PDA

View Full Version : A Really Challenging Swap, Not for the Faint Hearted - Due April 2nd

crazycat
02-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Due: April 2, 2008
# of cards: 3 for 3
Theme: Paper Tole, a lost art form of the 60s & 70s

The challenge for this swap is using the paper tole technique to create ATCs featuring images of owls, mushrooms, and Holly Hobbie [/COLOR]

Basic Guidelines:
[LIST]
ATCs must feature the paper layering technique known as paper tole (or, papertole). Some use of the technique must be evident. Adding stickers to an image does not count as paper tole. The basic project requires at least 5 copies of of an image, adhesive, and a sharp cutting tool.

ATCs are to be a standard 2.5 x 3.5, but should not be thicker than 1cm.

ATCs should be protected inside a plastic sleeve/envie.

Players: RECEIVED
Crazycat
Asena
artpup
Kathyy
Bunnie
VickyZ
Esther

Mailing guidelines:

Inside USA, please include self-addressed STAMPED envelope.

Outside the USA, please include an self-addressed envelope and I'll pay the postage.

PM me with questions

kysunflower
02-21-2008, 08:23 AM
LOL, ok, I'm a little over 40, and I've never hear of it, LOL:huh:

SallyAnn
02-22-2008, 08:45 AM
May I please sign up?
Everything old is new again! :jiggy:

karen1015
02-22-2008, 10:06 AM
i'm curious about the tools needed--it says silicon glue. are there some brand names you know? and would diamond glaze work or would we need another medium?

crazycat
02-23-2008, 06:15 PM
i'm curious about the tools needed--it says silicon glue. are there some brand names you know? and would diamond glaze work or would we need another medium?

I use diamond glaze and it works just fine, so I recommend using it.

Asena
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm under 40 (barely), but I do remember these. I had 2 Holly Hobby plaques in my bedroom with this technique! :D

I have a question about this so I have it clear: That site has 5-layer images, but do these cards for your swap also need to be 5 layers, or could they be as few as 3 layers? Thanks!

stillatthetop
02-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Oooooo. This is so me!!! I remember them. Let me complete my other swaps before I sign up, though. I would rather not have to be a drop out. I will be looking for some good images in the meantime. Great theme idea!!!

crazycat
02-24-2008, 09:17 PM
do these cards for your swap also need to be 5 layers, or could they be as few as 3 layers? Use as many layers as you'd like without making the ATC more than 1 cm thick. I've been playing around with different thicknesses of materials to go between the layers -- chipboard, thin cardboard, and 3D foam tape. Each results in (IMHO:unsure:) a final product that looks different.

Oooooo. This is so me!!! I remember them. Let me complete my other swaps before I sign up, though. I would rather not have to be a drop out. I will be looking for some good images in the meantime. Great theme idea!!!

Not a problem, just let me know if you'd like to play by March 15th.;)

artworm
02-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Oh my. You girls go. I don't think I better get in on this even though I remember Holly Hobby and the Mushrooms. My mom had a set of Mushroom Canisters.

I'll look forward to what you guys come up with.

Deborah
(artworm)
Back to lurking

Asena
02-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I'd really like to give this a shot - add me to your list, please!

susietex
02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
This technique is shown on a certain Brit TV craft channel, hours a day every day, so you don't need to be over 40, just the owner of a TV!!!

stillatthetop
02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Hope I am not stepping on toes here. Sharing another link I found which goes a bit more in depth about the process, for members who may not have seen these in the past. http://www.stampin.com/tips/tole.htm

fingers
02-25-2008, 11:56 PM
i do papertole too. i make cards, so those are my 3D cards.
hmmmm only nostalgic images of mushrooms, holly hobbie & owls.
That's challenging...
i will be back once i clear my plate.

