Withdraw date –Please communicate withdrawals
Number of cards 3-3
Number of participants – unlimited
Medium- metal

I was intrigued by an article in Art Trader Magazine by Kimberly Butts:
http://www.arttradermag.com/issues/ArtTrader_Issue8.pdf
Pages 6-10

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/1_Scantree0002.jpg

Please use the 36 or 38 guage tooling foil described in this article. In this article you should note the way it is attached to the card, the products used. Any theme for your cards is fine. Please also watch the you tube video by our wonderful MoonRose for techniques http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRkbqkVRy4 Here is another wonderful tutorial by moonrose Embossing Party http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQT6tzcOOco&list=UUYnAtPiCOsSCjuLXNgF-WNQ&index=1&feature=plcp

So I thought, Hmmm… what fun. So that article is the basis for your cards. Create anything you wish on them but please use the instructions from that article. Hmmm….. Ok well there are 3 things that I don’t want.
1. If you can’t show it to your kids, don’t send it to me, I blush easily.
2. Hold the violence. I know the foil leads itself to shiny knives and saw blades, but let’s keep that for another day.
3. Do your best work!!! Experiment with it! Buy enough material that if you hate one, there is room for improvement.
Ok, with that said and out of the way, any cards breaking these rules will be sent back. Really, really really.

Please take the time to read all the information below.

For this swap, everyone will create 3 cards that are Metal and are made in the style of Kimberly Butts article. Please, use your imagination. Please send wonderful work that I know you can all do.

Please PM me when you need an address. Those of you that have it, I still live here

I will supply the envelopes
International participants please provide a large address label and postage from your country that I can use in other swaps. Usually whatever it cost you to send it is what it will cost me to return it.
USA participants please provide loose stamps. Again whatever it took to send it to me, and a large address label. Please send a large label. Do Not send an Envelope, I will Supply it

Of course host cards are never required but will be cherish.
On the back of your cards:
Title of card
Material
Date
Your site name
Your real name
Your location, please include country.

What you should know for this swap-
Create 3 awesome metal cards …. ATC cards
Be Creative try new techniques
Place your cards in plastic sleeves
PM me for an address
Send the same amount in stamps as it took to send it to me- I will supply the envelopes.
Please send a large Label with your name and address, please put your country
Don’t forget to put your information on the back

Any late cards will be returned to sender. They must be postmarked before the last day of the swap

Now Who Wants to Play:
1.meRec'd returns
2. LouisezeeRec'd Cards
7.Moonrose
9.kbuttsRed'd returns
10.TLSextonRec'd returns
11.artkittyRec'd Returns
12.AKUARec'd returns

Ibus
12-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Me please!

Jennie
12-21-2011, 07:29 PM
OH yea! Love to have you Ibus. You found it before I did. I think it should be a fun swap.

Lois
12-21-2011, 10:10 PM
This is right up my alley. May I join you?
I've done some in the past, so should be able to dive right in!
Here's one from my Gallery. (Aluminum "repair tape" with alcohol inks.)

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/654/1_landscape_2.jpg

Please PM me your mailing address. Thanks for hosting!

tlsexton0913
12-21-2011, 11:15 PM
I would love to join but am going to lurk for now. I actually like the idea in the magazine, but that is not how I have done it in the past. Is raised ok? I actually do a drawing on the uncolored side with a pencil and when you turn it over it is raised. I have never put paint or alcohol ink on it, but now I am wondering how cool it would look. :D

Lois
12-22-2011, 12:41 AM
I love that metal ATC you did and was wondering how you applied the alcohol ink to the metal.
With great care!!
Actually, these were incredibly hard to make. Controlling the location of the ink is a challenge because whenever you apply a new color, the alcohol in it SHOVES the existing ink away instead of blending.
I tried using Qtips to apply ink -- with some success -- but it made for a very pale coloring on the aluminum. Eventually I found that the SHOVE is weaker going uphill, so I held the work upright and applied each color below the older ones -- then using a Qtip to remove the excess as it ran down, cleaned off the lower sections and repeated with another color. Ad infinitum!
Now I don't use alcohol inks so much, I prefer acrylics. Here's one of the acrylic-colored ones.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/654/1_LCR-0333A-_2BirdsFollowMoonlitRd_-700.jpg
More of my metal ATCs are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/loisrichter/3057701216/

meredithu
12-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Sign me up!!

marilou
12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Jennie, I am lurking...want to give it a try first, before commit myself.
Lois those card are really a work of ART. Wow....

Jennie
12-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Awesome- Lurk away TLSexton and Mariloupatch.

The foil used in the article is 38 gauge tooling foil. It comes in many different colors and can be bought at any craft store. It usually is with the wood items. Please everyone make sure that you wrap your metal the way it says so that there won't be any cut fingers. Also I was thinking if you wanted to add cutouts of different colors for elements please do. The aluminium tape works fabulously for that. Make sure you work it first and then stick it on or it will mar your tooling foil

Jennie
12-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Ok welcome
Lois, Louisezee, and meridithu

Jennie
12-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Lois I was peeking at your gallery. Katie ignoring the world is priceless. And I looked at your flicker account. Girl you have gone to town with the aluminum, and alchohol ink They're great

Cat's Cradle
12-24-2011, 12:15 AM
OK. Just got some tooling metal. Please sign me up!

Jennie
12-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Glad to have you Mel;

kris10satcs
12-25-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm lurking right now--I need to make sure I will have the funds to purchase the metal--but, otherwise, it sounds like a lot of fun!

DenaCottrell
12-26-2011, 05:50 AM
I haven't played with aluminum like this since college. I would like to participate.

marilou
12-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Jennie, do you think this is ok? I just used kitchen foil :skeptical:

marilou
12-26-2011, 10:35 AM
And another 2, sunrise is ink and alu foil, sunset is metal sheet and acryl paint.
My favourite is working with alu foil and inks.

If you think they are fine, you may sign me up and I will send them in!

Jennie
12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Marilou my concern is that as soon as you put them in a sleeve the foil will not be thick enough to hold it's shape. I really think that it needs to be the 38 gauge tooling foil so it will hold up to the mail.

Moonrose has a fabulous you tube tutorial about working metal for a gorgeous box. Everyone should really watch it. She gives such good Ideas- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRkbqkVRy4
She really is incredibly talented. But this will give you ideas of what to do for shape. She has used a dragon, but think of all the things that you could depict withher process.

marilou
12-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, maybe this is ok, but finding this 38 gauge overhere can be a BIG problem.
I will go into town, in January.
Meanwhile I send you one, and please let me know if it arrives in good shape.
I am really confident you know.
Can you send me your addy?

Jennie
12-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone I added this to the first posts instructions so that everyone knows the products that are necessary for this swap.

Pages 6-10

Please use the 38 guage tooling foil described in this article. In this article you should note the way it is attached to the card, the products used. Any theme for your cards is fine. Please also watch the you tube video by our wonderful MoonRose for techniques http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRkbqkVRy4

Jennie
12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Ok I did my first one last night. Like in moonrose's tutorial I worked mainly on the back surface of the copper, creating a 2 dimensional tree. I used glue from a hot glue gun to fill the void so it wouldn't smash down in transit. Moonrose also said that you could use beeswax also, but at the price of beeswax... I really let the glue gun heat to it's hotest so the glue flowed into the little spots. After I mounted it with tape on the back, I went around the outside of the tree to give it a crisp look.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/1_Scantree0002.jpg

JavaZarf
12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
that looks pretty good

Jennie
12-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Thank you, Would you like to join us Java?

Ibus
12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone I added this to the first posts instructions so that everyone knows the products that are necessary for this swap.

Pages 6-10

Please use the 38 guage tooling foil described in this article. In this article you should note the way it is attached to the card, the products used. Any theme for your cards is fine. Please also watch the you tube video by our wonderful MoonRose for techniques http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRkbqkVRy4

Does this mean if we can't get the 38 gauge tooling foil, we can't take part?

JavaZarf
12-27-2011, 02:40 PM
have to lurk for now......
and have to find metal to experiment to see if i could do it to my satisfaction.
i lurk more than join because i dont like to drop a swap i have joined.
just one of my peculiarities

Jennie
12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I understand Java.
Ibus- Tooling foil is available in all craft stores. You may not have craft stores in Scotland. In that case it is also available online.

I have a few reasons for this-
1. It's a new year and I wanted to work with an entirely different product than we were all used to.
2. It is the product used in the article that everyone was to follow.
3. It will be difficult to trade out if some use the 38 gauge tooling metal, some use aluminum household foil, some use aluminum tape.

I'm sorry. I do appreciate the problem of craft stores in some parts of the world, and I'm so glad that I have 3 large craft stores in our area and probably 10 or so scrapbook stores.

Cat's Cradle
12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I bought a roll from Dick Hoick. They have tooling foil in different colors and gauges. Just watch that you get the proper gauge.

JavaZarf
12-27-2011, 04:32 PM
the metal foil at joannes is 40 gauge

Cat's Cradle
12-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Which is a bit thinner than the 38 gauge and closer to kitchen foil....

Jennie
12-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Absolutely right Mel, 38 guage is perfect for what we are doing. 40 gauge will easily tear through with a stilus. the 38 actually stretches and molds to the shape that you want. Of course the farther you stretch and work it the thinner it becomes. On the one that I posted of the tree, it about 3/8ths of an inch in the highest spot. I could have worked it much more, but I really wanted to see it done. If you watch moonrose work her's, she is very methodical, working inside then out and in again. In order to get that deep front with all of the details.

I personally love Hobby Lobby, But Mel has a great alternative to that.

Jennie
12-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Just bumping us up to the top. Hopeing that more people will join us. Do you know anyone that might want to play along with us? I found it rather relaxing to work on. Oh and watch the edges. I work all the time with glass and seldom cut myself, this is far sharper than glass.

moonrose442
12-29-2011, 02:35 AM
Hi hello. Here you gooo Jennie.

Embossing Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQT6tzcOOco&list=UUYnAtPiCOsSCjuLXNgF-WNQ&index=1&feature=plcp)

I'll be needing your add too. :)

Jennie
12-29-2011, 02:05 PM
moonrose you are my new hero. What a wonderful tutorial, and wouldn't that be fun to do at a party full of crafters. For those of you that don't know moonrose has 16 or 17 you tube turorials that are all very interesting. I personally love the stop action one done by her son.

What I learned-that 36 is better than 38- Use your 38 if you have it, cuz I know some of you already ordered it. Just be a bit careful that while you work it it doesn't rip.

Tools that you can use plain ball stylis', orange stick, blending stump, leather or a mouse pad to use as the bottom. Glue gun or wax. Colors are alchohol ink.

Use a pattern or draw your own directly on the foil, and don't be afraid of it. It really is quite relaxing and forgiving.

I'd love for everyone to watch this tutorial. Thank you so much moonrose.

marilou
12-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Sorry Jenny, have to withdrawn, can not find the right material!

Jennie
12-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm so sorry Marilou, Hope that you can join a later swap with me

Jennie
12-29-2011, 07:28 PM
And we would love to have you Butterfly 4.
Please view the youtube videos on the first post

moonrose442
12-29-2011, 08:55 PM
hi Im happy You liked. You can also use a plastic styles for a tooling too. Jennie is Right you can use the 38 g. Just be careful.
If you do rip a hole you can fix. Just ask and I'll try to talk you through it.

Heres some links
http://www.dickblick.com/products/pure-metal-tooling-foil/
Foil

http://www.dickblick.com/products/art-metal-foil-sheets/
Sheet foil.

I do like working with the real copper or real metals the best.
The other is best for some one who doesn't want to wasting money.

Ill have to find the link to a shop that is all Metal Embossing stuff. The art work is incredible.

tlsexton0913
12-30-2011, 12:14 AM
I have three done now, so sign me up! I did this one year for Christmas cards. I used a really pretty ornament stamp from Hobby Lobby and then glued the finished product to a handmade card. They turned out so awesome I almost didn't want to give them away! I am thinking about attempting the alcohol ink, but am not sure that I am that brave just yet! I will post my pictures when I have the fourth one done! :yes:

tlsexton0913
12-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Here is one of the three ATCs I did. I colored it with alcohol ink and I don't like it. So, I am leaving the other ones alone. I don't have any embossing tools so I used what I had, which equated to a sculpture tool, thin end paint brush without the end, a 2/2.25MM crochet needle, and a stylus.

Water Lily
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/4861/medium/2_00010015.jpg

I didn't like the way it scanned either.

tlsexton0913
12-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Here are the other two without the alcohol ink:

Mermaid Head
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/4861/medium/1_00010017C.jpg

Sunflower
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/4861/medium/1_00010017D.jpg

I ordered some embossing tools for the metal, so I am hoping I get them in time to do the fourth one.

moonrose442
12-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Nice job I do like the color. But if you dont you can use rubbing Alcohol on it and it will rub off. 91% is what I use. ;)

tlsexton0913
12-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Moonrose442! What do you suggest for coloring something that has small spaces and alot of detail?

moonrose442
12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
I used a Q-tip or a paint brush.

Jennie
12-30-2011, 06:09 PM
TLSexton great cards. You seemed to find things that worked out, Who'd have thought of a crochet needle. I love the Christmas card project.

I have also cut paint brushes down if they are too big for tiny spots. I used to make and sell doll house decor. So to paint a piece of cut fruit I'd use a single hair brush that I cut down. I've also been known for using one of my grey hairs. I'd never pull a brown one because there aren't too many left. But the grey ones are a little thicker. I would just tape it to a scewer

tlsexton0913
12-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Jennie! Too funny!

tlsexton0913
12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
This is my last one and I think I am going to wait for my embossing tools to see if I can make these look smoother.

Giraffes
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/4861/medium/1_00010017.jpg

Jennie
12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Fun Embossing tools.

tlsexton0913
12-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Just to let everyone know; permanent markers work really cool for accenting. I am not going to post the colored versions of my cards. I am going to let it be a surprise!!

Jennie, if you address hasn't changed I will be mailing mine out Tuesday!

Jennie
12-31-2011, 03:13 PM
I still live in the same place. I think we are here forever after 16 years. Does anyone else feel as if they should move just to thin out the stuff. I don't even mean art stuff. Just stuff. I think I need to pack up everything like I'm moving, get rid of a bunch of stuff and then unpack and move back in.

tlsexton0913
12-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Jennie, that is exactly how I feel after we have moved 2 times in the last 2.5 years. We will probably be moving again in June as the current owners may be putting the house we are renting on the market. We are hoping they will continue to rent to us. I love the idea of "pack up everything like I'm moving, get rid of a bunch of stuff and then unpack and move back in." :D

Jennie
12-31-2011, 05:40 PM
My other thought is that we shouldn't have a wedding shower. We all got so much for our wedding and shower together. Instead when we are marrying about 20 years, or out of the house 20 years we should then have a All My Stuffs Old Shower. Just a thought

tlsexton0913
12-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I like that idea too, but my husband and I did not have a wedding or any showers. We were married by the justice-of-the-peace, because we couldn't afford a wedding.

Jennie
01-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Ahh! then you are due for an Artist Shower! I really like that Idea better than household stuff.

Jennie
01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
So who else is going to join us?

kbutts
01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Jennie.

I'd love to join if you still have space.

Jennie
01-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Plenty of space love to have you kbutts

tlsexton0913
01-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Jennie! What is an artist shower?:D

kbutts
01-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks Jennie

moonrose442
01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Hello mine went post today.:)

Jennie
01-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Oh can't wait to see them. Haven't gotten back to mine yet

moonrose442
01-04-2012, 11:40 PM
It is a love hate art. Its kind of hard on the hands.:) well I know my hands hurt after.

kbutts
01-05-2012, 12:49 AM
So true moonrose442...if my hands aren't bleeding then they are cramped from forming the metal. I can't seem to give up the medium though.

Jennie
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Yea. Arthritis doesn't help. I always think with my mosaic glass that if there's no bandaids in the end it was too easy.

Jennie
01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Going to try a heart today. Why... I have no idea it just sounded like something I could do today

tlsexton0913
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I am so excited; I received my new embossing tools. I am hoping to create some ATCs to put in my gallery for trading!

Jennie, a heart sounds interesting. Are you going to post a picture here of it?

Cat's Cradle
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
My metal sheeting came in today. It's actually 38 gauge, but I could have sworn it was 36 I ordered....

Jennie
01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
That's ok I have found out that the lower the number the thinner the piece. I have 40 and 38 and the 40 is by far sturdier. If that even a word. So Mell what are you thinking of doing on the cards?

Cat's Cradle
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM
That's exactly the opposite of wire gauge numbers....:skeptical:....wish they would all stick to the same system!

I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a deco heart on one, a cat on one, maybe a dog or a bird.....thinking whimsy on this project, definitely.

Jennie
01-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Whimsey is fun

moonrose442
01-06-2012, 05:11 AM
it is the same as wire. The bigger the number the thikker it is.
Heres a chart to help you out.
http://www.custompartnet.com/sheet-metal-gauge

Ok I know we're not working with steel but it still works for aluminum and other metals LOL
38 is fine, just work it softer. If your using real copper or silver it more workable. :)
Aluminum is the one that rips at 38.

Jennie
01-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Mail call- Moonrose beautiful cards, really fabulous work, love the texture on the owl's tummy. Thank you for the extra

moonrose442
01-07-2012, 02:42 AM
Hoot Hoot that was fast. welcome and Thank you.

moonrose442
01-07-2012, 02:54 AM
ps this is what I made on my days off for a kid at work.

Jennie
01-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Wowza! that's wonderful I bet he was thrilled.

Jennie
01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Ok So DH has chimed in on the thickness off steel, wire, and doctor's needles. I admit that I was very confused. He would know he manages construction of doors windows and hardware in comercial buildings.
Steel- the higher the number the thinner the steel, Same for all metal sheeting
Wire- The higher the number the thinner the wire.
Doctor's needles- you don't want the 10 gauge needle for a shot, A 20 gauge might be better, unless you are into pain

I do thank all of you who tried to explain this to me. I learn by site and he had 2 small sheets of steel that they make steel doors out of with big numbers on them. One makes good steel doors and is thicker. 1 makes the kind of doors that he won't sell because they are flimsy

Jennie
01-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Ok well here is my second card. It's called "all tied up and in love"
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/1_heart_004.JPG

tlsexton0913
01-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Ooh Jennie, that is pretty. I make jewelry as well and the wire sizing is the same. The higher the number the thinner. I received my 36 metal sheeting and I'm thinking it may be too thin and I should have gone with the 38. I am going to play with it and see how it works out. Also, I got my new metal embossing tools and am excited to use those as well. Now, if I could just get the metal out of the tube they sent it in!! Ugh.

Jennie
01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Sound wonderful, I'm using 40 gauge copper, and it does have a lot of stretch and give. I also have 38 aluminum and the tools kind of stick a little as I went over it. I also poked holes so I have put that aside until I have more time to figure it out. Moonrose's tutorial says to use a little wax and it does make it work smoother. Can't wait to see what you come up with

moonrose442
01-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Here a great link. Love the gallery. http://www.mercartusa.com/Home.html

Love the your card jennie.

Jennie
01-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Cool stuff moonrose, I think after living with the card for a day, I'm going to do some little swirls or something in the negative space to give it a more finished appearance.

meredithu
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Arrg I got to withdraw, I made a few and ended up with holes. A lil over zealous with my tools. I would go buy more but in 2012 we are cutting back and I promised my husband I would not buy more art supplies unless it was life or death.

Still lurking your key swap though Jennie- you can't get rid of me.

Jennie
01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
I sure understand meredith, we'll miss you

kbutts
01-08-2012, 11:28 PM
This is a great site to find lots of how-to videos as well as tools and supplies.
http://tensecondsstudio.com/

JavaZarf
01-09-2012, 09:59 AM
my attempt at metal manipulation produced something too big for an atc
i am debating what to do with it and/or if i should try again

Jennie
01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
This is a great site to find lots of how-to videos as well as tools and supplies.
http://tensecondsstudio.com/
Fun stuff. i bookmarked that one

Jennie
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
my attempt at metal manipulation produced something too big for an atc
i am debating what to do with it and/or if i should try again
Now you know that you want to try again. I started off way too grand(my way of saying what was I thinking the size of an ATC card was.) I found that if I very lightly marked a line around the card on the metal I had a better idea of what I could do. Oh and don't get rid of what you did, find a piece of cardboard to go on the back with a wrap around. Remember nothing is ever a mistake.

tlsexton0913
01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I used my scraps and made some ATCs to trade! You can see them in my gallery. Also, can someone tell me what the significance of melted wax on the back of the card is?

moonrose442
01-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I used my scraps and made some ATCs to trade! You can see them in my gallery. Also, can someone tell me what the significance of melted wax on the back of the card is?

It's so it won't cave in. It's so thin of metal that a light push of your finger will destroy your hard work.

Jennie
01-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi There ladys just bumping us from page 3 to the top

moonrose442
01-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Well let me help pump you again :)

Jennie
01-13-2012, 10:35 PM
So how is everyone coming with their metal cards. I'm working on a koi fish that I'm not sure will work.

tlsexton0913
01-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Mine are finished; I just need to have time to go to the post office. Moonrose, I love the Black Widow picture you are using for your profile picture.

Jennie
01-14-2012, 02:20 PM
OOOO TLS can't wait to see them IRL.

I like your new avatar too moonrose

My koi fishy metal card died. He was going along pretty good them all of the sudden an entire section blew out. I was a bit too forceful

moonrose442
01-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks . There is a way to fix some holes, if its small.

Jennie
01-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Yea well this is a blow out verses a pin hole. But how do you fix holes

moonrose442
01-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Cut some metal a little longer and wider then the hold. Curve it into the back side of you hole, then wax it to hold it in place.;)

tlsexton0913
01-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh Jennie, that is so sad. I was looking forward to seeing our koi.

How do you master not getting kinks? I find that the more detailed I get the harder it is to work on the metal. So, like I made a basket pattern and when I went to do the next row it was really hard to make the necessary lines.

Jennie
01-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Well unfortunately my Koi looked liked I put it in the microwave without making a hole in it. Sort of like what a jiffy pop popcorn container looks like after you empty the popcorn

Jennie
01-14-2012, 03:15 PM
I found with the kinks or ridges that the wooden end of the tool smushed them out pretty good. Probably not the real answer so I'll leave that to moonrose

tlsexton0913
01-14-2012, 03:43 PM
I didn't know how else to show what I was talking about, so here is the card with arrows as to what I am talking about.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/4861/medium/1_EmbossedMetalBasket.jpg

moonrose442
01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Well, as I did for the owl card. I did all the detail lines first. Then used blending stump for the back side. The stump is hard but soft.
And practise, I've been doing it for about 9-10 years and I'm still not as great as the ones in that link I posted.

Tlsexton0913 looks fixable to me.

moonrose442
01-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Are you using real copper?

Jennie
01-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Looks really great to me, but I'm happy to have an answer to make us better at this

tlsexton0913
01-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I used 36 gauge Aluminum tooling foil and then painted it with acrylic paint. Thank you for the feedback. I did the basket design first and then everything else. Also, 36 guage is stronger and not as flexible as the higher gauges everyone is using.

moonrose442
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Aluminum is the easiest to rip, don't fell to bad. :)

kbutts
01-15-2012, 03:34 AM
In my experience the key to not getting ridges and kinks is to work/stretch the metal slowly and working in one direction (from the center out or top to bottom etc.). Also, use the paper stumps for puffing out larger areas.

tlsexton0913
01-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I worked with some 36 gauge brass last night and really liked how easy it was to manipulate. I made a house for the little house swap and then found it did NOT want to stayed glued to the card. Any ideas for securing the metal to the ATC if you can't "wrap" it around anything?

BTW, Moonrose, it would be awesome if there were a thread in the "How to" forum for this topic! Hint, hint.

Jennie
01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
TLS is the piece the size of an ATC where there are no edges to wrap? Wow that's going to be sharp. I would fill it with glue or wax and then use 2 sided tape. They do make tape to use with the metal, but I have found that it really doesn't stick to the paper very well. Any one want to chime in on this

Jennie
01-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Just moving us up to the top again

moonrose442
01-17-2012, 12:50 AM
Hi hello. Any new cards to look at! Im making a new pencil box for myself, But I dont know what to put on it. I think the top is going to be a Venice-fly trap.
any Ideas on the sides.

JavaZarf
01-17-2012, 09:46 AM
maybe flies

Jennie
01-17-2012, 10:21 AM
I love the idea of flies. Awesome Java

Jennie
01-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Just bumping us up the line. Moonrose I want to see your pencil box

tlsexton0913
01-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Moonrose, how about some exotic vines?

moonrose442
01-18-2012, 02:52 AM
I like the flies and exotic vines. And not just flies, maybe a black widow :laugh:

Jennie
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
OOOO they do eat any bugs. I here that praying mantis are quite yummy

moonrose442
01-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Lol. well I'm not going to try and eat one so I'll take your word on that.:)

Jennie
01-19-2012, 12:28 AM
I only know from those wild food shows on the travel channel. Did however drink the worm one night from the bottle though. What I learned if you're a wine drinker stick with that

moonrose442
01-19-2012, 01:36 AM
LOL I guess it was a wild night for you then. My night of down fall was mothers milk and hot 100s and maybe some beer too. Ive been told there was some crying, then some fighting, some more crying and finely off with the clothing.
aaaah memory's...... Im so glade Im not 20 anymore, lol ;)

Jennie
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
The worst part is that I get very silly with just one glass of wine. That night I had 2 glasses of wine and a shot with the worm. I do believe it was the last itme I drank too. Oh to be 19 and have to explain that to your mother yikes

artsylola
01-19-2012, 07:20 PM
May I join? I took kbutts workshop last summer.

Jennie
01-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Wonderful Artsylola, Welcome to the swap can't wait to see what you make

Jennie
01-21-2012, 09:22 AM
People I just had a disaster with a set of cards. They weren't backed and wrapped around the edges. and were mangled in the mail. So upsetting to me. I hate this part of being a host.

You must back your cards with stiff paper and wrap the edges around to the back

Please read the instructions, and go to the 2 tutorials listed before sending your cards.
http://www.arttradermag.com/issues/ArtTrader_Issue8.pdf pages 6-10
Please also watch the you tube video by our wonderful MoonRose for techniques http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRkbqkVRy4 Here is another wonderful tutorial by moonrose Embossing Party http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQT6t...1&feature=plcp

Jennie
01-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi there all just bumping us up the page, I hate when we are on the bottom

Deblit
01-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Lurking. I have almost everything needed. Just have to find the time to do them.

moonrose442
01-22-2012, 03:40 AM
So sorry to hear that Jennie.

Jennie
01-22-2012, 08:56 AM
djl1050 hope that you join

Cat's Cradle
01-22-2012, 12:40 PM
People I just had a disaster with a set of cards. They weren't backed and wrapped around the edges. and were mangled in the mail. So upsetting to me. I hate this part of being a host.

You must back your cards with stiff paper and wrap the edges around to the back

Please read the instructions, and go to the 2 tutorials listed before sending your cards.
http://www.arttradermag.com/issues/ArtTrader_Issue8.pdf pages 6-10
Please also watch the you tube video by our wonderful MoonRose for techniques http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRkbqkVRy4 Here is another wonderful tutorial by moonrose Embossing Party http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQT6t...1&feature=plcp
Dang, Sarah! Those boxes are AWESOME! Still need to cut my foil and get to embossing. I'm thinking I'm gonna do mine the way KButts described in the Art Trader for my first go. I'm saving candle wax for filling later cards. :D

Jennie
01-22-2012, 01:07 PM
You're right Mel it's so important that you wrap the foil around the edge of the card and tape it down. It makes it stiff enough to hold up to the mail machines. They really are evil, and have big metal teeth that are just looking for something soft to bite into.

Cat's Cradle
01-22-2012, 01:23 PM
You're right Mel it's so important that you wrap the foil around the edge of the card and tape it down. It makes it stiff enough to hold up to the mail machines. They really are evil, and have big metal teeth that are just looking for something soft to bite into.
Just thought of a great tape for securing the tooling metal.....DUCK TAPE!! I have several different colors, plus I have paint markers for writing the info on the back. :D

Jennie
01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Wonderful! Mel. I just used blue painters tape and put a label on the back.

Jennie
01-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Just bumping us up the list- Traded one of my cards at the ARTzona gathering so I have to make another

Jennie
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Mail Call-
Wow! I rec'd cards from TLSexton- Awesome cards.

How is everyone else coming along?

Jennie
01-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Wonderful louiszee

Cat's Cradle
01-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Here's a finger-saving tip: When working with the metal sheeting while cutting and folding, wear cotton gloves. As an added bonus, you'll keep fingerprints off the metal. ;)

Jennie
01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Really good Idea. But then what's the fun, if there is no blood spilled. That just takes all of the fun away.:yes::laugh:

Cat's Cradle
01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
I spill enough blood doing everyday things like cooking, picking up paper, changing X-Acto blades, etc. I think I'll wear the gloves when handling the edges.

Jennie
01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I understand what you mean Mel, I'm good with everyday stuff. Not many mishaps. Now when I work with my glass that's a different story. It's those little slices that are the worst because they sting for days. The big gashes you slap a bandaid on and away you go.

Like I've always said, "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, Then it's hysterical."

Cat's Cradle
01-24-2012, 06:38 PM
You make a valid point, there Jennie. I always end up laughing hysterically when someone gets hurt....even when I broke my leg 4 1/2 years ago, I was laughing instead of crying. Just some sort of signal mix-up that a lot of people seem to have. ;)

Jennie
01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
When I taught the 7th grade youth group on Sundays that was our motto. We weren't your typical sunday school class. 7th graders get very wiggly and stop listening. Then we'd have an outing. Tp-ing the head pastor's personal restroom. How many 7th graders could fit in the trunk of my car, Having class standing in the elevator shaft like sardines. (after they put the elevator shaft, they couldn't afford the elevator). That type of stuff. They had to tell their parents something they learned that day from the lesson, and every week I'd hear from the parents that they would do that, so I knew they were listening.

Jennie
01-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Thank you Moonrose. Bless you for your faux sneeze

artkitty
01-26-2012, 04:34 PM
i have some fabulous metal just begging to be used, please add me.

Jennie
01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
So glad to add Catsie and artkitty. Please make sure that you watch the videos and read the article listed in the instructions. We've already had one person sadly send cards that got mangled. Don't want to ever tell another artist your cards are dead.:confused:

moonrose442
01-28-2012, 12:30 PM
If its got colors on one side silver on the other, it aluminum.

Jennie
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Great AKUA can't wait to see what you come up. When you are done please post them in your gallery or on the thread. We all love to take a gander at them.

Jennie
01-28-2012, 03:53 PM
That's hard when the coloring doesn't want to stay put, but it looks like you got it to adhere to the metal nicely. I love the subject he's a cute cat. I have to ask it's wrapped around a card and taped isn't it?

tlsexton0913
01-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Akua, what a cute little kitty!

Jennie
01-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I love the cat and his huge loveable heart

moonrose442
01-31-2012, 04:11 AM
well I just discovered how to know if you need to lose lbs. Its when your once sexy underwear now give you a muffin top. LOL

Jennie
01-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Uh, Oh, Muffin top panties.I'm sure they just shrunk in the wash

moonrose442
02-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Oh ok that has to be it!! :) lol

Jennie
02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
That darn drier is a real jokester. But just in case try buying one size up, just because they shrink

Anyone get any work done on their cards?

artkitty
02-02-2012, 12:30 AM
one...see others in gallery.

moonrose442
02-02-2012, 02:58 AM
nice!

Jennie
02-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Nice job kitty. the bird at the bottom is an unexspected item that made me smile

moonrose442
02-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Oh ya love the wheels. :) really wish there was a smile the dulled. :skeptical: because thats what I did when I looked at them.

I have one of the books from them, love it.

Jennie
02-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Ok dueling smiles http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent080.gif

Or drooling smiles http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-excited002.gif

Wasn't sure what you wanted

Jennie
02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Ok just a http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/fullersstuff/gifs/Bump25252520Smiley.gif

tlsexton0913
02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Jennie, is that a headache smilie? I sure hope you don't have one of those. :sad:

Jennie
02-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Not sure which smiley I bet the 2 dueling with hammers do. That would be great for a migraine. But no I'm just peachy http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen013.gif

tlsexton0913
02-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Can I use your bump smilie phrase for my two swap threads?

Jennie
02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Absolutely, I liked that one too.

moonrose442
02-06-2012, 02:51 AM
OMG how did you do that??? Loove the Drooling! LOL Im bad speller!

Jennie
02-06-2012, 08:36 AM
We all are moonrose, we really need auto correct on here

artkitty
02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
my metals are in the mail. :cute:

Jennie
02-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Wonderful I'll be looking for them

kbutts
02-09-2012, 02:11 AM
You might want to try metal repair tape (hardware store) to attach it to the card if the metal is 2.5" X 3.5". I usually cut all of my metal to 3" X 4" so that there is enough to wrap and tape or cover with my back label. I hope that helps.

Kimberly

I worked with some 36 gauge brass last night and really liked how easy it was to manipulate. I made a house for the little house swap and then found it did NOT want to stayed glued to the card. Any ideas for securing the metal to the ATC if you can't "wrap" it around anything?

BTW, Moonrose, it would be awesome if there were a thread in the "How to" forum for this topic! Hint, hint.

kbutts
02-09-2012, 02:28 AM
I finished this one several weeks ago but forgot to post it. I will try to create more next week.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/487/1_IMG_5083.jpg

Jennie
02-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Beautiful Kimberly

moonrose442
02-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Stopped by to say hi hello how are you.:)

Jennie
02-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi hello how are you? I have only rec'd 2 sets of cards. I'm finfishing mine today. i know I did it once but.... I traded at the Artzona. So I need to roll um out again.

Jennie
02-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Mail call- artkitty your wonderful cards have arrived. Thank youfor the extra

Cat's Cradle
02-11-2012, 01:48 PM
What has everyone used to cut the tooling foil initially? I keep looking at the roll and it kinda scares me. :confused:

Jennie
02-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I used a regular old scissor that I didn't cut fabric with. I did make another. Actually made 2 and ruined one when I overfilled it with hot glue
Here is mousie. I think I need to antique it a bit for it to show better.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/4_Scan.jpg
I've always have used lamp black to antique, anything that I might have that will work better?

artkitty
02-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Melissa,
I use scissors all the time to cut this metal. I have also used a paper cutter. :geek: I know what you mean about the roll. lol Once I get going, it's less intimidating. Just don't throw the scraps in a box with paper scraps...I was digging around in my scrap box and nearly cut off my finger.:shocked:

Jennie
02-11-2012, 08:35 PM
That is definitely true artkitty. It is sharp. I find that the copper is sharper, but easier to work with than the colored alluminum

artkitty
02-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Yay! I was beginning to worry. Which one are you keeping???:D

kbutts
02-12-2012, 03:23 AM
I use a metal ruler and an exacto knife to cut the foil. As for the roll...when I roll out a section I gently press on the center of the outside edge so that the foil will stay a bit more flat and not curl up on me while I am trying to cut.

Jennie
02-12-2012, 08:56 AM
The ruler is a good idea to keep it from rolling in on itself, even if you aren't using an exacto.

I made my last card last night. Working with the copper was wonderful. When I ran out an started using the black foil I realized how much easier the copper was. I finally worked on the black side of the metal to make it work. I tried a candle and everything to make the tools flow better. So for me it's copper all the way and the thicker the better.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/6_Scan.jpg

Cat's Cradle
02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I use a metal ruler and an exacto knife to cut the foil. As for the roll...when I roll out a section I gently press on the center of the outside edge so that the foil will stay a bit more flat and not curl up on me while I am trying to cut.
I'm thinking of snagging my hubby's T-square and using either an XActo or a utility knife. Still thinking about wearing cotton gloves, or my fingers will be all cut up.

moonrose442
02-12-2012, 12:46 PM
WOW Jennie love the bear!! The keys are so cool!! great Idea.
I just use any old scissors. and gloves are a good Idea.

Jennie
02-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Honestly Artkitty they are so great I don't know yet. I have a red and a green to decide on.

I'm going to use some alchohol ink to bring out some depth. Wipe it on and off antique job, but with color

Jennie
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM
I can't wear gloves and get anything done. Even with my glass work I never cut myself until I start to get tired and then I should stop. I've only had to do an urgent care trip once for a laceration. Still have an ugly scar on my thumb and completely changed my thumbprint. When I went to the doctor to have the stitches removed, which I should have just done myself, She was shocked at how dirty the outside wrap was. I was going to change it before but lost track of time and had been in the garden.

Cat's Cradle
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Jennie, your stories crack me up! http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10404/rotfl9.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Jennie
02-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Glad to be of service

kbutts
02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
If you think tooling foil is dangerous you should see my needle felting multi-tool:shocked:

Cat's Cradle
02-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Yeah. I've seen those. That's why I only use one needle at a time. :err:

Jennie
02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I tried felting. A friend lent me a needle and I used some of her roving. I was trying to make a heart and found i couldn't breath and had hives everywhere. That's when i realized that roving is wool. And I happen to be very allergic. i haven't tried acrylic roving has anyone else?

Cat's Cradle
02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Acrylic doesn't felt very well, as it's a man made fiber. You need natural fibers for proper felting.

Being allergic to wool, felting probably isn't a good craft for you, as most of the roving for felting is wool.

You can, however, get other natural fibers and try them.

alpaca (hypoallergenic, unless you have dander allergies)
silk (Tussah is worm safe)
llama (see alpaca note)

I've found that flax, linen and other plant fibers don't felt well
Also, on a safety note, you shouldn't use other people's felting needles, as there is the tendency to poke fingers with them. Better not to take chances.

Jennie
02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
All good to know. OOOO I used someone elses felting needle and never thougth of that

Cat's Cradle
02-14-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't even share my needles with my kids. Bought them their own.

That sounds really bad....:err: Felting needles!! I don't share my felting needles!

Jennie
02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Ok so back to this swap. What are you doing metal wise?

Cat's Cradle
02-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Still working up the courage to cut the tooling foil....:unsure:

Jennie
02-14-2012, 05:43 PM
OK anyone else?

kbutts
02-15-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm planning to create more this Thursday and Friday.
The theme for my live swap is gilded go I am going to make lots of metal cards for that swap too.

Jennie
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh how fun

Jennie
02-15-2012, 10:31 PM
To all of my wonderful newbies, and those of you who aren't new. Please put your site name on your work and your envelope. I'm middle aged, that means I'm starting senility, please don't make me hunt down who did what. Also, I was surprised to see that a lot of you don't use the gallery. Is there a better place that you are posting your wonderful art?

moonrose442
02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Sorry the scanter hates the metal. :)

Jennie
02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Sorry the scanter hates the metal. :)
And photos aren't any better. i'm lucky with this swap though because people probably will put a name on them. it was mainly the altered key swap. Which I rec'd incredible art from everyone. But unfortunately I spent an hour last night because I had 2 artists that It could have been from, and it turned out to be a 3rd. Funny.... it was strange, funny

tlsexton0913
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Jennie, I was wondering the same about why people don't post their work in their galleries or in the threads. I know some people keep their work on Flickr!

moonrose442
02-17-2012, 01:07 AM
sorry :(
well for me it was I had to move my HP out of the way to get to my desktop the the scanner work with. So really just lazy. lol But I got a HP scanner and well it works. It suck as a scanner / printer but it works. :) so Im not so lazy now.

Jennie
02-17-2012, 10:59 AM
I knew why people didn't post for this swap, I had to turn my scanner way way down to get what I got and there was still a glare. I sent the same post to all my swaps some are telling me that they don't have a blog site but a lot do and so now they are adding them. And some uuse flickr and need to add a button for that too. The key swap was just funny I had 3 sets left. 3 sets, with no first names, the cities in the profiles didn't match up, because they were something silly, and they weren't posted. I thought I had 1 figured out and that was wrong. Finally I found one girls first name on a return stuck under my address. Then the other 2 fell into place, only because I knew one person's style.

moonrose442
02-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Well the user name part well there is no reason for not having your name on your card or what ever your trading.
That sure bug me when trading.

Cat's Cradle
02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Jennie, this one is just intimidating me a bit too much right now. I need to withdraw. :(

Jennie
02-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Ok Mel, I might do it again and then you have the materials. It really isn't intimidating after you chop that big piece of foil, and mess a few up first. Now I bet there are artists here that did it first time out. Just not me. But I am sad to see you go.

Cat's Cradle
02-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks for understanding, Jennie. I'll try playing with the materials between now and then.

Tip for photographing metal: go outside, preferably on a slightly overcast day.

Put your camera in macro mode, no flash. Set up a paper or white sheet photo tent on a really sunny day to reduce glare. Get right up on your card, filling as much of your display screen as possible and snap. Take several shots, as they look different on the small screen than on your computer monitor.

I've photographed jewelry using this method, and the shots I took outside looked worlds better than the ones inside.

Jennie
02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm too tired to go to that much trouble to take a pic. But it's a smashing good Idea

Cat's Cradle
02-17-2012, 06:09 PM
For future reference. ;)

kbutts
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
I usually photograph my cards (metal included) near a window (or skylight) during the day. I turn the flash off and use macro mode. When I upload the image to iphoto I can edit the exposure (and other settings) if I need to.

Jennie
02-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Kimberly, as I told Mel, to hard. Editing? I just learned to crop not that long ago. I'm in that age range that working with computers for a woman was as a key punch operator. I did that for about a month. Quickly realized that it was boring and went back to being an auditor. We got our first computer in the house when I was like 30. My oldest was 5 and had been using the computer that my brother had. So we get this thing, DH knew what to do with no problem so did my 5 year old. So I would ask her when I got in a bind. Really only used it as a typewriter in the office job, and was so tired I could have cared less if it even needed dusting let alone learning about it. So about 2 or 3 years ago I became disabled and started to learn. Which is a pain, because I have a memory skill problem, I have notes taped all over this thing.

moonrose442
02-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Just get yourself a grand-baby. lol give the kid 3mounths an it will know everything you need to know.
Thats what I got my Mom. :)

Jennie
02-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Oh, please I have a 26 year old that is not ready for babies. If it happened she wouldn't be upset, but she's a career girl and doesn't have her own resturant yet. and the other.... well I know that she doesn't want babies and God would possibly do better not to give many if at all.

Jennie
02-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Can't wait to see them

moonrose442
02-19-2012, 02:30 AM
I adopted a young man at work as my son. (Hes got a little one) I could be his mom, but I was a good girl at 16. :embarrassed::biglaugh: No really I was. :shocked:

Jennie
02-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Well I have one of Michael's cousins who is supposed to be moving here with her family she has 4 children and he has 2 others. A Lovely family. I reakky am looking forward to that.

moonrose442
02-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Yep:) I bet the kid can program the tv, camcorder, computer and dvd play to work by 1 remote. Lol

Jennie
02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Just bumping us up the page

moonrose442
02-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Im here for you jenni. :err: I think Im running out of smart ass thing to say. mmmmmm

Jennie
02-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Now moonrose, you run out.... So what do you think our next strange material swap should be. Did Fabric and metal, sent wooden ATCs for artists choice. So now I need ideas. I thought about polymer clay, duct tape (but we'd end up with so much left), painted glass (very well wrapped) Glass mosaics on illustration board, Any suggestions?

moonrose442
02-23-2012, 12:47 AM
What about thicker clear plastic? instead of glass. I'd do that!

Jennie
02-23-2012, 08:17 AM
that would work. Glass is my maine medium but I forget it doesn't mail well. Have you worked with resin? how ig of a mess is that?

How is the pencil box you were working on? you never showed us. If you do plexi glass it would be hard for most to cut, and nothing is worse than ragged edges. what were you thinking

moonrose442
02-23-2012, 01:53 PM
resin is picky. it smells its sticky its tricky. but lovely if you can get it to work for you.
Its not for a beginner. Some paint, markers and art mediums act funny with it. I can not use it at this time of year, too cold on borch and coco the bunny is out there. (to smelly for him.)

The plexi glass I think you can see if your hardware store will cut it. You would have to sand it, I would start with 40g and the 150g then 200g ending with 600. It doent have to be flat out just not ruff really.

But Im going to play with another way that I think every one could do. Its transparent wrapping paper and Gallery glass (crystal clear color) Kind of like what we did for wrapping the tin in this swap but with colored paper or card board.

As for the box its all tinned out and I need to line it. So the tops not on yet. Im have trouble figuring out the line it. I made a compartment. And I cant put the top on until I have the liner in. I cant use it with out a liner because the tin is exposed. I just dont think it would be fun to get cut ever time I reach for a pencil. LOL I can show you all tonight when home again what the pieces look like.

Jennie
02-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Would love to see it even unfinished.
i love the gallery glass idea. my girls did it all the time when they were younger. The paint isn't too expensive either and all you really need is paint, a brush and a piece of plastic. The only people who make it is Plaid.
But I love the idea of layering color cards, maybe something in the middle, and paint backwards on the cello. A lot of stained glass of old, is done backwards so it shines through to the other side. It's difficult. I've tried it once andit was easy to start with the eyes and little things and then paint the next layer, but when I had to paint it going to other way so it could be seen from both sides it was hard to replicate. Let me know what you find

moonrose442
02-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I sure will.

Jennie
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Good evening all! just bumping us up to the top

moonrose442
02-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Here you go. the top of that box, I did a black widow on left side. cant really see her. she ok. I didnt like other bug I did in my test so for the box I went with a zen like web.

Jennie
02-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Wow, gorgeous work. I love it

tlsexton0913
02-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Moonrose442, that box is gorgeous. How do you do the inside?

Jennie
02-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Actually Tammy she said a few days ago that she actually hadn't yet, maybe by now it's done. But wow she is so good at this

moonrose442
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
No its not. Im still thrying to think of how to do it so it looks nice. I think Im just going to have to cove it and say oh welll. if it come out not the best.

Jennie
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
What does cove mean.

You are doing it with fabric, stitch the five sides together for each compartment, make the sides 1/2 inch taller, when you put it in, use only a drop of glue to hold it on the bottom on each corner, fold over the one edge to cover the compartment edge and then and press your top edges over and glue. That way you glue over your raw edge Maybe sew in a pocket on one side first to hold the eraser. the top should be about the same. Where your hinges are that doesn't have the tin, use some silver leaf to fake it. Have you ever lined a wooden cello stand? after that you can cover or line anything.

Jennie
02-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Well Louisezee we were on subject we were discussing the incredible box that moonrose made with this technique

moonrose442
02-26-2012, 12:45 PM
It would work if it was just wood I was covering. But the metal is what has to be covered. There's more to it then I can write.

and the spelling was the smart ass phone. :)

Jennie
02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Sure blame the phone...

Would glue stick better to the metal if you sanded the parts that have to be covered? and honestly for the lip of the box, I would use foam board or wood to fill that in and make it all one face. That deletes having to go up and over a lip. Send me pics to study, that are better than these, now I can't stop thinking about it.

Jennie
02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Wonderful cards Louisezee

Ibus
02-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Jennie, I'm really sorry, but I need to withdraw. My finances are so bad I cannot afford to take part in swops at the moment (they've gone downhill since I joined) :sad:

Jennie
02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Again who sorry it is to loose you, Perhaps another swap soon

Jennie
02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Just bumping us up the line

Jennie
02-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Mail Call: rec'd beautiful cards from Louisezee, thank you for the extra absolutely love glyph

Jennie
03-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Glad you like them....the glyph is a BC design taken from a petroglyph here on the coast. BTW... 2 weeks later, I still have tingly feelings at the tips of my finger/thumb from doing those....do you think it is because some of the copper was too thick? anyway, I think it is slowly going away.
Personally, tingling fingers is not a good thing, and is more likely due to the way you hunched over while doing them. In certain possitions you can pinch small nerves that will make the tips fingers go numb. If it continues, see your doctor for further medical assistance.

The metal looks to be the perfect thickness for this application, anything thicker would have been too thick and anything thinner would have easily ripped through

OK, Everyone that hasn't mailed their cards, you have one week to get them here.
As the count would say. 7 seven heavenly days 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Jennie
03-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I have exactly half the cards.

kbutts
03-04-2012, 01:17 AM
I actually finished mine a few days ago, but needed to get photos.

Jennie, can you PM me with your addy?

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/487/large/1_IMG_6509.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/487/large/1_IMG_6507.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/487/large/2_IMG_5083.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/487/large/1_IMG_6508.jpg

tlsexton0913
03-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Kimberly, your cards are amazing! I LOVE the sea horse!

Jennie
03-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Kimberly your cards are marvelous
Can't wait to see them IRL

Jennie
03-04-2012, 09:09 AM
OK, Everyone that hasn't mailed their cards, you have one week to get them here.
6 days 1,2,3,4,5,6

moonrose442
03-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Cool beans can't wait.:D

Jennie
03-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Still need the post office to deliver cards from
Artstlola
Catsie
DenaCottrel
kbutts
AKUA

Jennie
03-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Ok I still need cards from these people. I can't wait.
Still need the post office to deliver cards from
Artsyola
DenaCottrel
kbutts- has address
AKUA- has address

Only 3 Spectacular days left

artsylola
03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I need to withdraw. I've taken on too much in life right now and am having trouble keeping up.

Jennie
03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I understand Artsyola