'd look before you touched it - and know whether you wanted to after all.

JoyFlower
08-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I think it looks quite nice, though maybe a teensy bit strong on the bottom section of the vase...but I wouldn't complain - the color tones are lovely.

Jean's offered a great bit of advice there! I must remember that....

kylieluvsart
08-29-2009, 07:20 AM
jean have you got my cards yet?

Jean
08-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Not yet, Kylie! When did you mail out? From Aus. it takes a while, normally.

ArteDar
08-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Awesome....loving the eye candy here!

Here are my works in progress....yup, I'm slow, but getting there. I love the granny one and had a vision during my daydreaming....when I cut and place flowers in a vase I always seem to make a mess and have to pick up bits on the floor....here is granny doing the same in a vintage kitchen. I just love the old antiques and the claw foot tub is in my side yard with some other old containers including an old adult size metal potty chair (removable pot)...I bet you wonder why would I want a bathroom outside!!!! Just call me nutty!
Sorry if the sketches are to faint/light to see....to be continues....LOL!

Jean
08-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Oooh, looking good, Dar! I have a window shelf that holds pots, just as in your last sketch!

ArtsyLady
08-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Dar, you and I are thinking along the same line...My third piece is going to also contain a watering can of just picked flowers...I like your oldfashion one...it reminds me of one my grandmother had with a wooden handle...I was thinking of putting sunflowers in mine.

Joni Owens
08-29-2009, 04:45 PM
My last two are finished - good stretching exercise - got to keep this up.

32115 32116

Jean
08-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Great job, Joni! I love the lady in her hat esp. You know me and a good hat! ;)

JoyFlower
08-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Such wonderful images!

Dar..one of the houses nearby has several "fixtures" in their yard. :) They even added a mannequin head to the bathtub full of flowers, lol.

I haven't started drawing but have started collecting some photo resources and designing in my head. Hope to start them soon. But first have to finish up a little commissioned project I'm working on.

red
08-29-2009, 10:50 PM
I love to paint flowers and I'm so excited to be trying this for the first time. Please send me message to let me know anything I might need to know for my first time. Thank you, Red

Jean
08-30-2009, 12:05 AM
welcome red!

Jean
09-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Ladywatersnake's artcards have arrived! Lovely, every one! I'm leaving your rep now!

kylieluvsart
09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
yeah i know it takes awhile you are right jean mailed out last wednesday so it still might be a couple of days

jennschales
09-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Here's mine! I'm putting them in the mail tomorrow!

Jean
09-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Lovely artcards, Jenn! I used to have a shrimp plant!

Jean
09-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I did one more...not sure about it but will post later, I hope!

jennschales
09-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Ok! Mine were mailed today finally!

Jean
09-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Whoohoo! I'll look forward to seeing them!

Grandma chook
09-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Jean can I go on the waiting list for next time please??Loving your art ladies.

Jean
09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi, Chookie...I think we can squeeze another friend in here. ;) If you'd like, you're in!

Grandma chook
09-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Yaaaaaay!!!! Thank you so much!!! Getting the paints out again tomorrow and having a dabble! :wub:

Jean
09-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Yippee! Another vict- I mean, player!!! ;)

Pippin
09-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Here is my next one. At one point I almost shredded this but then remembered my classes!!!!

Ill try and do something other than geraniums next!

kylieluvsart
09-06-2009, 10:22 PM
well i think its a great job!

JoyFlower
09-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Beautiful potted geraniums, Pippin!