PDA

View Full Version : RECON For Arizona Gathering???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

HotMamaRama
09-05-2011, 05:43 PM
It's Official!!! ARTzona is locked in for
Friday, January 20 - Sunday, Jan. 22, 2012
@ the Country Inn & Suites, East Mesa, Arizona!!!!

OPEN TO ALL AFA FRIENDS who might have a need to thaw out a little in January and create some art while you're at it! And if you don't need to thaw out this winter, but just want to come for the fun and the food, (Triple D territory BABY!!!) then that is fine by us too!!!

There are currently 15 rooms blocked for our ARTzona Event.
Please call the hotel and put a room in your name as soon as possible.
Regular rooms (2 queens or 1 King/can sleep up to 4 people) = $119.00 per night
Suites (2 queens or 1 King with a seperate living area with a hide-a-bed couch/sleeps up to 6) = $129.00 per night.
To make reservations just call: 480-0641-8000 and tell them it's for the ARTzona Group.
For more information about the Location, just follow this link to Country Inn & Suites. (http://www.countryinns.com/mesa-hotel-az-85206/azmesa)

Once you have reserved a room, please let me know in the thread or in a PM. I'd like to keep a head count so if we need more rooms I can reserve them ASAP. Plus, if you will be wanting/needing to share rooms to lower the expense, then that will help with the official head count too.

AIRPORT & SHUTTLE INFORMATION: There is the Phoenix/Mesa Gateway Airport (http://www.phxmesagateway.org/) in Mesa. They are a smaller airport and Allegiant Air (http://www.allegiantair.com/AllegiantPhoenixMesaDestinations.php) flies through there. They fly to and from smaller locations but I also think they are cheaper for many flights if you are lucky enough to have them fly near you. Rumor has it that they do tack on various fees, so be sure to check the details before booking.

Otherwise the next best airport to fly to would be Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (http://skyharbor.com/). Real easy to get to and from, and the Super Shuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com/en/PHXAirportShuttlePhoenix.html) can pick you up and take you to and from the airport and hotel for reasonably cheap. So I was told. You will want to confirm this for yourself.

WHAT TO BRING:
- Your favorite art supplies (if you are flying, pack your scissors in your checked baggage and leave your aerosols at home.)
- Art to trade (ATCs, Chunkies, Gothic Arches, Postcards, Journal Pages, Backgrounds etc.)
- Goodie bags to share. These can be anything artsy related. Here are just some ideas: (ephemera, precut ATCs or inchies, unmounted rubber stamps, random scrap or handmade papers, domino to alter, other stuff to alter, fibers, used stamps, gel pens, printed images, mini stamp pads, colored pencil, punchinella, etc.)
- Any art/craft supplies you no longer have a use for can go on the "Take It or Leave It" table. I've already been contacted by one very generous AFAer who is sending a box of gems that she no longer needs. :)
- Create A Signature Artist Card and make prints to trade and share! Design a Self-Portrait or a creative interpretation of yourself on the front, and on the back include fun details about yourself. You can use any categories you like, here’s what I had on the back of mine for the OLG this past August. But feel free to be a creative with the backs as you like.
Favorite Medium: anything & everything
Personality: Mama Bear
Strengths: My Faith & My Family
Weaknesses: hot tea, wine, & dirty jokes
Addictions: kisses from my kids, spooning my hubby, & art supplies
WebSites/Blogs:

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Thursday (Early Birds) ~ Scottsdale Artwalk 7 - 9 PM in Scottsdale, AZ.
Friday ~ Art room opens at 3 PM. Meet & Greet, drop off art supplies to room, trade art. Group dinner either at a resaurant or pizza delivery. Art as late as we want.
Saturday ~ Art room opens at 8 AM (If you are an early riser, it shouldn't be a problem to get in a work quietly if you wish) Art and demos during the day. Possible field trip Mesa Swap meet to visit the Gadget Buy! Dinner at a restaurant or pizza delivery. Art until we can't see straight.
Sunday ~ Room opens at 8 AM, Art and Mimosa's in the morning. We have to be out of the room by Noon. Then a hike at Usery Park and field trip to Goldfield Ghost town.

This list will be modified as we get closer to the event. Be sure to come back and check this page frequently.

Demonstrations:
Encaustics - BigToeStudio
Zetti & or blending with Copics - HotMamaRama
TBA

Those who are interested thus far include, but not limited to:

People coming for SURE!!!

1. HotMamarama (AZ)
2. Theresagram (AZ)
3. JensAZ (AZ)
4. WildHolly (OR)
5. ShayNOLA (MD)
6. lilbad (OR)
7. Jennie (AZ)
8. BigToeStudio (AZ)
9. Dragonstarr (OR)
10. DebbaPeot (NV)
11. Pochadiva (CA)
12. Kayart (CA)
13. Helene (CA)
14. Aznfg (AZ)
15. Rapa (CA)
16. Nancyjb (S. CA)
17. Lovefroud (GA)

Roomies at the hotel:

1. Helene & Rapa, Nancyjb
2. Lovefroud & Dragonstarr & ShayNOLA & DebbaPeot
3. Pochadiva & Kayart

Theresagram
09-05-2011, 06:05 PM
We'll have to tell Sherrie about it too!!!

RobbyGirl
09-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Oh you can put me on the wildly interested list!

HHC
09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh... I would so love to do this! I'm interested for sure.

I'd prolly bring my hubs though; I can't go to a warm place in the dead of our gray wet winter without him.

JanisElain
09-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Please put me on the "interested" list! :D :D :D Not sure what my school/work schedule will be like in February, but would LOVE to go if I can work it out.

By the way, Martin Luther King Jr. weekend (Jan. 13th - 16th) WON'T work for me. But mid or late February would be great!

shayNOLA
09-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm all over it, like a second date... like a hobo on a ham sandwich... like white on rice...
I would totally consider a trip out to AZ to see my girls!

RedHeartStudio
09-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Woot Woot!!! :)

HotMamaRama
09-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm all over it, like a second date... like a hobo on a ham sandwich... like white on rice...
I would totally consider a trip out to AZ to see my girls!

ROFL!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!! :jiggy:

Sharazoid
09-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Oh...so tempted. Not likely that I'll be able to wrangle the time & money, but...tempted, tempted.

HotMamaRama
09-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah - I'm totally adding you all to the VERY interested list!!! :)

And Helen, hubby's and families are allowed. You are so right.... it wouldn't be fair not to let the family have some warm sunshine in Jan. or Feb. too! ;) Maybe I can scout out some places that have family friendly stuff nearby.

I know when we first moved here, we stayed at this place, Country Inn and Suites I think it was called, and there were tons of great restaurants within walking distance, a HUGE Mall across the street, and not that far from some Museaums, etc.

If we REALLY wanted to get adventurous.... Every Thursday evening in Scottsdale (About 15 - 30 minutes north of Mesa) from 7-9 pm they do an Art walk downtown. Tons of galleries, artists on site, music, vendors, food, wine, etc. I've been aching to go, and who better to go with then all my AFA peeps!! :) Here's a link for the Scottsdale Artwalk. (http://www.scottsdalegalleries.com/about.html)

HotMamaRama
09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Also that Country Inn and Suites has conference rooms and heated pool and hot tub outside.... If we get enough people to warrent it, I'm game for renting the room out for a day or two. :) I probably would be able to get a group rate on rooms too.

HotMamaRama
09-05-2011, 08:56 PM
We'll have to tell Sherrie about it too!!!

For sure. And I know there are several other AZ peeps here too. Some in Tuscon, and up over in Surprise I believe.

Theresa - Since you know more of the other AZ folks on here, maybe you could spread the word. And we might even be able to convince some CA folks (ie. Nutty Nanners) to jaunt on over here for a day or two! :)

lilbad
09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I will be in Lake Havasu all the month of Jan. Would not be able to come in FEb!

HotMamaRama
09-05-2011, 09:03 PM
OH OH OH OH!!! We will definitely make a note of that lilbad!!! :jiggy: :jiggy:
AND I would gladly come to Havasu in Jan. to see you and Beth!!

lilbad
09-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Okeedookee!

HotMamaRama
09-05-2011, 09:10 PM
...By the way, Martin Luther King Jr. weekend (Jan. 13th - 16th) WON'T work for me. But mid or late February would be great!

Will make a note for this too. Would any other week(end) in January work for you Janni?

HotMamaRama
09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I personally wouldn't be able to do anything during the week, as I have little ones in school. But a Fri - Sun. sort of thing I could definitely manage.

jensaz
09-05-2011, 11:05 PM
I would LOVE to meet some more AFA peeps!

