PDA

View Full Version : AUG 21-23 Learn-a-thon Weekend

Linda4atc
08-01-2009, 05:22 PM
LEARN-A-THON Thread (http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11670)
Ok the classroom is all set
I looked in Aug there is...

Aug 7-9 Stamp-a-thon (maybe)

Aug 14-16 Melt-a-thon

Aug 21-23 Goodie-a-thon AND Learn-a-thon BOTH

Aug 28-29 All-Types-of-Art-A-Thon

Sooo I was thinking would anybody join me if I schedule another Learn-a-thon????

Link to Last years Learn-a-thon (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4765)

I would do it starting at noon on Friday Aug 21 to Midnight Sunday...

Ibus
08-01-2009, 06:10 PM
The GAT athon is supposed to be this weekend. Looks like Tam forgot to list it ;)

Linda4atc
08-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Hmmm and she just left for a week didn't she???

Linda4atc
08-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Well The learn-a-thon does not include much in the way of trading. Need to talk to a moderator, maybe we can do both ... I would be glad to add a link to the GAT in the first post.

chatty
08-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Linda I voted, but, I had to say no...only because we will be in Game Season and the weekends are the worst for us. So I don't want to commit in case that weekend is really heavy with business....That last one was so much fun!

Linda4atc
08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
LOL I voted first so I could see how they showed who voted. Now I look silly voting for my own poll.

Ibus
08-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I've just worked my way through the old thread and don't see why we couldn't do both. There's no trading in this one and as it's a Goodie-athon, not much creating in that one ;)

Linda4atc
08-01-2009, 07:00 PM
LOL Yes I posted in the HOST Forum to ask the moderators the same thing... That is just what I was thinking...

Ibus
08-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I didn't realise that was from last year, so Repped Stormarela saying I was glad to see her back :eek: Duh!!!:huh:

Linda4atc
08-01-2009, 07:08 PM
LOL oops... ;)

Jean
08-01-2009, 08:07 PM
What a great idea! I'll work on one of my watercolour books or maybe youtube lessons....

complicious
08-01-2009, 08:19 PM
This sounds great--I always need 'appointment' time to basics, it seems. And I'm now enrolled in Whimsey II, so that will be perfect to do (plus the drawing instruction, the watercolor instruction, and so on!)

grammyquilter2
08-01-2009, 08:34 PM
August has me in tangles, but I think this is a GREAT IDEA and much needed by myself for sure.....will be lurking if I can for sure!

seekingforart
08-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I vote yes.... I'm planning on it ! :)

Pippin
08-01-2009, 09:09 PM
It will give me a kick in the pants to carry on with my watercolour lessons!

Linda4atc
08-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Awsome so glad you all are interested...

I hope there is no conflict having the Learn-a-thon and Goodie-a-thon the same weekend.

Linda4atc
08-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Ibus pointed out the Goodie-a-thon Tamrantula has may be the same weekend. I am hoping we can do both. If when she gets back week she is not happy with me doing this the same weekend I will cancel and try to reschedule it.

I added a link in the first post to a thread I placed in the Host Forum to get the moderators input, But I respect and like Tam and as far as I'm concerned she has first dibs on the weekend, so it's a go only if she feels it won't interfere with her GAT.

HHC
08-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I personally don't think it would be a problem having two events going on... the GAT does not involve creating (just gathering fun supplies) and the learn-a-thon does not involve trading. I don't see a conflict, but would go along with Tamra's decision, and/or the boards decision.

Unfortunately, our family reunion is that same weekend so I'll miss both. We'll be out of town without internet access. And I'd so love to work on my watercolor techniques. :)

egod
08-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Are we to work on anything we like, or is it supposed to be primarily drawing?

Thorn
08-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I'll play! But I probably wouldn't be doing a lot of drawing - there are still tons of other techniques I've been dying to learn.

Just Ducky
08-02-2009, 04:30 PM
oh put me down for learning... I need to learn something... nuttin working for me lately.

Linda4atc
08-03-2009, 01:45 AM
egod, Thorn and everyone else. The learn-a-thon can be used for you to learn or practice in attempt to perfect any technique you want.

I drove back down to my trailer today. My computer is in one trailer and my studio (art stuff) is another. So I will probably practice my sketches at learn-a-thon so I work near the computer and scanner.

Linda4atc
08-03-2009, 01:46 AM
:laugh: I hope that learn-a-thon helps ya ducky ;)

Linda4atc
08-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Awsom Just talked to Tamrantula and it looks like she will have the Goodie-a-thon and I will have the Learn-a-thon Both on the same weekend. I'll post a link to the GAT in the LAT thread. So you all can be sure to check out both threads!

rkolig
08-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I haven't voted yet. It would be fun, but I'm always at the cottage on weekends, so don't have internet access. I DO however, have access to all my art instruction books. LOL

HHC
08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
rkolig, you could practice a technique while at the cottage and then post what you had done when you return.
Now if I can figure out how to do that while co-hosting the family reunion, I'll be set. Hmmm...

