PDA

View Full Version : Under the water - NOT hand-drawn/ handpainted Due May 18th

Donnacr
03-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Due Date: May 18th
last postage date for non-Australians: May 4th
I live in Australia - mail will NOT reach me quickly! I normally allow 2 weeks when mailing my swaps to anywhere else in the world - I suggest that you do the same.
cards: 3 for 3
participants: 50

ALL CARDS MAILED MAY 22nd

I am not a person who can draw or paint and have people recognise what I have tried to show. This is the swap for anyone who feels similarly challenged.
Your cards can be realistic or stylised - they can be: collaged, cross-stitched, origami, quilted, made from buttons, punched, stamped, made from napkins and beeswax, embossed or any other style or technique that you can think of but they can NOT be simply drawn or painted.

For this swap you can let your imagination free as you can make cards that show: the beautiful shapes and colours that are under the water; the plants that live there; real or fantasy fish (make them as bright as you like, with big, beguiling eyes, etc); merpeople (fierce or friendly); submarines as fancy as Jules verne's Nautilus in 20,000 Leagues under the sea; underwater cities; or anything else you can imagine.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/8_scan0012.jpgmoving to. .http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3190/small/12_scan0013.jpg

Try different materials to give that 'underwater' feeling - put a layer of fine material, paper or acetate over your card. Shaker cards are perfect for this impression but package them carefully to avoid them being flattened in transit - also be careful what you put in to 'shake' (Australia will not let in sand or soil of any sort).

95668 95673 95674 95675 95676

My plan is NOT to give you back a technique that you have used (hopefully there will be a large enough variety to allow for this) - if you REALLY only want to receive the techniques that you have used please tell me and I will try to accomodate you.

Due date:
Cards are to be in my hands by May 18th. I will mail your return cards as soon as possible, but remember, it took 2 weeks to reach me so they will take 2 weeks to reach you. Please be on time as I fly out on Tuesday 22nd to visit my daughter in Queensland for her birthday.

Postage:
Australian players - please include a stamp equivalent to your postage
International players - an interesting stamp (of any denomination) or a well hidden US$1 bill.
ALL players please include a LARGE address label (at least 2"x2"), I will provide envelopes and Australian postage

1. Do your best work - I plan to swap like-for-like, as much as I can. You will probably not receive cards using the same technique as those that you submitted as I intend to mix the returns.

2。Clearly write your USERNAME and the SWAP NAME on the back of all your cards (so you can get fun rep points) and on the back of your mailing envelope. I am running a few swaps and do not want to put you with the wrong returns.

3. Please mail early to allow time to reach Australia.

4. An extra card for the swap host (in line with the swap theme) or some loose postage is greatly appreciated but is not required.

5. Embellishments are fine. The completed card needs to fit into standard pockets and the embellishments need to be securely fastened so they don't fall off during shipping. If it is too bulky it is more than likely that the card may not reach me - either because the envelope has been torn and the card lost, or it is too heavy.

6. Have fun!!

7. I will give iTrader feedback when I receive your cards, and will also update this post showing that your cards have arrived. In return I encourage you to give iTrader to me when you receive your swap returns, and Rep points for the artists whose cards you receive. After all, knowing where your cards went is half the fun. (I think)

PLAYERS
0. donnacr
1. ferretgirl - withdrew
2. creativemeemee - withdrew
3. Gerry - returned
4. MadLou23 - withdrew
5. Wil Opio Oguta - returned
6. rebecca410 - returned
7. Karlz - returned
8. MelanieS - received
9. thecharmedlife - returned
10. Frances - returned
11. miloccpep - returned
12. heatherkn - returned
13. ligilass - returned
14. janetmachek - returned
15. justfourtwoday - withdrew
16. craftADDchick - received

ferretgirl
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
donnacr, I'd like to play.....

NancyL
03-08-2012, 11:14 AM
maybe....

Gerry
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Me please, would love to join :)

MadLou23
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
sounds like a challenge...count me in!

Wil Opio Oguta
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Please sign me up. My biggest challenge might be to find a 2"x2" label LOL

Donnacr
03-08-2012, 06:11 PM
That's one of the good things about living on the 'wrong' side of the world - I go to sleep and wake up with a bunch of new friends:D
welcome: ferretgirl, creativemeemee, Gerry, MadLou23 and Wil Opio Oguta.

You know that you will be back Nancy - this swap is too good to miss:yes::cute:

Evalila
03-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Lurking for the moment - have to finish some other swaps first. But I think IŽll be back ;)

rebecca410
03-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Great swap!! sign me up

pixiecorpse
03-10-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm going to lurk to see what I can find to use...my collage supplies are very minimal!
Oh and I think you draw wonderfully I love my aquarius card you drew :D

NancyL
03-11-2012, 12:31 PM
This does sound interesting...but I managed to break a rib last Friday and am not doing any thinking at this time....though that is something that is painfree! My endurance leverl is shot..maybe its the painpills.

Donnacr
03-12-2012, 12:42 AM
NancyL - look after yourself. There is not much that can be done for a broken rib, is there? (other than pain killers) It is up to the body and Time. . .

welcome rebecca410 and Karlz. Karlz - if you have any questions please feel free to ask, either in this thread or send me a PM. There are no stupid questions - if you need to know, just ask.

pixiecorpse - I am a copier - if I can find a picture of what I want I can make a fair copy of it (even altering it slightly) but drawing something from scratch is nowhere near as good:skeptical:. thanks for the compliment though :D, they keep me trying.

evalila - I hope to see you back soon, (you know you will be;)).

Donnacr
03-14-2012, 12:07 AM
karlz - that sounds great, I can't wait to see what you come up with

Donnacr
03-20-2012, 03:01 AM
karlz - I have sent you a PM with my address

Donnacr
03-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Just bumping us up in the Forum list.

rebecca410
03-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Here are my cards.

Donnacr
03-24-2012, 02:59 AM
they look great rebecca410 - I have sent you my address

Donnacr
03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
just bumping us up - we are too interesting to be left at the bottom of the Forum lists

MelanieS
04-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread! Sounds like super fun! Can I play?

Donnacr
04-06-2012, 07:11 AM
MelanieS - welcome! Of course you can play.

Karlz - I will tell you when they arrive

Gerry
04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
My cards are finished I will post to the thread next week when I get back, and let you know when they are in the post. :)

Donnacr
04-07-2012, 04:07 AM
gerry - I can't wait to see what you have made

thecharmedlife
04-07-2012, 03:55 PM
OK, I can't resist a Donna swap. Sign me up please!

Donnacr
04-08-2012, 05:17 AM
thecharmedlife - thanks for the vote of confidence, of course you are signed up! Welcome.

Donnacr
04-12-2012, 06:56 AM
karlz - your magnificent cards arrived today. They are more than 'alright' - WOW!! I love the variety and thank you so much for including one for me

Donnacr
04-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Frances - you are very welcome. I used to give prizes to the child who could recognise/ guess what I was drawing on the board - luckily not a lot of drawing involved in Music/Dance/Drama teaching at Primary school level.:no:
My children knew better than to try and get me to walk passed a craft store (or a book store:D) - no excuses necessary, there is ALWAYS something that just 'calls' to you so I wish you luck in your shopping.

If you have a good post office close to you, with friendly staff, ask for the cheapest way to send to me. I can't give you an estimate as I don't get enough UK mail regularly to know prices and I can't understand what amounts your '1st' and '2nd' stamps stand for - sorry.

Any questions about this swap (or this site) feel free to ask either in the thread or in a PM to me - there is no such thing as a silly question.

miloccpep
04-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Morning Donna, going postal probably Monday.

Origami Squid w fish sticker on APC w stamp-pad background.
Origami StingRay w seashell sticker on APC w stamp-pad background.
Origami Clam w fish sticker on APC w stamp-pad background.
Origami Crawfish w starfish sticker on APC w stamp-pad background.

Donnacr
04-13-2012, 11:59 PM
miloccpep - I love those cards, especially the squid. I will tell you when they arrive
heatherkn - welcome! I love the cards in your Gallery - can't wait to see what you make for this swap. If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Donnacr
04-17-2012, 11:46 PM
frances - I can't wait to see what you have made (I can't even take a guess as your Gallery is empty - ooooh, the tension! the excitement!:D)There is no rush with cards so take the time for inspiration.

rebecca410 - your wonderful cards have arrived - you know I love sparkle and bling so your cards are perfect!

Gerry
04-18-2012, 07:19 AM
My cards went in the post today, I will put the pictures in my gallery tomorrow.

Love all the cards shown so far:)

Donnacr
04-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Frances - I love the humour in your card - you obviously found some cute stamps to use

Gerry - I will tell you when they arrive

thecharmedlife
04-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Mailed mine yesterday. I'm trying to mail extra early because everything seems to take so long from my post office. Everything I mail in what I think is plenty of time, always makes it on the very last day! Taking no chances this time.

Donnacr
04-18-2012, 07:58 PM
thecharmedlife - I'll tell you when they arrive.
I understand your frustration - when I was living in China I was having to allow a month for postage. We lived WAY north, just below Russia.

thecharmedlife
04-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Wow, China, that must have been exciting. I wonder what kind of shape mail was in after being in transit for so long. Must have been cold, so close to Russia. I can see Russia from my back porch. I'm joking. Just quoting Sarah Palin, who used to be mayor of the town right next to us. No, you can't see it from here, but there are a lot of Russians living in the area.

I went to my hillbilly post office today and your envelope was in my PO box with an insufficient postage notice on it. Nice. What more can I do than hand them the envelope and give as much money as they ask for? Do I need to get behind the counter and calculate postage myself? I want a name tag and paid holidays if that's the case. Hopefully they will make it out this time.

Donnacr
04-19-2012, 06:51 AM
thecharmedlife - how frustrating!! There should still be plenty of time for them to reach me.
Yes, it did get cold. I first went to China in January - flew out at 40C (104F) and mid-Summer in Australia and landed at -20C (-4F)and mid-Winter in China. Strange to say, I was a little 'under the weather' for the first couple of weeks.:D

heatherkn - those cards are great! I have the embossing folder you used behind Nemo - very effective for water. I have sent you my address.

Donnacr
04-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Frances- I love the theme you have chosen, very tongue-in-cheek cheeky.
I had chosen your 'tun(e)a' card and then I saw your 'cat fish' card - decisions, decisions:wacko: I can't wait to see them in real life

Aidee
04-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Lovely swap, I may have to join this one, but lurking to see if inspiration strikes soon.

@thecharmedlife: My post office is horrible too. I had all my wedding invites returned for the same thing - insufficient postage and yet they had calculated it and I purchased it at that same post office. I've had a few ATCs for swaps returned. I weigh them and they seem to expect 2x the postage that is standard. So frustrating!

ferretgirl
04-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Donnacr, I am sorry to have to tell you that I will need to drop out of this wonderful swap. A family situation has popped up & I won't have time to get them done. I apologize.

Donnacr
04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Aidee - I look forward to you joining us when inspiration strikes (you know you want to :D)

ferretgirl - family comes first - look after yourself and the family and I look forward to seeing you in another swap soon.

Gerry
04-21-2012, 03:48 AM
All in the post eariler in the week, as promised here are my collaged cards.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/3155/medium/1_fish.jpg

Donnacr
04-21-2012, 04:15 AM
gerry - those are amazing! I'll tell you when they arrive

Donnacr
04-21-2012, 09:57 PM
frances - I'll tell you as soon as they arrive

craftADDchick - the background can have hand drawn/painted elements but that is only a little bit of the card.
"I know that you will be unable to resist us. . ." (intoned in a slow, hypnotic way, with magician's wiggly fingers)

Donnacr
04-28-2012, 05:02 AM
miloccpep, gerry and Frances - all your wonderful cards have arrived.

I am constantly amazed at how you are all working to the same theme and yet all the cards are SO different - BEAUTIFUL!

just a subtle reminder - ALL cards need to be in the mail no later than the end of next week if they are to reach me in time.

Ligilass
04-28-2012, 08:09 AM
I've almost finished my set. Will you please count me in?

janetmachek
04-29-2012, 10:52 AM
I would love to do the UNDER THE WATER. I got my 1st set of cards today. I love it. All I need is a address Thank you . janetmachek@aol.com

Wil Opio Oguta
04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
My cards will go into the mail tomorrow. Here are the pictures:

janetmachek
04-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I would love to join this swap. I just got my 1st set of cards. I love it please let me know where to send the cards. Your address thank you. janetmachek@aol.com

Donnacr
05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
So sorry that I did not get on the computer yesterday.
welcome to ligilass and janetmachek - I have sent both of you my address via PM.

wil opio oguta - love the look of your cards - is it paint dabs on paper then a fish shape cut out?

Wil Opio Oguta
05-01-2012, 08:49 AM
No, the fish are made from metal flakes, glued onto the background.

Donnacr
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
That sounds even better!! Can't wait to see them IRL - I have some flakes but haven't been game to try them on a card yet.

thecharmedlife - your gorgeous fish have swum in

MelanieS
05-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Mine are finished!
I'll post pics soon!

MelanieS
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Here they are. Made w/felt, sewn onto cardstock.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/9642/large/1_img487.jpg

janetmachek
05-04-2012, 11:01 AM
They are water colored

Donnacr
05-05-2012, 04:02 AM
melanieS - those are fantastic!! I want the orange one!!:jiggy::jiggy:
justfourtwoday - welcome. Your cards will have to be in the mail within the next couple of days as I cannot wait for late ones - I will be in Queensland visiting my daughter for her birthday:D

Donnacr
05-05-2012, 04:25 AM
QUICK REMINDER - your cards need to be in the mail NOW as I live in AUSTRALIA and they normally take at least a week to reach me.

I have sent everyone whose cards I do not have yet a PM with my address - I can't wait to have the rest of your cards in my hands. The ones I have so far are wonderful and a joy to look at.

Donnacr
05-07-2012, 01:38 AM
craftADDchick - those are wonderful! I'll tell you when they arrive

heatherkn - your great cards have arrived - some wonderful techniques used

Donnacr
05-15-2012, 08:59 AM
wil opio oguta and ligilass - your amazing cards have arrived

MadLou23
05-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I am sorry to be so late about this....my computer died 2 weeks ago and this is the first time I have been able to get on line and catch up with everything. I will have to withdraw as the cards will not make it to you in time. The work submitted so far has been amazing. I'm so sorry I won't be a part of it :(

Donnacr
05-17-2012, 07:06 AM
janetmachek - your amazing cards have arrived. You really should have them in your Gallery so that others can see your wonderful style :yes::)

madlou23 - computer problems are SO frustrating!! You will be missed.

only 2 final sets of cards still to arrive and they are in the mail - not long now!

Donnacr
05-22-2012, 06:18 AM
craftADDchick - your cards made it!! :jiggy::jiggy:

melanieS - unfortunately your cards did not arrive in time.:sad::cry:

All cards are being swapped as I type and will be in the mail within the hour

miloccpep
05-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Rocking 'thecharmedlife' for the a fish w a smile, 'Wil' for the metal flakes fish, 'Frances' for the school of fish w seashells for company!
Donna, you did a superb job as a host! Thanks for the card too!

Wil Opio Oguta
05-29-2012, 11:04 AM
My cards came today. Thanks to Ligilas, MikeMachek and Miloccpep. Donna, thanks for hosting this swap and the lovely extra card you made. Now off to leave reps and Itrader.

thecharmedlife
05-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Got my cards today from craftADDchick, Janet Machek, and Ligilass. Love them all. Thanks for hosting Donna, you've outdone yourself, as always, with your thank you card.

Gerry
06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Cards arrived, thanks to Janet machek, Karlz, & Francis. Thanks also Donna, for the thank you card and for being such a great host.

Donnacr
06-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow!! There must have been some very effective tail winds for most of the cards to already be at their new homes :wideeyed: I have updated the list in the first post with all the cards that I know about.

MelanieS - your cards were part of the huge bundle waiting for me when I got home. I will PM you to discuss what you want done with your cards.

Donnacr
06-19-2012, 09:01 AM
I am going to archive this swap but that only stops you leaving new comments - rep points and iTraders and still possible.
Thanks for a great trade everyone