JanisElain
09-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Trina - I think all other weekends in Jan/Feb are about equal (other than the MLK weekend).

That'll be my last quarter in school (starting early January) and I don't know yet whether I'll have "live" classes (evenings and Saturdays) or "online" classes that quarter. Hopefully, all of my classes will be online because then I have a great deal of flexibilty in scheduling my school work around other events. But it's possible that I may have a Saturday class, in which case I might not be able to come. Fingers crossed here! I'd LOVE to be there!!!

Go-Go Gadget Girl
09-06-2011, 05:37 PM
put on the list... it will all depend on money
but would LOVE to see you all again

lilbad
09-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Add me if it's in Jan!!

JoyFlower
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Definitely interested if the timing and finances fall into place. :)

HHC
09-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Ha! I asked hubby if he had a reason to go to Arizona in Jan or Feb would he want to, and he said "Hell yes!". :rolleyes:

:D

shayNOLA
09-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Ha! I asked hubby if he had a reason to go to Arizona in Jan or Feb would he want to, and he said "Hell yes!". :rolleyes:

:D

What a guy! Great answer!! It would be awesome to see everyone again. It was such a great group!

big toe studio
09-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Theresa, thanks for the PM, I dont know how I missed this

I would love to join. Im pretty flexible as to dates. the Scottsdale art walk sounds exciting.

will keep in touch

wildholly
09-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Go-go---Design more sockies!

nanner
09-07-2011, 02:00 AM
I'd consider driving out for some Arizaniness! Maybe even carpool if there are any other SoCall-girls? Exciting!

MelanieS
09-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Very tempting...but my sister lives in Mesa, and She and I don't get along very well. It would be a funny fart if I did go and didn't tell her, and ran into her somewhere there! LOL! But seriously, $$ is the biggest issue for me, plus someone to take care of Sienna.

Rogue Gal
09-07-2011, 03:33 AM
I'm definately interested - would depend on finances for sure!

Theresagram
09-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Very tempting...but my sister lives in Mesa, and She and I don't get along very well. It would be a funny fart if I did go and didn't tell her, and ran into her somewhere there! LOL! But seriously, $$ is the biggest issue for me, plus someone to take care of Sienna.

I have a sister who lives in Mesa too...we don't get along and haven't spoken in over a year! Haven't seen her either.(And she only lives 4 miles from me!) LOL :twitcy: So maybe we can sneak you into town! :D

wildholly
09-07-2011, 11:14 AM
My niece lives in Mesa too.... But we do get along...I'd love to bring her to the gathering.

HHC
09-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, we're looking at renting a motor home to take a two week jaunt to Arizona, (our little MH just won't make it that far anymore) It's quite reasonable, actually, compared to the cost of flights and hotels and rental cars. :jiggy:

jaw
09-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I'd love to do this too ... since our Arizona trip last year was during 100 year record breaking lows ... it would be nice to see some sun and warmth this time. My Handsome Husband would come with me too ... depending on dates, not sure if I'll be able to make it.

wildholly
09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
There's a fantastical gem and rock show in Tucson too...it takes over the entire town--sometime during those months?
Not sure of the dates but if you plan on heading that way..might as well see it all.

HotMamaRama
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Well it sounds like there are enough folks interested just with the list so far to warrent the search for a location and dates.

I will call around and compare rates for rooms and a conference room. I'll start with the Mesa area, just cause it's close to home and I think we can find a good deal around here.

I think I've added all the people who said they could come to the VERY INTERESTED List, but if I missed someone please let me know. I realize this is a rough head count, but it's a start.

Nanners - I was hoping you would find your way over here!! :) I say bring who ever you can find! :)

And for those of you considering the RV traveling. I can check around and do some pricing for RV resorts in the area. I know there are several within a couple of miles from my house. I do believe their rates go up during the winter months, and I think they fill up fast. I'll get some names and numbers for some of these places too.

Oh I am getting excited at the mere thought that we will all get to hang together again soon!!!! :)

Theresagram
09-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Trina, not only is Mesa closer to us...it's going to be a lot more reasonably priced than Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc. :D

nanner
09-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Nanners - I was hoping you would find your way over here!! :) I say bring who ever you can find! :)

And who can stand ME for 6 hours in the car, ha! :twitcy:

With all the family dynamics in Mesa, maybe we need to include a night of sister therapy, and/or wine therapy? I'm happy to help with either or both. :D

Theresagram
09-07-2011, 08:22 PM
And who can stand ME for 6 hours in the car, ha! :twitcy:

With all the family dynamics in Mesa, maybe we need to include a night of sister therapy, and/or wine therapy? I'm happy to help with either or both. :D

I'm all for the wine therapy!!! :D

DRAGONSTARR
09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
I am interested :) It would depend on if I could get coverage for a friday at work, since I am the only one who works in the office and my company isn't very good at providing coverage it might be rather difficult. I got lucky at OLG, cause I think my Dr really wanted me to be able to go, so she took the day off for vacation and we closed the office. I'm going to try like heck :D

jazzie
09-08-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm throwing my hat into the MAYBE pile - definitely interested! :~]

mrubyjean
09-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Me, too...I'm definitely interested...but it all depends on specific dates, costs and the alignment of the stars :wacko:!

HotMamaRama
09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Adding the new maybe's to the list!!!

Oh this truly could be one mighty fun time if the dates work out for everyone! :jiggy:

And I am ALWAYS up for WINE THERAPY!!! (Any adult beverage really - I'm easy) ;)

RedHeartStudio
09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Oh good.....I am glad I am not the only Easy one in the bunch!! lol ;)

Sharazoid
09-08-2011, 05:12 PM
There IS a huge Gem & Mineral Show in Tucson (that is all over the town). There is also one in Quartzite. One is in January; the other is in February. Can't remember which is first. I have friends who have a new age store & they go every year. Fun!
There is also a renaissance festival east of Apache Junction. Runs 2/11-4/1/12.

If I were coming, I would probably want to get as much time in with all of you arteests (and not do too much traveling). Though...if I had a month... I could certainly find what to do.

Dreaming of being there.

big toe studio
09-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Trina: if you need any help, just give a whistle (you do know how to whistle,dont you?)
Im good on the phone and am out and about almost every day

jensaz
09-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes, the Renaissance Festival is something to see, as a veteran performer there (15 years with the exception of the last 4) I can say it's a fun day out. You really have to spend at least a day there tho, so if any arting is being planned, it might cause a problem.

jensaz
09-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Tucson Gem and Mineral show - Feb 9 - 12 here's a link
http://www.tgms.org/2012showinfo.htm

Theresagram
09-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes, the Renaissance Festival is something to see, as a veteran performer there (15 years with the exception of the last 4) I can say it's a fun day out. You really have to spend at least a day there tho, so if any arting is being planned, it might cause a problem.

Didn't know you did that! Cool! I used to take my son when he was little. Haven't been in years.

jensaz
09-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Yes, finally when I started dating my hubs, I quit "playing". Used to be in a re-enactment group of Scottish/Irish/English folk.

Theresagram
09-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Yes, finally when I started dating my hubs, I quit "playing". Used to be in a re-enactment group of Scottish/Irish/English folk.

No wonder you're such an Anglophile! :D

HotMamaRama
09-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Trina: if you need any help, just give a whistle (you do know how to whistle,dont you?)
Im good on the phone and am out and about almost every day

Silly - Yes I can whistle, though my husband says I don't do it right.... ;) If you can PM me your phone number, I'll give you a ring.

Shortly after we moved here, we drove past this, but didn't stop. Traffic was lined up for MILES down the highway though. Definitely would take up your entire day!!!

Tucson Gem and Mineral show - Feb 9 - 12 here's a link
http://www.tgms.org/2012showinfo.htm
This sounds cool, but it is quite a drive down there and back. So it would be more for the folks that want to extend their stay and do some extra's in Arizona.

There's also a GIANT Flee Market just down the road from us, and Theresa turned me on to "The Dentist Tool Guy"! He has all kinds of gizmo's great for MM artists!!!

Theresagram
09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Oh yes, we must take them to my gadget guy!!! :jiggy:

nanner
09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Field Trip!

wildholly
09-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I'd love to get to that Gem show in Tucson this year--and it's on my birthday....

RobbyGirl
09-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Oh yes, we must take them to my gadget guy!!! :jiggy:

I'm definitely interested in the gadget guy!

Theresagram
09-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Oh Robin, you will LOVE my gadget guy!!! He sells the COOLEST dental tools so CHEAP! Like $2-$3 and they are sooooo handy for so many things!!! He's got so many great surgical type scissors for the same prices, great for cutting out things for atc's and stuff. And tweezers! Tiny tweezers and HUGE tweezers and everything in between. I think I may have about 10 or 12 pair of tweezers! And at least 16 pairs of scissors.

And he has so many other cool things!! :jiggy::jiggy:

jazzie
09-09-2011, 09:58 PM
doh!
I was thinking he had old rusty torture-type instruments to play with...

Theresagram
09-09-2011, 10:05 PM
doh!
I was thinking he had old rusty torture-type instruments to play with...

Um...:unsure:...maybe those are in the back.

RobbyGirl
09-10-2011, 07:54 AM
I was thinking dental drills with really fine bits and crazy pliers....LOL!

Theresagram
09-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't know if he has any fine drills bits or crazy pliers. But some of his dental tools are so handy for so many things. Besides the picks, there are tiny spoon like things, long flat tools, sharp tools, shovel type tools...just everything a gal needs to play in her art room! :twitcy:

Oh, and he sells the Helping Hand thing. Online I've seen them for up to $50. He has them for like $6 or so!!
They are really nice even if you're not soldering something. Sometimes you just need an extra 'hand' or a magnifying glass you don't have to hold. I love mine!!

Theresagram
09-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Announcement****

Nanner & I are now taking donations for the Wine Therapy Fund (WTF) :twitcy:
Please send cash to us before the gathering.

Thank you****

jensaz
09-11-2011, 12:05 AM
AAAAHHHH, another meaning for WTF..

nanner
09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
HAR! :biglaugh:

And YES! Feel free to start a swear-jar, host a car wash, or whatever you need to do to ready the WTF.

2012 Resolution list: Wine and Art Therapy in AZ

amyfaerie
09-12-2011, 02:31 PM
i am with peggy . . . put me on the list. if i can swing the airfare, i'll be there!

HotMamaRama
09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
HAR! :biglaugh:

And YES! Feel free to start a swear-jar, host a car wash, or whatever you need to do to ready the WTF.

2012 Resolution list: Wine and Art Therapy in AZ

I LOVE THIS WAY MORE THAN I SHOULD!!!! MY new favorite definition for WTF!!!
And I think this is THE BEST resolution EVER!!!! :)

HotMamaRama
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
i am with peggy . . . put me on the list. if i can swing the airfare, i'll be there!

Damn straight Baby!!!! We WILL find a way to get your arse down here!!!! Just saying.....

wildholly
09-12-2011, 08:51 PM
WTF!!!! love it!

Theresagram
09-12-2011, 09:05 PM
You can all send cash for the WTF, or of course...wine!

jazzie
09-12-2011, 11:15 PM
we wouldn't want to put temptation in front of you before we get there now would we?

Theresagram
09-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Oh, it's safe with me! :rolleyes:

wildholly
09-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Jacks....YOU ARE going to be there!

HotMamaRama
09-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Theresa turned me onto this place out in Apache Junction (about 15-20 minutes from my house) called Goldfield Ranch. It was once a very productive gold mining area, and now they have recreated it to look and feel just like the old wild west. They even do cowboy shoot outs on the weekends. Saloon, gift shops, bordello, church, mudslingers, and much more.

Theresa - I bought 2 small pots that I love and have my colored pencils in one already. and when I told him that my friend Theresa said I had to check it out - he said to tell you hello. :)

We also did the little train ride where the "conductor" tells you about the history of the area. Then did the mine tour underground (ish) and even tried out the Mystery Shack. Fun cheap little interesting things that didn't take long at all. Even the kids liked it.

So if something like this interests anyone, we can figure out a way to add it to the list of to do's.

shayNOLA
09-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Ooooo... can we play dress-up, too??! :jiggy:

nanner
09-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh, yes Shay. And no worries, folks, if you don't have room for your fave dress up clothes, I always travel with extra Elvis glasses-n-sideburns. :elvis:

I love obscure field trips. Magical mystery shack/mine tour sounds like fun.

HotMamaRama
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Ooooo... can we play dress-up, too??! :jiggy:

Why yes you can!!! :)

They also have one of those photo studio's where you can dress up like Butch Casidy or a Brothel Babe, or Saloon Wench, etc. They'll even turn your mug into a Wanted Poster if you'd like!!! :D

jensaz
09-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Yes and the Mining Camp restaurant next door is an interesting place to eat.. Family style

Theresagram
09-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Theresa turned me onto this place out in Apache Junction (about 15-20 minutes from my house) called Goldfield Ranch. It was once a very productive gold mining area, and now they have recreated it to look and feel just like the old wild west. They even do cowboy shoot outs on the weekends. Saloon, gift shops, bordello, church, mudslingers, and much more.

Theresa - I bought 2 small pots that I love and have my colored pencils in one already. and when I told him that my friend Theresa said I had to check it out - he said to tell you hello. :)

We also did the little train ride where the "conductor" tells you about the history of the area. Then did the mine tour underground (ish) and even tried out the Mystery Shack. Fun cheap little interesting things that didn't take long at all. Even the kids liked it.

So if something like this interests anyone, we can figure out a way to add it to the list of to do's.

Glad you had fun. He's a nice guy. Love his pots!! I need more of them!! :D

lilbad
09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Has a date been set...?

HotMamaRama
09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Not yet, but I am working on it. I want to find the best place with the best prices.
I also plan to post a poll for some dates and see which ones will work best for the majority.

Theresagram
09-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Um, so far I haven't gotten anything for the WTF....

jazzie
09-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Jacks....YOU ARE going to be there!

mais oui!

That is if the stars align and nanner doesn't drive us over the edge of a canyon - grand or otherwise - while wearing her Elvis sunglasses & sideburns!!!

wildholly
09-14-2011, 02:32 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wildholly
09-14-2011, 02:37 PM
OH...I put my vote in for Goldfield Ranch...Went there last winter it is awesome fun.
Loved it! If you drive further in you get to another old mining place.
I have a picture of some cowboys that live there...will post it as soon I find it.

DebbaPeot
09-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Trina!
Absolutely count me in! Awesome idea!

DebbaPeot
09-14-2011, 06:47 PM
I'd love to get to that Gem show in Tucson this year--and it's on my birthday....

I would love to go with ya Miss WildHolly as it's my b-day too!!! Who wouldn't love to celebrate birthdays and Gems? Isn't a beer and Gems a girls best friend? LOL

HotMamaRama
09-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Yay!!! Debby I will definitely add you to the list!!!! :)

And Beer and gems... as long as the gems are diamonds, count me in!!! :)

HotMamaRama
09-14-2011, 10:05 PM
OH...I put my vote in for Goldfield Ranch...Went there last winter it is awesome fun.
Loved it! If you drive further in you get to another old mining place.
I have a picture of some cowboys that live there...will post it as soon I find it.
There were REAL cowboys hanging out in the Saloon when I was there. Lots of cowboy hats, leather chaps, and pistols hanging out of their pants in the back. THE REAL DEAL!!! :D

I'm pretty sure this is also where an old friend goes to play cowboy on the weekends. Guess they have quite the shoot out and skit.

Theresagram
09-14-2011, 10:16 PM
There were REAL cowboys hanging out in the Saloon when I was there. Lots of cowboy hats, leather chaps, and pistols hanging out of their pants in the back. THE REAL DEAL!!! :D

I'm pretty sure this is also where an old friend goes to play cowboy on the weekends. Guess they have quite the shoot out and skit.

I used to date a guy who 'played cowboy' out at Apacheland out in AJ years and years ago. Teehee. They certainly look real, don't they. Teehee.

HotMamaRama
09-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Hope he didn't wear his spurs to bed!! LMAO

Theresagram
09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
LOL He was a drywaller. Soooo not a cowboy! :twitcy:

big toe studio
09-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I just got a MMH card from Shellara, and found out she is here in AZ too.
invited her to look at our thread

here we grow

nanner
09-15-2011, 02:16 PM
That is if the stars align and nanner doesn't drive us over the edge of a canyon - grand or otherwise - while wearing her Elvis sunglasses & sideburns!!!

Remind me to stop coordinating with The Jack Attack after watching the Thelma & Louise marathon. :swoon:

These field trips sound super-fun. And we may have to break into the WTF fund to splurge on a retreat-wide Birthday Party!

But first we need more than pocket lint and dried up gel medium in the WTF. Will check under the car seats and sofa cushions looking for change...

DebbaPeot
09-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Nanner, You could always come to Vegas and grab one of the corners on the strip and take over for a night? I'm sure you'd get enough $$ for all of us poora$$es! LOL
And, No! I don't know which corner is the best! LMAO
Hugs!

Pochadiva
09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks to shayNOLA...I found out about this thread. I'm going to check with my local cronies and see if they are game! Sounds like a blast. Put me on the list to start with anyway.

Helene
09-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Well....you know....Phoenix is not that far from San Diego....Pochadiva just shot me an e-mail about this wildly appealing adventure!!! You do accept next-door neighbours right???

HotMamaRama
09-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Yay more California Girls!!! Hi neighbors! Glad you found us.

I will add you both to the maybe list.

lilbad
09-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Hoping for January! Just saying......

DebbaPeot
09-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I think NuttyNanner just grabbed my a$$! I think I could pass as a BrothelKitty... meowww.....for the corner....hisssss..... with Nanner! I would definately go with you!!! LOL HUGS!

DebbaPeot
09-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Helen, You guys could come to Vegas and we can do a caravan! That is if you want to take a slight detour north instead of driving straight across the road! lol
Plus, you gotta check out the new HooverDamnDam Bridge....amazing construction magic was incorporated into building that thing! *just a side seeking tourist travel guide** lmao

MelanieS
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
So who's road trippin' from Oregon???

Theresagram
09-18-2011, 08:07 PM
I hope everyone can make it!! It would be so great to meet you all!! :D

HotMamaRama
09-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Okay folks I think I found us a good deal for our event. The location is Country Inn & Suites, Mesa, AZ (http://www.countryinns.com/mesa-hotel-az-85206/azmesa) It is right off of Hwy 60 which basically takes you any where you want to go fast and easy. There are over 11 restaurants within walking distance, a VERY large Mall across the hwy. And also right across the Hwy is a Micheal's for those who just might NEED more art supplies. :D :D :D The hotel also has a heated swimming pool and hot tub and outside decking.

The rates are $119.00 for a standard room (1 King or 2 queen beds) And for ony $10.00 more, you can book a suite ($129.00) which includes a living area, couch, table, etc. With either a King or 2 queens. The couch in the suite is a pull out so theoretically you could sleep 6 in one of those rooms. That said, I've stayed there and though the pull out was fine for mi kids, it was not very comfortable for an adult. Just saying...... Also, room rates include continental breakfast (They have yummy waffles) and evening snack options.

Now, The meeting space is plenty big enough for all of us, and we CAN bring in our own catering if we want (We can also bring in our own food).
The down side -- The meeting space cost $200.00 a day!!!! :eek: The up side is -- If we book 20 or more rooms for the weekend event, the meeting space is FREE!!!!! :jiggy: I LIKE FREE!!!!!!!!

Now we have some open dates. For January we can either pick the weekend of January 20-22 (fri. - Sun.) Or Jan. 27 - 29. The only weekend available in February is Feb. 17- 19. (Fri. - Sun.)

I'm going to figure out how to set up a poll at the top of our page. When it's up, please go vote for which weekend(s) works best for you. And we'll go from there.

I'm still looking for a back up location that may have cheaper rates for the meeting space, as there is NO WAY I can afford $600.00 for the space for 3 days)! But I'm really hoping this place will work for us as it is close, cheap, nice, and a great central location!!!

jaeseals
09-19-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm definitely interested in this! How did I not see this before?! Definitely down for a road trip with anyone from so*cal/vegas to my favorite state!

Theresagram
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Trina, I have been wracking my brains trying to think of a place too. Will let you know if I come up with any ideas. Figuring out the dates and a head count will help.

lilbad
09-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Here's hoping for Jan....!! Woot!

shayNOLA
09-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Got my fingers crossed it's not the weekend in Feb. My kids are out of school both Friday and Monday and it would be too difficult to get someone to watch them ALL day, BOTH days.
$600 is A LOT of mulah! 20 rooms and it's free? Let's see... most of us will probably have a roomie to share costs, so that means we will need AT LEAST 40 something attendees... Gotta run. Going to PM some AFA artists!

Theresagram
09-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Should have mentioned....I'm not voting because any of those dates work for me. I just have to request the time off work once it's decided upon. :D

nanner
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
On that note, I marked the two weeks that DO work for me. Thanks for all the recon and planning!

Booking 20 rooms to get the meeting room free might be kinda tough (with us roomie-ing up.) I'm sure you asked them all kinds of what-if's, but did they mention any kind of discount if we book a good number of rooms (but less than 20)? Any wiggle room between $200 and $0 for the meeting room?

Worst case example, if it costs $600 for the meeting room, divided by 23 attendees is $26 each. That's not too bad if we all split it. :idea:

wildholly
09-19-2011, 11:31 PM
I'll already be there so can work in any of the three dates, so I won't vote either.

Also, I won't be needing a room since we'll already be staying fairly close and I can commute.
Will chip in for the meeting room though.

HHC
09-20-2011, 01:52 AM
In Hood River we had 28-ish people and 16 rooms. So it's feasible! Although at this point I plan to be in a motor home and won't need a room. And some of you live close enough that you won't need a room. Okay, never mind. LOL! :rolleyes:

Sharazoid
09-20-2011, 08:19 AM
I am thrilled at how this is coming together. I would love to be there, but am not voting, as the likelihood of my being able to afford the time & airfare is fairly slim. I am dreaming of it working out somehow. I would so love to meet all of you & hang out again with those of you that I have met already. Keep it going!

JanisElain
09-21-2011, 09:40 PM
I'd be more than happy to pay a reasonable portion of the conference room fee.

We could reserve the room for Saturday only (or for two of the three days) and make the third day a "social" day to cut costs.

The weekends on the poll would work equally well for me, so I voted but voted for all 3.

shayNOLA
09-22-2011, 07:26 AM
I'd be more than happy to pay a reasonable portion of the conference room fee.

We could reserve the room for Saturday only (or for two of the three days) and make the third day a "social" day to cut costs.

The weekends on the poll would work equally well for me, so I voted but voted for all 3.

Janni, that sounds like a great alternative. Maybe if we get all our socializing out of the way, we might just do some art!! :)

HotMamaRama
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
That is a possibility Janni. I do want to make sure we have a room to do art for at least two days. I bet we can split it up too. Like have the room Friday late afternoon, and early Sunday as one day, and Saturday as a full day.

nanner
09-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Good points, girls. Some of the field trips you have been mentioning sound fantastic.

DRAGONSTARR
09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I have to check the schedule at work for these weekends...I'm hoping that one of them is a day where the Doc is at Seaside on Friday...that way, I wouldn't be needed for clinic and could get the day off. I will know tomorrow 9-23.

I would be more than happy to help with the meeting room fee! :)

And......miss roomie ;D (you know who you are) maybe we could share again?

big toe studio
09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
all of the weekends are open for me as of now, so no vote here
I live close enough so no room needed.

I can contribute to the room fee, too

I can put up 2 gals, if they are willing to share a double bed.

I am soooo looking forward to this gathering

aznfg
09-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Big Toe Studio just PM'd me about this. I would like to attend. I would be coming from my house and don't need a room. But I would be willing to pay an admission fee to defray costs. I belong to a small live group. Our leader might be a good person to lead a class. A paper store in Mesa, Mystic Paper sponsors swaps. I do think other ATC/paper crafters from the area may be willing to come if they get notice.
My best dates are in January. I will likely have a family commitment in February.

big toe studio
09-23-2011, 02:33 AM
good thought, AZNFG
I am taking an encaustic/beeswax class at Mystic Paper. Ill bet the teachers would do a workshop, if there is some interest.
my next class is Wed. the 28th.
Trina, Do you want me to approach the owner about posting info for the gathering??

Aznfg: is your live group open to new members?

HotMamaRama
09-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Aznfg - I'll add you to the interested list. Where in AZ are you?
Maybe some folks from your group would like to join us too.
I haven't thought about offering classes/workshops yet, (wanted to get dates and location locked in first) but I know that down at Mystic Paper, they have been offering a lot of classes by Jack & Cat Curio. And I've been aching to do the album cover tote every since I spotted it in the store a couple of weeks ago! :)

At the OLG (Oregon Live Gathering) we've just been doing little technique demo's within our group, but if there is an interest for it, I will gladly look into having guest presenters come in for one of the days.

BigToeStudio - hold off on the recruiting more people at Mystic Paper for now. Until I have our room space locked in, I don't know what our room capacity will be, and I want to make sure that we have enough space for our AFA Family first. But I like the way you think, and I know there are ATC traders that frequent Mystic Paper.

I'm going to make some more calls today at some other locations to compare prices, and I'm going to stop by Country Inn & Suites to go look at the space today and make sure it is big enough. I was just by there again yesterday (picking up dinner at Chipotle -YUM), and there really is a plethora of restaurants in that area for everyone to have lots of dining options.

lilbad
09-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Hottie....u don't mind if I call you that, do u??? Thanks for all the hard work on this.

Theresagram
09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
good thought, AZNFG
I am taking an encaustic/beeswax class at Mystic Paper. Ill bet the teachers would do a workshop, if there is some interest.
my next class is Wed. the 28th.
Trina, Do you want me to approach the owner about posting info for the gathering??

Sherrie, I went to high school with Jen...the owner of Mystic Paper. I know she charges $50-$75 for a lot of her classes. Once Trina gets the hotel pinned down we can see what kind of space we have. :)

wildholly
09-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I love your new Av, but what does it say?

Theresagram
09-23-2011, 03:03 PM
The zombie is saying, "Wait, I just wanna talk". It's in my gallery if you want a closer look. :)

jazzie
09-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I am holding off on voting until needed for a swing vote - I can be bought - just sayin' ;);)

[Theoretically if I were voting just for myself, I would go for February as it would allow me more time to go through the sofa cushions...]

HotMamaRama
09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Hottie....u don't mind if I call you that, do u??? Thanks for all the hard work on this.

You may call me what ever you want to sweetness!! ;) ;) But Hey, I would be delighted to be called Hottie by anyone now a days!!! :D :D :jiggy: :jiggy:

HotMamaRama
09-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Okay gang - I have been out scavenging hotels and conference places since 8 this morning, and after seeing like 6 different places, I am coming back to my first choice location. They have the best art room space for the best price.

The room has windows all along one side (that faces the pool area) and has doors leading to outside right from the conference rooms. :) Great for natural lighting in addition to the good lighting inside.

Over 12 restaurants within walking distance (And when I say "within walking distance" I mean like in the same giant parking lot) in addition to tons more within blocks from the facility. They have a shuttle that will also take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius from the hotel.

There are oodles of RV lots/resorts within a 5 mile radius of the hotel.

Free continental breakfast for those staying in the hotel in addition to Evening snacks.

Heated swimming pool and hottub that can be used anytime of day or night (as long as it's not disturbing other guests)

We CAN bring in our own snacks and most importantly WINE!!!! (The ONLY place that I have found that will let us do that!! WTF?? Hello!!!)

$200.00 per day for the art room and we can spilt Fri. and Sun. to count as one day. SO $400.00 total for the art room. And remember, if some how we book at least 20 rooms, the art room is FREE!!! But even if we don't get the art room for free, if we all pitch in a little, then that more than covers the cost of the space.

SOOOOOOO ---- The new question is: What weekend????
The weekend of January 20-22 has something now booked on that Saturday, but the sales manager is trying to see if they are willing to change that.

In addition to the dates above, Include the second weekend in January, which is Friday January 13 - January Sunday 15th. PLEASE EVERYONE VOTE!!!! regardless of whether you are staying at the hotel or not!! I just want to see which weekend will work best for the majority. They are holding the dates for me until Monday morning, so please vote by then. Otherwise I am just going to pick a date and we'll go from there.

I've also asked that she block out 15 rooms for our group. So as soon as we have the space locked in, then you can start booking your rooms. I'll share that information when the time comes.

Alright People!!!! Let's get this party started!!!!!
Remember to Vote for what dates work best for you - regardless of whether you are staying at the hotel. :D Thank you :D

HotMamaRama
09-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh - also, does anyone have any better ideas for a name for our gathering other than Arizona Arty Party!?!? I haven't thought of anything more clever so far. :wub:

HotMamaRama
09-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Okay - one last thing. Does anyone know how I can add another date to the poll, or make changes to it????? :( I can't figure out how to do that!

nanner
09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Hottie Trina Tottie! I think you may need a mod's help to change the poll at this point.

Will think on the new Arizona Art Gathering name. Something about the AriZONErs, art ZONE...thinking...thinking...

Your new tagline makes my head hurt. :dull:

Theresagram
09-23-2011, 09:45 PM
If it's in Feb we could call it the February Art Retreat (by) Trina. FART Bahahahahaha :twitcy:

wildholly
09-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm going to vote now.

Thinking of name....:idea:

"Explor-Artorium"

Sharazoid
09-24-2011, 08:29 AM
How about ARTzona? The hotel sounds very doable. Thanks for all of your research so far Trina. I know that this will be a great gathering.

wildholly
09-24-2011, 12:45 PM
I love that one...Artzona!

RobbyGirl
09-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Hee I like ArtZona!

lilbad
09-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, FART or ARTzona....two good ideas! One would have to say, "I'm going to FART" or" I'm going to Artzona.." What a predicament!

Theresagram
09-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Then of course, there's February Artzona or Fartzona. :twitcy:

Theresagram
09-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Personally I like ArtZona!! :D

JoyFlower
09-24-2011, 05:59 PM
:laugh: ya bunch a sillies! :laugh:

ARTzona! would be my pick - clever thought Shara!

HHC
09-24-2011, 09:08 PM
:laugh:

lilbad
09-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Won't FART get it's feeling hurt?

nanner
09-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Hahaha! Baaaad, you're so gooood! We can be Artzona to the public, but Fartzona in the inner circle! :D Best of both worlds!

aznfg
09-25-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm in Scottsdale and it's pretty easy for me to get to the East Valley. I do belong to a live group that meets on the third Saturday of the month at Tempe Marketplace. If anyone is interested in coming, send me a pm. We don't have a problem with new members but we are in a bit of a hiatus right now. But pm or email if you are interested in coming and I will fill you in. If you show up with ATCs, you can trade. Live trading is a lot of fun.

By the way, I just mentioned Mystic a little out of the blue. But there are a lot of paper crafters and scrapbookers in the east valley. I like to think that the attendees can help provide instruction. I'm not sure we should be paying for teachers. I do think there are people who will be willing to come in and do something.

Theresagram
09-25-2011, 12:17 PM
That's a good point aznfg... People will already be spending money to get here and some to stay here. We should maybe try to keep demonstrations within the group so no one has to pay more.

That said, maybe we should all start posting things we'd love to learn about and things we could teach!

wildholly
09-25-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I am going to FARTZONA fer sure!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

big toe studio
09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
this should be a hilarious time. I am lol-ing just reading the thread

HotMamaRama
09-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Okay it's Official!!! ARTzona is locked in for

On the first page of the thread, I've included a link to the hotel, room rates, and phone number for the hotel to make reservations.

theweavershand
09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
ooo...so many of my favorite people! if a miracle happens, i would so be there. pray for miracles!

wildholly
09-26-2011, 11:37 PM
YAY! GREAT NEWS!!!!!

HotMamaRama
09-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Amy - miracles DO happen, so I'm believing that you will be able to come! I'm adding you to the list just because I'm that confident! :)

lilbad
09-27-2011, 07:31 PM
That works so well for us! Woot!

HHC
09-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Oh, oh! Must start checking things in earnest now!

Thanks for all your work on this, Trina! :D

JanisElain
09-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Yeah! I just marked it on my calendar. I have a trip planned the previous weekend, and my birthday is the following weekend, so January will be a fun month!

JanisElain
09-28-2011, 03:21 AM
Trina - for those folks who are flying in, do we fly to Phoenix or is there something closer/cheaper?

HotMamaRama
09-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Janni - There is the Phoenix/Mesa Gateway Airport (http://www.phxmesagateway.org/) just a few miles from my house. They are a smaller airport and Allegiant Air (http://www.allegiantair.com/AllegiantPhoenixMesaDestinations.php) flies through there. They fly to and from smaller locations but I also think they are cheaper for many flights if you are lucky enough to have them fly near you.

Otherwise the next best airport to fly to would be Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (http://skyharbor.com/). Real easy to get to and from, and the Super Shuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com/en/PHXAirportShuttlePhoenix.html) can pick you up and take you to the airport to and from the hotel for around $7.00.

I'd be happy to come get people at the airport as well, as long I can fit it into my schedule with the kids school stuff.

RobbyGirl
09-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Okay it's Official!!! ARTzona is locked in for

On the first page of the thread, I've included a link to the hotel, room rates, and phone number for the hotel to make reservations.

Holy Moley! I'm so excited! All the fun with none of the hosting duties...Woot!

lilbad
09-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Robby, didn't Hottie tell you that you are in charge of this one, TOO!!

RobbyGirl
09-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Robby, didn't Hottie tell you that you are in charge of this one, TOO!!

LMAO! Did I say I was coming...I think I'm busy that weekend, have to get my nails done or something :swoon:

lilbad
09-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Oh no.....!

HotMamaRama
09-29-2011, 12:57 PM
First of all - Robin HAS TO COME!!! How else am I going to be able to spoil her and dote on her like she does for all of us at OLG!?!?!
Robin my dear - I promise not to put you to work. You only have to sit pretty, make art, and socialize to your hearts content. If you need anything... I will make sure some cute cabana boys will be on hand to take care of all of your needs. :) :wubclub:

ALSO - Did I mention that when my family had to stay at this hotel for 3 weeks this Spring (We were waiting to move into the new house) that a FLEET OF AIRFORCE HOTTIES were also staying at the hotel at the same time!?!?! I may be an old married mama, but this chicka was very much enjoying the view!!! ;) Apparently, they do a lot of training in the area and that is the hotel where they stay regularly. So all you single ladies.... might want to make a note of that. I'm not promising that they will be there, but it is quite possible. :)

JanisElain
09-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I agree! Robin HAS to come!!! (And she gets to sit back and relax this time -- and do art!)

Trina - I checked airline prices through Allegiant Air and they're super affordable (about $100 each way). Cool!

I'll discuss it with my travelling companion and see what we can work out. It would involve him taking a couple of days off of work, so not sure if we can make it work. But it sure would be fun!

lilbad
09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
JE...Allegiant has a lot of hidden prices, so read the fine print. We are flying with them to LV on the 17th so will let you know how it goes.

Clofiti
09-30-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd love to join in the fun!

HotMamaRama
09-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Janni - I was wondering if your traveling companion would be interested in joining us. :) I do so hope you can work your magic with him to convince him to come. :)

Also, I haven't flown with Allegant before so I couldn't tell you about extra fees. I do know, that when I flew SW to PDX this summer, it was the best flying experience I've had in a very long time. Air fair was reasonable, no extra charges for bags, friendly and helping agents and smooth travels. They will be my first choice for any future travels I have.

Clofiti - We'd love to have you join us! There are other S. Cali. ladies interested in coming too, maybe a carpool/road trip? I'll add you to the interested list now.

HotMamaRama
09-30-2011, 09:41 AM
:laugh:

I'm definitely interested in this! How did I not see this before?! Definitely down for a road trip with anyone from so*cal/vegas to my favorite state!

I almost missed your post amongst the chatter. Adding you to the interested list now. And we certainly have enough So. Cali. Girls for a road trip.

wildholly
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Beware of Allegiant air...they do add fees before you know it your cheap flight is not so cheap.

RobbyGirl
10-01-2011, 12:23 AM
First of all - Robin HAS TO COME!!! How else am I going to be able to spoil her and dote on her like she does for all of us at OLG!?!?!
Robin my dear - I promise not to put you to work. You only have to sit pretty, make art, and socialize to your hearts content. If you need anything... I will make sure some cute cabana boys will be on hand to take care of all of your needs. :) :wubclub:

ALSO - Did I mention that when my family had to stay at this hotel for 3 weeks this Spring (We were waiting to move into the new house) that a FLEET OF AIRFORCE HOTTIES were also staying at the hotel at the same time!?!?! I may be an old married mama, but this chicka was very much enjoying the view!!! ;) Apparently, they do a lot of training in the area and that is the hotel where they stay regularly. So all you single ladies.... might want to make a note of that. I'm not promising that they will be there, but it is quite possible. :)

LOL of course I will be doing everything within my power to come and truth is I like to to play hostess so I'm always willing to lend a hand especially for you Ms. hot-tea! Plus I wouldn't miss out on meeting all those other Arizona babes, Theresa and JenZ and if Nanners is coming I'm planning on kidnapping her and keeping her...so there!

Helene
10-01-2011, 03:07 AM
Heated pool? oh yeah! Love heated pools!

jazzie
10-01-2011, 10:53 AM
and if Nanners is coming I'm planning on kidnapping her and keeping her...so there!

Oh no! How will I get home? :~o

Helene
10-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Hey Pochadiva and Clofiti,
If NuttyNanner and Jazzie can drive there...we certainly can too! What are we? fuddy duddies???

Theresagram
10-01-2011, 02:24 PM
I am SO excited I'll be getting to meet so many of you!!!!!!!!! :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

JanisElain
10-02-2011, 03:02 AM
Lilbad and Holly - thanks for the heads up about Allegiant's hidden fees. Lilbad, definitely let me know how it goes for you. I haven't made reservations yet, but would love, love, love to go!

Trina - Rod and I have two trips planned that month (one is the weekend before) and both will involve a couple of days off of work for Rod. Not sure whether we'll be able to do both trips, but I'm sure going to try to twist his arm (gently of course!) to see if we can make it work. :D

lilbad
10-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Here's hoping you can make it. What I will probably do is drive from Lake Havasu to Mesa with dh. He can find something to do while we are there....he never sits still so that's not an issue. Will we need to chip in on anything....? Let me know if I can help.

Pochadiva
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Hey Pochadiva and Clofiti,
If NuttyNanner and Jazzie can drive there...we certainly can too! What are we? fuddy duddies???

Three makes it a little more cost effective too! I'm ready to go with the flow where ever it takes us!

nancyjb
10-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I am interested in going too, but can't commit quite yet. Then on too Portland - what a year!

lilbad
10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Nancy....u be there ya hear!

HotMamaRama
10-04-2011, 09:43 AM
We'd love to have you join us Nancy. The more the merrier as they say.

Helene
10-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Nancy! come on! (just a little prodding...if we drive are you on board?)

jensaz
10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Oh I can't wait to meet all of you folks!!

shayNOLA
10-04-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm excited... yea, excited... doing my happy dance... yeah! Get to see some of my peeps from OLG and meet for the first time, some of my favorite artists from SoCal!! So excited, in fact, that I've already started looking at flights and shuttle services, etc.
There are three direct flts out of Baltimore to Phoenix on Friday, Jan 20th. One happens to be at 7:35AM and arrives Phoenix at 11AM. Sweet! I'm guessing there is a shuttle I can take from the airport and get to the hotel a little after noon. When it gets closer, I would love to try and coordinate with anyone flying into Phoenix and needs transportation to the hotel.
Also, on the topic of ROOMIES, I'll need one... or some! I'm not opposed to sharing a queen bed with anyone, too. Trina and I did at OLG and it was totally comfy! Funny thing, Trina is known to my family as "the woman I slept with". And worse still, I met her online... "stranger danger"! :)
So, as you can see, I'm bubbling with excitement and anticipation! It's only 3 1/2 months away and the holidays will make it fly by! Speaking of holidays, I'll need to get started on goodie bags and stuff for trade pretty soon. I guarantee I'll not get anything done in the month of December. :)

RedHeartStudio
10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm excited... yea, excited... doing my happy dance... yeah! Get to see some of my peeps from OLG and meet for the first time, some of my favorite artists from SoCal!! So excited, in fact, that I've already started looking at flights and shuttle services, etc.
There are three direct flts out of Baltimore to Phoenix on Friday, Jan 20th. One happens to be at 7:35AM and arrives Phoenix at 11AM. Sweet! I'm guessing there is a shuttle I can take from the airport and get to the hotel a little after noon. When it gets closer, I would love to try and coordinate with anyone flying into Phoenix and needs transportation to the hotel.
Also, on the topic of ROOMIES, I'll need one... or some! I'm not opposed to sharing a queen bed with anyone, too. Trina and I did at OLG and it was totally comfy! Funny thing, Trina is known to my family as "the woman I slept with". And worse still, I met her online... "stranger danger"! :)
So, as you can see, I'm bubbling with excitement and anticipation! It's only 3 1/2 months away and the holidays will make it fly by! Speaking of holidays, I'll need to get started on goodie bags and stuff for trade pretty soon. I guarantee I'll not get anything done in the month of December. :)

ME ME ME!!!!! OH OH OH PICK MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I wanna be your roomie!!! :)

jensaz
10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
So, those of you who have been to an art event like this.... What do we bring? I see stuff about trade items, which I get... What is the goody bag thing about???

I loves me some goodies and I loves to give em out... Hope that's what's being discussed

shayNOLA
10-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Beth, I TOTALLY want you as a roomie!! :) Whoo Hoo!! :jiggy:

Jensaz, I've only been to one Live Trade meeting but it seems everyone brings things to trade (ATCs, Chunkies, Inchies, etc). Since this is for three days, you'll most likely want to bring your fav art supplies in case you decide to work on some art.
Goodie Bags are definitely not required. It's sort of like the little 'extras' people give you when trading. They are little bags of artsy tidbits like clip art for collage, ephemera, backgrounds, blank ATCs, etc. that one would make for all attendees.

HotMamaRama
10-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Sorry I've been so quiet here the last couple of days. Life has had me a little busy and distracted lately. (I hate it when that happens) ha

Any who, I'm totally thrilled that folks are starting to plan their trip! I can't wait to see everyone and squeeze you all! :D

As soon as you know if you are definitely coming, could you please let me know so I can get an accurate head count. Also, please note if you are staying at the hotel or not. So I'll know if we need to get more/less rooms.

After I have an accurate head count of our AFA Group, I want to open it up to some other AZ artists like those mentioned before, and possibly spread the word at Mystic Paper. However, If we get enough AFA people coming, then I won't extend the invite by much. I want to be sure we have enough space for all of us.

Shay - If you want, I will have a little time today to Skype. Sorry I couldn't last week. Life took over.

As far as goodie bags, we can totally do them, but as Shay said so well they are not required. Just a fun thing to do. The goodie bags I've seen have had everything from blank ATCS, inchies, scrap papers, handmade papers, scrabble tiles, stickers, CDs for altering, other items for altering, gel pens, art supplies of some sort, and even candy treats!

I'll also have a back table where everyone can put their take some, leave some goodies.
So feel free to bring stuff you don't really use in art, and I'm sure someone at the group will find a good home for them. I for one can vouch that BigToeStudio has a wicked cool stash she shared the last time we got together! ;)

And of course, bring art to trade!! It helps to mention in the thread what you are making to bring, such as ATCs, chunky's, inchies, etc. That way those who will want to trade such items will be sure to have some of the same for trade.

Also, at the last OLG (Oregon Live Gathering) several people participated in a Wacky gift exchange. I've heard them called Chinese Auctions I think. It's where you bring a wrapped gift, (art supplies, a piece of art you made, a combination of both, etc.) and the first person unwraps the gift. The next person can either steal the first gift, or open a new one. You get the idea. Anyway, is there any interest from the group to do this at our gathering? I'm open to the idea.

shayNOLA
10-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Hey BusyMamaRama :wubclub:, I'm all for the gift exchange. It was loads of fun at OLG!
I think I'll make some new Artist Signature Cards, too. I really enjoy collecting them from other artists... and they're fun to do!
Oh, and in case you're not sure (haha), I'm a definite for attending! ;)

lilbad
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I managed to lose my stash of sig. cards in Dallas...but will get some more printed up. I think there is a basic tool kit listed in the Portland AFA thread.

Theresagram
10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey BusyMamaRama :wubclub:, I'm all for the gift exchange. It was loads of fun at OLG!
I think I'll make some new Artist Signature Cards, too. I really enjoy collecting them from other artists... and they're fun to do!

I managed to lose my stash of sig. cards in Dallas...but will get some more printed up. I think there is a basic tool kit listed in the Portland AFA thread.

I want to hear more about these signiture cards!!! :D

HotMamaRama
10-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh yeah - signature cards! I'll bring those too! I still have some left over from OLG. I'll bring those and maybe even make up a few new ones just for fun.

Theresa - Next time we get together I'll show you one of mine. Basically they are an ATC that you have designed a "Self Portrait" on the front and give stats on the back (similar to baseball player trading cards). But the stats are more like: Favorite Medium(s) to work in, favorite quote, character traits that best describe you, Your strengths/weaknesses, fun facts like something no one knows about you yet! Then you make copies of your card and exchange them at the event for other signature cards.

Anyone have any other examples that would be good for adding to the back of your signature card?

HotMamaRama
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM

HA HA BusyMama is right!!! I've got family coming next week, so I'm trying to get the house cleaned and in order a bit more before people start arriving.
And I am SOOO glad you are a definate for coming !!!! :jiggy:

lilbad
10-05-2011, 09:09 PM
The signature cards can be mass printed...do not have to each be original.

big toe studio
10-07-2011, 12:22 AM
WOW
this is turning into quite a gig, cant wait

putting it on the calendar made it more real. WooHoo

what are signature cards printed on? and how do you ensure the backs lineup on a 2 sided copy

HotMamaRama
10-07-2011, 09:08 AM
I know some people who made up their design for the front and back of their signature card then took them to a copy place like Kinkos and had them do them. They are the same size as an ATC. 2.5" X 3.5".

I printed copies at home of the front and back then Glued them to a piece of heavy card stock and recycled cardboard. Like from a cereal box.

jensaz
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Signature cards, trades, goodie bags, extra stuff and a gift for the exchange.... Since I'll definately be there, I'd better get to work!!!!

PS, I'll be making inchies, chunkies, ATC's and possibly some jewelry items if anyone is interested.

wildholly
10-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I love the gift exchange Idea....this time I'll be well prepared..

lilbad
10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
So is this a white elephant exchange or an art supply exchange?

shayNOLA
10-07-2011, 04:17 PM
For my gift exchange I did a small piece of canvas art and included a few art supplies like blank inchies and ATCs, ATC display holder and a white pigment pen. I received a beautiful 8x10 canvas collage as my gift. It really is whatever you would like to give or receive yourself. :)

Theresagram
10-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Does anyone have any of their signiture cards to show? :D

Pixeldog
10-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Did I ever mention my signature card? LOL

Theresa...the cover of my signature card is in my gallery if you're curious but I kind of went a different route from a lot of the other artists at OLG, doing mine in photoshop. I'd check the OLG thread for starter information as to what to put on the back of your signature card.

BTW: There's some time opening up in my department at work in January which may allow me to spring to Arizona. Hopefully it will work out and I'll get some extra time off.

RobbyGirl
10-13-2011, 01:46 PM
For my gift exchange I did a small piece of canvas art and included a few art supplies like blank inchies and ATCs, ATC display holder and a white pigment pen. I received a beautiful 8x10 canvas collage as my gift. It really is whatever you would like to give or receive yourself. :)

I was the recipient of this awesome box of goodies and I am still thrilled with it's contents! I loved the "mean" gift exchange and would definitely like to it!:yes:

wildholly
10-13-2011, 02:13 PM
RE: The Gift exchange in Hood River
What I didn't expect were gifts that were handpainted works of art. I only thought it was for art supplies, so I felt that I could have done more had I known there were going to be "works of art" exchanged. I intend to handpaint a canvas this next time OR something handpainted.
Maybe it would be nice if we had more specific guidelines.
Like HD/HP, collaged artwork etc...all handmades.

After all, there are plenty of supplies as freebies usually on another table anyway .

Theresagram
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Did I ever mention my signature card? LOL

Theresa...the cover of my signature card is in my gallery if you're curious but I kind of went a different route from a lot of the other artists at OLG, doing mine in photoshop. I'd check the OLG thread for starter information as to what to put on the back of your signature card.

BTW: There's some time opening up in my department at work in January which may allow me to spring to Arizona. Hopefully it will work out and I'll get some extra time off.

I saw your signature card, PD. It's awesome!!

I think you should tell them at work you MUST have time off! You really should be here too!

HotMamaRama
10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Hope you get to come PD! I'm looking in my crystal ball.... and I see you in warm sunshine.... In January..... Drinking pina colada's and getting caught in the rain. Oh wait, that was someone else. lol :D But I truly hope the work schedule allows for your visit with us.

I went for a really nice hike today up in Usery Park. Its like 15 Minutes from where the hotel is. Great scenic Arizona desert views. Easy hikes and great views. I think it would easily fit into our schedule if we wanted to hike at the park first, then head over to Goldfield Ghost town afterward. Ghats what we did today and we were only gone around 4 hours total.

Would anyone have any interest in going for a scenic little hike while here?

shayNOLA
10-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Sounds like a perfect four hours, Trina. Count me in! :)

wildholly
10-13-2011, 11:10 PM
me too!:D

mtpaperplayer
10-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey folks!! I think my dear hubby and I would love to come!! Please count me in as a for sure. I still will need to check airfare rates from Austin. If we fly into Phoenix, is there a shuttle to the hotel, or is it very far? Any info y'all could lend, would be appreciated!!:D Marilyn (mtpaperplayer)

HotMamaRama
10-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi Marilyn! So glad you found us and are coming!!!! Yes, there is a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I posted some links in the thread, but I will add it to the first page so it is easier to find. The airport is only about a 20 minute drive from the Hotel. Adding you and the hubster to the list! :jiggy:

Has anyone else booked hotel rooms yet??? Just curious.

HotMamaRama
10-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Okay everyone - I've updated the first page with airport and shuttle links too. :)

jensaz
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
OMG so happy MT's coming! WOO HOO!

shayNOLA
10-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Didn't book anything yet, Trina, but I'm aiming for this week. I'll give you a heads-up. Btw, feel like skyping Monday or Tuesday?

HotMamaRama
10-16-2011, 09:59 PM
WOULD LOVE TO!!!! I'll be free tomorrow most all day. I've had family visitors here all week, so I am totally going to veggggggg out tomorrow and try to sneak in some art. I'll log on as soon as I get back from dropping the kids off at school. They have been off all week for Fall Break. We had tons of fun, but I am ready for them to go back to school and for me to have the house to myself for a couple of days! :D

Theresagram
10-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Oooh, if you skype Tuesday I could be there!! :yes:

HotMamaRama
10-16-2011, 10:36 PM
We can do that too! Good idea Theresa!

jensaz
10-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Wish I could Skype.....

DebbaPeot
10-18-2011, 03:11 PM
OMG! I gotta set up Skype! I'm just missing out on too much!! LOL

rapa
10-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Did someone say wine??? I'm all up for meeting all you ATC artists and having fun!

Theresagram
10-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Oh....there WILL be wine!!! :D

jensaz
10-18-2011, 06:45 PM
wine and whine.... :goofy:

toni
10-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Wow! Just saw this and may be attending. My sisters live in East Mesa. I grew up in Mesa. How did I miss this?

Helene
10-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Yeah! really! How did you? I even found it and I don't know what I'm doing! hee hee :D... I hope we get to meet all these people on page 1!!!

lilbad
10-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Toni, hope you can make it...I'll be there!

HotMamaRama
10-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Rapa & Toni sure hope you can join us! Just let me know when you are ready for me to add you to our "For sure" list! We're already nearing the end of October and January will be here before we know it! I can't wait to see everyone!!!! :jiggy:

Pochadiva
10-23-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm throwing my mother who is a new member into the ring. She goes by kayart. We are really looking forward to it!

Helene
10-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm throwing my mother who is a new member into the ring. She goes by kayart. We are really looking forward to it!
Good think we're not taking the train for this one!!!!

HotMamaRama
10-24-2011, 05:23 PM
LOL Helene. Yes please Bonnie, don't throw mama from the train!!! :D :D We want her limbs in tact so she can make art!!!

So Bonnie should I change your status to red on the first page as "For Sure" coming? I adding Kayart to the list too.

Theresagram
10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
RobbyGirl, you better change your status to coming for sure or we're going to have to come up there and spank you!! :twitcy:

jensaz
10-25-2011, 12:20 AM
RobbyGirl, you better change your status to coming for sure or we're going to have to come up there and spank you!! :twitcy:

T -she may like that too much, maybe tell her that IF she comes down, she will get a spankin' :biglaugh:

shayNOLA
10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
LOL... jansaz, I think you might be right about RobbyGirl! :D
Hey, who is interested in going to the western town on Sunday? Any plans for dressing up... such as a feather boa, corset, etc? I'm thinking Steampunk might even fit the occasion. I'm soooo wanting to do a dress-up in that style... maybe our next OLG, or AFA 2012? I'd totally do it for Halloween but tradition here is that DH and I go as a mutual theme and I just haven't been able to talk him into Steampunk, yet. Maybe next year, though. I showed him a pic of Gary Oldman as Dracula (you know, the one of him in a top hat and circle glasses) and he didn't seem tooo set against it. We'll see...
Anyone else dressing up for Halloween?

Pochadiva
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
LOL Helene. Yes please Bonnie, don't throw mama from the train!!! :D :D We want her limbs in tact so she can make art!!!

So Bonnie should I change your status to red on the first page as "For Sure" coming? I adding Kayart to the list too.

HotMamaRama......we are turning red! And....my Mom (kayart) is a CA girl too since you are indicating states of origin.

Theresagram
10-25-2011, 11:51 AM
T -she may like that too much, maybe tell her that IF she comes down, she will get a spankin' :biglaugh:

Teehee. I know! :D

Theresagram
10-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Hey, who is interested in going to the western town on Sunday? Any plans for dressing up... such as a feather boa, corset, etc? I'm thinking Steampunk might even fit the occasion. I'm soooo wanting to do a dress-up in that style... maybe our next OLG, or AFA 2012? I'd totally do it for Halloween but tradition here is that DH and I go as a mutual theme and I just haven't been able to talk him into Steampunk, yet. Maybe next year, though. I showed him a pic of Gary Oldman as Dracula (you know, the one of him in a top hat and circle glasses) and he didn't seem tooo set against it. We'll see...

Goldfield is so much fun!! Hubby & I go quite a lot. While we're there we'll have to go to Mudslinger's!! It's my favorite pottery place! You'll all need your cameras! Beautiful mountain scenery to take pics of!

HotMamaRama
10-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Bonnie I will turn you red and mark mom for a Cali girl! ;)

Shay - I may partially dress up for Halloween. depends on how embarassed my kids will be if I do. ha ha

Goldfield is a fun little stop. Also, if anyone is interested... I did the little hike up at Usery Park which is just about 10 minutes from Goldfield. If you go to the top of the hill, you can get great pictures of the valley and lots of cool cactus and living desert scenery. We can do the hike, then do Goldfield.

Also, if anyone likes antiques or funky little retro stores, I went to several this past week in East Phoenix on 7th Ave between Indian School Road and Camelback. Most had lots of cool stuff and reasonable prices. That is always an option too for an afternoon break on one of the days.

wildholly
10-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Yes to all of it--the funky stores, mudslingers etc.....
Shay--I am all for the steampunk goggles n boots look too.

HotMamaRama
10-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Well you won't be a newcomer after ARTzona Kayart!!! Be warned though, these events tend to be tons of fun, lots of laughter, lots of art and art trading, and lots of new BFF's!! :)

RobbyGirl
10-28-2011, 09:41 PM

LOL the girl speaks the truth! You all know wayyyy too much...a girl has no secrets around here!

RobbyGirl
10-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Yes, we are, Little DEAD Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf!

RobbyGirl
10-28-2011, 09:44 PM

Trying to swing the ticket, no frequent flyers left :cry: Hopefully my Etsy shop will be good to me over Christmas!

lilbad
10-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Ok, ya all...met Joyflower and Rogue Gal yesterday.....need to give them a push to get to Mesa!

HotMamaRama
10-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh a little jealous!!! Bet you ladies had a grand time. So did you put a fire under their behinds???? If you have to use brute force and drag them I'm fine with that. ;) LOL

JoyFlower
10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Loved getting to see lilbad and Rogue Gal this weekend! :jiggy:

...I need to look at flight costs and time off from work... but of course it would be great to see everyone!
Time with art friends is always fun and recharges the creative batteries!

lilbad
10-31-2011, 07:47 PM
What she said......does that mean we will see you!!

HotMamaRama
11-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I totally need my creative batteries recharged!!! And what better way then to do so hanging with the coolest bunch of artists in warm and sunny ARIZONA!?!?!?! I can't wait to see everyone. I do so hope you can swing it and fit us in your schedule Joyflower!!!!

Theresagram
11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Do we have a head count yet?

Helene
11-07-2011, 10:20 PM
I believe you can put Rapa and Helene in RED and room sharing...for now...

HotMamaRama
11-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Not an official head count yet. People I know for sure that are coming are marked in red on the first page of the thread.

I sure hope we get more for sure people. :)

HotMamaRama
11-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I believe you can put Rapa and Helene in RED and room sharing...for now...

Yay!!! Can't wait to meet you two! :yes:

nancyjb
11-07-2011, 11:21 PM
I just emailed Helene and told her I am coming along so you can put me in red also!

Theresagram
11-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Yay!!!!! More peeps coming!!!! Woohoo!!!

Pixeldog
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I just emailed Helene and told her I am coming along so you can put me in red also!

At least you are on the list in some color....HotMama won't even write my name down. Hmmm....maybe I'm in white.

nancyjb
11-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Maybe it goes without saying, Pixeldog. (It's assumed you will be there?!)

Theresagram
11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
At least you are on the list in some color....HotMama won't even write my name down. Hmmm....maybe I'm in white.

I can spank her and make her put your name on the list. :biglaugh: