PDA

View Full Version : July 23-25: Chunky BOOK a thon!!

beeps
07-06-2010, 06:09 PM
As promised :laugh:

During the June ATART, many of us got our feet wet doing chunky pages for the "non-ATC art challenge" and found they were a lot of fun!

The weekend will be dedicated to making chunky pages on the theme of "Summer." You can do anything you want on the theme so have fun! After the weekend is over and the trades are made, you will have a few pages that can be bound into a little Summer themed chunky book. New and experienced chunky book makers welcome!

Now is the time to start thinking and planning. I'll admit I am not a chunky page expert but have made a few.

For those new to chunky pages:
-They are 4x4 inches in size and made on firm paper (cereal box with cardstock glued on is popular)
-They can be done in any mediums (draw, paint, collage, etc!)
-They *usually* have fun embellishments, like jewels and fabric flowers
-Many chunky pages have "danglies" or goodies that hang off the page
-You leave the left edge "clear" of chunky stuff that would prohibit binding
-The back of the page is decorated. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it will "show" when put in the book.

So once July ATART and Paint-a-thon are done, prepare to be chunky! :goofy:

If anyone has good "how to" links for chunkies, I can start a link set for those wanting to explore a bit more.

Links from chaoatlanta:
OriginalYouth put together a great thread with lots of info for binding & displaying chunky pages:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294
(LisaB has a photo of her Chunky Page Bird Wall Hanging in this thread.)

adriayna also has a great thread on this topic posted here (lots of photos!):
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6518

Locke
07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
This is a good thing for me since I've really been wondering what chunkies were lately xD I like donig 3-demensional art and pops ups so maybe I'll attempt some pages? Do you all have books you work on? Or lots of little ones? What do you use to hold them together?

Penlowe
07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I made this book participating in a Windows & Doors chunky page swap, most use the binder rings you see there. Some people do vertical books (bound on top) some do just one corner. Oh, that's only ten pages, too and about 2" thick.

beeps
07-06-2010, 10:08 PM
thanks for posting the picture penlowe!! that is a GREAT example of what a book looks like. i have only made a few pages (during the last ATART) so i dont have a finished book. love the binder ring binding - so simple but GOOD!

locke, my understanding is people tend to collect a theme or do a swap that is around a theme and then put the few pages together. for the THON, we will all do summertime themed pages to trade so that at the end we can all have enough pages (well, if you trade a few) to make a little summertime chunky. it will be a lot of fun, as are all our thons! i would be interested in seeing what you come up with - pop ups and 3d pages sound fun!

Locke
07-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Then I hope I can do well Cx I had a big project for school and I did pop up cards of characters I've made.

chaosatlanta
07-07-2010, 09:52 AM
:jiggy: Sounds like fun! I had a great time during the last chunky page-a-thon! I have lots of my pages and finished chunky books posted on my website: http://hobbyloco.com/chunky.html

:wacko: The craziest pages I made were "Magic 8 Ball" pages that were mechanical & actually told your fortune - just like the real "Magic 8 Ball" : http://hobbyloco.com/chunky_8ball.html

:wideeyed: My favorite project was the Haunted House chunky book I hosted a few years ago: http://hobbyloco.com/chunky_haunted.html. The book itself was a haunted house. The front cover starts with the front gate & each page progresses through the property and rooms of a haunted house. I hope to host another one of these - it was so much fun!

Anyhow ... there are so many thing you can do with a chunky page, so they are a lot of fun!

mrubyjean
07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
What fabulous pages and books, chaos!
The Magic 8 Ball and Haunted House books are SO clever!!

I'm hoping to play in this chunky-a-thon...I'll start collecting summer-y images and papers>

beeps
07-07-2010, 11:38 AM
choas you will have to come and play as our chunky expert!

now i have to think about how to step up my chunky game. maybe think about how i can make something on the page move or something. secret doors!! who knows. ha ha. interactive chunky pages!

goatgoddess
07-07-2010, 12:32 PM
sounds fun - if I have time (which I never seem to have enough of lately) I'll come by to play :)

dsign49
07-07-2010, 01:20 PM
chaosatlanta After you have your pages to you then do a front and back cover?

theweavershand
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
loving these chunky pages! just what i needed...a new addiction! :) lots to learn! Cheryl...wow! :notworthy: cant wait to see what you can teach us!

theweavershand
07-07-2010, 02:09 PM
so...question...what is the right size to make? i made all of mine with the extra 1/2 inch on one side but all the ones I got in trade are just the regular 4x4. how do you protect them? so much to learn!

RobbyGirl
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I hope to be here Beepsy, depends on how the wrist is holding up! I have a new found love for chunkies!

Penlowe
07-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Chunkies are 4" x 4", the 1/2 inch mentioned is within that, all it means is to not put heavy stuff that can't be punched through on that section, it should still have decoration.

I put mine in zipper top sandwich baggies, partly because I have small children and make lunches a lot :)

theweavershand
07-07-2010, 03:12 PM
oops...my bad! i read in one tutorial that you added a 1/2 inch on one side...oh well. ive been putting mine in sandwich bags as well but i just wondered what you did when you put them in books. do you protect them with anything?

beeps
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
i've seen instructions with and without the extra 1/2" tab. i think on here (from the swaps i've viewed) the size for chunkies is 4x4" - this should be easy enough to bind using the rings that penlowe showed us above.

mailing in sandwich bags - good idea!! i just put mine in some paper and popped them in an envie... hope that works okay or i'll be remaking them! :cool:

jill - yeah, i think you make the front cover/back cover once you are done. i didn't think about it before your post. maybe some experienced chunky players know.

i will be making a page for a "giveaway" during the weekend. if you play your name goes in the hat. pretty easy :) i don't plan to have anything crazy but if anyone wants to do prizes or trade "chunky goodies" that could be cool. i have some fun yarns i can mail out also.

i don't think they have protective "sleeves" that pages go in for the book. i picked up some gel medium and did a couple cards with it - seems that should seal things up good and tight! i might store my book/pages in a shoebox or something to keep the dust and cat fur out (wait, can you ever keep cat fur out of things?)

GoldenWolf
07-07-2010, 04:56 PM
I will try to play at least part of the weekend since I have lots of painted chunky bases that just need to be worked up.

chaosatlanta
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
chaosatlanta After you have your pages to you then do a front and back cover?

It depends on the project. I have several bound into books for which I made front and back covers to keep the pages protected.

Right now, I am collecting "Whimsical Cat" themed pages, which I plan to hook together to make a wall hanging.

OriginalYouth put together a great thread with lots of info for binding & displaying chunky pages:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294
(LisaB has a photo of her Chunky Page Bird Wall Hanging in this thread.)

adriayna also has a great thread on this topic posted here (lots of photos!):
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6518

So much fun!

theweavershand
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
excellent links...so much info and eye candy! thanks! i really need to find a place to start displaying all my cards and such!

ginabee
07-07-2010, 05:49 PM
So glad on the dates, I should be clear to play by then, from moving. I love Chunky's!
Beeps, great ideas you have on interactive page, etc.

dsign49
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Cheryl thanks for all the information and ways to display the pages.
I sure hope I get to play some. I'm sure we will be harvesting something by then. No that I have to do as much but seem like I have to be the gopher (go 4 ) it.

beeps
07-07-2010, 09:33 PM
chaoatlanta THANKS!! for the links. i put them in the first post in case others go hunting for them. they will go to the official page once we get our thon on.

some ideas i have... feel free to play around with them. i've been thinking of interactive pages.

--the "wheel" idea with a hole is fun, like chaoatlanta's link. thinking about that.
--maybe some kind of "pocket" on the page with "dangles" that have stuff on the end that fit in the pocket (i was thinking a picnic basket or something like that for summer)
--BRADS all kinds of BRADS omg i have to get some more.

that is all i have. for now :)

Linda4atc
07-07-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't know if I'll participate. I'm not interested in starting a new book but I;d love to add to my "In the Sea" Book. Of course mermaids would be a part of that.

I also don't know what time I'll have since I have some swap deadlines looming. But I will most definately be checking in here to keep up on all the fun!

I would also love an October Chunky-a-thon with Halloween theme. I have wanted to make a Halloween Witches Brew Cookbook. With recipes that include things like Bats Wings, Spider Legs, and such, and of course Halloween Witches. I only have one witch for it so far, from the PIF thread. :unsure:

beeps
07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
linda that sounds like fun! witches book... spookie! i think i would do cute monsters. we should have a chunky PAT sometime :) i think after the thon we'll have more chunky players. i have a feeling I WILL be a CHUNKY STAR!! :)

part of the reason i decided to do a little book swap was for newbies to be able to try out chunkies and finish a project over the weekend... i'm in that newbie bunch. maybe some mermaids will come swimming in for the summer themed chunkies - they are at the beach and beaches are summer! (you can see i am taking wide WIDE interpretations - lots of fun!)

jensaz
07-08-2010, 12:48 AM
OOOOHHH, I'm in on this one.. I'm now OFFICIALLY addicted to them..

Evalila
07-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Great! I hope IŽll be able to play! :)

Linda4atc
07-08-2010, 01:58 PM
linda that sounds like fun! witches book... spookie! i think i would do cute monsters. ..........
.......... maybe some mermaids will come swimming in for the summer themed chunkies - they are at the beach and beaches are summer! (you can see i am taking wide WIDE interpretations - lots of fun!)

LOL Not Spookie usually. A couple years back I bought all the pretty colored glass bottles with labels like Bat's wings, spider legs, eye of newt from Michaels for Halloween decorations. Ever since then I've wanted the Witches Brew chunky book to put on the shelf with the bottles.

As for mermaids they also like comming out and soaking up the sun an a rock. ;)

dsign49
07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
How much can we do to prepare for this Chunky-a-thon?

cut 4x4 squares
prep pages amd backs

Just wondering

beeps
07-08-2010, 10:06 PM
yeah, i think for THONs you can get things ready but shouldn't have pages put together.

i usually plan what i want to do and get blanks cut. i'm too lazy to make backgrounds beforehand... i should do that though this time :) i'll probably do that and get the basics of my backs done (cause i HATE doing backs on things... always delays the mail a bit :)

i would say you could prep pages and backs. cut stuff out. untangle fibers. make any embellishments that might take time (i'm thinking of cutting out some felt flowers). OHH and prep envelopes. <--- learned that one a couple thons ago. makes things EASY!! just do the envies as trades come in and put the traded card on the back. when things are dry stuff and mail!!

ginabee
07-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I ordered fibers tonight for the chunky thon! As I was packing I tried to keep my chunky book stuff altogether.

GoldenWolf
07-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I've only traded a few chunky pages. How do all of you package them for mailing so they are protected short of using a bubble envelope which gets expensive?

calluna
07-09-2010, 01:48 AM
if my muse shows up, i'll be there!
sandwich baggies are the way to go. (: i've made some using part of an old bookcover as the base, or chipboard, or mat-board (this is the base that was originally recommended to me), or gluing 2+ pieces of paperboard together (and sandwiching a lace trim between them)...All that to say, i like to make them too stiff to be easily bent. and/or, send them inside a CD mailer, or sandwiched inside 2 corrugated cardboard squares that are thoroughly covered in packing tape, slapping an address label on top.
or, going an entirely different route, one might make a page with a fabric or felt base and not worry about the bending!
continuing along with this aimless brainstorming post, one person i know made a fold-out chunky page that's simply stunning: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=297619.msg3452068#msg3452068
it's like a book in itself! wouldn't a whole book of those be amazing?

beeps
07-09-2010, 08:37 AM
so far, the chunkies i made didn't have anything really "thick" on them and i sent them in a reg card envie that they fit in. wrapped in some paper a little bit. maybe not the best method... i do plan to pick up some baggies at the store to slip them in. i know the craft store sells various sized bags for stuff. might get some of those that are to size. do that and sandwich in some cardstock if there are any jems or beads that need to be protected.

i also plan to remove any bulky "dangles" before mailing and slipping them in their own baggie so the recipient can attach them. using an envelope for a "lightly embellished" page i worry about the fibers getting ripped though the holes. i think the same could be done with some embellishments that might "mash" the paper in mailing. i know i wouldn't mind gluing things on (with markers for placement) if it meant final delivery was less costly and less likely to smash up the page.

good things to think about... HUMM..... maybe i'll keep my "CHUNKS" soft and machinable!!

kristinized
07-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't think you need to worry about detaching the danglies for mailing beeps, I've never seen a chunky where the fibers/danglies ripped out during shipping. I could see it happening if the page wasn't sturdy enough maybe, but not a normal page. If I have 1-4 to mail I'll usually send in a bubble envie, with no extra padding. I guess it all depends on what the finished page looks like though.

I don't know if I'll be able to make this chunkyathon, but I love chunkies! Hopefully I'll get the chance to make a few.

Penlowe
07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I made some shrinky dink charms for a chunky page once and they broke in shipping, despite being in a padded envelope. I think mostly because I punched the hole too close to the edge. The receiver was able to repair it though.

The issue I've found is they really need to be individually bagged for shipping, otherwise they can get really tangled if they have yarnie bits as their danglies.

beeps
07-09-2010, 12:14 PM
yes, that's a good point about bagging them. if you had a couple, they might "bind" themselves if not separated!!

i've also read on other threads about bagging or at least not "stacking" them in the envie because i guess they like to stick/melt together? rut roh!!

i think i'll make a list of suggested practices for construction/mailing for the THON so everyone is on the same page/we have ideas for "best practices." i'll get on that this weekend when i'm not supposed to be working on my dissertation (heh heh... lunch break!)

KESagers
07-09-2010, 12:48 PM
So much great information! I'm already collecting summer themed items for this marathon.;)

Cat's Cradle
07-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I'll be out of town that weekend. Have a b-day party in Boston to attend and won't be able to take my supplies with me. Bummer, since this sounds like a lot of fun!!

beeps
07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
do people remember those ponybead animals kids would make a few years ago? (maybe not... i did camps for several years and knew what the kids liked to make). i have a book with patterns making those with seed beads and thin wire. made a dragonfly. will work great as a charm.

this page has several free patterns. very fun! i got some thin wire for cheap in the floral department of the craft store... much cheaper than buying jewelry wire! you have to get the thin stuff if you use tiny tiny beads.

http://www.makingfriends.com/ponybead/ponybead_animals.htm

dsign49
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Great idea beeps. I have all kinds of beads and wire also but am sure embordiery (SP) would work also and not as hard as wire.

chaosatlanta
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
ooh! I like to use seed beads to make little things ... great link! I never would have thought to look under Pony bead patterns.

dsign49
07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Can we make them a head of time.

MorahLaura
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Cool beeps! I remember when the kids had those things but I never made any myself. I have beading wire and tiny beads though... I'll definitely check that out.

beeps
07-12-2010, 12:28 PM
jill, yes i think you can. it would be like prepping a background or something like that. i think for THONs the only thing you can't do is MAKE 100% MAKE items but you can put the bits and stuff together.

i have some backgrounds done (first layer). might make a few chunkies for the ATART (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15936&page=4)that is going on right now as a warm up :)

Linda4atc
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Beeps that site is AWSOME!!!!! Many years ago my son made a pony bead santa for me that I hang on the tree. But I used it as a pattern to make santa bead earings. All these patterns could be used as earrings or necklaces too.

Although I never thought of using them as chunkies, it is a great idea. Some other ideas are to Die cut firmer plastic packaging and use alcohol inks on them. You can use small wood cutouts as charms. Or use pegboard tags and cut out shapes decorated as charms. I have even glued a high heel magazine add photo and cut it out to make a charm for a shoe page, and freehand cut a bat for this page.

48895 and I have a few of my traded pages here in my gallery (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?c=5&u=259)

Linda4atc
07-12-2010, 02:29 PM
WOW I am still playing on that pony bead site! I am printing most of the patterns to put in my bead box. I love this Uncle Sam!!! http://www.makingfriends.com/ponybead/ponyunclesam.htm

dsign49
07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Linda that is awesome. I printed some out too.

1 Art Lady
07-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Ooo.... I want to try this out too! I am doing my first right now for artathon.... Doing some with a summer theme will be fun! I will try to be here for it! Love all the info everyone is sharing. I have time to look around right now because I am waiting for my bases to dry! LOL!

beeps
07-12-2010, 06:08 PM
i made a few bead charms... will try to remember to take them to scan them. a bee and 3 dragonflies. might try making some small wood ones. they have little precut wood shapes that would be easy to woodburn/glue/stamp images onto. i just got some drill bits also so i might be able to put a hole in for a jump ring!

Linda4atc
07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I couldn't find any photos of the danglies I did for the by sea swap. But I got lots of possitive comments from the people who recieved them. It was an idea I got from Chatty's Goddie bag tags at the CA Gathering.

The supplies are from Michaels. You take a small piece if a fish net, (not the aquarium type :laugh:) I think mine were approx 1 1/2" x 2" give or take, all were different. It is kind of stiff so wet and wring it out to soften it. Then coat it with gel medium and shape it, adding tiny seashells here and there. I shaped mine kind of oval or tear drop shape, allow to dry and re coat as needed. This took me a couple days then I allowed it to dry another couple days to be sure. I also mixed some fine sand (from michaels) into some gel medium and smeared/painted it onto a corner and edge of my backs. Be sure to give lots of drying time and DO NOT place on the binding edges.

HotMamaRama
07-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Okay this has me interested. I saw some chunkies this weekend for the first time and I think Big Mama LIKEY!!! I will lurk until I try one or two and get my feet wet.

beeps
07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
i hope you stay for the thon. chunkies are addictive! i like that you can put stuff on them that are usually "no no" for ATCs... and they are bigger but not too big. i just started making them this month and have 3 or 4 collected already. love them!

i made several bead animals today - dragonflies, bees, and a lizard. not sure how that last one fits in the summertime chunkie plans i have but i might make it work :)

Linda4atc
07-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Beeps, I think lizards work since I've been seeing them all over the property lately. :)

HHC
07-14-2010, 01:14 AM
I hope to have some time to play. Cool that we have a theme, so could end up with several pages for a book.

beeps
07-14-2010, 09:09 AM
okay linda i will put a lizard on a page for you when we trade sometime :) not sure if it fits with the themes you collect (maybe in a :unsure: way) heh heh

HHC i hope you can play. we will have a lot of fun

Penlowe
07-14-2010, 09:53 AM
I suck at this -thon thing. I made 2 yards of cloth paper but have yet to make a single anything to trade.

Oksana
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I will REALLY try to make it! Hopefully, not only A page a day, but more.

Linda4atc
07-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Penlowe you can trade some cloth paper ATC backgrounds....

LOL Beeps I do have some lizard ATC's in my collection but the only way I'd want a lizard on my chunky books is if it fits an ART/Create Theme, I can still add a couple pages to that book. ;)

calluna
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
I suck at this -thon thing. I made 2 yards of cloth paper but have yet to make a single anything to trade.

i feel the same way (minus the creation of cloth paper--jealous!)...though i still love 'em! seeing other people on a creative roll makes me feel good, even though i'm not on such a creative roll myself.

and technically, this thon is still a ways away, so by the time it rolls around you may very well have items ready for trade. :yes: 1 of the chunkies i've been working on during the current ATART is probably ready to trade, but i think i want to hold onto any i make til the chunkyathon in case more inspiration strikes and i can improve them. 1 isn't "chunky" at all yet, and i don't know what to do with it, but i trust that i will, within another couple weeks!

Penlowe
07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I realized I was confusing the two threads I've been following, but meh no harm done. :rolleyes:

beeps
07-15-2010, 09:27 AM
ha ha, i'm gonna put you on the bench penlowe! no, i'll put you at waterloo!!

it looks like there is a lot of interest in the THON, hopefully it will be full of fun chunkies and lots of trades. i hope to make my first book during the THON with the pages I trade for. i'm going to try to get some stuff in order so my muse has something to play with when it comes to "chunk" time :)

let's think of summer themes.... i feel like i could use some more to get my brain going :)
--flowers and birds and bees
--the beach and ocean
--sunshine
--summer outfits (swimsuits, shorts and tanks)

KESagers
07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
How about picnics and grilling out? Um - we have a lot of bugs in the summer time.:huh:

1 Art Lady
07-15-2010, 10:43 AM
The lakes, boating, fishing, sailing.
Motorcycles, the pool, Ice cold beverages...(of my selection!?!) :)
decks, wharfs, running through the sprinkler, drive in movies, going to the cabin, family vacations, road trips,.... I'll keep on thinking....
I just started with these, so I think that it would be awesome to have a little completed book by the end too!

beeps
07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
this is a good list. we will all be making some very creative and fun books!!

maybe i'll do a veggie kabob page. LOL!! YUM now i wanna grill some veggies :)

MorahLaura
07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Fruit! Lemonade, watermelon, pick-your-own raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
Mowing the lawn, wading pools
Frozen drinks......

calluna
07-15-2010, 05:27 PM
sunburns, lightning bugs, baseball, various music (lots of examples came up in a recent thon), cicadas, camping, summer camp, summer solstice, fireworks, occasionally the olympics, fans (handheld or electric), old-fashioned airstream trailers/caravans, dragonflies...

1 Art Lady
07-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Wow this list is getting big! and interesting! How much fun are we all going to have! BTW I just scored at Michael's, the dollar bins, some 4x4 coasters that are going to make great blanks!

beeps
07-15-2010, 09:27 PM
nice! i saw those and thought the same thing :) but i have a bunch i made with cereal boxes.

we have a nice list going. i can't wait. i got a big box of envies and some padded ones for the thicker ones. it is gonna be sweet!

also, as a reminder, chunkies don't have to be chunked out. they can be hand painted/drawn and flat also :)

1 Art Lady
07-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Good to know, thanks!

dsign49
07-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I will have to start preparing by 4x4. I still want to cut more too.

jensaz
07-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Is it the 23rd YET????? I wanna swap and create!!! not necessarily in that order... It's reminding me everyday, living in Arizona, that it's summer time... FREAKIN HOT!!!

Ugh, hope my chunkies don't melt!

1 Art Lady
07-15-2010, 10:14 PM
jensaz, from what I have been following on the news it is FREAKIN HOT!!!
We got a bit of a break to today!

beeps
07-16-2010, 08:46 AM
you could make pages now and trade them... no one is stopping ya! ;) i saw some up in ATART

for the thon, we'll make and swap that weekend. private swaps can start whenevers :) part of me wants to put a list together all MMH style for me to make because i think my work tends to be better when i am making for someone vs. just making. open creating has to hit me or i don't always like what i come up with.

theweavershand
07-18-2010, 04:40 PM
i so want to play in this but we'll have an out of town guest all weekend and I know I wont get to do any art. i'll be watching though to see what you all come up with and get some inspiration. i'm still not happy with the chunkies I'm coming up with. they seem to be lacking something. anyway...have fun!

KESagers
07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
BTW - if a collage-a-thon is at CAT is a chunky-a-thon at CHAT?

ginabee
07-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I like that, Kristin, a CHAT! I'm getting ready with my stuff...still can't find my paper cutter. I'm going to Hobby Lobby on Wednesday so I may buy another one, lol. The Hobby Lobby in my town had their roof cave in last night from too much rain..3" in 1/2 hr. so they are closed.

KESagers
07-19-2010, 02:27 PM
My goodness! I'm glad you didn't wash away in all that rain! We could use more rain but not all at once.

Linda4atc
07-19-2010, 04:16 PM
How about picnics and grilling out? Um - we have a lot of bugs in the summer time.:huh:

which reminds me... sometimes you can find little plastic, bugs, dolphins and animals in toy isles/stores and candy vending machines. If you can drill a hole or wrap a wire they can be added to your dangelies.:idea:

you could make pages now and trade them... no one is stopping ya! ;) i saw some up in ATART

for the thon, we'll make and swap that weekend. private swaps can start whenevers :) part of me wants to put a list together all MMH style for me to make because i think my work tends to be better when i am making for someone vs. just making. open creating has to hit me or i don't always like what i come up with.

Yes My husband wshould be home during the a-thon so I may not get around to doing much. And like i said the books I have are "In the Sea" and on other themes. So if anyone wants to do a private trade pm me...:cool:

I like that, Kristin, a CHAT! I'm getting ready with my stuff...still can't find my paper cutter. I'm going to Hobby Lobby on Wednesday so I may buy another one, lol. The Hobby Lobby in my town had their roof cave in last night from too much rain..3" in 1/2 hr. so they are closed. Ohh gosh Mother Nature has been having a field day lately! Did you all see the next monthly challenge theme is seasons....:D

ginabee
07-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks Kristin and Linda! Linda, I like your idea about using little plastic toys for tying on chunky's.
Whoo hoo!! I found my paper cutter!

Oksana
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
also, as a reminder, chunkies don't have to be chunked out. they can be hand painted/drawn and flat also :)

Yes!Someone mentioned painted/drawn!! Let's make some art, too!:)

beeps
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
yup oksana! i like to make flatter chunkies... easier to mail and keep track of. i do have some glitter for some bling bling

so this chunkython will be starting shortly! yay!! i'll post the main thread for the even sometime early thursday my time to account for those AHEAD of me time wise and to move the party over. i'm hoping the mental "spacy case" i'm having these past few days clears out so i can get my chunky on in a good way.

Oksana
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
I love painted pages and more flat for several reasons. One of them - I like to have more pages in one book. So far I have 4 thiner and 2 thicker pages prepared:lined or collaged backround on one side and white/black gessoed on another, front side. Have way more ideas, than blanck pages, though..:)
Wish everyone to have a special time and to feel inspired during this weekend!

beeps
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
heh heh, i'm having the opposite problem... several blanks and BLANKING on ideas!

i keep seeing a "veggie kabab" in my mind for a page... lol.. that will be funny to do. i might have to just to get it out of my head! or maybe i could make some for dinner... even better!

1 Art Lady
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Still watching and trying.... to get ready!

HHC
07-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Hey, just a heads up, Janjo33 started a social group for chunky page lovers... http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/group.php?groupid=74

Penlowe
07-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Orly? :idea:

Linda4atc
07-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Dang it! I stopped at Michaels today just to get some $1 note card packs for trades and I saw all the cool Summer stuff in the $1 bins. i bought the note cards (big enough for chunky pages if not bulky), Coasters (more chunky) magnets (Summmer chunky embelishments), rubberstamps also summer theme except for the one with the key (I cut off the "new address" words), a part I needed to use the 12 sizzix Dies ($!0), and a jolee goodie bag that is valued at $100 for just $9.99! So instead of the $14 I really needed I spent $40.

Now i have all this summer chunky page stuff..... :D

1 Art Lady
07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Don't you just love a good score!

beeps
07-21-2010, 10:22 AM
see linda you are now sucked in to playing chunky book a thon. you did get some great scores! i find micheals to be hit or miss... they have fab coupons though and a lot of fine art stuff my joanns doesn't carry (mostly open stock primsa markers). you can get the BEST stuff in clearance if you get lucky. i totally stocked up on the 7 for $1 clearance scrapbook paper

i think it should be CBAT - it isn't a chunky thon as much as a book making a thon! i'm excited to try this out. from the looks of things we're going to have a great turn out!

KESagers
07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
CBAT it is!

Linda I want to shop with you!!!!! I'm hoping to get to Michaels tomorrow but I'm not sure I'll score as big as you.

ginabee
07-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Can we have guidelines on mailing our trades such as the MMH/PIF thread "2 week maximum mailing dead line"?

Linda4atc
07-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes I will see if I can some pages done. But I still would really prefer to trade for "In the Sea" themes pages, that is summer....:D

Can we have guidelines on mailing our trades such as the MMH/PIF thread "2 week maximum mailing dead line"?

LOL THere is a timeline, I forgot about that. Unless I have special orders or holding for agreed upon back-to-back a-thons I think I have always mailed by the Friday after a thon. But I have noticed lately a lot of really late mailings taking place in the old threads.:unsure:

1 Art Lady
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Linda4atc, In the sea type pages seem perfectly suited to summer to me! Who knows what some of the folks will do, you might be surprised that some of the will fit in just fine!

beeps
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
yes, i will try to remember to add a 2 weeks or communicate re: mailing things.

now i feel bad, i am still sitting on my last ATART mail. i will work to get those together tonight. sometimes i have days where life just wont happen and today i woke up depressed AND in pain. great. but now i feel somewhat better :) yay drugs!

ginabee
07-21-2010, 04:46 PM
lol beeps...'yay drugs'. know how you feel with my chronic back pain.
Yes, some of my trades from thons are/have been really late...3 weeks and counting..
I will try to do some sea pages!

Linda4atc
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Hugs and healing (no pain) wishes to ya both! And I'll keep an eye out for those in the sea pages... will it be sea critters? strange underwater plants and shells? or mermaids??? :D

beeps
07-21-2010, 05:31 PM
i know i will make you a mermaid page during the thon. been thinking about her!

calluna
07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
i have a mermaid page almost ready, Linda! (:
the Michaels near me seems to have a lot of "fluff"--it's a big store packed with very little that i want (i wouldn't turn down a free shopping spree there, of course). but the main problem with the place is that the manager is a creepy, Mr. Burns-esque character who constantly lurks and glares.

theweavershand
07-21-2010, 05:37 PM
ive got a mermaid in the works too! wont be playing in the a-thon but ill post it when its done and see if maybe we can work out a trade

Linda4atc
07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Oooo I should make some pages now then!!!

Janjo33
07-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I really want to make chunkies this weekend! The Summer theme is way cool. But I'm going to two Nascar races that will cut into my time somewhat.
I will set a goal of making two chunkies though and hope to find some willing traders!

calluna
07-21-2010, 08:51 PM
hmm, maybe you could make some nascar chunkies...
:nah: (lol)

beeps
07-21-2010, 09:04 PM
i picked up some do-dads at joanns today. they have all the jewlery stuff 40% off so the little blings blings and whatnot aren't too bad.

also picked up some wood disks. thinking about making charms with them... we'll see what happens lol

Janjo33
07-21-2010, 10:32 PM
I have posted some of my chunkies on Flickr. They may be good for inspiration.

Janet's Flickr Chunkies (http://www.flickr.com/photos/47346371@N00/sets/72157624555213504/)

1 Art Lady
07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Janjo33 thanks for the inspiration! Nice work! I am still getting ready with blanks and such!

theweavershand
07-22-2010, 12:24 AM
i cant play this weekend but i did get this mermaid chunky done. available for trade if anyone would like it.

jensaz
07-22-2010, 01:08 AM
ALMOST HERE!!!!

Linda4atc
07-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Meeee. She is Mine please!

chaosatlanta
07-22-2010, 07:30 AM
I have posted some of my chunkies on Flickr. They may be good for inspiration.

Janet's Flickr Chunkies (http://www.flickr.com/photos/47346371@N00/sets/72157624555213504/)

I'm looking through your chunkies right now ... wonderful ... I love the different items you used in your dangles!

KESagers
07-22-2010, 08:48 AM
LOL - I knew that mermaid had "Linda" written all over it!:D

ginabee
07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Doin' the happy dance for Linda!

beeps
07-22-2010, 09:35 AM
the official thread is up: http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=745356#post745356

i might have missed something... oye, first time hosting a thon!! please let me know if something is missing or if you have some info that would be helpful to add to the post. if you have examples you would like to post in that thread, feel free to post them!

Pochadiva
07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi All: I'm game for trying this out. I like to try new things so I will enjoy the challenge!

Linda4atc
07-22-2010, 02:57 PM
:unsure: well she hasn't agreed that I can have it yet..... :biglaugh:

theweavershand
07-22-2010, 03:13 PM
oops...sorry...of course it's yours, it was made with you in mind, Linda! so glad you like her!

KESagers
07-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Made it to Michael's today - I think I found some of the same stuff you did Linda but none of the really good deals you got.:skeptical:

I'm hopping over to the official thread now.:D

Oksana
07-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Have my 3 pages done!Working on downloading the images!
I hope to trade it for pages with some drawing/painting involved, not just collaged(paper clippings).
Here they are: in my gallery.

beeps
07-24-2010, 02:27 PM
oksana - we have moved to the "official thread" - http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...356#post745356

people have been into doing requests... a few hand drawn pages are up but there are a few HD peoples over there who might be up for making a page for trades

Oksana
07-24-2010, 02:35 PM
I cannot open that thread, it sends me an error

beeps
07-24-2010, 02:44 PM
curses then... http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16079

i must have messed up the copy/paste. if that doesn't work it is in the same forum with this tread :)