PDA

View Full Version : next chunky thon?

beeps
10-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey gang!

Let's start talking about our next chunky thon. The last one with "summer" theme worked well and I am thinking we can either do another broad theme (like fall/winter) or have a combination of making/posting pages up for trade AND private trades facilitated though the weekend (like we post ads, make arrangements and the pages over the weekend).

This semester is kicking my behind with work - I am looking at mid Dec for a thon if I am hosting it! If people want to do one sooner and someone else wants to host, that's cool too :)

I'm looking at Dec 10-12 or maybe new years weekend?

give me some ideas and feedback! i just made some pages for a private trade and got my chunky bug back :)

sniisk
10-09-2010, 03:43 AM
I don't think people will be much here around the New Year weekend. I don't know how it is in USA but at least in Europe most of us are having too many parties and relatives and friends visiting us then :).

In the middle of December, is it already too busy Christmas time? Not fot me but how about you other players? Last year we didn't have any a-thon in Dec just because there wasn't many players having time then. Just my opinion :).

I would suggest November or January (can we wait so long :twitcy:).

dsign49
10-09-2010, 07:12 AM
How about the middle of November?

beeps
10-10-2010, 11:15 AM
mid nov could work. there are holidays here. i forget that people travel and whatnot cause i stay home and do NOTHING!!

during the semester is tricky for me, lots of work and stuff. what about the weekend before thanksgiving (US)?

sniisk
10-10-2010, 11:20 AM
When is the thanksgiving day?

1 Art Lady
10-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Mid November might work for me. Thanksgiving is November 25th, in the states.

beeps
10-11-2010, 07:10 PM
so nov 19 - 22 would work? (or round about those days)

smokeysmom
10-11-2010, 10:15 PM
How about after New Year, like maybe the second week in January ? I'm so in to chunkies right now but don't want to take on any more projects til after the New Year (unless they're very manageable, LOL)

Theresagram
10-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Oooh. Sounds like fun! A fall/winter one would be cool. I don't have my schedule for Nov or Dec yet so I can't comment on a date.

But we always stay in for New Years.

sniisk
10-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Why not one in Nov and one in Jan :) ? Nov 19-22 sounds good. And January is great too. We have a holiday on 6th and I could make it on Jan 6-9 :).

beeps
10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
win win! two thons planned in one thread. that is a goooood idea sanna! i can host nov and you can host jan :) we can never go wrong with too many chunkie thons.

the NOV one will be "winter holidays and wish list" themed. open making/trading holiday/winter themed pages (since many collect) but i will also ask people to put up their "wish lists" (themes they collect) to arrange private trades to do over the weekend. it will be a nice period of everyone making pages. we can see how that goes... still getting a feel for how to best work chunkythons :)

ginabee
10-12-2010, 08:34 PM
win win! two thons planned in one thread. that is a goooood idea sanna! i can host nov and you can host jan :) we can never go wrong with too many chunkie thons.

the NOV one will be "winter holidays and wish list" themed. open making/trading holiday/winter themed pages (since many collect) but i will also ask people to put up their "wish lists" (themes they collect) to arrange private trades to do over the weekend. it will be a nice period of everyone making pages. we can see how that goes... still getting a feel for how to best work chunkythons :)

This works for me! I'm gearing up for Christmas chunkies and other themes of chunkies. Just got new stuff to play with, today.

beeps
10-12-2010, 09:28 PM
ohhh new stuff! i have a good amount of holiday stuff.... no clue why... not much of a holiday person. i guess little snowman stamps are just cute!

sniisk
10-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Sounds good!

1 Art Lady
10-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Sounds good to me to! I loved the summer one so much and have a fun little book from it! I will look forward to maybe getting another one under way! Hmmm, themes? I am not sure at this time, but I will probably do some winter and holiday themed ones....

