PDA

View Full Version : IRELAND WITH AN EDGE, due March 17, 2011

joes lines
01-20-2011, 02:50 PM
IRELAND WITH AN EDGE, due March 17, 2011

Due Date: In my hands by March 17, 2011. I am swapping out on March 18, so please plan ahead.
Drop date: None, but please be considerate of those who are on the waiting list and let me know as soon as possible if you plan to drop so that another player can have your slot
Number of Items: 3 for 3
Number of participants: 20
Media: Hand Drawn and/or Mixed/collage
International players: Up to 5, and I will cover postage

Theme:
If you love cute leprechauns dancing on rainbows while singing the Rose of Tralee, then this is probably not the St Patrick’s Day swap for you. Rather, this is an opportunity to create cards that take a dark, edgy, creepy, twisted, or skewed approach to the Irish theme. Evil Leprechauns? Absolutely. Banshees? Check. Celebrating a wake with a corpse laid out under the dining room table? You’re in. A hoard of zombies feasting on the tourists in Temple Bar? Right on. Bog bodies (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4589638.stm)? That's the ticket. The mummies in the basement of St. Michan’s Church (http://www.irelandforvisitors.com/articles/mummies_of_st_michans.htm)? Wonderful idea. Feel free to draw from Irish folklore, history or literature (think Bram Stoker, Sheridan Le Fanu’s ghost stories, or The Picture of Dorian Gray), or just let your imagination run wild.

To get you started, THIS LINK (http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/yeats/fip/) points to the full text of W.B. Yeats’s Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry. It’s a good place to start brushing up on your basic changelings, banshees, pookas and the like.

Below: A changeling
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/6594/1_i-28.jpg

Cards
- All cards should be standard 3.5” x 2.5”
- All cards should be sent in clear plastic sleeves. Please use minimal tape when you mail your cards.- Please put your user ID, the title of your card, and the title of this swap (“Ireland with an Edge”) on the back of all cards. A real name, date and location would be nice too.
- Please submit three different cards.
- Please consider quality – you should create cards that you would be proud to display in your own collection. For this swap, please refrain from submitting digital prints, photocopies, photographs, stickers, and bulky embellishments.
- Each card should be unique and original. While variations on a theme are fine, please don't submit three cards that are almost exactly the same.
- Host cards on the theme topic or extra postage to help cover international returns are appreciated, but not required.

Mailing & Postage
- PM me for my address when your cards are finished and ready to mail.
- All participants should include a self addressed, full-sized mailing label.
- US participants should include 64 cents postage (this reflects changes in USPS regarding bulky envelopes).
- I will provide envelopes for all swap returns and will cover postage for the first five international participants.
- Additional International players are very welcome to join but should include funds to cover postage (usually $1, but PM me to be sure)

Returns
I will post to this thread and leave iTraders as I receive cards. Please leave an iTrader for me and Rep Points for card creators after you receive your cards in March.

1. Vicki Z - REC'D CARDS
3. Gemini 50 - REC'D CARDS
4. jo.on.the.go - REC'D CARDS
5. duckduckgoose - REC'D CARDS
6. krystenr - REC'D CARDS
7. Russell - REC'D CARDS
8. bridgetgethins - REC'D CARDS
9. kristinized - REC'D CARDS
10. Griffkeeper - REC'D CARDS
13. loubie - REC'D CARDS
14. michelemergesmartens - REC'D CARDS

moonrose442
01-21-2011, 06:41 AM
I will so be thinking about this one. I will see what I can come up with. So lurking for now. :)

lilywaters
01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
very funny:"(or the picture of dorian gray), or just let your imagination run wild(e?)"

can't join just yet, joe-too many comittments to finish (start), but as a wild banshee myself (and i double as a sin-eater) this is up my alley.

will check back.

Vicki Z
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Looks like I am the first, and I am so IN!!
Please sign me up.

Gina-B
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
ooh lurking. need to have think on this. Nice theme!

joes lines
01-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Vicki-Z, you are the first on the list. Lurkers welcome!

joes lines
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I did a changeling (a fake baby that the fairies replace when they steal a real one), a banshee, and an evil leprechaun.

rockinrobin
01-22-2011, 01:27 AM
I will accept this challenge... (I am twisted) this could work!

joes lines
01-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Welcome rockinrobin and Gemini 50!

jo.on.the.go
01-23-2011, 09:18 AM
I love Ireland - but this will be a challenge - something different from my "pretty little pictures" of stone bridges, "lazy beds" and rolling green hills. So count me in!

RidgeRunner
01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Ohh wow...lurking

joes lines
01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Welcome jo.on.the.go. I'm really happy you're joining the swap!

duckduckgoose
01-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I would like to join please!

joes lines
01-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the swap, duckduckgoose!

Mossiccie
01-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Your themes always amuse and horrify me, Joes lines. I am lurking for now. :D

joes lines
01-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Speaking of Ireland with an edge (a dull, painful edge), is anyone else horrified that the Pogues' version of If I Should Fall from Grace with God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrBLqp-s__o) is now the theme song for a Subaru/hockey mom commercial?

Ravenhawk
01-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I for one am rather chuffed to hear the Pogues sing while Hockeymom and her boys are toolin' 'round. The Pogues get some royalties (hopefully), I dance around, and the rest who are listening haven't a clue what the lyrics are anyway.
It's really all in the perspective anyway, isn't it?
I play it on my car's stereo and nothin' bad has happened to me. (same with those bagpipe battle tunes. In fact, I think the other drivers stay out of MY way!! ;p)

Russell
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey Joe, thanks for pointing in this direction. I had not browsed the open swaps lately. Some edgy Irish cards sound fun; sign me up!

nanner
01-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Lucky Lurky...lurking...will see if I can clear some art space for this waaaay cool swap!

bridgetgethins
01-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Ah Joe, How about the those blue faced bitches morphing into someting sooo feckin' fierce during battle that the Romans ran back to those floating tings and we ruled wild 'til St Patrick escaped his slavery and came back and tamed us all!! What about 'dem? and yes, add me to the list!
Peace,
Bridgetgethins

kristinized
01-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I'll have to do some research, but please count me in!

camcas
01-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Well well. "dark creepy and twisted"....that could work!
I have a lot on for this due date....let me see what I can come up with before I join...would hate to say yes then flake!

1 Art Lady
01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Lurking.... Need to clear the decks first! Awesome theme!

HotMamaRama
01-29-2011, 02:03 AM
Thanks for thinking of me Joe, just the fact that you even mentioned the Pogues makes me want to join your swap. Them, Flogging Molly & Flatfoot 56 are some of my favorite groups.
I would love to join your swap, but we are in the process of selling our house and not sure what my addy will be come March. Hopefully somewhere in Arizona.
If I can get a couple other commitments done, and we can work out an arrangement for the mailing, then I'm in! So for the moment... Gonna lurk. Love the theme!

joes lines
01-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Welcome to krystenr, Russell, bridgetgethins and kristinized (as well as all you lurkers)!

melynda
01-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I am in please sign me up.

gbennett1989
01-29-2011, 01:37 PM
sign me up please ^_^

CIndyjob
01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Well Joe I just spent a LOOOOONG time on You Tube having a Pogues party. Shane breaks my heart...and the Subaru commercial thing cracks me up.
I'll be lurking this one for a bit...I am dating an Irish Fool...if he is not inspiration I sure don;t know what could be !

joes lines
01-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Welcome Griffkeeper, melynda, and gbennett1989!

As long as we're giving shout outs to great versions of Irish music, I'm going to make a plug for The Dropkick Murphys' cover of Fields of Athenry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10agPj0Vzu4).

Bad parenting anecdote: Last year we had to have a sit down with my 5 year old daughter and explain that even though it is an Irish song, and even though mom and dad sing along with it, Whiskey You're the Devil is not an ok song to sing at school on St Patrick's Day.

nanner
01-29-2011, 09:26 PM
even though mom and dad sing along with it, Whiskey You're the Devil is not an ok song to sing at school on St Patrick's Day.

:twitcy:

bridgetgethins
01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
I'll have to do some research, but please count me in!
Here's a book that very interesting and a fast read. "How the Irish Saved Civilization"
I parphrazed a bit of it in my adding to the list thing. dropping my "h".
And Joe that is a funny one about your daughter, yeah. good times making me smile.
Peace,
Bridget

loubie
01-31-2011, 09:01 AM
can i join please?

joes lines
01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Welcome loubie!

joes lines
02-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Welcome Michele!

joes lines
02-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I found THIS RESOURCE (http://www.monstropedia.org/monster/Category:Irish_mythology) today- it has about 50 pages of dark Irish folklore references. Pretty cool stuff.

I also did a Pooka card for the swap.

bridgetgethins
02-07-2011, 09:25 PM
a very cool site. and of course, I looked my name and there was my nickname my Dad called-Biddy! He passed away in '95, but I can still recall..."Biddy!! You'll not go out with with e' curry hanging out like that!" this is a Glaswegian accent-he was raised in Scotland. But now I have to do Biddy.

kristinized
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Great site Joe, thanks for posting! And your Pooka card is inspiring, I'd hate to have an encounter with that guy.

Vicki Z
02-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Mine went into the mail this morning.
Please let me know when they arrive.

joes lines
02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Cards are here from Gemini 50 - thanks for the extra and the early submission!

joes lines
02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
I have wonderful cards here from Vicki Z and Russell. Thank you both for the host card as well.

Getting close to the deadline, but we can take on some new players if anyone is interested.

joes lines
03-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Awesome cards from Loubie are here. The deadline is getting close if anyone still wants to play.

jo.on.the.go
03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I am ready to mail. Please PM an address and these creatures will be on their way.
Bean Sidhe
Dobhar-chu
Puca
Merrow

joes lines
03-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Wonderful cards, Jo!

kristinized
03-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Griff Keeper and Jo - love the cards!

joes lines
03-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Great cards, Griffkeeper. I will pm you my address asap.

joes lines
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Just a reminder, we've got nine days until the swap ends. I'd really like to get these swapped out as soon as possible after the 17th, so please keep an eye on the calendar.

duckduckgoose
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Mine are going out today :)

bridgetgethins
03-10-2011, 10:26 PM
My cards are in my gallery, because I don't know how to put them here. Everyone cards are Irish kickin' arse!
Peace,
Bridgetgethins

joes lines
03-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Great cards everyone!

Some new cards came in on Friday and Saturday from jo.on.the.go, duckduckgoose, and Griffkeeper. Thanks for the host cards, everyone!

joes lines
03-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Cards are here today from michelemergesmartens and bridgetgethins. Thank you both for the host cards!

joes lines
03-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Krystenr's cards came in the mail today - great contributions and thanks for the host card!

kristinized
03-16-2011, 01:10 PM
My cards are in the mail, you should have them tomorrow Joe. I didn't have time to scan them, but I made one of a fachen (the weird creature with one huge eye, rooster hair, and one gnarly foot), two of Morrigan (the dark goddess of war, death) and one of Bram Stoker's dark secret. I really like that monstropedia site you mentioned Joe, I learned that some think that Stoker based Dracula partly on the story of the Abhartach, a blood drinking creature who rose from the dead. Learned something new!

joes lines
03-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Awesome cards from Kristinized are here. I need to check on one more batch of cards, but will swap out either today or tomorrow.

joes lines
03-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi everyone-

Swaps went out on schedule with today's mail. Hopefully everyone will be happy with their returns. Since there were so many host cards (thank you!), I included my cards as bonuses, so a number of you that were chosen at random will be getting a fourth card; everyone else will be getting some extras in the form of shamrock and spring flower block prints.

Please remember to leave itrader for me and reps ("you rock!") for the creators of your cards. Also, if someone could post to this thread once returns start arriving I'd appreciate it - I'm ready to post my next swap, but need confirmation in this thread that returns have started arriving before it can go up.

Thanks for playing!

Russell
03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
What's the next theme Joe?

jo.on.the.go
03-21-2011, 07:37 PM
I got my cards..go for it Joe...we need another challenge. Great hosting.

And great cards from these artists
krystenr - Bleeding Irish Angel
kristinized - Dark Goddess
GriffKeeper - Bean Sidhe
joes lines - Song of the Wandering Aengus

duckduckgoose
03-21-2011, 11:04 PM
awesome returns! thank you!

Russell
03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I received my incredible returns yesterday. Thanks to jo-on-the-go, Gemini50, Kristinized and our super host, Joe.

kristinized
03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
LOVED the returns for this swap, thank you everyone! Thanks to Joe for being a great host, and to Gemini50 (Mummies at St Richards), jo.on.the.go (Bean Sidhe), Griff Keeper (Fear Dearc), and Joe (Banshee) for your art!