Linda4atc
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Mary, we would Love to see your lessons when you return...

LOL Helen let me know if you think of a way...

Hugs....

midnitecreations
08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm finally home to stay (I hope) and would love to get some time to expand my skills! I'll be playing.

Linda4atc
08-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm so excited I'm glad that several of you are going to join me!

Donnacr
08-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I have been promising myself to learn pergamano (had the books for years but they have just held up other books on the bokshelf) and I have just bought some watercolour paints and paper - it may not sound like much but I have been told from when I was very young that I cannot draw, so there is NO confidence that there will be results (just messy failures)
having read last year's thread this may be the encouragement I need to start having a go

Linda4atc
08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Ohh Donna yes do join us. Everyone can't be good everything but I think you can learn to do some awsome watercolor scenes with little actual drawing. But who knows with practice you may find that you love and are good at drawing as well.

And I have some pergamano I have hardly used as well. I'm pretty sure it is still up in Eureka. One thing I learned Is you can get white Staz On ink pad and use some rubberstamps to do Pergamano as well...

Donnacr
08-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Good tip about the white ink, Linda4atc, thanks - most people look at me as though I have made up the word when I mention pergamano, SO nice to meet someone else who knows what it is I am looking forward to trying watercolours, I think (there's that lack of confidence again - I WILL beat it!)

HHC
08-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, I am one who hadn't a clue about pergamano... and Googling it hasn't helped me figure out what exactly it IS that you have. LOL!

Tamrantula
08-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I found a tutorial video about it HHC--showed how to make a tag with the technique.

Tamrantula
08-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Ibus pointed out the Goodie-a-thon Tamrantula has may be the same weekend. I am hoping we can do both. If when she gets back week she is not happy with me doing this the same weekend I will cancel and try to reschedule it.

I added a link in the first post to a thread I placed in the Host Forum to get the moderators input, But I respect and like Tam and as far as I'm concerned she has first dibs on the weekend, so it's a go only if she feels it won't interfere with her GAT.

Thanks so much for the kind words, and consideration, Linda!

Tamrantula
08-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I think I will use the time to attempt to make my first art doll...and try using polymer clay either for the face or something!

Linda4atc
08-09-2009, 02:55 AM
I think I will use the time to attempt to make my first art doll...and try using polymer clay either for the face or something!

:idea:That sounds fun. I bought a face mold and that paperclay to do some masks on an African Chunkie, and I havent done anything else with it! Maybe I'll get it out and play with it during the ATART-a-thon.

Linda4atc
08-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Well, I am one who hadn't a clue about pergamano... and Googling it hasn't helped me figure out what exactly it IS that you have. LOL!

Well it is kind of a combination of things. It is usually done on a special vellum type white paper. It usually has a dry embossing (stylus rubbed on back to raise the lines and shadingareas) and cutwork combination that gives a lovely lacy look. They sell tons of fancy tools for the embossing, cutwork and tinting with color. But it can be all embossed or all cutwork. And it is very often all or almost all done in white. But sometimes color is added.

A local shop used to have a big display with it, and all kinds of lovely samples, including cards, frames, and ornaments. I started it thinking I had a stylus and only needed a couple things to do it. I came back in later to ask a question and found out I had to have special scissors and this and that ..... I was upset because I wasn't planning on starting on something that cost alot at that time. I never did do very much of the cutwork but I have a basic set of the tools and may do it again sometime. It is really lovely!

Linda4atc
08-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Helen I went looking online and found this site with a video that shows it really well.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Pergamano-Paper-Craft

I should correct my last post. I called it a vellum paper they call it a Pergamano Parchment. It does not tear as easy as a vellum would when doing the embossing and such.

Joni Owens
08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Ok, I voted for the learn-a-thon, sounds like a great way to pick up some tips/techniques. August is very clear for me, probably because I haven't decided to join any of the a-thons (lol). I'm hoping to be able to participate - the last couple of CATS got interrupted by first one thing then another. So I'm definitely going to plan to hang around and see what everyone is doing and hopefully have something to contribute.

Linda4atc
08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Cool, I hope to see you Joni and any contribution to the weekend.

ArtsyLady
08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Kids start back to school on the 24...will be busy getting final things together, but will drop in as much as possible

Linda4atc
08-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Cool I hope you get a little time to do some leaning for yourself. :)

Linda4atc
08-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Here is the Link for the Aug 2009 Learn-a-thon (http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11670) Grab your Lessons and lets meet in the classroom... ;)

I'm ready to close this thread....