PDA

View Full Version : July Weekend Paint-A-Thon July 16-18th (Fri-Sun)

Evil Seedlet
07-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Welcome to the July Paint-A-Thon!

This is the thread for the July Paint a thon! I thought I'd start it a little early so people can check it out and make sure they can make it!

When: Starting (In your time zone) 12:00 AM Friday July 16 - 11:59 PM (Your Time Zone) Sunday July 18th.

Where: Right here!

What: A Paint-a-Thon! Break out those oils, acrylics, watercolors, tempera/egg paints, watercolor pencils etc for a weekend of hand painted excitement! You can make any kind of art you want, ATC, Bookmark, paper doll, etc as long as it is hand painted by you.

Some Pointers/Rules:

You may use pencil or pen to sketch out your outlines before painting, and those who aren't as good at drawing may use a stamp as their outlines as long as they make an effort to color it in well with paint! The PAINTED aspect of the piece should be more of a factor than the stamped image itself.
Watercolor pencils/crayons/markers are fine as long as you use water along with it to turn it into a painting.
No collage elements or embellishments. You may use patterned papers/sheet music etc as a background, however. Just make sure the painted part of your card is the focus of the piece.
You may use pen or marker to add final touches to your paintings, like outlines, etc. The majority of any shading though should be done with your paints (I.E. try to avoid using pen to crosshatch, etc). Intuitive painting is OK.
All of this said, there is nothing stopping you from adding to your cards after the A-Thon is over. This weekend is just for stretching those painters muscles and coming up with some great hand painted art!
If you want to trade a card you make, mention whether or not is is available in your post so people know!
Have fun! Post your cards in this thread for people to ooh and ahh over. And make sure to get in some great trades!

Post or PM me with any questions or clarifications!

List of Themes/Ideas/Challenges

Use of Color:

Use contrasting colors together like Yellow and Purple, Orange and Blue and Green and Red!
Make a Monochromatic card!
Make a black and white card with no grays!
Try making an earth-toned card.
Use all of the cool colors on one piece. (Purple, green and blue)
Use all of the hot colors on one piece. (Red, orange and Yellow)
Use all the colors of the rainbow together!

Types of art:

ATC!
A flat chunky book page!
Bookmarks! (You can add some ribbon or fibers for the tassel)
Inchies and Twinchies!
Paper dolls!
A canvas painting, big or small!
Paint on a rock or something else from nature!
Paint on a window!
Make a hand painted pinback button!
A ceramic or glass mug or plate!
Paint your nails a crazy way!
Facepaint your kids! (PICTURES!)
Let your kids face paint you! (PICTURES!!)
Paint a mural, even a small one.
Paint a journal or book cover.
Make a purely hand painted page in your art journal or other altered book.
Paint on a mirror!

Subject Ideas:

Recreate a masterpiece, even if it's in a silly or new way!
Paint all of your pets.
Your spouse or SO.
Your kids!
Your favorite animals!
Paint a chimera (a mix of two or more different animals)
Paint a Sunset
A Stillife
Your favorite book or movie character
A mythical figure or creature
Your favorite food
A realistic self portrait
A crazy/whimsical self portrait.
Your dream house
A scene from your dream vacation
An underwater scene
A space scene
Your national/State flag
An animal with clothes on or doing people things.
An African animal.
Something dark and creepy.
An anatomical heart
An Angel
A Demon
A God
The Perfect Cake
A Bicycle
An old Book
A pile of pebbles
A scene from a dream you had.
A flower or bunch of flowers
An insect or spider
The object nearest to you on your desk.
A scene from a song you like
A Tarot Card
Recreate an album cover
Faces with as many different expressions as you can think of.
A friend on ATCsForALL

If you can think of more, post them and I will add them to the list!

Sample Cards

These belong to CIndyjob (Top row) and me (bottom row)

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/4911/medium/1_Scan_100390000.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/4911/medium/1_painted106.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/5124/medium/1_antlers_1.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/5124/medium/1_Hanging_lamp.png

So who's playing? :jiggy:

beeps
07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
holla! i have a loaded plate this weekend but hope to do a few cards. i'm housesitting and there is room for me to do a TON of sewing projects i've been working on!