KESagers
10-13-2010, 12:54 PM
After New Year's in January is great for me! November and December are almost impossible - whatever you plan I'd try to play but we actually start celebrating Thanksgiving the weekend before so that long distance relatives don't have to drive on the dreaded busiest day of the year.

sniisk
10-13-2010, 01:28 PM
The dates are now in the Calendar of Scheduled Media-A-Thons.

smokeysmom
10-18-2010, 02:58 PM
My Thanksgiving plans have changed, so I'm available the 19th-22nd:) Any day actually except for Thanksgiving Day:) Themes I collect:

Christmas-themed
Asian
Zetti
Funky Birds
Fairy Godmothers, and, if anyone's interested, I have a chunky book of Arches (4x6, arched at the top) in artist's choice that I'd love to add to:)

smokeysmom
10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm also "in" for the January chunk-a-thon with sniisk:) Let me know if any of the dates change.

beeps
10-18-2010, 08:49 PM
looks like we will be having a fun chunkython!

sniisk
10-19-2010, 01:47 AM
I hope that the dates won't be changed because both dates are in the Calendar of Scheduled Media-A-Thons :).

beeps
10-19-2010, 09:32 PM
the nov one won't change... i am looking forward to it and have it in my planner. sanna i'm gonna make you a pink birdie page that weekend like the one you liked!

jensaz
10-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm gonna try!

sniisk
10-20-2010, 01:52 AM
sanna i'm gonna make you a pink birdie page that weekend like the one you liked!

I can't wait to see it :).

laura.kathryn
10-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm in for this. :) I have chunky book fever!

theweavershand
10-25-2010, 08:09 PM
ill see what i can come up with. still love the size of the chunky page but really struggle with making it chunky. not at all comfortable with what ive come up with to date. maybe i just need more practice. :)

KESagers
10-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Looks like our holiday plans have changed and I should be able to play after all. Yippee!

beeps
10-25-2010, 11:15 PM
usually for any THON you just MAKE MAKE MAKE stuff on the theme of the thon (some are object themed, like birds, or method themed, like collage or whatever).

for the chunky thons, the first we did was on a "summertime" theme but other pages were welcomed. because people usually collect books, we have been doing seasonalish themes but people also arrange and make trades for people over the weekend. so someone might like a page i make but i collect A B C themes so they might say "i'll make you one on your theme for the page you made."

no super tight rules about it... at least when i run the ship :) but you cant make finished pages before the THON starts. the idea is we all create together!

ginabee
10-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm cutting chunky boards, backgrounds, assembling goodies....practicing....can't wait!

sniisk
10-29-2010, 01:45 AM
I try to do some preparing work on weekend too :).

smokeysmom
10-30-2010, 10:01 PM
I just don't want to be tied to my computer answering trade requests while I'm trying to create chunky pages, or do we PM one another with trade requests before the art gets posted? Sorry, this will be my first chunky-a-thon, so I'm still unclear as to how we create and trade at the same time. Could someone please enlighten me?

sniisk
10-31-2010, 03:00 AM
Usually we only create and and post cards here. And we send trade requests after that if there is something we want. But, chunky pages are quite theme related and it can be good to tell first what types of pages you are collecting and we others know what to make.

beeps
10-31-2010, 10:01 AM
i think that arranging a couple theme trades before starting is a good idea, esp if you have more specific themes people might not make otherwise. many collect holiday themes, cats are common. one PROBLEM i read about with a previous thon (before i started here) is that people said they would make pages for other's specific themes but then they wouldn't get traded (i.e. the person didn't notice or didn't offer to trade) so they had made a lot of stuff that didn't trade.

another option we did for the last CBThon is people made pages on the summer theme but would traded and the partner would request something special and those got worked into what you were making.

perhaps next week or as we get closer everyone can post their themes and i'll go though looking for "Themes" in them that would make a good "i want to make something someone will want for their book" list (Halloween is big for this time of year). then we can kinda go from there.

sorry if that is rambles. just don't want people to make things for someone and then OOPS they don't wanna trade.

RobbyGirl
10-31-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm planning on playing :) I haven't had time to read through the thread completely but I think it would be lovely if we had a broad theme and if we each also had a chunky classified listed in our signature line that people could access in order to do more personalized theme pages too!

beeps
10-31-2010, 02:33 PM
i'm glad we are discussing how to run chunky thons - there are specific issues re: people collecting themes for their books that can make them a little more "ohhhh" than a regular topic or method thon. sanna and i are talking a bit about how to pull these together so they work well for the different interests people have. here are my thoughts to date - let me know what you think.

1) we'll pull up some seasonal/common themes that several players collect. this will allow those who "just wanna make pages!" to have fun making pages that are on a popular theme that SOMEONE will want to trade for!

2) we'll post in the first thread players who collect special themes for those interested in arranging private trades or looking for other themes people tend to collect.

3) (NEW IDEA) we can also run a MMH "i'm looking for a partner to swap with, who wants to swap custom pages with me?" - the first person to "call dibs" in the thread will partner with whoever asks and they can make each other pages.

other ideas or suggestions? i did read a chunkython that happened pre-me (a couple years ago) where some people made pages for others without a trade arranged and were stuck with very specific themed "leftovers" - i really want to avoid that problem if possible! (being someone who has a few chunky pages left over from previous thons!)

also, themes i'm thinking for this round: fall and winter (season or holidays). i know a lot of us made "summer" books over the summer - i totally wouldn't mind a snow or fall themed book to add to my collection :) (i'm easy like that)

sniisk
10-31-2010, 02:41 PM
The number three sounds fun but there is one problem. We are living in the different time zones and I'm afraid that when I'm awake, I can't get any trading partners here :(. But if you want to do it, then I will ask for trades other way :). Or we will trade only together with Linnes... :)

KESagers
10-31-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm starting to get confused . . . are we doing this differently than the summer CBAT?

sniisk
10-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Kristin, there was one little problem in the summer version. Beebs is trying to avoid it this time :).

beeps
10-31-2010, 03:49 PM
it will be similar to the summer thon - just thinking of trying some new things out to help things flow a bit better.

i'm sure in the end i'll be like OH HECK JUST MAKE STUFF !!! lol. but thinking back there were some well orgaized private stuff going on with some individuals that i think worked out well.

1 Art Lady
10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm just going to do a fall/winter/holiday theme book, like I did for the summer one. It will be fun to have one to add to my summer book. I can do a theme if someone wants something....

ginabee
10-31-2010, 04:21 PM
What if we vote on the major themes?

Pochadiva
10-31-2010, 05:52 PM
I think I could throw in a few that weekend. I find it fun to get involved with a variation now and then.

smokeysmom
10-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I like both ideas, posting desired themes and just creating and posting pages...I hope to have my printer/scanner up and running soon! I collect: Zetti-themed pages; fanciful & funky birds, Asian women; Doors, yes, decorated doors (some are even shaped like doors), Art Quotes/inspirational and Winter/Christmas-themed chunkies. I love lots of bright color, lots of threads, dangling things, ribbons, etc. on the right-hand side or the bottom of your page, or both:)

I'll be checking this thread for other people's themes for me to make:)

smokeysmom
10-31-2010, 07:23 PM
The number three sounds fun but there is one problem. We are living in the different time zones and I'm afraid that when I'm awake, I can't get any trading partners here :(. But if you want to do it, then I will ask for trades other way :). Or we will trade only together with Linnes... :)

I plan on being up all night! And, I'd be happy to make you a chunky page!

smokeysmom
10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
beeps, I know these "thons" are difficult to run, so whatever you decide is fine with me. If it's decided that we just stick to Winter, that's fine too. I'm game for whatever works best :) Hugs, Maggie

ginabee
10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm just going to do a fall/winter/holiday theme book, like I did for the summer one. It will be fun to have one to add to my summer book. I can do a theme if someone wants something....

That sounds good to me!

malicea10
10-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Howdy! I am lurking! Will see if I can play that weekend..I hope so!

beeps
10-31-2010, 08:14 PM
okay, we can do fall/winter -- keep it easy and low stress. sanna is hosting one in early jan, so we could do winter then and fall now. let's see what she thinks. there is a TON of topics for both, so it won't be hard to make a variety of pages on all kinds of topics.

popular general themes i've seen go over well within the "season" themes - birds, cats, vintage are popular.

i was thinking of doing theme days and maybe a prize pack (just some ribbons and do dads). any ideas for themes?

Janjo33
10-31-2010, 08:37 PM
I will play - I think fall/winter is good for late November and it's broad enough to incompass everyone's preferences. Personally, I like all chunkies that have a theme, nice color coordination and medium chunkiness. I don't stick to particular books, but like to trade pages out in my "books" as I get them. Funky fall and winter birds would work for me - and I also take fruit, vegetables and pumpkin pie!

dsign49
10-31-2010, 09:07 PM
I have a Christmas one started hope to add somemore pages to that.

bluelotusflower
10-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Sounds like fun to me. I'll see how much time I'll have between raking leaves (ah, yes, there IS a fall theme there!!!). :eek:

sniisk
11-01-2010, 02:46 AM
If someone wants to trade Christmas pages, it's propably better do it now and not in January :).

beeps
11-01-2010, 09:37 AM
but after xmas you get all the goodies on sale! lol.

okay, open fall/winter. i don't know why i am stressing out about this soo much. y'all know what to do! fall and winter seasons, holidays. i'll add lists of what people "trade for" in the main post in case people want to offer custom pages for posted pages or to find inspiration for their creations.

sniisk
11-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Beebs, you stress because you are a good organizer and don't want to mix things. This was the explanation I got from my boss when I told that I stress too much.

sniisk
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
but after xmas you get all the goodies on sale! lol.

Oh dear, I ddin't even think about it. But yes, you're right! Not bad idea :).

beeps
11-01-2010, 12:16 PM
we can do xmas both times - i've already made xmas pages and that was mid October!

i remember the last thon going pretty well - people just created and had fun. i remember a ton of use making mermaid pages for linda! that was fun. i need to not worry about this. i need to not worry about this :)

1 Art Lady
11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
beeps, you need not worry about this... you need not worry about this... I for one had a great time the last one and now have an awesome book! Why would it be any different this time?! remember you need not worry about this!;)

sniisk
11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I have been updating my chunky book page list today. If someone wants to take an early start and have a chunky book page even before this a-thon starts, I'm ready :).

beeps
11-01-2010, 02:40 PM
everyone is so cute. i can't wait for the thon!

i have about 10 pages covered and ready for decorating. i found all my tassles and plan to make some charms if i can find my beads. oye!

ginabee
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I went to Hobby Lobby today and scored Christmas goodies for Chunky pages on sale! Working on organizing so I can crank out some pages..must cut the backgrounds. I'm putting the images, back, etc. in a plastic bag for each one.
I've updated my chunky ad, too.
Beeps, don't stress...we'll have a blast!

Patti M
11-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Oooh! This sounds like fun!! I haven't done an "A-thon" in a while but I think I'll be around for this one. Sanna and I have a lot of each other's cards- so now maybe we can swap chunkies too!! What fun!

cherbearvx
11-03-2010, 09:40 AM
ok i'll like to be in.can host pm me teh details. i'm going to montreal until sunday and will start my chunky when i come back..another reason to go treasure hunting in montreal thrift stores!

beeps
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
he cherbearvx - there aren't any details really. just come to the THON thread when the thon starts and start making pages on the theme (fall/winter seasons, holidays, and fun).

dsign49
11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Is there a n Offical Site up yet?

beeps
11-16-2010, 03:30 PM
not yet... we have a couple days still! i'll prob post an official thread on thursday :) oh, or tomorrow.

beeps
11-18-2010, 05:54 PM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=830251#post830251

Thread is up for the THON this weekend (Nov CBAT 2010)

Looking for ideas for theme days/challenges, co-hosts (if anyone wants - we can run this ship usually on our own!), and prize providers (again, if anyone wants to do it). I am giving away a goodie bag of chunky stuff (yet to be defined) to a random player from the weekend!