A Really Challenging Swap, Not for the Faint Hearted - Due April 2nd

crazycat

ATC Guru
Media
Due: April 2, 2008
# of cards: 3 for 3
Theme: Paper Tole, a lost art form of the 60s & 70s

The challenge for this swap is using the paper tole technique to create ATCs featuring images of owls, mushrooms, and Holly Hobbie [/COLOR]

Basic Guidelines:
  • ATCs must feature the paper layering technique known as paper tole (or, papertole). Some use of the technique must be evident. Adding stickers to an image does not count as paper tole. The basic project requires at least 5 copies of of an image, adhesive, and a sharp cutting tool.
  • ATCs are to be a standard 2.5 x 3.5, but should not be thicker than 1cm.
  • ATCs should be protected inside a plastic sleeve/envie.

Players: RECEIVED
    Crazycat
    Asena
    artpup
    Kathyy
    Bunnie
    VickyZ
    Esther

Mailing guidelines:

• Inside USA, please include self-addressed STAMPED envelope.
  • Outside the USA, please include an self-addressed envelope and I'll pay the postage.
  • PM me with questions

Last edited:
i'm curious about the tools needed--it says silicon glue. are there some brand names you know? and would diamond glaze work or would we need another medium?

I'm under 40 (barely), but I do remember these. I had 2 Holly Hobby plaques in my bedroom with this technique! :D

I have a question about this so I have it clear: That site has 5-layer images, but do these cards for your swap also need to be 5 layers, or could they be as few as 3 layers? Thanks!

Oooooo. This is so me!!! I remember them. Let me complete my other swaps before I sign up, though. I would rather not have to be a drop out. I will be looking for some good images in the meantime. Great theme idea!!!

do these cards for your swap also need to be 5 layers, or could they be as few as 3 layers?
Use as many layers as you'd like without making the ATC more than 1 cm thick. I've been playing around with different thicknesses of materials to go between the layers -- chipboard, thin cardboard, and 3D foam tape. Each results in (IMHO:unsure:) a final product that looks different.

Oooooo. This is so me!!! I remember them. Let me complete my other swaps before I sign up, though. I would rather not have to be a drop out. I will be looking for some good images in the meantime. Great theme idea!!!

Not a problem, just let me know if you'd like to play by March 15th.;)

Oh my. You girls go. I don't think I better get in on this even though I remember Holly Hobby and the Mushrooms. My mom had a set of Mushroom Canisters.

I'll look forward to what you guys come up with.

Deborah
(artworm)
Back to lurking

i do papertole too. i make cards, so those are my 3D cards.
hmmmm only nostalgic images of mushrooms, holly hobbie & owls.
That's challenging...
i will be back once i clear my plate.

oooh- I've made a few ATCs using this technique. Great fun- but they're absolute beggars to wrestle into the plastic sleeves afterwards. Well, mine are- but then again, I think they're just messing me about and having a laugh at my expense. You know what ATCs are like when they gang up on you!
I'm very tempted by this (I loved Holly Hobbie as a kid- I had a really cool sticker album and made all sorts of pictures with the doubles I had left over. Aaah, childhood!).
I'm going to have a nose around and see what I can uncover to play with- then I'll let you know if I'm in!
*scampers off to dive into goodies stashed away*

Well, I am not having any luck coming up with very good images for this. I found a couple that COULD work, but they are not the best. Is it just me, or is everyone else having a similar dilema?

I thought of maybe just drawing an image and scanning it. I am sure that I can draw some cute mushrooms. The few Holly Hobby images I found are bitmapped when I save them. She is the one that I really want to do. I could probably trace the bitmapped image and color in my tracing by hand and then scan it. Would that be OK?

I found which goes a bit more in depth about the process, for members who may not have seen these in the past. http://www.stampin.com/tips/tole.htm
Excellent! :jiggy: I had some trouble finding a good link that explained the technique.

Well, I am not having any luck coming up with very good images for this. I found a couple that COULD work, but they are not the best. Is it just me, or is everyone else having a similar dilema?
I thought of maybe just drawing an image and scanning it. I am sure that I can draw some cute mushrooms. The few Holly Hobby images I found are bitmapped when I save them. She is the one that I really want to do. I could probably trace the bitmapped image and color in my tracing by hand and then scan it. Would that be OK?

Ah Ha! See, I said it was a challenge! Woot! :laugh:

Can we use any Holly Hobbie image? sign me up PLEASE..

Feel free to use any images you want, as long as it falls within the guideline of owls, mushrooms, and Holly Hobbie. You can draw, paint, collage, or etch into walrus tusk, just as long as you follow the guidelines. :D

Back
Top Bottom