PDA

View Full Version : Lets Get Ready for a Memorial Day Weekend Found Poetry A Thon

RobbyGirl
05-17-2011, 01:29 AM
A Memorial Weekend Found Poetry-a-thon (FPAT) is Scheduled May 27th-May 30th, Hosted by RobbyGirl, Minnkel and EvaLila.

A marathon weekend to “get together” virtually and create Found Poetry. Everyone will participate over the same days and times in each time zone . . . kind of like we were all together for the weekend to play with our art supplies!

Start time (in your time zone) 12:00am on Friday May 27th (That’s Midnight on Thrursday) 2011.
End time (in your time zone) 11:59 pm Monday, May 30st, 2011

What Is Found Poetry? To create a “Found” poem, begin with a page of text. This can be a page in a book, an advertisement, brochure, flyer, or anything that’s written text. For this “a-thon” we are working from one page for each poem.

Read through the page you will be working from (must be something you are willing to cut up) and choose words to create your poem or offbeat verse. If you’ve ever played with a magnetic poetry set then you get the concept!
After you’ve chosen your words, cut them out and with your best attempt at keeping them grammatically correct (you can steal letters from other words if you need to add endings such as “s”, “es” or “ing.”)

After you’ve assembled your poem you will collage it to the ATC card you are creating. The card can be collaged, hand drawn, painted, digital or Mixed Media just so long as your found poem is collaged onto the art. Some people like to create their art first then find the words and some prefer to “write” the poem then create the art to accompany it.

Another fun form of Found Poetry is Blackout Poetry. Choose a paragraph to work from that will fit your ATC then black out (paint over) the words you won’t be using to create your poem. Below are some examples of both types of found poetry.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions in the thread we will do our best to answer them. Have fun, this is low pressure; we aren’t looking for Robert Frost here!

If you need book pages before the A Thon PM me and I'll mail you some!

I'll open the official thread with more A Thon Details when we get a bit closer! :wubclub:

Here are links to the last two FPATs if you'd like to peruse cards.

FPAT Memorial DayWeekend 2010 (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15453)
FPAT Labor Day Weekend 2010
(http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16600)

citykitten
05-17-2011, 01:42 AM
I can't wait for this! I've not done found poetry before so I'm excited about the challenge

RobbyGirl
05-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm so glad you both are joining in! If you'd like to see some of the art from the FPAT last year here's a link to the 2010 A Thon Thread. (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15453)

lkastello
05-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I am really looking forward to the FPAT!!!

Wil Opio Oguta
05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
I'll be playing as well. Have not had much luck with found poetry till now, but at least I have access to many English texts here :-)

Suze
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Oh, another a thon. (this one worries me a bit, cause;
I cannot Rhyme
I don't have Time
Its ATC's??!!
AA-Choo, I sneezed
God Bless Me.
Well, inspite of my obvious handicap, I will a thon to the best of my ability.
:):):)

CynthiaSillitoe
05-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I'll be here!

HHC
05-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Oh fun! I'll be able to play, Robin!

Gina-B
05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Weird... I was just thinking last night that I was in the mood for some more FP!! I am soo going to try to take part!!

KESagers
05-17-2011, 02:58 PM
My plan is to be extra organized for this - if only I can just stick to my plan. :wideeyed:

HHC
05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
haha, KESagers! I know just what you mean!

I have a plan to cut out words ahead of time and keep each page of words in a separate tiny baggie. I have some that are 3x3 I think, that will work perfectly. Of course, whether I get it done is another thing. LOL!

RobbyGirl
05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
haha, KESagers! I know just what you mean!

I have a plan to cut out words ahead of time and keep each page of words in a separate tiny baggie. I have some that are 3x3 I think, that will work perfectly. Of course, whether I get it done is another thing. LOL!

I put them in ATC sleeves, one for each of my little poems.

Mouseit
05-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Will be watching and lurking for this one...LOL

jensaz
05-17-2011, 06:02 PM
I just unpacked my favorite crafting supplies (lots more to unpack ;o) I hope I can play too.

Fantasia
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
oooooh, man....this sounds like so much fun, since I've recently discovered my addiction/affliction for found poetry. Lots on my schedule for that weekend, but maybe I can sneak in a few hours of creating. Especially if we can cut out words ahead and save them....just maybe I can work something out here...........

RobbyGirl
05-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I think cutting out words early is definitely a good idea, many people get lost in the pages they are looking through, heck I've started re-reading books by accident. My best suggestion to everyone is tear out pages and use one page to work from for each poem. It's a bit more challenging but when you start searching through many pages for just the right word it's hard to get anything completed!

RobbyGirl
05-18-2011, 12:28 PM
If anyone needs book pages before the a thon, let me know and I'll mail you some :) Sometimes ripping up that first book is hard! Once you start though...no book is safe...LOL

lkastello
05-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I would be happy to send out pages to anyone who wants them as well, Robby!

Suze
05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
ooohhhh, good ideas , Robin, about taking one page and just using that one.
I have a very old (published 1928) thick poetry book, and I've just been wanting to use the wonderfully aged pages................but can't decide if I should rip it up or not. :nah::err::huh:

lkastello
05-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I get all of my used books for 25 to 50 cents at-

Salvation Army
Goodwill
and second hand stores.

Fantasia
05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I have waaaaay too many wonderful used books that I cut into and play with. My latest favorite is a 2-volume text for a world history class....great fun and lots of good pictures for other swaps too. I also find sometimes magazines pages with a good story or article work great for found poetry!

RedHeartStudio
05-18-2011, 03:49 PM
oh I love this and I soooo what to play.....I am going to try my hardest! I have to work that weekend (and it's memorial weekend....busy time for the Jail)!!!!!

lkastello
05-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Oh Beth!!!!!!!!! Please sneak a few into the weekend!!! PPPPPPPPPPUUULEAAAAAASE!!!

Fantasia
05-18-2011, 05:09 PM
yes Beth.....plllleeeeeeeeeease!! I'm gonna try and if you're here too, that will give me more incentive!

RobbyGirl
05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
ooohhhh, good ideas , Robin, about taking one page and just using that one.
I have a very old (published 1928) thick poetry book, and I've just been wanting to use the wonderfully aged pages................but can't decide if I should rip it up or not. :nah::err::huh:

Well what I usually do when I find a delicious old book is to check online to make sure that it isn't rare and worth something. I once found an early copy of Moby Dick at a garage sale for .25 that ended up being too valuable to tear up but I had another book from that same sale from the early 1920's that wasn't valuable but just has delicious language and I tear pages from it regularly to make found poetry.

If you do decided to tear into it let me know I'll trade you some vintage pages for vintage pages :wubclub:

RobbyGirl
05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Beth it just wouldn't be the same without your deliciously dark found poetry, I'll make you a nice dark and freaky card to tempt you! You could cut out words while watching those jail house movies....:policeman:

theweavershand
05-18-2011, 07:57 PM
woohoo! thanks for the heads up, Robin! cant wait!

beth...put me down for something or several somethings. so hoping you can play!

Rogue Gal
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Well if everyone's getting in line for one of Beth's cards...I want one too! Come play, Beth!

Oh, and I plan on playing too!

calluna
05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I just spent the past hour or so cutting out words and phrases from a variety of book pages, and I'm keeping the text I didn't cut out as well so I can join words and phrases together as needed. (: As long as your pages aren't extremely old/thin/brittle, you can put your poetry together for future use with rubber cement on a sheet of cardstock. Then you just peel it off and transfer it over to the ATC when you know where you want to put it!
I definitely don't need more text, but I'd be happy to send a freebie envelope of words/phrases to someone...I have more little segments of potential FP than I could ever actually use....

RedHeartStudio
05-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Wow....thanks for all the encouragement ladies!!! I feel so wanted and loved!! :wub:

I will get stuff ready to put together that weekend while I am at work!!! :)

theweavershand
05-19-2011, 02:29 AM
woohoo! everythings better when Bethie is in the house!!

lkastello
05-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow....thanks for all the encouragement ladies!!! I feel so wanted and loved!! :wub:

I will get stuff ready to put together that weekend while I am at work!!! :)

GO BETH! GO BETH!

CynthiaSillitoe
05-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Beth, I think you should get everyone at the jail involved. :)

I actually prefer cutting out the words at the time I'm making the cards, but I'm definitely getting pages stacked up....and thinking I need to stop by the thrift store for some different typefaces.

Theresagram
05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Woohoo! I'm off work that weekend! Hopefully I can get a few done!

Theresagram
05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I also have some extra book pages if anyone needs any. :D

RobbyGirl
05-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Speaking of which, Rogue Gal I mailed you a bunch of pages today so you should have them in plenty of time :)

andyaly
05-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I'll try to play at least a little bit....I really enjoyed doing the ones I did for the last FPAT. Now to find some more book pages.....

RedHeartStudio
05-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Beth, I think you should get everyone at the jail involved. :)

I actually prefer cutting out the words at the time I'm making the cards, but I'm definitely getting pages stacked up....and thinking I need to stop by the thrift store for some different typefaces.

hahahaha.....man I could get a lot of cards done if I got all 300 inmates and 5 officers involved!!!! hmmmmmmm!!! lol :)

RobbyGirl
05-19-2011, 09:55 PM
hahahaha.....man I could get a lot of cards done if I got all 300 inmates and 5 officers involved!!!! hmmmmmmm!!! lol :)

and probably some really interesting poetry to boot!

Rogue Gal
05-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Speaking of which, Rogue Gal I mailed you a bunch of pages today so you should have them in plenty of time :)

Woot! Thanks hun! :notworthy:

CynthiaSillitoe
05-19-2011, 10:33 PM

I guess some of the inmates you might not want to give scissors to, but they could rip their words...

Theresagram
05-19-2011, 11:43 PM
And I've got new rubbah in da house!!!!! Woohoo!!!

lkastello
05-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Rogue Gal-
The ATC and book pages took flight today...hopefully in plenty of time for the a-thon!
;) lkastello

sniisk
05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I hope to play a bit but I'm working most of that time :(.

RobbyGirl
05-20-2011, 06:57 PM
We'd love to see you Sanna even if it's for a short while :)

Rogue Gal
05-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Rogue Gal-
The ATC and book pages took flight today...hopefully in plenty of time for the a-thon!
;) lkastello

Yay - thanks Lisa!!

Robin, the pages from you arrived today - that's fast!

sniisk
05-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I really hope to play. I've made a huge pile of backgrounds today :).

Mouseit
05-23-2011, 03:40 AM
OkOk As you folks are really enthusiastic I wanna see some of these cards...

Does anyone have some that are old (You know make a while ago) so I can see what you are all talking about as I have not seen this before....come one you know you want to show me! LOL

Evalila
05-23-2011, 04:15 AM
Mouseit, when you do a gallery search for "FPAT" it shows several pages of cards :)

RobbyGirl
05-23-2011, 11:11 AM
OkOk As you folks are really enthusiastic I wanna see some of these cards...

Does anyone have some that are old (You know make a while ago) so I can see what you are all talking about as I have not seen this before....come one you know you want to show me! LOL

Mouse here are links to the last two FPAT A Thons so you can peruse to your hearts content :wubclub:

FPAT Memorial DayWeekend 2010 (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15453)
FPAT Labor Day Weekend 2010
(http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16600)

CynthiaSillitoe
05-23-2011, 11:45 AM
My desk is covered in words and I still hope to pick up a couple more books. (I want a variety of fonts.) I have a quote a day calendar that I'm ransacking. It's super cool because it has words on different colored backgrounds. Also, I found an old word search puzzle book that had pages I hadn't done, so word lists. They're all in caps, but I thought they might be interesting. Anyway, I'm excited. :)

Mouseit
05-24-2011, 03:53 AM
Mouseit, when you do a gallery search for "FPAT" it shows several pages of cards :)

Thanks for that Evalila but I am here LMAO....because I just thought they were ATC's with words..and I have even done some..*laughs and Laughs*

citykitten
05-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks for that Evalila but I am here LMAO....because I just thought they were ATC's with words..and I have even done some..*laughs and Laughs*

I was like that too until I read the start of this thread LOL

Mouseit
05-24-2011, 04:58 AM
LOL Guess there is more than one in this crowd then....LOL

lkastello
05-24-2011, 08:38 AM
READYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

Mouseit
05-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Guess your ready Ikastello....LOL

RobbyGirl
05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
I can't wait till Friday Yay!

Fantasia
05-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm just hoping to make it til Friday....:wacko:...trying to get work done so I can go on vacation, and all my family's crazy schedules.....Friday at 5:00 won't come soon enough!!

dsign49
05-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I hope I get time to participate part of the time.

AmyMax
05-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Hmmmm....Let's see how much time I have to create this weekend...what with cook outs and such...

RobbyGirl
05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm just hoping to make it til Friday....:wacko:...trying to get work done so I can go on vacation, and all my family's crazy schedules.....Friday at 5:00 won't come soon enough!!

You don't have to wait till Friday at 5pm cause we are starting Thursday Midnight/which is actually 12am Friday. So it's sooner than you think!!! YAYA!

Gina-B
05-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Thursday Midnight/which is actually 12am Friday
oh good. I'm not much in the mood to work this week anyway...

Fantasia
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
You don't have to wait till Friday at 5pm cause we are starting Thursday Midnight/which is actually 12am Friday. So it's sooner than you think!!! YAYA!

Yeah, but I have to work until 5:00 on Friday! Then I'm free from work until June 6th!! But still have family stuff to get to. Maybe I'll get up early Friday and start......hehehe!

jensaz
05-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Going to cut out words, hope I get time to use them....

Evalila
05-25-2011, 02:06 AM
CanŽt wait to play!

I have already cut out lots of words from the english book pages some of you folks were kind enough to send me.:wubclub::notworthy::cute:
WeŽll have to see what I can come up with. LOL ItŽs not that easy to do found poetry in a foreign language, so my stuff might be a little weird:twitcy:
But hey, I think that suits me :goofy:

Rogue Gal
05-25-2011, 02:35 AM
I would love to see some found poetry cards in German and Finnish, especially if Evelyn and Sanna provide translations (maybe on the backs of the cards and here in the thread?)

theweavershand
05-25-2011, 02:47 AM
weird is so much more fun! cant wait to see what you come up with!

theweavershand
05-25-2011, 02:48 AM
that would be good too! my daughter takes German and loves to see anything in German and Finnish is fascinating with all those long words.

Evalila
05-25-2011, 03:15 AM
Yep, I think IŽll make cards in German, too:D - with translations, of course!

Gina-B
05-25-2011, 04:11 AM
I agree, it will be very interesting to see them in other languages!

citykitten
05-25-2011, 05:27 AM
I think it will be cool to see other languages. I have got all my backgrounds ready to go and started cutting up text.

RobbyGirl
05-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I adore collecting poetry in other languages too! I'm going to start the official thread today. I'll post a link here soon.

CynthiaSillitoe
05-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm going book shopping today. I have lots of pages already and random words, but I want different fonts. Also, I don't have any that will work for getting the poem all from one page. Plus, I just love an excuse to acquire more stuff. :)

sniisk
05-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I'll do it mostly in Finnish and Swedish because it's easier to use native language(s) :spinny:. I could try also some poems in Latvian :).

RobbyGirl
05-25-2011, 02:31 PM
OFFICIAL THREAD FOR FPAT MEMORIAL WEEKEND (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=999666#post999666)

Theresagram
05-25-2011, 07:21 PM
CanŽt wait to play!

I have already cut out lots of words from the english book pages some of you folks were kind enough to send me.:wubclub::notworthy::cute:
WeŽll have to see what I can come up with. LOL ItŽs not that easy to do found poetry in a foreign language, so my stuff might be a little weird:twitcy:
But hey, I think that suits me :goofy:

I have a book in German and I was thinking about using it to make a few cards. But I don't know what any of it means, so I don't know if it would be 'poetry' or not. LOL

calluna
05-25-2011, 11:50 PM
I have a book in German and I was thinking about using it to make a few cards. But I don't know what any of it means, so I don't know if it would be 'poetry' or not. LOL

It might be interesting to cut out whole sentences (short ones, so they fit on the card), from random sources of the same language, and then put them together and have someone translate what they mean, altogether. It might be utter nonsense, as well, but interesting nonetheless! :)

andyaly
05-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Haha...you should do it; they would probably end up being quite humorous!

Evalila
05-26-2011, 01:23 AM

Guess that would be a fun experiment!!! Make some cards using German words and IŽll translate them into English. :biglaugh:

lkastello
05-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Guess that would be a fun experiment!!! Make some cards using German words and IŽll translate them into English. :biglaugh:

That sounds like fun! ;)

Theresagram
05-26-2011, 04:01 PM

I might just do it! ;)

Theresagram
05-26-2011, 04:03 PM
It might be interesting to cut out whole sentences (short ones, so they fit on the card), from random sources of the same language, and then put them together and have someone translate what they mean, altogether. It might be utter nonsense, as well, but interesting nonetheless! :)

Haha...you should do it; they would probably end up being quite humorous!

I think I'll have to try at least one card with the German! :jiggy: