PDA

View Full Version : starting a live group

rothko
02-28-2008, 04:51 PM
so i've sorta been thinking about starting a live trading group, probably through meetup.com (even though i totally hate them). i'm not entirely sure how to get started, though. have any of you started a group, and what did you do that helped it get off the ground?

thanks ;)

anonevyl
02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey Rothko! I started a live group. I probably had more of an advantage than most because I have a gallery and a bunch of artists at my disposal who I can pitch the idea to.

I am currently writing an ongoing article about such a thing in the Art Trader ezine.

http://www.arttradermag.com/

Don't know if you've seen it yet, but my first article sort of deals with starting a group. The next article will be how to talk up ATCs to people who have no idea what your talking about, like other artists. They are the harder ones sometimes, esp. if they're selling. They often feel like it's a waste of time and effort when they could be making art to make money.

The only advice I can give you when faced with people like that is that it's a way to keep creative and inspired - the ATCs you make can become potential larger works that can be sold. Also show them some of your traded cards - make a little mini gallery that you can display to potential members. It works a lot like crack.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

MistiKo
02-28-2008, 10:11 PM
This might be more than you want to take on, but I first learned of ATCs when a local gallery had an ATC show. There were probably thousands of them on display. There are now three live groups scattered around the Vancouver area now, and I would guess that show is part of the reason.

bluehills
03-17-2008, 07:36 PM
I actually did use Meetup.com to start my group, and I like it pretty well. (I liked it better when it was free, but group members now share the cost.)

Meetup provides an easy way for people to find us, since we're not affiliated with a store or gallery or museum or other local organization that might drive members our way. A few of us might have eventually met each other here--but I actually found out about ATCards/ATCsforAll through the live Meetup group, rather than the other way around.

And I like Meetup's meeting-management tools, particularly the RSVP function. We had some trouble early on with no-shows, but we've since set some new ground rules, people have been pretty good about letting us know whether and when they'll attend.

I'm sure there are other equally useful tools -- but Meetup works fine for me. The overall group has grown from 3 to 45 members in less than a year; we average about 15-18 at our gatherings.

Here we are:

http://artisttradingcards.meetup.com/162