PDA

View Full Version : CANCELLED Spring Midwest Gathering Saturday, May 5 CANCELLED

lini
02-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Pennyquilter and I have decided to cancel this gathering for a number of reasons, but mainly because of lack of interest. Sorry, but if anyone wants to organize a gathering in Michigan, we would probably attend.

So far there are only four of us planning to attend. Anyone else interested, please let us know. We are going to have to decide whether or not to go ahead with this.

ARE YOU PLANNING TO JOIN US? WE NEED TO KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SINCE WE ARE UNABLE TO USE THE SITE WE WERE PLANNING TO USE AND WE NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY ARE COMING AS WE LOOK FOR ANOTHER SITE. POST HERE IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO COME OR PM LINI OR PENNYQUILTER!

Let's have a midwest gathering this spring in Michigan.

Pennyquilter and Lini invite you to spend time in Charlotte, Michigan. Charlotte is just south of Lansing, the state capitol, halfway between Lansing and Grand Rapids There are three exits off I-69 and three hotels.

Come join us Saturday, May 5. We will have some demos! Time to chat and make art. Meet your fellow AFA members. Whatever you would enjoy doing! We are open to suggestions.

This is short notice, so post here soon if you are interested.

And, you don't have to be from Michigan, or even the midwest or even the USA. Michigan isn't very far from Canada.

goatgoddess
02-17-2012, 04:58 PM
darn mth end is April 28th

I'm just going to go and pout now...........

lini
02-18-2012, 11:16 AM
GG - tell them at work that you can't be there. Come stay with me and we will visit our place of birth. What better reason to come back to Michigan.

lini
02-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Come on you midwesterners...let us know if you are interested in this. If there is enough interest, we need to get busy arranging it.

Art By Camilla
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Darn it, I'll be in an arm sling then. Not much good to drive, or for art. :(
I thought you were considering May?

lini
02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
We could probably change it to the first weekend in May. Penny always has so many committments - she preferred the last weekend in April. I'll talk to her when she gets home tomorrow. If we did that, we could probably get Goatgoddess to come.

lini
02-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Where are the Michigan people. You are the only one who has responded to this Camilla. I am getting PMs from out of state people, but not Michigan. Go figure!

Art By Camilla
02-19-2012, 02:41 PM
My post-op check with the surgeon isn't until May 1st - I'm hoping he'll give me the all clear to drive then, but I don't know. It will depend on how I'm healing. I've having a bone spur removed from my left (I am left-handed) shoulder, and that will affect my driving, my art work, everything I use that hand and arm for. So it's hard for me to make plans late April/early May.

Pennyquilter
02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Can someone drive you here (Dana lives near you) I can come only on Saturday the first week-end of May because granddau. is making her first communion that Sunday. The following Sunday is Mother's Day.
We want you to come Camilla since you are one that is interested. I think Dewtee wants to come also.

Art By Camilla
02-20-2012, 01:17 AM
My boyfriend is coming from out of town to help take care of me, and will still be here then. I don't want to abandon him for a weekend! What about later in May? I'm more likely to be about to drive then. I think the 19th/20th are clear of holiday conflicts.

Jewels
02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I could probably only come for one of the days (Saturday) but I believe I'd be interested in coming. Sounds like you're still hashing out the dates though.

ScrapPea
02-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Hi. Thanks for the PM. I posted in social group and will reply here also. I would LOVE to do something, and my first choice is anytime April. I say that because it was held last year, and the idea of an Annual April get-together is something we could all put on our calendars in years to come.

Uh, just checked calendar. Cannot do May 4-5-6 because my Sketchbook Project book is touring, hits Chicago, am planning to go with husband or friends or all. The next weekend, Mother's Day, is the big annual scrapbook convention MegaMeet. My friends and I do not miss this event AND I'm teaching Zentangle this year. (woot!)

Any ideas for a tentative itinerary? Where would people stay? Regardless, I'm in!

ArtDuJunque
02-21-2012, 09:24 AM
It's a little far for a day trip for me. Hubbs and I were talkng about a mini vacation at some point. Is there something around there for a bored hubby to do while I'm doing Arts -R-Us?

Pennyquilter
02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
We are just 20 minutes from Lansing where there is a Lowes and all those other big box stores. In Charlotte is Johnson's Lumber, which is always interesting for the men. We have the courthouse museum (where we might hold the gathering). I'll think of some other things too. We hope you will be able to attend ArtDuJunque.

lunamoth
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I am an interested Michigander. I went to the gathering last year and had a great time, met super folks and learned lots of new things.

I have several things semi planned for that time period with some details being beyond my control, so I can't say for sure at this time. If timing works out, I'd love to come again this year. I'll follow this thread.

Pennyquilter
02-21-2012, 03:25 PM
We hope it will work out for you Anne. I enjoyed last years event. Dana will come if it isn't graduation that week-end. She didn't say which week-end.

Art By Camilla
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I think I know where Dana teaches. If I am correct, according to their website, spring commencement is Saturday April 28, 2012.

Art By Camilla
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
For those of you in southern Michigan, there is also some interest in trying to put together a Toledo, Ohio area gathering this spring, too. http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22531

Pennyquilter
02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
That's what I was afraid of. We maybe should go to the first week-end of May - sounds like that is when most of you can make it. We will keep updating this thread.
Lini's thinking others might come from out of state if we hold it in June.

Pennyquilter
02-21-2012, 04:05 PM
As of 3:00 p.m. today I have the following people down as interested depending on which week-end:
Camilla
Jewels
ScrapPea
ArtDuJunque
LunaMoth
Dana
Lini
Pennyquilter

Art By Camilla
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
This is the part I hate. Trying to find a date that works for everyone. Maybe we'd do better trying for a one-day event, instead of a full weekend?

ScrapPea
02-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Hmmmmm. I'm going over to the Toledo thread, too, to check it out. See what's up with them. That could influence our date? Should we do a poll and send out to everyone in the MI Social Group? (That could open a can of worms, I realize.)

Pennyquilter
02-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Do you gals want a one day or a two day event?

ScrapPea
02-21-2012, 10:50 PM
I could do either at this point in time. I like the two-day aspect myself. Gives us time to have more activities or social interaction.

Art By Camilla
02-22-2012, 02:24 AM
I can do either one or two days, most weekends (of course, as you all know by now, my attendance is a wild card, based on the recovery time after my surgery). The only big advantage I see to a one-day, is that it opens up the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend as an option then. However, a two-day event also requires more planning/workshops. That can be good or bad, depending on available instructors. A two day event can also be more expensive for people, if they choose to spend the night locally, rather than commute.

Do you have a list yet of potential workshop topics? I found that posting a poll last year was very helpful in narrowing down a rather broad list to four specific workshops. Of course, it would be best to do this AFTER we have chosen a date, so people know if they are coming or not, in order to vote.

Just my two cents!

ArtDuJunque
02-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Just found out that I am doing my college graduation walk on May 4. So that day/night is out for me.

Pennyquilter
02-24-2012, 04:21 PM
OKAY - It's a final!

Our gathering will be held on Saturday, May 5 from 9:00 - 5:00 at the Charlotte City Hall, downtown Charlotte, Michigan.
Come the whole time or part of it.
We need volunteers to do demonstrations.
Everyone bring a snack to share.
Lunch on your own.
There will be a quilt show at Courthouse Square and there is
a lovely quilt and craft shop in walking distance, called the HEN HOUSE!
RSVP as soon as you know you can attend.

Art By Camilla
02-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Put me down as a possible attendee at this point. It will depend on what the surgeon says at my post-op on May 1st. Don't know if I'll be cleared for travel, and for using the arm.

Is there a registration fee?

ScrapPea
02-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Put me down as tentative, too. My Sketchbook Project tours in Chicago that weekend, but not sure which day(s) or if I'll go. I'm anxiously awaiting details of what's going on with this event!

Pennyquilter
02-24-2012, 11:03 PM
It's Free admission. LOL!

Jewels
02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Tentative for me too. I have check a couple things but I think that date will work for me.

I've never been to one of these get-togethers. How do these things work anyway? Demonstrations by the different participants? Challenges? Does everyone bring a bunch of stuff to show or trade?

Art By Camilla
02-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Jewels, due to injury, I'm not on the planning crew this year, so I don't know what they have in mind for workshops/demos.

Last year we met for two days. Each day had 2 workshops, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. There was plenty of time to trade, shop in the store we were in (no longer in business unfortunately - I was hoping we'd found a permanent home), visit, and generally have a good time. Each workshop was led by a volunteer instructor, who taught us how to do something new. We had Watercolor Pencil techniques, Distressed Techniques, Zentangles, and Chunky Book Pages, which we traded with each other. The workshops were hands-on, so it was necessary to bring your tools and supplies, though many things were shared, too.

Hope this helps :)

Pennyquilter
02-25-2012, 11:31 AM
If anyone is interested, I am thinking about teaching flower-pounding and Alcohol Inks. We only need one more demo or two if they are short.
Everyone start making ATC's to swap.

Art By Camilla
02-26-2012, 12:22 PM
WHAt is flower-pounding? I'd love to figure out what do with the alcohol inks I just HAD to buy (a YEAR ago) and have yet to decide how to use them! I need to use up my hoard, so something on alcohol inks would be great!

Art By Camilla
02-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Pennyquilter,

Are the demos going to be hands on? Will we be making things too? Or just watching and learning for future reference?

Pennyquilter
02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Hands on Camilla. For the flower-pounding I could use some solid wood cutting boards - something you wouldn't want to use for food afterwards - and a hammer. We will be pounding on both paper and cloth. Can use the images for atcs or chunkies.

I have one board and a couple hammers.
I have all the supplies for the alcohol inks. You can bring your set too if you want to.

Pennyquilter
02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Anyone have an other ideas for demos?

lini
02-27-2012, 10:38 PM
For more information, look at the Michigan Social Group. Let's keep bumping this up!

Jewels
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
I've never worked much with inks. Will there be some kind of run through of the different inks and their uses?

Art By Camilla
02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Pennyquilter, I've got a hammer, but no wood cutting boards :( how wide does it need to be? what about scraps of 2x4s? Most hubbies have those in the garage!

Art By Camilla
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Jewels, I think we are working specifically with alcohol inks. They are a Tim Holz product made by Adirondak. http://www.joann.com/search/_alcohol_ink/

(Pennyquilter or Lini, correct me if I am wrong!)

lini
02-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Flower pounding is so much fun and a piece of plywood would work. I would think you would need at least a 12x12" piece of wood at the minimum. And you need a hammer with a flat head. And, you need fresh flowers and greens. The only trouble with flower pounding is that the color fades just as it does when you dry flowers, but the results are amazing. Check it out on Google. Penny made a beautiful quilt...I think it's in her gallery

Pennyquilter
02-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Pennyquilter, I've got a hammer, but no wood cutting boards :( how wide does it need to be? what about scraps of 2x4s? Most hubbies have those in the garage!

We will share my food chopping block. There won't be that many of us.

Pennyquilter
02-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I'll furnish the flowers, unless someone has a flowering tree or garden flowers ready by then. We don't need much.

lini
02-28-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't know anything about alcohol inks...that's Penny's deal! LOL!

Pennyquilter
02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
That would be great. I sure hope you can come May 5.

Pennyquilter
02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Have any of you tried the peeling paint method for ATCs?

Jewels
02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
I've tried it in journals. Great technique but the oily residue from the vaseline sometimes makes it difficult to glue things to it.

Pennyquilter
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Plywood is too soft for pounding flowers. It has to be a hard wood. I also could demo making your own home-made paper. If it is a nice day, we could do it outside. We need air for it to dry fast.

Art By Camilla
02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
We had a bunch of folks get together last spring at Dana's house to do papermaking. Pennyquilter, I think you were there? As I recall, it was a pretty messy, space consuming process!

Pennyquilter
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
I make my paper in small boxes (dip method). Just gets some water around. You don't even have to touch the pulp.....but for using a room at city hall, I think that project is out.
We'll have plenty to do anyhow.

ScrapPea
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Alcohol inks would be great. I took Tim Holtz's class at MegaMeet two years ago and ended up with one (or two?) inks from that class. Honestly, I forget the subtleties of how to use it. I know you can touch-up/spot color black and white glossy photos. ("The cheap dollar store paper is perfect," he said.)

In that same vein, what about Copic markers (or other alcohol markers)? My husband bought me a set of Copics--unrequested, mind you, but such a sweet thought--and I'm only kinda sorta figuring out what to do with them.

Are the two similar enough to combine into one overall usage of alcohol ink products?

Art By Camilla
02-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I just bought some Copics, too, and I haven't a clue how to best make use of them! I'd be interested in something about working with them, as well as learning about alcohol inks, either together as one class, or as two separate events.

Pennyquilter
02-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I've never used Copics. Maybe someone coming can show us.

lini
03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Are you coming to this meeting? PM me or Pennyquilter if you are. The site Penny found for us is no longer available and we need to know who is planning to come so we can act accordingly. If we don't have some replies within the next week or so, we will probably cancel, so let us know.

Pennyquilter
03-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Everyone get your reservations (no charge) in to Lini soon. She only has written down on her list Jewels and her mother.

lini
03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Anyone out there? Hello! I hope to hear from some of you! PM me or Pennyquilter if you are interested in joining us on Saturday, May 5! So far there are only 4 of us planning to attend. We need more peeps to join us!

ArtDuJunque
03-19-2012, 12:37 AM
I just don't know. Hubby and I are spending "Star Wars Day" together. I am graduating that afternoon and we're going to go out for supper and a movie to celebrate. Not sure yet about the rest of the weekend.

ScrapPea
03-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone. I'm back from an out-of-town funeral and catching up on everything, ATCs being the last pieces.

I soooooo want to attend, but I need to hear back from my Chicago friends to see if/when I can stay with them so I can see the Sketchbook Tour that week. Hopefully I'll know within a week.

Pennyquilter
04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
I hope those of you who wanted to attend saw the first post that this gathering has been canceled!

Jewels
04-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Oh Bummer.

ScrapPea
04-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I saw. Ditto Jewels: bummer. It was a bad weekend for me, but perhaps there will be interest in another day sometime. The event last year was fun. here's hoping!

ScrapPea
03-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Just wanted everyone to know that I am co-hosting an ATC/art event the weekend of June 22, 2013. I'm starting a new "Michigan" thread, but feel free to contact me if you have any questions. :)

kbutts
05-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to let you know that we are still planning to host the Art For All Conference in Milwaukee this July (25th- 28th). The registration form will be available soon (testing now). We are still in search of the perfect hotel/venue but we are confident that we will find what we need in Milwaukee soon.
This link should get you to the forum/threads will all the information.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83
I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Kimberly