PDA

View Full Version : Chunky-A-Thon, anyone?

mrubyjean
10-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Would anyone be interested in playing if I host a Chunky-page-a-thon soon?
Can't do it for month or so...was thinking of after the Postage-stamp-a-thon (Nov 11-14),
maybe late Nov-early Dec or early January.

I'll add a poll for dates.

Theresagram
10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Oh, oh, oh, ME!

craftyvox
10-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Me me me me!! :)

All dates should be possible for me, though November or January work best. In January I'll be ALL done with university and be able to enjoy a couple of weeks of freedom woot!

sniisk
10-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I sure am interested in playing! Most of my weekends in November, December and January should be free. I shouldn't have to travel much anymore.

KESagers
10-05-2011, 01:30 PM
January is always a great time for me since the holidays are over but I think could jump in at least a little on any of them. :)

Ibus
10-05-2011, 04:12 PM
January gives me a chance to collect charms and things together...

Fantasia
10-05-2011, 04:53 PM
THe first weekend dates in January that you listed would work for me. I would LOVE to play in a Chunky-a-thon!! :D

CynthiaSillitoe
10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I voted for the December dates, but could make any of these work. I definitely want to play. I've got some big pieces of cardboard that I've been saving for chunkies.

Jewels
10-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I'd love to play.

HHC
10-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm pretty much open any of the weekends, as far as I know right now. :)

Hazartist1
10-05-2011, 08:42 PM
I think I'll play....I'm getting a new knee November 2 and after that I'll be looking for stuff to do, besides physical therapy.

lilbad
10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
We are gone Jan and Feb and would not have a scanner.

Cat's Cradle
10-05-2011, 10:39 PM
January works best here....I expect to be in and out of the doctor's quite a bit with the 9 y/o during November. And December is always hectic for us....

Just Ducky
10-05-2011, 10:59 PM
got no plans for any of your dates Martha... so will just go with the flo... but favor Jan.
and I really need to work some chunky... love them, just getting started is tough so a marathon should give me great get up and go power...
and as Ibus stated... give me some time to find some jewels and stuff...

Cathy1
10-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Anytime suits me althugh I favour January.

Donnacr
10-06-2011, 06:56 AM
The first or last dates would suit me best as my married daughter is in the state (for the first time since her wedding in May) at the start of December and my husband is on holidays at the start of January (he goes back to work on January 9th).
I would still try to play on any of the dates though :D

sharlene54
10-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I would play. Any of those dates would be fine for me.

Rogue Gal
10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I will try to play on any of the dates you choose! :jiggy:

Blanche
10-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I have been wanting to try chunkies but never seem to be able to find time for them - I've been somewhat of a swap addict! Lol!
Dec and Jan dates would work for me, even though I voted for Dec.
I have a boat load of beads, so if anyone needs any for this, just send me a pm with color, size, type and I will be happy to work out a trade.

lafaver55
10-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Nov or Jan sound great.

Nancy
10-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I would love to play...I prefer January.....I hate the long lines at the post office in December, but will join in on any date you select!

Rogue Gal
10-07-2011, 10:28 PM
How about one in November and another in January? Or am I just being greedy? :D

mrubyjean
10-08-2011, 03:06 AM
No, not greedy at all, Rogue Gal...I was just thinking along those lines myself actually!

I don't think it would be too much to host one November 25-27 and then another over the January 6-8 weekend. Then folks could play in one or the other...or BOTH!

What do folks think? A November Chunky-a-thon and a New-Year-Chunky-A-Thon?

sniisk
10-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Sounds good, Martha!

Spirit Soul
10-08-2011, 06:46 AM
I'd like to play too. I voted for early Jan.

KESagers
10-08-2011, 11:38 AM
More is always better!

Donnacr
10-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I agree with KESagers - more is definitely always better!

jensaz
10-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I'd love to play. Earlier in Dec would be best for me as I'll be getting ready for ARTzona.

CynthiaSillitoe
10-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh, I love the idea of two, especially as I may be a rookie at the first one.

Ibus
10-09-2011, 02:34 PM
I vote for two! ;)

Els
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Early January...gives me something to look forward to after the holidays, which is always a plus.

Els
10-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Why NOT two? I may or may not be available for the first, but will definitely be there for the second round.

HHC
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
No, not greedy at all, Rogue Gal...I was just thinking along those lines myself actually!

I don't think it would be too much to host one November 25-27 and then another over the January 6-8 weekend. Then folks could play in one or the other...or BOTH!

What do folks think? A November Chunky-a-thon and a New-Year-Chunky-A-Thon?

Both sounds good to me, Martha! :)

Theresagram
10-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Two would be twice as much fun!!

Rogue Gal
10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Glad to know that two is a possibility! :jiggy:

craftyvox
10-11-2011, 04:04 AM
The more a-thons the more a-fun! :) Two sounds great!

sharlene54
10-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I voted for one, but two sounds better!!

Blanche
10-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds good to me.
Is Nov 25 Thanksgiving in the US? I still don't know what my plans are, but if I can squeeze in some art time, I will!

mrubyjean
10-11-2011, 10:23 PM
November 24 is Thanksgiving in the US.
My thought was we could start the A-thon right after Thanksgiving.

mrubyjean
10-11-2011, 10:26 PM
And I'll go ahead and make it official and get two Chunky-A-thons on the Calendar ~ the November Chunky-A-Thon (NCAT) on November 25-27 and the New Year-Chunky-A-Thon (NYCAT) over the January 6-8 weekend.

Thanks everyone for voting and for your Chunky enthusiasm!!

HHC
10-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Cool beans, Martha! :)

Suze
10-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Love the idea of two chunky a thons, Martha!!
will try my best to be here.............I'm collecting Christmas chunky pages , so Nov. one would be super....then Jan. is the after Christmas Blues for me...so that would be fun as well! Hooray for Martha!!!!

lilbad
10-27-2011, 08:44 PM
I am so excited.....can't do Jan as won't have a scanner in Lake Havasu. But the Nov. one works well for me. I have been working on 4x4s for awhile now, so have a stash! Woot!

Blanche
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM
What fun! Will save both A-Thon dates on my radar.
Excellent point, pmc!
The upcoming holidays in Nov then recuperating & embracing a new year in Jan! Sounds like a lot of fun to me!!:jiggy:

Fantasia
10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
OOH Sounds great to me!!! Not sure I'll be available in Nov, but definitely Jan. I love chunkies!

Cat's Cradle
11-01-2011, 06:01 PM
And I'll go ahead and make it official and get two Chunky-A-thons on the Calendar ~ the November Chunky-A-Thon (NCAT) on November 25-27 and the New Year-Chunky-A-Thon (NYCAT) over the January 6-8 weekend.

My kids are bugging me to make chunkies, so I need to make sure they have some blanks to play with during the A-thon weekends! Then we can all make a mess together, I can post mine for trading and post theirs for show-and-tell. :D

craftyvox
11-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Excellent!!!!! :D (I totally missed this post, but when Cats responded on it, I couldn't help myself and had to respond as well :geek:)

:D:D

Just Ducky
11-19-2011, 11:56 PM
got the crafty table cleaned/shoveled off... so gonna start cutting my back blanks..
it's been fer-ever since I did chunky, so I know this is gonna be slow moving for me..
having to branch out to fill a whole 4x4.. man that looks big next to an atc...

Donnacr
11-20-2011, 08:34 AM
It sure does Ducky - quite daunting, in fact, but we will cope. We are ATHONERS!!:yes::D:skeptical::err:

Ibus
11-20-2011, 12:54 PM
:laugh: We sure are Donna! I'm thoroughly enjoying making chunkies, I have so many things that are just a wee bit big for an ATC and would be a pity to trim down and making danglies is so much fun, I'm having a ball here ;)

lilbad
11-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I am stoked! Have 10 painted, but none mounted! Should be fun.

Blanche
11-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Yay! I am getting stoked for this because of the chunky factor- I have a ton of materials for dangles and embellishments.
One big problem tho, I have never made a 4x4. Like Ducky, this canvas is a bit daunting to me!
Any suggestions from going to an ATC mindset to filling in that extra space?!?!

CynthiaSillitoe
11-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Also, are chunkies decorated are one side and signed on the other like ATCs or are they decorated on both sides?

I'm looking forward to it. I picked up some 4 x 4 coasters, and also have a stash of the cardboard they put in usps.com orders. I'm a little daunted by the size, but also excited as I have a stash of clip art and such that's just too big for ATCs.

sniisk
11-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Usually it's nice if a chunky has also a nice back side. But you need to sign it too on the back side.

Jean
11-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Oooh, I have just prepared some 4x4 coasters for collage and they're just sitting there... I will play!

Ibus
11-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Yay! I am getting stoked for this because of the chunky factor- I have a ton of materials for dangles and embellishments.
One big problem tho, I have never made a 4x4. Like Ducky, this canvas is a bit daunting to me!
Any suggestions from going to an ATC mindset to filling in that extra space?!?!

Don't look at it as a huge space! You're scaring yourself before you start. :err:

To start with, you don't decorate the left hand side of the card (obviously you cover it with paper, paint, whatever you're using, but you don't use the half inch, as that often gets lost in binding)

So there you are already, it's a landscape ATC! ;) You just have 1.5 inches more in height. Start with something big (too big for an ATC) it's easier to fill the space and also you'll find, that it's not really that much more. ;)

Ibus
11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Also, are chunkies decorated are one side and signed on the other like ATCs or are they decorated on both sides?

Here's the backs of two I did for a swop.

86993 86994

lilbad
11-20-2011, 03:37 PM
i thought the danglies went on the lower right of the card....am I wrong?

Ibus
11-20-2011, 03:38 PM
i thought the danglies went on the lower right of the card....am I wrong?

They do, but when you're looking at the back of the card, they're on the left! ;)

lilbad
11-20-2011, 03:47 PM
LOL!!! I see now!

Blanche
11-20-2011, 04:27 PM
OMG great advice to us newbies at this! :notworthy:
A few more ?s -

I have access to wonderful strudy file folders that are no longer used in my workplace, so I am recycling them (with permission) to be my card backs. If any of you have received cards from me, you are familiar with them. My question for cutting them into proper chunkies- is height of 4 inches by width of 4.5 correct?

How much embellishment of the interior of the card is generally acceptable? Like, can I put a button that stands up a half inch on the card, or is that best used as a dangle hanging off? (trying to envision a bound book of chunkies all katywhampus because I didn't know any better!)??!?

Ibus, can I come over there for this A-Thon and you be my personal tutor?!?!?

[/LIST]

Ibus
11-20-2011, 05:17 PM
OMG great advice to us newbies at this! :notworthy:
A few more ?s -

I have access to wonderful strudy file folders that are no longer used in my workplace, so I am recycling them (with permission) to be my card backs. If any of you have received cards from me, you are familiar with them. My question for cutting them into proper chunkies- is height of 4 inches by width of 4.5 correct?

No, they're 4inches by 4 inches, you just don't put any important design features in the left hand half inch.

86996 86997

How much embellishment of the interior of the card is generally acceptable? Like, can I put a button that stands up a half inch on the card, or is that best used as a dangle hanging off? (trying to envision a bound book of chunkies all katywhampus because I didn't know any better!)??!?

Most I've seen are! ;) http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/1767/small/1_Little_Book__inside_cover.JPG An example of binding I found in the gallery, while looking for the one I can't find ... the 'book' had so much in it, it formed a circle.

The blue heart in the middle there is about 1/4 of an inch high and it didn't look odd, but more than that, I'm not actually sure. I suppose go with your gut, if it looks alright, it probably is! I have seen some hosts saying large embellishments are fine, just send extra postage, but I haven't yet learnt how big is too big!

Ibus, can I come over there for this A-Thon and you be my personal tutor?!?!?

[/LIST]

:laugh: I'm actually a newbie myself! I've only been making chunkies for about two months. ;) Do what I did, go to the gallery and search for Chunky books and hundreds of photos come up, shows just what can be used! (I found one with a plastic knife and fork on it) ;)

lilbad
11-20-2011, 05:21 PM
4" by 4" is the size. Good hints, Ibus!

Blanche
11-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Awesomeness!
Thanks for the tips & tricks!
Hope my newbie ?s with your answers help others as well.
I am in the midst of cleaning up my workspace. I'm filling a box of possibilites for the chunky swap, similar to my PSAT prep.
Soooo looking forward to this!

Ibus
11-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I keep going to work on ATCs for swops and ending up making chunky backgrounds!

Theresagram
11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
And it's good to try more than one search because sometimes you get different stuff in each search. And I type in 'chuny chunkies' because some people make it plural.

But I have a number of chunkies in my gallery and none of them appear in a search for some reason. :skeptical:

HHC
11-20-2011, 09:30 PM
I've always wondered if the title AND description add to the search... anyone know?

Just Ducky
11-21-2011, 12:43 AM
I starting to really get the chunk itch... gonna look around and see what stuff I have that's been just a tad to big for atc... had a small box of stuff and now I don't remember where I put it up at... "just for now" don't ya just hate when you are so sure you will always remember that spot... till you reach and it ain't there...:skeptical:

Just Ducky
11-21-2011, 01:11 AM
I did a Gallery Search... found lots and lots...

using key word... chunky .... and then over on the right side ... Catergories...
Journal & Chunky Books traded or swaps..... also try...
(catergories)... Mail Art traded and for swaps...

each one of these showed almost 500 from each search...

Suze
11-21-2011, 01:40 AM
I Love doing Chunky's!
Chunky's are different from atc's not only in size, but because "Anything Goes" :shocked:
*grin*(I think the only exception is keeping part of the left side free of embellishments)
Some traders prefer little or no "danglies , ribbons, lace, charms,embroidery thread braided, etc hanging off their Chunky's, some (like me ; ) love All kinds of dangling thingys......and they can be put on upper R. corner, lower R. corner....even in the center of the bottem or the top. Unlike atc's , thickness is not an issue, ......but again, traders who collect chunky's and make books have their own taste, some like their pages more flat.
I have beautiful pages that are just watercolor with no danglie thingys or rick rack or lace or anything, and I have pages that are just thick with embellishments and the ribbons or charms are hanging down past page. For me, I combine all types of pages in one book.
Another fun thing is to make a front cover and back cover for someones Chunky book. :yes:
(I would love to trade for a "Cover" ! )
sorry this is so long winded :chatterbox: I just wanted to share my experience with Chunky's.........can you tell I Love them????:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Theresagram
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
I did a Gallery Search... found lots and lots...

using key word... chunky .... and then over on the right side ... Catergories...
Journal & Chunky Books traded or swaps..... also try...
(catergories)... Mail Art traded and for swaps...

each one of these showed almost 500 from each search...

Thanks Ducky! I'll have to try that!! :D

theweavershand
11-21-2011, 04:18 PM
supposed to be out of town for the holiday but if that falls through ill see if i can play. definitely putting the new year one on my calender.

mrubyjean
11-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm so happy too see that folks are planning for the Chunky-a-thon!

Finally getting a minute to breathe here...and I'm thinking I should work on getting the Official Chunky-a-thon page posted soon. I think I'm about 24 hours later here than New Zealand and Australia...is this true? So my Thursday midnight is roughly Wednesday midnight in parts of New Zealand/Australia:err: ?

sharlene54
11-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm ready. I'll be out some of the days because of Thanksgiving Holiday, but I'll play and create when I can.

Rogue Gal
11-22-2011, 06:25 PM
I've been prepping backgrounds for weeks - bring it on!

HHC
11-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a stack of backgrounds at the ready too. :D

lilbad
11-22-2011, 07:57 PM
A question: do we post here or in our gallery? If it's the gallery, under what heading?

mrubyjean
11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Since this will be an A-Thon, we can use the A-Thon gallery for available chunky pages.

And I like to move mine when they are traded, so for this Chunky Page A-Thon, I'll be moving my traded pages to the Journal and Chunky Pages: Traded and For Swaps Gallery

Most people post to both their gallery and to the thread, although it is a bit of work to keep track of both. It is whatever you prefer, really.

Ibus
11-22-2011, 08:58 PM
This time I'm only going to put them in the A-thon gallery. I kept on forgetting to update the thread when I traded someting, but had kept my gallery up to date. Like Martha, I move them when they're traded.

HHC
11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I do both thread and the a-thon gallery. Although I'm not always good at keeping up with marking them traded in the thread, I do update my gallery when they are traded. :)

lilbad
11-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Ok, thanks!

Just Ducky
11-22-2011, 10:58 PM
HELP.... HELP......

I having a real problem last couple days... I have got some backgrounds ready so.. I have kinda thin blanks..( from like a cracker box) and then my background paper and even the back of the chunky background paper...

my problem is... they won't lay flat... I have had them under weights for over 24 hours and they still WON'T lay real flat... I have done chunky before and never had this happen so bad.... even tried a couple with thicker blanks and still cupping...:cry::arghh:

mrubyjean
11-23-2011, 12:26 AM
OK...the Official November Chunky-Page-A-Thon (CPAT) is up ~
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21618

Come on over and say Hi!