View Full Version : Disability Swap, Due May 15th

jetleg
03-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Swap Due Date, May 15th -
Signup/withdraw date, May 1st -
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants -12 , 6 int'l

Disability ATC Swap

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=5949&w=http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=5944&w=http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=6332&w=

The fabric cards is mine and the other 2 cards are courtesy of Mary, aka TherapyArtist, who helped me tremendously with this swap.

The aim of this swap is to share inspiration, courage and humor about the challenges in your life. You don't have to be disabled to join. We have noticed that a lot of people on here got into this whole addiction as a form of therapy, better than any medicine the doctor can prescribe. I know that is why Mary and I started. We have both personally spoken to a number of people that are either out of work because of a disability (again, myself and Mary included) or suffer from a disability that makes their life a challenge.

NOW...if atc's of just any kind (wonderful and beautiful all) can make us feel so good, we were thinking how nice it would be to do a "Disability Swap". OK, that's a weird title we know, but very catchy, yes? The point is to share with each other our own feelings of hope, our means of coping, our silly, crazy experiences - all of the positive things that the non-disabled wouldn't think would be a big part of our lives. So, positive disability cards - no matter what the disability!

Any medium is welcome....please make them ATC size, 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 and so they can fit in a protective sleeve. Include a self addressed stamped envelope for your returns. I will cover the cost for the first 6 international participants.

Please send completed cards to:
Jeanette Dimock
PO Box 1239
Milton, WA 98354

Thanks....We hope you join us! Jeanette, your hostess and Mary her friend and support.

Participants:
1. Therapyartist aka Mary, received
2. Smokeysmom aka Maggiereceived
3. Ibus aka Elizabeth...Scotland...withdrew
4. Scrampersue aka Sue received
5. Katilady aka Kati, received
6. Akamarti aka Marti received
7. Moony aka Christine received
8. Purplecat aka Karen...Isle of Man received
9. Jzhanna withdrawn
10. Maxie23 aka Carole...Canada received
11. Craftyvox...Netherlands
12. Asena aka Wendy received
3b. Christina...in place of Ibus
SWAP IS FULL

TherapyArtist
03-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Can you put my name at the very top of the list? TherapyArtist. Thanks.

jetleg
03-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Mary...yes i can you are number one....

smokeysmom
03-28-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm in! Please add me to the swap (US player)

Ibus
03-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Please addme to this swap

jetleg
03-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Smokeysmom and Ibus welcome!!!

ScramperSue
03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm in :)

my disabilities: asthma, allergies, severe sinus issues, missing 3 wrist bones in my left wrist, missing 3" of muscle in right elbow, left knee replacement, soon to have right knee replacement, Post-traumatic depression, and anxiety syndrome. is that enough LOL. I am actually applying for SS disability this year.

Sue

katilady
03-28-2008, 08:21 PM
I would love to join this one if I may. I am Bipolar and I work with the mentally ill as a case manager!
Kati :)

akamarti
03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Please add me in. I have RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy)---similar in ways to fibromyalgia. That means I also have autoimmune disorders like restless leg syndrome, IBS, RA and a slew of other issues. Grin and bear it!

jetleg
03-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Scrampersue, you had me at "I'm in", welcome. Katilady, I am so glad you joined...I think I could probably be one of your patients. Welcome to you both!!!

akamarti
03-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey, Sue....me, too. The government has finally decided RSD is a disability....although I understand that even after some 50 some tests to rule out a lot of other things, it's going to be a real battle....

jetleg
03-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Good luck on the social security disability. They denied me the first time...i guess they thought my leg would grow back and I would instantly get over it. Hehehe....I am good now...even though it is almost 5 years and the darn thing hasn't grown back yet...

katilady
03-29-2008, 12:13 AM
You have a great sense of humor jetleg!

ScramperSue
03-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Jetleg...My attorneys told me that SS turns everyone down the first time...no one knows why.

(My guess is it is part of the Gov't, and they HAVE to be a pain in the A$$ anyway they can)

katilady
03-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Jetleg...My attorneys told me that SS turns everyone down the first time...no one knows why.

(My guess is it is part of the Gov't, and they HAVE to be a pain in the A$$ anyway they can)

You are so right! I work with women trying to get SSI and it never fails, they get turned down the 1st time.

jetleg
03-29-2008, 01:15 AM
Marti I can't believe that I missed you. Welcome to the swap...you are almost my neighbor...

Moony
03-29-2008, 01:36 AM
OK, I gotta join this one! Panic attacks, social anxiety, and severe depression are somethings I deal deal with. I've applied for disability and since they say no the first time I wish they would do it already so I could protest. It is hard not having a "physical" disability. Everyone thinks you just need to get "happy" OK I'm done with my little rant thing.

Hey jetleg you're in my swap too!! Orange and pink buttons.

jetleg
03-29-2008, 02:24 AM
Moony...welcome to the swap, trust me you fit in here perfectly...welcome

akamarti
03-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I was told that the first turndown made so many people feel they weren't eligible that they never applied again....in other words, turn them down and save some money when they don't reapply. I intend to be very persistent....

Ibus
03-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Same seems to apply here. It's rarely granted on the first application!

jetleg
03-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Persistence really does pay off...in ss payments and art....

jetleg
03-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Puplecat, thank you for joining...we are going to have FUN!!!

jzhanna
03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I will play jzhanna

jetleg
03-29-2008, 07:37 PM
jzhanna, welcome to the swap...it promises to be fun and it is almost full!!! Wow...you guys all rock!

TherapyArtist
03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I have the same problems. Panic/Anxiety Disorder with a side of depression. SSD approved on my second try - I basically broke down in front of the physician after the shrink was so cold and matter of fact. Babbling like an idiot and dripping from eyes and nose all over his desk. It was either call the men in the white coats or sign the dang form. I guess the form seemed easier to them!

Welcome everybody!
Mary

TherapyArtist
03-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I really have meant to come and welcome everyone. Hi! Purplecat you are from the Isle of Man? My dad did our ancestry and that's where the people on my dad's side are all from! I'd love to visit. My mom's side are all straight off the boat from Poland!

Everybody, I have Panic/Anxiety Disorder with a side of depression. Take my meds each day, but my hands still shake. Amazingly, I can still do my art. And I'd be lost without it.

I want to tell you Hop-a-Long (jetleg) and I (Twitchy) are so happy you're all here. We thought there might be a place for this swap. So glad that's proving to be true. We're going to have fun!

I heard this from one of my Professors when I was getting my Masters in teaching. We had to take a course on gifted and disabled students. (I'm both. Hee Hee!) He said that people in wheelchairs call others TAB's. Temporarily Able Bodied. Why? Cuz age is gonna get ya if something else doesn't first. So we've got a head start. (And we still have our beautiful looks in the meantime!) We so rock!

Hugs to all!
Mary

maxie23
03-31-2008, 04:30 AM
Will play if included.

jetleg
03-31-2008, 07:40 AM
Maxie23...welcome, you are included!!! plan on some fun stuff!!!

katilady
03-31-2008, 10:21 PM
I am really excited about this swap. I always look for opportunities to celebrate our differences. I have found a couple of phrases that I am going to use, now I just need the images. Can't wait to see what everyone creates!
Kati

craftyvox
04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Sign me up please :)

jetleg
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Craftyvox...welcome to our little party! Kati, it is true once you start thinking of different things about differences (oooohhh...that was deep.) the sky is the limit. Mary aka therapyartist helped me with ideas and then I found that little girl fabric...I liked the way the card turned out so much...I made it my Avator. If anyone wants to know the story of my missing leg, just ask. it has been 5 yrs...I don't mind sharing at all.

Ibus
04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
:unsure: What's wXth all the x's?

katilady
04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
:unsure: What's wXth all the x's?

I was wondering that myself. :)

purplecat
04-01-2008, 01:21 PM
The x's are an April fool the mods are playing on us!
I am not "disabled" per say although I do suffer with IBS and it impacts on my life in a big way!
Jetleg kndly offered for me to join so here I am.
Therapy artist- wow your family are from here?! how exciting. I have lived here for 9 years now, I am originally from England. So the question is when are you coming to visit??

jetleg
04-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Remember...the first line of the swap "You do NOT have to be disabled to join." I actually think I was more disabled when I had 2 legs then I am now, hehehe....I was a little full of myself...wait I maybe still am, NOT! At least I hope not...did I mention I ramble.
Karen...I am pretty sure I can find a relative from over on your side of the ocean...shall i come with Mary?

purplecat
04-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Remember...the first line of the swap "You do NOT have to be disabled to join." I actually think I was more disabled when I had 2 legs then I am now, hehehe....I was a little full of myself...wait I maybe still am, NOT! At least I hope not...did I mention I ramble.
Karen...I am pretty sure I can find a relative from over on your side of the ocean...shall i come with Mary?

You are more than welcome any time, both of you, it would be a blast!!

jetleg
04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes, we will start saving our pennies now...we could come for a week and help you plow thru all those mountains of supplies i am sure you have. Of course, we would just bring all our stuff, no clothes and have tons of things to do, hehehehe

purplecat
04-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Sounds like fun, start saving! What a craft feast we would have!
Seriously for Therapyartist the family history research here is brillant! They love to help people from overseas research there Manx roots.Being an Island they have v. good records.

jetleg
04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
That sounds amazing. i will make sure she reads this....I am pretty pennies in the bank as we speak...

Asena
04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I have to join this one. Add me, please?

akamarti
04-03-2008, 09:46 AM
The x's are an April fool the mods are playing on us!
I am not "disabled" per say although I do suffer with IBS and it impacts on my life in a big way!
Jetleg kndly offered for me to join so here I am.
Therapy artist- wow your family are from here?! how exciting. I have lived here for 9 years now, I am originally from England. So the question is when are you coming to visit??
My grandparents were from the UK....Granmother from Aberdeen, Scotland and Grandfather from Cradley Heath, Staffordshire...that's the maternal side. My GREAT grandparents on the paternal side were both from Ireland...ousted from Scotland for picking the wrong side in one of the ongoing wars....

I was there 15 years ago...and would love to return but doubt it will ever happen. We had two weeks and went from Edinburgh to Poole and from Manchester to the Dover with stops at Amesbury, Bath, London, Leeds, Salsbury, Canterbury and more. An exhausting but educational and fun trip. Have hundreds of relatives over there and got to meet about 1/4 of them. "Tis a lovely country and warm and friendly people but MUST you drive on the left??? Talk about white knuckling it!!! Especially through roundabouts! Otherwise, except for mother urging us to try Haggis, it was my trip of a lifetime....

Ibus
04-03-2008, 11:52 AM
LOL Haggis is lovely!! :yes:

jetleg
04-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Welcome Asena...lunatic at large, hehehe...you will fit in great here...You are number 12...we are FULL!

katilady
04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I thought I would share with everyone the 1st card I finished for this swap. I REALLY like it and would like to keep it or even sell it in my etsy shop, lol! I hope whoever ends up with it likes it as much as I do! I even used image transfer for the 1st time ever which I am super excited about!
Kati

jetleg
04-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Kati...manwoman...is that me???? I love it...Jeanette

TherapyArtist
04-03-2008, 09:06 PM
OK....I think jetleg and I need to not only start saving our money, but try to cozy up to someone with frequent flier miles! I would love to come! I think my dad is planning on coming over some day...but we're not close, so I don't think I'd be invited even though I've already made the suggestion. Guess he knows he'd end up paying. Jetleg and I would bunk on your craft room floor and feel quite at home. We could order everything in and make a million atcs etc.! Let's plan it!

Asena
04-04-2008, 03:01 PM
The spirit of Inspiration walloped me in the head last night, and I got busy this morning. Here are my three offerings (please let me know if they're not OK!):

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=7604&w=o
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=7605&w=l
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=7607&w=l

katilady
04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Asena,
They are wonderful! My brother is autistic so they really speak to me. I think you do lovely work!
Kati

Asena
04-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Thank you, Kati :cute:

How old is your brother? Squirrel-butt, in that top one, will be 11 in August (and I still struggle with the idea that I have a daughter that old).

TherapyArtist
04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Asena, these are absolutely beautiful! They all touched me...and I love how you open the door and a different aspect of the condition is inside. The 3rd card is me. I have Anxiety/Panic Disorder with a side of depression - like you! What a strange life it can be...but have you ever noticed you're more sensitive to things than others? That part I wouldn't give up for total 100% mental health. (If there is such a thing.)

smokeysmom
04-04-2008, 08:28 PM

I, too, was turned down the first time and I appealed, only this time with an attorney who specialized in SS hearings, and, yes, they get paid out of your settlement, but it was definitely worth it for me. When my case was approved at the appeals hearing, SS had to pay me benefits from the time of my initial application (they go back to day one when you first applied for benefits and pay you), then the monthly benefits began right after I was paid the lump sum benefit. So don't give up. There are hundreds of SS disability claims attorneys who can help you win your case.

smokeysmom
04-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Isn't it a coincidence that so many of us "creative" people also suffer from anxiety disorders and depression? I don't remember having those problems BEFORE I was injured and disabled???

katilady
04-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you, Kati :cute:

How old is your brother? Squirrel-butt, in that top one, will be 11 in August (and I still struggle with the idea that I have a daughter that old).

You are welcome! Kyle will be 24 in July. He still lives at home with my folks, although my siblings and I are pushing for a group home for him. We think he would have more opportunities to be social, etc. Although I hate this phrase I will use it, Kyle is VERY low functioning. He is still wearing diapers and has limited speech as well as being aggressive. But I adore him, he's my brother!

smokeysmom
04-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey, Sue....me, too. The government has finally decided RSD is a disability....although I understand that even after some 50 some tests to rule out a lot of other things, it's going to be a real battle....

When I appealed my case, the Judge at my hearing had no idea what Fibromyalgia was and said to me "is that a disease or a result of your injuries?"

Asena
04-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Isn't it a coincidence that so many of us "creative" people also suffer from anxiety disorders and depression? I don't remember having those problems BEFORE I was injured and disabled???

I don't think it is, but I don't have any data that would back it up - just anecdotal/experiential. I don't recall anything about it in any of my psych classes, but then autism was only one half of one page in my Abnormal Psych textbook! ('Course, that was about 17 years ago.)

I believe that there is something to the idea that artists suffer. Whether the art comes first or the suffering, I would have to say suffering. There's a certain kind of brain, IMO, that has wiring a little different from the wider population - that wiring may be ADD, anxiety/depression, etc., but it's a way of looking at the world that ends up creating something (music, art, writing). I also think that people who have pain are changed by it. So the person who becomes disabled experience a physical suffering that may in effect re-wire their brains, resulting in the same creativity.

Obviously this is not hard and fast. A dear friend of mine has a sister who is disabled, and all she does is b* about how awful her life is. All she creates is more misery. :(

jetleg
04-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Wendy...your cards are more then okay...they are exactly what Mary and I were looking for in this swap. Your daughter is beautiful. Thank you for sharing her special life with all of us through your art. I am thrilled to have you in the swap. Just send me a PM and I will send you my address for you to mail in your cards....when you are ready. they aren't due until May 15th. thanks again.

SS Disability is certainly a roller coaster of emotions. i hated having to focus on the pain to do that dumb paperwork. It is hard when you have to educate even the officials. However, it is worth it. I am done with that and loving life.

Thank you all for being here....this is great!!!

purplecat
04-05-2008, 04:12 AM
You are welcome! Kyle will be 24 in July. He still lives at home with my folks, although my siblings and I are pushing for a group home for him. We think he would have more opportunities to be social, etc. Although I hate this phrase I will use it, Kyle is VERY low functioning. He is still wearing diapers and has limited speech as well as being aggressive. But I adore him, he's my brother!

I know excatly what you mean, my Brother has Downs syndrome. It took alot of persuading to let Mum and Dad let him "go". He has lived in a wonderful mencap home now for 5 years and it has been the best thing for him, he is with his peer group now, it must have been so boring for him at Home , now he goes out so much he has more of a social life than me! He is not able to live independantly, he would not be able to cook, clean etc he needs 24 care. He has his own room, complete with sound system and disco ball!! Lots of friends and is soo happy.
3 years ago, he had double pneumonia, and I flew over to see him, only to see him in intensive care on a ventilator and to be told the next 24 hrs were critical and they were looking at turning off the machines, well he proved them all wrong and pulled through, it was very emotional, and like you say he is my brother!

Asena
04-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Diana's going to be at home with us for at least a few more years. I'm having issues with her going to the junior high - I'm really REALLY not prepared just yet for thinking about a group home situation!

She's diagnosed mild/moderate, and is fairly high-functioning. Just last year, at 10, she successfully became totally toilet trained and is out of pull-ups (she'd been wearing them to bed, and was taking care of half her business in those). We were so excited, because she really resisted that! She does talk, but her verbal skills are significantly below grade/age level, and when she's agitated it's harder for her. All in all, we count ourselves incredibly fortunate to have an affectionate and funny child.

I do sometimes regret not having other children; I would have liked one more. But with the risk of having another child with autism 25% greater than not, we made a decision not to. We feared that another child, typically developing, would get short-changed because she needs us more, or that a more severely impacted child would need us more, and SHE would get short-changed. A friend of my mom knows a family that has three autistic sons - frankly I don't know how they manage. :no: I guess we all rise to the challenge we're given, or break under the strain...

Asena
04-05-2008, 08:29 AM
When I appealed my case, the Judge at my hearing had no idea what Fibromyalgia was and said to me "is that a disease or a result of your injuries?"

Oh, that's just lovely. :eek: Moron... Chin up, woman! It CAN be done! My sis-in-law has Fibro and successfully got Disability. She had to fight for it, but she did get it, and when they did, they made the benefits retroactive!

katilady
04-05-2008, 06:54 PM
I know excatly what you mean, my Brother has Downs syndrome. It took alot of persuading to let Mum and Dad let him "go". He has lived in a wonderful mencap home now for 5 years and it has been the best thing for him, he is with his peer group now, it must have been so boring for him at Home , now he goes out so much he has more of a social life than me! He is not able to live independantly, he would not be able to cook, clean etc he needs 24 care. He has his own room, complete with sound system and disco ball!! Lots of friends and is soo happy.
3 years ago, he had double pneumonia, and I flew over to see him, only to see him in intensive care on a ventilator and to be told the next 24 hrs were critical and they were looking at turning off the machines, well he proved them all wrong and pulled through, it was very emotional, and like you say he is my brother!

Thank goodness your brother was OK! If you have any tricks for persuading parents, please pass them on, lol!

katilady
04-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Diana's going to be at home with us for at least a few more years. I'm having issues with her going to the junior high - I'm really REALLY not prepared just yet for thinking about a group home situation!

She's diagnosed mild/moderate, and is fairly high-functioning. Just last year, at 10, she successfully became totally toilet trained and is out of pull-ups (she'd been wearing them to bed, and was taking care of half her business in those). We were so excited, because she really resisted that! She does talk, but her verbal skills are significantly below grade/age level, and when she's agitated it's harder for her. All in all, we count ourselves incredibly fortunate to have an affectionate and funny child.

I do sometimes regret not having other children; I would have liked one more. But with the risk of having another child with autism 25% greater than not, we made a decision not to. We feared that another child, typically developing, would get short-changed because she needs us more, or that a more severely impacted child would need us more, and SHE would get short-changed. A friend of my mom knows a family that has three autistic sons - frankly I don't know how they manage. :no: I guess we all rise to the challenge we're given, or break under the strain...

Your daughter sounds really sweet! In our family Kyle was the last of 4. Oddly, he was the only child that was planned, the rest of us were happy accidents, lol. My parents quickly made the decision to not have any more after him...hard for Catholics to do, lol!

smokeysmom
04-06-2008, 07:05 PM
ATC's completed for this swap-will mail out on 4/7/08:

katilady
04-06-2008, 07:07 PM
ATC's completed for this swap-will mail out on 4/7/08:

These are really, really, REALLY wonderful! I especially like #4.
Kati

Asena
04-06-2008, 07:47 PM
:biglaugh: "prescription poker" - love it!

jetleg
04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Wow...maggie, Smokeysmom, these are so funny. I am sure my family was wondering what I was doing sitting here laughing out loud, by myself. I can relate to them all. I think the pain scale is the #1 for me. They always ask that. Before my leg was amputated, I thought is 10 the limit, cause this feels more like a 15 at least. I could for sure play the "pill poker" as well.:wubclub:

TherapyArtist
04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
OK, I lay my hand out and let you decide if I can play, too. I've got a hand of 30mg Paxil, 3 1mg Klonopin, 2 ??mg Seroquel and a variety of laxative tablets! Am I in?

katilady
04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
My last 2 cards are done and here they are!

purplecat
04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I had a sudden inspiration and got my cards done. They are titled " I am mind, body and soul" I thought this says that we are more than any disability, we are US, we are soul.

jetleg
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Katilady, your cards are so eloquent they speak volumes. Purplecat, your cards say to me we are more than our physical bodies, which is so true....everything works together to make the whole. Everyone is doing such an awesome job.

Asena
04-07-2008, 05:54 PM
purplecat - wonderful! We are greater than the sum of our parts!

TherapyArtist
04-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree. Every new card I see makes me happier to be part of this group.

One thing that was mentioned earlier that I wanted to add my 2 cents on: which came first, the art or the disability. I read a book (ok, I started it.) called The Highly Sensitive Person that talks about the way people who end up susceptible to all sorts of things because of their sensitivity. I think that anyone who creates art is able to see...beyond. And that's not the norm. And we are in a world that is built for the norm. I told my shrink once that I didn't want to take my meds because when I was allowed to stay so highly (very highly) sensitive, I could see, really see, so much more. And appreciate so much more. The skies were such a blue blue. I noticed every wildflower and the pattern of all the petals. Most people wouldn't have even noticed the wildflower. He just reminded me of the fact that I can also feel (and see, I guess) all the bad stuff so much more intensely too. We had to 'flatten out the peaks' so I could get thru a day. Well, thankfully, I still 'see' better than most anyone I know. I also am more sensitive than most people I know - which is a darned hard way to live. But as long as I have my art to help me...I'll handle the lows. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Asena
04-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I told my shrink once that I didn't want to take my meds because when I was allowed to stay so highly (very highly) sensitive, I could see, really see, so much more. And appreciate so much more. The skies were such a blue blue. I noticed every wildflower and the pattern of all the petals. Most people wouldn't have even noticed the wildflower. He just reminded me of the fact that I can also feel (and see, I guess) all the bad stuff so much more intensely too. We had to 'flatten out the peaks' so I could get thru a day.

OMG, Mary, that is EXACTLY why I stopped taking my antidepressants! I just couldn't stand that "flat" feeling any more! (I did it w/o talking to anyone first, just weaned off them. Bad me!) Bottom line, life has highs and lows, and once a coping mechanism (hopefully a healthy one) was found, meds were not for me.

I very recently quit smoking. When things got intense (good or bad), I'd take 15 and smoke a cigarette, and looking at it from where I sit now, I was self-medicating with them - not so much with the nicotine but with the ritual. Creating is a much better "ritual" I think! :cute:

I hope no one thinks that I would believe poorly of them for being on medication! They made me feel worse, so I stopped taking them. I would *never* be critical of someone taking a Rx that helped them function in the world.

TherapyArtist
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
I still take meds. Lower doses and never the ones they want me to take - these are old school and usually only used anymore for 'the aged and infirm.' I don't know. I just turned 50 and I am not exactly athletic. Do I qualify for that title?;) I know doctors have a lot of problems with sever bi-polar patients and schizophrenic patients ( I can't believe I could spell that!) who stop taking their meds. It could lead to life or death situations in those cases. But I stood up for myself....and then AFTERWARD my friends told me they were glad they adjusted my meds because I was like a zombie. Sure would have been nice to know --->While it was happening! An open note to people who know someone with depression and/or panic disorder: If the person starts acting like a zombie, please do say something!

katilady
04-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I sent of my cards today!

Ibus
04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
LOL Love the pill poker, but can drown you in pills! I have a combination of 9 kinds that I take over the day and I'm now off the antidepressants, so it was worse!!

purplecat
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Jeanette I have posted my cards for the swap today.

jetleg
04-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Thank you Karen, I can't wait to see them.

ScramperSue
04-09-2008, 12:59 AM

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety syndrome and ADHD years before my big injury ( and subsequent infections-surguries etc)
after that i think the anxiety got much worse and then it was also post-traumatic depression...now, i just found out that "officially" i have no diagnosis of this, as the therapist that Worker's comp sent me to ( for a lousy 8 visits) who TOLD me I was suffereing from PTA and PTD. that he didn't list any of those in my official paperwork, so i do have to be seen by someone, and be evaluated. but I KNOW I was never depressed before the injury.

ScramperSue
04-09-2008, 01:17 AM
A dear friend of mine has a sister who is disabled, and all she does is b* about how awful her life is. All she creates is more misery. :(

I have some days like this, I do NOT believe I do it often. I hope not.

ScramperSue
04-09-2008, 01:22 AM
:biglaugh: "prescription poker" - love it!

Me too! I am currently taking 6 medications daily and that is NOT counting Lunesta, and the water pill, PRN--Klonopin, nasal inhalers, asthmas inhalers and the pain meds since my surgery.
I'll raise 1 effexor and 2 iron pills LOL:jiggy:

jetleg
04-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Kati...I am watching my mailbox for your cards...should be quick from California. I will let you know the minute they arrive.

TherapyArtist
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
You guys are so great. I'm sorry I haven't been online much. I went to a vocational training place the other day... Monday?Tuesday? Tuesday. OK That's it for my brain.

OK so, anyway, we decided I'm better with animals than people. :twitcy: This was not a huge surprise for me. So anyway, they're going to help me train and get - hopefully - a part time job. I need the money. Which came first? The Panic/Anxiety or the bills? That's a harder one than the chicken/egg question!

jetleg
04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Asena...your cards have arrived. Excellent job...thank you also for the 2 extra flower cards for Mary and myself.

Asena
04-10-2008, 07:42 AM
You're so welcome! Thanks for letting me know they arrived - that was pretty speedy!

jetleg
04-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I received a wonderful bounty today in my post office box. Wonderful cards from Marti Long, wow lots of cards...thank you for the one for me. Fun cards, really well done from Smokeysmom...thank you for my great card. Cards to make you think by Katilady, amazing and also a big package of fibers...thank you. I also received another card from Therapyartist...thank you...you rock.

jetleg
04-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I have decided to leave itraders as I receive the cards. I am off to do itraders for Asena, Katilady, Akamarti, Smokeysmom and Therapyartist. We have 5 people who have already sent in cards. You guys are super organized.

katilady
04-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I am so glad my cards and fiber made it! I had so much fun going thru my stash and picking out fibers for you, hope you enjoy and they come to good use!

TherapyArtist
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Well of course we're organized. Have to be if you qualify for this thread, right?:jiggy:

Update: I meet with my job counselor Monday of next week! We're going to come up with a plan of attack. I am so stoked. I barely could pay the bills this month. A few hours a week would make such a difference. (And that's all I can handle anyway, but let's look at the silver lining, ladies!0

mwah to all!

katilady
04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
That's wonderful Mary! I hope it goes well for you!

purplecat
04-15-2008, 02:28 AM
Glad my cards made it to you safe and sound.

TherapyArtist
04-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Does anyone here go to the Lounge where the fun and games thread is? It's a hoot. And you know what they say: Laughter is the best medicine.

jetleg
04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
I think I will check out the lounge...i could use a hoot...wait is that an owl...cause I am already sewing like 3 of those owl stuffies. I have been doing a lot of hand sewing with felt lately. I also have been doing the rolo thing...i would recommend you try it...although only if you have finished your cards for here first, hehehe. Because I think once you start the rolo thing it is hard to stop.

TherapyArtist
04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Warning, warning. Jetlleg got me started on the rolos and now I have a hard time staying put in bed at night...I keep wanting to get back up and do more. Thx, J!

jetleg
04-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Hello everyone, I just received great cards from Moony. They really make you think. Great job!!! I have over half the cards here already. Wow, nice group of people to work with on my first time out. I could not have done it without Mary...Therapyartist

jetleg
04-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I finally remembered to update the list at the beginning...remember my 1st swap. I am excited the cards I have received thus far are amazing. Thank you all.

Ibus
04-20-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry Jetleg and all the others, but I'm going to have to withdraw from this swop. I'm completely stuck, no inspiration at all and now I'm beginning to stress over it and it's beginning to be a vicious circle!

TherapyArtist
04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
No sweat. Don't stress over it or you'll have my disability: Panic/Anxiety Disorder. It's easy to get to caught up on this atcsforall site. I took today totally off except to check for posts.

jetleg
04-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Ibus...please do not stress...it is no problem, maybe next time? Best wishes!

jetleg
04-20-2008, 11:34 PM
We now have room for one more, any takers???, please PM me. Thanks....Jeanette

TherapyArtist
04-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah! Tell your friends!!!!!:chatterbox::wubclub:

Moony
04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Can I ask everyone that is on disability a question? How many appeals did it take till your got accepted? You can PM me or email me at howlmoony@aol.com
Thanks

jetleg
04-26-2008, 03:09 PM
We are full...Christina, welcome....you are our final member for this swap...we have just over 2 weeks left.....have fun and create, create, create...

katilady
05-06-2008, 12:37 AM
So how's everyone doin? Excited that this swap is almost done? I am! I can't wait to see what kind of cards I get!

jetleg
05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I am so excited....i can't wait until all the cards are here....

TherapyArtist
05-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Totally stoked about getting the cards from my friends at arms!;)

ScramperSue
05-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Mine will be postal by monday the latest, and there is one for JETLEG and one for THERAPYARTIST as well as 3 to swap out :) they are basically a "tryptych"
thanks, Sue

jetleg
05-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Sue, thank you so much....i will be watching the post for your cards. Thank you also for including cards for both Mary and I.

I received Maxie23's cards today, they are amazing....the returns are great on this swap. I think everyone will be very happy.

katilady
05-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Our due date passed without much fan fare! I bet there are some beautiful cards Jetleg!

jetleg
05-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I am sorry...i was waiting for my mail today and then my leg was killing me, so when we went out I totally spaced on the post office...that's what I get for having one of those non-productive pity parties. Well ladies the party is over and so is the swap!!! I am mailing returns out on Mondays. I think you are going to really like your cards that you receive. Remember to leave feedback for me and rep points for the artists' that make your cards. Thanks again for being part of this my first swap....Mary, therapyartist, I couldn't have done this without you. thank you so much!!!

katilady
05-16-2008, 11:42 PM
No need to apologize! I just wanted to recognize that it had ended and we should be getting some cool cards soon. And if you wanna talk about pity parties...I am having one right now! Wanna join? We can commiserate about our misery's! Now doesn't that sound like fun! :rolleyes: :jiggy:

jetleg
05-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Owwww, a pity party????Did you have napkins made? What about those little sandwiches? I am so sorry, why are you having the party? I hate it when I have them, but I still do every once in a while.
Scrampersue...i got your cards today...i am sure they were there before...i just forgot the mail on friday, duh???
We are missing cards from Christina and Craftyvox....are they en route? Thanks everyone....
hugs...katilady...I hope your day goes better!

katilady
05-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Jetleg! And yes, the party had napkins and sandwiches and cupcakes too! Life is just complicated with finances and sick kitties! Poor me, right? At least I am alive, I can breathe, my car runs, and I have my art! All that and more to be thankful for!

ScramperSue
05-17-2008, 09:21 PM
I've been in a pity party for a few days now myself... I am alive, I am breathing, there is a roof over my head (although there are a couple of leaks) there are clothes on my back and for the most part food in the house, LOL(it may not always be waht I want) but I do NOT have a car of my own, and the truck is acting up and using more gas than usual, so Hubby is not letting it out of the yard except to go to work or real purposeful trips...arrrgh :( I am in the house 24/7 basically alone 90% of the time... i need to get napkins and cupcakes LOL

akamarti
05-17-2008, 11:35 PM
What is this? A scheduled national holiday? I've been in the dumps, too! But, I have black napkins, sad music recorded and lots of boxes of tissues around....

However, cupcakes, cake or something chocolate are a definite necessity for a pity party.....as is Fettucini Alfredo which is finishing cooking right now. A month ago...imagine....we had 6 inches of snow...and it hit 90 here today!!! So, a late dinner is definitely called for!

Tomorrow the National Pity Party Week MUST be over....donchathink????

((((HUGS)))) to everyone....we can never have too many as long as they are gentle!

purplecat
05-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Jetleg, my returns will arrive when I am away on holiday, so I will be late leaving rep and i-t, but I will have something to look forward to on my return!

jetleg
05-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Karen, thanks for letting me know...
Okay ladies, I hope the pity party is over....I am predicting lots of smile when you receive your cards. I just mailed them out. I hope everyone enjoys their returns...Thank you all so much for being part of this swap.
Mary...thank you for all your coaching and support and co-hosting duties...like holding my hand long distance while I did the swap.
Thanks a bunch!!!!

katilady
05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Yippee!

jetleg
05-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey, don't you mean Eureka???????

katilady
05-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey, don't you mean Eureka???????

Hahahaha! That too!

Asena
05-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Got my returns! :jiggy: Thank you Jeanette for such an inspiring & FUN swap! Thanks, too, to ScramperSue, maxie23 and our esteemed hostess for terrific cards!

ScramperSue
05-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I've got all kinds of disabilities, LOL...anxiety arrived in my mailbox to add fun to my anxiety and I also have a one-legged little girl and someone who is depressed and twitchy looking for a cup of tea!! ALL are welcome in the HOUSE of ADHD!!!

thanks to Mary and especially to Jeanette for a great swap.
and to Jeanette (Jetleg)
Wendy(Asena)
and Mary(Therapyartist)
for primo cards....off to leave iTRADER and rep :)

akamarti
05-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Many thanks to katilady, maxie 23, moony, purplecat, smokeysmom and therapy artist. Soon as I can figure out the rep point thing again, I'll get you points!

Special thanks to our hostess(es) for letting me express my feelings about disability!!!

Moony
05-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Got my cards today from smokeysmom, marti, and mary. Thank you

katilady
05-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Received my wonderful returns today! Thanks you: Purplecat, Akamarti, and Asena...your cards are delightful! A special thanks to Jetleg for all of her hard work hosting this swap and to Therapyartist for her assistance!

TherapyArtist
05-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Asena, I got one of your cards - Diana the Clown. I haven't given you rep points yet because I already gave you one recently. I will though. You mark my words. I love this card!

Asena
05-25-2008, 01:31 PM
She had SO MUCH FUN "painting" her face with markers. :D One o' these days I'm going to pick her up some real face paints and let her go to it. In the meantime -- thank the gods Crayola washable markers really are! So glad you like it! ;)

purplecat
06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi folks I am back from my Holiday and had some lovely cards waiting for me!
I received lovely cards from;Katilady, Therapy Artist and Jetleg- thanks everyone.
Well done on hosting your first swap Jetleg, you did a great job!