View Full Version : MISC: Spring Print Exchange - Due April 30

Zhenechka
02-21-2008, 05:31 PM
SPRING PRINT EXCHANGE

Swap Due Date - 30 April
Signup/withdraw date - 20 March
Number of Cards - 10 for 10*
Number of participants - 10

Now that I live somewhere where -15 Celsius is considered balmy weather, I appreciate spring that much more.

This swap is for 10 artists to celebrate spring through traditional printmaking methods, which include but are not limited to linocuts, hand-carved stamps, letterpress, collography, and serigraphy.

Your prints should be hand-pulled and all imagery in your print should originate with you, the artist.

The details:
1. Make one edition of ten prints (you'll receive one of your own prints back) inspired by spring. You're free to make an edition of more than ten prints but please only send in ten prints.
2. The paper size for your print should be 4" x 6" and the image size should be 2.5" x 3.5".
3. Orientation of your print can be either landscape or portrait.
4. Please use decent paper for your prints. By decent, I mean no copy paper.
5. Your edition should be signed, titled, and numbered just below the print.
6. Please water proof your prints somehow, i.e. place them in a plastic baggy for mailing. I will be using your own packaging to send your returns back to you.
7. Along with your edition, please include the following items: POSTAGE: Canadians - however many loose stamps as it took you to mail your prints to me. Americans - 2 well-concealed USDs. Please no coins. International - postage is on me. AN ADDRESS LABEL: Please make sure that your address is written clearly and legibly. No tiny return address labels, please.

*NB: If there are fewer than ten participants after the sign-up deadline passes, I will change the number prints to be included in your edition. For example, if only six people sign up, you will be required to submit an edition of six prints instead of ten prints. Conversely, if this swap fills up and someone would like to be listed as an alternate in case someone drops out, please let me know.

Useful links:
collography tutorial (http://www.richmondartgallery.org/inprint/collograph.php)
stamp carving tutorial (http://zenheart.livejournal.com/26395.html)
cheap screen printing tutorial (http://community.livejournal.com/craftgrrl/3674467.html)
printmaking pool at flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/printmaking/)
carve your stamps pool at flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/28928217@N00/)

Participants:
1. Zhenechka
2. eepy received
3. Pumpkin12pm - received
4. flowergurl4eva - received
5. ilovelillies (Nness)
6. whimsey (Nness) - received
7. detephoto(Nness) - received
8. altermyworld received
9. Lagaz - received
10. Akua (Nness) - received

mynameisJenn
02-21-2008, 06:26 PM
if I only had the time for this, I'm currently participating in 3 print exchanges and work for my advanced etching class.

maybe next time!

eepy
02-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh, I can't pass this one up. Haven't the faintest idea what I'll do but it is beginning to feel like spring today.

Zhenechka
02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Oh, I can't pass this one up. Haven't the faintest idea what I'll do but it is beginning to feel like spring today.

Isn't always spring-like in BC? ;)

Welcome aboard, eepy.

OriginalYouth
02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
This is cool. I'd love to see a few examples shown to help everyone. :) Put some up when you can, okay? Thanks!

Pumpkin12pm
02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I haven't done prints in a while, but know I have some linoblock and ink. Count me in! I've got some great thick paper, maybe I'll try making more than ten and stitching...

Zhenechka
02-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Welcome aboard, Pumpkin!

Zhenechka
02-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Bump. Anyone before I invite outsiders?

If you'd like to see examples of printmaking: here's the linocut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50311581@N00/35723701/in/set-72057594063322278/) I did for the first spring print exchange I hosted a couple of years ago (the size limits were different then) and here's a recent print (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50311581@N00/2265293200/) my wife and I did for another exchange.

The possibilities are endless and beginners are more than welcome.

flowergurl4eva
02-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Please sign me up for this swap

Zhenechka
02-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Please sign me up for this swap

Awesome! Will do.

altermyworld
03-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Zh, i am thinking of handcarving a pretty spring flower can i then do a quick WC wash on the flower ?
ANg

Zhenechka
03-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Zh, i am thinking of handcarving a pretty spring flower can i then do a quick WC wash on the flower ?
ANg

I don't have a problem with that. The focal point, for lack of a better term, should be the print but that doesn't immediately preclude embellishment.

Holy. Can you tell that I'm editing dissertations to put some money in the bank?

In English and with meaning: As long as the watercolour doesn't overpower the print (and it doesn't sound like it would since you'll be doing a "quick wash"), embellish and paint away.

So, does that mean you're signing up or are you still being reasonable about your commitments? ;)

altermyworld
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Meekly....please sign me up, i understand now.

Ang

Committments shmittements

Lagaz
03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I think I'd like to sign up for this one!!!

Zhenechka
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Meekly....please sign me up, i understand now.

Ang

Committments shmittements

Sorry. I thought I'd beaten my inner academic into submission. Yeah! Welcome aboard!

I think I'd like to sign up for this one!!!

Awesome! The more Manitobans, the merrier! :)

altermyworld
03-03-2008, 11:32 PM
:) its all good.
Ang

Zhenechka
03-20-2008, 10:01 AM
We are full, folks! Everyone will be making an edition of ten prints following the size guidelines in the first post of this thread. I'll send everyone my address next week after I get back from the cottage.

eepy
03-20-2008, 12:15 PM
If your cottage is in Manitoba, won't it still be buried in snow? First day of spring tomorrow!

Zhenechka
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
If your cottage is in Manitoba, won't it still be buried in snow? First day of spring tomorrow!

Heh. No, I think that it'll probably be surrounded by standing water and slush. :P

Zhenechka
03-27-2008, 01:29 PM
The received list has been updated!

Lagaz
04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Zhenia, does it matter what color ink we use, when we print them? Just something that is not too light?

Zhenechka
04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Ink colour does not matter as long as it contributes to the effect you want (and is visible ;) ). The one set of prints I've received so far is printed in purple.

eepy
04-03-2008, 10:17 PM
What do you think of the orange PZcut, Akua?

I used it for the first time, and it's alright but I definitely prefer the white. The orange texture is quite different, not as bad as the other crumbly types though.

Lagaz
04-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I'll be sending mine tomorrow!
Here's a couple to show what you're getting. I put them on different colored papers, 'cuz it looked boring and lonely on white paper. They all look awesome :) Even my mom was impressed!

Zhenechka
04-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Those look great, Melissa! I can't wait to see them in person.

Lagaz
04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I tried with regular marker on another stamp that I did, and it seemed to work fine. But mind you, it was a really small part of the stamp, and depending on how fast the marker ink dries, you might have to move quickly.

altermyworld
04-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I am starting on mine tonight. I carved something last night and my muse said "Blah." Darn she is really putting me in my place lately.
ANg

altermyworld
04-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Lovely Lagaz!!!!!
Ang

Lagaz
04-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks Ang :) I know how you feel about the Muse. SOmetimes I just want to backhand her just so I can get something accomplished. Although that could be deemed a bit extreme :eek:

altermyworld
04-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Laughing, i SO get what you are saying Melissa. However when i listen to her my spirit is calmer and i create from a different place and whatever i am creating is great. If i bristle her it works also, but if i piss her off. goooooooood lord watch out.
she sulks.
ANg

Lagaz
04-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Is the one on the right the photo paper? I like it because I can see the image the best, very vibrant colours. The vertical/vertical orientation would look best methinks. I think it would look like it's not balanced if you do it vertical/horizontal. JMO.
Maybe you could still do the photo paper but cut out the ATC size and mount it on hard press? But that might be more work than you had intended.

Zhenechka
04-07-2008, 01:38 PM
The print on photo paper looks better; the colours are more vivid.

These will not be bound. Rather, this is a print swap much like Nicci's Fine Art Valentine (in which I'm pretty sure you're participating, Akua, yes?). The uniform size of paper and printed image that I requested was to make it easier for everyone to display the prints they receive. But that might just be me and my love of clusters. :)

So...I would go with vertical/vertical. That way, your prints will be easier to mat and frame if anyone decides to go that route.

I just saw your update. I don't spend much, if any, time on the computer on the weekends.

And the received list has been updated. This is shaping up to be an excellent swap!

altermyworld
04-07-2008, 05:39 PM
My prints

Zhenechka
04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
My prints

booootiful!

Lagaz
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Those are awesome Ang!!! I especially like it with the touch of colour :)

altermyworld
04-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Mine went postal today
ANg

Zhenechka
04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Awesome!

How's everyone else doing with their prints?

Zhenechka
04-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Received list has been updated!

Zhenechka
04-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Received list has been updated.

eepy
04-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Mine are done! They'll be in the post tomorrow.

Zhenechka
04-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Mine are done! They'll be in the post tomorrow.

Awesome! I'll leave fb and post here when they arrive.

flowergurl4eva
04-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi,
Sorry I have been so quiet.
My brother died and his funeral was two weeks ago.
I have had a lot on my mind.

I have done my carving, I just am trying to figure out a background. I usually like using kaliedacolor stamp pads for background color. This time I changed to watercolor background and I am not sure I like it. So, I may go with my cardstock that is already colored. Not sure, but will mail them out this week.

Vanessa

Zhenechka
04-21-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Vanessa. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Zhenechka
04-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Received list has been updated.

flowergurl4eva
04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Well, at least my prints for the exchange has:laugh:

Zhenechka
04-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Hello everyone!

I've heard from everyone about their prints. There are three sets that have been mailed but have not made it to me yet. I will be taking advantage of the two-week grace period to wait for the as-yet-not-arrived editions.

Watch this thread for updates.

altermyworld
04-30-2008, 10:03 PM
woo0hoooooooooooooo right on schedule!!
NAg

Zhenechka
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
The received list has been updated. I'm waiting for one more set and then returns will go postal. W00t!

I'd like to post a picture of everyone's print with proper attribution on my blog. If anyone would prefer it if I didn't post his or her print, please drop me a PM and if anyone would like me to include a link to his or her site in the post, please also drop me a PM.

Zhenechka
05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm still waiting for one edition. I'll update this thread when the prints arrive or on Friday, whichever comes first.

Zhenechka
05-09-2008, 09:55 AM
The final edition of prints has arrived!

Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to do the swapping out and mailing today. Therefore, returns will go out on Monday.

I'll post after I've put the envies in the mail and I'll also post the link to the URL where I've put all of your wonderful work on display once it exists.

Zhenechka
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Sorry about the delay, everyone.

Returns are postal!

I'd appreciate it if you posted to this thread when your cards arrive. If I don't hear anything, however, I will assume that your edition of spring prints has arrived safe and sound.

I'll post the link to my blog post with all of your wonderful work in it as soon as I publish it.

altermyworld
05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
wooooooooohoooooooooooooo i love canadian swaps. :)
ANg

Zhenechka
05-14-2008, 09:00 AM
wooooooooohoooooooooooooo i love canadian swaps. :)
ANg

Returns will only take a week (not two) to get to you! :yes:

If anyone would like a sneak peek at all of the prints, I've posted scans here. (http://zhenia.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/spring-prints/)

altermyworld
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
OOOOOOOOOOO thats cool Zh i love that you scanned all of them, thank you.
Love the spring prints.
Ang

Lagaz
05-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Those are great! Can't wait :)

Zhenechka
05-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I think that you'll all be very happy with the prints. This was a great swap to host.

altermyworld
05-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I can't wait, it seems like a nice Spring quiet swap. Does that make sense?
ANg

eepy
05-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Spring Prints have finally arrived on Loon Island, and are well worth waiting for!
Hard to identify who did which as most of them don't have user names, and I think there must be a couple that aren't in AfA. Great work, people! I love love loved this exchange.

Zhenechka
05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Spring Prints have finally arrived on Loon Island, and are well worth waiting for!
Hard to identify who did which as most of them don't have user names, and I think there must be a couple that aren't in AfA. Great work, people! I love love loved this exchange.

W00t!

There were a couple of people in this swap that were from Nervousness. Let's see...the monotype is by ilovelillies and the cherry trees is by whimsey. Everyone else frequents here.

If anyone needs help linking prints to user names for rep points or other purposes, please post to this thread. I'll leave it open until next Monday and then I'll ask the mods to put it in the archives.

Zhenechka
05-30-2008, 08:45 AM
P.S. If anyone wants to keep on with the printing love, I'm hosting a printmaking ATC swap (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3616) here. You're all more than welcome to join.