PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a Postage Stamp-a-thon?

trini70
03-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I've been working on my cards for the postage stamp swap and I have a BUNCH of stamps and a lot of ideas, more than the swap allows. Who would like to do this? I'll watch this thread and check the calendar for open a-thon weekends if there's enough interest.

CynthiaSillitoe
03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
I'd love it!

sniisk
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Sounds great! But I can't play until at the end of April.

trini70
03-23-2011, 06:39 PM
It won't be for a while. I'm just feeling the water and seeing if there's interest.

GoldenWolf
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
I'd be interested and will play if my schedule allows me to. Feel free to post this to the Use Your Stash-Postage Stamps if you want. I'm sure there would be an interest in it over there :jiggy:

trini70
03-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks GW, I will.

Theresagram
03-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Sounds interesting...

Betsi
03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Yes yes absolutely! I have SO many postage stamps, they are such fun for ATCs. :)

Tinka
03-26-2011, 05:15 AM
I would love a postage stamp -a-thon!

mrubyjean
03-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes, me too!

katrinabean86
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I need to! Too many stamps collecting. They're begging to be used :)

Nancy
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
I would play....

trini70
03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Cool! I'm glad to see that there's some interest.

KESagers
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
I am interested but was wondering if anyone has any tips about soaking and drying postage stamps?

CynthiaSillitoe
03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
It depends on the stamps. For older stamps that aren't self-sticking, I fill a bowl with hot water and put the stamps in it. They just float off the paper after a few minutes. Put them face down on something to dry. (They actually make stamp blotter books for drying them, but a few paper towels folded on top of each other will work.) If the stamps are on colored paper, it sometimes bleeds. I usually soak those alone and change the water.

The self-adhesive stamps sometimes will work with this process or with steaming them over a teapot, but they're pretty stubborn. I've gotten so I just trim the paper around them to a thin border.

Spirit Soul
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Sounds like fun and I have stamps.

KESagers
03-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the tip!

notinkansas
03-31-2011, 03:01 PM
sounds fun~

KESagers
04-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm taking time this afternoon to soak some stamps. I've found that if I let them soak long enough most of them will peel of the backing. However there are a few US sticker stamps that no matter how long I soak them they are not coming off without ripping - so I am taking CynthiaSillitoe's advice and trimming them with scissors.

My next question is how do people adhere the stamps to their art? Gel Medium? Double stick tape?

notinkansas
04-02-2011, 07:26 PM
gel medium

CynthiaSillitoe
04-03-2011, 01:06 AM
I use double stick tape mostly. (I'm the queen of double stick tape.)

KESagers
04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Good to know - thanks!

trini70
04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I just cut my stamps off the envelope. I've run across some old lick & sticks that come right off w/ barely any effort. I use my zig glue pen to adhere mine. I like to ink the edges of the stamps to age them.

miloccpep
04-06-2011, 02:45 AM
Stamp-a-thon! Sounds good to me! When is the date?

trini70
04-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Okay, the official date is set. I asked for it to be added to the calendar. May 13, 14 & 15. If anyone can help me moderate I'd appreciate it.

Theresagram
04-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Cool beans! I'll have to see if I'm off that weekend. Of course it would help if my computer is working by then, so I don't have to run to the kitchen to get on my mom's laptop.

Theresagram
04-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I just got some really neat stamps too, from one of my local scrapbook stores. They have a bin of used postage stamps and I got a handful of them! :)

KESagers
04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Just put it on my calendar. :)

miloccpep
04-10-2011, 09:56 PM
LOL! Like KESagers, I took sometime off to soak the stamps, using CynthiaSillitoe's tips. Like what their predessors said, some floated up, others stayed together. As for steaming, I don't have the patience. I much rather make coffee while the water is boiling. Can't say I am 100% sucessful with all the stamps. A few came off with my help but are finely layered as compared to others. Not sure if I could use them again.
After reading about soaking the stamps, of course I recall now how I used to do that when I was in school! My, that's a long time ago!

Theresagram
04-10-2011, 11:09 PM
LOL! Like KESagers, I took sometime off to soak the stamps, using CynthiaSillitoe's tips. Like what their predessors said, some floated up, others stayed together. As for steaming, I don't have the patience. I much rather make coffee while the water is boiling. Can't say I am 100% sucessful with all the stamps. A few came off with my help but are finely layered as compared to others. Not sure if I could use them again.
After reading about soaking the stamps, of course I recall now how I used to do that when I was in school! My, that's a long time ago!

The ones that are finely layered you could still use them...for an aged look maybe. If you sealed them with something like Krylon spray or Mod Podge. :)

CynthiaSillitoe
04-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Okay, the official date is set. I asked for it to be added to the calendar. May 13, 14 & 15. If anyone can help me moderate I'd appreciate it.

I'm willing, though I'm not sure what's involved. I will have lots of time then, though, so let me know how I can help.

Theresagram
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Woohoo! I'm off that weekend and my computer is back up and running!!!

miloccpep
04-11-2011, 11:22 PM
thanks for the suggestion, Theresagram. I don't have Krylon Spray or Mod Podge to start off with but I believed them to be protective layer? I think I get the idea! I'll see what my muse comes up with by then!

Theresagram
04-11-2011, 11:39 PM
thanks for the suggestion, Theresagram. I don't have Krylon Spray or Mod Podge to start off with but I believed them to be protective layer? I think I get the idea! I'll see what my muse comes up with by then!

If you have a clear Versamark stamp pad and clear embossing powder that would work too. :)

Donnacr
04-17-2011, 06:46 AM
I have SO many stamps this is a wonderful idea - I should almost have some energy back as it will be over a week since my daughter's wedding.

sniisk
04-17-2011, 08:22 AM
I saved all the stamps I got in the envelopes when I was in Latvia. Now I can make a huge amount of postage stamp ATCs :).

Suze
04-29-2011, 11:56 PM
sounds like a fun a thon! Good week end too...............count me in , at least for a few ; )

KESagers
05-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Thought of a question - what about fake postage stamps? I've made fake stamps in the past using digital programs and then I punch them out with a postage stamp punch. Does this count or are with going to stick with real only?

CynthiaSillitoe
05-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I think it would be fun to use fake ones, too. Or images of stamps? Like I have rubber stamps of postage stamps or collage sheets with them.

KESagers
05-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Oh - yes - stamps of stamps would be fun too!

trini70
05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I'd prefer if you used real stamps on them as that's the point of the a-thon, to use up used postage stamps. It's fine by me if you use fake and rubber stamps as well though.

miloccpep
05-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Hear! Hear! I like the idea of using 'fake' stamp and 'rubber' stamp as well. I have some 'fake' stamp, prints from the philatelic museum. The Post Office comes out with new designs almost every month, there is usually a write up with pictures of the stamps as well. I'v used them before for the 'Tree' series in another swap. Looking forward to the swap!

midnitecreations
05-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I like this idea. I've got tons of stamps and many of them duplicates. I'll try to clear off table space to be ready for this. Of course, it'll take me a week to dig my table out!:eek:

trini70
05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Let me amend my previous post. It's okay if you use rubber stamps and fake stamps in addition to the postage stamps, not instead of them. Sorry if I was unclear.

Milo, I have a catalog that I picked up at the PO and it has some great stuff in it for atcs. I also save the backs of the collector stamps that have the info about the subject and have used it w/ the matching stamp on cards.

KESagers
05-04-2011, 08:05 PM
That sounds good - thanks for the clarification. :)

Mouseit
05-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I am interested but was wondering if anyone has any tips about soaking and drying postage stamps?

Kes, I soak them in really really hot water, just boiled from a kettle/jug into a bowl and let them soak, I then use tweezers (2 pairs) to gentle pull them apart (the option on GENTLE here LOL) and while the stamp is still wet and hot I give them a gentle rub with my thumb to get rid of the access sticky stuff.....its a knack and practice helps..LOL and then put them on paper towel as was suggested.

miloccpep
05-09-2011, 08:37 PM
That's correct what Mouseit suggested. There was a thread not too long ago about it. The very hot water helps! I actually had mine in the microwave a couple of times! Be patient and wait for the stamps to separate themselves from the envie. I was not so patient and tried to separate them with tweezers and ended up with a very thin fine layer of the stamp instead of the whole! LOL!

KESagers
05-09-2011, 10:52 PM
You both must have the trick because I soaked in cold water and some of the stamps would not release no matter how long I soaked them. Someone else just posted this question in the other thread so maybe you could give your secret tip about the hot water there also. Thanks for letting me know! :)

midnitecreations
05-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I've not unglued stamps from envies in ages, but then the stamps I used were not the self sticking kind. The old stamps, I'd soak overnight and in the morning they would all be floating in water. The new self stick stamps, I usually trip really close using one of the friskars scissors with the fancy edges. The stamp edged friskar scissor does a pretty good job.

miloccpep
05-09-2011, 11:59 PM
You are right about the self-stick stamps! No matter how hot/boiling/microwave, they just refused to adhere to the rule of releasing each other! Like you mentioned, I cut real close to the edge.

Mouseit
05-10-2011, 03:03 AM

*whispers to anyone who is listening carefully.. hehee*

Modpodge is just PV craft glue watered down by 10%....sshhhhh its a secret to make you pay more for the glue stuff... LOL

Mouseit
05-10-2011, 03:06 AM
I have SO many stamps this is a wonderful idea - I should almost have some energy back as it will be over a week since my daughter's wedding.

OOHHHH Donna where's the pictures?? Come on we all wanna see! LOL

miloccpep
05-10-2011, 05:00 AM

Modpodge is just PV craft glue watered down by 10%....sshhhhh its a secret to make you pay more for the glue stuff... LOL

thanks for the tip. will try that!

midnitecreations
05-10-2011, 09:06 AM

oh wow! Thanks

Mouseit
05-10-2011, 04:48 PM
SHHHSSHHHH LOL But thanks..... ok taking my chat over to the "stamp a thon" thread......

Theresagram
05-11-2011, 09:05 PM

But most of my ModPodge is way thicker than my PV glue. :huh: How do they water it down and make it thicker at the same time? :wideeyed: