PDA

View Full Version : Michigan / Metro Detroit - Papermaking - JUNE 4TH!

adriayna
05-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone,

I promised to host a papermaking gathering at my home in Clarkston, MI this summer. Clarkston is on Exit 93 on I-75 between Detroit and Flint.

Papermaking is quite easy--we will be using old blenders, recycled fibers and found stuff, and will make lovely piles of wonderful paper. Even those who aren't very artistically inclined can do well at this. The handmade paper is great for chunky books, atcs, scrapbooking, card-making, and more. You can bring friends as well! I have lots of space. The only issue we might have is the number of blenders--if you have an extra one, you could bring it to help out. I only have one for papermaking and if we have more than 5 people, it could slow us down.

Anyways, I wanted to discuss some possible dates. I've put the dates I'm available to do it and we can vote on them. We want a pretty warm day with lots of sun, so we'll schedule a "rain date" if it isn't going to work.

Thanks!
Dana

Art By Camilla
05-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Dana, at this point the dates are all good for me.

Sounds like fun!

Camilla

ScrapPea
05-10-2011, 10:52 PM
The first two dates in June work best for me. However, I am having...car issues...and would REALLY love (need) a ride to attend. Happy to pay for gas. Well, okay, paying for gas these days does not make me happy, but you get my point.

Pennyquilter
05-11-2011, 08:36 AM
I pm'd you Dana that I voted for a date I couldn't come. June 4 is looking good to me and I have a blender I can bring.

Art By Camilla
05-11-2011, 08:54 AM
No blenders at Salvation Army yesterday; I will keep checking. They had lots of coffeemakers, though!

Hazartist1
05-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry I can't make the trip up from Ohio this time. Can you post some instructions/photos on your process? I have been saving paper scraps and dried flowers just for paper making.

Pennyquilter made some beautiful paper and shared with us when we had the Michigan get together.

Thanks!!!

Art By Camilla
05-12-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm sorry I can't make the trip up from Ohio this time. Can you post some instructions/photos on your process? I have been saving paper scraps and dried flowers just for paper making.

Pennyquilter made some beautiful paper and shared with us when we had the Michigan get together.

Thanks!!!

Hazartist1, sorry you can't join us this time, but it is quite a drive for you! I love those little handmade paper pads from Pennyquilter -- I can't decide what I want to do with it! Maybe write some quotes I like in it. That would be kind of neat. I have it out displayed with my art journals, so that would be appropriate :)

I'll try to take good notes for you of the papermaking process, and some photos too, if I remember my camera!

Camilla

Hazartist1
05-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Camilla! You're the best! I have been collecting flower petals (dried) and white paper scraps for my paper making adventure.

I love the paper that Pennyquilter shared with us. I may give mine to one of my Raggety Ann dolls to hold. The paper is too pretty to use!!!

Pennyquilter
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
thanks for your comments everyone. That was the first paper I have ever made. I want to put dried flowers in another batch.

Art By Camilla
05-13-2011, 09:13 AM
My flower press is 400 miles away at the cabin of a friend -- I'll have to find another way to dry some flowers. Put them between book pages, or something. I should go buy some pansies - they make lovely dried flowers!

Pennyquilter
05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Camilla, put your flowers inside a heavy book. I got a large book at a garage sale in the U.P. one day for 50cents so I could dry flowers up there. My flower press is here at home.

Pennyquilter
05-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I wonder if Dana has decided on a date yet?

Art By Camilla
05-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Dana, what kinds of scraps should we be saving for the papermaking? Big, little, colored, text, etc. Junk mail? Dried flowers? How much stuff should we bring?

I'm new to this, so I can't envision what kind of finished result I will get from various materials.

Do we have a date selected yet?

Camilla (who is getting excited and thinks this sounds very cool!)

Art By Camilla
05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Camilla, put your flowers inside a heavy book. I got a large book at a garage sale in the U.P. one day for 50cents so I could dry flowers up there. My flower press is here at home.

I've got two heavy books that I got at a Friends of the Library sale that I use to flatten cards, etc. Should be perfect for flowers, too!

Thanks for the tip :)

Look forward to seeing you soon :)

Camilla

adriayna
05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
June 4th seems to be the best for everyone, then? 4 can make it? :)

Art By Camilla
05-19-2011, 06:26 PM
June 4th works for me. What time? I'm pretty much open all day, at this point.

Camilla

Hazartist1
05-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm so jealous!!!! :mad: You guys will have to send me a piece of paper....I'll be there in spirit.:cute:

Art By Camilla
05-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey Michiganders, if you are interested in altered tins/tin tray people, I found some great tins at Dollar Tree. I can pick some up and bring them, if anyone wants one. I posted about it here (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=996123#post996123) with a link to photos on my Flickr as well.

Camilla

Pennyquilter
05-20-2011, 08:03 PM
June 4 sounds good to me. I found another blender at a garage sale today for only one buck! I can bring two. Lini is up north, but I'm sure she can co-pilot for me that day.

ScrapPea
05-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Is June 4th official? I need time to arrange a ride to attend...unless someone in the Scrapbook Zone area-ish will be available to swing by my place.

BTW, with SZ closing, there is a 15% sale currently. If anyone is looking for something particular, let me know!

Art By Camilla
05-22-2011, 11:16 AM
ScrapPea, sorry I don't still live in Dearborn, it would have been no problem to come and get you. But I'm NORTH of Clarkston now, so you'd be a bit out of the way for me. Andy other metro-Detroiters coming that can give ScapPea a ride?

Hope you can work something out - would love to see you again!

Camilla

adriayna
05-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Scrappea--we will see if we can find someone to pick you up. Hmm...I'm also up north.

Ok, let's go for the 4th of June! Rain date, TBD!

Art By Camilla
05-24-2011, 02:47 PM
June 4th sounds great - what time?

Camilla

adriayna
05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
In the morning, actually. The earlier we start, the longer the paper has to dry. So we'll probably start at 9:30 or 10am and wrap up around 1pm. If people want to stay over here the night before, that's fine too :).

Pennyquilter
05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I like early but have to plan 1 1/2 hours to get there, so will come as soon as possible. I am bringing two blenders. See you soon. Have a safe and fun Memorial Day Week-end.

Art By Camilla
05-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I just bought a blender for paper-making on eBay, and they are shipping tomorrow, so I should have it for June 4th to bring.

Getting excited - I've always wanted to learn how to make paper!

Camilla

ScrapPea
05-28-2011, 12:10 AM
My adorable, wonderful, loving husband is planning to drive me if no one else in my area is available. (I could meet with someone in the Livonia/Brighton area if that helps.) Clarkston appears to be about an hour from me. I'd come up 23 rather than 75, so any help with directions is appreciated.

Two additional questions:
1--How long do you anticipate the event to last?
2--Is there any place nearby where he could hang out until it ends? Preferences include Starbucks (#1), a used CD store, shopping area (like a mall or Best Buy), and restaurants.

Art By Camilla
05-31-2011, 04:23 AM
I think Dana said the event is 9:30am - 1 pm. You get to her house from M-15 (exit 91 off I-75), not sure how to get there from US 23, but take a look at a map and it should help.

There is not a lot right in the area to do - it's kind of rural - but if he doesn't mind driving about 20-30 minutes ( I think that's right - Dana jump in if I'm wrong), he can go M15 south to 75 south to exit 84 - Great Lakes Crossing outlet mall is there. FUN place to kill time.

Camilla

ScrapPea
05-31-2011, 08:28 PM
I have no blender, but planning to attend. My husband doesn't mind a short drive; thanks, Camilla. Do we need to bring any papers with us--colored/newsprint/copy...etc.?

lini
05-31-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm not going to make it this Saturday. Pennyquilter knows, but I don't know if she has made up her mind about coming or not. I'll miss seeing you all. Thanks for the invite Dana.

Pennyquilter
06-01-2011, 08:26 AM
I don't care to drive there alone. I asked another friend but she is having a garage sale this week-end. If I can't find a driving co-pilot it will mean I have to attend youngest grandchilds scoccer game. I had years of being a "bleacher-mom" and really don't care about going to sports events anymore.
For the moment - don't plan on me. Sorry Dana and all. Have a great day making paper.

Art By Camilla
06-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I'll be there - and I've got my blender from eBay (it arrived yesterday), so that will help with having enough blenders.

Looking forward to this!

Sorry Lini and Pennyquilter can't make it :(

adriayna
06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Gals,

Ok, here are the details on our papermaking extravaganza!

1) We are tentatively going to shoot for this Saturday. Rain date will be next Saturday. I'll make the call on Friday for sure--right now it looks like a low chance of thunderstorms, which will be fine if they are later in the day. We also can't have too much wind--a day like today would not work very well for us, lol!

2) Start time will be 10am. We'll probably need a few hours from start to finish, so plan accordingly. I expect we'll be done by 1-2pm.

3) In there, we'll have some lunch while the paper is drying! If you can, bring a covered dish to share. I will have available as well--a vegetarian pasta salad, cheese platter, and dips with bread bowl (or something similar).

4) PM me if you need my address. As Camilla has said, I'm off of I-75 on Exit 91 (Clarkston/Davison). You head towards Davidson, and I'm about 3 miles up from there (Allen road, off of Ratalee Lake Road). Once you get to my house, I have a circular driveway, so please pull in and around to make room for others (I think we'll have probably 4-6 people here not counting me).

5) Papermaking Supplies. For supplies, if you have a spare blender, please, please, please bring it! If you have any cotton cloth (in any color) that would be helpful too. I should have enough (we use this for couching sheets), but depending on how many of you show up, possibly not. If you have any large plastic bins (not too large, but large enough to fit a 12" x 9" mould and deckle) that would be great--I think I have 4 or 5, but I'd like everyone to have one if possible.

You should also bring anything you'd like to make into paper. Anything that you have that is soft will do--dried flowers/leaves, tea, coffee grounds, pencil shavings, glitter, confetti, lovely tissue paper (I really, really like tissue-paper paper!), napkins (these make LOVELY paper!), dried grass, fibers, the list goes on and on.

We make our paper out of recycled office paper--so if you have any to contribute to the stack, bring it. You can also make it out of paper bags (which, unsurprisingly, gives you a bag-looking paper), old books (this makes really neat paper), even dryer lint. So bring anything papery as well!

What does not work for paper is things that are too hard--pinecones, hard potpurri, seed pods that are hard, etc. You can try soaking them for at least 24 hours, which may or may not work.

And that's it! Can't wait!

adriayna
06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't care to drive there alone. I asked another friend but she is having a garage sale this week-end. If I can't find a driving co-pilot it will mean I have to attend youngest grandchilds scoccer game. I had years of being a "bleacher-mom" and really don't care about going to sports events anymore.
For the moment - don't plan on me. Sorry Dana and all. Have a great day making paper.

Boohoo! But maybe next time. We'll do this again!

adriayna
06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
My adorable, wonderful, loving husband is planning to drive me if no one else in my area is available. (I could meet with someone in the Livonia/Brighton area if that helps.) Clarkston appears to be about an hour from me. I'd come up 23 rather than 75, so any help with directions is appreciated.

Two additional questions:
1--How long do you anticipate the event to last?
2--Is there any place nearby where he could hang out until it ends? Preferences include Starbucks (#1), a used CD store, shopping area (like a mall or Best Buy), and restaurants.

If you are coming up 23, there are two ways you can go. For that time of day, coming up via I-59 East is probably the easiest (although you can also go the whole way up to Fenton and cut across on Grange Hall Road). So I suggest you take I-23 North to I-59 (its about 10 miles north of Brighton). Take I-59 to Taggerdine, then Taggerdine to White lake road (which will put you out on Dixie Highway). If you PM me, I can give you exact directions from Google Maps :)

Dana

Art By Camilla
06-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Dana,

I emptied out my paper shredder into a bag to bring, and shredded some other papers as well. Will that work ok?

I am definitely bringing a blender. I'll check my basement; I think I have a bunch of large storage totes that can hold that size. If anything, they will be too large!

Camilla

Art By Camilla
06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I've got at least five 66 qt Sterlite storage totes - bottom measures about 13"x19" - I'll toss those in the trunk in case we need them. And I've got a blender. No cotton cloth though - do you mean things like old sheets? Does it have to be 100% cotton?

Camilla

ScrapPea
06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the list, Dana. I had no idea to include glitter or fiber. ooooh, now I get to raid my stash some more!

We still have 3 bags of to-be-recycled paper, everything from glossy mags to newspapers to...well, stuff. (Includes old copy paper, too.) I'll bring those. We have an extra recycling bin I'll measure because I think it'll be the correct size.

Pennyquilter
06-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Since I am not coming this Saturday, I decided to make paper today. The weather was perfect (not too windy). I made three batches - green - blue - dark pink. Next time I will try white or never thought about paper sacks. That would be fun! Each one of my batches made five sheets of approx. 6 1/2 by 8 inches

I would like to see how you guys make your paper. Someone take pictures please.
Have a delightful day Saturday!
Mary Jean

Hazartist1
06-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Pennyquilter, You make beautiful paper! The pieces you gave me are an oatmeal color. I'd love to know how you acheived that. I'm still pressing flower petals and little flowers in a book for my papermaking venture. Happy paper making!

Art By Camilla
06-02-2011, 07:12 PM

I would like to see how you guys make your paper. Someone take pictures please.
Have a delightful day Saturday!
Mary Jean

I will try to remember to bring my camera and take some good photos and notes!

Camilla

adriayna
06-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Ok gals, we have to re-evaluate Saturday based on the Weather. It looks now like we'll be getting storms in the morning, have a cloudy day, and then storms again in the afternoon. This is NOT good papermaking weather (we will be outside, and we need the sun to dry our paper for us).

I originally said that June 11th (next Saturday) would be our rain date, but they are calling for storms all day that day too.

Is this Sunday afternoon, June 5th, a reasonable time for those who were planning on coming? Sunday looks like it will be a beautiful day instead. We can start at noon on Sunday to avoid any church plans. Please let me know your thoughts, as we need to make a decision about this soon.

Sorry about this, but that's how papermaking is, lol!

adriayna
06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
PS: My friend who is not on the site has said she is available to do papermaking on Sunday. I hope that Scrappea and Camilla are too! :)

Art By Camilla
06-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Ok gals, we have to re-evaluate Saturday based on the Weather. It looks now like we'll be getting storms in the morning, have a cloudy day, and then storms again in the afternoon. This is NOT good papermaking weather (we will be outside, and we need the sun to dry our paper for us).

I originally said that June 11th (next Saturday) would be our rain date, but they are calling for storms all day that day too.

Is this Sunday afternoon, June 5th, a reasonable time for those who were planning on coming? Sunday looks like it will be a beautiful day instead. We can start at noon on Sunday to avoid any church plans. Please let me know your thoughts, as we need to make a decision about this soon.

Sorry about this, but that's how papermaking is, lol!

June 5th is clear for me at this point! Hope we can work it out!

Camilla

adriayna
06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Ok, great! We are just waiting to hear on Scrap Pea then :). Sorry about the shifting around, but the weather is really important and I don't want our paper ruined due to storms!

Art By Camilla
06-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Another reason to switch it from Saturday; the M-15 Heritage Road Rally is taking place all along M-15 from Clarkston all the way to Vassar on Saturday, 10am-5pm. Traffic will be awful; I take M-15 from Davison right to your house in Clarkston. I'd be right in the midst of it :(

Camilla

ScrapPea
06-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi. I can do sunday. Is it possible to push the time back to 12:30 (or 1pm)? Our mass is later, and I need to get something to bring for lunch.

adriayna
06-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Just for the record, I think we were had by the weatherman. This was a beautiful day for making paper! But apparently we'll also have nice weather tomorrow :).

The "morning" thunderstorm never materialized, but they are claiming there is one coming by 3pm. We'll see, lol.

Art By Camilla
06-04-2011, 11:27 AM
It is now 11:25am here in Davison, and the skies ARE clouding up. We had a lovely clear morning , but I think it is about to end soon.

What time on Sunday are we meeting? I know some people have church and wanted to meet a little later.

Pennyquilter
06-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Sorry the weather man messed you guys up for paper making. I thought about you while I was at the scoccer game and burning up. It is way hot outside today! The paper would have dried quickly. Have fun tomorrow. I have a birthday dinner and grad party to attend.

ScrapPea
06-04-2011, 10:14 PM
What a mess. Today would have been so perfect (at least the weather was good here, not sure about up there). Something has come up for my husband tomorrow afternoon, so unless the papermaking is at the same 9:30am time OR if someone can give me a ride, I will not attend. I am PM'ing everyone my phone number. If I don't hear from someone by midnight, well, I'll have to see you next time.

adriayna
06-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Scrappea, I think Camilla, Tracy and Rebecca (not on this site) are coming at noon, but if you need to start a little earlier, we can. I just got in though, and I don't think I'll be ready to start as early as 9:30am.

ScrapPea
06-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Propose a time?

adriayna
06-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I can be ready by 11am, but no sooner, lol. It takes about 2 hours to setup, and this is the first time I'm doing papermaking here at my new house.

Art By Camilla
06-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm still getting stuff together (perennial last minute packer!), but I will shoot to be there sometime after 11 am - I'll probably leave my house at 11, and be to you around 11:30 if that's ok.

ScrapPea, does that work for you?

Camilla

Art By Camilla
06-05-2011, 04:46 PM
We had a GREAT time! I'll have photos to upload after I get them resized. Or I may just upload to Flickr and link to that. Lots of fun, lots of yummy food, and lots of BEAUTIFUL paper made. Who knew you could make attractive paper from DRYER LINT, of all things?

Thanks to adriayna for hosting! The weather cooperated beautifully, and we had perfect conditions for working out doors.

Pennyquilter
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
So glad it went off well today! Anxious to see pictures or hear instructions. Do you use something else along with the dry lint? What size sheets did you make?

Art By Camilla
06-05-2011, 07:06 PM
The sheets came out roughly 9"x12". Thickness varied depending on how much "slop" we used. We used office paper, book pages, cattail fibers (those are the lovely brown sheets you will see in the pictures), tissue paper, glitter, etc. Rebecca used lots of glitter, and I really like the way they turned out. I'm definitely using glitter the next time I make paper!

Here is the like to my photos on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/artbycamilla/sets/72157626893875434/detail/). There are two pages, so be sure to advance to the second page!

Hazartist1
06-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Great photos, Camilla!! I love the bright green paper and the brown paper! You need to post a tutorial!

BRAVO!

Pennyquilter
06-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks Camilla for the photos. Looks like you had fun and great looking paper! I never soaked my paper first - guess I need to do that next time. I'm glad you had pictures of the boxes.....that is what I was interested in. Glad you gals got to finally get together!