PDA

View Full Version : 1-1: Art for PENNIES!

Chronata
02-21-2008, 12:45 AM
I have this mad collection of Pressed Pennies...

you know the kind I am talking about?
Usually found in tourist places like amusement parks, museums, zoos and travel stops...these are squished pennies that have a logo or picture on them.

I WANT YOUR SQUISHED CENTS!
Especially if it's from your favorite local tourist place! :rolleyes:

For every pressed penny, I will trade you a a piece of my art!
I offer your choice...

a couple of Theme Magnets of my ATC prints
or
a blank Greeting Card featuring my art
or
or a custom ATC (your choice of theme!)

Let me know if you can help me out and add to my collection!

topacelot
02-21-2008, 01:58 AM
might take a bit to get back to you...I think I still have some at my mom's...will have to check next time I'm there...just remind me in a month or so...I don't end up there too often :)

tattogirl
02-21-2008, 02:07 AM
i pm'ed u. let me know if u are interested. Kymberlee

lori.rn
02-21-2008, 11:01 AM
the next time I am downtown Charleston, I will get you a pressed penny of the USS Hunley, a civil war submarine that was sunk in the Charleston Harbour and just recently brought up from the bottom.

craftyvox
02-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I love pressed pennies!!! I can't help making them whenever I am somewhere where I see those machines. :) I saw them first while in the USA, but recently heard they have those machines as well at some places here in my own country. If I come by one I'll think of you!

lisavollrath
02-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Because I am the repository of all useless knowledge---here's a web site that gives the locations of penny machines around the world. If you don't have a penny to trade, maybe one of these machines is close to you:

http://www.pennycollector.com/AreaList.aspx

:twitcy: Don't ask me how I knew this list existed...

Chronata
02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone for the great response!

It might take me a bit to make some hand drawn stuff...but it's worth it!

Tattoogirl, you have a pm, and one is on it's way to Schonafrye!

Lisavollrath...that website is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing it!

altermyworld
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Robyn the next time i am down to Niagara Falls i will get you one from there, have you ever been here? If you ever want to come, i live only 1/2 hr away. PLease come and visit.
Ang

BigKay
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
This was my first job when I moved to Philadelphia!
I was a penny girl @ The Franklin Institute / Liberty Bell / Sport Stadiums / Zoo, etc.
That was before the machines took over, I guess. I had to explain to the kids how it worked. It was a great job!
I must have some still ... somewhere.
I'll look through my junk for you!

Merricat
02-21-2008, 12:43 PM
ROBYN!!! I forgot it was you!!!!! There are 2 places I can get them and I couldn't remember who it was that collects them!!! Next time I go I'll get them for you! :)

Chronata
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
You guys are just awesome! Thanks!!!!

It's cool to get them from places I have been...and even cooler in a way, to get them from places I have NEVER been!

BigKay...that's a cool job to have! I would have been thrilled to be a penny girl!

babbetto
02-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Wow! Lisa, I checked that site and I have over 50 in my immediate area!
I never knew, hehe Thanks!

Bunnie
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Robyn,

I have this one in my area, http://www.pennycollector.com/Details.aspx?location=34632 there are four designs - It is right down the street from me! Do you want one (or four)? I love bunnies! So a bunny card or two would be loverly!

trini70
02-22-2008, 03:54 PM
I subscribed to this thread. If I'm ever out and run across one I'll make you a penny. I'll have to go check out that website. I used to have a penny from Dolly's Stampede in Branson but a few yrs ago I gave it away to another collector.

Kosmopooch
02-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Chronata - I will be happy to get some pennies for you from wherever I can when I'm out and about in the Seattle area. I'll subscribe, too, and let you know. Wish I had read this sooner....I just went to the zoo!

Chronata
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Babbeto...that's funny...I only have a couple from the Las Vegas area (when I was married there!) If you ever wanna send me one ...that would rock!

Bunnie...I sent you a PM!

trini70...thanks!! Take your time, I have a lot of ATCs to make right now! LOL

Kosmopooch...Seattle pennies would rock! Thanks!!!

Everyone...just let me know when you have one to send, and I will make you something special for it!

topacelot
02-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Is it ok if they have a hole in each?

I was taking a jewely class and some point and thought about using them so I now have a baby simba from disneyworld and taz from six flags each with a hole in a non-design area...

babbetto
02-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Chronata next time I'm out and about I'll see if I can't pick one up for you.
I would love to be able to help out!

