PDA

View Full Version : Learn-A-Thon ... Aug 21-23

Linda4atc
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
NOON Friday Aug 21 to Midnight Sunday Aug 23
We are all in different time zones so these times are very flexible.

ALSO This Weekend is the Goodie-a-thon
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=510838#post510838

Some of you may want to try learn some new background techniques and trade them at the GAT.

The goal here is not trading but learning, so feel free to work with whatever size you want. I may work in a sketchbook. This said if you do wish to trade with someone that is totally up to the two of you..

:v_spin:General goals

1) To use those How to Draw books most of us have sitting around collecting dust.
2) To do the lessons and to get lots of practice.
3) To practice, practice, have fun and practice.

:policeman:Rules

1) Have Fun and Learn
2) Use lessons from any book or even an online site to study from.
3) Optional … Share what you are working on
4) We can all encourage each other not to give up. To have fun and to try to stretch our abilities….

:geek: Any Questions just ask!
2008 Learn-a-thon (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4765)

Linda4atc
08-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Ok all ready for you all to come gather in the classroom ;)

goatgoddess
08-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I hope to play a bit - got a busy weekend coming up but that is every weekend here lately <G>

hayward_cs
08-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Does it have to be drawing, Linda? Or can we 'learn' anything?

Linda4atc
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Does it have to be drawing, Linda? Or can we 'learn' anything?

ANYTHING you want to learn or try to perfect with practice this weekend.:D Just grab your lesson and supplies get to work, and share with us. In this way we may all learn something or just be inspired by your efforts!

VintageGlimmers
08-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend! I've been wanting to try combining some techniques for backgrounds and this will be the perfect time to test them out. :jiggy:

hayward_cs
08-20-2009, 06:07 PM
ANYTHING you want to learn or try to perfect with practice this weekend.:D Just grab your lesson and supplies get to work, and share with us. In this way we may all learn something or just be inspired by your efforts!
Oh, good :D Sign me up then, 'cuz I bought a book and some supplies this weekend and am just aching to try them out. :yes:

Linda4atc
08-20-2009, 07:48 PM
There is no signing up. The classroom will be open till midnight Sunday west coast time. I'm very flexible here so drop in and share anytime!!!!

Linda4atc
08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend! I've been wanting to try combining some techniques for backgrounds and this will be the perfect time to test them out. :jiggy:

Awsome Lisa if you make extras the backgrounds would be a cool thing to trade at the Goodies-a-thon if you wish to....

Linda4atc
08-20-2009, 07:58 PM
I did pick up my Pergamano stuff while in Eureka, but I haven't decided what I wish to work on......

Donnacr
08-20-2009, 09:12 PM
This is what I get for not reading the fine print - the last A-thon I was in started at 5pm so I have warned the husband that he is on his own for the weekend (while feeding me) but only cleared Friday from 5pm. 5 hours lost!! :arghh: maybe I can sneak home early to start learning hmmmmm :nah:

Linda4atc
08-20-2009, 09:39 PM
:laugh: I always hate waiting till 5pm so I made it earlier. In truth you can start anytime you can fit it into your schedule. ;)

Joni Owens
08-21-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't know how much I can contribute but I am looking forward to picking up a lot of helpful ideas this weekend. Most of my techniques are still very remedial.

VintageGlimmers
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm working on a couple of different things and the hardest part is waiting for the paint to dry so I can do the next step. :skeptical:

So far I've got:
1. a peeled paint technique with petroleum jelly from Claudine Helmuth's book. Waiting for the paint to dry. I'm curious to see how it turns out since the background I painted over was a previous failed attempt at seekingforart's melted crayon technique. :twitcy:
2. a modeling texture paste on corrugated cardboard. I want to try my Colorwash dyes on that when it dries. I've been obsessed lately with corrugated cardboard.

hayward_cs
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
HURRAY!! I only have 1 more hour and I can start :D

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Well I have done both of these before and I'm not totally happy with what I got but yesterday I used my colorwash sprays on a bunch of dictionary pages. I used an older dictionary and the colors came out very dark, I tried spritzing with water to lighten them.
The first time I did this I loved the results, but I haven't been able to repeat it. I wonder if I used a newer book the paper may hold the color differently?

I also did the citra solve on national geographics yesterday. I have them drying and none of them wowed me. I went ahead and did another book this morning. It takes time. The directions I had said an hour, but I still most of the photo at an hour so I left the other two over night. The big bottle of citra solve I purchased was 15 dollars and it is already 3/4's gone. I don't think I'll do this again after the citra solve is gone.

I may try to trade some of this over at the GAT tomorrow if they turn out good enough.

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 01:56 PM
31500 31501 31502 31503I left all the papers to dry over at my studio. I then gathered up several of my art lesson books and brought them over here to the house trailer where I have my computer. These are all books I may work from, depending what my muse is attracted to....

31504 This is the one I worked from at the last LAT and should continue.... I think there was free lessons online by the same author.

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
31505And in this magazine is something called cloth paper. I made some and used it for atc backgrounds. It is really cool... If any wants to try that this weekend.

chatty
08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
So how do you make it?

I gotta subscribe to that magazine I keep meaning too then get side track....

hayward_cs
08-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Okay, so I pulled out my 'Friendly Plastic 101' book and am getting ready to try and melt stuff like it shows. Hopefully, this will go well LOL If not, well, it was nice knowin' ya. ROFL

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 02:30 PM
The instructions are in the Cloth Paper scissors magazine. They made Fruit and vegetable shaped pillows out of it. I used a nuetral color they used red, green etc.

Make it by diluting white glue or a gel medium, it will look like milk. Use a paint brush (1") to paint the glue on a piece of fabric maybe what they call a "quilters fat quarter" which is a 1/4-yard of fabric but they cut a 1/2 yard accross the bolt (36") then cut that half yard in half at the fold in the fabric so it ends up being approx 18"x22".

You brush the glue on with the paint brush and layer all kinds of strips of tissue paper, text book pages, atlas pages, fancy napkin papers etc. brushing with the diluted glue as needed

It is a good idea to tear a bunch of paper strips ahead of time but if you are like me you will find yourself tearing more for just the right piece. Remember even though you are working with a large piece of fabric you will be cutting it into small pieces. so take that into mind when doing your layers.

They used freezer paper, I slid a large piece of cardboard (a flattened out box) inside a plastic trashbag to work on, and it was easy to move somewhere else to let it dry. You can paint the last layer with a diluted accrylic paint or do as I did ant just add a bit of paint to the leftover glue for the last layer.

VintageGlimmers
08-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Oh - the fabric paper is AWESOME!!!! That's one of my favorite techniques ever.

Linda - my experience with the colorwashes is the same as yours. The older papers will take the dyes differently than newer, whiter papers will. It looks fabulous on cream-colored tags and file folders. For vibrant colors, make sure your paper is spritzed with water first then spray the colorwash. If you don't wet the paper with water first you'll get very dark coverage. For really pale tones, spray the colorwash on a non-stick craft sheet and dilute it with water and then you can paint it on your paper or drag your paper through it on the sheet. Colorwash is extremely versatile and one of my favorite mediums. Mix some Perfect Pearls into it and you've got homemade Glimmer Mist too.

Ibus
08-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Duh! I forgot it was Friday today :rolleyes:

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Oh - the fabric paper is AWESOME!!!! That's one of my favorite techniques ever.

Linda - my experience with the colorwashes is the same as yours. The older papers will take the dyes differently than newer, whiter papers will. It looks fabulous on cream-colored tags and file folders. For vibrant colors, make sure your paper is spritzed with water first then spray the colorwash. If you don't wet the paper with water first you'll get very dark coverage. For really pale tones, spray the colorwash on a non-stick craft sheet and dilute it with water and then you can paint it on your paper or drag your paper through it on the sheet. Colorwash is extremely versatile and one of my favorite mediums. Mix some Perfect Pearls into it and you've got homemade Glimmer Mist too.

That is so cool! I will have to try it again. I think they said it can be used on fabric to, I wonder if it is permanent? I could use it to cover stains on my clothes,,, :laugh:

sniisk
08-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I try to learn something new about rubber stamping this weekend but I don't think I will have much to share here.

hayward_cs
08-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Waiting for plastic to cool is like watching grass grow. What do you suppose would happen if I stuck it in the freezer? LOL (Patience is obviously NOT one of my strong suits)

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Don't worry sniisk (and the rest of you). Go ahead and share what you are doing. The learn-a-thon is more about improving your own art. It is fun to share, we are all going to be working on different things at our own pace. You don't have to feel that you are teaching something, just tha you yourself are learning. ;)

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 03:10 PM
LOL Hayward, I worked with Friendly Plastic about 22 years ago, before my son was born. I think it may have been a brand new product back then, but I could be wrong. :laugh: My ex husband was Jewish and when I set up a tree he jokinly called it a Chanukkah Bush so I made a Star of David Christmas Tree Topper.

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd love to see what you are making...

Are you working with the flat sheet type pieces or the friendly plastic pellets? All I ever see in the stores now is the little flat things, and they are even hard to find.

sniisk
08-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh, and forgot to say, I'll try to make some embellishments by useing Fimo. Let's see what happens...

hayward_cs
08-21-2009, 03:15 PM
LOL Hayward, I worked with Friendly Plastic about 22 years ago, before my son was born. I think it may have been a brand new product back then, but I could be wrong. :laugh: My ex husband was Jewish and when I set up a tree he jokinly called it a Chanukkah Bush so I made a Star of David Christmas Tree Topper.

Friendly Plastic has been around *forever*. It went away, and then it came back (and then probably went away and came back again LOL) I saw some at Hobby Lobby and then came home to google it, thought it looked pretty neat so I went back and bought some and a book. (I do stuff like that. LOL) Now I just have to figure out how it works and try not to burn my house down while doing it LOL

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 03:45 PM
I have some really pretty handmade earings I think are made with friendly plastic sheets with the metalic layer on them. Oneis a poinsetta I think the pieces were pressed with a mold of some kind to make viens in leaves and such.

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 03:50 PM
IF I dissapper this weekend it will be because I lost my internet access. It started acting up yesterday and seemed better last night but has shut down on me three or four times today. I am hopeing it is just a poor signal strenth right now, and not that my wireless card is going bad and will need to be replaced. But when it goes out I can't just reconnect because a box pops up saying it is already running and I cannont disconnect either. I even tried just unplugging the wireless card, didn't help, I have to reboot the whole computer to reset it.

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I hate computers! LOL Going to go work on some learning. I will be shutting off the computer and generator. Be back later. Have fun ...

Dadreemer
08-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Friendly Plastic has been around *forever*. It went away, and then it came back (and then probably went away and came back again LOL) I saw some at Hobby Lobby and then came home to google it, thought it looked pretty neat so I went back and bought some and a book. (I do stuff like that. LOL) Now I just have to figure out how it works and try not to burn my house down while doing it LOL

I go to The Art Of Friendly Plastic (http://friendlyplastic.blogspot.com/) a lot for ideas and inspiration. Hope it helps.

Not sure if I'll get around to playing here...working on getting pics for GAT2.

Gerry
08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
I bought one of those melting pots that you use with utee thick embossing powder a few weeks back and havent got round to playing with it yet, so might give it a go tomorrow. I have some puzzle pieces and some cutters that I borrowed to have a go with. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow. Has anyone got any tips? been looking on you tube there's a few short videos on there.

Jean
08-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I am not sure what to work on. I am tempted to spend the whole time on noses!! I can't do noses for anything...hands about as bad! If I am going to work on something to learn from...I prolly agonize more over noses and hands than anything else!

What do you do with fabric paper?

hayward_cs
08-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Linda, I am using the strips. They sell a pretty decent selection of them at the Hobby Lobby in Springfield (about 40 min away from me) but I didn't see any pellets. I'll have to ask them about it the next time I go in. :yes:

Dadreemer, thanks so much for the Link :D I went there this afternoon to do 'research', and spent an hour and a half just looking at stuff LOL It's a very informative site. :yes:

A small update, I have a piece that I have been messing around with that is drying. I managed to burn the palm of my hand fooling around with the hot plastic (not badly. :) ) And I intend to post step by step pics of the whole process on my blog at some point so that the whole world can see my first adventure into the world of Friendly Plastic. (Seriously though, this stuff stunk up my house. It smelled like a plastic factory for a while this afternoon LOL It does say on the label that it is non-toxic, so I am hoping that no one grows a third arm from the fumes or anything.)

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Jean working on hands and noses sounds good to me ... I took a nap instead of working on my lessons. How about a challenge? ... say 5 noses and 3 hands?

Fabric paper makes a good mixed media type background for atc's, rolos etc. In the magazine they made big pieces and used it for vegetable shaped pillows. I used a quilters fat quarter to make mine. It is a good size to cut up and use for my backgrounds,

Linda4atc
08-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Ouch haywardbe carefull with that stuff. Burns are not a good part of learning. I really want to see what you make.

hayward_cs
08-21-2009, 07:45 PM
LOL All in good time. It isn't going to be impressive or anything, I'm just fooling around right now. I am hoping to make a bracelet for my dd using one of the techiniques in the book though. Hopefully that will go well.

Thorn
08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
OMG, I love friendly plastic! I made all kinds of stuff with it back when I was in hight school (around the time it first came out.) My friend and I used to take old mayonnaise jars and decorate the lids with it (and other doo dads) to make home-made cannisters. I still have some of them around!

Tamrantula
08-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Whoo hoo--looks like fun is being had around here!

I just did a simple thing, that I have been wanting to try for ages....made some shaving cream/food coloring backgrounds!

We have an in-person swap tomorrow, and I need to make about 15 cards...."some like it hot" is the theme...so, I want to do some with reds and yellows--then, put some dragons or something on them.

All I had to experiment with was blue and green!

Ooh--while I was posting that...hubby got home with more colors...so, I just did three pages of red/yellow/orange backgrounds!
They turned out pretty!

Donnacr
08-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Just thought that I would show you all my first foray into Pergamano - I can see all the mistakes but it has potential. LOL
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/1_atc221.jpg

Donnacr
08-21-2009, 10:27 PM
I like the sound of those backgrounds Tamrantula - how do you do them? I just have this image of coloured shaving cream glugging on my card - NOT a pretty sight.
I've never heard of firendly plastic - what does it do?

Dadreemer
08-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I go to The Art Of Friendly Plastic (http://friendlyplastic.blogspot.com/) a lot for ideas and inspiration. Hope it helps.

Not sure if I'll get around to playing here...working on getting pics for GAT2.

I like the sound of those backgrounds Tamrantula - how do you do them? I just have this image of coloured shaving cream glugging on my card - NOT a pretty sight.
I've never heard of firendly plastic - what does it do?

Donnacr, the link up top has a lot going on about the stuff. You can also Google Friendly Plastic tutorial too.

Tamrantula
08-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I just took a shallow cookie sheet with sides.....put some shaving cream in the bottom and dripped some food coloring in it.

Then, I put a piece of paper on top and kind of squished it around! Pulled it out, and then used a knife to take extra shaving cream off...then, layed the paper on a paper towel and used another paper towel to wipe the last bits of shaving cream away...and ta dah!

Here are a couple pics...the blue/green and the red/yellow

Dadreemer
08-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Groovy swirls there.

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 12:11 AM
LOL looks Fun Tam! Donna very nice. There used to be a site that had free Pergamano patterns but my computer never seemed to print them the correct size and sometimes distorted the shape. One I really wanted to do was a spider web with Dandelions and a spider. It will have to be redrawn or reshaped with some computer work because it printed out tall and thin very distorted.

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Last week I booked a 4 day cruise for my son and I. I tried to go online to do the preregistration and found out two things. I need to upload AdobeReader that I think finally installed, took almost an hour. And second they had my sons last name the same as mine which is incorrect. I was just charged $50 to correct it because I had booked with a special. But they are going to listen to the recording and see if they can figure how it happened and I may get creddited back or something. Sigh ....

hayward_cs
08-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Alright, after about an hour of fiddling around with it, I finally have something posted up on my blog. :D (The link is in my siggie ;) )

I did make a couple of other things just fooling around and trying stuff (a bead, a square with glitter, and a square with a paper flower in it.) But I didn't show those.
The plastic was cool, but the whole process took forever. I am thinking that it would be feasible if I were to make one single thing (like a pendant or something) at a time. There wouldn't be so much melting-cooling-melting-cooling and waiting.
I am going to try something different tomorrow. ;)

Donnacr
08-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Tam - those sheets look like great background cards (and it sounds like a lot of fun too)
Dadreemer - i just tried to go to the site you recommended and discovered it was a blogspot - China has ALL of those blocked Ah, well. . . I'll google it instead and see what I can find
Linda - cruises are fantastic (how long is yours?) but getting all the details right can be quite a pain. My daughter and her boyfriend had paid a deposit for a cruise and had all details confirmed then received an email to say that someone had booked the ENTIRE cruise and so they had been bumped - which of course, meant THEY had to pay extra money even though they hadn't made the change (the only option for them was a more expensive cruise as they are on a fairly tight timeline for their trip) Hope all your problems sort out without any more money - and you get the refund!

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 04:25 AM
Yes, I booked this late at night. For some reason my internet works better at night. I don't know if I said his name was Wood(same as mine) or if I just gave his first name and she filled in with my last name or if I gave his correct name and she goofed, I think the last case is the only way I'll get anything back. Also I do not check my e-mails often, so I didn't look at the confirmation e-mail with the incorrect name till several days later. This seemed to bother them. But I called my son the day after booking to get his passport info and he was out of town so I just figured I had to wait for his info to do anything and that was today.

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Now I have another problem. I hit print when I first went into the documents. It started printing 13 pages and stuff with the wrong name so I canceled the print and tore up what I printed. NOW I can't get it to print that stuff and I need some of it like the luggage tags... Sigh I hate computers... LOL

I feel like hayward hours of work for so little to show. It took me hours to fill out all the info. Got that done but then I spent another hour trying to get back to where I had printed that info... I'm going to have to call them tomorrow.

LuvLoz
08-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Linda - I have that how-to-draw-fairies book! Sorry that the cruise is causing you so many hassles. Don't the staff know it's cutting in to your learning time? :)

Well, I didn't even know this was on this weekend but I did try out a new technique that amyfaerie had on her blog - wet paper towel. I'll have to take some photos and show you what I created.

Jean
08-22-2009, 10:47 AM
So far I have drawn a nose...It will be for a monochromatic woman, but it doens't look too bad, lolol. I will be uploading a scan when I finish.

Love the paper - I have never tried the shaving cream technique but love the way it comes out.

I tried friendly plastic way back when it was rather new, lol - dating myself here. I found it tough to work with and eventually sold the remainder at a garage sale, lol.

VintageGlimmers
08-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Donna - your pergamano looks great! I used to see a woman do the most wonderful projects on the Carol Duvall show. It's so pretty.

Tam - love those backgrounds. They will be a perfect setting for some dragons.

Here's what I worked on yesterday. Not sure if I'll have time to play today.

1. The peeling paint technique was fun and I'll surely do this more especially on leftover backgrounds:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/LisaD9999/IMG_2735_edited-1_web.jpg

2. Modeling paste on corrugated cardboard. I wanted to use my Colorwash dyes but I couldn't find where I had packed them away so I just used some acrylic paints and a bit of glimmer mist. Totally fun and I wish I made bigger pieces.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/LisaD9999/IMG_2732_edited-1_web.jpg http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/LisaD9999/IMG_2733_edited-1_web.jpg

Tamrantula
08-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Oooh--pretty! Is the white design rubber stamped with paint?

I have seen that look before, but didn't know how it was made!

And....what is a peeling paint technique? It looks cool!

Tamrantula
08-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I have 10 dragon cards made with the backgrounds I did yesterday...taking a short break before I finish the other 5....then, I will post a pic! I think they turned out pretty good! Not super fancy, but good for what I need them for!

Tamrantula
08-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Ok--here are the dragon cards--I may still do some kind of border, if I have time!

I rubber stamped asian text, then used some punchinella as a stencil...then addded image and words...then, beeswax over the top.

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Wow you al have been so busy. I have my cruise stuff all set now. I am so slow at this stuff. Your Hot Dragon cards are great Tamrantula.

I love those backgrounds Lisa. I just love all the colors and textures!

Love to see your wet paper towel Luvloz.

Jean you got more done than I did. I sat down to draw noses and hands but my muse pushed me to sketch out a card for a swap instead.

sniisk
08-22-2009, 02:04 PM
OK, I haven't even started the stamping yet (it's 9 pm here) but there is Fimo clay everywhere... I'll continue my clay project tomorow. I didn't find many interesting instructions (you can give me some links if you know good ones) but I made little old fashion telephone to my doll house :).

complicious
08-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I haven't learned anything yet this weekend! LOL. I thought I'd get to some art by now (Sat. afternoon), but I haven't so far; perhaps tonight. I'll post anything I come up with; my goal is to do some drawing and mixed media assignments from the Whimsey Art II workshop. The work you've been doing is great. And I second the request for info about the 'peeled paint' background--super cool!

VintageGlimmers
08-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks you guys. Tam - those dragon cards look wonderful on those backgrounds. I'd love to see the paper towel work also Luvloz. I'm always looking to learn new background techniques.

The peeled paint technique I learned from Claudine Helmuth's book "Collage Discovery Workshop". You paint your collage base with acrylic and let it dry, then seal with gel medium. (In mine I used a background that I wasn't thrilled with from a different technique - lol). Then you smear on petroleum jelly and rub it on here and there. Since the jelly is a resist for the paint, wherever you put the jelly, the next coat of paint will peel off and the background will show through. Next you paint over the surface again with gloppy acrylics. Let it dry and then wipe over the whole thing with a paper towel. The paint will come off where the jelly is. Finally, use a baby wipe to get rid of any petroluem jelly residue.

It's a bit messy but fun. The main thing I learned is you'll get different kinds of effects depending on how thick you apply the jelly. Also, since I'm impatient I tried to speed up the drying process with my heat tool but all that seemed to do was melt the jelly and make a mess. :rolleyes:

Jean
08-22-2009, 03:46 PM
?$<%$<^"$?<^?<%

*deep breath* I'm learning poop all, is what I'm learning, argh. I have spent all afternoon working on noses and I am so tired of working.

I have decided to work on learning to be freer with colour. Everything I do is pastel and careful and labored...I am throwing caution to the winds for the next hour or two and just slapping colour around. I'll scan later....

(loving the papers!!! I may try that petroleum technique...have filed that one away!)

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/2_My_Art_002.jpg I really need to learn to draw from real people not just from other sketches or pictures, and do it good enough to be recognizable. :laugh:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/3_My_Art_001.jpg And I need LOTS of practice on hands. They are one of the hards things for me to draw.

RobbyGirl
08-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Ummmm if it's not too late to drop in, I just got a new book on The Art of Chinese Brush Painting. I don't have the actual Ink Stick and Ink Stone yet but I imagine I can work with my regular watercolors while I learn this weekend...Okay if I join in?

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 03:58 PM
hmmm don't thingk I have any vaseline. May have to get some to try that. I have also been thinking about Just Ducky's Paint bucket technique. She lines a bucket with a plastic trash bag, fills it with water. Then sprays paints om the surface of the water and dips papers into it. Then she hangs them from the edge of a big piece of cardboard box to drip dry.

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Welcome RobbyGirl the class is open to all and more fun with more people!!!

Ibus
08-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I haven't 'learnt' anything from a book, but today I did receive some backgrounds from Teri done with the melted crayon technique done on printed paper. So I've been playing with that today and doing tape transfers.

Jean
08-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Aw, Linda -those are GREAT! *looking at misshapen noses* All mine look like prizefighters.

Joni Owens
08-22-2009, 05:12 PM
The "Ducky Paint Bucket Technique" sounds like fun, esp. on a hot day. I have a makeshift clothes line of twine around the perimeter of the back porch to hang drying backgrounds like that. Hey Linda, is the citrasolv (can't find this stuff around here) technique giving you the same results as turpentine washes on mag. pages or Never Dull? Got to try the painted, altered fabric technique. OMG, I haven't come up with anything interesting to contribute but all of you are giving me tons of ideas to play with in the coming weeks.

hayward_cs
08-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I think that I am going to do some more research and then *attempt* to make a fabric card. That will be my 'project' for today :D

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes the Citra solve is the same as the terpentine but smells better and is probably safer. Although the price of the CitraSolve makes me wonder about using terpentine instead...

I found mine at the Co-Op Grocery which has a lot of Organic and Healthy type stuff.

Joni Owens
08-22-2009, 05:31 PM
That's one thing I wish we had here, a Co-Op Grocery. There's something similar in Greenville (34 miles away or so) but I never make it over there. I have to promise to do the turp. paper outside and I leave it hanging around the porch for days and then Febreeze it before I bring it in (keeps son happy).

egod
08-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Oops! I forgot. I've been working on using my Twinkling H20s on some cards. I'll bring them over from my gallery.
Would only let me bring one. I used underpainting of orange brush tip pens, then coated with Gold H20s. On the net type swag, I painted the gold on top of the orange, then blotted with a piece of plastic nettings. I'm also learning to make the tintype photo cards this weekend for another swap. I'll post those later. Tomorrow, I will try to learn something new from a book or the internet! I'm enjoying your postings.

egod
08-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I love those, Vintage Glimmers. I've been admiring a local artist that paints sheets of cardboard in different colers, tears them up, and recombines them to make mosaic portraits or other things--landscapes, etc. You might like to try that too. The pieces she uses are about rough 2x2's.

Ibus
08-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes the Citra solve is the same as the terpentine but smells better and is probably safer. Although the price of the CitraSolve makes me wonder about using terpentine instead...

I couldn't find Citrasolv here and so experimented with just orange oil. You have to be very generous, but it does work.

Jean
08-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I was thinking about using Vicks VapoRub in place of petroleum jelly for that peeled paint technique but I am not sure where my acrylics are.

I did a slapping-paint vase and a couple I would be embarrassed to show anyone, lol.

Ibus
08-22-2009, 06:45 PM
What do you think? Be honest!! :twitcy:

31619 31620 31621 31622 31623

Ibus
08-22-2009, 06:47 PM
And this effort. :unsure:

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I am so happy you all are enjoying this Learn-a-thon. I did some hair practice but I think I need a little nap. I'm having trouble staying focussed now.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/2_My_Art_003.jpg

Jean
08-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I think they are lovely, Ibus!

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 06:53 PM
They are very pretty Ibus, I liove the purple one with the lady! Are they the melted crayon technique? I still haven't done that.

Dadreemer
08-22-2009, 06:57 PM
honestly Ibus....those cards are fantastic!

hair, nose, Citrasolv, freindly plastic, twinklingH2-0's, and the like. you all have been doing so well!

Ibus
08-22-2009, 07:03 PM
They are very pretty Ibus, I liove the purple one with the lady! Are they the melted crayon technique? I still haven't done that.

Yes they are, but instead of doing it on card as Seekingforart says in her tutorial, I used sheet music, Chinese script and Germanic script.

Ibus
08-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I am so happy you all are enjoying this Learn-a-thon. I did some hair practice but I think I need a little nap. I'm having trouble staying focussed now.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/2_My_Art_003.jpg

OOh Linda your little 'man? troll?' takes me back, we used to draw that kind of thing when we were in school .... far more years ago than I care to admit to!! :twitcy:

RobbyGirl
08-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Well here are my attempts with Chinese Water Colors. My brush strokes still need a lot of work and it would help if I had the right brushes...but all in all I think they're pretty cute and recognizable.

RobbyGirl
08-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Love the guy with the big nose peeping out of his hair Linda. Feel Better Ibus. Love the butterfly with the asian writing!

Ibus
08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
They're lovely Robby, I particularily like the cat!

Joni Owens
08-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Beautiful cards Ibus!!! Robbygirl I love the Chinese paintings. I have a book and the painting instruments (somewhere) but I've never had a chance to try it. Those look really great. I'm not going to accomplish much tonight - football is on (lol). Even if it is preseason, I'm sofa bound.

egod
08-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Nice cat! Love his position. These are very nice, especially without the brushes which is difficult, I would think.

hayward_cs
08-22-2009, 09:10 PM
It looks like everyone has been having so much fun without me whilst I have been SLAVING away over these fabric cards. (WTH didn't anyone tell me that they were so freakin' hard?!?!?! LOL) MAD PROPS to all of you that manage to make the darn things so well, 'cuz I have wanted to throw mine across the room many, many times in the HOURS it has taken me.

And they still AREN'T DONE!! LOL

Pray that I don't stab myself too many times during the hand sewing part, okay.

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 09:20 PM
OOh Linda your little 'man? troll?' takes me back, we used to draw that kind of thing when we were in school .... far more years ago than I care to admit to!! :twitcy: :laugh: they are just images from the Idiot's Guide to Drawing People (hair) lessons, But I added the arms and feet on the one guy.

Well here are my attempts with Chinese Water Colors. My brush strokes still need a lot of work and it would help if I had the right brushes...but all in all I think there pretty cute and recognizable. Very Cool, I agree the kitty is in an intresting pose, love it.

It looks like everyone has been having so much fun without me whilst I have been SLAVING away over these fabric cards. (WTH didn't anyone tell me that they were so freakin' hard?!?!?! LOL) MAD PROPS to all of you that manage to make the darn things so well, 'cuz I have wanted to throw mine across the room many, many times in the HOURS it has taken me.

And they still AREN'T DONE!! LOL

Pray that I don't stab myself too many times during the hand sewing part, okay.

Ohhh hun, sorry they are not going as planned. I used to quilt and cross stitch but I have pretty much stayed with paper art for my atc's except for some applique hearts I had made with a charm quilt in mind, I turned them into atc's a couple years ago.

hayward_cs
08-22-2009, 09:24 PM
........Ohhh hun, sorry they are not going as planned. I used to quilt and cross stitch but I have pretty much stayed with paper art for my atc's except for some applique hearts I had made with a charm quilt in mind, I turned them into atc's a couple years ago.

It is just something completely different than I am used to, that's all. Stitching up ATC's is a whole different ballgame from Children's clothing LOL
I *am* guessing, however, that that would be the point of this whole weekend, right? To break out of the box and learn something new. I am loving it! Well, parts of it at least LOL

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 09:27 PM
:laugh: ok then that is a good thing. ;)

Linda4atc
08-22-2009, 09:31 PM
I was going to take a nap earlier and Chatty called just as I shutting down the generator. We talked for about an hour and a half! LOL I'm awake now but still yawning, so I will probably not have a late night tonight.

Going to make some coffee :)

hayward_cs
08-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm going to my parents house for a couple of hours, so the cards likely won't be finished until tomorrow sometime LOL I promise to post them to my gallery for the world to marvel over once they are done. Then I will encase them in glass, and they shall be forever remembered as my one and only go at fabric ATCs. ROFL

egod
08-22-2009, 11:55 PM
I learned a lot tonight: don't try to learn anything new while your husband works on your malfunctioning computer. AARG! Maybe tomorrow!

RobbyGirl
08-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Good Night Ladies, enjoyed learning with you today!

Thorn
08-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Well, poo. Looks like I'm not going to be able to play this weekend. Life and all that.

You guys are all doing some really inspiring work!

Donnacr
08-23-2009, 03:58 AM
robbygirl - I can imagine seeing a picture similar to your cat over here - it MUST be good!
Linda - I don't understand why you say you have all this problem with body parts - to me, those drawings are GREAT! (much better than anything I could come up with)
ibus - your cards are beautiful!

Donnacr
08-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Here is my next Pergamano attempt - the right side of the card is completed as per the instructions, on the left side of the card I tried to give more dimension to the design (like the illustration showed). It was fun getting to add the colour to the design.
I have also learnt new skills while playing on the GAT site - I can now add more than 1 picture to a thread reply. Doesn't sound like much but it was very frustrating being unable to do it before! :unsure:

LuvLoz
08-23-2009, 05:24 AM
That is coming along really well, Mum! Is it card sized or ATC sized? We used to have a few members who did pergamano work on their atcs, but I think that might have been back on the other site.

Congrats to everyone who has learnt something new this weekend. I have taken photos of my paper towel backgrounds, but haven't uploaded them to the computer yet.

Ibus
08-23-2009, 07:16 AM
MAD PROPS to all of you that manage to make the darn things so well, 'cuz I have wanted to throw mine across the room many, many times in the HOURS it has taken me.

LOL It's what you're used to! I could've whipped up six fabric cards in a fraction of the time it took me to do the six I've posted! And I'd have been happy with them, not insecure as I am about these :twitcy:

Donnacr
08-23-2009, 07:17 AM
the 'Happy Birthday' is card size but the earlier 'Good Luck' was ATC size - I should be able to transfer what I am learning to ATCs quite easily
can't wait to see your backgrounds, Loz

RobbyGirl
08-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Good Morning All....Well I think it's collaging for me today. I haven't collaged in 10-11years although I used to do pretty good Journals Covers I've never done anything ATC sized so today...We'll give it a go. I have lots of scraps that have come as ephemera with ATC trades.

Good Luck with your learning today! Can't wait to see what you all create.

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Donnacr ~ What is 'Pergamano'? (I will have to do some research :yes: ) It looks cool!

ETA ~ Today, I am finishing my fabric cards and then I will figure out something else I want to learn more about :D

Donnacr
08-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi Hayward cs - Pergamano's other name is 'Parchment craft' as it is worked on parchment paper - this is like stiff vellum. Your first step is to trace the design on the right side of the paper in white ink, you then reverse the paper and emboss the design - the firmer you press the whiter the design shows on the right side (unless you press too hard and make holes), at this stage you can also add various colours to the wrong side. it is also called 'paper lace' as, when you become more skilled than me, you start using various tools to cut out parts of the design. when done properly it is truly beautiful
good luck with your fabric cards - they WILL be worth the effort. I can't wait to see them

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Donnacr! Sounds very cool. Perhaps I will make an attempt at it someday ;)

The fabric cards are done! Or at least they are photographable LOL I still need to iron them flat, but they have been all stitched up and the Fray Check is drying. So, ironing is the last of it.
I posted them in my Gallery if anyone wants to check them out. They turned out cute, I think. I will probably not make any more for an extremely long time, but it was an experience. I think I'm gonna send them in for Jensamouse's 'Cool Colors' swap. They def. fit the theme.

RobbyGirl
08-23-2009, 12:49 PM
They did turn out cute, nice work Hayward!

egod
08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry, but I have to give up. My computer is still not working right, making it impossible for me to upload any example; therefore, my participation would only be partial. I am continuing work on my projects, just not anything I can share. Just words don't seem very helpful. I will enjoy looking at your work and reading about it. If I have any comments that I think might be helpful, I will share them. I'm feeling so frustrated at the moment.

Tamrantula
08-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Wow, hayward--those fabric cards are very pretty!

donnacr--great Pergamano! With the color it adds so much dimension. Wonderful!

Those body parts drawings are amazing! I wish I could do that! Stick people are my level! LOL

Ibus--those melted crayon cards are beautiful! I have done it with the music sheets--as accent pieces...but, never the whole background...great idea!

Everyone is doing beautiful stuff! I am going to try working with clay a bit....maybe actually make something...if I can find my book! Time to go searching! LOL

Tamrantula
08-23-2009, 01:16 PM
egod, so sorry about your computer problems! Darn things...can't live with em/can't live without em! LOL

RobbyGirl
08-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm still working on these ...but this is what I have so far.

Joni Owens
08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
egod, your computer is most probably male (lol), which explains the problem (lol). Ok, just kidding all our male afa'ers.

Here's what my brain has me doing so far, finally, doubt I'll finish it by the deadline but so far I've picked up a 16x20 canvas (this is a stretch for me to begin with) that has really gone wrong (very bright colors) and last night gave it a good coat of gesso. Today I've glued on pieces of old book (multi language) pages and strips and squares of muslin I sat and cut and tore last night. I've sprinkled cinnamon on it to give it an aged, rusted look so far - waiting for it to tell me what the next step is. Looking interesting so far and has my downstairs smelling yummy (lol).

31710 31711

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Robby Girl -- Those are cool looking! I LOVE the second one (the one with the lady on it) very 'busy' and I like it :D

Joni -- So far, it looks amazing. I would never have thought to use cinnamon. Hmmm...the wheels are turning. LOL I can't wait to see it when it is completed. ;)

RobbyGirl
08-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Ohhhh yummy...how cool cinnamon. I wanted to try something with coffee grounds but I don't drink coffee so I don't have any....hee hee... I suppose I could go knock on any neighbors door and ask but they might think I'm nutz!

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, poo. Looks like I'm not going to be able to play this weekend. Life and all that.

You guys are all doing some really inspiring work!:huh: sorry you couldn't joinus hun.

Here is my next Pergamano attempt - the right side of the card is completed as per the instructions, on the left side of the card I tried to give more dimension to the design (like the illustration showed). It was fun getting to add the colour to the design.
I have also learnt new skills while playing on the GAT site - I can now add more than 1 picture to a thread reply. Doesn't sound like much but it was very frustrating being unable to do it before! :unsure: Yes I have been here for about three years and I am still learning new things about manuvering through the site. Love your card! I still have my pergamano folder sitting here, don't know where my muse will pull me today.

Sorry, but I have to give up. My computer is still not working right, making it impossible for me to upload any example; therefore, my participation would only be partial. I am continuing work on my projects, just not anything I can share. Just words don't seem very helpful. I will enjoy looking at your work and reading about it. If I have any comments that I think might be helpful, I will share them. I'm feeling so frustrated at the moment. :swoon:Ohh how I hate computers! But I don't know what I'd do without it and all of you. And I know when you are so frustrated with a bad computer it would be hard to focuss on learning. But you are always welcome here even if you are not showing anything. This weekend is for us to give ourselves time to learn or try something we've been putting off doing.

I'm working on creating stamps.

I made one using cork from a wine bottle, that had the words "New Age". I made a reversed stamp with the word "New". I'll try some cord stamps now.

That "pergamano" technique is know here as "Spanish cards". I used to do them as a kid, usually as greeting cards. Cool making stamps is fun! I have carved a few out of pink earsers.

:wub:Cool Collage RobbyGirl...

Still curious about your papertowels LuvLoz :D

Wow Joni!:idea: Cinnamon! Love it. My sweet husband really wants me to bigger stuff for our wall instead of just little things I keep trading away... :laugh:

Hayward I like fabric atc's. Make sure you keep one for yorself since you do not plan to do more for sometime:rolleyes:

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Also here is a link I showed in the other thread with a video on Pergamano. http://hubpages.com/hub/Pergamano-Paper-Craft

That "pergamano" technique is know here as "Spanish cards". I used to do them as a kid, usually as greeting cards.

I don't remember where Pergamano originated and I could be totally mistaken but I think it is at least a couple hundred years old and was started as some kind of religous art done by nuns? monks? :eek: I don't remember! and I'm not motivated enough to deal with my slow internet and do a search... :laugh:

Dadreemer
08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
One of the things I've been playing with for the LAT is Omni~Gel. The other is Friendly Plastic pellets. Here are some pics on the Omni~Gel.

31731 31732 31733

31734 31735

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Well I did a zentangle this morning. I tried to do it a bit different than what I usually do and not use my nomarl patterns.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/4_My_Art_001.jpg

Also I spoke to my dear husband this morning. I try not to dwell on how long he is away when he is working. It is easier to just keep a lighthearted and vague tally since I am pretty much alone the whole time. BUT he got back to his station this morning and was looking at the timesheets.... He left for work on July 24 and has not been home since.... If he doesn't get sent out on another fire he will be home Tuesday!

Ibus
08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh Linda, that's lovely!

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Ohh Wow Dadreamer those are so cool. I have not heard of Omni Gel. I did one small B&W transfer with a gel medium a long time ago but the paper didn't come off that easy. I had to rub the paper away, took time and made a mess.

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Thank you Ibus:)

Ibus
08-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Dadreemer, those are fabulous! I will need to find some of that stuff, it's waaaaay easier than the tape I was mucking about with yesterday :)

Tamrantula
08-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Linda, I was wondering if your hubby was out fighting those California fires I saw on the news....hope he gets home soon!

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Dadreemer -- Those are FANTASTIC! Now, to hunt down some Omni-Gel. LOL

Linda -- I love zentangles. <sigh> Making them slowly drives me insane though. So, I will just sit here and admire yours. :yes:

Dadreemer
08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Linda, those zentangle patterns are so cool! Reminds me of the making of a bagpipe.

Jean
08-23-2009, 04:58 PM
OMG, dreemer that stuff is freakin' fabdabulous! Wonder if it works on mag images too, as the tape transfers do... Oooh, just think of making transfers of our own art...:swoon: Overload! Overload!

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Well thank you all. Tam yes he has been out fighting fires. He has also been sick the 3 days and sounding very tired. I sooo hope he comes home Tuesday!

Linda, those zentangle patterns are so cool! Reminds me of the making of a bagpipe.

:D I like that image....

egod
08-23-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm going to try one more time. I did and it still didn't work. I use Picasa for storing, sizing, and otherwise getting my cards ready to go on line. I've never had any problem before, and I just checked that they will print (correct info is being sent the printer) but when I go to advanced and to manage attachments on here and try to import from my computer, the image shows up as image.0jpg and when I try to upload, I am told no image is present. I guess the "0" is causing that. Any computer whizzes on here who knows how to correct that?

Jean
08-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Prayers y'all way, Linda...and for all dealing with disasters, eh?

Ok. I tried. The noses are not successful but I have a better understanding of what I'm supposed to do, largely thanks to you, Linda - the tutorial I had found was all about angles and proportions and -- overload. Your images helped a lot. I was a bit loopy by the time I started giving them faces, giggling alone in the room - thankfully alone, I think!!

The next one, I was trying to loosen up and slap paint around more freely instead of that constrained way I have. It's a woman sitting on a bench at the beach. She must be very heavy, as I am, b/c she's awfully high on the seat!! Argh.

Actually, I did the man at end next. Was thinking about that petroglyph/cave painting swap. Abandoned the idea. A good decision, I think!

The vase was me trying to be freer w/o losing total control of myself, lololol. So...I did try.

Jean
08-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Then I decided to paint moon scenes. I am too late for that swap, but I thought I'd play with moons anyway.

So first I tried to be edgy and dark. I didn't like it. I must have a Hallmark soul.
Then I needed some peace so I did the valley one. When I was in NJ, my favourite place was the little chapel where we could sit quietly and look over the valley and distant hills and small mountains...I esp loved it at night when it was misty.

Then I thought a lake view...but whoa! If you follow that shoreline, you'll need to be a mountain goat! So I tried again, trying to keep the shoreline underfoot.

About that time I needed a dose of Christmas, hence evergreens.

Now I need Bailey's.

Ibus
08-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Jean, I really like your vase and flowers and your moon scenes are gorgeous, I love all of them.

RobbyGirl
08-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Linda-Happy your hubby will be home soon! A month is a long time but he's wonderful for what he does.

Dadreemer-Thanks for sharing Omni Gel...totally going to get some.

Jean-Love those moon scapes...especially the first two..yes I really like the dark one!

RobbyGirl
08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
p.s. did any of you see this DIY version of an Icarius Board that Siren posted? I don't have time this weekend but definitely want to try this:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11708

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
RobbyGirl -- I did see that. :yes: It looks very cool. I am planning to try it with sometime soon, but I just haven't had the chance to yet LOL

complicious
08-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Wow--great work everyone. I managed but 4 images for my whimsey workshop: 2 nature, 2 houses (they might not be recognizable without forewarning, LOL). They're all marker and gel pen on bristol board or patterned scrapbook paper. I don't think I've ever done this much marker work. I made the tree image around these random stamped 'o's that I had done with some faded ink. Now I've got to post these to the Art Trader site for my critiques.

RobbyGirl
08-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Ladies, it's been a pleasure learning with you this weekend! Really great stuff you've all put out. I'm calling it a day because I get a date night with my husband and am off to see the "Time Travelers Wife" Yay! This was one of my all time favorite books so hopefully they won't butcher it. Linda thanks so much for "hosting" this!!!

kylieluvsart
08-23-2009, 07:25 PM
hi everyone i know the weekend is over , but i did do one art peice from a aussie mag i have and did a pastel of native birds pretty good gonna give it to a girl a work.

Tamrantula
08-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Well--no art doll yet...but, I have gotten a few faces made! Now, gotta research what is best to paint them with!

Jean
08-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Very cool faces and I think I learned more from everyone's posts than from my own efforts, actually! Thanks for the company on the trip, ladies - can't wait for the next one!

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Jean IF you want more detail for your nose lessons.... Last year at the Learn-a-thon someone found an online tutorial by Brenda Hoddinott author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing People. All her lessons are easy to follow. She is working without color in these lessons But she spends 3 or 4 pages on each subject and I think they are really helpful. She draws the nose useing three circles to get the basic shape started and explains the different angles etc.You may want to look for online tutorial....

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Alright, here are some of the finished 'Fairy Bottles'. I am making them for the charm swap. They are the reason I made the little Friendly plastic squares (well, that and I wanted to play with my new toy LOL)
Thought I would show what I am doing with the tiny squares I made on Friday. The bottles themselves are only about an inch or so tall. Maybe a little more than an inch.

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Kylie the weekend / LAT isn't over till Midnight! So lets see what you did!

RobbyGirl hmmm If I had one of those Icarrius drawing bords a couple of years ago I could have used those oil Pastels I purchased that were so hard. I ended up tossing them out. Thanks for joining us and enjoy the movie and the hubby!

Complicious Fun Whimsies.... I wish I could have taken those clases....

Tam Cool faces! Are they fimo? I did some little ones with a mold using Paperclay. But haven't painted them.

Jean Your Moon scapes are Beautiful!!! I also like the Vase and the lady on the bench!

Ibus
08-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Alright, here are some of the finished 'Fairy Bottles'. I am making them for the charm swap. They are the reason I made the little Friendly plastic squares (well, that and I wanted to play with my new toy LOL)
Thought I would show what I am doing with the tiny squares I made on Friday. The bottles themselves are only about an inch or so tall. Maybe a little more than an inch.

They're cute!

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 08:24 PM
OHHH I LOVE those tiny little jars!!!! Too Pretty!

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Tam -- Those faces are awesome. I haven't attempted anything with clay yet. Perhaps I should get some and try it out. Do you have to bake it? Does it smell when you do?

Complicious -- Whimsy drawing is so much fun :D I really like that flower. <sigh> I wish that I were better with markers. I just can't seem to do anything with them. Although, it could just be the marker (not really, it is likely operator error more than anything else. LOL)

Jean -- I think that your 'Fine Art' is just Fine :D

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
31773I decided to go ahead and some pergamano today. I did these to warm up.

I am working on a card for my husband now but it is sooo slow! And my white pergamano ink has a big lump that won't dissolve, I didn't notice at first but what I did is done with watery ink. :skeptical:

Here is the picture from the book of what it should look like...31774 I guess it's a wedding card but it was the only "love" type pattern I had.

Tamrantula
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Let's see..

Polymer clay...Premo....sculpey?

yes--baked them about 1/2 hr.

No--didn't even smell it.

Here is what I made (not sure if it is finished...not too happy with the arms yet...and it kind of looks tooo...um...symetrical...may have to change it up somehow...but, here is what I have so far...)

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 08:59 PM
I love how you used perm rods for the legs LOL Too wonderful!

theweavershand
08-23-2009, 10:22 PM
havent had a chance to participate at all this weekend but ive got a few hours left so who knows. i love all the techniques you guys have been trying. that peeled paint technique is esp nice. i'll have to give that one a try. i did work on a project this weekend. every year our middle school youth director has me make medallions to give to the kids that are graduating from middle school to the high school group. he gives me an idea of what he wants and i figure out a way to create it. i made 25 this year. if i get a chance to learn anything ill post it. thanks for all the inspiration! you guys are awesome!

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Those are really cool weaver.

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 10:59 PM
I am really hoping that I don't learn what it's like to have poison oak? /ivy?

The zentangle With a Twist challeng this week involves picking some leaves to use as inspiration. I was gathering different leaves and these small leaves I grabbed at the base of a tree came up with a long root, it had a tuff stem and then I noticed a bunch of little spines on the stem and dropped it quickly. I couldn't describe the leaves.,,,,,

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Oh no Linda! Hopefully it is not. That would just be awful.
I have no idea if it would be poison ivy/oak or not, but my mom always reminds me "Leaves of 3, let it be." That's how I have taught both my girls as well. (Isn't that odd? LOL)

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Well I know only one grows in our area but forget which, and we have it all around here and it grows in vines that climb up the trees, and thrives in the sun, and gets a pretty reddish tint to the leaves in the fall. But I have totally stayed away from anything I thought might be it.

Linda4atc
08-23-2009, 11:26 PM
This was maybe 4 inches tall when I grabbed it so I don't know. I am getting some itching but no rash and it is probably all in my head... LOL

Dadreemer
08-23-2009, 11:44 PM
PART 1

Got some more learnin' in this weekend...played with Friendly Plastic pellets, alcohol inks, Pearl-Ex, micro beads and rubber stamps. I used a mini electric fry pan and used a small heat plate (it kept the temp just right).

Posting Attachments will only let you do 5 pics at a time, so I have to post twice, sorry.
31782 31783 31784 31785

Dadreemer
08-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Part 2.

Playing with Friendly Plastic pellets.

31786 31787 31788 31789

hayward_cs
08-23-2009, 11:57 PM
OOOooooo, another Friendly Plastic newbie! I need to find some of those pellets. The strips were cool, but I would like to try those as well. Hmmm...

Linda4atc
08-24-2009, 12:11 AM
I like the colors and the beads in them, pretty. Thank you for sharing all that in pictures it made a fun little lesson!

Linda4atc
08-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Yes the pellets are what I used 22 years ago to make that tree topper. You can also use hot water to soften friendly plastic while you are trying to shape it.

Linda4atc
08-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Awsome news Two fold....

My husband called and he says it was not poison oak. (Oak is the one we have here) He I described it to him. Also he said I would have a weepy rash already if it was and I was allergic.

AND HE will be HOME tomorrow!!!!

Linda4atc
08-24-2009, 03:47 AM
well it's 45 minutes late but I got my Pergamano card done. I am not sure if I like doing the perforation and clippint with the pergamano snips for the cut away. It looks prettier in pictures than how it looks in person.http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/5_My_Art_001.jpg

goatgoddess
08-24-2009, 06:16 AM
ohhh how pretty - I never did find time to play darn it - will have fun looking thru the rest of the thread to see what everyone else did - while at work this morning :)

Tamrantula
08-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Pretty, Pretty, Pretty Linda! I think it looks elegant!

Ibus
08-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Linda that is lovely! Well done! :)

Jean
08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Omigosh, Linda - that is beautiful! Yay for hubby coming home and no poison oak!

Dadreemer
08-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Better late than never, Linda. That's simply beautiful! I had so much fun learning, doing, and sharing with you all this weekend.

Tamrantula
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
I didn't get to participate a whole lot, while working on the GAT and cleaning my craft area....

BUT...

I did get an art doll done! Whoo hoo! I call that success! I have been wanting to make one for ages, and finally did it! AND I made the head from the clay...which I have been wanting to take the time to try....and finally did! So, even tho I am not completely happy with the results yet....I would call it a SUCCESS!

Thanks for hosting a great event, Linda! It was so fun to see all the different things people were trying out!

Tamrantula
08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Ok--this isn't a great picture....and I didn't technically do it over the weekend (but, I am off today, so it is a LONG weekend--doesn't that count! LOL)

I saw this idea in a rubber stamping book--and I needed something to take to a festival in a few weeks...so, I thought I would try it.

You guys have probably seen it before, but I haven't and I love the way it worked!

I just rubber stamped on white tissue paper and melted the tissue paper onto the candle.

When i do it for the goodie bags for the festival, I will use bigger white candles, but this was my test case. I am burning the candle now, to be sure the tissue paper won't burn.

You can't read it in the pic...but the stamp is of the courage badge for the lion in Wizard of Oz.

Dadreemer
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Thank you Linda! Had a great time!

I had soooo much fun and learned some new things too. Would love to do this again when it comes back.

egod
08-24-2009, 03:41 PM
I think my computer is finally working--maybe. I enjoyed looking at all the things you are working on. Some lovely work. I think I can upload a photo of a card I made, working on something that would look like the gelatin prints (may be called albumin) that followed tin types. They were printed on a metal backed ivory covered, plastic like material. I did this one with a transparency on embossed card stock. I may redo it, but I was pleased with how it turned out generally. It shows as pink here, but it's really ivory burnished with gold and antiqued a bit with brown ink.

egod
08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I was thinking that this would be a good permanent thread, a way of sharing and find out about new techniques, products, etc. Also, good as a way of getting feedback on unfinished projects.

hayward_cs
08-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Tam -- We used to make/decorate candles like that all the time when I was little. I think that someone even used it for a fundraiser one year at school. It was very cool. Thanks for refreshing my memory. :D I like the pattern that you used.

egod -- That is so cool looking! Is there a tute somewhere that would give info on how to do it? (Yeah, more research! LOL I *like* research :D )

egod
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I think I made it up, but I'm sure I probably didn't. I'll try to post a how to, but as I complained all weekend, my computer is very unreliable at the moment. I've had some horrible virus attack. As I probably will make another one of these, I'll take photos of the steps and figure out where to post it. Thanks for the comment. You were the first person to see it!

Joni Owens
08-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Ok, I'm "fashionably late" I did a bit more on this last night but forgot to upload it. I've added 3 transparency photos and some scrapbook paper and some gesso. I'll be waiting on more inspiration from "the voices" (lol). Please disregard the glow of the flash/lights.

Joni Owens
08-24-2009, 06:23 PM
This was great, I got inspired to start a new project and have learned about some new interesting techniques and have added to my mile long wish list of needed things.

Linda4atc
08-24-2009, 10:27 PM
And thank you all I had a great weekend learning and sharing with you all, and quiet snuggly day with tired and run down hero.

Joni that is comming out cool. Are you still adding to it?

Tam I'm so glad that you feel it was success. I love the way your clay heads came out, and the doll is so clever with the perm rod legs. Maybe you should make a little clay hair dryer for her or get a Barbie hair brush for her. The candels are cool to! Maybe that is another way to use all the pretty napkins I've been collecting.

egod that albumin you did is lovely! Is the photo of someone you know? I actually have a tiny framed photo of a little girl that was my 87 year old neighbor when I first moved to Eureka. I helped her many times until she had to give up and go into a nursing home. She was an amazing old lady. She asked me if there was anything I wanted and that is what I asked for.

Linda4atc
08-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I was thinking that this would be a good permanent thread, a way of sharing and find out about new techniques, products, etc. Also, good as a way of getting feedback on unfinished projects.

I don't have very much luck keeping a thread going over extended periods.:unsure: But if someone else wants to start one that is fine with me. My husbands schedule changes so much and he is often home weekends so I would enjoy being able to do something like this during the week when I'm alone.

egod
08-24-2009, 11:13 PM
The little girl is me 65 or so years ago! On the thread, I was thinking of one that would not be such a push, but just a place for people to share what they are working on, products they are using, etc., more on the order of "The Best Thing that Happened to me Today" thread. Maybe that's what the social threads are for (Jack of all Trades, for example). Maybe it could be "The best thing I learned this week..."

Linda4atc
08-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Or something like .... Fight Alzheimer's with Artsy Learning, what are you learning?

I like the thought but not the wording...

sniisk
08-25-2009, 05:35 AM
I spent almost all the weekend making doll house stuff and didn't concentrate on ATCs. But I made a lot stuff with Fimo :).

Ibus
08-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Thank you Linda! Had a great time!

I had soooo much fun and learned some new things too. Would love to do this again when it comes back.

I'd like to second this! Although I didn't do a great deal myself, it's been wonderful to see what others are doing/using that I can try too!

Joni Owens
08-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Oh yes, Linda, that will be an ongoing project. I'm going thru my drawer of fabric for vintage lace, etc and will go thru my box of rusted items, etc. I have several pieces partially completed hanging on the wall in front of my desk that are waiting on the next step, this will go up there too. When I finally am satisfied it's finished I'll upload a photo in my gallery.

Jean
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Tam - love the candle! I think we did something similar back in the day. The wider the candle, the safer, as the sides don't melt and/or catch fire,lol.

egod - beautiful vintage-looking card!

Joni, that's beautiful!