PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Learn-a-Thon (LAT) Thread, January 14-16, 2011

Art By Camilla
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
It's time for the Learn-a-Thon, January 14-16, 2011. Have a technique you've been meaning to learn or practice? A drawing book you want to work with? This is the time for it! We will all be working on our own learning projects, and relying on each other for support and chatter! And we can share tips and learn from each other, as we work, too. Please feel free to post images of your work. We'll start at 12pm (your time) Friday, January 14th, and work through the weekend until midnight Sunday, January, 16th (your time).

Camilla

GoldenWolf
01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I'll be out of town most of the weekend, but will try to work on some new things and check out what everyone else is doing.

Linda4atc
01-12-2011, 12:28 AM
I think I'll try to work on some one stroke painting. I really need to learn it since I have purchased several books, cd's, brushes paints etc and have only played with it a couple times. The problem is that my sweet husband hasn't been home in a week and half, so I want to spend my time with hime too. It figures he comes home Thursday night and goes back to work Monday or Tuesday.

Donnacr
01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
I HAVE to practise working with napkins and beeswax - I have put aside most of the weekend and need to have 4 passable cards ready to mail by the end of it. Hmmmmmmm. . .possible?

Art By Camilla
01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Donnacr - I just bought an iron and beeswax! I'll need to work that in, too. We can compare notes :)

Camilla

sharlene54
01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I also would like to learn to do the beeswax techique. I have the materials, but just haven't found the time.

Linda4atc
01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I only played with beeswax once during a CAT, and I wasn't real happy with my results. Maybe I should try it again too.

KESagers
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Count me in on the beeswax. Never tried it but now seems like a good time.

GoldenWolf
01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
For those of you thinking of trying beeswax, there is a natural color which gives a slightly yellow cast to your art. It looks great on vintage style, but may not be the look you want for other styles. I know there is a whiter beeswax. I haven't tried it yet because I bought a huge slab of the natural (with a 50% off coupon at Michael's) that I haven't made much a dent in to date. So if you know another local crafter who wants to try that technique, you might want to each get a different type and then divy them in half and share.

jaw
01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
will try to check in ... have to work all weekend ...

HHC
01-13-2011, 12:05 AM
I'll be here... there are some benefits of being unemployed! :)

I plan to work on the color wheel section of Collage Lab. And whatever else strikes my fancy!

P.S. I love the natural yellow beeswax. It can darken and "age" your collage, as GoldenWolf mentioned, and I love that effect. It's the only one I use, although I have the white beeswax on my wish list. I've only seen it in the pound block which is A LOT!

Donnacr
01-13-2011, 02:32 AM
I am so glad that there will be a group of us trying beeswax - we can all commiserate over our failures and share the joy of our successes. it's like going to the gym - always better with a friend

dsign49
01-13-2011, 11:34 AM
I will try and pop in when I can. I will be working on a couple of website over the weekend

HHC
01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Is it Friday yet? :)

Evalila
01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Not yet, Helen! LOL

Iīm still trying to decide what I will be working on. Maybe beeswax, too? Or after the book "Taking Flight" from Kelly Rae Roberts. Or.............

Theresagram
01-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Oooh, I'm officially off till Monday!!

I'd love to hear more about the napkins and beeswax. I have irons, a Melting Pot and beeswax, just haven't used the beeswax yet.

khover2002
01-13-2011, 03:26 PM
What perfect timing! I was planning on working on either drawing with charcoal or packing tape transfers this weekend. I'll pop in and keep y'all posted. :spinny:

Theresagram
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
What perfect timing! I was planning on working on either drawing with charcoal or packing tape transfers this weekend. I'll pop in and keep y'all posted. :spinny:

Tape transfer is another thing I keep meaning to try! I'll be eager to hear how it goes!

Art By Camilla
01-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Where is it officially Friday 12pm first? Australia? I think it's around 7 am Friday there now.
Whoever starts first - chime in and let us know you have begun!

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-13-2011, 05:02 PM
For all of us who will be learning to work with beeswax, napkins, tissue paper, etc., here is the definitive chat class by Mrubyjean (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15242). Take a look at it now and make sure you have all the supplies and workspace elements you will need!

Camilla

Phoenix
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Just found out that I have to work this weekend, but that will not stop me. I just got a "craft caddy" to carry my supplies, and will take that and Collage Lab wherever I go to practice on breaks and slow times. I am committed to this LAT, so it will be an interesting balance...

Art By Camilla
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Awww....Phoenix. Sorry you have to work. Even if you just READ some of the book, in preparation to doing the exercises later, that still counts as learning!

Camilla

biterbuck
01-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Hey, I'm going to try packing tape transfers too if I can find packing tape. It looks cool.

theweavershand
01-14-2011, 12:30 AM
ill be working on my first moley. ill pop in now and then to check on you guys.

Evalila
01-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Itīs about 7 am here in Germany. 5 hours to go!

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 04:58 AM
It's 4 am here in Michigan - 8 hours to go. WHY did I wake up so early?

tick....tick....tick.....

Phoenix
01-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Awww....Phoenix. Sorry you have to work. Even if you just READ some of the book, in preparation to doing the exercises later, that still counts as learning!

Camilla

I've been reading it, and getting ready to start. No matter how little I get done each day (or how much) I'll be reporting back in.

I'm also working on my first moley this weekend (hi theweavershand!!!), but since gesso prep and base work are covered in the first few labs of Collage Lab, this works nicely for both projects.

I'll be back to report in and show what I've done probably tomorrow evening! Everyone is getting excited, I can feel it!!

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Ok, it's noon, or past noon, in parts of Europe and the rest of the world. What are you working on and learning about today?! Inquiring minds want to know! EST USA can start in 5 hours!

Camilla

Cricket
01-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Well, it's 2 o'clock in the afternoon in South Africa, but I'm still at the office, and then I've got to get groceries!! But after that...:jiggy: I'll be working on my first moley too, and trying out some watercolour techniques I've been meaning to get to, and working on my zetti journal!!

Evalila
01-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Iīve started working with beeswax and napkins. I already found out that I need more tissue papers and napkins **LOL**
But for now I gotta work with what I have on hand. Will post some pics soon.

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 08:15 AM
And so we hear from South Africa and Germany.....YEAH! We are officially off and running!

PaperMoon, you've got some ambitious plans - sounds like fun!

I'm going to do beeswax today too, Evalila. What are you using as your base? I've head it should be glossy, like a playing card or glossy photo paper.

Camilla

Evalila
01-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Glossy may work better, but I have nothing like that on hand. So I work with bristol board.

Evalila
01-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Here are my first attempts:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/medium/3_IMG001.jpg yellow, green and green striped tissue paper, flowery napkin

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/medium/4_IMG002.jpg white (with blue dots), light and dark pink tissue paper, 2 layers of napkins

The second one is a little crumpled, but I like that look:)

Cricket
01-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Evalila, I LOVE them both!!

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Evalilia, those are beautiful! I need to get some colored tissue paper, I only have white and a little bit of red. I didn't plan ahead well enough with my supply list!

Camilla

Evalila
01-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Here are three more:)

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/small/4_IMG003.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/small/3_IMG004.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/small/3_IMG005.jpg

WOW, just about 2:35 pm and already 5 atcs LOL
Didnīt think that working with beeswax was so much fun. This needs further experimentation (What if.........)

GoldenWolf
01-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Beeswax collage is really addicting. One thing I discovered when I was finished up my APCs for a swap is that you can edge them with alcohol ink. I like that look because it frames the card, but I kept pulling up the edges when I'd use a dye ink pad to edge the way I do with paper collage. No problems with the AIs. So that's another thing to try with the beeswax.

sharlene54
01-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Evalila-Those are beautiful. I have my supplies ready to go for beeswax. I saw on ytube to use prefect pearls on the beeswax while it is still warm especially on the edges to give it some shine and glimmer.

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Wow, Evalila, you've got me really inspired to try this now! I'm off to the store for some colored tissue papers - I only have white, and maybe one piece of red. Need more! I do have lovely Caspari napkins, three different designs - I'm looking forward to working with those!

Camilla

jaw
01-14-2011, 11:26 AM
HHC showed me how to print onto tissue paper with my printer. We attached the white tissue to a piece of paper and then printed a collage sheet onto it. Then you have your own images to layer in with the napkins. It's really cool.

GoldenWolf
01-14-2011, 11:28 AM
That's a great idea. Are you using an inkjet or laser printer? Is there any bleeeding?

jaw
01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
no bleeding. it's um ... oh heck! ink jet I think ... yep! found it written on the toner cartridge! LOL .

I also love putting a black ink rubber stamp image down and then watching it "rise" to the top when you apply the napkin & beeswax (that's my favorite, magical part!)

Evalila
01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Here are three more:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/small/3_IMG006.jpg with alcohol ink on the edges

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/small/2_IMG007.jpg with marker on the edges

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/small/2_IMG008.jpg Frida was printed on regular printer paper and collaged to the tissue paper background, covered with a very light piece of napkin and also alcohol ink on the edges

Theresagram
01-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow, Evalila, you've got me really inspired to try this now! I'm off to the store for some colored tissue papers - I only have white, and maybe one piece of red. Need more! I do have lovely Caspari napkins, three different designs - I'm looking forward to working with those!

Camilla

Gad! :swoon: You only have white?!!

You should see my stash of tissue paper! I have a bag full of all different colors and some with printing and some with sparklies! :jiggy:

HHC
01-14-2011, 12:08 PM
GOOD MORNING! Great work on your beeswax, Evalila!

Wanted to let you beeswax trying folks know that I don't use gloss paper for backing. (except APCs) I primarily use 140 pound water color paper, 100 pound vellum Bristol or a 165# card stock. It doesn't have to be a glossy paper, that just helps keep the wax from absorbing into the paper if you get too much.

I also use inks or paints on the background for color, rarely use tissue for just that purpose, or use pieces of a napkin for the background color. And as Martha (mrubyjean) has mentioned, going light to dark helps with your layout.

HHC
01-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I have a few hours to go... but have my book and sketchbook out with water colors at the ready. :D

sniisk
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Beautiful cards Evelyn!

I have nothing new to learn now because my art supplies are very limited but I'll visit here and enjoy your pictures :).

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah - it's 12:09 and I just got home from the store with my colored tissue paper. Really liking the idea of alcohol inks on the edges - what are you using to apply it?

Time for a quick lunch, and then I've got to tackle this new technique. I am terrified of the unknown! I've never used a craft iron, or beeswax. DEEP BREATH - I CAN do this :)

Evalila
01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Hello Sanna, nice to "see" you here!

You sure can do it, Camilla! Itīs easier than I thought - and so much fun!

I applied the alcohol inks directly from the bottle - veeeeery carefully :)

For this card I placed some non-bondable angelina fibers between two layers of tissue paper, added the image (on printer paper) and the silk ribbon and placed a piece of solid colored napkin on top:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/medium/2_IMG009.jpg

ginabee
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Bird Talk ATC is handdrawn, colored pencil, gel pen, collage, heart gem. I'm learning I don't have to Saturate with pencil to get a good effect.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/363/1_Bird_Talk_ATC_WEB.jpg

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Nice colors, Ginabee - looks good!

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Ok, I am getting started with the beeswax technique. First thing I learned? Caspari 3-ply napkins are very difficult to separate the layers! Anyone have any magic tricks? Second thing I learned - I don't know what heat setting to put my Clover II iron on: low, medium, or high? Feedback please?!

That's as far as I've gotten. Back I go to wrestle with the napkins some more.....

Camilla

ginabee
01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks Camilla! The background is yellow, scanned funky. Working on ATC's right now for trade I owe.

biterbuck
01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I made three packing tape transfer images (one magazine picture, one laser printed and one inkjet printed) that turned out okay even if I didn't follow the instructions. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The magazine and laser came out really clear, and the inkjet was more faded. I was going to make ATCs out of them, but my collage skills aren't good enough.

I might try a chunky book page next, or keep learning how to make APCs.

KESagers
01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Evalila and Ginabee - love your cards! Evalila - you're going strong!

Woke up under the weather today so holding off on the beeswax until tomorrow but I'll enjoy seeing what everyone else creates today.

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok, I've made my first card. I'm less than thrilled with it, but it IS my very first beeswax card, so I will be satisfied :) Takes a while to get the feel for the iron and the beeswax, and to put it on smoothly. And those darned napkins can be fiddly to separate! I've attached my first card below: I think maybe next time I would put down some color on the base first. Too much plain white space.

I'm using the smallest head on my Clover II. I'm thinking about moving up to the large head. I think maybe I can get more wax on the card more quickly that way, and things will be smoother. Any thoughts?

Evalila
01-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Looks good, Camilla. Love the colors! Did you use yarn, too?

I only have a little travel iron which Iīm working with, I use a medium heat setting for it and it works well. For the napkins - I first tear out the part I want to use on my card, and then I seperate the layers starting from the torn edge.

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Aha - separate from the torn edge - that makes sense. Thanks!
Yes, I put a little strand from a piece of black yarn in there (stole your idea from the ribbon!)

Off to make another one, this time I'll try coloring the background with some colored india ink first, I think. See how that comes through the layers.

Camilla

ginabee
01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Camilla, love that look with the animal print! I'm still working on ATC's but will get back to my drawing, later to upload.

Evalila
01-14-2011, 04:09 PM
I found some crayons in my stash and since my iron was already set up I thought I could try the Melted Crayon Technique, too. These are my first two backgrounds. Hmm, gotta try some more...:)

calluna
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Noon here, time to learn! :D

Yay for beeswax experiments! I went hog-wild with the experiments in December and used up HALF of one of those 1-lb slabs. :swoon: It was a lotta beeswax.
It's fun to try any combination of materials you can dream up -- some look good, some don't, and it's easy to shift/rearrange/replace parts of a card, just reheating the wax!
I haven't purchased any tissue paper yet, I've just saved pieces from gifts and mail packages. Mulberry paper and other thin, handmade styles have nice results as well. I haven't used a napkin yet...might have to give that a try...And I want to see if I can make something that doesn't scream "1980s" out of a little piece of Friendly Plastic I acquired (I've never used it before). But all in all I don't know where the LAT will take me!

jaw
01-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I use the high setting on my Clover iron. HHC showed me to put a dab of glue stick down & stick the napkin to it to help peel. I also find crumpling the napkin first helps.

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
I use the high setting on my Clover iron. HHC showed me to put a dab of glue stick down & stick the napkin to it to help peel. I also find crumpling the napkin first helps.

Thanks, those are good hints!

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I found some crayons in my stash and since my iron was already set up I thought I could try the Melted Crayon Technique, too. These are my first two backgrounds. Hmm, gotta try some more...:)

Crayon backgrounds look great! I have the instructions printed for that one too....I don't want to use up my nice Crayolas though. Maybe I'll go get some RoseArt or something inexpensive at Michaels or Jo-Ann. I've got a 40% off coupon right now, too! BIG box of crayons!

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Ok, need some more help with the beeswax. I finished a second card. It is multiple layers of napkin paper and tissue paper. I've got some bubbling that shows through to the final top layer, as white blotches, though it is down further than the top layer. If I reheat the card with my iron, will I be able to smooth those out, or will I just make worse bubbles and wrinkles?

Please advise!
Camilla

ginabee
01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Love that melted crayon technique!

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Here is the tutorial for the melted crayon technique: oops wrong URL just a sec I'll fix it
Have fun, everyone!

See post #71 for the correct link!

goze
01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Would like to try the melted crayon technique. Is it the same as the beeswax? Just put your iron on the crayons and then to substrate?

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Here is the tutorial for the melted crayon technique:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9460

goze
01-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks Camilla

HHC
01-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Ok, I am getting started with the beeswax technique. First thing I learned? Caspari 3-ply napkins are very difficult to separate the layers! Anyone have any magic tricks? Second thing I learned - I don't know what heat setting to put my Clover II iron on: low, medium, or high? Feedback please?!
Camilla

I used a medium high... mine doesn't have the words, just a dial.
To take the layers apart, I'll rub a corner back and forth between my finger and sometimes that loosens it so it's easier to start separating. Someone mentioned once that if you use a bone folder to smush the little raised things that hold the napkins together, that makes it easier... but I haven't actually tried it. :D

Ok, need some more help with the beeswax. I finished a second card. It is multiple layers of napkin paper and tissue paper. I've got some bubbling that shows through to the final top layer, as white blotches, though it is down further than the top layer. If I reheat the card with my iron, will I be able to smooth those out, or will I just make worse bubbles and wrinkles?

Please advise!
Camilla

Go ahead and reheat and press and see if it works. Sometimes you can press it down, but sometimes the layers get too fused together to undo the bubbles.

Would like to try the melted crayon technique. Is it the same as the beeswax? Just put your iron on the crayons and then to substrate?

I hold the iron to the crayons and drip a bit of color on the substrate, and then iron it around. (Same as I do for beeswax on smaller surfaces.) Seekingforart then irons all the wax out of her cards, if I remember correctly, leaving the pigment color.

HHC
01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
I haven't gotten to my color wheel yet... but soon! I'd rather play with beeswax. I need a task driver. :)

ginabee
01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
I have unexpected company coming (my 3 granddaughters and parents). I'll see ya tomorrow.

calluna
01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I have unexpected company coming (my 3 granddaughters and parents). I'll see ya tomorrow.

Whee! Have fun! :v_spin:

I think I remember reading that Crayolas were the only crayons with a good amount of pigment for the melting technique. But I haven't tried other brands; I just have a sandwich baggie of Crayola crayons that someone sent me.

goze
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Thrift stores are a good place to check for real Crayolas. Saw several bags the other day while I was out "junking". Hindsight, now I wish I had picked them up.

Art By Camilla
01-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Ok, Crayolas it is :)

I'm finished for the night. My studio is trashed, but I'm too tired to clean it up tonight. I made 3 beeswax cards today, learned a lot about them, and spent lots of time chatting with all of you!

sharlene54
01-14-2011, 09:13 PM
I love the beeswax. I also made 3 cards today. It took a while to set-up and then clean-up since I need to use the kitchen table. I used a napkin, scrapes of music and some whispy paper. Tomorrow I'm going to try to drip some colored wax or crayon to make splaches. I'm wondering how smooth the finished layer is suppose to look.
I've wanted to try this for along time. What fun.
Oh, what surface do you work on? It took such along time to clean the work surface. I was thinking of using brown paper bags and then just throwing them away as I go along. Any suggestions?

standnngrace
01-14-2011, 09:16 PM
hey all HOORAY I thought I was getting guests tomorrow ...........Instead I get to make art and participate
yes!
hugs all
Valerie

Theresagram
01-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Whew! I'm trying to catch up on the thread now...it's been one heck of a busy day!

ginabee
01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Whew, for me too! My grandgirls and I had a blast, tonight. I'm working on my drawings, now and will upload, tomorrow. Good night.

jaw
01-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Oh, what surface do you work on? It took such along time to clean the work surface. I was thinking of using brown paper bags and then just throwing them away as I go along. Any suggestions?

I just use yesterday's newspaper ... then I recycle it.
Now that I think of it ... I have also used old junk mail and such. A few layers of 8 1/2 x 11 paper is easy to just toss off the top sheet and keep going!

sharlene54
01-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Great idea-thanks. I'll use newspaper tomorrow. What about finishing the back? How do you attach paper to the back with your name, etc.?

jaw
01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Great idea-thanks. I'll use newspaper tomorrow. What about finishing the back? How do you attach paper to the back with your name, etc.?

I usually just write it on with my micron pen. Or I use a blank address label and write my info on it.

Linda4atc
01-15-2011, 12:30 AM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_001.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_002.jpg

Ok this my first days work. I am trying to learn the one Stoke technique By Donna Dewberry. these are just practice pages

jaw
01-15-2011, 01:35 AM
hey Linda ... way cool! I just can't get myself motivated at all! Maybe I'll just get out the gesso and see what happens. One more beer and that'll help!! I'm sure of it!

HHC
01-15-2011, 01:40 AM
I'm motivated to play with beeswax, and I still haven't done a thing. Tomorrow, there's always tomorrow! :)

jaw
01-15-2011, 01:51 AM
when I was printing onto tissue paper: I cut the tissue paper just a bit smaller than the paper I was putting thru the printer and just taped the top edge (that would feed into the printer first) and voila!

theweavershand
01-15-2011, 01:54 AM
this moley is just staring at me...daring me to try something...ugh...totally blocked...cant even settle on a theme...help!!

Donnacr
01-15-2011, 02:02 AM
These are my first attempts using beeswax:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/4_scan0022.jpg LAT#1 obviously too much wax used
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/4_scan0023.jpg LAT#2 much happier with this one
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/5_scan0024.jpg LAT# 3
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/5_scan0025.jpg LAT#4

Can someone else trying this technique please tell me that they have also burnt their finger on their iron, or is it just me that is so clumsy?

jaw
01-15-2011, 02:04 AM
little burns have happened here! ;) just sayin'

sniisk
01-15-2011, 02:08 AM
So many people using beeswax! And all the cards are great!

I think I'll use markers and try to draw something today. I have markers here this weekend.

Linda4atc
01-15-2011, 02:38 AM
LOL some awsome Beeswax here. If I drag myself over to the other trailer tomorrow, and if I can find the stuff I may try some too. I just filled another whole page of leaves and petal strokes. Like the one on the left shown above it was just brush strokes not a planned picture.

Helene
01-15-2011, 03:12 AM
LOL some awsome Beeswax here. If I drag myself over to the other trailer tomorrow, and if I can find the stuff I may try some too. I just filled another whole page of leaves and petal strokes. Like the one on the left shown above it was just brush strokes not a planned picture.
I don't know Linda, but I was ready to trade for them when I saw them pop up in the gallery!!! They are great!

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 04:06 AM
I love the beeswax. I also made 3 cards today. It took a while to set-up and then clean-up since I need to use the kitchen table. I used a napkin, scrapes of music and some whispy paper. Tomorrow I'm going to try to drip some colored wax or crayon to make splaches. I'm wondering how smooth the finished layer is suppose to look.
I've wanted to try this for along time. What fun.

Card is beautiful!

RE: worksurface - I use a giant pad of newsprint, and just get rid of the top sheet as it gets yucky. I've tried for a smooth finished layer with mixed results. Don't forget to buff it with a soft cloth when it is dry - this really makes it look pretty!

Camilla :)

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 04:08 AM
hey all HOORAY I thought I was getting guests tomorrow ...........Instead I get to make art and participate
yes!
hugs all
Valerie

Great news, Valerie! What are you planning on learning about/practicing?

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 04:10 AM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_001.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_002.jpg

Ok this my first days work. I am trying to learn the one Stoke technique By Donna Dewberry. these are just practice pages

Your One Stroke paintings are beautiful!

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 04:12 AM
this moley is just staring at me...daring me to try something...ugh...totally blocked...cant even settle on a theme...help!!

Set it aside and pick something else to work on that you feel more inspired to learn/practice. Once you get your creative juices flowing, the moley will come....

sniisk
01-15-2011, 04:13 AM
Here is my first try this weekend. I tried to draw and used ProMarkers.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/296/medium/1_78.jpg LAT #1

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 04:16 AM
OK all you Bea Shay Collage Workshop fans - break out the book! Today is the day! I will be working out of the book today. Who wants to join me? Once I clean up my studio I left trashed after the beeswax project, that is!

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Here is my first try this weekend. I tried to draw and used ProMarkers.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/296/medium/1_78.jpg LAT #1

Very cute! Love the hair :)

Camilla

Evalila
01-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Good morning!

Great card, Sanna! I have ProMarkers, too and love them. I use them quite often.

These are the last two cards from yesterday - didnīt get to upload them earlier:)

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/small/2_IMG010.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/2901/small/3_IMG011.jpg

Still trying to decide what I will be working on today!

Phoenix
01-15-2011, 05:36 AM
I am also working out of the Bee Shay book. I have so much to share, its hard to keep in. I'll try really hard to be brief.

Remember that I'm a total newbie to collage and all related media when I say "oh gesso...where have you been all my life??" I Love this stuff! Throughout the day I have been mixing gesso and paint, making a mess, and learning and making pretty things. I did bunches of paper backgrounds with gel medium as well.

In the book, the second lab suggests cutting out shapes in various types of paper and putting them on watercolor paper. But I didn't want a white background, so I did a bunch of paint washes on water color pages.

I tried lots of papers, and when I got to typing paper I thought it was also too white, so I scribbled pink and purple prismacolor markers all over it and cut shapes out of it.

I used that piece of typing paper colored with markers on earlier gesso/acrylic backgrounds, and on watercolor backgrounds.

I did complete three pieces even tho I didn't set out to actually finish anything today; but I wanted to share something. My favorite techniqe today is shown in the third piece, which is prisma color markers on typing paper with shapes cut out, and then mounted on watercolor.

I have been at this for almost 10 hours off and on. I'm going to get some sleep and keep going tomorrow.

Future posts will not be this long...I'll try to contain my excitement better:jiggy:!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/6688/small/1_Making_My_Way.jpeg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/6688/small/1_Seeing_with_the_Heart.jpeg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/6688/small/1_Shapes_Paint_and_Glue.jpeg

Phoenix
01-15-2011, 06:10 AM

I'm right there with you! I played with gesso so much today that I think I'm finally going to go for it and mix gesso with acrylic paint and do the cover. That way whatever I do with it, if it is something I learn here or not, it will be ready. I'm praying inspiration will hit with one of the exercises I'm doing here. I wish us both luck!

sniisk
01-15-2011, 07:23 AM
And my second ATC.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/296/medium/1_3.jpg LAT #2

Evalila
01-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Iīve nothing to show yet. Iīm working with Kelly Rae Robertsī book "Taking flight".

Currently Iīm making a mess with acrylics and a brayer :laugh:
Havenīt "painted" with a brayer before - itīs fun! Iīm making a little journal as Roberts suggests. Now my pages have to dry.

goze
01-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Sniisk - Love your drawing.

Evalila
01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Can you tell, Iīve had fun with colors today **LOL**

This is the "journal" I made today. I think Iīll add some inspirational and art related quotes to the inside pages.

sharlene54
01-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Here are two from last night. The first one is a chunky size. I will add more bling. I have some more beeswax projects ready to finish today. Thanks to all for answering my questions. This learn-a-thon is fun.

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Here are two from last night. The first one is a chunky size. I will add more bling. I have some more beeswax projects ready to finish today. Thanks to all for answering my questions. This learn-a-thon is fun.

Sharlene54 - LOVE your cards. I was feeling a little squashed by the ATC format for the beeswax - I think I will experiment with chunky size instead!

Glad you are having fun! I am too!

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 11:47 AM

This is the "journal" I made today. I think Iīll add some inspirational and art related quotes to the inside pages.

Very cool journal! I've started an art journal, but have not yet decorated the cover! I'm taking the Strathmore Visual Journal Online workshop, and we are focusing on the interior, not the covers. Standnngrace has posted some wonderful cover recipes in the Junque Journals thread if anyone is interested :)

I am planning on incorporating a lot of text and quotes into my visual art for my journal, too. Kind of a combination of both.

Nice work :)
Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Phoenix, isn't gesso great?! I love it since discovering it. I need to do more to incorporate it into my work. 10 hours? You are doing great! Love your lengthy post! Keep them up :)

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok, what's on the agenda today, folks? I think I will dive into Collage Journal a bit today (have to see where I left off - I think I'm using GESSO!), and maybe work on my art journal page a bit as well with this week's assignment.

What do you have planned to learn about today?

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 12:08 PM
This is all so exciting!
Keep up the great work, everyone.
I spotted Bee Shay's book at Border's the other day, and had to buy it. Thanks to this thread for finding out about it. I also have "Taking Flight" and have been reading it again. I love her book and her blog.
I hope to play later today after work.
Does anyone have "Mixed Emulsions" book on altering photos? That really intrigues me.

Glad you found the Bea Shay book. It is really neat!

I'm not familiar with the other two books you mention - I'll have to check them out! Like I need more books!

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Iīve nothing to show yet. Iīm working with Kelly Rae Robertsī book "Taking flight".

Currently Iīm making a mess with acrylics and a brayer :laugh:
Havenīt "painted" with a brayer before - itīs fun! Iīm making a little journal as Roberts suggests. Now my pages have to dry.

Hmmm....painting with a brayer. I've never done that before. You can do it with rubber stamping ink, too, I believe. So far the only thing my brayer gets used for is squishing out the glue when I collage things! It's wonderful for that (put the item between waxed paper first, though, or you will have a mess!)

Post pics of your brayer paintings, please?!

Camilla

jaw
01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
not gonna get a chance to play today (gotta work) or tonight (babysitting granddaughters) ... but I'll take some art supplies and see what the girls come up with ... maybe we'll do some layering stuff ... little girls, paper, paint ... hmmmm

ginabee
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Love the eye candy! I've been practicing drawing/coloring for my class
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/363/1_class_practice_whimsy_1_and_lat_WEB.jpg

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Nice drawing, ginabee! I can't draw to save my life. I've signed up for a drawing class at the community college that starts next month, if they get enough people to register. It was cancelled once before :(

I also have another book in "The Lab" series, called Drawing Lab, but I have found it a bit overwhelming so far.

Are you drawing more today, or working on something else?

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 12:43 PM
not gonna get a chance to play today (gotta work) or tonight (babysitting granddaughters) ... but I'll take some art supplies and see what the girls come up with ... maybe we'll do some layering stuff ... little girls, paper, paint ... hmmmm

Little girls, paper, and paint sounds like a wonderful combination for art! Please post pictures! It will be a LAT for them, too :)

ginabee
01-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Camilla, Thanks for the comment on my drawings! I'm not sure what else I'm working on, today. Waiting for my Muse!

Evalila
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Camilla, the backgrounds of the little journal I made today were made using this technique. First I covered the cardboard/pages with torn paper collage and then added acrylics with the brayer.

sniisk
01-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I think I will play with some acrylic paints too because I found some new paints today :).

Evalila
01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
I switched to Claudine Hellmuthsī "Collage Discovery Workshop", so much fun to make a mess with acrylics :laugh:

KESagers
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
So inspiring to see what everyone it doing! Need to eat lunch and then I'll get my beeswax set up.

Evalila
01-15-2011, 02:25 PM
At the moment Iīm just playing with acrylics. These are three canvases that have already dried (with a little help from my heat blowing tool) - ready for further collage :)

For the first I glued a black and white napkin to the canvas and added some modeling paste on the right and the bottom. After it dried I colored it with amber acrylics, after that I added some red acrylics on parts of the canvas and wiped off excess color while still wet.

The second is made with Claudine Hellmuthsī Peeling Paint technique. I used a canvas I made earlier and that I didnīt really like. I added some petroleum jelly on top of the acrylic background (only on parts of the canvas), painted it over with a layer of pink acrylic paint and after it dried I wiped off the loos paint with baby wipes.

For the third I used a base layer of beige acrylic, and brushed brown-grey, brown and green-blue acrylics over it, using very little paint and a dry brush, letting each layer dry in between.

sharlene54
01-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I love the beeswax. It is so much fun. I got 3 more finished and will upload them later. I put stickles on them and I want them to dry before I put them on my scanner. The chit-chat is great to read. Tomorrow, I'd like to try something else, but I don't know what. Maybe the packing tape transferes. Does anyone know where I can find instructions?

The peeled paint technique maybe something I may try. I have read about it and Evalila, your's looks great. Sooo many ideas.

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 02:52 PM
The October 2010 issue of Art Trader Magazine has a section on packing tape transfers - here is the thread about it and link to magazine: http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17070&highlight=packing+tape+transfers

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Peeled paint sounds cool. I even went so far as to buy a jar of petroleum jelly once to do it, but it's another one of those "get around to it" projects!

So far today, I have been playing "clean up the trashed art studio." Next I have to rearrange some furniture out there I think. Need more workspace. Every flat surface is covered with stuff!

Carry on, noble artists, carry on....:)

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Camilla, the backgrounds of the little journal I made today were made using this technique. First I covered the cardboard/pages with torn paper collage and then added acrylics with the brayer.

Evalila,

This sounds like a cool technique. Does the paper pattern and/or color show through the paint, or does it just provide texture?

Camilla

Evalila
01-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Evalila,

This sounds like a cool technique. Does the paper pattern and/or color show through the paint, or does it just provide texture?

Camilla

That depends on how much color you put on the brayer. If itīs not too thick, the paper patterns and colors show through the paint. You can see that if you take a closer look at the last pic in post # 110.

Evalila
01-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Two canvas backgrounds more:)

For the scrafitti one I added thin black lines to the painted canvas, after that I added two wider brushstrokes gesso and scribbled in them with an old pen.

For the second one I covered parts of the canvas with masking tape before painting it. Least I pulled away the tape and added a last layer of thinned color, wiping off the excess with a paper towel.

standnngrace
01-15-2011, 03:24 PM
I love the idea of peeling paint I am going to try that next time I am painting!! Thank you Evalila! You are giving me great ideas for layers of fun!
I have all my bases ready to bees wax on some layers here goes I am headed for the art cave.
hugs all
Valerie

ginabee
01-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I've been playing catch up on getting trades, ready. Playing a little with a chunky...cleaning up art table, now!
LOVE all the techniques described and shown.
I feel like painting, too.

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 03:55 PM
That depends on how much color you put on the brayer. If itīs not too thick, the paper patterns and colors show through the paint. You can see that if you take a closer look at the last pic in post # 110.

Ok, I get it now. What a neat technique. I'll have to try it :)

Thanks,
Camilla

Theresagram
01-15-2011, 04:02 PM
I've been playing catch up on getting trades, ready. Playing a little with a chunky...cleaning up art table, now!
LOVE all the techniques described and shown.
I feel like painting, too.

Can you come over and clean up my art table when you're done?!! :twitcy:

KESagers
01-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Here are my first attempts at beeswax collage:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_5-of-diamonds-leaves.jpgtradedhttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_10-of-spades---Beautiful-Women.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_Ace-of-Hearts-Snow-Love.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_6-of-Hearts-Happy-Holidays.jpgtraded

ginabee
01-15-2011, 04:35 PM
T, I'm not making good progress got sucked in TV.
Kesagers, they look great!

KESagers
01-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks! It's fun! I think I need to think it some and practice more layers.

weditt
01-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Just found this! May I start a bit late?

KESagers
01-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Welcome Weditt! Marathons are such that you can come and go as you please so jump in when ever you can. :)

Here is one last beeswax collage. Didn't use any napkins on this one but the top layer is confetti gift tissue.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_Queen-of-Spades.jpg

weditt
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks! I *love* the beeswax collages that have been posted. They really have a nice depth. I need to find out more about these. Is there a tutorial anywhere?

Just got some oil pastels and haven't a clue - off to play.

ginabee
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
I've been studying my art lesson for Workshop and made a birthday chunky for a friend!

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 06:46 PM
KESagers - those are great APCs! Especially like the 5 :)

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks! I *love* the beeswax collages that have been posted. They really have a nice depth. I need to find out more about these. Is there a tutorial anywhere?

Just got some oil pastels and haven't a clue - off to play.

Welcome, Wedditt!

Here is the forum link to the beeswax tutorial: http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5956

I just started working with oil pastels for an online workshop, and one thing I learned is that they blend much better if they are warm first. So put them under a lamp, hit them with a hair dryer or heat gun, and roll them between your hands. You can blend with your finger tip. Some people put a little bit of almond oil on their fingertip if their fingers aren't oily enough to blend well :)

Have fun!

mrubyjean
01-15-2011, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=weditt;888045]Thanks! I *love* the beeswax collages that have been posted. They really have a nice depth. I need to find out more about these. Is there a tutorial anywhere?QUOTE]

Yes ~ http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5956 :cute:

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Just finished Lab 12 of Bea Shay's Collage Lab book. The end of Unit 3 - Gesso.

I learned that I tend to mix up WAY too much tinted gesso, and then I have to find ways to use it up. Old prescription bottles are great for storing leftover gesso mixes and washes!

Next up is Unit 4, Labs 13-16: Color.

Anyone else using the Collage Lab book today? What Lab are you on?

Dinner is here. PIZZA!

Camilla

ginabee
01-15-2011, 06:58 PM
weditt, link for oil pastel help http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16029
Here's the chunky I made http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/363/1_skater_chunky_WEB.jpg

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Awwww....ginabee, that chunky is so cute!

Camilla

sharlene54
01-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I have 2 more beeswax cards and 1 I did using the peeled paint technique.
With the beeswax, I melted it in a melting pot and brush it onto the card. I place the paper on top and use a small iron to secure to the card. I have added embellishment by dropping them into the melted wax and placing them on the card. If more heat is needed, again I use my iron. It seems to be working.

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
sharlene54 - those are lovely cards!

This has certainly been a beeswax-focused LAT!

Helene
01-15-2011, 08:21 PM
It's all your fault you guys!!!...I went and I bought the book "Drawing Lab"....I am trying...but it is a lot harder than she says...Mine certainly don't look like the ones in the book...I'll be posting a few in my gallery to prove it...hee hee hee

ginabee
01-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Awwww....ginabee, that chunky is so cute!

Camilla

Thanks Camilla! She's the girl I drew, earlier. I made a print of her and cut it out.
Lovin' all the ART being shown.

Helene
01-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your comment on my funky funky bird GINABEE! I better continue some more labs out of the book!

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
It's all your fault you guys!!!...I went and I bought the book "Drawing Lab"....I am trying...but it is a lot harder than she says...Mine certainly don't look like the ones in the book...I'll be posting a few in my gallery to prove it...hee hee hee

Did you do the "Cats in Bed" exercise? Mine were pathetic!

Phoenix
01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Camilla you are brilliant!! Old prescription bottles...the possibilities! Not only for leftover gesso mixes, which I always make too much of (or more frustrating, too little of), but for mixing washes and not making as much of a mess, or using up my whole household's jars and cups. Yippee! Thank you.

I am up to Labs 3 and 4 today (spent so much time on the beginning ones yesterdy...hee hee). I am doing diffused imagery, which is fun and interesting with diffferent types of imagery surfaces. And I've prepared a bunch of paper for the next lab on washes. And I'm covered in gesso as we speak and trying not to get it on my keyboard. Ack!

So, I have a question for seasoned collagers here: what are the legalities with using images in artwork? When is something public domain and therefore anyone's to use in a piece?

Say I use a photograph from National Geographic of a lion as a central part of a collage piece? Or magazine photo (current), or something from a copywrited work of any kind? I'm not talking about anyone's artwork here at all. Is my question clear? I just want to know what are the limits in using other images in my own art.

Ok, I think my diffused images and gesso prepped papers are dry, so its back to gesso, paint, and mayhem.

Happy Arting!

Just finished Lab 12 of Bea Shay's Collage Lab book. The end of Unit 3 - Gesso.

I learned that I tend to mix up WAY too much tinted gesso, and then I have to find ways to use it up. Old prescription bottles are great for storing leftover gesso mixes and washes!

Next up is Unit 4, Labs 13-16: Color.

Anyone else using the Collage Lab book today? What Lab are you on?

Dinner is here. PIZZA!

Camilla

Phoenix
01-15-2011, 08:49 PM
LOL! You show me yours and I'll show you mine! I think they were supposed to be weird, but I'll bet mine were more pathetic than yours...LOL.

HHC
01-15-2011, 09:06 PM
So, I have a question for seasoned collagers here: what are the legalities with using images in artwork? When is something public domain and therefore anyone's to use in a piece?

Say I use a photograph from National Geographic of a lion as a central part of a collage piece? Or magazine photo (current), or something from a copywrited work of any kind? I'm not talking about anyone's artwork here at all. Is my question clear? I just want to know what are the limits in using other images in my own art.

Copyright issues are touchy. I don't worry about using images if they are in my journal that is only for me. If you use someone else's photo/image in art to trade or sell, you need to alter it enough that it's not recognizable... or get permission from the artist.

When we're trading, I'm not as careful as I should be, but then most of the images I use are from online sites that state they are copyright free.

I'll see if I can find a link to a reference... :)

Art By Camilla
01-15-2011, 09:12 PM

Technically, those images are copyrighted. However, if you are just using them for your own use, and don't plan to sell or mass distribute them, no one will ever know you used them. I use images out of magazines for collages, but they are my own art, and I don't sell it. So, the magazine publisher doesn't know I've used it, I haven't financially profited from someone else's work, etc.

Regarding public domain, I believe it is 70 years after the death of the creator, but I don't remember for sure without looking it up.

Hope this helps.

Camilla

Helene
01-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Not yet...maybe tonight...but I don't have much hope either! hee hee

Donnacr
01-15-2011, 10:47 PM
I knew that I had read a really good article on Copyright in an issue of the Art Trader magazine. I have just gone looking and found it on page 20 of issue 9, hopefully this is the link to the correct issue http://www.arttradermag.com/issues/ArtTrader_Issue9.pdf .
It goes into quite a lot of detail as different countries have different rules and different items have different rules :swoon:
I hope this helps

Donnacr
01-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Can someone please help me? I have come back to my beeswax cards, after a night, and they are still sticky to the touch. I know that it is sticky weather here ( hot and humid) - does this affect the curing time of a card or have I done something wrong?

KESagers
01-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Donnacr - I just started playing with beeswax today so I'm not the right person to answer you - hopefully some one else can give you a better idea. However, in the summer we are hot and humid here and I have a terrible time getting gel medium to dry - I mean it can take days and that's with a fan on. I don't think I'll be able to mail any of my beeswax cards in the summer - the mail box gets too hot. I'll be interested to know the answer to your question too.

mrubyjean
01-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Can someone please help me? I have come back to my beeswax cards, after a night, and they are still sticky to the touch. I know that it is sticky weather here ( hot and humid) - does this affect the curing time of a card or have I done something wrong?

Donna ~ I couldn't really say...I've not had that happen. We have quite moderate weather here and my cards have always cooled to the touch in just a few minutes and lost their stickiness. Can you polish them with a soft cloth without the beeswax sticking to the cloth? And were you using 100% beeswax (with no additives)? I'm sorry...does anyone have any other thoughts?

HHC
01-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Donnacr, thanks for finding that link on copyright. It was good to re-read it.

And I've never had beeswax stay sticky when I've used it, whatever the temperature. I'm not sure what to suggest, other than myrubyjean's question - are you sure it was 100% beeswax?

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 01:04 AM
I have never tried beeswax, but I am admiring all the cards here. I have received a few in swaps, and really like them.

What I tried was...
I have rarely worked on canvas. I purchased several canvases that are 4" x 5" that I want to do mixed medium collages on that will feature a photo of a quilt. I plan to use photos of friends' quilts then give them the collages as gifts. This is the new thing I did - I started by painting a wash all over the canvas, and I always mix my own colors of paint instead of using them straight out of the bottle. Then I changed the shade of the paint slightly and mixed it with gel medium. I took a palette knife and spread that over the canvas creating a nice texture. This came out better than I thought it would, and I am really excited about it. I plan to add more layers to the background, but will wait 'til it dries. In the meantime I want to find images or papers to add to the collages. I'm having fun with this so far...

Love your idea of mixed media colleges with quilt photos. Canvases look great!

Camilla

Linda4atc
01-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Beeswax question -

I would imagine that since beeswax is a natural product that it could vary in consistency. I know that when wax is used to create batik fabric that beeswax is combined with paraffin wax. The beeswax is too soft and flexible, the paraffin too hard and stiff. Therefore, I would suggest trying to mix in a little paraffin and see if that helps.
This makes me think of a question, is thre a way to test a big block of wax, to tell if it's parafin or beeswax?

LOL as long as the pint is on hands and the rug, LOL

sharlene54 & KESagers, cool Beeswax cards

At the moment Iīm just playing with acrylics. These are three canvases that have already dried (with a little help from my heat blowing tool) - ready for further collage :)

For the first I glued a black and white napkin to the canvas and added some modeling paste on the right and the bottom. After it dried I colored it with amber acrylics, after that I added some red acrylics on parts of the canvas and wiped off excess color while still wet.

The second is made with Claudine Hellmuthsī Peeling Paint technique. I used a canvas I made earlier and that I didnīt really like. I added some petroleum jelly on top of the acrylic background (only on parts of the canvas), painted it over with a layer of pink acrylic paint and after it dried I wiped off the loos paint with baby wipes.

For the third I used a base layer of beige acrylic, and brushed brown-grey, brown and green-blue acrylics over it, using very little paint and a dry brush, letting each layer dry in between.
Those are awsome! what size are you working with?

sniisk and ginabee cute drawings. I really like the way you used that girl as collage on a chunky page. Great minds ..... I actually used a drawing of a girl I did, on a small journal page today, myself.

I ended up learming how to use a jigsaw and circular saw today. And got lot of practice with a crowbar. LOL Unforunately it wasn't art, Helped my husband rip up some old wood flooring.

But this evening I did practice some more one stroke leaves. I need to get them down so that Ican be pretty consistant in application & size, even when the angle changes. I eventually plan to paint on some walls.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/2_001.jpg

dsign49
01-16-2011, 03:13 AM
I have a question. I don't have any beeswax and was wondering where you purchaseit. And what kind of tools do you need to work with it. The cards I have seen are very beautiful and I really like the look of them and the layer look you get from different papers or napkins.

Donnacr
01-16-2011, 03:13 AM
thanks everyone. When I went to check the purity of my beeswax I can find no definition on it at all - it was what I was given when I asked for beeswax but other than that I have no idea what it is.
I have finished my cards for the 'Beeswax and napkin' swap - the 3rd card is my favourite so far:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/5_scan0026.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/5_scan0027.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/5_scan0028.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/6_scan0029.jpg. Is this one strictly 'legal' as the birds have not been joined on with beeswax?
Then these are some more that I have been playing with:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/5_scan0030.jpg LAT #5http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/5_scan0031.jpg LAT #6 TRADEDhttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/4_scan0032.jpg LAT #7 TRADED
The large red flower has black beads as its centre

sniisk
01-16-2011, 03:14 AM
Regarding public domain, I believe it is 70 years after the death of the creator, but I don't remember for sure without looking it up.

It depends highly on the country. If you do something world wide, you use the rules in your own coutry but it's always good to check if the rules differ a lot in another countries. Of course this is only a real problem when you are selling or making money but not when you only trade something.

Phoenix
01-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Thank you HHC, Camilla, and Donna for the information, link, and clarification. I understand now, and feel much better. What are some of the online sites you get images from that you know are copyright free? I google images of various things for inspiration, but have never used the actual image in a work of my own. I'd like to, so I wonder if those are copyright free...must check that out.

Linda, wow! Those one-stroke paintings/drawings are so wonderful! Is there a book you can refer me to? I MUST try this!

Evalia, I too have spent a lot of my day playing with acrylics. Yours are fantastic!Lesson 4 in Shay's book is on washes, and I got to try lots of color combos and blends I normally don't use, various tones, and I learned a bunch of new techniques with sponges, buffing, etc. and made up a few of my own. I found that layering different colors, intensities, and techniques gave great results.

I worked on diffusing images today with gesso and had mixed results. Mainly because I'm still learning how to dilute gesso correctly and find the right mix for a "light" wash...LOL. None were successes so maybe they'll be backgrounds for something, or just chalked up to learning.

I had better luck with the acrylics and will share these. I used gesso on watercolor first, then experimented with techniques. Maybe tomorrow I'll focus on actually finishing something!!

Phoenix
01-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Here are two more acylic washes.

Evalila
01-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Those are awsome! what size are you working with?

Thank you!
The first two are 7 x 9", the last is smaller, about 4 x 5".

Your paintings are sooo beautiful!!!

Evalila
01-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Here are two more that had to dry over night.

For the first I mixed light structural paste with yellow ochre acrylics and applied it to the canvas (4 x 5"). The texture was achieved by lightly pressing a crumpled paper towel into the wet mixture and lifting it off slightly (first pic). After it dried I added some darker colors (vermillion and gold) to it. Since it was too rough for further collage, I sanded it to give it a smoother surface. Then I added a little black paint to the edges - with my fingers :) (second pic).

The second (pic 3) is a varition of Claudine Hellmuthsī Textured Paint. I used heavy gel medium instead of heavy bodied acrylics.

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow - busy busy you have all been! Glad to see so much activity!

Phoenix, to get a lighter gesso mix, start with the lighter color (in this case the white gesso) and add small amounts of the darker paint to it, blending as you go until you get the shade you want. For copyright free images, there are suppliers that sell what are called "collage sheets" of images. Google that and see what you can find. I also have some links to various art suppliers and images on my blog, Art By Camilla (http://artbycamilla.blogspot.com/). Scroll down the right hand column, and you should see the appropriate sections.

Linda4atc - learning a jigsaw and circular saw definitely qualifies as art techniques. Think of the options for 3-D assemblage that are available to you now! And your One Strokes look beautiful. Yet another one of those things i want to learn....:)

dsign49, you can get beeswax at Michaels or JoAnn in the candlemaking section, or various places sell it online. You can get natural, which gives a slight vintagy yellowish cast, or bleached white, which is more clear. I use a Clover II craft iron, also available on line or at craft stores.

Donnacr, your cards look great! What if you took a thin layer of white tissue paper and put it on over the birds layer?

What's on the agenda today, folks? I'm going to work on my art journal for the Strathmore Visual Journals workshop I am taking. Maybe I'll upload a pick of my pathetic cats from the Drawing Lab book!

Happy creating!
Camilla

Cricket
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM
I love all the wonderful cards on this thread!!

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Ok, those of you that wanted to see my pathetic Cats in Bed exercise from Drawing Lab by Carla Sonheim - it is posted on my blog (http://artbycamilla.blogspot.com/2011/01/drawing-lab-lab-1.html) for you to laugh at! I drew these cats in November 2010.

Camilla

Theresagram
01-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I think they are cute. Looks to me like you have created a character for a series of cards. They all look pretty much like the same cat.

If I'd tried that they wouldn't all even look like cats! :twitcy:

KESagers
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh wow - great work everyone! Busy day today but if I have time I'm going to try the "Black Magic" stamping technique.

khover2002
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Gorgeous!!!

sharlene54
01-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Fabulous cards.

ginabee
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Camilla, LOVE your cats! KESagers, what's the Black Magic stamping technique?
I LOVE LOVE all of your ART and am so inspired. I have to scan my drawing and will post here.

Helene
01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Your backgrounds are wonderful Phoenix !!!

ginabee
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Summer Woman handdrawn/colored pencil (scan didn't do well). Any suggestions?
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/363/1_Summer_Woman_WEB.jpg

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
ginabee - maybe some shading? Determine your light source, and put light shadows on the edges of the lines that are opposite it. Does that make sense?

Cute dress!

Camilla

Helene
01-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Ok, those of you that wanted to see my pathetic Cats in Bed exercise from Drawing Lab by Carla Sonheim - it is posted on my blog (http://artbycamilla.blogspot.com/2011/01/drawing-lab-lab-1.html) for you to laugh at! I drew these cats in November 2010.

Camilla
Oh...they are not pathetic at all...they look just like her results in the book...! I didn't try it last night...I crashed...But you should pick the 2 or 3 out of the sheet...(I can find more than that that are great) and continue the lab...let's see...

Helene
01-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Geesh - I just found this thread and was working on beeswax cards yesterday so I'll post my cards. I just love this technique!
Used PC's, collage papers, tissue paper, gesso, beeswax, acrylic paint and perfect pearls.
You have to tell us how you did the swirly corner thingies???? It looks like it is embossed...please do share! I love all of them...

ginabee
01-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Great tip, Camilla!

khover2002
01-16-2011, 02:04 PM
I worked a little on drawing this weekend and I did one packing tape transfer [which was remarkably similar to gel medium fabric transfers.]

Things I learned:

Drawing: When I told my MIL "I can't draw" she asked if it was because I was trying to draw what I saw or what I thought I saw. Apparently most people overlay their ideas of what they are seeing with what they are seeing and then have a hard time drawing. I illustrated my own point this weekend by trying to draw a horse. I've been drawing horses as long as I can remember and when I tried this weekend, it just didn't work [proportions were wrong, etc...]. Long story shorter, I spied a bottle opener on the table and drew that instead. By choosing something I wasn't intimately familiar with, I could focus on the lines and shapes within the item, rather than my preconceptions. I also played with repetitive patterns, aka zentangles, which was fun and kinda relaxing.

Packing tape transfers: Just like gel medium/fabric transfers. Keeping the tape wet is key to getting all the paper off. I was surprised that the tape was still sticky after all that water...and I was rather frustrated when it stuck to itself, cat hair and the floor when I accidentally dropped it. [doh!] I don't have an immediate use for it, so I stored it on a plastic report cover.

The results are posted in my gallery.

sharlene54
01-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I just tried a technique in Claudine Hellmuth's book "Collage, Discovery Workshop" It's called plastic wrap crinkle. I used glimmer mist instead of acrylic paints. I' m posting the results.

Helene
01-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks Helene. In answer to your question, I puddle the beeswax in layers, 3-4 times so that it is quite raised. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then I reheat with my heat gun then stamp with a deeply gouged stamp. The lines on the stamp can't be too close together or the wax will stick to the stamp when lifting. It doesn't always work the first time. Sometimes I have to go back and redo it. Hope this helps. Oh and I almost always use perfect pearls to highlight the crevaces of the stamped wax. And yes, Sharlene this is a reprint of the post I sent to you:jiggy:
Thanks Laura! I will definitely have to talk Clofiti into trying that technique next time we do Beeswax, we have tons of rubber stamps and don't use them enough, so that is a great tip!!!

ginabee
01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Sharlene, love that purple paper!

jaw
01-16-2011, 02:55 PM
well, took a "blendy pens" set I got at Costco to the grandbabies and they colored for an hour and a half! Love seeing little hands with marker all over them LOL! We had ice cream sundaes at midnight and then a tea party ...

we're thinking of heading to Seattle to see the Picasso exhibit ~ which ends today or tomorrow. will see what happens ...

Loving all the wonderful fun you are doing here. I so want to just go home and play with my paints, but ... alas ... must play with others today! LOL

sniisk
01-16-2011, 03:29 PM
I finally had dried painted back ground in the morning and made some cards after that. Now they are drying :goofy:. I hope I have time to upload the pictures tomorrow.

HHC
01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I have learned I don't have a protractor, and I'm anal enough to want my color wheel more exact that I can do by eyeballing it. LOL! The challenge will be that I've also committed to not purchasing any art supplies this year, but use what I have on hand. So perhaps if my hubby buys it, because he thinks we should have one, then it doesn't count? LOL :D

Last night I played with mixed paper backgrounds, on a journal page and some ATC's. I've been playing with acrylics, and learned the 93# sketch books don't hold up as well as 140# watercolor paper. :)

I will be starting the Strathmore week 3 exercise soon, but need to do a couple things around the house first. :dull:

HHC
01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
jaw, you need to go to the Picasso exhibit! You can draw and paint later. :D

*Color me jealous* ;)

ginabee
01-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Jaw, that sounds like such a FUN Party!
Sniisk, I'll be looking for your cards.
Taking a break for Lunch.

Helene
01-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Wow Valerie....What a start!!!! they are incredible!

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Gena, a real light thin white gesso wash works wonders on magazine images - give it a try!

If you want it to have a distressed quality, you can put it on a little thicker, and then sand some of the surface with a sanding block. It gives it a very interesting effect. See my Sanding Back exercise (http://artbycamilla.blogspot.com/2010/12/collage-lab-11-sanding-back.html) on my blog if you want to see how they look sanded.

Try these first on images you don't care about, until you master the look you want!

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Standnngrace - WOW! What a great collection! Those all all beautiful :)

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I have learned I don't have a protractor, and I'm anal enough to want my color wheel more exact that I can do by eyeballing it. LOL! The challenge will be that I've also committed to not purchasing any art supplies this year, but use what I have on hand. So perhaps if my hubby buys it, because he thinks we should have one, then it doesn't count? LOL :D

Last night I played with mixed paper backgrounds, on a journal page and some ATC's. I've been playing with acrylics, and learned the 93# sketch books don't hold up as well as 140# watercolor paper. :)

I will be starting the Strathmore week 3 exercise soon, but need to do a couple things around the house first. :dull:

I need a protractor too - are you on the Color unit of Collage Lab?! I need to dig through my top drawer and see if there is one in there. My daughter studied drafting, so I might get lucky!

How can you go a whole year without purchasing any art supplies?! That is a real challenge. Good luck with that! I spent way too much this first month of the year alone, and have vowed not to buy anymore for "a while" whatever that means :)

I love 140# watercolor paper - it can take a lot of abuse and hold up well.

I put off the housework, and did my Strathmore week 3 exercise instead. It's on my blog (http://artbycamilla.blogspot.com/2011/01/visual-journal-workshop-1-week-3.html) if you want to see it.

Put aside that housework and go have some fun!

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:02 PM
jaw, you need to go to the Picasso exhibit! You can draw and paint later. :D

*Color me jealous* ;)

GO TO PICASSO!!!!!! What a great opportunity! Are you taking the grandkids?

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks Helene. In answer to your question, I puddle the beeswax in layers, 3-4 times so that it is quite raised. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then I reheat with my heat gun then stamp with a deeply gouged stamp. The lines on the stamp can't be too close together or the wax will stick to the stamp when lifting. It doesn't always work the first time. Sometimes I have to go back and redo it. Hope this helps. Oh and I almost always use perfect pearls to highlight the crevaces of the stamped wax. And yes, Sharlene this is a reprint of the post I sent to you:jiggy:

Does the wax stay on the rubber stamp too? In the grooves? Are they basically trashed in terms of being able to be used with ink stamping, and you just use them for wax?

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Geesh - I just found this thread and was working on beeswax cards yesterday so I'll post my cards. I just love this technique!
Used PC's, collage papers, tissue paper, gesso, beeswax, acrylic paint and perfect pearls.

Laura, those are beautiful cards!

/me makes a note to add "perfect pearls" to her shopping list, which is always growing......

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks to everyone who complimented my pathetic cats :)

Looking at them all together, I guess they do have a certain bizarre charm. I'll have to try drawing some more. Maybe I will be able to come up with a standard cat that can be used in various settings. I could do a whole series. Cat in a laundry basket, cat on the bed, cat under the Christmas tree (YES, mine is STILL up), etc....!

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I worked a little on drawing this weekend and I did one packing tape transfer [which was remarkably similar to gel medium fabric transfers.]

Things I learned:

Drawing: When I told my MIL "I can't draw" she asked if it was because I was trying to draw what I saw or what I thought I saw. Apparently most people overlay their ideas of what they are seeing with what they are seeing and then have a hard time drawing. I illustrated my own point this weekend by trying to draw a horse. I've been drawing horses as long as I can remember and when I tried this weekend, it just didn't work [proportions were wrong, etc...]. Long story shorter, I spied a bottle opener on the table and drew that instead. By choosing something I wasn't intimately familiar with, I could focus on the lines and shapes within the item, rather than my preconceptions. I also played with repetitive patterns, aka zentangles, which was fun and kinda relaxing.

Packing tape transfers: Just like gel medium/fabric transfers. Keeping the tape wet is key to getting all the paper off. I was surprised that the tape was still sticky after all that water...and I was rather frustrated when it stuck to itself, cat hair and the floor when I accidentally dropped it. [doh!] I don't have an immediate use for it, so I stored it on a plastic report cover.

The results are posted in my gallery.

Khover2002, glad to have you join in with your experiences!

Great idea, drawing something unfamiliar so you didn't draw what you thought it looked like, you drew what you really saw. I'll have to try that.

I have yet to try packing tape transfers, though I want to. I even have a tutorial printed out about how to do it. I think what stops me is that I don't know what to do with it after I make it. How do you mount it so that it stays transparent? Anyone know?

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:17 PM
I just tried a technique in Claudine Hellmuth's book "Collage, Discovery Workshop" It's called plastic wrap crinkle. I used glimmer mist instead of acrylic paints. I' m posting the results.

Those look really cool - tell us how you did it! I've got plastic wrap just dying to be used!

Would you recommend buying that book? Do you like it that much?

Camilla

calluna
01-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Regarding lack of protractors - use a mug, bowl, plate, anything hard and round!

I'm fighting off some kind of sinus infection so I haven't felt like learning much. All I've done in that department is watch some youtube videos demonstrating how to do 1940s hairstyles.

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
well, took a "blendy pens" set I got at Costco to the grandbabies and they colored for an hour and a half! Love seeing little hands with marker all over them LOL! We had ice cream sundaes at midnight and then a tea party ...

we're thinking of heading to Seattle to see the Picasso exhibit ~ which ends today or tomorrow. will see what happens ...

Loving all the wonderful fun you are doing here. I so want to just go home and play with my paints, but ... alas ... must play with others today! LOL

Sounds like you are having fun with the grandbabies! Art, ice cream, and a tea party! Sounds like heaven. Do you have any pictures of them coloring?! Or of their art? Would love to see :)

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Regarding lack of protractors - use a mug, bowl, plate, anything hard and round!

I'm fighting off some kind of sinus infection so I haven't felt like learning much. All I've done in that department is watch some youtube videos demonstrating how to do 1940s hairstyles.

Hey, that counts as learning - 1940s hairstyles were a work of art!

Hope you feel better soon.

Camilla

sharlene54
01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
OK-My last 3 cards. My husband wants to go out to dinner and I'm not even dressed. My hair looks like an orangoutan because of the dry heat.
Anyway, beeswax ATC#6 and 2 beeswax chunkies #7 and #8.

HHC
01-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Those look really cool - tell us how you did it! I've got plastic wrap just dying to be used!

Would you recommend buying that book? Do you like it that much?

Camilla

I love Claudia Hellmuth's Collage Discovery Workshop. It's the first art book I bought, and I've done most of the techniques in it. Love it!

Butting in and answering: do a layer of watercolors on your paper (I use 140#) making sure it's really wet. Have piece of plastic wrap a bit larger than the paper ready. While it's still really wet, lay the plastic wrap on it and smoosh it around with your fingers and let dry. Peel off plastic and viola, cool background!

I need to divide the circle into 12 equal pieces. The compass made my circle, I've got it into 4 pieces, but can't figure out how to measure the rest accurately without the protractor.

theweavershand
01-16-2011, 05:31 PM
i havent tried beeswax on anything but APCs so far...hmmm...the possibilities!

HHC
01-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Here are a few of the backgrounds I've made:
1) mixed papers glued to journal page, stamped script, washed with translucent acrylics, acrylic paint and punchinella texture stencil.
2) layers of acrylic paints "scrubbed" dry, then punchinella stencil over the top. The yellowy looking color is really olive...
3) gesso and tissue smushed, dried, scrubbed paint technique with beige, light blue, dark blue and olive.

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 05:46 PM
OK-My last 3 cards. My husband wants to go out to dinner and I'm not even dressed. My hair looks like an orangoutan because of the dry heat.
Anyway, beeswax ATC#6 and 2 beeswax chunkies #7 and #8.

Absolutely beautiful card and chunkies! I like the idea of beeswax collaging on a 4"x4" base - sometimes I feel too tight on an ATC.

Nice work :) Enjoy your dinner out! You've earned it :)

Camilla

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Here are a few of the backgrounds I've made:
1) mixed papers glued to journal page, stamped script, washed with translucent acrylics, acrylic paint and punchinella texture stencil.
2) layers of acrylic paints "scrubbed" dry, them punchinella stencil over the top. The yellowy looking color is really olive...
3) gesso and tissue smushed, dried, scrubbed paint technique with beige, light blue, dark blue and olive.

LOVE your backgrounds! Very creative. And thanks for explaining the plastic wrap and watercolors technique. I'll have to give that a try :)

Oh, so much new stuff to learn.....

Camilla

sharlene54
01-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Beautiful background papers, HHC. What is translucent acrylic wash? Do you mix yourself or do you buy it?

HHC
01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
HHC - I figured it out - easy with a quilting ruler...

Are you a quilter? Do you have a Creative grid or Omni ruler?

If so they will have a 30 degree line on them..........

If you have one of the rulers I can walk you through it - it's easy!

So, first question, do you have one of those rulers?

Otherwise it will mean making larger circle, extending lines so that intersecting line is divisable by 3... can still be done, just a little more time consuming.

Let me know, PM me if you want. Also, great chat feature on this site, we can do this in real time...... wooo hooo....

G

Gena, who loves MATH problems....

LOL! I am not a quilter and do not have a quilters ruler.... but I do have a clear one that has grids.

HHC
01-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Beautiful background papers, HHC. What is translucent acrylic wash? Do you mix yourself or do you buy it?

Some acrylics are translucent... I just wet the brush and used it straight. (Golden makes them) The craft acrylic (which I have a lot of) is usually opaque, but you can mix them with gel medium or a glaze medium to make it more translucent. I'm not an expert at all... :jimlad:

sharlene54
01-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the information HHC

Art By Camilla
01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
So much great info sharing in this LAT - I am so thrilled with all of you - this has been really fun! I've got 5 hours left until midnight, but I'm about done for the night I think.

How is everyone else holding up?

Camilla

KESagers
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
So much for a few quick errands today. But the sales were awesome!

I started these this morning and finished them tonight.

A series of cards using the Black Magic stamping technique for the LAT this weekend.

Stamp on black cardstock using white pigment ink. Heat set. Color over stamped image with Prismacolor pencils. Add accents using white gel pen.

These are mounted on 2 layers of cardstock making these lightweight ATCs.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_Orange-Flower-magic.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_Purple-Medalion-magic.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_Red-Heat-magic.jpg
Orange Flower, Purple Medalion-traded, Red Heart

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_Blue-Flower-magic.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_Butterfly-magic.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/small/1_Folk-Art-magic.jpg
Blue Flower, Butterfly-traded, Folk Art

KESagers
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
This one will become a chunky some day.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Blue-Bird-magic.jpg
Blue Bird

ginabee
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Fabulous everyone! Such gorgeous eye candy....Thanks HHC for the techniques directions.
Thanks Camilla for Hosting the LAT.
I'm signing off, loved being in the LAT.

theweavershand
01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
wow, Kristin! i love those! what a cool technique and you really did a beautiful job!

KESagers
01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Thank you!

standnngrace
01-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Those are awesome! Kirsten I was hoping to learn about minis =) apcs HELP

What I learned at the learnathon
2 heads are better than one (us being a multi headed being We absolutely rock)
Even though I love "hands on" work.... putting fingers around hot wax and iron is not so good....
hugs all

Linda4atc
01-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Ohh My there was sooo much shared today! I can't remember everything, but I saw beautiful backgrounds, Wax embossing, chunkies, APC's, cute Kitties, and really cool black background art. Love it all

I didn't do any art. Spent most of the day with Hubby. Don't know if i'll get more one stroke practice in tonight before bed. Thankyou all for the compliments. Donna Dewberry One Stroke books, and other art supplies is sold at Michaels and lots of places online. Here is just the first link I looked http://www.plaidonline.com/productSearchResults.asp?cat1ID=16&cat2ID=6 I have books and dvd's.

Gotta go dinner is ready.

lunamoth
01-16-2011, 11:33 PM
I didn't create any art this weekend. Just looked through this thread at what everyone has been doing. WOW!!! Great stuff. I hope to try some of this when I have time. Cheers.

Cricket
01-17-2011, 02:32 AM
I tried to upload one of my ATCs I did this weekend to the thread, but the image just isn't showing up like it should, so the card is in my gallery. I'll upload some more ATCs I did this weekend, later.

Thank you so much for a wonderful time! :jiggy:

Phoenix
01-17-2011, 04:14 AM
I worked a lot to day with cutting images, design, gesso techniques, and paper backgrounds. I was determined to finish some pieces today, but my muse wasn't home and nothing wanted to be "done". So below are the closest I could come to things almost done (not pleased with either one, but I've learned with collage, you can always add more!). I've also got lots of scraps, cutouts, home made stencils, painted backgrounds to put together some more pieces later.

I learned so much this weekend. The Shay book was fantastic guidance and backup for when creative juices weren't flowing; I could always go to a lab and just do the exercise, even if I wasn't aiming for a finished theme or piece.

Thank you to everyone for your input, and to our wonderful hostess!

Phoenix
01-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Things I learned:

I have been drawing for a long time, and have taught it as well; and this is the exact advice I give people. Once you learn to see the lines, spaces (positve and negative) and shapes only, it is easier to represent it on paper. I like your way of putting it: we have preconcieved notions about certain subject matter...maybe that is still why my faces don't always turn out exactly right...hmmm.

I love zentangles! And yes, they are relaxing to me as well.

Art By Camilla
01-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Well, the weekend Learn-a-Thon is officially over, and we begin another week of creativity!

I had a blast working with everyone, and learned some great new tricks, saw some beautiful art, and talked with lots of very nice people :)

Thanks to everyone who participated - you are what made it a success!

I hope we all incorporate even just a little bit of what we learned into our artistic toolboxes - stretch those boundaries of creativity :)

sharlene54
01-17-2011, 11:17 AM
You did a great job, all your comments. I'm sure it was alot of work. Thanks so much.

HHC
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for hosting us this weekend, Camilla! It was so cool seeing what everyone was learning! Fun times had by all. :)

khover2002
01-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for hosting, Camilla! It was so inspiring to see everyone's work, get feedback and to hear about new techniques!

sniisk
01-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the host!

I try to upload my cards from yesterday now.

sniisk
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Here are the three cards I made yesterday.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/296/small/1_15.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/296/small/1_8.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/296/small/1_9.jpg

KESagers
01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Those are great Sniisk!

Thanks go our hostess for fun weekend with lots of great information!

sniisk
01-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks Kristin :).

jaw
01-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Picasso exhibit was awesome! I do believe some of it was stuff he didn't like or just didn't finish. Too much trying to make it have a deep meaning. Some was just screwing around with pen and paper. Anyone that does art knows that. But it truly was a fabulous exhibit and we had to play around in Seattle for over 7 hours before we got to go in. Wonderful day!

goze
01-18-2011, 01:06 AM
sniisk - Loved your cards!

Art By Camilla
01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks Camilla for starting and hosting this thread. It was a great idea, and a lot of fun for everyone who participated. So much fabulous work was done here this weekend!

I collaged on my canvas backgrounds, although I am not sure if I am finished yet - But I thought I would show you how they look so far.

Those are very cool! I especially like the one in the upper right hand corner :)

Camilla

Cricket
01-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Thank you to our wonderful host!

Donnacr
01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
This was a great excuse to try a technique that I have wanted to try for ages - and I even got some swaps out of it!!
Thanks, Camilla,all the encouragement made it a very enjoyable weekend

The most important thing I learnt from this a-thon was: NOT to put my finger on the end of the little iron when it is hot. so-o-o-o-o not a good idea :nah::no::twitcy: