PDA

View Full Version : Postage Stamp a-thon May 13-15

Pages : 1 2 [3]

katrinabean86
05-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't know if $1 is the national shipping, but it is for us in California. I always order online. It only takes a few days to get them and there's much more variety. It's worth the shipping price. And also, they ship them with stiff boards behind them to protect the stamps, and they are great for using as backings for cards.

KESagers
05-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Thank you both for the information! I think if it's just a dollar for shipping I'll go ahead and order online next time I need stamps. There was so much variety online and my local PO is so small they don't get much to choose from. I did manage to score some cats and dogs for this marathon but boy they have been hard to find.

Mouseit
05-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Thank you both for the information! I think if it's just a dollar for shipping I'll go ahead and order online next time I need stamps. There was so much variety online and my local PO is so small they don't get much to choose from. I did manage to score some cats and dogs for this marathon but boy they have been hard to find.

Kessie...repeat after me... There will be another postage-stamp-a-thon... I will order my stamps now... heehee

Suze
05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Got my envies addressed, working on backs of cards (next time I'm gonna have backs already done!) choosing goodies, then with hopeful heart will mail tomorrow.
Wish I had alot of stamps to share, but I didn't know how fun "Postage Stamp" a thons were gonna be and I haven't collected many.
I"ll be ready next time!(thanks to all who shared info on getting stamps)

jaw
05-19-2011, 10:38 AM
I've been saving stamps from my atc trading for the past 2 1/2 years ... they pile up. I always put cool ones on my envies for swaps ~ so I'll get them back. Ask your friends and family to watch for stamps ... you'll have an abundance soon! :O)

CynthiaSillitoe
05-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Am I the only one who's found USPS.com to be glitchy? Some days it just won't work... won't recognize my log in and password, and other days it's fine. I do buy stamps there-- my local branch doesn't carry anything spectacular--but I have to be kind of zen about it: "I may or may not be buying stamps today..."

Mine are mailed out, though I'm still open to trades. :) Between now and the next a-thon, I need to catch up on swaps!

minnkel
05-19-2011, 01:05 PM
The last of my trades went into the mail yesterday! Thanks so much to everyone who traded with me!! Hope all cards arrive safe and sound.

minnkel
05-19-2011, 01:08 PM
What? There is life outside a marathon??????:wideeyed:

UMmmmm I'm wondering the same thing! I'm still finding way cool things to do with the few stamps I had left. Setting them aside for the next postage stamp marathon!!! Which can't come TOO soon for my liking....hint hint!!!

HHC
05-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Okay, so you all know there is a Found Poetry a-thon coming up May 27-30, and an All Types of Art a-thon coming up June 1 - 5?

And you do know postage stamps can be incorporated into ALL TYPES of art, don't you?

hahahahahahahaha! :mask:

sniisk
05-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Okay, so you all know there is a Found Poetry a-thon coming up May 27-30, and an All Types of Art a-thon coming up June 1 - 5?

Helen, really? I have free days on June 2-6! WOOOOOOOT!

Just Ducky
05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I got the last of mine mailed this morning... and like JAW, I have saved every envelope I have gotten in the last 3 years... so gonna do a search of the garage for a big box... I know it's out there somewhere ??? I like the international stamps, and them I can't buy, so garage search is on...

trini70
05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
I've also saved all of my stamps from trading here at AfA. Awhile back I dug out all of my old pen pal letters from jr high & high school (80's) and decided it was time to clean out. I reread them and cut the stamps off the envelopes and threw them out. I couldn't bring myself to part w/ the letters from Japan though. We corresponded for a long time and I'm not ready to cut off those stamps and toss the rest. The Polska stamp I used was from one of those old letters.

Mouseit
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Ppfftthhh I was cleaning up (Yeah I do that occassionally) and came across all the lovely STAMPED envelopes from my last swap.. and wouldn't you know it, it even had a stamp I had been searching for....
Anyway I will start soaking as I rather like that effect better than the cut around ones.. I dunno its a personal choice thingy.....

So Anything-a-thon in on on June 1-5? whooohooo I am on break from school from the 3rd so I can DO THAT!!! YEEEAAHHHHHH!!! I shall look forward to it!

Blanche
05-19-2011, 07:48 PM
I had a great time Katrina & Cynthia - thnak you for hosting this A-Thon! I am addicted to postage stamp ATCs now!

From time to time I have had the dubious pleasure of having to open the mail in various jobs, so I have an assortment of stamps, mostly the ones with US flags on them. I came across an old bag of pretty stamps today - hehe!

Here's my newbie question - do we leave itrader points or rep points for the people we have traded with? I received 2 cards in the mail today - Yippee! :)

CynthiaSillitoe
05-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Itrader points. :)

miloccpep
05-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I am not one to collect postage stamps UNTIL I started trading at AFA. Envies came fast and furious and I was kept busy creating cards so they accumulated. On hindsight, of course I am glad as otherwise, I would not have have enough postage stamps to use for the athon. The beautiful stamps from Japan were from a friend. What I really would love is LESS of the 98 cents postage from USA! LOL! I don't know what to do with them YET!
I am learning new mediums since joining AFA and always get my inspirations from viewing the cards from the gallery. I am giving myself a pat on the shoulder for learning!

Mouseit
05-20-2011, 04:45 AM
HI All,
I had a look on ebay last night and they have punches of 200 Australian stamps for about $9 -free postage....NOW I have ordered a few so are up to stamp trades (shortly) if anyone wants to trade me some, I am up for it. Thing is, I need two of any stamp as I always make dupicate cards, one for the trader and one for my collection....so please keep that in mind if you want to trade some.. OR better yet I will trade stamps for mouse cards! LOL

citykitten
05-20-2011, 05:26 AM
I have way too many stamps. My mother collected stamps when she was younger from all around the world and has also kept every single stamp from every letter she has ever recieved so we are talking thousands of stamps!

Mouseit
05-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Ohhh Citykitten, I shall look forward to see what you do with those thousands of stamps...LOL

Suze
05-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Mailed all today , cept' for one, waiting for addy ......I feel so silly, after reading the posts I remembered that for the first six months here on AFA I saved the envies. aaaarrrgggghhhh.
dug them out and theres some fab stamps. Not that many, but I sure could of used them.
Yoo hoo, Citykitten, did I ever tell you that you just get prettier every day?(I'm not above KA for stamps now)
:)

KESagers
05-20-2011, 01:40 PM
About those 98 cent stamps - I realized that now that we are all collecting stamps for art sending the same stamp over and over again to my international friends was going to get pretty boring. 2 first class stamps and one 10 cent stamp covers the postage perfectly so in the future I am going to try to mix it up and send different first class stamps to those that I know are collecting.

BTW - anyone wants to trade me some of those 98 cent stamps I can send you something different in return since I don't have any of them for art.

I got my Hobby Lobby order yesterday. It looks like most all of the US stamps are sticker stamps and I have zero luck getting them to release to I'm planning on cutting those. A lot of the foreign stamps look like they might be gum backed so I may try soaking them.

sniisk
05-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Kristin, thank you :). You said what I didn't want to say here but I sure wanted to ask you to use something else than that stamp. To be honest, I receive once in a while something else but mostly on that stamp...

And I sure can send 50 of them to you when we trade next time :).

KESagers
05-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Yes - I'm afraid I had some to use up this time around but I won't buy any more. LOL- I bet you do have about 50 to trade. ;) Like I said I just got my Hobby Lobby order so I have a bunch of stamps to trade now - love to do that when we mail our ATART trades. :)

mrubyjean
05-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Kristin, thank you :). You said what I didn't want to say here but I sure wanted to ask you to use something else than that stamp. To be honest, I receive once in a while something else but mostly on that stamp...

And I sure can send 50 of them to you when we trade next time :).

Oh, I'm so sorry! I just bought a bunch of .98 stamps...but after I use them up i'll try to be more creative about my international mail!

KESagers
05-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I've been digging through my USA hobby lobby bag and thought I would mention there seems to be a lot of liberty bell and flag stamps. Finding a few cool older ones but so far it's a lot of bells and flags.

CynthiaSillitoe
05-20-2011, 06:31 PM
See, I'm never organized enough to get the official overseas ones.... :)

That's a drag about the Hobby Lobby stamps.

KESagers
05-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm taking it as a personal challenge to figure out a way to use them. I think I'm going to collage them in layers - a big bell collage background and I can do the same with the flags.

So . . . I know package rates went up in the US in January - I had no idea that Canada stamps did also.:mad: I mean why were they singled out? Think I have some mail about to be returned to me.:mad::mad:

miloccpep
05-20-2011, 07:07 PM
LOL! Kristin, Sanna beat me to it about sending the 98cents postage! I am going to upload 3 series of stamps for you to have a look-see. Was at the PO yesterday for the Hawker series and managed to get only 3 varieties instead of 4. Personally I love the Pond series and looking forward to next month for the 'endangered' series.

I used the Pond series this month to mail for this athon. I am not so keen on the Hawker series, so may use them soon!

Mouseit
05-20-2011, 07:16 PM
OHHH Miloccpep I like the buildings in the middle..... AND just don't show Ducky those pond buddies or she will want them...LOL

KES: America to us Australians is always about the flags and bells...LOL good idea to college them, you could put heaps of stuff on them.. heehee

Can't wait to see what is in my bags of stampies...LOL

Mouseit
05-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Off shopping today and I might just have a little look in kmart for packets of stamps I know they are there!

mrubyjean
05-20-2011, 08:19 PM
miloccpep ~ all those stamps are beautiful!

katrinabean86
05-20-2011, 09:13 PM
All my cards are out :) Thanks for an awesome time!

sniisk
05-21-2011, 03:02 AM
Oh people, don't worry about those 0.98 stamps :). They are great too! My point was that about 19/20 of my trades are coming from the US and that's the reason I don't get almost any other stamps than those 0.98 stamps.

Vicky M
05-21-2011, 08:31 AM
what do the .98 cent stamps look like?

trini70
05-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Not until this swap did it occur to me that I should be using different stamps for you overseasers. I always just go in and ask for x# of international stamps and x# of Canadian stamps and then check out the variety of regular stamps to see which I want. Now I'll start asking for 10 centers instead. I knew about the Canadian postage. I had one stamp left and hurried and sent a round robin w/ it. I'm always asking when's what going up next. The extra ounce went up too, was 17 now it's 20 cents.

Vicky, the 98 cent stamp has a mountain range on it. It seems like the international stamps always have a national park on them.

jaw
05-21-2011, 11:17 AM
How much is it from the US to Canada? I just always use the "international" 0.98 stamp ...

jaw
05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
I felt bad about using the .17 ram stamp for too long... when it had gone up to .20 and I didn't know ... thanks for telling me Mr. Postman ... especially when I asked for the "extra ounce stamp"!!!

CynthiaSillitoe
05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I think we need a postal dispensation. If we write "This is AFA art" on it, maybe we could use whatever stamp we had on hand, or suited the mood, or the other person needed. :) I mean, as long as it's a stamp, right? :) Hmm....maybe we could even use cancelled stamps (if they were most excellent) and then I'd never need to buy new postage stamps again.

KESagers
05-21-2011, 03:20 PM
I mean are you kidding me?!!!!! How did I miss the change in the extra ounce?:mad: This is what I heard on the news: No increase except for packages. Like a Dodo I believed them. How about the surcharge on thick or lumpy envelopes - is that still 20 cents? I need to go into the USPS site and see if I can get a page that lists all of this. I haven't gotten anything back yet but honestly I'm expecting to. I'll let my trades know when it happens.

Update
Sure enough I just found the page:
Letters
Weight Not Over Price
1 ounce $0.44
2 ounces $0.64
3 ounces $0.84
3.5 ounces $1.04

The surcharge is the same - 20 cents:

Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics below are subject to the $0.20 nonmachinable surcharge. For items over 3.5 ounces, see Large Envelope or Package.

It is a square letter (the minimum size for a square envelope is 5 x 5 inches.)
It is too rigid - does not bend easily
It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices
It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter
It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven
The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5

So now I've got all these crazy denominations from all the different changes in the past years - I'll have to load up on penny stamps so I can use everything up.

KESagers
05-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Miloccpep - honestly I like them all - you get really great stamps there! Got some more trades in the mail today and I spied some great stamps on the envies. :) :) :)

I just got my Amazon stamp order - more expensive than Hobby Lobby but the stamps are pretty cool and they are all pre-soaked! Yippee!

KESagers
05-21-2011, 03:33 PM
How much is it from the US to Canada? I just always use the "international" 0.98 stamp ...

I believe that to Canada and Mexico it is now 80 cents for one ounce.

All foreign is 98 cents for one ounce but the second + ounces differ by country.

CynthiaSillitoe
05-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I mean are you kidding me?!!!!! How did I miss the change in the extra ounce?:mad: This is what I heard on the news: No increase except for packages. Like a Dodo I believed them. How about the surcharge on thick or lumpy envelopes - is that still 20 cents? I need to go into the USPS site and see if I can get a page that lists all of this. I haven't gotten anything back yet but honestly I'm expecting to. I'll let my trades know when it happens.

Update
Sure enough I just found the page:
Letters
Weight Not Over Price
1 ounce $0.44
2 ounces $0.64
3 ounces $0.84
3.5 ounces $1.04

The surcharge is the same - 20 cents:

Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics below are subject to the $0.20 nonmachinable surcharge. For items over 3.5 ounces, see Large Envelope or Package.

It is a square letter (the minimum size for a square envelope is 5 x 5 inches.)
It is too rigid - does not bend easily
It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices
It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter
It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven
The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5

So now I've got all these crazy denominations from all the different changes in the past years - I'll have to load up on penny stamps so I can use everything up.

Ok, from now on, I'm just going to get the postage the way I think it should be.... and then I'm going to add another stamp. :wacko: AND I'm going to get some 6x9 envelopes without clasps. I didn't even think about that.

Apologies if anyone's gotten anything postage due from me...

Vicky M
05-21-2011, 09:50 PM
thanks , I looked it up. I use two 2-.44 and a .10 cent so people get fun stamps..I hate when I get them at the grocery store , they usually just have the bell
Vicky, the 98 cent stamp has a mountain range on it. It seems like the international stamps always have a national park on them.[/QUOTE]

Vicky M
05-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Not until this swap did it occur to me that I should be using different stamps for you overseasers. I always just go in and ask for x# of international stamps and x# of Canadian stamps and then check out the variety of regular stamps to see which I want. Now I'll start asking for 10 centers instead. I knew about the Canadian postage. I had one stamp left and hurried and sent a round robin w/ it. I'm always asking when's what going up next. The extra ounce went up too, was 17 now it's 20 cents.

Vicky, the 98 cent stamp has a mountain range on it. It seems like the international stamps always have a national park on them.
Thanks Trini
I wrote another post but have no idea where it went ...I looked online and saw the stamp

Just Ducky
05-22-2011, 01:51 AM
ya know I think AFA members should beable to get a GROUP discount from the Post Office people... after all, they are always complaining about how people don't MAIL as much now days... so I think WE are keeping the USPS afloat...
I wonder how MUCH money is spent on STAMPs from all the members here each month ???
bet it would amaze us all.... :wideeyed:

and YES, I will also be using the 44 + 44 + 10 cent stamps from now on for my international mailing from now on...

Mouseit
05-22-2011, 03:38 AM
(whispers) we don't support UPS at all..LOL We go Australia Post!

And yep looking for those special stamps to send out when I have to in future after I get rid of these envelopes that are printed, which won't take long!

sniisk
05-22-2011, 03:50 AM
Mouseit, I think I have gotten mostly different kind of stamps from Australia :). I don't know if I have received more than two same kind of stamps ever...

Suze
05-22-2011, 10:52 AM
I haven't seen the .98 cent stamps, I can only get the 1$ stamps that have an image called, "Wisdom", Rockafeller Center, New York" on it. The little post office I use is in Fortson, Georgia, and they get "different" stamps cause their in the boonies and we get all the rejects from the Big Boys at the Big P.O.
The stamps that say "Forever" any place on them are good for postage even if it goes up, I think thats what that means. (?):unsure::v_spin:
well, no matter what I am officially postagestampafied.

KESagers
05-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Just soaked a whole bunch of international postage - most all international seems to be gummed back or if it is adhesive it seems to soak and release. I've given up on US adhesive - I just trim them anymore.

dsign49
05-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I got all my cards ready and will put them in the mail today. So if anyone was worried they will be on the way and in there new homes soon.

Just been so busy this last week... is there a ATART this week end or just an a-thon.....

CynthiaSillitoe
05-23-2011, 11:39 AM
This weekend is the found poetry a-thon and then the ATART is from June 1 to June 5.

cairnlae
05-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I got a stack of envelopes today..havent opened yet. I am sad to say all my cards are still on my art table waiting for me to finish the backs and send them out. I anticipated doing it earlier last week but fell ill. by the time i felt better, I had to work a dance recital over the weekend. I was going to get everything done yesterday but woke up to barely being able to walk. apparently, going up and down two flights of stairs for 7 hours straight, doesnt fare well on ones calves. woke up the same today. i guess now would be a good time to start exercising again while im on a roll and my muscles are obviously confused.ill definitely get the cards out by wednesday or you can all put me into the prugatorial artists dungeon.

mrubyjean
05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Ouch, Karen!
Good luck finishing up!

Mouseit
05-24-2011, 04:53 AM
I had my first pack of Stamps that I brought on ebay come in today..Most expensive stamps ever, I thought it said 500.....it said 50.....Ah well live and learn.....the next lot I have ordered worked out to be 1.5 c a stamp.....Much better cost...LOL

OOHHHH and I got my first card today!

Donnacr
05-24-2011, 06:37 AM
I got my first 3 cards today from: lkastello, sallyannart and diome - great swaps! can't wait for more :D

cairnlae
05-24-2011, 08:00 PM
finishing envelopes tonight. ready to mail out first thing 2 morrow! Only waiting on one address comfirmation-Tinka's. I have an address, but its a couple yrs old. Just want to make sure its same before mailing.

Mouseit
05-26-2011, 09:19 AM
I have received another two cards today! whoohoo Thanks Minksie and Wil!

KESagers
05-26-2011, 08:48 PM
I ordered my stamps online and they just arrived today. Seemed to be a smooth process and I got ones I never would have gotten locally. I'm all set to mail my trades for the ATART. :) :) Now we just have to have the ATART.

Blanche
05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
This was so much fun, I can't wait til the next PSAT!

I have received all of the cards I traded for and left iTrader points. Only 2 are still out there I sent that I haven't received iTrader for so I hope they made it!

My hoarding has paid off - I keep finding envelopes stuffed with stamps :) Next time when I send my cards, I will share the stamp LOVE.

Great A-Thon!!!

Mouseit
05-30-2011, 07:47 AM
whooohoooo I received another three cards in the PSAT....
Thanks Minkie, Wil, and Blanche they are gorgeous girls!!

Donnacr
05-30-2011, 09:27 AM
just waiting for 7 of my cards to reach their destinations and for 5 more cards to reach me - this was SO much fun! I loved the different ways that everyone used their stamps - even when they were the same stamps it was a TOTALLY different card.
Aren't we all so clever?!?!

Thanks to everyone who traded with me - I look forward to seeing you at the next a-thon.