GALZART
07-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I am NOT a painter, but I'll be here to see what everyone is doing.

KESagers
07-15-2010, 06:33 PM
LOL - Galzart, I am not a painter either but I'm going to see what kind of damage I can do anyway.:rolleyes:

Evil Seedlet
07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Muahaha, Yes Galzart, Join Miss Sagers and make some crazy cards! You could probably at least come up with some neat abstracts. Just pick your favorite colors and go crazy!

GALZART
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Hmmmm, maybe I'll see what I can do to mess up a piece of paper.

beeps
07-15-2010, 09:28 PM
i'm not a good painter either. i can kinda "paint by number" with them. the whole blending, etc, i dont know. i like my markers but i'm up for a challenge :)

Evil Seedlet
07-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Awesome Beeps ^_^ And YAY Galzart. Even if it's just a few pieces, we'd love to have you <3

HHC
07-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Well... I'll work on painting something. It's not my most comfortable medium, but I'm up for a challenge. :D

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Aaaand Ready, Set GO!!

..For me anyway :) I'll make some cards and post them tomorrow ^__^

lunamoth
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm in. Can't resist these A-Thons. They are too much fun. Busy today...will get my watercolor pencils out later.
Can't wait to see the art that gets created....especially from KESagers and GALZART who are talking about damaging and messing up pieces of paper. I'm seeing it work out just fine.

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Woo! Good to have you Lunamoth!

I stayed up too late and as a consequence.. got up too late XD But I'm up now and after some food, it will be Painting Time!

GALZART
07-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Can't wait to see the art that gets created....especially from KESagers and GALZART who are talking about damaging and messing up pieces of paper. I'm seeing it work out just fine.

I've got something drying...whether it will make it here or not is the question of the day.

dsign49
07-16-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm not a painter either so I will just be lurking and enjoying the beautiful art in painting. Besides I really don't own any paint.

calluna
07-16-2010, 12:31 PM
hmm, maybe this thon will be my excuse to finally splurge on a jar of gel medium! i already splurged on some yarn this week, so i probably shouldn't. (:
anyone who hasn't yet, go take a look at katilady's article in Art Trader Magazine on creating textured abstract painting--it'll get those wheels turning!
i'm lousy at wielding a paintbrush, but the sheer act of painting, without concern for how it looks, is therapeutic. even if it's just a wash of one color! i don't know what i'll manage to contribute/finish this weekend, but i will definitely play along in some way.

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
<3 Great to have you calluna, and dsign, make sure to comment on what you like! Ego boosts are always appreciated :)

Tamrantula
07-16-2010, 12:40 PM
I am not a painter, either...

But...I am having a "It's my birthday tomorrow and I am feeling the need to try something new!"....

So, if I get done getting these boys packed for camp, and still have some energy after taking them to see Despicable Me....I think I am going to try to make some kind of mess that resembles SOMETHING! LOL

Penlowe
07-16-2010, 01:06 PM
For those of you who have never tried painting, may I recommend watercolor crayons or pencils? they are really fun because you draw with them, then go over what you've drawn with clear water on a brush and can move, blend & just plain play with paint without the hassle of trays and tubes and so on. :)

Penlowe
07-16-2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-red-line-watercolor-pencils/

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 01:20 PM
*nodnod* Penlowe's right on the money. There are usually some relatively cheap sets in places like Walmart or Hobby Lobby/Michaels, you can just get a kid's set if you are afraid to invest too much. That's what I did when I wanted to try out regular watercolors.

ginabee
07-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm a lurker, too. After just moving last Sunday, none of my craft items are ready, have to unpack them and set up new craft CLOSET, lol. I can't wait to see the art.

KESagers
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Finally got stuff done so I can go paint! By the way is this called a PAT for short?

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 02:10 PM
PAT sounds fine :)

Evalila
07-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Here are my first - and maybe last - cards for today, done in watercolors:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/medium/1_Sunflowers016.jpg Sunflower http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/medium/1_Sunset017.jpg Sunset

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Oo, great cards!

