PDA

View Full Version : Postage Stamp Athon November 11-14 Prelim Thread

CynthiaSillitoe
10-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Ok, I'm starting this early, I know, but I have my reasons...read on...

So, the postage-a-thon means creating art that includes cancelled postage stamps or images of postage stamps (like rubber stamps) or if people want to draw their own stamps, either recreating actual postage stamps or your own designs. ATCs, of course, are always welcome, but so are inchies, twinchies, chunkies, whatever you can work those stamps into or onto. (Hey, some people might even want to do sheets of faux postage. Has anyone ever used postage stamps on an art doll?)

If you want to use postage stamps, but you don't have a stash of them, I have way too many, so PM me your address and maybe countries or themes, and I'll send you some! (I should have thought of this sooner as I don't know if I can get them to people outside the U.S. in time, but I could try.)

Also, I wondered if anyone had ideas for optional challenges? Anyone want to co-host? I'm two hours behind Eastern Standard time, so I could start the thread early, but I won't be one of the earliest players. I'd love to find some co-hosts in different time zones.

A-thon basics:

You can start when it is 12:01 a.m on Friday the 11th, your time, also known as one minute after midnight on Thursday the 10th. You can also join in any time after that and you can work on backgrounds and such before the a-thon begins. We will go through Monday the 14th. (So all through Monday, Monday evening, one minute after midnight and it's now officially Tuesday...we'll end...maybe. We might go through Tuesday.) Create any kind of art you want using postage stamps or creating postage stamps (like faux postage) or using images. Upload scans and/or photos to the thread and/or the athon gallery. (We'll have instructions on that on the official thread.) Ask for trades by PM, please, but feel free to chat and hang out in the thread. Most importantly, have fun!

lilbad
10-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Sounds like fun...hope I have my new scanner figured out by then. I have lots of stamps.

jaw
10-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Oh I'll be working most of that weekend ... but I'll get prepared and have some ready to go ...
ideas for challenges:
Postage stamp People ...Make a body for a postage stamp "face"
"completing a scene" ... Draw/collage, etc ... the surrounding scenery with a postage stamp as a beginning - or focal point - for your scene.

thatgeekyartgirl
10-30-2011, 01:44 AM
so funny I just ran across this...i just bought some stamps that are very inspiring. Theyre some kind of whimsical love flower garden theme. Lol little hard for me to describe but I love them. Maybe ill try out inchies... So many ideas? This is my first athon so it should be fun.

CynthiaSillitoe
10-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Oh I'll be working most of that weekend ... but I'll get prepared and have some ready to go ...
ideas for challenges:
Postage stamp People ...Make a body for a postage stamp "face"
"completing a scene" ... Draw/collage, etc ... the surrounding scenery with a postage stamp as a beginning - or focal point - for your scene.

Great ideas! Knowing us, we may go into Monday or even Tuesday, too, if that would help. :)

so funny I just ran across this...i just bought some stamps that are very inspiring. Theyre some kind of whimsical love flower garden theme. Lol little hard for me to describe but I love them. Maybe ill try out inchies... So many ideas? This is my first athon so it should be fun.

Yay! Athons are great fun so I'm glad you'll be joining us. :)

Evalila
10-30-2011, 02:17 PM
What fun! And jaws ideas for challenges are great:D

If you still need a co-host on the other side of the pond - Im here;)

Theresagram
10-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Ooooh....

Blanche
10-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I've been saving stamps for this - have hundreds, literally, of flags, statue of liberty, and liberty bells, so I also offer those up to any one as well - just pm me if you want any of those but we all wanna use the cooler, not so generic ones, right!?!?
Love the peoples, and 'completing the scene' ideas!
I am East Coast USA - working on Friday, but have the weekend open, so I can help co-host if needed early Sat & Sun.

thatgeekyartgirl
10-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Hopefully this picture will upload but the were the stamps I mentioned before.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10007675&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000003&top_category=10000003&categoryId=10000068&top=&currentPage=0&sort=&viewAll=Y&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10007675

sniisk
10-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Sounds great :). This time I should have absolutely enough postage stamps.

sniisk
10-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Oh well, I just noticed that when this a-thon is ending, I'll be in another country again. But at least I can play the first days.

Cathy1
10-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Sounds great fun - I am sure I will have time to play

Nancy
10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
I plan on playing....I especially love the postage stamp people.....I have been trying to think of something creative and wondered if the postage stamps have to be, the whole stamp or is cutting them up allowed, exp: some one with punches could punch hearts or ducks or whatever out of them, and use the cutouts in a collage, and I also thought they could be cut up in quilt pattern designs...or maybe I could design a little house with them since I love whimsical houses.....or does everyone want the entire stamp as it is?

mrubyjean
10-31-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm, personally, fine, with any creative use of postage stamps...but I'll go with whatever rules the host chooses to set up.

CynthiaSillitoe
10-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Altering the stamps if fine with me. :)

miloccpep
11-01-2011, 05:45 AM
I'll find the time to make a few cards if not more.

jaw
11-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Your art is YOUR art ... alter away! The sky is the limit! ... just little ol' me bein' all opinionated again ...

Wil Opio Oguta
11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Since last postage-athon I was able to get quite a collection of stamps through freecycle. I am ready to play -:)

craftyvox
11-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Sounds like fun - count me in! I got quite the collection of used postage stamps so should be good to go.

I love some of the stamps the US postal service has brought out over the years! Sometimes I go to their website just to browse for fun lol. I remember some Disney themed stamps, and there's been postage with cats on them, and butterflies, King&Queen of hearts, and herbs, and Garden Of Love -- loved those stamps!!

If anyone is interested in swapping out postage to craft with, I have quite the collection of Dutch cancelled postage and would love to trade for some interesting US postage :)

craftyvox
11-01-2011, 01:00 PM
While browsing the USPS site just now, I noticed there's quite a bunch of "face" stamps (Gregory Peck, Helen Hayes, Mark Twain, American scientists, Ronald Reagan, Mother Theresa, and many more!) out right now as well. They'd be AWESOME for the postage-people :D

KESagers
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm getting my stamps ready. :)

Ibus
11-01-2011, 05:33 PM
What does hosting entail? I'll be starting before anyone in the US and my time's my own, I don't have many commitments.... :D

CynthiaSillitoe
11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Mostly just being here. I'll start the thread a day or so early by my time, so it should be right on time for the early birds. We can all chat and enjoy the art, even before we start working. Anyway, it's just great to have several people on (when they can be) so that the conversation keeps going, people get lots of feedback, etc. (If there's something else I need to do, let me know.)

The other thing is that every so often my internet goes out. It's always frustrating, especially during an athon, but I'll stress less if I know other people will be online to make sure the fun continues.

Ibus
11-01-2011, 07:51 PM
That sort of thing I can do!

miloccpep
11-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Hey Cynthia, I would love some of YOUR beautiful face of otherwise postage stamps, please. Will pm you my addy now. Thanks.

sniisk
11-02-2011, 02:12 AM
I think also Evelyn offered to be a host at the beginning of this thread.

mtpaperplayer
11-02-2011, 08:59 AM
How does this Postage Stamp a Thon work? I've never participated in one before, but it sounds intriguing! Info, please??:yes:

Suze
11-02-2011, 11:17 AM
I crawled out from under the rock where I've been living :geek: JUST in time to find this a thon! :yes:
this will be my second postage stamp a thon, and I've been collecting stamps, so I'm ready.
I remember combining postage stamps with found poetry last time, that was fun. and for chunky lovers, I really like the "border" of postage stamps on chunky's.
looking forward to this athon!

dsign49
11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
I will sure to play some. Will have deer hunter at my house and maybe even one little grandson. I have miss so much lately with this crazy job I have.

CynthiaSillitoe
11-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah, Blanche, Evalila, Ibus are all on board. That should be plenty of co-hosts. I'm excited to see people excited about it. :)

I answered Mtpaperplayer's questions by PM, but I wondered if people might post their systems for keeping track of trades?

Also, remember that "prep" stuff like backgrounds or sorting stamps can be done before the a-thon. When I put up the thread, I'll have some rules posted, which I'll probably borrow from HHC. :biglaugh: Also, knowing us, we may let it run into Monday or Tuesday if we're all having fun, though then we'll need a break to get organized for the November chunky-a-thon.

I hope I'm making sense. I've had too much Halloween candy and not enough real food or sleep.

thatgeekyartgirl
11-02-2011, 04:05 PM
So I didnt have as many stamps as I thought. If anyone has some or stamped images to spare maybe I can send an atc or atc, chunky or inchie blanks/backgrounds to trade

Ibus
11-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Heehee! I don't want to see anymore candy for a long time!

As I confirm a deal, I put that item into an envelope with the recipients name on it. End of the A-thon, I then check addresses etc and pack and send everything off.

CynthiaSillitoe
11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
So I didnt have as many stamps as I thought. If anyone has some or stamped images to spare maybe I can send an atc or atc, chunky or inchie blanks/backgrounds to trade

I'll send you some since you already rak'd me inchies. :)

thatgeekyartgirl
11-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Yay im so excited

Nancy
11-03-2011, 11:25 AM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/1854/large/1_Stamp_House_1.jpg (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/1854/1_Stamp_House_1.jpg) This is my first attempt at altering a stamp....to get prepared for the great Athon. When it begins I will make some and see if there are takers.........

thatgeekyartgirl
11-03-2011, 12:16 PM
So cute!!

mrubyjean
11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Great idea, Nancy ~ I love your card!

KESagers
11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Nancy I think there will be "takers" - that's such a great idea!

Blanche
11-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm getting so excited! Soaking batches of stamps and categorizing them, getting trade envies ready, cutting backgrounds! Whoo woo, this is already fun! :jiggy:

To keep track of trades, I keep a notebook- when a deal is made, I write down the who & what is going to be traded and the addy if I don't already have it. I also have an address folder set up in my PMs and move the PM with the address there. Sometime before the swap I will go buy more stamps(for mailing) since I am about out. I think last time, was it you, Cynthia? suggested cooking some meals ahead of time and/or getting takeout, so you don't have to spend time cooking - if that kind of thing works for you. So tomorrow night I am going to make a big pan of lasagna and freeze it in portions. I guess that's about it. If I think of anything else, I will pass it on....

CynthiaSillitoe
11-03-2011, 09:19 PM
It might have been my bad example. :) Usually, when it's time to start mailing, I realize I've forgotten to buy postage stamps! I did order some today, though, so I'm learning.

minnkel
11-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Now that my computer is back and running properly.....I will definitely be here! Soaked some stamps yesterday and getting some ideas brewing!! I totally loved the last postage stamp a thon and can hardly wait for this one! I know the "boys" will be happy fixing meals for themselves and the little one! (snicker snicker) Hey...maybe it will make them appreciate me more???? Oh well....a girl can hope right?

CynthiaSillitoe
11-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Maybe they'll enjoy it so much they'll want to cook all the meals? :)

minnkel
11-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Oh if only!!! Do I dare dream??????:swoon:

owl-lady
11-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Sounds like fun and I have so many lovely stamps I have been saving up :)

thatgeekyartgirl
11-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks cynthia, for some awesome stamps cant wait to create

CynthiaSillitoe
11-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Glad you like them! I can't wait either...I want to fast forward to Friday! :)

Just Ducky
11-08-2011, 02:24 AM
been gathering used postage from my trade envelopes... and trying to get some background paper ready...

oh.... I LOST on starting time... do we start after midnight Thursday ??? which would be super early Friday morning ???? ... like... I can do art and post it on Thursday afternoon or not until Friday afternoon... I always get lost with this midnight thingy... :confused:

Just Ducky
11-08-2011, 02:30 AM
OK... I just reread your first post and think it sunk in... finally...
I can start arting on early early Friday morning... got it..

now... I sure hope I figure out my scanner... old computer died and now my old scanner isn't compliant with this new computer... I working to see if there is a update driver I can use... hope so... or this duck is in the pond with NO water....

gingasaurus
11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I wish I had seen this sooner, I don't think I really have enough stamps for an 'a-thon'. I only have a few really :P

Jewels
11-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Oooo... This sounds like fun but I won't be able to play until Sunday.

Cathy1
11-08-2011, 01:30 PM
OK... I just reread your first post and think it sunk in... finally...
I can start arting on early early Friday morning... got it..

now... I sure hope I figure out my scanner... old computer died and now my old scanner isn't compliant with this new computer... I working to see if there is a update driver I can use... hope so... or this duck is in the pond with NO water....
Oh Ducky you could pretend you are visiting with me and then you can start even earlier as I think New Zealand is quite a few hours ahead LOL

KESagers
11-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Gingasauras - just use what you have and with the trades you make you'll get more stamps for next time. ;) I'd send you some but they wont get there in time as slow as our mail is.

KittyNL
11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
OOOhHH, an-athon-weekend :D. Love it, I will be there!

jaw
11-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I wish I had seen this sooner, I don't think I really have enough stamps for an 'a-thon'. I only have a few really :P

Use what you have ... you can also scan and copy some ... :)

CynthiaSillitoe
11-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Also, we'll have an ongoing challenge to create our own postage stamps. You can draw or paint them (either replicating actual stamps or creating your own.) I know Blanche is thinking about trying some with photographs.

The main goal, of course, is to have an excuse to spend the weekend working on art while spouses and kids enjoy fixing their own meals. :)

Just Ducky
11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
any of you gals know HOW I can get my old scanner into my new computer ???
I found a updated driver on the Canon web site but I don't know what to do after I
upload new driver/software .... man and it is getting close to marathon time... and now I in panic mood....
I NEED a computer nerd... we must have a computer nerd here... I can call ya on the phone IF you a USA person.... HELP... this duck is sunk without scanner...
I don't want a new scanner... I LIKE this one... and it would take me another month to learn how to use a new one....:confused:

jaw
11-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Have you gone to your Control Panel and "installed" it? (I'm no nerd, but I had to do that once! LOL)
Or go to the control panel and look at the "hardware" installed and chosen your printer as the primary one?
I've called the 800# before and had great help ... but mine was still under warranty ... it was a simple fix, but they knew what they were doing ...

CynthiaSillitoe
11-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Ducky, I wish I were more of a computer nerd, but I think it's one of those, too. I always have problems when I download something and then have to figure out how to open it. Are you using Windows? Try this: if you click on start, you should see my computer as an option, click on that, then the file that says Users. In Users, look for the Downloads file. Once you open that, you should see a file from Canon. Probably all you need to do is double-click it to open and then it will install. Sorry. I wish I were better at this kind of thing. :(

Blanche
11-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Just Ducky,
What they said, plus if you are still stuck, go to the Canon site and they list all the products they make - you can find out what drivers you need and you can download manuals/brochures that can probably help in figuring out what to do.

Ibus
11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Sorted out some potential stamps and have them soaking :)

jensaz
11-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Gonna try to make it

craftyvox
11-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Use what you have ... you can also scan and copy some ... :)

That's such a smart idea! There's some stamps in my collection that are so lovely but of which I just have ONE.. scanning and printing them is just a great idea! :yes:

Mouseit
11-09-2011, 06:25 AM
That would be right - the one weekend I am away at the Lions International conventgion you hold the next stampathon....*cries*

Ahhhh well there is always the next one..... I will have to come see the eye candy when I get back on Sunday night........

Wil Opio Oguta
11-09-2011, 07:38 AM
If you have few stamps or if you are looking for special ones, try out Ebay. Enlarge the picture, select all, copy and paste to Words. Adjust the size to what you need. Works like a charm -:)

Jewels
11-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Besides online searches, I get the USA Philatelic books at the local Post Office. They have all the newer stamps printed out in them and they're free!

CynthiaSillitoe
11-09-2011, 02:37 PM
That would be right - the one weekend I am away at the Lions International conventgion you hold the next stampathon....*cries*

Ahhhh well there is always the next one..... I will have to come see the eye candy when I get back on Sunday night........

We'll be playing through Monday and maybe even Tuesday!

Love all the ideas of scanning and printing and such. I'm going to get the official thread set up now. (I know it's a bit early, but we can chat there, too, and I won't have time tonight...and the Internet tells me it's already Thursday morning in NZ. Yikes!)

New thread is here: http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1125109#post1125109

Mouseit
11-09-2011, 04:10 PM
*ohhh* *brightens up* I could make Sunday and monday/Tuesday nights after work... even if its a few, I have so many nice new (used) stamps that they have issued just recently.

sueatbwp
11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
O.K. I'm in.....I have to work Friday afternoon but I'll get started after that. Maybe my Dad's stamp collection will come in handy after all!
Ducky, did you get the scanner set up? Wish I could help but I call on other people to set my computer things up.....I just know how to use them after that!

Mouseit
11-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Sueatbwp _ LOL Just make sure that any valuable stamps are keep away from your cards.. LOL Although I spose a $1000 stamp for someone would be a really nice gift...LOL

sueatbwp
11-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Already had the stamp collection looked at......million to one chance that something very valuable is in it. Looking thru it last night I have decided that "vintage" stamps (1920- 1950) are NOT very interesting, pretty. They just were jump starting my creativity......

Mouseit
11-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Way cool Sueatbwp.....go for it them..LOL with our blessings.... heehee I shall watch what you create.

Mouseit
11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
ITS FRIDAY.... enjoy it all folks see you when I get back... want to see all the lovely eye candy!!!
HAVE FUN!!!

CynthiaSillitoe
11-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Already had the stamp collection looked at......million to one chance that something very valuable is in it. Looking thru it last night I have decided that "vintage" stamps (1920- 1950) are NOT very interesting, pretty. They just were jump starting my creativity......

LOL! I cut up my albums long ago. :)

Ibus
11-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Besides online searches, I get the USA Philatelic books at the local Post Office. They have all the newer stamps printed out in them and they're free!

I've been collecting our ones of those, I'd forgotten about them. Now where did I put them ............. :unsure:

thatgeekyartgirl
11-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Super cute. I love your houses. But you may get more views in the "official" thread

sueatbwp
11-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Nancy: love the house! I have a few more but no time to scan before work. When I get back the evening will be devoted to the "a-thon"!