Chronata
02-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Topacelot...that would be allright with me! I have a few with holes myself, that I made into a gypsy necklace!

thanks Babetto!

Loralou
02-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Oooh I want to collect them too! What fun! When I next see a machine here in England I will make you one too :)

craftyvox
02-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh wow the website LisaV linked too even lists the ones in my own country. Am going to check out where!!:) I love those pennies. Will make a bunch of them so I can trade them out with others as well if there are other collectors!

stillatthetop
02-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I have several of them, but I do not wish to part with them. If I come across a machine I will make extras to trade. Thanks for the machine link lisavollrath!

Jitterbug
02-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi, I will be going to the Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA for a field trip with my student in March. I would be happy to get you a penny/pennies from there. Check out the web site posted from LisaV and let me know which planes you want on your penny/pennies! What a fun collection. ;)

Kosmopooch
02-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Got you three today! I'll PM you!

Casssita
02-26-2008, 01:51 AM
I am going to the san diego zoo next week, Lord willing. I know they have a few machines there. I used to get the pressed pennies when I was little. If you don't have any from there yet, I can bring some back for you.

Chronata
02-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Yay! You guys rock! Thanks for all the penny offers!

As far as what I like in a pressed penny...pick the design YOU like best! I am sure I will too!

It may take some time to get to all the requests for custom cards, so please be patient with me.

I am going out of town on Friday...so just know I haven't abandoned you! I probably won't have much access for a week or so.

LavenderLizard
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd like to join in on this trade! I live near the State Museum in Columbia, SC, and can get you several of those pennies. I'd love ATCs in return--mythological themes would be great. And I am in no hurry, so just send me your address and I'll wait as long as you need for the returns.

OriginalYouth
02-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Chronata, I have a 49ers penny, but it has a wee hole (I was testing my crop-a-dile). I'll send it to you if you still want it! As a RAK.

PurpleRealm
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Well thats just sad.... there are no machines in Western Australia!
However there is one of the Rialto Tower in Melbourne, Victoria. My hubbies cousin works in the CBD so next time we chat with her Ill ask her to get one for you from there! :D (as a RAK)

LuvLoz
02-28-2008, 07:01 AM
OH, if only I had known you wanted these about a month earlier. I've recently been to two places that had them, and thought they were so cool since they're not normally found here in Australia. I would have been happy to get extras for you, especially for the chance to get more of your beuatiful art. :)

Artpup
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi I live is Washington and I'm going to seaside OR. March 15th do you have one from there??? They have a cute carousel one we have it, my son loves them too... they now have a quarter one too..
Renne
oh and by the way I'll just send it to you free from trade if you don't have it :)

rturnland
03-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Chronata, if you are still interested, I have some pennies to trade for. As stated on the site that LisaV posted, one of the machines is rolling them short. If you don't mind. At the least very least, 3, 6 if you don't mind the shortened ones. It's up to you.

I like teddy bears and fantasy/mythical creatures-things.

Rob :)

Chronata
03-08-2008, 12:21 PM
WOW! Thank you everyone for your wonderful offers!

I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment with trades, so here is what I am going to do...

WHEN YOU ARE READY TO SEND ME A PENNY (or two!) throw me a PM!

I will be able to trade addresses with you then, and get a good idea of what I can offer you in return!

I am still working on a few custom cards for this thread, so I apologize for my slow slow responses!

promisedheartbrk
03-14-2008, 02:25 AM
I have one around the corner... its not a "location" press though they are "my lucky penny" "best friends" "love" and a smiley face.... (http://www.pennycollector.com/Details.aspx?location=4004) <- if that works
If you want any of those i can take a quick drive... Let me know

I may have a few from disney, and dutch wonderland... If I find them... I think they are at my moms place... next time i head down there I will find them for ya.

cars4cows
03-19-2008, 08:37 PM
I am at Disneyland periodically (thanks to an annual passport), and they have pressed penny machines. I can get one the next time I'm there. Would you be interested?

Bunnie
03-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I got my cards today, and they are totally AWESOME!! Thank you! I completely got the best end of this deal! Thank you!!!

Loralou
05-17-2008, 02:28 PM
I made a pressed penny for you on my recent trip to Manchester. Would you like it?

AnitaM
05-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I might be going to cadbury world and they have 3 machines there - if I remember I will get them for you if you are still interested.