blueskysunburn
02-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Signup date - March 21st
Withdraw date - April 4th
Swap Due Date - April 4th
Number of Cards - 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of participants -Unlimited

1730 1731 1732 1733

This swap is all about beeswax collages!

For those of you not familiar with using beeswax in collage some great tutorials can be found here:

Beexwax Collage by Marilyn Rock (http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/bx.html)
Beeswax Collage Techniques from HGTV (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_scrapbooking_memory/article/0,,HGTV_3318_3748819,00.html)

You can purchase blocks of beeswax in the candle section of Michaels, Joann's and Hobby Lobby. It's usually between $13-16.00 for a HUGE block of it. It will come in either "bleached" (which will be white and will be fairly clear over card) or "natural" (which will be yellow and will leave a yellow cast over the card). Which you use is completely user preference!

A wonderful gallery of beeswax collages can be found here:

Artful Adventures (http://www.artfuladventures.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Beeswax-Collage&page=1)

Creating Cards - All cards are welcome granted the guidelines below are followed.
* All cards should be standard 3.5” x 2.5” and well constructed.
* No heavy or bulky embellishments. PM me if you are unsure.
* All cards should be sent in plastic sleeves. Beeswax cards WILL stick together in transit if this is not done!
* All cards must be different and distinct.
* Please send work you are proud of and demonstrate your best workmanship! Time, effort and attention to detail will be considered when swapping out the cards.

Mailing Cards - All cards should be sent in plastic sleeves. Please include username and swap name on all envelopes.

* International participants – Please keep in mind it can take up to two weeks for me to receive international mail. I will cover your postage and return envelope. Please pm your address when you pm for mine.

* US Participants – Please include a self addressed envelope with username and name of swap written on the back. Do not send small return address labels in lieu of a clearly written address. Please include 58 cents minimum LOOSE postage. Unused postage will be returned.

* Please do not send bubble envelopes for returns!!!

Please PM for my address (or post in the thread if you already have it) when you are ready to send your cards.

Fine Print - All cards are due in my hands by the due date. Late cards will be returned. Please be aware if your cards do not meet the guidelines they will be returned. I will update the thread when I receive your cards but please allow 48 hours for trader ratings. Please send a PM if you need to withdraw. I will send one reminder PM (two weeks out for international, one week for local). Late arrivals or no withdraw communication/no cards will receive neutral feedback.

The photo pool will be updated periodically thoughout the swap. Credit is given to each participant. By signing up for the swap you are agreeing to have your cards displayed in the photo pool.

Thank you for participating in the swap!
I look forward to seeing everyone’s artwork!
As always, an extra on-theme card would be appreciated but is never required.

**Click here to view all the cards received in the swap!** (http://flickr.com/photos/blueskysunburn/sets/72157604049897641/)

1. lori.rn - South Carolina
2. cazfun - Australia (ar)
3. jzhanna - Tennessee
4. j4mi3 - Colorado
5. smullis - Colorado
6. goatgoddess - Texas
7. mrubyjean - Washington
8. egrobeck - New York
9. livia - Texas
10. vicki z - Minnesota
11. junquejo - Illinois
12. jetleg - Washington
13. hhc - Washington
14. bluellen - Massachusetts
15. pithier -Ohio
16. lindap - Netherlands (ar)
17. liverson - New York

blue - received
grey - withdrew

lori.rn
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi blueskysunburn. I would like to join your swap. I have a big block of beeswax just itiching to be used.

craftyvox
02-21-2008, 11:00 AM
This looks like an awfully cool technique. I however have no idea where I would be able to buy this type of beewax.. :( Have never seen it at our local craftstores I think.

Cazfun
02-21-2008, 11:29 AM
OK Sign me up looks like a cool technique... Now to find some bees wax

Cheers

jzhanna
02-21-2008, 12:43 PM
I just got a video on how to do this. Sign me up. You can buy beeswax at Woodcrafts if you have one. Joyce

goatgoddess
02-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I have beeswax and have wanted to do some atcs with beeswaz for a long time and it's still cool enough to send them to you in the mail in April - so please sign me up :)

blueskysunburn
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Okay! Welcome to the swap lori.rn, cazfun, jzhanna, j4mi3, smullis and goatgoddess!

Craftyvox - I didn't know if you were signing up or just commenting so just let me know.

Also, I noticed a few unrecognized screennames. If you have changed yours please let me know so I don't have duplicates in my address book! Thanks!

mrubyjean
02-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I would love to join this swap ~ I have been hooked on beeswax collage recently!

egrobeck
02-21-2008, 08:15 PM
please count me in! thanks!

blueskysunburn
02-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Welcome mrubyjean and egrobeck!

