PDA

View Full Version : **LEARN-A-THON **July 11-13, 2011**

Linda4atc
07-10-2011, 01:03 AM
This is our Almost Impromptu July Learn-a-thon
It will start as the Inchie-a-thon ends and will go till the Sticker-a-thon begins.

Three Whole Days!!! Monday July 11 through Wednesday July 13
We are all in different time zones so the times are very flexible.

A LAT (Learn-a-thon) is for anything you need to learn or practice, some suggestions are a new technique for backgrounds, a sketch or painting book, pergamano, beading and charm making that you haven;t done before,

The goal here is not trading but learning, so feel free to work with whatever size you want. I usually work in a sketchbook that I keep. This said if you do wish to trade with someone that is totally up to the two of you..

General goals

1) To use those How to Draw books most of us have sitting around collecting dust.
2) To do the lessons and to get lots of practice.
3) To practice, practice, have fun and practice.
How about a challenge to Learn New Backgrounds and Techniques that could be used with Stickers for the Sticker-a-thon.

Rules

1) Have Fun and Learn
2) Use lessons from any book or even an online site to study from, we have tutorials here at AFA.
3) Optional … Share what you are working on
4) We can all encourage each other not to give up. To have fun and to try to stretch our abilities….

This will be the OFFICIAL LAT thread, I'm not going to start a new one. :D
Any Questions just ask!

Linda4atc
07-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Don't forget our AFA forum has lots of tutorial type info...

Articles and How-To Guides (http://atcsforall.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
:idea::idea::idea:

RoOskie
07-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Sounds fun!

Linda4atc
07-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I usually practice drawing at these but I have the Tim Holtz book A Compendium of Curiosities. I am going to try some of the techniques in it. I have many of the products but I will also try using substitutions like instead of the cool crackle paint he has, I will have to layer paint and that clear crackle stuff I have two unused bottles of. LOL

Suze
07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Yay! I made it.....the only way I could get in here was to go to "Forums" and find the thread. If I clicked on your signature it takes me to this weird place where I have to sign in etc.
But I found it!
I think tomorrow I'm gonna have to get my mailings ready to post and maybe vacumm or something......theres little bitty pieces of paper everywhere and making inches was really fun, but hard for me..............so I'd make some inches, then lay down ...make some inches, the...........you get the idea:yes: LOL.
But I'll be here, maybe in the evening, I've got a couple things I want to try;)

KESagers
07-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Yippee! There are some background techniques I want to try.

Linda - I just got that Tim Holtz book also and I was wondering if you have used his paint daubers on metal as it's suggested in the book - I mean does it really stick or does it have to be sealed?

egod
07-10-2011, 11:32 PM
I've a book called Exhibition 36 that has mixed media challenges in it that I think I will try if I find the time. Having a group to work with seems like a good idea.

Just Ducky
07-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I am SOOOOoooo ready to teach this old DUCK some new tricks... him and I are both stuck in the same ol' same ol, thing... ain't got no book to learn from so am hoping for some old fashion show and tell....

jonquil
07-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Ducky check this out - heaps of techniques to try

http://gingersnapcreations.blogspot.com/p/project-and-tutorial-guide.html

Freedom119
07-11-2011, 06:53 AM
This is just the kick in the "paints" I need to do the ALL OVER THE WEB drawing tutorials I have bookmarked and said' "One day...." Now. Today. It is that day. Thanks!

Linda4atc
07-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Welcome everybody!! The school doors are open and the bell is ringing!:jiggy:

Yay! I made it.....the only way I could get in here was to go to "Forums" and find the thread. If I clicked on your signature it takes me to this weird place where I have to sign in etc.
But I found it!
That is soo weird is my signature link working for the rest of you?

I think tomorrow I'm gonna have to get my mailings ready to post and maybe vacumm or something......theres little bitty pieces of paper everywhere and making inches was really fun, but hard for me..............so I'd make some inches, then lay down ...make some inches, the...........you get the idea:yes: LOL.
But I'll be here, maybe in the evening, I've got a couple things I want to try;)

This is just the kick in the "paints" I need to do the ALL OVER THE WEB drawing tutorials I have bookmarked and said' "One day...." Now. Today. It is that day. Thanks!
LOL I am sitting in a coffee shop with my "Hermans Friends" swap cards and envelopes that should have been mailed last week. And if I have a good enough signal (was 4 bars when I checked it here llast week but right now just 2 bars:skeptical:) I was thinking I could try to look at some tutorials today too. I can not watch any vids at home.

Unfortunately my husband has not been home in almost two weeks And he will be home tonight just for the time of this a-thon! Then gone for another week and half, :eek: It will make it hard to spend the time I wanted here. He is just too good to be neglected.:rolleyes:

Oh! A lovely excuse to use my new book! Drawing with imagination! Though I am pretty sure If I do that I would not want to trade, Thinking about trading drawing can be very inhibiting! And I think I will look for something on how to get the prismacolors smoother and such! Oh this should be . . . interesting!

In the Learn-a-thon there is actually very little trading done. If someone wants to trade stuff they can but mostly it is time to just learn and practice. I am pretty sure there is a really good tutoral in AFA link above for colorpencils

Yippee! There are some background techniques I want to try.
Linda - I just got that Tim Holtz book also and I was wondering if you have used his paint daubers on metal as it's suggested in the book - I mean does it really stick or does it have to be sealed?
No I but I do havea couple of the daubers and can try it! I am preety sure that alcohol inks color the metal embelishments nicely. I also heard that you could hold a brad with pliers (so it doesn't burn you), then dip it on a embossing ink and embossing powder then heat.

I've a book called Exhibition 36 that has mixed media challenges in it that I think I will try if I find the time. Having a group to work with seems like a good idea.
Sounds Perfect!

I am SOOOOoooo ready to teach this old DUCK some new tricks... him and I are both stuck in the same ol' same ol, thing... ain't got no book to learn from so am hoping for some old fashion show and tell....
Hiya Ducky, I am repeating myself, but there are lots of tutorials right here on AFA to look into too...

http://gingersnapcreations.blogspot.com/p/project-and-tutorial-guide.html I'm going there now... :D

Suze
07-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi all! I'm looking forward to this a thon. Learning some new techniques. I want to work on a (sort of) "Junque Journal".....except I'm altering it to fit what I already have.
hopefully will be able to clear off art table, vacumm up bits and pieces etc. and get something done for show and tell and advice.
Is there such a thing as an "Inchie Hangover"? I made 42 inchies and at my age with my vision I didn't realize I was pushing myself too much.
woke up feeling like a Mac truck ran over me.:swoon:
anyone else relate to this?
anyway heres to Learning and Sharing!!!!!:idea:

KESagers
07-11-2011, 02:13 PM
woke up feeling like a Mac truck ran over me . . .

LOL - story of my life. :twitcy: Hang in there Paintmanycolors!

I need to do a little work around the house and then I want to try a background.

Linda4atc
07-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Here is some directions I typed up from a technique I have done a couple of times. It is cloth paper

The instructions came from a the Cloth Paper scissors magazine. They made Fruit and vegetable shaped pillows out of it. I used a nuetral color they used red, green etc.

IDilute white glue or a gel medium, it will look like milk. Use a paint brush (1") to paint the glue on a piece of fabric maybe what they call a "quilters fat quarter" which is a 1/4-yard of fabric but they cut a 1/2 yard accross the bolt (36") then cut that half yard in half at the fold in the fabric so it ends up being approx 18"x22".

You brush the glue on with the paint brush and layer all kinds of strips of tissue paper, text book pages, atlas pages, fancy napkin papers etc. brushing with the diluted glue as needed

It is a good idea to tear a bunch of paper strips ahead of time but if you are like me you will find yourself tearing more for just the right piece. Remember even though you are working with a large piece of fabric you will be cutting it into small pieces. so take that into mind when doing your layers.

I slid a large piece of cardboard (a flattened out box) inside a plastic trashbag to work on, and it was easy to move somewhere else to let it dry. You can paint the last layer with a diluted accrylic paint or do as I did ant just add a bit of paint to the leftover glue for the last layer.

You could probably do this on a piece of paper of some kind too. I also did it on a thin piece of interacing pellon stuff both worked well.
Have fun good luck.

Linda4atc
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
And here is the citra solve technique used on National Geographic pages. It was shared to me by Jean.

http://www.robertburridge.com/newsletter/artsyfartsy_mar07/index.html

And Ducky the weather is soo nice I may get around to trying that really pretty paint pail technique you did before.

Hazartist1
07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Linda, Do you have to use a National Geographics? or can you use other magazines?

Linda4atc
07-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I have wondered that too. One reason National Geographic is used is because it is packed with large colorful photos, but I do not I know if other magazines will work. This is a good time to try. I heard that some national geographics work better than others because they changed the inkls they used. But I do not remember if it's the newer or the older ones that are better, LOL.

I also heard from some one that either used a spray bottle or a sponge to control the amount of citra solve on each page. When I did it I poured it on and had a plastic box full of ugly gray liquid when I was done.

Linda4atc
07-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I am watching Tish Moore vids right now. I need to learn to have a freer and more random expression with some my art.

KittyNL
07-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I bought a small bottle of Perfect Resist at the local shop where I normally buy my rubber stamps. They have a pdf explaining how it works (in Dutch). You have to use a rubber stamp, put the Perfect Resist on the stamp and stamp it on a glossy card. They leave to dry, use ink (like Distress) to color the card, leave to dry for a bit and rub off the ink from the Perfect Resist. You should get a white print of the stamp. And then repeat for several layers.

Well... I tried this. The first ATC does not show any resist at all... and I whiped off all the ink :swoon:. But the second one does show some white swirls in the background. I finished the ATC with a double stamped bird (in 2 colors) and more ink. I have attached the second attempt. I need to practise more..

egod
07-11-2011, 04:51 PM
The citrasolve will work on some other magazines, but works best with National Geographic. I spray it on. I am working on a collage with a Citrasolve background now. I'll post it if I can scan it to any advantage.

egod
07-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I seem to have lost a message while trying to edit it. I'm posting a collage on canvas that I am working on. The background, left-hand side is all citrasolve except for the moth. It gives the effect of depth. Some texture is real, some not. Down the right hand side of the citrasolve page, you can still see the lower legs of some men which were not disolved. The pink down the edge is the result of the page above this one sticking to it. I sprayed citrasolve on several pages and obviously left some together longer than I should have, but I like the effect. The far right is drybrushed embossed paper which just happened to be on the table. I'm still working on this, but I like the swampy background effect.

KESagers
07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Linda, Do you have to use a National Geographics? or can you use other magazines?

I read somewhere that NatGeos are the only ones that work - something to do with the ink and quality of paper but I am interested to know what other magazine have worked for people.

KESagers
07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Kitty - your bird card is beautiful.

Egod - I really like how your colors blended - next time I'm going to try the spray bottle.

Here is the Tim Holtz Wrinkle Free Distress technique. (Pg 33 in his book) These were even more fun than I expected. For the first set I used a variety of reds. One card has a combination of red and brown and the other set is all browns.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Wrinkle-Free-Distress-Red.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Wrinkle-Free-Distress-Brown.jpg

egod
07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
How did you do that?

KESagers
07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Here you go Egod - it's the second technique - called Wrinkle Free. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV-8nWHplaY

I forgot to mention that I used a manilla folder and used Tim's die cutter to cut it down to an ATC but I think you could experiment with other types of cardstock.

bluelotusflower
07-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Great experiments so far. Came late to this thread so I have nothing to show for the day except grocery shopping and errands done. Thank you, KESagers for sending me the link.

About National Geographics and Citrosolv. I was told it works best on issues printed in the last 10 years. In older issues the ink is faded. I'm anxious to see your results.

Does anyone know how mixed media artist Lynne Perrella does her illustrations? (See the attachment below)

Suze
07-11-2011, 08:16 PM
ooooooh, beautiful show and tell stuff. Love that pink bird card and the citra solve stuff looks dreamy.
Tim Holtz>>wrinkle free? thats what I need for my homemade journal. watched some tutorials and read a little about journaling and some of it said "just use an old book " , well, I tried. HA! talk about wrinkled papers....and I've got a heavy duty brayer, glued two pages together, buckling and wrinkling.
so gonna have to find plan b.
mumbling to myself...>>>"just use an old book, yeah right)
I thought I could always glue a sheet of watercolor paper onto the page.
I'm trying to use this wonderful book about Tiffany Lamps and vases and art that I got for one dollar.
anybody here done junque journals???

KESagers
07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I read the article with Lynne's work in it but I don't recall instructions - it really is amazing though!

Here is the Junque journal thread:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16524

I have a composition book sitting on my craft table but haven't done anything with it yet. I could be working on that for the LAT.

Suze
07-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Kristin...thanks for giving us the link to Tim Holtz wrinkle free! I love it.....and I just happened to have two stamp pads from him....tea color , and a blue. so I went over the page and this is what it looks like now. I used another kind of black ink pad to do the edges. I really loved what was happening on the page.kind of reminded me of an old door....first I glued two pages together, then painted thickly with white paint, then used Tim H.stamp pads, then spritzed it with water.
Now , after it dries, I'm going to glue on a piece of watercolor paper directly in center......then.....?(first I'm going to put matte medium on it so its sealed.).............
(I think);) I write a book every post:chatterbox:

Suze
07-11-2011, 09:08 PM
darn. it looks ugly in picture. should of looked first ...hahaha

Just Ducky
07-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I am here looking and now gonna go back on chick on some links you all shared...
I tried that N.G. and citra stuff... now this stuff does smell.. and it is a mess to work with...
BUT... does make some really cool papers... I have a few pages left from a year ago and kinda tight with them... they so cool, I hate to use them...:twitcy:

bluelotusflower
07-11-2011, 09:43 PM
paintmanycolors, that page looks great! So that wrinkle free really works...even after the pages are wrinkled???

KESagers
07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I get the idea Paintmanycolors - I think I might have those colors even. Really cool to see how it changes as it dries isnt' it?

Ducky - I scanned the best of my citrasolv papers and so I can print them over and over again.

Bluelotus - this technique is flat - no wrinkles (just looks distressed) - but hey I might have to try it with wrinkles next time.

Fantasia
07-11-2011, 09:58 PM

http://gingersnapcreations.blogspot.com/p/project-and-tutorial-guide.html

Well, I just spent a couple hours looking at some fun-looking techniques. (thanks jonquil!) I'm off work tomorrow and my DD is at a friend's house, so hopefully I'll get to try some of them out. Will post if anything turns out.

Just Ducky
07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
wow.. Jonquil great link you shared with us... gonna take time to soak in some of the ideas they are showing...

KESagers... really loved the wrinkle free link... gonna try it later tonight I hope...

Linda4atc
07-11-2011, 10:25 PM
paintmany You just keep on "writing a book every post" and we will enjoy every word. :)

bluelotus those are really cool, but I have never herd of her before.

Kristin a junque journal is a perfect place to try out new ideas and then keep a record of what you did for future reference. And your backgrounds are lovely.

egod that is awsome, I love the way you explained it in detail insted of just showing it and saying collage on citra solve background.

Kittynl that is soo pretty.

Linda4atc
07-11-2011, 10:47 PM
ROFL I started my last post and the timer on dinner went off, I stopped leaving the forum open to where I was typing, ate dinner cleaned up and completed my post. Then I just noticed all the comments made while I was eating. Hiya Ducky, Fantasia and Dilys!

Hey I am not sure what is going on, Both Ducky and paintmanycolors got klicked out of the forum when clicking the link I had for this thread. I changed it, is it working now? The other one worked perfectly when I clicked it. I don't know why or even how this could happen. :unsure:

Just Ducky
07-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Linda... your link didn't work for me... and I just tried it again... got locked out again..
but I know where you live... and I know where this thread is ... so I don't need your ol link.. so there...:P:jiggy:
now I gotta go play with stuff.... see ya... have fun with hubby...;)

KESagers
07-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Linda - your link worked for me but signed me out of the site so I came in as a guest - but that happens a lot when I click on an embedded link.

Time for me to hit the sack. I'm realizing that I need to get more of Tim's products but I can try a few more of his techniques with what I have.

Have a good night everyone!

Fantasia
07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I have had a great deal of trouble lately when clicking a link in a message, not just in this thread. Getting kicked out of the site, and often can't sign back in. I think its a glitch with the site.

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Ok for over three hours now (since before dinner) I have been trying to tell you all about my day. Typed stuff up twice and not again. Will just post the book I made. Even though I bought my bind-it-all some time ago it was the first time I used it.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/small/1_006.JPG
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/small/1_009.JPG
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/small/1_010.JPG
My first project for the Learn-a-thon was to use my bind-it-all machine I bought some time back. I saw a book made something like this online when researching Bind-it-all tutorials.

I took two cardboard tissue rolls, cut one shorter than the other to layer them.
Cover them with pretty papers.
Cut a few pages from cardstock, and decorate if desired.
Bind them into a book with the Zutter Bind-it-all machine.
Cut two tags, decorate with yarns, insert into the tissue roll pockets.

Fantasia
07-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Linda, that is wonderful. I would not have guessed the pockets were tissue rolls at all...way cool!!!!

Donnacr
07-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Can anyone help me? I really enjoy doing packing tape transfers but if I want to make a transfer ATC size I have to join my tape - the largest tape that I can find is only 2" wide.

My problem is that the join is really visible no matter how I try to do it:
1) I have VERY carefully put the 2 pieces of tape next to each other - there always seems to be a slight gap which then doesn't stay together.
2) I have overlapped the 2 pieces and it seems to leave a clear line in the transfer image

Any suggestions?

jonquil
07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
i use the cold laminating sheets - marbig I think - from office works

Fantasia
07-12-2011, 09:39 AM
clear contact paper works too for larger images. I haven't found a way that the seam doesn't show using the packing tape....sorry!

Donnacr
07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
thanks for those suggestions - jonquil and fantasia.
I have lots of clear contact left over from when I used to cover my kids' school books - I'll have to give that a go.
jonquil - where do you get those laminating sheets?

Suze
07-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi all! when I use the packing tape transfer method (which I LOVE), I've started trimming the image to incorporate it into my atc or whatever, just so theres not that line from the tape. Contact paper and I do not get along. It hates me.
I love all the links and learning here......this is fun time, no stress.
found out that I don';t want to make junque journal, I wanna make art/junk journal....trying really hard to use what I have and not but anything, but I might cave in and buy a journal that has pages that will hold up...................
gotta be sneaky though, if I walk anywhere near the Tim Holtz stamps they will jump in my cart, I have no control over those stamps.......and I have to tip toe through sticker isle, same thing happens.............get up to the register and sales lady says, "that'll be 56. dollars", I give her that blank , deer caught in the headlights , look. And meekly sort through and put stuff back. sigh.

Fantasia
07-12-2011, 12:03 PM
PMC...sounds like me when I hit the craft/hobby stores. If I need something, I've started sending my daughter into the store with instructions as to what I want. That way nothing "extra" sneaks into my wagon!! LOL :idea:

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
ROFL I know what you guys mean. My husband only gets payed once a month and we ended up with about $700 this month after paying bills. That does not go far with groceries, gas ect. But I still spent almost $50 at michaels the other day, I just put it on a credit card that will have to be payed next month. :eek:

KittyNL
07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Ah, so it is not only me ;). I went to a hobby shop today, they are closing down and had a huge sale. Not that I needed anything... but I came back with papers, some stamps, ink and other stuff. You never know when you might need it :twitcy:. And my receipt gives me an extra discount of EUR 3 next week... That is a few sheets of paper....

Anyway... I have been practising with my Perfect Resist stamping today. And I am getting the hang of it! I am showing you 2 ATC's that I really like.

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 01:12 PM
i use the cold laminating sheets - marbig I think - from office works
I looked once for this and wasn't sure what to buy. But what I did find, also at staples is a 3' wide packing tape. It was pricey because you either have to buy it with this bulky useless handle or buy a refill package of 6 rolls. I bought the 6 rolls and use them a packing tape and transfer tape. I even try to keep a roll in my car for those last minute envies I do at the post office.

clear contact paper works too for larger images. I haven't found a way that the seam doesn't show using the packing tape....sorry!
the clear contact paper I find nowadays is slighted frosted and I didn't like this at all.

Hi all! when I use the packing tape transfer method (which I LOVE), I've started trimming the image to incorporate it into my atc or whatever, just so theres not that line from the tape. Contact paper and I do not get along. It hates me.
I love all the links and learning here......this is fun time, no stress.
found out that I don';t want to make junque journal, I wanna make art/junk journal....trying really hard to use what I have and not but anything, but I might cave in and buy a journal that has pages that will hold up...................
gotta be sneaky though, if I walk anywhere near the Tim Holtz stamps they will jump in my cart, I have no control over those stamps.......and I have to tip toe through sticker isle, same thing happens.............get up to the register and sales lady says, "that'll be 56. dollars", I give her that blank , deer caught in the headlights , look. And meekly sort through and put stuff back. sigh.
I too sometimes just trim the transfer.

If you want to use a book you have...
If you cut the "art" paper a little smaller you can glue it into a composition or other book, leaving a bit a space so that it doesn't over crowd at the binding. Or another way that was explained to me is to cut the bages of the book to about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch Then glue the art page inbetween two of these paper tabs making a brand new page. You can do either of these methods a little at a time as you fill it up.

bluelotusflower
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Arrrrggghhhh! :arghh: I've had a particularly horrid day with ATCs. It's very hot and humid here (which puts me in a bad mood) and the fan blows everything around. It's taken me twice as long to do anything because I have to stop and retrieve scrigs of paper than have blown on the floor or stuck to my arms. The two cards I finally got done are not particularly good. I'll post them later on.

Fantasia
07-12-2011, 03:28 PM
humid here today to bluelotusflower, and I suffer the same way...so today I'm working on some backgrounds...though they take longer to dry in this weather that's for sure!

Hazartist1
07-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I am enjoying reading this thread. Thanks for all the discussion on the Citrasolve--now I have to find some.:unsure: I have some art magazines that I got at the Library sale that have brightly colored photos. I may try one of those magazines! The DH loves his National Geographics as do I.

I will try to participate tomorrow....But all of you are teaching me stuff! Thanks!

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Blue lotus I am sorry to hear that. I was feeling frustrated last night. I kept trying to type up my day, to tell you all about it and something kept interfering or going wrong. The second time I typed it all it I went to upload the pictures of my book and I couldn't resize them on my laptop to make them small enought to download. I have always used the resize/skew option in the Paint program. Well my laptop has Windows 7 and a newer version of Paint and I couldn't figure it out. So then stupidly instead of posting what I had written, and then switching all the wires to my desktop I just shutdown the laptop! So you all got a much shorter version last night before I went to bed. My husband was already almost asleep, and he is only home a couple of days so I wanted to be with him.

As things stand right now there are a apperantly a couple things I can only do on my laptop, and others involving my scanner and pictures I can only do on my desktop. Grrr

So anyways, Yesterday I found a couple of metal scrapbook embelishments to play with, but so far I have not figured out where I put those paint dabers.

I had cut 3x4 inch pictures out of a nation graphics a long time ago in prep of doing citra solve. Then I found out that you do the whole book. I took a stack of those yesterday and dribbled them with citra solve using a sponge brush, stacking them up in a plastic box. Left them overnight and they have hardly changed. My guess is this is because it may have been one of the really old NG's and not because of the aplication since they are still pretty well coated with citra solve. But I will leave them sit a bit longer.

My plans for today... look around more for the acrylic dauber. If my husband finds the box of old spray paints we have tucked away I will try Just Ducky's Paint Pail technique.

And since I want to spend time with my sweetie I will do some drawing that I can do sitting next to him. At Micheals I found a cool kit for drawing with graphs. I have not done this since highschool but I think it may help me. The reason I bought it is that it has like 16 different transparent grapghs to just lay over your photo. It also has a ruler that helps you space the lines propery on almost any size canvas. I know this is something that can be done with ordinary equipment but I wanted the transparent graphs. The other thing and what cost most of that $50 I spent at Micheals is Copic markers! I have heard about them and have wanted them for a long time. Micheals has just started carring them But I didn't see any pages of them, just buy individule pens at almost $7 apiece!

I bought 6 flesh and sand type colors since they are the hardest to find in other markers. From a book page I colected somewhere I have a couple cute vintage looking pictures of kids in these type colors. So my goal for todays LAT is to try this graph drawing and my new copic markers to make some realistic looking Kid drawings. And if I get too frustrated with that I may just switch to some Sarah Bishop Girls using my new markers... LOL

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Kitty those are beautiful!

Just Ducky
07-12-2011, 04:12 PM
just made my way to the craftyroom so gonna try some suggested background papers...
oh and Linda, I worked with my paint bucket yesterday, so I got lots of them backgrounds made...

linda... really like your idea of tissue rolls.. neat... but then that means I should be thinking of doing a journal ??? hhmmm... maybe..

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Noo this isn't a journal just a bity little book. I have decided that I am going to put all of your names into a drawing, and send my tagbook to one of you as a LAT prize. I only did backgrounds. Each page and tag are still open to a lot of mixed media type art on them. Someone could even do a little scrapbook out of it with some photos and quotes and such as a gift for a Mom or daughter.

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM
I have just posted a second swap, if its accepted. I want Bishop style mermaids and fairies and such.

egod
07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
This site has some beautiful Citrasolve sheets and links to whole galleries using citrasolve:
http://www.citrasolv.com/newcitraartist/artists.html

KESagers
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Howdy everyone! Sounds like the whole northeast is in the grip of this terrible humid weather. Triggered a headache for me that I cannot shake even though I've stayed inside in the AC all day. If it passes I'll try to do something tonight otherwise I'm just enjoying the art, tips and discussion today. Really enjoying this LAT Linda - great idea!

bluelotusflower
07-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys for putting up with my whining! I appreciate the commiseration! Great job on the LAT projects so far. Linda, your book is awesome!!

Here are today's attempts. I wanted to try gel medium image transfer (Mother Nature) and do a card in Claudine Hellmuth style. I'm afraid neither were particularly successful! :swoon:

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Well I mentioned before and Camellia did one, But ever since I started the very first one I said it would be fine for others to host them too. They usually seem to work on Weekdays as well beacuse people are not as disappointed about missing a bunch of a-thon trades because they had to work. LOL

Linda4atc
07-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Actually they are cool. I really like the mother nature one.

Mouse That Roars
07-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Wow, so many neat techniques -- this thread is really inspiring!

Being new to all this I decided to concentrate on just making some backgrounds for the Sticker- athon. Yesterday I took a paper towel & just smeared it with paint -- messy, freeform, abstract stuff like this is so not me, but it was fun:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/11746/large/1_backgrounds_1.jpg

Today I tried tea and coffee staining -- the real stuff. Turns out different from the 'tea dye' ink; the paper looks like old parchment:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/11746/large/1_backgrounds_2.jpg

Tomorrow, something else new & fun!:jiggy:

KESagers
07-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Bluelotus I like them also!

Mouse - both techniques look good but those vibrant colors on the towel are so cool!

bluelotusflower
07-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Egod - great link to the citrasol gallery. It's quite inspiring.

Mouse that Roars - I would say you had a successful day. Both techniques produced some wonderful results.

KESagers
07-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I started some packing tape transfers tonight - got everything all burnished down. I'll soak them tomorrow. Never done this before - kinda hard to believe it works but I've seen some cool results from others.

Just Ducky
07-13-2011, 12:04 AM
KESagers... I sending some cooler weather to ya gal... had a cold front hit this evening.. turned off the Air... opened windows and now I am even closing a few windows.. cool man...

tried the Wrinkle Free paper stuff... sure didn't work the same for me as they showed on the video... but hey, it's different and I like what I got...
so gotta try something new again tomorrow.... don't know .. maybe try tape transfer again. its been a long time I tried it...

HHC
07-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Gosh, I just found this. You have all been learning some fun techniques. I've also discovered a few new links to check out.

I wanna try alcohol inks on tiles. I bought some at the Re-store (reused hardware & building supplies) some time ago, and still haven't done anything with them. I saw the technique again in the Gingersnap Creations (http://gingersnapcreations.blogspot.com/p/project-and-tutorial-guide.html)site, and that got me all excited again. :D

Linda4atc
07-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Well I never got the paints for tghe paint pail or the aubers for the Tim Holtze Technique on metals.

But I did use the grapghs and drew two of the Peanuts Gang cards I needed one for a PAT group and thought it would be a good way to get myself started on the grids. I know I could have drawn Pig-Pen on my own. but I probably got the dimensions better with the grids. And I would have had trouble getting Both Linus and Lucy with those big boxing glowes Onto a small atc. I didn't have to fuss and keep erassing so this really helped me.
they are both in my gallery.

Then I decided to go for the Pallas´cat. I only draw cartoonish animals so I am very pleased with this. I still need work but I think it way better than I would have done

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Bright_Eyes_7-12-2011.jpg

Hubby is already in bed so see ya girls tomorrow. Thank you for all being here and sharing all your cool learning with us. Hugs...

Linda4atc
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks hun. My husband is up looking for the spray paints as we speak. But I have just added a couple more trade obligations to my plate so I am starting to build a pretty big list of hand drawn card obligations! I don't know if I'll get much done for the SAT.

Linda4atc
07-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Ohh my citra solve didn't work. It must have been one of the older issues. I did notice that I could leave my fingerprints in the soaked potos because the ink lifted off., but the pictures themselves were not changed much which was disaappointing. I'll have to look I believe I have another NG somewhere, if it is a 1998+ issue I will give it a try, and I have a spray bottle I can donate to citra solve so it will be a new technique for me to learn.

KESagers
07-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I hope your next try works Linda - it's cool when it does.

Here are my packing tape transfers. I really don't understand why this works but it's pretty neat. I have zero adhesive left on them so I'll have to Xyron them before I use them.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/large/1_Packing-Tape-Transfers.jpg

Linda4atc
07-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Those are soo cool. The only things I've done as tape transfers is vintage people and text. Not sure if I mentioned here but you can use a normal roll of scatch tape on text to make a narrow strip transfer. I did this with some asian print and it worked great.

bluelotusflower
07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Linda - what a fantastic kitty! Great job. Also, thanks for the tip about regular scotch tape for text.

KESagers - those color transfers are AWESOME! Have they now become stickers????!

KESagers
07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
LOL - I'm pretty sure they are going to see a second life in the STAT. ;)

Suze
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi all, I've not felt well for the past couple days, and I really wanted to be active on this a thon.....so much to learn.
Gonna go back and read all that I've missed. I'm marking all the threads to my "favorite" bar so I can go back and pull them up when I'm feeling better.
Today I made myself start my first "Artist/Junk Journal page. I'm using an old sketchbook that has pretty sturdy pages , but they still buckle under the gesso, and paint.
for some reason I like that it buckles and ripples.................never have used this sketchbook, its 8 1/2" X 10 1/2" .
heres the (unfinished )start to my first journal page.

smokeysmom
07-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Blue lotus I am sorry to hear that. I was feeling frustrated last night. I kept trying to type up my day, to tell you all about it and something kept interfering or going wrong. The second time I typed it all it I went to upload the pictures of my book and I couldn't resize them on my laptop to make them small enought to download. I have always used the resize/skew option in the Paint program. Well my laptop has Windows 7 and a newer version of Paint and I couldn't figure it out. So then stupidly instead of posting what I had written, and then switching all the wires to my desktop I just shutdown the laptop! So you all got a much shorter version last night before I went to bed. My husband was already almost asleep, and he is only home a couple of days so I wanted to be with him.

As things stand right now there are a apperantly a couple things I can only do on my laptop, and others involving my scanner and pictures I can only do on my desktop. Grrr

So anyways, Yesterday I found a couple of metal scrapbook embelishments to play with, but so far I have not figured out where I put those paint dabers.

I had cut 3x4 inch pictures out of a nation graphics a long time ago in prep of doing citra solve. Then I found out that you do the whole book. I took a stack of those yesterday and dribbled them with citra solve using a sponge brush, stacking them up in a plastic box. Left them overnight and they have hardly changed. My guess is this is because it may have been one of the really old NG's and not because of the aplication since they are still pretty well coated with citra solve. But I will leave them sit a bit longer.

My plans for today... look around more for the acrylic dauber. If my husband finds the box of old spray paints we have tucked away I will try Just Ducky's Paint Pail technique.

And since I want to spend time with my sweetie I will do some drawing that I can do sitting next to him. At Micheals I found a cool kit for drawing with graphs. I have not done this since highschool but I think it may help me. The reason I bought it is that it has like 16 different transparent grapghs to just lay over your photo. It also has a ruler that helps you space the lines propery on almost any size canvas. I know this is something that can be done with ordinary equipment but I wanted the transparent graphs. The other thing and what cost most of that $50 I spent at Micheals is Copic markers! I have heard about them and have wanted them for a long time. Micheals has just started carring them But I didn't see any pages of them, just buy individule pens at almost $7 apiece!

I bought 6 flesh and sand type colors since they are the hardest to find in other markers. From a book page I colected somewhere I have a couple cute vintage looking pictures of kids in these type colors. So my goal for todays LAT is to try this graph drawing and my new copic markers to make some realistic looking Kid drawings. And if I get too frustrated with that I may just switch to some Sarah Bishop Girls using my new markers... LOL

Linda, you can purchase copics at DickBlick.com for less than $4.00 each, and sometimes even less than that. Plus, they sell them in sets and indivially.

Linda4atc
07-13-2011, 08:01 PM
WOW big difference in price. I rarely order things online, but I try later if I get some spending money. So far I have not done enough to decide if there is a really big difference ifrom other markers.

PaintMC that is a beautiful page! I hope you feel better soon. I am really frustraited because I now ANOTHER UTI. They have been a cronic problem and I've been to my gyn, my internal medicine doctor and a urologist and none of them have fixed it and are just guessing at the reasons. I haven't felt up to doing much today at all, it is hard to concentraite.

Suze
07-13-2011, 08:33 PM
I've keep going back and looking at art journal page I did.
it needs something.
I think I'm going to paint a butterfly on her L. cheek, kinda overlapping her nose, then use a quote I love (has reference to 'unfolding ones wings in order to fly....taped to my bathroom mirror , lol) and write that quote on R. side with a stenciled whitish flower.then go over the flower with tim holtz stamp...blue one.
What do you think?...................either that or put butterfly on R, side and write quote on her face......her face is too "still" for the collage stuff on R. side. ............hey, I think I'm leaning towards writing on her face......("what if you mess up?".."well, I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it.", "Yay, well, you always over due stuff, just leave it alone", "Don't tell me what to do, ya crab".)................oh, sorry:embarrassed:, I was having a conversation with myself.
Thats what cha' get when yur old.:twitcy:

Mouse That Roars
07-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Hey, PaintMC, there's no such thing as "messing up" , just serendipitous accidents.
And, yeah, I have those kind of conversations with myself, too. Usually because my brain is a million miles away, lost in a story I'm writing or working out an idea for a scrap page or piece of art....

Mouse That Roars
07-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Last night I dug up some white tissue paper & decided to give that a go. Glued it to 3 cards & let it dry overnight, then colored with pigment ink, paint & spray mists:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/11746/large/1_backgrounds_3.jpg

Fun but messy -- aw, who am I kidding, messy is half the fun.:D

Mouse That Roars
07-13-2011, 09:23 PM
When my DH got home this evening we went to Tuesday Morning (dangerous place) & I found a set of these over in the craft section:
http://www.poshimpressions.com/productsRainbowSponges.htm

So of course I had to play with them as soon as I got home:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/11746/large/1_backgrounds_4.jpg

Using the sponge to wipe the inks around was ok, but applying the inks directly to the card & then spritzing water worked better, IMO.
Found myself a corner rounder, too -- been meaning to get one.

I've had a blast with this & figured out some new techniques -- would really love to do this again!:jiggy:

KESagers
07-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Mouse those backgrounds are way cool!

Feel better Linda!

ArtsyLady
07-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Suze...I love your journal page....and your new avatar rocks too...

egod
07-13-2011, 10:12 PM
One of the challenges in my book was to make a collage or painting about something that scares you. I think my collage might scare everybody else. Death was my topic. I'm not quite through with it yet, and it has to dry. Central figure is citrasolved paper. I haven't decided whether to post it or not yet. But at least I did finish (almost) a collage.
I also dyed some cheesecloth with coffee. I had planned to use it n the collage, but it didn't work out.

Linda4atc
07-13-2011, 10:34 PM
One of the challenges in my book was to make a collage or painting about something that scares you. I think my collage might scare everybody else. Death was my topic. I'm not quite through with it yet, and it has to dry. Central figure is citrasolved paper. I haven't decided whether to post it or not yet. But at least I did finish (almost) a collage.
I also dyed some cheesecloth with coffee. I had planned to use it n the collage, but it didn't work out.

OOoo sounds creepy. Often are can be a very persoanl thing too. We understand if it isn't something yu are comfortable sharing. Kudos to you for facing your fear enough to create it.

Suze
07-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Mouse...beautiful prepped pages...now your ready to STICKER IT !!

Thanks for the compliment , Novas ; )
egod....I admire artists that can do "deep" and work it out through art....kudo's.
Linda, hope your feeling better soon.....I hate those d___ UTI's.!

finished my art page....was scarey to stencil butterfly on her face...thought my hand was gonna shake. lol. ....i decided all it needed was something to tie the quote in with her. whew, first one done!

KESagers
07-13-2011, 11:48 PM
I like it Paintmanycolors!

Linda4atc
07-13-2011, 11:56 PM
It is beautiful.

I didn't do a darn thing today except wear out the carpet between my computer and the bathroom. But I have been looking through my links and thought I would share this. It is one of the cool ideas that was shared with us at the AFA Calif gathering last year in Monterey.
http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html

HHC
07-14-2011, 01:37 AM
So... some of what I have done today is using my luminere paints on paper-ish flowers (not sure if they are really paper?) and dying a ribbon to match the flowers. I haven't tried this before, and am making a bit of a mess of it. LOL!

I'm trying to finish an altered tin for a contest, and feel I must get it entered, as our local craft store gave us the flower samples to play with so we could enter. :unsure: Why do I get myself into these situations.

In any case, the first rendition did not work, and this is the second rendition in progress.

Oh, the board book in the background was the first project I was going to enter, but it's taking me entirely TOO long and is not going to happen in time. Thus the altered tin, which I didn't think would take this long. :rolleyes:

Suze
07-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi all, Linda , thanks for doing this Learn a thon! I didn't do as much as I'd planned, but sure found some wonderful links to wonderful art making stuff. Plus got to hang out with everyone here . (Personally, I think a "learn a thon" should be an ongoing thread:yes::yes::yes:)
Thanks again LInda and all who shared dif. techniques.

egod
07-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I once had an art group that met regularly and because of various circumstances, we no longer do. This thread fulfills a need for me. I'd love to see it continued as well. I just realized that it's over!

bluelotusflower
07-14-2011, 11:04 AM
HHC, your project looks lovely! :yes: Yes, this thread has been most informative! Thanks, Linda, for hosting this thread. Brilliant idea. :idea:

Linda4atc
07-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Well If AFA rule permit we could have an ongoing LAT thread done like the Chat threads??
We could even have the person who does the 1000 post start the new one... ROFL

I am going to put all of your names in a drawing for my tag book. Then I have to pack up to go into town to the lab and maybe the doctor If I can't get her to just call in the perscription. Taking my laptop with me.

Linda4atc
07-14-2011, 12:49 PM
just made my way to the craftyroom so gonna try some suggested background papers...
oh and Linda, I worked with my paint bucket yesterday, so I got lots of them backgrounds made...

linda... really like your idea of tissue rolls.. neat... but then that means I should be thinking of doing a journal ??? hhmmm... maybe..

Well girl the decission was made for you. Out of 18 names Yours is the one my hubby drew. I hope you like it. It still needs decorating it basically just the backgounds.

HHC
07-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Yay for ducky! :)

I think an ongoing thread would be fun!

KESagers
07-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Congrats Ducky!

An ongoing thread gets my vote too. ;)

smokeysmom
07-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Congratulations Ducky! Woop de Doo!!

bluelotusflower
07-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Fantastic, Ducky! Now you will have to show and tell here on this thread! We would LOVE to see this thread continue! :yes:

SOTO
07-15-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm always up for learning new techniques, so an ongoing thread would be wonderful!

SOTO

Linda4atc
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
LOL, OK Then The School Bell continues to Ring! Which do you all think would be better....1000 posts like in the chat thread, or a new LAT thread each month or quartly?

Linda4atc
07-15-2011, 01:47 PM
The doctor gave me a med yesterday but last night I was in bed at 8:30 feeling really miserable. This is one of the worst UTI's I've had.

KESagers
07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Feel better Linda!

I like the idea of a 1000 post thread that's ongoing - that way you don't have to worry about whether you overlap with a marathon because it will always overlap and a marathon is a good time to try a new technique so it could be shared in both places.

Linda4atc
07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
So today is Saturday, Are all of you doing the Sticker-a-thon with the backgrounds you made?

I am still playing with my GridArt Toolkit that I bought from Michaels. I did some Dr. Who images that I'm pleased with and more Peanuts gang. Some of this I could have drawn but I think with the really hand grids I am getting most proportins better and a whole lot faster. These images are all in my gallery if you are interested.

KESagers
07-16-2011, 10:39 PM
They look great Linda! I worked with my packing tape transfers today. They are in my gallery also. :)

Just Ducky
07-16-2011, 11:44 PM
LOOKie

I got it... ALREADY I got it... and it's only Saturday... Linda, I am sooooooo happy.. I love this thing... sorry, but I ferget what you call this... I call it my Linda journal... thank ya... well actually thank your sweet hubby, since he pulled the Ducky name.... show and tell.........
and LOOK, it's Pink and so pretty... it's gonna be fun to see what I can do with this cutie... thanks so much Linda....

HHC
07-17-2011, 12:27 AM
That is a cool little journal, Nancy! :)

Linda4atc
07-17-2011, 12:52 AM
LOL I call it a Tag book but call it what ever you want hun. You are welcome.

Just Ducky
07-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Tag Book... yep that's it... great name.. and how neat you using the tissue rolls... love it.

HHC
07-17-2011, 01:04 AM
I can't for the life of me figure out where the tissue rolls come in... :huh: LOL!

Linda4atc
07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
LOL Helen I took two cardboard tissue rolls and flattened them out, I trimmed one about a 3/4 of inch shorter than the other so they would have a layered effect in the book.

I covered them with pretty papers, made three flat pages from cardstock to put between them and one page on top of the "stack". I then bound them, and made two tags that fit inside of the Pockets formed by the decorated tissue rolls.

thee tags have yarns on them