GALZART
07-16-2010, 03:02 PM
And....here is my proof that I can't paint. It's three layers: purple, green, and blue with a rubber cement resist between each layer. I had done it once before and it worked better, but I think I only used two layers of watercolor. This is acrylic. I only have 'Dollar Store Brushes', and that doesn't help. This is the best of three. All will be future backs for stamped/collaged cards.
N/A

GALZART
07-16-2010, 03:05 PM
For those of you who have never tried painting, may I recommend watercolor crayons or pencils? they are really fun because you draw with them, then go over what you've drawn with clear water on a brush and can move, blend & just plain play with paint without the hassle of trays and tubes and so on. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention I can't draw either. My attempt at Watercolor pencils was more of a disaster. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Evelyn, your cards are fantastic!

KESagers
07-16-2010, 03:11 PM
OK so I started off with something familiar - coloring stamped images. My first 2 cards for the Paint-a-thon this weekend. Hand stamped images from Linda4atc. Watercolor pencil "painted" with an aqua brush. I don't know my birds so I'm just choosing any color that strikes my fancy.;)
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_PAT-bird-_2.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_PAT-bird-_1.jpg
Bird #2, Bird #1
Available for trade

Really glad we are allowed to use stamped images as free hand painting is not something I've ever done. However, I will try to try something new this weekend.

KESagers
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Galzart - I really really like those colors! That is going to be a pretty background.

Evalila - Love those strong vivid colors on yours!

GALZART
07-16-2010, 03:15 PM
KESagers- Very nice!

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about with stamped images, making a real effort to color them really well! Great job!

GALZART- Honestly, that's a very nice card! Lots of people like abstracts and you picked some wonderful colors and a great technique!

My first card, plain old acrylic paints on a text sheet. It's for the Antler Folks swap I am in, but it is also hand painted!

Not Avail:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/5124/medium/1_horns_2.jpg

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, if you want to trade your cards mention whether or not they are available for trade in your post!

KESagers
07-16-2010, 04:34 PM
More birds available for trade:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_PAT-bird-_3.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_PAT-bird-_4.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_PAT-bird-_5.jpg
Bird #3, #4, #5

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Tweet Tweet!

Another card for the Antler Folks Swap:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/5124/medium/1_horns_3.jpg

calluna
07-16-2010, 05:29 PM
in addition to how nice those are, Evil Seedlet, i'm in awe of how you can paint on a regular book page without it warping the paper!
here's a couple of tutorials for interesting (and not-difficult!) painting techniques to try:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=301135.0
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14369

Evil Seedlet
07-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Those tutorials are way too cool! I wish I had some masking fluid to try the portrait one!!

As for the warping, I usually cut out the paper and glue it to a piece of cardstock before I start painting, which helps a bit. Even then they usually do warp but I put them under something heavy and flat (like my giant cutting mat and just keep working on top of it) if they won't flatten out on their own after they dry. Seems to work 99% of the time!

KESagers
07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
My last birdies available for trade:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_PAT-bird-_6.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_PAT-bird-_7.jpg
#6, #7,

ginabee
07-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Beautiful paintings! Enjoyed the links, too.

chaosatlanta
07-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Lovely painting going on! I think I will break out some paint & see if I can come up with anything. Maybe I will do some finger painting ... ha-ha.

Theresagram
07-16-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm not a painter either, but I'll be watching.

I've been using my water color pencils all day on some atcs, but they wouldn't fit in here as they are stamped and the stamped images are definitely more of a factor than the painting.

KESagers
07-16-2010, 07:33 PM
This is an idea I saw online a long time ago using this rose stamp. Here is how I created them:

Stamp the image on ultra smooth white cardstock using Versamark clear ink. Heat-emboss with clear powder. Flood the image with a loose watercolor/water combination. The enamel will resist the paint. As you can see the deeper the color the better it looks. I used Angora dried watercolors.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Watercolor-Roses.jpg
L to R:
Pink, Red, Mauve
Yellow, Blue, Purple
I have these marked "traded" in my gallery but if someone wants a particular rose I am happy to trade - otherwise they will probably end up on chunkies.:D

dsign49
07-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Kristin those roses are beautiful.

KESagers
07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks dsign49!

OK so years and years and years ago I got caught watching Donna Dewberry on QVC and couldn't resist buying one of her kits. Well it's sat all these years and I haven't touched it. I opened it tonight and no surprise some of the paints are getting thick. I added water to all of them and hope they reconstitute over night. Read through the book and honestly it looks like fun so I'm going to give it a try tomorrow even if the paints are messed up.:unsure:

beeps
07-16-2010, 09:33 PM
humm... just got in and plan to shower then PAINT!!

trying to talk my lady into joining the thon.... we'll see. she said she needed "computer time" but is reading a magazine instead.

lunamoth
07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I went to a festival today held on a farm so now I am thinking of barnyard animals. Sheep is watercolor pencil and ink. Available

beeps
07-16-2010, 10:59 PM
i did a couple acrylic cards... omg i need more practice (my positive way of saying i suck!). one is a cat... not sure i'll finish it... looks pretty bad. the other is "a fuzzy boulder" according to my girlfriend, a BEAR according to me. i'll post tomorrow after it dries.

i went on a hunt for my watercolor pencils... failed to find them. shesh, only so many places things can be. but i found a bunch of other stuff :)

calluna
07-16-2010, 11:08 PM
ES - rubber cement definitely works (i am told)!
my rubber cement dried up (unusable, but fun to play with for a few minutes), and i've never used masking fluid, so i may go use my Michael's coupon on one of those...
on an entirely unrelated note, i just ate 1.5 lbs of yogurt while reading through this and other threads.:elvis:

KESagers
07-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Was it frozen yogurt? Yum!

Almost midnight here so I'm off to bed. Psyching myself up for this one-stroke business tomorrow - we'll see if I'm any good at it.:eek:

Evil Seedlet
07-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I don't have any rubber cement either u_u though it is gettable. Will have to plan for it >_>

So.. much.. yogurt! lol

GALZART
07-17-2010, 08:00 AM
WARNING: This is not a paint related item..but something to keep in mind.
I have always let all my work air dry. The other night in an attempt to get my last card in the Mid-Week Athon, I decided to Heat dry it.

The card was made with some old (name unknown) stamp daubers. I added some Gesso on the cards and then Stamped with Stazon ink. The card was attached to a backing with UHU glue.

After a few seconds of use of the heat gun on this...the entire room was filled with terrible fumes. Being Asthmatic, I turned on fans and cranked the A/C...and was having mild breathing issues. It was late at night and I didn't feel comfortable leaving doors open.

The A/C and fans ran all night and the house was pretty much cleared in the morning...at which time I did open doors to get some fresh air in here.

Since there's no way of knowing which of the products reacted to the heat, I guess we should only heat dry in a well ventilated area (or get a long extension cord and do it outside).

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this? Or have you heat dried any of the above products with no problems?

teri
07-17-2010, 08:22 AM
I hope to participate sometime this weekend. We shall see what the fam wants from me today. Hopefully they have low expectations...LOL

Penlowe
07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks dsign49!

OK so years and years and years ago I got caught watching Donna Dewberry on QVC and couldn't resist buying one of her kits. Well it's sat all these years and I haven't touched it. I opened it tonight and no surprise some of the paints are getting thick. I added water to all of them and hope they reconstitute over night. Read through the book and honestly it looks like fun so I'm going to give it a try tomorrow even if the paints are messed up.:unsure:

Most watercolor paints can be reconstituted even from completely bone dry as long as whatever they were in hasn't affected the nature of the paint. I got my Nanas paints about a year ago, but she hadn't painted in at least three years. She was so tidy she wrote the purchase date on the tubes :eek: I have watercolor paints- that I am using without problems- from 1985! :laugh:

The tube paints that completely dried out I cut open the bottom end of the tube with an exacto & cut out a chunk of dry paint & left it in my mixing tray.

KESagers
07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Penlowe - that's good to know! Thanks for the tip about cutting the bottom end of the tube - I never would have thought of that. :)

Galzart- it's hard to know what product or products caused the most problem for you. I'm always leery of using my heat gun with anything that has glue or adhesive and a lot of paints scortch very easily. There is a technique where you actually burn tyvek to create this lacy sort of remnant - I haven't tried it yet but decided that when I do I'll do it outside. My best solution for drying most things faster is a regular old fan. I hope you are doing OK today! I have Asthma also and I know how careful we have to be. Our Ozone reading is bad again so I'm stuck inside until it clears - good thing there is a marathon this weekend.

Penlowe
07-17-2010, 11:16 AM
As was discussed in the other place you posted this, the glue is the prime suspect in those fumes.

GALZART
07-17-2010, 11:30 AM
As was discussed in the other place you posted this, the glue is the prime suspect in those fumes.

Thanks, I hadn't seen the other Thread...just read it.

KESagersIt's fans and FL heat from now on for me. I'm feeling better today. But that was a nasty event for my lungs.

HHC
07-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Those tutorials are way too cool! I wish I had some masking fluid to try the portrait one!!

As for the warping, I usually cut out the paper and glue it to a piece of cardstock before I start painting, which helps a bit. Even then they usually do warp but I put them under something heavy and flat (like my giant cutting mat and just keep working on top of it) if they won't flatten out on their own after they dry. Seems to work 99% of the time!

I love the look of the portraits on text... what type of paint are you using?

HHC
07-17-2010, 11:36 AM
WARNING: This is not a paint related item..but something to keep in mind.
I have always let all my work air dry. The other night in an attempt to get my last card in the Mid-Week Athon, I decided to Heat dry it.

The card was made with some old (name unknown) stamp daubers. I added some Gesso on the cards and then Stamped with Stazon ink. The card was attached to a backing with UHU glue.

After a few seconds of use of the heat gun on this...the entire room was filled with terrible fumes. Being Asthmatic, I turned on fans and cranked the A/C...and was having mild breathing issues. It was late at night and I didn't feel comfortable leaving doors open....
Has anyone else ever had a problem like this? Or have you heat dried any of the above products with no problems?

I've done the Gesso, Stazon and UHU without incident. Perhaps it was just the combination... I'm glad you're doing okay. That's a bit scary!

HHC
07-17-2010, 11:38 AM
I hope to play a bit today... but need to get a few errands done first. Need to make the most of my day off.

Evil Seedlet
07-17-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm back and ready for some painting! I have a little painting project to do for Etsy today, and I'll be alone all day (-_-;; ) So paainntinng is a go!

RobbyGirl
07-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm hoping to find a little time to join in and paint this weekend :)

GALZART
07-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I've done the Gesso, Stazon and UHU without incident. Perhaps it was just the combination... I'm glad you're doing okay. That's a bit scary!

There is still the one unknown ink.
It was a set of daubers (stamping ink). They were expensive, but not practical. They were round and had sponges on each end (2 colors per dauber). When the sponges started falling out, I just used them up on some on multicolor backgrounds then tossed the daubers into the circular file. It could have been something in those inks too.
Yes, it was scary. I would have liked to open all the doors and windows for the night...but that couldn't happen. All is OK now.

ginabee
07-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Kristin and Lunamoth, beautiful painting! I hear you about fumes, Galzart. I've been wheezy with the painting and wood dust in my new house.

KESagers
07-17-2010, 01:58 PM
So . . .I'm finding that I can do the petals without too much trouble but when I try to do the whole flower I flake. I know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to stop myself. I'll upload my best attemp when I'm done.

dsign49
07-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Can't wait to see it. I know it is not as bad as you say.

lunamoth
07-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi all,
Here is my afternoon painting...Bird with swirls. It is watercolor pencil, ink and a swirly stamp that I inked and painted over. Available

GALZART-glad that you're over the fumes incident

GALZART
07-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi all,
Here is my afternoon painting...Bird with swirls. It is watercolor pencil, ink and a swirly stamp that I inked and painted over. Available

GALZART-glad that you're over the fumes incident

Thank you, I had forgotten that ART could be hazardous to your health!

Evil Seedlet
07-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Cute bird! I love those colors!

I haven't done any major paintings in months, and so for the A Thon I decided to change that. Here's a live video of me painting a (Bad) reproduction of William-Adolphe Bouguereau's The Difficult Lesson. It will probably take a million years so check back now and then if you find it a bit boring to watch for more than a few minutes (most people do XD)

http://www.stickam.com/evilseedlet

KESagers
07-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Today for the PAT I dug out my One Stroke kit and gave it a whirl. This is my version of one stroke ATC backgrounds.:twitcy:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_backgrounds.jpg

KESagers
07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Practicing leaves. Made a bunch of leaf ATCs. They will probably become bacgrounds for future collages. These aren't very good but if anyone needs a leaf background I can hook you up - I have a ton of these.:twitcy:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Leaves.jpg

KESagers
07-17-2010, 05:08 PM
My attempt at rose buds.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_rose-bud-twinchies.jpg
Rose Bud twinchies - available

KESagers
07-17-2010, 05:24 PM
This are some of my best attempts for the day. I need to practice, practice, practice. Made a lot of mistakes but had fun anyway. Don't think I'll ever be as good as the Donna but I'll keep at it. I'm not sure how chunky I'll make these but they definitely need some extra panosh.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Pink-Flower-chunky.jpg
Pink Flower chunky - available

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Pink-Flower-w-Bud-chunky.jpg
Pink Flower with Bud chunky - available

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_One-Stroke-Roses.jpg
One Stroke Roses - not available

KESagers
07-17-2010, 05:33 PM
BTW - Seedlet - am I really watching you live? Too cool!!!!!!:notworthy:

Penlowe
07-17-2010, 05:41 PM
KESagers those are GORGEOUS!!!!

KESagers
07-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Thank you Penlowe!

calluna
07-17-2010, 06:54 PM
holy wow!!! and you hadn't done this before?! honestly, amazing! when my mom bought her house, there were lots of floral murals painted on the walls--for which the previous owner had a professional muralist/decorating person LOTS of money--in this style, and yours are just as good if not better!

(btw- an idea for making them chunky - make a color copy the same size, cut out the empty space on the original, and layer the original on top with foam mounting dots/squares)

Evil Seedlet
07-17-2010, 07:09 PM
those flowers are beautiful ) Awesome job! *still painting, lol*

GALZART
07-17-2010, 07:09 PM
KESagers....those are fantastic!

KESagers
07-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone! Calluna - that is a great idea! Thanks for the tip.

A bit of brain drain after stepping so far outside my comfort zone so I had to do something digital but I'm thinking I may take one of those simple pictures I just printed and see if it's something I can paint.:swoon:

KESagers
07-17-2010, 09:09 PM
My feeble attemp at painting one of my dad's pictures. His is on the left mine is on the right.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Beachfront.jpg

I did however, discover that mine improves a bit with some funky special effects in photoshop.;)

KESagers
07-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Seedlet - I've been watching you paint and it's really amazing to see your painting come to life. Thanks for sharing the link!

Evil Seedlet
07-17-2010, 09:32 PM
:) No problem. I WAS recording it but the computer shut off for no reason and I lost so much I didn't even bother starting the recording again :( It's nice that at least a few people get to see what happens as it goes along.

Your copy is pretty good! You got the angle down and everything :)

beeps
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
i'm gonna try to get to painting tonight. wanted to use my wc pencils... can't find them anywhere. debating is markers and water count (ha ha, just kiddin). i have a couple sets of watercolors i will work with. need to cut some watercolor blanks. let's see if tonight is more productive than last night

calluna
07-18-2010, 06:05 AM
i played with paint, but didn't finish anything...just did some backgrounds, tinkered with a couple altered book projects and started experimenting with the negative-space trees.

Evil Seedlet
07-18-2010, 08:55 AM
:) Gotta help a friend move for a few hours, but I'll be back to finish my reproduction and hopefully get some more cards done

RobbyGirl
07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Yay I finally painted something this weekend. This is a 5 X 7 Journal page. Painted with Alcohol Ink and Watercolor.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3883/small/1_City_Rising_Finished.jpg (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=165164) City Rising

GALZART
07-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Very nice, Robin!

lunamoth
07-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Roddygirl...nice city rising....I like all the little windows

KESagers
07-18-2010, 02:25 PM
RobbyGirl - really wonderful combination of mediums!

Evil Seedlet
07-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Nice job!

KESagers
07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
This was so much fun to try new things this weekend! Thanks to our hostess for hosting! It was so cool to watch you paint - one of the best parts of this marathon. Hope everyone has a good week ahead of them.

beeps
07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
i got two things done. need to scan. feeling lazy

Just Ducky
07-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Kristin... is there anything that you CAn't do ????
dang it, I really tried watercolor today... even my waste basket didn't want it...:(

I can draw ... some... but this watercolor ??? nope... even pencils not easy for me...
guess I had better stay with collage... my comfort zone...

I just might check our local comm. art store for a lesson or two, this fall...

beeps
07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
ducky, i favor watercolor pencils for these things. i feel like with wet paint i can't make it do what i wants.... love my markers though!

lunamoth
07-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for hosting, Evil Seedlet. I didn't get much painted this weekend but had fun following the thread and looking at the posted paintings

GALZART
07-18-2010, 11:39 PM
EvilSeedlet--Thank you for hosting! I've put the paints away...far, far away!

Evil Seedlet
07-19-2010, 12:56 AM
:) No problem guys. i'm glad I could pull a few people out of their comfort zones, even if you didn't like the results it's still fun to try something new now and then :)

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to today, mostly because the friend we helped move kept wanting more and more done, and then her friends wanted to show us stuff. blah. I DID however finish the painting I was working on in the video, I'll post it tomorrow when the sun's out and I can get a few nice pictures :)

calluna
07-19-2010, 01:34 AM
thanks from me as well! i flung some paint around (okay, i didn't fling, but i did flick!), and it was good to direct my consciousness to my oft-neglected paint supplies and take inventory of what i have. the one thing that baffles me, though, is where this weekend went! i think i slept through half of it.

beeps
07-19-2010, 08:52 AM
here is my output from this weekend and last night. yay! the cat isn't done... not sure if i'll finish but if you like what is started i'll put in some acrylics time to wrap him up.

the landscape with the "fuzzy boulder" is actually a bear. most are watercolor pencils. picked up a set of prismacolor ones... micheals has 40% fine art stuff AND prismacolor has a $10 rebate going so... yeah.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/baypuppy/SCAN0149.jpg

beeps
07-19-2010, 08:53 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/baypuppy/SCAN0148.jpg

the one doesn't want to seem to show up for me, despite the code being right. let's try this

Penlowe
07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I knew it was a bear without being told :)

beeps
07-19-2010, 12:24 PM
good! i was like BEAR and i was pretty happy and i showed my gf and i was like "ohh look!" and she was like, is that a fuzzy boulder?

*head desk* ha ha ha it might be my best acrylic attempt to date :)

Evil Seedlet
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I really like the Giraffe and the hand! Great job Beeps! Keep playing with the acrylics, you can only get better with practice ;)

Ok, I tried to get some good pics of the painting but my camera sucks. Bigtime. I cannot wait until we get a new one. So I tried to scan the painting in 2 pieces and put them together in Photoshop. My scanner isn't too awesome either so things came out way darker than they should be. I lightened them up but it's still not as even-toned as it is in real life, but it's not bad, Aaand here ya go:

KESagers
07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Beeps - your ATCs are really great! Can't wait to see the cat when it is finished.

Seedlet that is so wonderful! I can't stop looking at the expression in her face. Thanks so much for letting us look over your shoulder and for sharing the finished art. If you do another paint-a-thon I hope I can play.

Evil Seedlet
07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
:) If you like it, you should check out the original and anything else by William-Adolphe Bouguereau. Quite a few female nudes so be warned :) But they are just beautiful.

http://www.goodart.org/artofwb.htm

KESagers
07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Oh wow! Could get lost all day in an exhibit of his work. Have you seen any in real life?

Evil Seedlet
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
No T_T I haven't been to a museum in ages. I would love love love to though :)