PDA

View Full Version : Encaustic Art - Due May 28th

3katz
04-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Due Date ~ May 28, 2011
Sign-up Date ~ None
Withdraw Date ~ None but please let me know so someone else can take part
Number of Cards ~ 3:3
Number of Participants ~ Unlimited (may have to change this depending on take up)
Medium ~ Encaustic only

I love encaustic painting and if anyone has looked at my gallery you will see that its my preferred medium. My favourite thing about them is that your mistakes often turn into your best pieces and if not, well one swipe of the iron and its all gone.

Your encaustic painting can be of anything, it can be abstract, lines, fantasy, landscapes etc. If you are new to encaustic please dont be afraid to join in.

Encaustic painting must be the main focus of your card but feel free to add the odd bits and pieces here and there.

I would love to see your cards posted in the thread but this is not a requirement - just helps me at the end.

HOW I SWAP
If you like a card then make comments about it in the thread - I will be making notes and will try to match at least one card if at all possible, however, I cannot guarantee everyone will get everything they want. After that it will be done on a random basis.

POSTAGE
USA & Canada - Either include $1.00 or loose stamps to the value of $1.00 if you can but please dont let this prevent you for joining if you can't
UK - Large letter stamp (1st or 2nd class)
All Others Countries - Either include $1.00 or stamps to the value of $1.00 but again if you dont have it you are welcome anyway

RETURN ENVELOPES
I will provide the returns envelope for all players but I will require you to enclose your address (sticky labels are great but dont fret if you dont have them).

CARD INFO
Write your user name and swap name on the back of all cards and please remember to put each card into a plastic cover. MOST IMPORTANTLY, please ensure your card is the correct size. I will be returning incorrect sizes to you regardless of how close to the deadline you are (and I do measure them...lol).

WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR RETURNS
You can leave 'You Rock's' for your fellow players and iTrader for me. I will leave iTrader once the swap has closed.

If you have read this far then I hope you will want to join, hope everyone enjoys this one.

Players

1 - Wil Opio Oguta - Recd
2 - withdrawn
3- louisezee - Recd
4 - Busybear - Recd
5 - bigtoestudio - Recd
6 - scwk0511 - Recd
7 - sogrady - Recd
8 - gunnmarit - Recd
9 - KittyNL - Recd
10 - lacemuse - Recd
11 - withdrawn
12 - jo.on.the.go - Recd
13 - mrubyjean - Recd

Wil Opio Oguta
04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I have only used encaustic a few times, but I like the results. Okay I admit, till now my results have looked like abstracts only :twitcy: Please sign me up.

3katz
04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
My first sign up Wil, I love the abstracts and they will be perfect for the swap :v_spin:

3katz
04-01-2011, 03:27 PM
roflmao.....the missing words in the text marked with *** are 'a t c' but for whatever reason its not retaining the letters. Has *** become some kind of rude word!!?? :eek:

Gonna change *** to card just in case anyone thinks I have lost the plot

3katz
04-01-2011, 03:30 PM
:unsure: ok that worked but even the word a t c has become asterixed out in my signature...oh my, what have I done:twitcy:

mrubyjean
04-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Great swap! I have had kind of an encaustic block lately...so let me try to get out my stuff and see if I can find some inspiration before I sign up! Thanks!

DAD
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
That's a funny title for a swap!:nah: I'm not sure I understand! Could you explain? It's encaustic ***, tart, mart?

big toe studio
04-02-2011, 05:26 AM
sign me up, please

WyvernSian
04-02-2011, 05:34 AM
I'll lurk for the time being.

Sadly I don't have much time for ATCs at the moment, but I'll join if I get the chance to do some as I love encaustic.

big toe studio
04-02-2011, 05:48 AM
WOW, I just checked out your blog-amazing cards.
I learned encaustic with an iron like a small travel iron, and I have a stylus,but have never gotten such details as you have in your backgrounds. what to you use?

scwk0511
04-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I got an encaustic kit for Christmas and have barely used it. This will give me the motivation I need. Please sign me up!

kentuckydakota
04-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't own an iron or crayons, but i'd love to follow this as I'm curious how it works. Everyone be very chatty as to how you accomplish your beautiful works of art ok?
Lurking

3katz
04-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I was a little worried there would only be one or two encaustic painters out there but so glad there are more of you. Welcome everyone to the swap.

mrubyjean - I hope you find your inspiration, I would put some new stuff in my gallery if I could but I am just waiting on some supplies....hopefully they will arrive before next weekend and I can start painting again.

3katz
04-02-2011, 03:36 PM
If I sign up, it will force me to stop procrastinating. This is completely new to me although I have a little old iron. Can I use old crayons for my colours or do I have to purchase special wax?

I have seen others use crayons and get some really good results....let me know how you get on. It works best on glossy paper as the wax can be moved - hope that helps

3katz
04-02-2011, 03:37 PM
That's a funny title for a swap!:nah: I'm not sure I understand! Could you explain? It's encaustic ***, tart, mart?

:wideeyed: encaustic tart :wideeyed: would have made for an intersting swap...lol

3katz
04-02-2011, 03:41 PM
WOW, I just checked out your blog-amazing cards.
I learned encaustic with an iron like a small travel iron, and I have a stylus,but have never gotten such details as you have in your backgrounds. what to you use?

hi bigtoestudio - I use an iron and stylus too. Iron for the background and the stylus for stuff like trees, for tree foliage I use the wire brush that fits onto the stylus.

sogrady
04-02-2011, 07:36 PM
please sign me up.....I have used an old pancake griddle instead of an iron.....just make sure you are all done fixing pancakes on it as it will never be food worthy again.

gunnmarit
04-03-2011, 07:36 AM
I am in! Great with an Encaustic art swap! I am ready to ship mine over the sea!

KittyNL
04-03-2011, 07:46 AM
OK.... I was lurking.... but decided to join. I have an encaustic starter set (with an iron), but haven't done a lot with it yet. So, I could do with some practise.

3katz
04-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Wonderful, great to have you all join in.

lacemuse
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy! I can do this swap - newby encaustic painters?!? Sign me up please!

My supplies arrived Sat. I had company, so couldn't try them out until Sun afternoon. I played for about 1 1/2 hours & actually have created a controlled landscape that I like!! :chatterbox: I'm going to practice daily, so I'll have some decent cards to swap! I can't wait to try the fantasy abstracts, but I have to say I'm LOVING doing the landscapes! The concept of layers to create depth has me enthralled!

Question for ICat. The smallest card I've worked on is 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 with the iron. Do you use just the iron on ATC sized cards, or do I need the stilus tool to work that small?

Oh, did I say I'd like to play? Oh, yes, I did.

3katz
04-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Brilliant, I was on my way to give you a little nudge in this direction lacemuse as I was hoping your stuff had arrived :)

I cut the card to ATC size and use the iron for the background. I tend to just put wax on the top third of the iron (tip end) if I want to do sky first and same again to add landscape.

If I want to cover a full ATC size card I put wax on just under half the iron.

I use the stylus to draw in details like the trees, birds and castles. There is an extra attachment for the stylus, like a wire brush and I use this to add details like foliage to trees.

Yell if I can be of any assistance.

lacemuse
04-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Oh, thanks for thinking of me. I did a search on the forum & up popped your swap!

Thanks for the tips. I've ordered the stylus, since I knew I'd want to use it for trees. I practiced birds for quite a while & finally used the iron like a giant pen & got some decent looking birds.

I'll cut some atc sized cards tonight & start practicing small. Yeek!

Brilliant, I was on my way to give you a little nudge in this direction lacemuse as I was hoping your stuff had arrived :)

I cut the card to ATC size and use the iron for the background. I tend to just put wax on the top third of the iron (tip end) if I want to do sky first and same again to add landscape.

If I want to cover a full ATC size card I put wax on just under half the iron.

I use the stylus to draw in details like the trees, birds and castles. There is an extra attachment for the stylus, like a wire brush and I use this to add details like foliage to trees.

Yell if I can be of any assistance.

3katz
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
:wubclub: Good luck and if it all goes wrong just call it an 'abstract' thats what I do...lol

lacemuse
04-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Yes, & you can re-work it. I've gotten some great results re-working portions I didn't like.

:wubclub: Good luck and if it all goes wrong just call it an 'abstract' thats what I do...lol

lacemuse
04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
OK, I've been practicing. Here's a link to my blog where I posted my first 2 landscapes. My stylus arrived yesterday, so yippee! I can try adding trees. So many things to try!
http://alteredmusings.blogspot.com/

3katz
04-07-2011, 04:38 PM
lacemuse, they are really really good, hope you are enjoying this technique because you are going to get a lot of trade requests :spinny:

mrubyjean
04-07-2011, 05:44 PM
lacemuse, those are beautiful!

aznfg
04-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Can I ask how this is done? I've done wax collage but never wax painting. Do you color over the wax?

lacemuse
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks 3katz & mrubyjean! I'm having so much fun! Learning to control the wax is challenging, & I will need to do lots of practicing. Here are the ones I did last night. I seem to have a problem leaving a good card alone. I always think I should do something more, then I ruin it.

The tree looked way better BEFORE I ruined the foreground & had to rework it (the plant looks like it's not attached) & BEFORE I added the foliage to the tree which hides the distant hills. I need do find a better scratching tool, because the castle isn't very well defined on the fantasy card & it needs windows & the moat door darkened. The 3rd card I love! It makes me feel like I'm sitting up on a high hill.

lacemuse
04-08-2011, 09:31 AM
The technique I'm doing & the one 3katz does is painting with a heated tool & colored blocks of wax. The tools are a craft iron & heated stylus. You melt the wax onto the tool & apply it to the surface.

Can I ask how this is done? I've done wax collage but never wax painting. Do you color over the wax?

lacemuse
04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Oh, thanks so much Maria! It was work! LOL! Lots of reworks. :goofy:I'm still learning how the wax flows & how to put it where I want it - major control issues. :laugh: I'm using up a lot of wax quickly.

3katz
04-08-2011, 03:59 PM
lacemuse - I use a c**ktail stick to scratch the wax off. You can buy a special 'scratchty stick' (not the technical term..lol) but I think c**ktail sticks do the job just as well and are cheap. For atc sized cards anyway

lacemuse
04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the tip 3katz. I got by with a wooden skewer - still not perfect but better.

lacemuse - I use a c**ktail stick to scratch the wax off. You can buy a special 'scratchty stick' (not the technical term..lol) but I think c**ktail sticks do the job just as well and are cheap. For atc sized cards anyway

lacemuse
04-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Here are today's cards. I love the cattails, but they're a little shakey & really need more leaves & stalks - mo practice, mo practice.:rolleyes: It was a LOT easier doing the sky today & my hills were easier to control, too. I think if I'm going to have wind-blown skies, the plants should be bent over a bit, too.

Wil Opio Oguta
04-09-2011, 04:07 AM
My cards are done. I love the abstract effect you can create with this technique. I used both encaustic wax as well as crayola's and finished the cards off with an ink stamp. Here are the pictures:

3katz
04-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Gorgeous colours Wil, amazing atc's :)

3katz
04-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Here are today's cards. I love the cattails, but they're a little shakey & really need more leaves & stalks - mo practice, mo practice.:rolleyes: It was a LOT easier doing the sky today & my hills were easier to control, too. I think if I'm going to have wind-blown skies, the plants should be bent over a bit, too.

Beautiful, both of them but I have to say that I love the summer flowers in your second one

lacemuse
04-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes Wil, those are pretty! I bet they have some nice texture!!

lacemuse
04-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks 3katz! Yes, the flowers were fun to do - really easy, just a dab of color, or a little smear of color.

lacemuse
04-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Today's cards. Now, I have to decide which ones to use for the swap, or maybe I'll have a whole nother set by the time I'm ready to mail.:eek:

I used the tissue transfer technique for the rocks on the path. That's such a coooool technique!!! For those who don't know, you lay a tissue on the wax & apply the hot iron. Then, lay the tissue wherever you want your rocks to be. You're working blind, so place the waxed tissue where you want the rock to be, & apply the hot iron. The wax transfers to the cardstock. Cool!

3katz
04-09-2011, 05:12 PM
I am really itching to do some painting now but I am waiting for a delivery of supplies :wideeyed: no paper :wacko:

lacemuse
04-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Which makes me wonder... Can you use photo paper? It has a glossy surface, & seems very much like the paper I ordered from the encaustic's supplier. Wandering minds want to know.:cute:

I am really itching to do some painting now but I am waiting for a delivery of supplies :wideeyed: no paper :wacko:

HiddenTreasure2010
04-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I would love to join, looks like alot of fun.

Cheers Karen

3katz
04-10-2011, 04:44 AM
HiddenTreasure2010 great to have you join in :) Just yell if you have any questions and hopefully we will be able to answer :cute:

lacemuse - now there's a question, I have some photo paper so if I get the time later I may give it a go and see.
Going to be in the garden today (mini heatwave at the moment) hopefully distressing a cheap picture frame I picked up...its an ongoing project but I want to use it to frame some of the gorgeous atc's I have received over the years.

lacemuse
04-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Have you tried the back side of the photo paper? I use photo paper is used for alcohol inks, but the back works best for me. I'm going to see if I still have some lurking about & give it a try.

I have been using photo paper snce I started! Works fine as long as you don't stay in on place too long and then it bubbles. BUT if you bubble it, it looks like rocks and gives some dimension! Give it a shot!

3katz
04-10-2011, 10:38 AM
I have been using photo paper snce I started! Works fine as long as you don't stay in on place too long and then it bubbles. BUT if you bubble it, it looks like rocks and gives some dimension! Give it a shot!

Now that sounds interesting, I am going to have a go at creating bubbles just to see how it all fits in the overall look. Thanks Mariak

If anyone else has any hints or tips dont be shy :chatterbox:

jo.on.the.go
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Please sign me up...I already made some cards. I am in London visiting Joss so I can send them right away. Here is one of my cards...they are all available for viewing in my gallery.

3katz
04-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Brilliant jo.on.the.go. your added. Gorgeous colours you have used

lacemuse
04-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Has anyone seen the youtube video on encaustic wax & shellac burn? It's amazing! I'm going to try it!! Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjdd7GzxViQ

So, you have your abstract encaustic painted on clay board. Place it on a ceramic tile. You do this outside, because there's fire involved.

You have a small container of clear shellac, 2 other small containers of clear shellac each tinted with a different PearlX powder that goes well with your abstract.

Lay the painting on the tile. Paint a coat of clear shellac on the encaustic abstract, then dribble & dab on the colored shellacs with a flat stick, sprinkle a bit of PearlX powder. Then <insert drum roll here> with a lit match, ignite the painting! Let it burn until the fire goes out. Repeat with dribbling & dabbing on more of the colored shellac & add a bit more PearlX powder, & <drum roll again> ignite. Let it burn till the fire goes out. Repeat until your encaustic is a masterpiece of layers of melted wax & PearlX. Let it dry overnight.

My lurking PyroMuse is really excited about trying this.:eek:

Heading to the hardware store this afternoon.

Burn Baby Burn!!:jimlad:

3katz
04-12-2011, 02:34 PM
(3katz is on standby with a fire hose just in case)

That actually looks really good and such a unique end product. Three of those would look great in my hallway. Unfortunately I have wwwwaaayyyy too many projects on the go at the moment so this will have to go on the (very long) list of things to try.

Would love to see your results lacemuse if you do have a go :cool:

I am happy today as my encaustic art supplies have arrived along with an encaustic painting I asked another artist to do for me. Will post the painting on my blog this weekend and hopefully will have a little more work to show.

lacemuse
04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
OMG!! I did the encaustic shellac burn this evening. I'm LOVING this!! I started with an encaustic wax landscape abstract. Mountains, lakes, plants in the foreground. I really liked it better after burn #2, but as usual, I had to keep messing with it. Still, I think it's pretty cool the way the burning brought such texture to the painting. It looks way more abstract than it started. You can't see the silver PearlEx which is really shimmery. The smallest clay board I could find was 8"x10".

I love the blue dots just below the center of the painting - that's from the burn. They look like a field of flowers. It's got lots of texture from the burn, too.

lacemuse
04-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the compliment Mariak! You know, I've always been so strict with myself & my art - everything has to be just so & perfect. I've been working on loosening up & being less structured with my art. This was soooooooooo freeing!! I mean create, then burn - that's fearless art! :jiggy:I have to admit - it felt really good to go a little crazy!:spinny:

I found the clay board at Hobby Lobby in the art supplies. The 8"x10" was the smallest I could find, but maybe they come in smaller sizes & they were out of them.

You are crazy! I can't beleive you did it! You did a wonderful job though. I am impressed. Where did you find clay board? I may have to give it a shot!

3katz
04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Wonderful lacemuse, I wonder if this could be done on an ordinary ceramic tile???? They are quite cheap to purchase and you can choose from a variety of sizes.

I really love the colours, may just ave to bump this project to the top of my list. :spinny:

3katz
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Dont forget to show us the results lacemuse

3katz
04-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Nearly forgot why I came on here in the first place.....lol

Had the first few arrivals today from:

KittyNL
Wil Opio Oguta

The scanned pictures where nice but they really are gorgeous, love the colours you have both selected.

lacemuse
04-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Very pretty card jo.on.the.go! I love that orange color.

lacemuse
04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Here's another encaustic atc. I was shopping for clay boards at Hobby Lobby & they have all this new ATC stuff!!! Kits with 3 small vials of color-coordinated beads or beads & sequens. Little fiber kits. A set of artists brushes with short handles & in small sizes to work at the ATC size!! These very cute little ATC sized blank greeting cards that you slide your ATC into (see pic)!! I can't remember all of what I saw - I was trying to be good & not buy stuff I really didn't need, but there was lots of it!! Oh, new pre-cut atcs in lots of different materials. I cut my own, but still...

I have an atc die, so I can use one of the cards as a template & make my own with the die!!! Woooooooooooooohoooooo!!!! I'm thinking they'd made great hostess gifts with an extra card in them!

Oh, & if you'd like to, please go check my blog to see my first 8"x10" encaustic painting.

3katz
04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Now that is beautiful lacemuse but who are you trying to kid when you said you are trying to be good and not buy stuff...lol :spinny:

I say that to myself all the time but it never works.

I have just ordered some alcohol inks, never used them before and I want to see if they can be used with encaustics...probably just turn into a big mess but I will have fun trying

3katz
04-20-2011, 04:32 PM
A couple of envelopes arrived today from:

jo.on.the.go
gunmarit

Really lovely work both of you

ICraft
04-21-2011, 03:38 AM
I noticed the asterik thing a couple of times in random forums and was totally confused - I was thinking - gee are they swearing in their text - no couldn't be that but what is it? Let's see if I can write ATC - is it naughty or no?

Even though I'm not playing in your swap - just can't add anymore craft supplies to my arsenal right now - I hope you don't mind me checking in and seeing how everyone is doing and how the cards are coming along.

roflmao.....the missing words in the text marked with *** are 'a t c' but for whatever reason its not retaining the letters. Has *** become some kind of rude word!!?? :eek:

Gonna change *** to card just in case anyone thinks I have lost the plot

ICraft
04-21-2011, 03:39 AM
Oh I guess it's just you who can't write ATC - haha!

lacemuse
04-21-2011, 10:19 AM
:wideeyed: OK, well I did pretty good. I only bought the brushes & cards. Of course, I'm planning another trip to HL this week - you know, in an effort to spread the spending over a few weeks time!:biglaugh:

Now that is beautiful lacemuse but who are you trying to kid when you said you are trying to be good and not buy stuff...lol :spinny:

I say that to myself all the time but it never works.

I have just ordered some alcohol inks, never used them before and I want to see if they can be used with encaustics...probably just turn into a big mess but I will have fun trying

lacemuse
04-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Those asteriks were from April Fool's Day. Every time you typed the word art or ATC that's what appeared. Some of us used those words enough we got a reprimand from the Admin's. It was soooooooooo much fun!!

I noticed the asterik thing a couple of times in random forums and was totally confused - I was thinking - gee are they swearing in their text - no couldn't be that but what is it? Let's see if I can write ATC - is it naughty or no?

Even though I'm not playing in your swap - just can't add anymore craft supplies to my arsenal right now - I hope you don't mind me checking in and seeing how everyone is doing and how the cards are coming along.

lacemuse
04-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, you can use alcohol inks with encaustic. I haven't tried it, though. Here's a cute idea for coloring Easter Eggs with alcohol inks.
http://tinyurl.com/alcohol-ink-eggs

<snip>

3katz
04-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Of course I dont mind, be great to have you check in, you never know we may be able to tempt you for the next one....

I am hoping to be able to paint some this weekend although I do have painting of a different kind to do tomorrow (bedroom urghhhh!)

3katz
04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Those asteriks were from April Fool's Day. Every time you typed the word art or ATC that's what appeared. Some of us used those words enough we got a reprimand from the Admin's. It was soooooooooo much fun!!

It put me in a right panick at first as I had copied the text from another swap and I thought I had brought a virus onto the site. :wideeyed: I was on my way to email an admininstrator to apologise when I notice other posts had the same thing...cant tell you how relieved I was :wacko:

3katz
04-21-2011, 03:21 PM
lacemuse those eggs look beautiful......oh please visit me soon Mr(s) Postperson

LauraB
04-24-2011, 03:57 AM
Hi -- I do encaustic, but not with colored wax. I learned to work with clear wax, a la Patricia Baldwin Seggebruch in her book "Encaustic Workshop." I've looked at your blog, 3katz, and love your work, but mine is very different. I have an example in my gallery -- Sunrise-West Beach. Will this style of mine be acceptable for this swap? I'd love to participate. Thanks!

SOTO
04-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Is there a USA source for the stylus, or a brand name? I am wow'ed by the results I've seen here, esp those with what appear to be black ink detailing. I only have a craft iron and Crayola crayons, and can't begin to get any kind of detailing like some of you have.
Oh, the clay board someone mentioned as a base for doing the shellac/pyro thing (which I'd love to do - is that readily available in the States?
Thanks,

SOTO

3katz
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
SOTO, the best place to try is eBay although they dont get posted too often.

I use one that is branded 'Encaustic art No. 5305. This link should take you to a picture (I have never ordered from here so cant recommend them personally):

http://www.encaustic.com/products/stylus/stylus.html

lacemuse
04-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Soto, The clay board came from Hobby Lobby. The link 3katz put in her last post has all the info you'll need for what to purchase & where. Hint - Go the the "World Suppliers" button to purchase here in the US.;)

You won't get the same results that 3katz & I get using crayons. You'll need to use encaustic wax which is specially formulated to be used with heat. We're also using a special shiny cardstock that allows the wax to move freely.

It was a bit pricey to get started, but I've always been told by teaching artists, "Purchase the best tools you can afford." It's true that the wrong tools make for a lot of waste & frustration. I purchased both the iron & stylus that are at the link 3katz gave you as well as the special glossy-coated cardstock & their special formula of encaustic wax. It's made without resin, so it's non-toxic.

Is there a USA source for the stylus, or a brand name? I am wow'ed by the results I've seen here, esp those with what appear to be black ink detailing. I only have a craft iron and Crayola crayons, and can't begin to get any kind of detailing like some of you have.
Oh, the clay board someone mentioned as a base for doing the shellac/pyro thing (which I'd love to do - is that readily available in the States?
Thanks,

SOTO

lacemuse
04-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Well, I tried several different things this evening. I tried blowing wax with an embossing gun. Didn't work well, & I can't seem to find my heat gun. Grrrrrrrrrr!!

I finally decided to play with flowers. I used the mini iron tip on the stylus for the entire card except the stems. I used the drawing stylus for those. Now, I like this so much, I can't trade it until I do another one like it! That gives me something to work on this week. I should have several cards in the Gallery for trading my the end of the week.

scwk0511
04-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Just emerged from encaustic heaven. My first 'real' attempt, on my own (without hubby telling me what I am doing wrong), and I think it went ok. I managed to make three small landscapes that I like and lots of abstract things. Here is my take on the process:

My iron handle broke twice. Epoxy putty solved that little issue.
It is all about the delicate touch. I am still learning.
I need more colours of wax and paper!
If you get your iron too hot, your paper will bubble. Not a look I am going for at all.
I think I like the abstracts as much as the landscapes.
The polishing at he end is key to make the card shine and the colours pop.

So let me decide which cards I am going to include in the swap and I will get them in the post. This has been fun and has encouraged me to do more with wax...

Hope

lacemuse
04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Can't wait to see your cards Hope!! Sounds like your hooked, too!! It's such a magical process isn't it?

scwk0511
04-26-2011, 10:49 AM
i have my cards in my gallery. darned if I can figure out how to do those little tumbnail pics in the threads.

mrubyjean
04-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Those are lovely, scwk0511!

lacemuse
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Very pretty cards Hope!

3katz
04-26-2011, 04:47 PM
lacemuse your roses are lovely

scwk0511 - the cards in your gallery are gorgeous, well done. I love the abstracts too, I think because for me they are easier to do and I can see so many different things in them.

I have just got some black gloss card and cant wait to find the time to try it out as I have only worked on white so far.

lacemuse
04-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks! Ooooooooo, can't wait to see what you do with the black cards!!

lacemuse your roses are lovely

scwk0511 - the cards in your gallery are gorgeous, well done. I love the abstracts too, I think because for me they are easier to do and I can see so many different things in them.

I have just got some black gloss card and cant wait to find the time to try it out as I have only worked on white so far.

lacemuse
04-27-2011, 11:54 AM
It's a known fact that I'm a control FREAK! LOL! Wax is soooooooo hard to control, so when I did the roses, I had to get control. When I finally did figure it out, it was like winning the lottery! :spinny: So, for me the controlled is more satisfying.

I do love the surprises of the abstract, though. I've seen encaustic wax paintings done on a hotplate that are fabulous & they're abstract/fantasy paintings.

I figure, if I can control encaustic wax, I can control oil paints!! We'll see if that theory holds true, though. I've always been sceeeeered to death of trying oils!

I can see this is a very challenging medium as I only have the craft iron and crayolas.
Nevertheless, I did have fun, although I don't have alot of control at this point, I can see it becoming addictive! And i think the little miracles that happen are more rewarding than the intentionals!

The Elegant Faerie
04-27-2011, 12:26 PM
i love the look of encaustic art and would love to try it but live in canada and i might as well be on another planet no one has heard of encaustic art and nowhere to get supplies i do cross the border into the states do you know of any place i can get a stater set . and what do you seal your cards with or do you at all i hope some one can help me find my why into ecxaustic art please

The Elegant Faerie
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
one more thing is there a specific type of paper to use because i do have a small travel iron i could use

3katz
04-27-2011, 04:31 PM
louisezee, I bet your work looks fantastic :)

3katz
04-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I figure, if I can control encaustic wax, I can control oil paints!! We'll see if that theory holds true, though. I've always been sceeeeered to death of trying oils!

hahaha, me too and I still am. I have enough trouble with the wax but I figure at least you can wipe out mistakes :wubclub:

3katz
04-27-2011, 04:39 PM
The Elegant Faerie - I am not sure about where in the USA you can get starter kits but I bet lacemuse could point you in the right direction. I posted a link earlier in the thread, I have never used them but they may post out to Canada.....

The card we use is a special glossy paper for encaustic waxes but a lot of people have said they use photograph paper. I havent tried it yet but I do have a few scraps to give it a go on and I can always let you know how it compares.

Someone mentioned that the photo paper can bubble if the iron is too hot so my suggestion would be to set your craft iron to the lowest setting and then see if the wax will melt on it, if not turn it up slightly.

A couple of players have been using crayola crayons instead of the coloured encaustic waxes. Again, I havent tried this but the pictures look great. I think there may be a 'smell' if you use these though. With the proper waxes there is no smell (not one I notice anyway).

If you decide to give it a whirl you are more than welcome to join the swap :)

The Elegant Faerie
04-27-2011, 05:02 PM
thank you for your tips i will keep looking for supplies but i will give what you suggested i will keep looking in to see what people come up with

lacemuse
04-28-2011, 10:29 AM
For supplies in the US - I went to this site, then go to the World Suppliers button to locate the US sellers. I've ordered from 2 different US suppliers & was happy with both.

http://www.encaustic.com/products/stylus/stylus.html

thank you for your tips i will keep looking for supplies but i will give what you suggested i will keep looking in to see what people come up with

scwk0511
04-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I now have a ton of ATC size backgrounds to play with. Question is...what sort of adhesive would you use to attach printed to the cards? i have some great abstracts that would be fab backgrounds for a swap that I have coming up. any ideas?

lacemuse
04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
OK, my cards are going postal this afternoon. Here are the one's I've decided to send:

I've added a couple to my gallery that are for 1on1 trades, & will add some more this week-end. Hopefully, I can do some 1on1 trades with them!

mrubyjean
04-29-2011, 02:18 PM
All lovely, lacemuse...especially those cattails!!

I've cleared my art table and set up my ecaustics and if any of my experimenting works out, I'll be joining ~ thanks!

3katz
05-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Been painting on the black card and I must say that it is no where near as good as the white card. It is really difficult to get the movement going and to get any real texture. I have no idea why but it seems it is better suited for flat painting.

You will see what I mean when you compare these (done on black card, to the ones I will post next which were done on white card):

3katz
05-01-2011, 11:17 AM
These are the ones on white card and you can see around the edges where there is a lot more texture and detail:

3katz
05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I am going to experiment more with the black card but I think I can safely say that I will not be buying any more of it :no:

3katz
05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Busybear - your gorgeous cards arrived yeserday

3katz
05-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I now have a ton of ATC size backgrounds to play with. Question is...what sort of adhesive would you use to attach printed to the cards? i have some great abstracts that would be fab backgrounds for a swap that I have coming up. any ideas?

I tried a few glues but found they didnt stick very well (I am a messy worker and get as much wax on the back of my cards as the front), or the cards curled up slightly.

I then moved onto using ordinary white stickers which worked well but I now just use a black felt tip pen to write on the backs.

Whatever you do dont use any ordinary ballpoint pen as you can see the indents it makes through the front of your card (or it may just be my heavy hand that caused that). :wideeyed:

mrubyjean
05-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I use double-sided sticky tape to attach printed info to the back of my wax cards.

And, 3katz, I see what you mean bout the detail on the white, as compared to the black card...but I think your white tree/landscape on the black card is really striking and lovely!

scwk0511
05-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I ended up using a very strong glue stick to attach images to the front of my cards. I have used this for everything else and it has yet to let me down.

lacemuse
05-01-2011, 04:35 PM
I see the difference in the black & white, too 3katz, but I really like that white tree!! I think the simplicity of the card is beautiful - it imparts serenity.

Glue - If you're talking about glueing to the backside of the card, I have pre-printed, pre-cut papers that have all my info. on them with some of my art. It's always printed in black & white. I just add the swap name & my signature, then I use Modge Podge to adhere it to the back of all my ATC's.

For glueing items to the front, I'd use Modge Podge, but don't get it onto areas of the card where you want to paint or whatever. I've never had good luck with glue sticks of any type. Eventually, the glue becomes brittle & the glued pieces come off. For collages, I've also used Gel Medium, but it can cause paper to wrinkle, so you have to smooth it out right away.

lacemuse
05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
These are beautiful! Love that moon effect!

These are the ones on white card and you can see around the edges where there is a lot more texture and detail:

lacemuse
05-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I didn't get to the PO Fri, so I have the envy with me & will drop them this afternoon.

3katz
05-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks for your comments on the black card atc's, really appreciate the feedback. I think I am going to try a few more of the pastel colours as these seem to work better and will stick with more detailed painting with the heated pen tool rather than the iron.

Think I am also going to see how well the tissue transfer works on black... a project for next weekend

lacemuse
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
3katz, did you try adjusting the temp of your iron when you're using the black card? Can't wait to see your tissue transfer on black.

3katz & anyone else interested, please come & join other encaustic artists at:
http://encausticart.ning.com/

lacemuse
05-07-2011, 01:30 PM
They're beautiful louisezee!

Well, I've posted my encaustics in my gallery. I hope they're ok!

scwk0511
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
I mailed my cards on the 30th of April. At what point should I begin to panic?

big toe studio
05-07-2011, 03:40 PM
OK, I'm feeling like a complete amateur here. everything posted looks soooo good

I'm posting my first attempts and asking for tips and suggestions
thanks

lacemuse
05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Those are lovely!! I love the flowers, & your choice of colors! Well done!

OK, I'm feeling like a complete amateur here. everything posted looks soooo good

I'm posting my first attempts and asking for tips and suggestions
thanks

big toe studio
05-07-2011, 08:26 PM
what a boost, thanks

3katz
05-08-2011, 10:56 AM
big toe studio - your encaustic art is beautiful, I have never got the hang of painting flowers, yours are very pretty

3katz
05-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I mailed my cards on the 30th of April. At what point should I begin to panic?

Mail to me can take up to two weeks so I wouldnt worry just yet. I did receive some yesterday and I am just opening them up now so yours could be one of them. Give me a couple of mins and I will post.

3katz
05-08-2011, 11:01 AM
ok, post all opened and for this swap I received two lots. Gorgeous work received from:

lacemuse
scwk0511

:wubclub:

3katz
05-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I have left itrader for all the atc's I have received so far so if you are showing on the list as received but havent got itrader just let me know and I will put it right :)

mrubyjean
05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
OK...please sign me up!
Here are my cards ~

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/512/medium/1_encausticswap1.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/512/medium/1_encausticswap2.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/512/medium/1_encausticswap3.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/512/medium/1_encausticswap4.jpg

And thank you for the encouragement to do encaustic work again!

scwk0511
05-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Wowza...are those fabulous or what? I am now more inspired than ever to get myslef a stylus and do some serious encaustic work! Lovely, lovely!

3katz
05-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Beautiful encaustic art mrubyjean, so glad you could join in :spinny:

mrubyjean
05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks! :wubclub:

sogrady
05-09-2011, 01:21 AM
wow....all these cards are great...feeling a little out of my element and
league...all ready to blame it on my crude tools and skill but still having
fun and that is the object of a new endeavor......
71198 71199

71200 71201

lacemuse
05-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Bravo! Bravo mrubyjean & sogrady!! I love your sun mrubyjean! I have that stylus tip, but haven't used it yet.

mrubyjean
05-09-2011, 09:46 AM
sogrady ~ I really like your cards, especially the one with on black! Great use of sgriffito!

mrubyjean
05-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks, lacemuce...I love the round tip...makes great moons too!

3katz
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
sogrady your encaustic work is beautiful, you should be very pleased with it :)

sogrady
05-10-2011, 05:25 PM
thanks everyone for your kind words.....helps calm the creative insecurity that I get
when trying out new techniques....wish I was more devil me care but maybe that will
happen one of these days! my cards are in the mail!

big toe studio
05-11-2011, 12:17 AM
mrubyjean: your cards are way beyond fabulous--they took my breath away. beautiful.

sogrady: i felt at a disadvantage,too,but everyone has been so kind and encouraging,
I love your cards. How did you get the white lines? are they removed wax, or some kind of pen on top? they have a very graphic, clean feel

sogrady
05-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Big toe your cards are wonderful..love the feel to them. I was working on photo paper and then used a toothpick to make the lines....works best before it hardens too much as then it starts to chip away. I love your flowers.....thinking about investing in some encaustic tools...

lacemuse
05-11-2011, 08:45 AM
I experimented with the photo paper this week-end. It took only 1 try for me to not like it.
1. As soon as the iron hit the paper, I got a huge whiff of chemicals - probably not good to breathe those.
2. The wax didn't slide across the card, it just kept sticking.

So, I'll be using the tried & true glossy card stock from the suppliers of the encaustic wax I use.

sogrady
05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I am not using an encaustic iron when working on the photo paper. I am using an old pancake griddle to melt the wax, then using a brush to paint it onto the photo paper. Then I use the toothpick to etch the wax. I put the photo paper onto the griddle once and the fumes were truly awful.

3katz
05-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Two lots received today from:
louisezee
mrubyjean

Stunning work :)

big toe studio
05-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Boy, that wire brush sure is fun for trees and bushes

big toe studio
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
forest stream was upside down

3katz
05-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Lovely work big toe studio, forest stream is stunning!

big toe studio
05-15-2011, 11:57 AM
thank you! I really like working on the black. I also have dark green and dk. blue to try

I am using glossy card stock, and it seems a little flimsy--do they need to be mounted on something sturdier?

mrubyjean
05-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Beautiful cards, big toe studio!

lacemuse
05-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Beautiful big toe studio!

3katz
05-18-2011, 05:03 PM
big toe studio, I use the paper meant for encaustic and I dont mount mine on anything so they should be ok. :)

3katz
05-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Another one received today from:

sogrady - really lovely work

3katz
05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Just popped on to see if there where any questions and to let you know that nothing has arrived today. Nearly time everyone :)

3katz
05-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Bigtoestudio - your gorgeous atc's arrived today

3katz
05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
ooooh not long now folks :)

3katz
05-23-2011, 04:11 PM
For anyone who has subscribed to this swap, we are on the move to the active folder.

All atc's are in and everyone has been so good at getting them here we are actually finished early.

Now I usually only get time at the weekends to sort out the returns, hence the close by date. However, if I do get the time and can get them out sooner I will let you know.

I would like to feature your lovely atc's on my blog if thats ok with everyone, perhaps one from each participant. I know its not everyones cup of tea (so to speak) so I will send you all a message asking your permission first. They all look absolutley wonderful so just thought I would show them off.

3katz
05-29-2011, 04:30 PM
A very big thank you to everyone who gave permission for me to show their work on my blog. The finished article is now up so if you would like to see it click on the link in my signature.

We have a Bank Holiday in England this Monday and our Post Offices are closed but all returns will be in the post on Tuesday.

When you receive your returns please do not forget to leave You Rock's for your fellow artists.

You are all more than welcome to join in my next swap (when I can think of an idea!).

:wubclub:

lacemuse
05-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh my gosh! I went to your blog, 3katz, to see which cards you posted from us. So many amazingly fabulous cards. I can't wait to see which cards I get - I know I'm going to really enjoy them all!!!

mrubyjean
05-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Such a nice blog display...I'm honored to be part of it!

3katz
05-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Thank you to both of you, glad you liked them. Most of the ones I chose have gone out to in the swap but I did get to keep a couple of them. I am so very grateful for the extra atc's for hosting.

I am currently putting together atc's I have received over the years in 1:1 trades and framing them in large picture frames. Just finished a 'landscape' theme and will be working on an animal one next. Will post them to the blog as well.

scwk0511
06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
got my returns today. It is fun to be in the first group to get them instead of the last! I got gorgeous cards from KittyNL, louisezee, lacemuse and 3katz. It has been a rough weekend and I ended up withdrawing from all the swaps that I was involved in, so it was a real pleasure to get a little envie full of arty goodness this morning!

Hope

3katz
06-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Well that was quick, only came on to post that all returns had been posted out yesterday morning.

Sorry to hear about your weekend scwk - hope things get better soon x

3katz
06-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I must have got the touch louisezee ;)

lacemuse
06-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee! My cards arrived! Thanks so much 3katz for hosting & for the extra card!

Thanks to:
Hope Griffin for the pretty landscape - lovely colors & birds!
Sherrie for Magenta Blooms - very pretty flowers!
and Martha Cohen for the landscape - love the sun & the bit of gold wax!

Off to leave YouRock!'s & ITrader.

big toe studio
06-05-2011, 04:48 PM
thank you, what a great swap.
all my returns were more than fabulous
thank you,too for the extra card. a gorgeous sunset
I need so much practice. I dont know how you and mrubyjean get so much detail in such a small space
thank you, thank you, thank you

3katz
06-06-2011, 03:41 PM
your welcome, so glad you liked them

mrubyjean
06-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Lovely returns from lacemuse, sogrady and big toe studio!
Wonderful swap, 3katz ~ thanks!

3katz
06-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Your welcome and thank you :D

sogrady
06-09-2011, 10:54 AM
received my cards today and they are great...thanks to 3katz for hosting and for the
extra card.....inspires me to purchase an iron! and thanks to the wonderful artists that
made my delightful cards.......mrubyjean, elma,and louisezee.

sogrady
06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
received a wonderful card from Elma Van Lichen and I can not find her in the thread to give rep points as I do not know her ATC name.......can anyone help? thanks!

3katz
06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
sogrady - if no one answers I will have a look at all the participants at the weekend and try and find out for you

sogrady
06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
thanks! always like to pass out the love for receiving fun cards.....come out come out wherever you are Elma!!

3katz
06-10-2011, 05:21 PM
sogrady - Elma is Busybear :D

sogrady
06-10-2011, 10:45 PM
thanks for finding Busybear for me....always the perfect hostess!

jo.on.the.go
06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Beautiful cards received from Wil Opio Oguta, scw0511 and gunnmarit. Your art is all so wonderful. This was such a challenge for me and you are inspiring.
Thanks for hosting as well, 3katz.

3katz
06-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Your welcome sogrady and thank you :wubclub:

Glad that they arrived ok jo.on.the.go