PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in an elephant-a-thon?

CynthiaSillitoe
01-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Updated--Friday May 4th--through Sunday May 6th (and possibly Monday, too. :))

Ok, I don't know if athons are even ever done this way, but....I love elephants and there seem to be quite a few others here that do. What I'm proposing is an all-types-of-art (atart) but all the artwork would be about elephants. Does that sound weird or fun? Or at least more fun than weird? I thought about doing a swap, but I don't feel up to hosting it and then I thought....maybe an athon?

I'm thinking about the beginning of April, but I could be flexible about that. My only request is that it be at least a couple of weeks after the Valentine-a-thon, so we'd all be recovered from that fun, and not be during the weekend of June 13-17 because I'm going to Portland (yay!)

So, if you love elephants and would want to play, would you post and give me some idea of what days would be good for you. I don't need a lot of info, just if we have a lot of people for who (whom?) week days are better than I might schedule it so half the athon is week days and half weekend or if you know you're going to have weekends that wouldn't be good.

Of course, you can also just tell me I'm nuts and I'll give those nuts to the nearest elephant. :biglaugh:

sniisk
01-26-2012, 02:44 AM
We had a bird-a-thon maybe 1.5 years ago. Why not an elephant-a-thon :).

I'm afraid there will be again an Easter-a-thon and Easter is at the beginning of April (four days in Europe and Australia). Maybe not worth to put it too near by it either.

Moosecastle
01-26-2012, 03:52 AM
We are so gonna need an athon when everyone is in Portland!!! A comforting athon? ;)

Cathy1
01-26-2012, 03:56 AM
An ellie-thon - what fun. More food for the addiction :D

lilbad
01-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Sounds like fun!

CynthiaSillitoe
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Oh, good. Glad it's got some appeal. :) Sanna, yes, I figure (and hope) there will be an Easter ATART or something. So we could set it in March sometime or late February or late April/early May although we might want to avoid Mother's Day. I will keep thinking and hope we'll get more feedback, too.

Ibus
01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
I'll play if my finances have recovered. :sad: My daughter's due mid-April and so I'll be going to the Netherlands then for a couple of weeks.

CynthiaSillitoe
01-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Ibus, how does May sound?

Ibus
01-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Sounds great!

CynthiaSillitoe
01-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Ok, that's what I'm thinking now. Of course, we could always have more than one. :)

Ibus
01-27-2012, 05:36 AM
:laugh: You can never have enough elephants!

dmnh
01-27-2012, 08:46 AM
One can never have too many elephants!
I'd play in a elle-a-thon! Doesn't matter to me when it is.

CynthiaSillitoe
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Ok, great! I'm thinking May 4-6, Friday-Sunday. That's the weekend before Mother's Day.

Theresagram
01-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Sounds like fun!

CynthiaSillitoe
01-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Cool. I'm sure we can get enough players. (I'll be tracking a few more down.) I'll get it on the schedule. :)

KESagers
01-28-2012, 12:00 AM
This sounds like fun. I cut out some elephant images awhile ago - I'll have to dig around for them.

lilbad
01-28-2012, 11:24 AM
I have already started looking for some ellies!!

WeAre138
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd play. I made a set of elephant cards about a year ago and they were fun :)

KESagers
01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I just found my elephant images. :)

CynthiaSillitoe
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Yay! I've been thinking about looking for some clip art. I also have some elephant rubber stamps I need to unbury. (You'd think they'd use their tusks and unbury themselves.)

jo.on.the.go
01-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Sounds like fun to me! I'll be there for the party.

Nancy
01-29-2012, 10:32 PM
I will play........Since it is primary election time in Florida my mailbox is full of elephants every day.....Guess that I had better start clipping instead of trashing!

Wil Opio Oguta
01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Sounds good. I better start collecting stuff -:)

CynthiaSillitoe
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Yay, lovely to have so much interest. I'll be sure to do a siggie early so people will remember to gather up the elephant stuff....or if you're going to paint or draw, find an elephant to model. :)

Cathy1
01-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Can we do chunkies as well???

KESagers
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
That's a good question - is it all types of art?

Moosecastle
01-31-2012, 03:54 AM
I think elephant is the common theme; everything else is up to us:)

CynthiaSillitoe
01-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Yes, in fact that's why I wanted to do ATART. Some of my elephant stash will fit better on chunkies than atcs. Definitely anything goes.

KESagers
01-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Cool!

jaw
03-15-2012, 12:31 PM
tinab ~ an "athon" is a time that you make and post and trade art "live" during the same time around the world ... there is a St Patrick's one that started today ... check it out!!
click here (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1202939#post1202939)

CynthiaSillitoe
03-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Yep, and there's one at Easter, and then the elephant-a-thon! :)

KESagers
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
I am getting all my elephant stamps together.

CynthiaSillitoe
03-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Yay! I've been gathering stuff up, but also buying new stuff using the athon as an excuse. :)

Suze
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I know I'm not the most reliable(as far as making alot of cards ) a thoner on the block, but I do sooooo love a thons and I love elephants. and I love all the a thoners, goofy , fun, creative bunch!
so I'm looking forward to this, thanks Cyn for thinking it up....

CynthiaSillitoe
03-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm glad you like it. :) I'll send out reminder PMs in April, as I know an athon with such a specific theme is a little harder to just show up for. (It's also--I'm discovering--a great excuse to buy rubber stamps. Not that I need an excuse, but...in addition to digging out some I already have, I've bought a couple, thinking, "Well, there is the athon after all...") :)

Theresagram
03-22-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm looking forward to this too! :)

CynthiaSillitoe
03-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Yay! :)

Janjo33
04-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Let me jump on here! Hopefully I can participate - sometimes my weekends are busy with other activities.

Moosecastle
04-06-2012, 12:43 AM
I have started to fill an envelope with elephants of all sorts :D

CynthiaSillitoe
04-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Let me jump on here! Hopefully I can participate - sometimes my weekends are busy with other activities.

We might go through Monday if that would help. I'm also thinking about hosting one later this summer and having some weekdays in that. I know weekends tend to fill up.

I have started to fill an envelope with elephants of all sorts :D

Yay!

jaw
04-06-2012, 09:19 PM
what date are you thinking now? ... (can you update your first post cuz I'm suffering from "old-timers"?) :wacko:

sniisk
04-07-2012, 03:38 AM
I think the date is in the calendar. Is it?

sniisk
04-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Yes, it's in the a-thon calendar: Elephant All Types of Art a-thon-May 4-6.

CynthiaSillitoe
04-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I'll update it on the first post. :)

KESagers
04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
A reminder that here is the free image blog site:

http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/

I've downloaded all of the elephant images and I think it would be fun to see how several of us use the same images if we happen to print the same ones. :)

Moosecastle
04-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Good idea! Adding one I found on my computer:

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/moosecastle/smmatchbook.jpg

grrrdjules
04-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Did someone say elephant?????

dsign49
04-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Elephants I will keep it in mind. May 4th to 6th.

Ewerhof
04-18-2012, 05:27 AM
*starting up a file i the brain with only elephants* :yes:

Moosecastle
04-18-2012, 07:55 AM
yesterday 2 elephants walked away from their circus, into a normal living area. One man saw something grey out the corner of his eye, turned and saw an elephant! The circus people were running around with the chains trying to coax the elephants back. It took a little time, but in the end they went along:D

CynthiaSillitoe
04-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, elephants will do that. Actually, I learned a new elephant fact which is that their biggest food weakness is citrus. Some sanctuaries forbid bringing in citrus because wild elephants will smell it and come to visit. It also makes a good lure, though, if you want to divert an elephant to another place. Just create a trail of oranges. :)

Glad folks are excited about this. I am very psyched. I'll send out some reminder PMs, too, and I hope maybe we can do another in late summer or fall. I love the idea of elephants taking over AFA. :)

CynthiaSillitoe
04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Apologies if I sent anyone negative rep. I ought to know how to leave rep by now. :(

Janjo33
04-18-2012, 08:53 PM
:notworthy:

I love the idea of elephants taking over AFA. :)

HiddenTreasure2010
04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
I'll be there with bells on!....

Ibus
04-19-2012, 07:41 AM
I've been looking forward to this, but won't be able to take part now. I'll be in the Netherlands meeting my (still to be born) grandchild!

Moosecastle
04-19-2012, 08:22 AM
bring him/her a toy elephant ;)

CynthiaSillitoe
04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
No worries, Ibus. We'll have another one in a few months. :)

minnkel
04-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Probably not going to be able to play in this one. I'm not fully recovered from the latest ones (moths flying out of pocketbook!) LOL!! But if I can get some time free you just never know........

Just an FYI about ellies. They actually did a piece on MythBusters to see if elephants were really afraid of mice. And YES...they are!!! :wideeyed: They would alter their well-worn path to avoid one. It was absolutely fascinating. I had wondered if it was just a myth or children's tale but it is an actual reality! Silly ellies!!:cute:

KESagers
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I had no idea - that's pretty wild!

CynthiaSillitoe
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Probably not going to be able to play in this one. I'm not fully recovered from the latest ones (moths flying out of pocketbook!) LOL!! But if I can get some time free you just never know........

Just an FYI about ellies. They actually did a piece on MythBusters to see if elephants were really afraid of mice. And YES...they are!!! :wideeyed: They would alter their well-worn path to avoid one. It was absolutely fascinating. I had wondered if it was just a myth or children's tale but it is an actual reality! Silly ellies!!:cute:

Well, at least come have some Baileys. And then you can come to the next one. :)

That's funny about mice. I wonder what it is about them, like if there size creates a peripheral vision issue or what. (I know rhinos have very poor vision and are really anxious because of it.)

Another ellie myth that's true is that they can't jump. On Animal Planet, they had a show about this reporter at a zoo who the elephant seemed to hate on sight. When she got aggressive, he was smart enough to jump into a kind of moat, leaving a sharp concrete drop between him and the elephant so she couldn't get at him. But he wasn't always smart. He came back later to do a report (this time outside her fence) and she threw things through the fence at him. Uh, yeah, they really don't forget.

sniisk
04-24-2012, 01:52 PM
I won't be able to play. I have huge amount of work to do and more and more work is waiting for me because I cannot do much at the moment because of my back. My back is still in a bad condition and I have to use very strong pain killers.

CynthiaSillitoe
04-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Ouchies! No problem, feel better!

Moosecastle
04-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Feel better Sanna!

:wubclub:

minnkel
04-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Well, at least come have some Baileys. And then you can come to the next one. :)

That's funny about mice. I wonder what it is about them, like if there size creates a peripheral vision issue or what. (I know rhinos have very poor vision and are really anxious because of it.)

Another ellie myth that's true is that they can't jump. On Animal Planet, they had a show about this reporter at a zoo who the elephant seemed to hate on sight. When she got aggressive, he was smart enough to jump into a kind of moat, leaving a sharp concrete drop between him and the elephant so she couldn't get at him. But he wasn't always smart. He came back later to do a report (this time outside her fence) and she threw things through the fence at him. Uh, yeah, they really don't forget.

HEY!! You break out the Bailey's and I'll be here for sure!!

Never thought about elephants jumping or not. Interesting!!!......and too funny about the reporter. Although he might have missed the humor in it! LOL!!

I can't remember what tree it was but there was a documentary ages ago about the trees around some watering hole where the animals would congregate in droves when the fruit was ripe. In fact, overripe was preferred. The elephants all got plastered! A drunk ellie is a scream. I laughed till tears ran down my cheeks. Would love to see it again.........

minnkel
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I guess all the animals got plowed. Found a YouTube video that is probably from that documentary. You gotta see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e12y8alpApg

lilbad
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Is this still on for May 4?

CynthiaSillitoe
04-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Yep, 4-6th. :) Come play!

Love the drunk elephants, Kelly! It's like elephant happy hour. Whenever I see a documentary where an elephant--or any animal for that matter--is darted with an anesthetic, I wonder if it winds up being like an X-Files experience? Like one time they tranquilized and then flew by helicopter (with the elephant dangling from the helicopter, not sitting in it) a bull elephant to another part of the country. I picture him waking up, totally out of it, and then trying to tell his friends that he'd been abducted and this metal bird carried him to the other side of the country, and meanwhile the other elephants are laughing at him. "Oh, yeah, that's Sam. Ask him about his encounter with the big, metal bird."

CynthiaSillitoe
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll be opening the official thread tomorrow....early, I know, but I managed to get things in my life so scheduled so that I'd have the weekend free that it might be the only time I get to open it in time for the early birds. :) Of course, you can do prep like backgrounds beforehand. I've already stamped some of my elephant rubber stamps out on paper, plus rounded up clip art, die-cuts, postage stamps. And you may even see elephant drawings from me as it's one of my best "Draw Something" words. (Actually, I draw elephants for three Draw Something words: elephant, tusk, trunk.)

Hope everyone else is as jazzed as I am! Hmmm....jazz elephants......

Moosecastle
04-30-2012, 03:45 PM
:spinny::v_spin::jiggy:

Jewels
04-30-2012, 09:00 PM
SO this starts tomorrow?

CynthiaSillitoe
04-30-2012, 10:21 PM
No, it starts Friday whatever time zone you're in. It's just that I've managed to get myself overscheduled at the time it will be Friday in New Zealand, so I'll start the thread early and we'll chat or wait for it to be Friday or something. :)

Cathy1
04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Can't forget us Kiwis - always first to see the sun LOL

minnkel
05-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Yep, 4-6th. :) Come play!

Love the drunk elephants, Kelly! It's like elephant happy hour. Whenever I see a documentary where an elephant--or any animal for that matter--is darted with an anesthetic, I wonder if it winds up being like an X-Files experience? Like one time they tranquilized and then flew by helicopter (with the elephant dangling from the helicopter, not sitting in it) a bull elephant to another part of the country. I picture him waking up, totally out of it, and then trying to tell his friends that he'd been abducted and this metal bird carried him to the other side of the country, and meanwhile the other elephants are laughing at him. "Oh, yeah, that's Sam. Ask him about his encounter with the big, metal bird."

ROFLOL!!!! Oh what an amusing mental picture!!!! LOVE IT!!! Poor Sam.....

CynthiaSillitoe
05-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Ok, this is set up. Gotta add some links. Anyone see anything I missed?

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1228599#post1228599

Ibus
05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
HEY!! You break out the Bailey's and I'll be here for sure!!

I can't remember what tree it was but there was a documentary ages ago about the trees around some watering hole where the animals would congregate in droves when the fruit was ripe. In fact, overripe was preferred. The elephants all got plastered! A drunk ellie is a scream. I laughed till tears ran down my cheeks. Would love to see it again.........

I know Jamie Uys filmed that for one of his films Beautiful People (1974) and as you say it was hilarious. However I read recently that that isn't actually true, they spiked the marula fruit to get that result.