Bluellen
02-21-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm very tempted, but don't sign me up just yet. I'll be back. You, know it took me reading this thread title about 7 times before I realized it was really about using beeswax! I thought it was a swap themed about telling people to mind their own business! lol. Was I interpreting too literally or not literally enough?!?

blueskysunburn
02-22-2008, 12:44 AM
That's too funny Bluellen! Just let me know when you want to sign up.

livia
02-22-2008, 12:15 PM
It is a chance to use up my bees wax, please sign me up

Vicki Z
02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Please sign me up.

Junquejo
02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
I would love to join. I have been trying some new techniques & beeswax is one that I love.

Jo

jetleg
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I would like to join...I have beeswax and would love to make some special cards for this swap.... thanks...Jeanette

HHC
02-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Sign me up please! I love playing with beeswax!!!!

Also, FYI, you can find blocks of beeswax in the candle section of Michaels, and sometimes Joann's. Something like $13-14.00. Using the 40% off coupon and going in with a friend (its a LOT of beeswax) makes it more affordable. :)

blueskysunburn
02-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the swap livia, vicki z, junquejo, jetleg and hhc!

You know I didn't think to post where to buy beeswax! I will add some of ya'lls info into the first post of the thread for the other members browsing!

blueskysunburn
02-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Ok, I have never done this before in my swaps but I'm having so much fun playing with this stuff I may make a few more cards. I'm thinking others may feel the same way! I am changing the swap amounts from 3 for 3 only to 3 for 3 or 6 for 6. :jiggy:

That being said I make the requirement in the guidelines for cards not to be duplicates and to be distinct and original. PLEASE do something more then move an item to the other side or change the background a little bit. If this swap stays as small as it is I may have to give some players more then one card from each person if everyone sends in six (though I will try not to). If the cards are too much alike and it comes down to it, I will send the extras back.

egrobeck
02-23-2008, 06:19 PM
got a question - would stamping as opposed to collaging - be ok? just want to check before I send my cards. thanks!

blueskysunburn
02-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't see why not! There are some really neat things to be done with stamping and beeswax! Just please be sure there is something (either altering, coloring, etc.) other than just a stamp and nothing else done to it besides the beeswax. Not that I need to say anything like that. I've seen your work ;)

egrobeck
02-23-2008, 07:48 PM
great! and there is definitely alot done to the stamping! started with a saranwrap ink background, then crackle stamped then added more stamp images and ink, then beeswax = then more stamps. I had so much fun! I'm sure you'll like! will be mailing them come Monday. (here's a sneak peek, I'm keeping the T) (where the pic is blurry, that's a buildup of beeswax - and I used some crayons on two of them for added color)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2026/2286509023_a194e9b127.jpg

blueskysunburn
02-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Those turned out great egrobeck! Can't wait to see them in person.

Bluellen
02-23-2008, 10:13 PM
awesome, egrobeck! bluesky, sign me up now, please!!!

blueskysunburn
02-23-2008, 11:09 PM
your signed up bluellen!

egrobeck
02-24-2008, 12:29 AM
thank you ladies! hot wax is so much fun! (as long as you don't get it on you that is - LOL!!) this was really a great idea for a swap!

craftyvox
02-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Craftyvox - I didn't know if you were signing up or just commenting so just let me know.

Sorry bout the confusion heh. I won't be able to join this time unfortunately, no where I can find beeswax heh. Maybe another time! Have a great swap!

blueskysunburn
02-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Received our first set of cards today from egrobeck. Sometime this weekend I will get them scanned in and uploaded so the link will be active. I will post when it's done.

Cazfun
03-01-2008, 03:18 AM
I have a quick question??? Do you know if there will be any problems posting the beeswax cards between countries??

It is an organic substance and I wonder how customs in each country handles it.... I know the guy I bought my beeswax from said he was unable to post the wax to a specific state here in OZ WA, because of National Quarantine restrictions.

I wouldn't want to go to all that trouble and not be able to send or get them back???

Any thoughts

blueskysunburn
03-01-2008, 09:18 AM
I have sent beeswax cards overseas and within the states before without problems. Since it's a letter I didn't have to declare what was inside when sending overseas. I haven't heard of anyone in the states not being able to send them. Anyone else ever have problems?

mrubyjean
03-01-2008, 02:03 PM
No, I have not had problems.
I honestly never thought about it though because I think of it as a card and not a beeswax card. I have received several wax cards from Europe as well with no problems.

Cazfun
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
No problems then... I thought it would be OK... just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Cheers

lori.rn
03-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Can I melt my beeswax in my melting pot and then reuse it for something else? I didn't know if it had to be a dedicated pot or not. I do know that it's highly flammable........right?

blueskysunburn
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I think you have to use a designated pan for beeswax in your melting pot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I just use a cheapy potpourri burner I got from wal-mart for a little under $5. A LOT cheaper than having to buy a new pan for my melting pot. I leave the cooled beeswax in the burner for the next time I want to play with it.

As far as being flammable yes I believe it is.

blueskysunburn
03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Received cards today from vicki z!

pithier
03-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I'd love to join please!

blueskysunburn
03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Sure! Welcome pithier!

I noticed you haven't entered your location in your profile info. Could I get that from you please?

blueskysunburn
03-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Okay, the photo pool is updated and the link in the first post is now hot!

pithier
03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
For making small items, I use the beeswax pellets, or I bet you could also just carve up your big block into smaller pieces. That way, you don't need a melting pot at all. Just sprinkle the small pieces over your piece and use one of those small clover quiliting irons to melt the wax. I find this works great!

Susie

blueskysunburn
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I bet that works out great too! I haven't done it that way. I started out working on larger pieces so I needed a bunch at one time.

Cazfun
03-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi I have finished my cards now... Love the technique... hope you like my cards

Here they are in my gallery.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?u=273

I will post them out today.

Cheers

blueskysunburn
03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Those turned out great cazfun! Thanks for letting me know. I will make a note.

blueskysunburn
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
A little goes a long way once it's melted. :) Welcome to the swap Linda!

liverson
03-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh I have a small fetish for wax these days... what does that mean? Sign me up please....I need to melt! I want to buy a fiber iron... Can I embed sead beads or would that be too bulky? Let me know.

blueskysunburn
03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I fetish for beewax? Hmmmm.... ;) Welcome to the swap!

Honestly, I have no idea what seed beads are so I couldn't tell you!

sometomato
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Just browsing here, but seed beads being a lot smaller than buttons, I would imagine they should be fine.... Hmmm, I will have to try out this technique...

blueskysunburn
03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for clarifying sometomato. If they're that small I agree with you they should be fine. Let me know if you decide to stop browsing and want to sign up. :)

Received cards today from smullis. I love how you embedded items into the wax. I have not done that too much. May give it a go.

Vicki Z
03-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Honestly, I have no idea what seed beads are so I couldn't tell you! Originally, seed beads meant beads so small, they might be mistaken for seeds. Nowadays any small bead is often called a seed bead. Smullis used seed beads at the bottom left (and top right) of her beeswax card, link attached.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=2105

blueskysunburn
03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Ooooh. I would have nver those that's what those were called! :)

blueskysunburn
03-11-2008, 11:42 PM
The photo pool has been updated.

lori.rn
03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I have finished mine. Have been waiting for the gallery to open up so I can load. Since it is still down, I will try and load them here if the images aren't to big. I used alcohol inks, printed tissue papers, rubber stamps.

Oh.........I need your mailing particulars.

mrubyjean
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi...my cards are finished! It was a new adventure for me posting them to my flickr account, which I have not really used before. The scans washed the colors out a bit ~ they are really darker and more luminous.
Here they are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23799683@N02/2339467458/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23799683@N02/2339467208/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23799683@N02/2338633533/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23799683@N02/2339466982/

Please PM your address for mailing ~ thanks!

blueskysunburn
03-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Fantastic cards guys!

Only a few more days until signups are closed. Anyone else want to join?

Junquejo
03-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Mine are almost done & should be in the mail early next week. I will post them as soon as the gallery is back up :D

Jo

blueskysunburn
03-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Great, thanks for the update junquejo!

blueskysunburn
03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Last day for sign-ups. Anyone else?

Bluellen
03-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Heya Bluesky..my cards are done...what a great process this was...I love bee's wax! Very ethereal layers. I've posted my cards in my flickr galler of you'd like to see. 2 more in the works and then I will choose some to send in the mail tomorrow! VERY FUN for me.

blueskysunburn
03-24-2008, 12:14 AM
I was just looking at them before I headed over here. They turned out great!

HHC
03-24-2008, 04:43 PM
My cards are done and in todays mail... :)

blueskysunburn
03-24-2008, 06:49 PM
I saw these on flickr earlier today. I had no idea they were your beeswax ones! You can tell once you open it up. That's what I get for not zooming in. They turned out great!

jzhanna
03-26-2008, 11:18 AM
I had trouble with these so I am withdrawing from the swap. I am going to keep trying to get some that look good because I really want to learn to do this. Maybe next time.

Had trouble keeping wax warm enough between the pot and the card. It would lump before I could spread it. My papers would peel off when they got cold, but the heavier embellishments would stay put. :wacko:

Guess I will invest in one of those irons when I go out of town next.

Joyce

liverson
03-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Im ready to send... but wondering how you want me to particapate in the photo pool.

blueskysunburn
03-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Sorry to see you go jzhanna! The iron works best. You can get one at Joanns for around $12 if you use the coupon! Hopefully next time!

liverson - No work needed on your part! I scan all cards in once I receive them and add them into the pool. I usually update it every Saturday with the cards I have received from the previous week.

liverson
03-27-2008, 09:31 AM
I forgot to mention that I dont have the address. thanks

liverson
03-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Lets try that again.

blueskysunburn
03-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Those are really cool liverson! I like the one with the $ sign in the sky best.

Received cards some awesome cards today from jetleg and hhc!

blueskysunburn
03-28-2008, 11:51 PM
The photo pool has been updated with everything received to date for those that want to take a peek!

blueskysunburn
03-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Received some lovely cards today from livia. Hand delivered no less!

It's down to the final week before deadline! I am sending a pm to all participants I have not received cards from. I cleaned out my inbox and I think I may have also deleted a couple of people's pms. I'm still adjusting to the smaller inbox :embarrassed:

Bluellen
03-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Mine have been sent! You should get them very soon!

blueskysunburn
03-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Awesome, Thanks for letting me know bluellen!

blueskysunburn
03-31-2008, 08:14 AM
They should. I usually don't have trouble receiving from the Netherlands. I will let you know when they arrive.

blueskysunburn
03-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Received some fantastic cards in today from bluellen, lindap and mrubyjean!

blueskysunburn
04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Received cards today from j4mi3. Only waiting on two more sets!

blueskysunburn
04-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Oh yes, there is always a first time. In one of my last swaps it took some cards over a month to reach me from Germany! I always know to give overseas mail at least two weeks.

blueskysunburn
04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Received some lovely cards today from pithier. Liverson, I hope yours arrive in time!

I will have to scan everything in this weekend. Everyone did amazing work!

blueskysunburn
04-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I scanned in all the cards received so far. I am finishing up the backs of mine and then will scan them in too.

liverson
04-06-2008, 01:19 AM
today I found the envelope in my bag. They were done awhile back. I sent them today. Im so sorry!!! Ive never misplaced an envelop. I understand if you cant wait. Please forgive me.

blueskysunburn
04-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Ah, man. I hate it when that happens!

I'm sorry but I swapped everything out yesterday evening. Today is house cleaning day while Hubby is off at the races (trust me it needs it! :twitcy:). I will return them to you when I receive them.

You are welcome to participate next time! I will be having another beeswax swap again soon. I love this stuff!

blueskysunburn
04-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Ok, for those of you that have been in my swaps before you know the drill...for the newbies - I plan to mail the cards out tomorrow morning but I don't always get lunch breaks. Sometimes I don't get to the post office until the middle of the week. I will post a confirmation once I drop the cards off.

blueskysunburn
04-09-2008, 10:23 AM
All cards were dropped off at the post office this morning! Thank you everyone for participating. :)

Oh! Just a heads up when you get your cardsthe plastic sleeve up off the front of the cards before trying to pull the card out. The heat will make it stick a little bit.

goatgoddess
04-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I got wonderful cards yesterday - thanks so much blueskysunburn for hosting!
off to leave rep points for lindap, lori.rn, and egrobeck! :jiggy:

blueskysunburn
04-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Yea, they are starting to arrive!

mrubyjean
04-14-2008, 12:29 AM
I received terrific cards from HHC, cazfun and lori.rn.
Thanks, blueskysunburn, for hosting such a great swap!

Vicki Z
04-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Received my cards today.
Thanks, blueskysunburn, for such a fun swap

blueskysunburn
04-14-2008, 08:25 AM
You are welcome guys! Glad you like your returns!

jetleg
04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Thank you for hosting this great swap. I just received my wonderful cards from Bluellen, VickiZ and Susie H. Thank you all this was so fun....it got me totally hooked on beeswax.

Bluellen
04-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I am totally hooked on bee's wax too! Got my return! Thanks to jetleg, susie hopper and Livia! Great cards all! And thank you blueskysunburn! Let's do it again!

blueskysunburn
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Glad you both like your returns!

Trust me, there will be another! Nice to see I'm not the only one with a new addiction, heh, heh.

HHC
04-14-2008, 08:09 PM
My cards came today! Thank you to mrubyjean for evening glow, VickiZ for afternoon tea and Lindap for a vintage postcard and stamp card. They are all incredible! Thank you Jennifer for hosting, this was way too much fun. :)

blueskysunburn
04-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Your guys are certainly welcome! Glad you like your returns!

egrobeck
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
got GREAT cards from goatgoddess, Helen Campbell and Caroline Gunn - thank you ladies! and special thanks to blueskysunburn for hosting this fab swap!

blueskysunburn
04-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Glad you liked them! Happy to host it. :)

Cazfun
04-16-2008, 03:56 AM
I got some lovely returns today... thanks ladies... HHC, Vicki Z & egroback...

Im off to leave itrader & reps... thanks heaps Blue for being a great host...

Cheers

blueskysunburn
04-16-2008, 08:49 AM
You are welcome! Glad you like your returns. Wow, this was a quick ending to the swap. I believe I have heard back from everybody but two people now.