PDA

View Full Version : Found Poetry-A-Thon Coming Labor Day Weekend!

RobbyGirl
08-22-2010, 02:32 PM
It's a Labor Day Weekend Found Poetry-a-thon

Scheduled Sep. 3-Sep. 6 Hosted by RobbyGirl.

A marathon weekend to “get together” virtually and create Found Poetry. Everyone will participate over the same days and times in each time zone . . . kind of like we were all together for the weekend to play with our art supplies!

Start time (in your time zone) 12:00am on Friday Sep 3rd, 2010. (Because I'm never patient enough to start at noon like the other a-thons...LOL
End time (in your time zone) 11:59 pm Monday, Sep 6th, 2010

Post your cards to the thread and the gallery as you create them. You can trade them or just share them with the group, whatever your inclination.
EVERYONE is welcome to come play/visit.

What Is Found Poetry? To create a “Found” poem, begin with a page of text. This can be a page in a book, an advertisement, brochure, flyer, or anything that’s written text. For this “a-thon” we are working from one page for each poem.

Read through the page you will be working from (must be something you are willing to cut up) and choose words to create your poem or offbeat verse. If you’ve ever played with a magnetic poetry set then you get the concept!
After you’ve chosen your words, cut them out and with your best attempt at keeping them grammatically correct (you can steal letters from other words if you need to add endings such as “s”, “es” or “ing.”)

After you’ve assembled your poem you will collage it to the ATC card you are creating. The card can be collaged, hand drawn, painted, digital or Mixed Media just so long as your found poem is collaged onto the art. Some people like to create their art first then find the words and some prefer to “write” the poem then create the art to accompany it.

Another fun form of Found Poetry is Blackout Poetry. Choose a paragraph to work from that will fit your ATC then black out (paint over) the words you won’t be using to create your poem. Below are some examples of both types of found poetry.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions in the thread we will do our best to answer them. Have fun, this is low pressure; we aren’t looking for Robert Frost here!

a teacher's link explaining found poetry

wikipedia's "found poetry" entry

a found poetry blog at wordpress

karenswhimsy.com

HHC has graciously "lent" us the following info, too!

JUST WHAT IS THIS ART-A-THON?
It’s a marathon create-your-favorite-art weekend, done over the same day and time in each time zone.
It’s kind of like we were all together for the weekend to play with our art supplies and this thread is our play room.
HOW IT WORKS: During the prescribed time of play (your own time zone) start creating art, then upload your lovely creations to your gallery and post to the thread. Continue throughout the weekend. Trading and chatting ensues. At 11:59 on Monday, May 31st you’re done creating art… however you may continue to chat and trade as long as you like. Also you can post any pieces that aren’t dry at the prescribed time as long as they were completed within the time frame.

ARE YOU NEW TO A-THONS?
If you have any questions at all, feel free to pm RobbyGirl, or post your questions to the thread. We have a lot of experienced art-a-thoners who are more than willing to help those of you new to this craziness.

HOW TO ASK FOR A TRADE: When you find a piece of art you must have, please SEND A PERSONAL MESSAGE (pm) to that person asking for a trade. Please DO NOT post requests for trades to the thread. It can get way too confusing.

Note: If you do make a trade, please be sure to send to your trade partner within two weeks. If you’re running late, communicate!

WANT TO COMPLIMENT AN ARTIST: And you will… remember you can click the You Rock button and leave it there.

HOW TO POST YOUR ART TO THE THREAD:
From your atcsforall.com gallery: It’s easiest to have two windows open. I can create another "tab" and get to my gallery in one and be in my post reply box in the other.
1) Go to your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu that includes “Copy Image Location”.
2) Click on the “Copy Image Location”
3) Go to your post and hit the "insert image" button (looks like a postcard)
4) Paste the address (right click, click paste or Ctrl P) into the window that pops up and hit OK - that puts the code into your post for your picture to show up; (you paste the address from the properties box over the http thingy that shows when you open the "insert image" box)
5) and then you're done.

[IMG]http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/400/small/1_SAT_Autumn_Redwing.jpg[/IMG

(leaving the last bracket off the above so you can see how the address will look)

Remember that images from the gallery can be small, medium or large. Find the word small, medium or large or letters s m l in the address and change it to size you want.

From your computer:
1. Click POST REPLY at the bottom of the messages screen. Above the message box, click the paperclip next to the smiley face. Then upload as usual. This will upload your picture as a thumbnail.
2. If you go into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the messages screen, click GO ADVANCED and you will get the paperclip above the message box.

From a flickr or photobucket account:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2115

WHO WANTS TO PLAY?!?

KESagers
08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Count me in!

jensaz
08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
ME OH ME, I WANNA PLAY..

Is this just for ATC's or all forms??

dina54
08-22-2010, 07:27 PM
I may be able to play on Monday, unfortunately I am working Friday and Saturday all night, and sleeping (hopefully) all day Sunday!

HHC
08-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I hope to have a bit of time to play. :)

poeticpaper
08-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Yay! So sad I was too busy to play in the CAT this weekend. I'm looking forward to this for sure!!

RobbyGirl
08-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Looking forward to seeing you all there! If anyone international wants to play and wants/needs English text please PM me, I'd be happy to mail some before the event!

Theresagram
08-23-2010, 12:06 PM
This looks like fun! Hope I'll have time!

sniisk
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
You couldn't choose better weekend! I'm visiting my mom next weekend and we are having the artfest the weekend after this FPAT :).

sniisk
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
And I have the text pages I got from so many players after the previous FPAT :yes:.

Gina-B
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I am REALLY going to try to take part - I've been wanting to try found poetry for ages.

Just Ducky
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
oh... super.. did your last "Found" weekend.. I can start reading and digging now.. it will take me time fer this... :geek: beam me up scotty...

lkastello
08-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I'll be a player girl on Friday!!!

HHC
08-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Good idea, Ducky, to start finding phrases now. That would come under the plan ahead category.... LOL!

RobbyGirl
08-23-2010, 09:29 PM
JenAZ any size you want is fine for creating and trading :)

Yes finding pages with lots of good words on them is always an excellent start!

HHC
08-28-2010, 10:24 AM
I've found several pages with good words and phrases so am nearly ready to go... it's less than a week now. :)

andyaly
08-28-2010, 11:31 AM
I'd love to take part in this--I haven't tried found poetry atcs yet! I don't think I'll be able to commit to the whole weekend, but I'll try for at least part of it!

RobbyGirl
08-28-2010, 11:39 AM
A question, I found a lot of 'quotes and sayings' on the web, can I use them in this a-thon? great-inspirational-quotes.com is where I found them.

Linnes when creating Found Poetry we are creating original poems instead of using someone else's phrases, it would work if you printed out a page of the online quotes and then cut out individual words from them to reconstruct them into a poem :)

RobbyGirl
08-28-2010, 11:40 AM
andaly, no time commitment required :) You can drop in and out throughout the weekend and play as time is available to you. If you have 1 hour or 20 it doesn't matter. Hope to see you!

theweavershand
08-28-2010, 05:51 PM
woohoo! count me in!

ginabee
08-29-2010, 07:50 AM
I'd like to give this a whirl. Jensaz, I'm stuck on 4x4 chunky's.....

lkastello
08-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Found poetry rocks almost as much as our host!!!

jensaz
08-29-2010, 11:51 PM
I'd like to give this a whirl. Jensaz, I'm stuck on 4x4 chunky's.....

Me too... I love the flexibility and texture and more space to play...

calluna
08-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Found poetry rocks almost as much as our host!!!

almost! :yes:

I'm going to try to work myself out of a job before that weekend (I have 8 more cases to complete in order to finish the job) so I can spend the whole weekend making art (and applying for new employment). This is a technique I haven't really done before (with any success), so I'm looking forward to it!

Pochadiva
08-30-2010, 07:09 PM
This will be another challenge. I should be able to post a few during the three days. I have some other commitments but I can probably work a few things in for the fun of it. You are right....Robert Frost I'm not but I love challenges.

dsign49
08-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I hope to play some. We do have busy weekend.

winterchild
08-30-2010, 09:09 PM
I really want to play :) Poetry is my thing......!

GoldenWolf
09-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I will be at my BF's this weekend and my craft room there only has the bare basics so I will try to pack up enough goodies so that I can try to participate at some point.

RobbyGirl
09-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Looks like a party!:yes:

Gina-B
09-01-2010, 12:49 PM
my craft room there
One smart artist! a craft room in every location, way to go!

lunamoth
09-01-2010, 02:14 PM
This looks like it will be so much fun...I like A-Thons and have wanted to try found poetry....BUT I'll be away the whole time. All you A-Thoners have fun. I'll check the thread when I get back.

RobbyGirl
09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Here is the official Thread for the FPAT Weekend

Labor Day FPAT Weekend (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=774729#post774729)

calluna
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Fortunately this is one technique you can take with you when you travel, as long as you have a little sealable baggie or maybe an Altoids tin to keep all your words/phrases in. And a space to work in which there is no breeze/draft blowing through! (I learned that one the hard way!)

GoldenWolf
09-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Fortunately this is one technique you can take with you when you travel, as long as you have a little sealable baggie or maybe an Altoids tin to keep all your words/phrases in. And a space to work in which there is no breeze/draft blowing through! (I learned that one the hard way!)

Thanks for the tip! Now let me turn off the ceiling fan lol. :laugh:

Pochadiva
09-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm happy that I actually created something sort of foreign to myself called: "Mariner's Ode".

sniisk
09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Pochadiva, I think this is not the official thread, we are here :):
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16600

RobbyGirl
09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
The link to the official thread is at Post#33 (my special number of course.) Also in my signature line.

PLEASE JOIN US AT THE OFFICIAL THREAD FOR TODAY"S FPAT!