Frog Princess
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
oooh- I've made a few ATCs using this technique. Great fun- but they're absolute beggars to wrestle into the plastic sleeves afterwards. Well, mine are- but then again, I think they're just messing me about and having a laugh at my expense. You know what ATCs are like when they gang up on you!
I'm very tempted by this (I loved Holly Hobbie as a kid- I had a really cool sticker album and made all sorts of pictures with the doubles I had left over. Aaah, childhood!).
I'm going to have a nose around and see what I can uncover to play with- then I'll let you know if I'm in!
*scampers off to dive into goodies stashed away*

stillatthetop
02-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Well, I am not having any luck coming up with very good images for this. I found a couple that COULD work, but they are not the best. Is it just me, or is everyone else having a similar dilema?

Asena
02-27-2008, 08:55 AM
You're not alone.... I'm heading to a used bookshop today to scout.

Artpup
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I love it! my mother-in law use to do up the sweetest ones ever...
Can we use any Holly Hobbie image? sign me up PLEASE..
Renne

stillatthetop
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I thought of maybe just drawing an image and scanning it. I am sure that I can draw some cute mushrooms. The few Holly Hobby images I found are bitmapped when I save them. She is the one that I really want to do. I could probably trace the bitmapped image and color in my tracing by hand and then scan it. Would that be OK?

crazycat
02-28-2008, 10:12 AM
I found which goes a bit more in depth about the process, for members who may not have seen these in the past. http://www.stampin.com/tips/tole.htm Excellent! :jiggy: I had some trouble finding a good link that explained the technique.

Well, I am not having any luck coming up with very good images for this. I found a couple that COULD work, but they are not the best. Is it just me, or is everyone else having a similar dilema?
I thought of maybe just drawing an image and scanning it. I am sure that I can draw some cute mushrooms. The few Holly Hobby images I found are bitmapped when I save them. She is the one that I really want to do. I could probably trace the bitmapped image and color in my tracing by hand and then scan it. Would that be OK?

Ah Ha! See, I said it was a challenge! Woot! :laugh:

Can we use any Holly Hobbie image? sign me up PLEASE..

Feel free to use any images you want, as long as it falls within the guideline of owls, mushrooms, and Holly Hobbie. You can draw, paint, collage, or etch into walrus tusk, just as long as you follow the guidelines. :D

Asena
02-28-2008, 01:31 PM
or etch into walrus tusk, just as long as you follow the guidelines. :D

Oooh! Yeah, scrimshaw - that'd be cool! ;)

Bunnie
02-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I would love to give this a try. But I want to make sure it is ok that I use foam tape instead of the silicone glue? Glue and I do not get along. *nod* It's a long standing feud.

Bunnie
03-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Here are the links to the ones I did. Ok the carosel horse has more color than it shows. It looks washed out in the photo. I dont have a scanner so I took these with my cell phone camera. I tried to re-size them accordingly - but not sure they are the right size. I had to guess.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=3073
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=3072
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=3071

Bunnie
03-01-2008, 10:01 PM
No mine are not Holly Hobby. In the 70's there were a lot of the Holly Hobby's done in that paper technique. But I never cared for Holly Hobby myself, so I decided to use the paper technique with a completely differnt picture to see how it would look.

I just went back and reread the instructions and I "Now" see that is says it 'has' to be holly Hobby, owls or mushrooms. >.<

So I guess I have to start over.. >.< I guess I will be hunting mushrooms pictures

Here is what I remember Hollyl Hobby as from the 1970's http://www.maran-ata.net/minihearts/HH.htm

Lois
03-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I had THOUGHT that "Holly Hobby" was the name of a character that had a hat instead of a face and was very popular a while ago. But it turns out that Holly Hobby is the artist who created that character -- "Sun Bonnet Sue" -- and several others. (Many in her cartoons and books did show their faces; there were only a few who just had hats.)

Here are links to some of her faceless characters:

http://www.ssb6.net/users//20815/dscf0049_1187995334.jpg
http://i5.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/dd/a3/cd4d_1.JPG
http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d7/8e/7717_1.JPG
http://www.kometnet.com/ebay2968.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/3/8/3/4/2/webimg/106610549_tp.jpg
http://i3.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/bc/38/c47d_1.JPG

For this swap, do you mean any Holly Hobby creation? Or were you also thinking of "Sun Bonnet Sue" in particular?

Bunnie
03-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok So I missed that the swap had to be Holly Hobby, Owls or Mushrooms. So I started over. I have to say I really like this type of art! I find it fun way to be creative and artisitic without being able to draw! (My drawing leaves a bit to be desired...)

Still no scanner, used my cell phone camera. Mr. Frog looks a bit washed from the actual colors. Pixie doesnt really show all the layers in the photo. And Cat Pixie's glazing doesnt show up well. (one day I will master the art of Cell photography)

altermyworld
03-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I def would join however i don't have the images, i do have other paper tole kits. wondering why just those three images as paper tole encompasses many themes.
Ang

stillatthetop
03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Great links, guys. Thanks! I think the three themes are because they were the most popular to be remembered in the early 70's. You are correct, though. Tole encompassed a large variety of images. Remember the string art kits???? I still see some of those at yard sales from time to time. LOL. Dusty old things from the garage!

altermyworld
03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
LOL I thought the challenge was paper tole, all that fiddling is WORK, it pays off yes but its work .
I'll sit this one out.
Ang

LadyLanda
03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Bunnie, I love all the ATCS you made in this technique. My favorite is the dragon and the cat pixie. I think I'm going to have to try this technique on my own. Maybe I'll join (later), if there is still a little time after I experiment.

Very Cool!

crazycat
03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I want to make sure it is ok that I use foam tape instead of the silicone glue?
foam tape is fine

Ok So I missed that the swap had to be Holly Hobby, Owls or Mushrooms. So I started over. I have to say I really like this type of art! I find it fun way to be creative and artisitic without being able to draw! (My drawing leaves a bit to be desired...)

Still no scanner, used my cell phone camera. Mr. Frog looks a bit washed from the actual colors. Pixie doesnt really show all the layers in the photo. And Cat Pixie's glazing doesnt show up well. (one day I will master the art of Cell photography)
Bunnie these are all excellent

Remember the string art kits???? I still see some of those at yard sales from time to time. LOL. Dusty old things from the garage!

When I was thinking about hosting this swap I was going to make the subject artist's choice, but then I thought "What the heck! I'll raise the bar and make it more difficult." So often, when people think of the late 70s stuff, like disco and there is tons of other quirky, interesting stuff. Partly I wanted it to be a challenge and partly I wanted to reminisce about my childhood. My mom did her entire kitchen in avocado, burnt orange, and butter yellow. She had so many mushrooms, you'd have thought we lived in a swamp. ;) I had a Holly Hobbie dollie, paper doll, and a framed tole image (but we called them shadowboxes back then, didn't we?)

That was also a period with some pretty intense craft projects like string art (we spent a month doing 1 image!), macramé, and glass bottle cutting.

Asena
03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Bellydancebunny from the old site (has she turned up here??) did some amazing string art-looking cards. They looked just like those old things, but without the pins. :)

I worked on my shrooms this morning. I will print out and assemble them soon. Geez, I hope it works! Holy cats, crazycat - when you put forth a challenge, you don't mess around! :D

crazycat
03-09-2008, 10:04 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the results of this challenge. I hope everyone posts their pieces so I get to see them all, not just the three I am lucky enough to possess.

That's a great idea Kathyy!

Vicki Z
03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
I would like to sign up for this swap.
I remember tole art. We had a whole section in the crafts division at the State Fair for tole art, and I spent a bunch or time there, being amazed at the work that was on display.
I don't much care for Holly Hobby, but I love mushrooms and owls, so I would like to be included, please.

Artpup
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi
I bought one of the glazing gells used on a link and it seems a couple of my layers don't have any space between them any help?????????

Asena
03-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Got mine finished this evening, and mailing out tomorrow!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=5254&w=l

I scanned them after I wrestled them into sleeves, so there's a little bit of glare from that.

Vicki Z
03-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Ohhhh, these are spectacular mushrooms. This swap is turning out some swesome art.

Bunnie
03-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh! those are gorgeous Asena!

Asena
03-16-2008, 03:23 PM
:) Thanks, ladies!

crazycat
03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
PLAYERS:jimlad: POSTED!

Vicki Z
03-17-2008, 02:37 PM
My cards are done.
Please send my your address

Artpup
03-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Wow I am having a really hard time letting these go lol
The owls are from an old postage stamp...

Bunnie
03-27-2008, 12:25 PM
I need your address too! I need to mail mine to you

CattyCat
03-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Wow, I wish I'd seen this before. I love doing this. Oh well I'll just do it and put them out for trade. I used to do this back in the 70s in my hippy days. :yes:

Vicki Z
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Have you received my cards yet? I sent them on the 20th, and it usually doesn't take this long to get to Indiana. Please let me know. Thanks

crazycat
04-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry Vickie, I've been busy and didn't have time to update the list. Yes, I have your cards and they are EXCELLENT!

I must say, the cards for this swap are all exceptionally fine and I'd keep them all if I had time to make enough swaps.:DMaybe this is a good time to ditch and run off to some warm, beachy place. :laugh:

Asena
04-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Maybe this is a good time to ditch and run off to some warm, beachy place. :laugh:

Maui is lovely!

PSST! Take me with you, and I'll never give up your location! ;)

crazycat
04-02-2008, 12:29 PM
*bump*

Between today (Wednesday) and Friday, I'll be posting players iTrader ratings for this swap. :laugh: Returns will go out Saturday.

For those of you new to using iTrader... you'll want to take a look at this FAQ (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/faq.php?faq=itrader#faq_itrader_how)

As a player, you are only giving feedback about me as a host -- I recommend you do that after you've received your returns.:laugh:

If you'd like to thank the players who made the cards you received, then I suggest you send them a PM or use the 'rep' button.

crazycat
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
All the chickens are home to roost...

WOW!

I have to say, this may be the most difficult swap I've ever hosted. I created six ATCs for this trade (so I could have one from each of you) and now I'm thinking that won't be enough. I want them ALL! These are the best cards EVER!

Asena
04-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I received my cards today! Thanks so much, crazycat, for hosting, and for the card I received from you. I also got cards from VickiZ (Harvest Gold mushrooms :D ) and from Artpup!

Vicki Z
04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
What a wonderful swap! I got my returns today. Thanks to Kathyy, Esther, and to crazycat herself. Thanks for hosting a great swap. I had forgotten how much fun tole art is.

crazycat
04-11-2008, 02:24 AM
This has been a great first swap to be involved in, I have a habit of going for the more difficult first, and I will certainly look at doing others later.

Now you'll need to change your tag line from 'Newb' to "Queen of Tole Arts" :D

Vicki Z
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey, I disagree! I got one of your cards in this swap, and I LOVE it.
If you are not comfortable being Queen (Elizabeth might not sanction it)
Maybe you could be Dutchess of Tole Arts???

Asena
04-11-2008, 12:34 PM
COUNTESS! I've always liked the sound of "countess" - unless you prefer "contessa!" ;) Or maybe Tsarina of Tole Arts - it doesn't alliterate, but it does have kind of a flow to it.

Vicki Z
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Now I LIKE that - Tsarina of Tole.
Hey Esther, don't you just LOVE the way we take over for you?

crazycat
04-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Hmmm...great outfit, but I'm wondering why the opera house is selling off it's wardrobe. In need of funding, perhaps?;)

Asena
04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
my four year old straight away ask is that who made it when he saw it.

:D I'm glad you like it! My plan is to (eventually) have so many of my art cards traded out there, that complete strangers walk up to me and introduce themselves! :twitcy: (I think I have a ways to go yet...)

crazycat
04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
:D I'm glad you like it! My plan is to (eventually) have so many of my art cards traded out there, that complete strangers walk up to me and introduce themselves! :twitcy: (I think I have a ways to go yet...)

Are you numbering your cards as you go? I didn't do that the first two years I traded, but now I do. It's handy when someone says "Oh, I have one of your cards." Then I can say, "Really? What number is on the back" and I'll know. Some of my stuff is one-offs, but occasionally I do a series using the same graphics so it doesn't help me for someone to say, "I have Emily Dickinson with bat wings." :nah: