PDA

View Full Version : Document your Pain and Illness, Depression, and Mental Health -ATC swap Due June 29th

Pages : [1] 2

Jennie
04-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Document your Pain and Illness, Depression, and Mental Health -ATC swap
Swap Due Date – June 29th This swap is now closed
Withdraw date –communicate withdrawals-
Number of cards – 3-3- regular 2 by 3 “
Number of participants – unlimited
Medium- Hand drawn/ hand painted or collage

So many of us have illnesses that cause pain, depression, inability to work, do things and go places. Others of us have mental health issues that can cause so many symptoms. It makes for unhappiness in our lives. People don’t understand if they haven’t been there. They try to understand but mainly come away with thinking we’re different, strange, should pull ourselves up by the boot straps, that we are dark. Most of which aren’t true. In the world of physical and mental illness sometimes our true feelings and points of views come out in the form of art. This is not the art that most people think of for an ATC swap. These are those ugly little inner feelings that usually go into our journals that we keep private as we draw sunshine and happiness for the swaps we join. For this swap you will draw your feelings on ATC cards. No sunshine and happiness!

Please take the time to read all the information below.

For this swap, everyone will create 3 cards that represent your illness, pain, depression, frustration, or any other feeling that is brought on by your particular challenge. Please send true honest feelings in these cards. Please don’t just write what you have, show us how you feel having it. Documentation is some time cathartic in our journeys.

Please do not ask what anyone else’s illness is. If someone forgets and asks please only answer with these words- Thank you so much for your concern.

If you would like to join a discussion group, we do have a wonderful Social group for just that.
Artists with Depression and Other Illnesses
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/group.php?groupid=88
Think of the ways you could help others that have just been diagnosed, or there are those there for you. No one is alone, we all care in this group and can understand the good the bad and the ugly, days and weeks of some diseases. Please join us.

Everything you send, envelope, notes, cards, etc… should have your site name, and which swap they are for. I have 6 going at a time.
Please PM me when you need an address. Those of you that have it, I still live here

I will supply the envelopes

USA participants:
Send the same amount in stamps or money as it took to send it to me- I will supply the envelopes.
DO NOT send computer produced postage. It has to be exchanged at a post office and I have an Annex. The post office is 6 miles. Those that know me know I seldom drive more than 1 or 2 miles, and you really don’t want me on the road anyway.
Please send a large Label with your name and address, please put your country. The writing on the label should be at least 1.5 inches by 3 inches. Sticky backed makes me happy.

All other participants:
If you have American stamps from other swaps, send me a $1.15 in stamps, or $1 dollar American. If you don’t have access to American please send me a $1 stamp from your country for me to use in other swaps. Please no Euros they are hard to exchange and a pain to mail.
Please send a large Label with your name and address, please put your country. The writing on the label should be at least 1.5 inches by 3 inches. Sticky backed makes me happy.

Don’t forget to put your information on the back of every card.
Do not send an Envelope, I will Supply it

Of course host cards are never required but will be cherish.
On the back of your cards:
Title of card- Our feelings and perceptions are so important in this swap. Name them
Materials used
Date
Your site name
Your real name
Your location, please include country.
All cards should be sent in plastic sleeves

What you should know for this swap-
Create 3 cards that represent your illness, pain, depression, frustration, or any other feeling that is brought on by your particular challenge. Please send true honest feelings in these cards. Do not use any stickers- they don’t stay stuck in the Arizona heat, sitting in a mailbox.

PM me for an address

Any late cards will be returned to sender. They must be postmarked before the last day of the swap.

Anyone not communicating a withdrawal before the end of the swap will receive a neutral ITrade.

Please put all your information on your cards (see above)

Now who will join me in this journey?

-beyondshay- REC'D
-Snowariginalrec'd
-EvalilaRec'd
-RaineyDayRec'd
-ASchaumrec'd
-JaceslaveRec'd
-IrvaRec'd
-WeAre138Rec'd
-Kris10satcsRec'd
-KathRec'd
-Heatherkn
-ELFRec'd
-Cheery-
-freeflyinangelRec'd
-pixiecorpseRec'd
-DulciRec'd
-RebeccaGRec'd
-Catey
-BluseybreezeRec'd
-kitty2287Rec'd
-SassyRec'd
-Shunshine shadowRec'd
-PalmiraRec'd
-akindajoy
-Bigtoe StudioRec'd
-HeatherRRec'd
-TheWeavershandrec'd
-TheatrerachelRec'd
-Pilarfarmerrec'd
-bleedingartRec'd
-JossRec'd
MelanieSRec'd
-PinkZombieRec'd

beyondshay
04-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Okay, being first makes me ANXIOUS :eek: but I'm gonna push past it and ask to join please! Oh, and this is my first time being first to join a swap!!! :wideeyed:

Cat's Cradle
04-05-2012, 09:54 PM
I know I need this swap. Sign me up.

Jennie
04-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Welcome Cat's Cradle- glad you are here

Evalila
04-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Id love to join, too!

WeAre138
04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
This is a really good idea, I hope people find it supportive or helpful. I'll need to have a think about how I could create the art, so I wont sign up yet but yeah...just expressing support

pixiecorpse
04-06-2012, 09:06 AM
This is such a wonderful idea Jennie! I will lurk for now...

Phoenix
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Please count me in.

MelanieS
04-06-2012, 01:53 PM
So many problems, so little cards...LOL!
I'll take a try at it.
Are we looking for something abstract?

RaineyDay
04-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I would like to join please!

Jennie
04-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Melanie, cards will be in whatever style you want. Most of my work is realisim, some people do the most wonderful stylized work while others will be abstract. It represents your challenge and how it makes you feel. But that's a wonderful question.

Welcome Snowariginal, to AFA as well as this swapWe are so glad that you are with us.
Welcome also to Evalila, WeAre138, Phoenix, MelanieS, and RaineyDay. So glad you are here.

Jennie
04-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Pixie I do hope that you come back. I do love you in my swaps

pixiecorpse
04-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks Jennie! I need to catch up on some swaps before I try exorcising my demons don't want them to halt my productivity :D

Jennie
04-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I sure understand pixie

Joss
04-06-2012, 05:18 PM
I have joined so many swaps (again) but as this one is at the end of June, please add me too.

RoOskie
04-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I will lurk but have some ideas. I will let you know. Thanks!!!

WeAre138
04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
I wasn't planning to sign up just yet...was just expressing support and saying I thought it was a really nice idea. But if you want to leave me on the list, I'll have a shot and see what I can come up with :)

jensaz
04-06-2012, 07:22 PM
me too!

Jennie
04-06-2012, 08:54 PM
WeAre138- Hun I just wasn't giving you a choice after you were so supportive.

Welcome Joss, jensaz, and ASchaum- so glad that you've joined us.

DreamingFox
04-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Can i join too please..?

Jennie
04-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Welcome DreamingFox, so glad you are joining us, welcome

Jaceslave
04-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Can I join

Jennie
04-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Absolutely Jaceslave, Welcome to our group.

DreamingFox
04-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks, i will get right to work! :)

Jaceslave
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Thank you

irva
04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
i will try this ..sounds like good therapy!Irva

Jennie
04-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Wonderful to have you with us Irva.

theweavershand
04-08-2012, 06:58 PM
definitely lurking. such an intriguing subject. have to see what i can come up with.

DenaCottrell
04-09-2012, 12:42 AM
I really want to join this swap. Thank you Jennie for hosting this.

WeAre138
04-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Aw, Jennie. I shall give it my best shot then!

Jennie
04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Welcome Dena and WeAre. aschirsman welcome, you may be the only one with happy dance cards. What i know about my cards are pain and confussion. I'm so glad that you are all here
Weaver and Coyotesgirl- remember us so you can sign up

Jennie
04-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Hi all I'm just bumping us up the list

kris10satcs
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Ah, perfect timing! I needto do this swap!

Jennie
04-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Kris10satcs welcome to the group. We're so glad you joined us. I think the timing is good for a lot of people.

Jennie
04-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Good morning everyone. Please talk amongst yourselves while I do the taxes. How are your cards coming along, how old your kids are, mine are 24 and 27, and no they have not given me grand babies yet. I didn't mean that you couldn't talk in the intro just not about illnesses. I'm doing the laundry too today, I really hate laundry! I have to fill out insurance paperwork too for a hospital, I hate insurance companies and paperwork too. What other swaps are you in. I'm hosting 6 right now. Ok back to stuff. :jiggy::D
:err: err.... paperwork?

Jennie
04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Good morning just bumping us up to the top. Hope everyine is great today

Kath
04-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Jennie, this seems like it might be a difficult swap (for me anyway), but the more I mulled it over I thought I would take the plunge! I hope I'm able to express myself through it, thanks though for coming up with the concept.

Jennie
04-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Welcome Kath it's so great that you are with us.

WeAre138
04-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Quick question? Are you going for a Postsecret sort of idea? Like...creating a piece of art that shares a secret that people don't feel they can share with people in 'real life'. Or is it something more abstract, art that represents a feeling or state of mind without actually confessing it?

As a side note, if anyone doesn't follow PostSecret, I would really recommend it. For anyone not familiar, it's a man who has opened his mailbox up and invited people to anonymously mail him their secrets on handmade post cards. He then selects a few and uploads them every Sunday.

Jennie
04-15-2012, 08:55 AM
I had never heard about postsecret, but that is not what we really want hear. what we are looking for is feelings. How does it feel to be.....

WeAre138
04-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Ah, okay, just wondering. I'll keep working on mine with this in mind.

Jennie
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Welcome Heather we are so glad that you have joined us.

Elf
04-17-2012, 03:35 PM
What a wonderful idea! I've gone through a "Chemo Lite" (Ha! no such thing) and surgery recently, and would love to do a series of cards on it....

Jennie
04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Elf we would love for you to join us. I do hope that the worst is behind you.

Jennie
04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Hi all just bumping us up to the top so more people can join

Elf
04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Yes, I'm better now, but ready to put some of it into some art!

Jennie
04-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Can't wait to see it

WeAre138
04-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Mine are ready to go, I'll post them out in the next couple of days

Cheery
04-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I would love to join this swap!

Jennie
04-19-2012, 08:19 PM
WelCome to our group Cheery. We're glad you are here

Weare can't wait to see them- please post if you can and want to.

irva
04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
i will be finished this week end address please!

Jennie
04-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Hi everyone I'm just bumping us up to the top for people to find us.

irva
04-22-2012, 11:26 AM
they are going out in the mail tomorrow. have a great time this week everyone! Irva

pixiecorpse
04-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Still lurking! Even more now the mild arthiritis in both hands has flared up! Dang knitting! But it does give me slightly less dark inspiration, once its calmed down n I've caught up a bit more I'll be back :D

Jennie
04-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Hope you come back Pixie. i do understand the times when your hand don't want to work

pixiecorpse
04-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks Jennie! They're ok as long as I don't use smaller than 4mm knitting needles but I had to tempt fate and use 3mm my own fault! I'll know better next time :D

Jennie
04-22-2012, 04:36 PM
What are you kniitting

pixiecorpse
04-22-2012, 05:34 PM
vegetables for a trade, im a bit daft as i'm trading for more wool hehe!

Jennie
04-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Welcome to our group freeflyinangel we're so glad that you have joined us. If you have any questions that aren't in the 1st post please PM me

MelanieS
04-23-2012, 03:44 AM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/9642/large/1_img468-001.jpg
I finsihed one card this weekend. While working on some other swaps, this one called out me. I feel it shows the scarring and imperfection physically (on the outside), while I am and feel whats going on inside my body. Everyone sees me and sees me as a healthy person, but I am far from it. At just 40, I have gone thru and stll go thru, everyday, Lupus, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, Psoriatic Arthritis, Psoriasis, Raynauds, Fibromyalgia, Gastro Reflux problems, and can't forget, COngestive heart failure. I'm not in a wheek chair, but have a handicap parking permit, beacuse I can serverly dizzy, and pass out, if my heart rate gets too low. Anyway, I'm percieved to be "healthy" and this card is shwing my true form.

pixiecorpse
04-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Awesome card melanies!!!! Its beautiful and moving all at the same time!

Jennie
04-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Melanie I'm so sorry you go through that each day. Your cards is very deep and meaningful. It's also beautiful. Thank you for showing it.

One story. I have a handicap plate. i use a cane because of the pain and instability, I have, fibromyalgia, asthma, diabetes, arthritis, I'm bi-polar and have a depressive mood disorder on top. So sitting in a car driving I must look normal. At least once a month I get some one from the retirment city near us yelling at me about taking a handicap space, Is it your Mother's car blah blah blah. So I've taken to being snarly at them pulling out my cane and saying this is my right to park here. I see you can walk over here and through a fit.

Halla
04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Lurking. This swap is calling me although nowadays I'm feeling quite alright and the cards would be more like demons from the past. I need to think about this.

benkenobisgirl
04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
I'd like to sign up, too. And this is my first swap!! :)

Jennie
04-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Halla please consider doing your feelings for now and how whatever makes you feel now.

benkenobisgirl welcome to our group. Please read the entire 1st post and if you have any questions just PM me.

pixiecorpse
04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
They are AWESOME heather!!!!

goatgirl
04-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Wow. I've just been lurking--too chicken to join this swap, but the cards that have been posted thus far are really resonating with me.

Jennie
04-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Well goatgirl we would love to have you join us

Heatherkn- they caught me so off gaurd. We are a lot alike.

Jennie
04-25-2012, 10:34 PM
here are my cards- I have Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Asthma, diabetes, I'm bi-polar and have a major depressive disorder.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/2_Scan_-_Copy.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/7_Scan.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/2_Scan_-_Copy__2_.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/2_Scan_-_Copy__3_.jpg
NOISE, overwhelmed explosion, Can anyone see me, As i grew Up- feelings,

pixiecorpse
04-26-2012, 06:44 AM
They are fantastic Jennie!!!

Jennie
04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I just realized that I don't need to send a host card since I'm the host. I get in the groove and 4 cardss is just what happens

Thank you Pixie!

How are everyones coming along? Remember, you don't have to post if you are uncomfortable and if you don't want to say your illness please don't.

Please feel comfortable here to do what you need to do to make this swap work for you.

Jennie
04-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Oh I amost forgot Mail Call I rec'd wonderful cards from Irva last night. I'm sending you a PM to ask a ? I think one of the things you do might help me.

pixiecorpse
04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't worry I've made 4 cards for my swap too :D I might make more :D

Jennie
04-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm just bumping us up the line for people to see the swap.

pixiecorpse
04-28-2012, 09:01 AM
You can add me Jennie :D seeing as I'm half way through some cards :D
Not getting my knitting done tho hehe

Jennie
04-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm so glad Pixie. I do love you in my swaps.

What are you knitting?

Jennie
04-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Sweetie we need to shorten your name to something like pixie cuz the corpse is kind of Ick

pixiecorpse
04-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Hehe no problem jennie it can be PC or pix if pixie is still too long :D
Still knitting those blinking vegetables! Wanted to do some wrist warmers too!

pixiecorpse
04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
its quite a boring story really :D I got it from one of those websites that gives you your goth name when you type in your real one. And its my etsy shop name although I'm pjamarama on twitter, was trying to keep the confusion to a minimum for myself hehe

Dulci
04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
i wasn't going to swap for a while, recovering from the 10th move in 10 years, but i feel like i need to do this swap. What a great idea and hopefully i will have enough time to do these.

Jennie
04-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Welcome Dulci, I understand, I do hope that you have enough time

bluesybreeze
04-29-2012, 08:33 AM
What a wonderful idea! I haven't been able to do very many cards since a hospitalization in October because of my major depression disorder. I think this swap would be very helpful. I will lurk until I can get the cards done. I have had to withdraw from several swaps lately because I couldn't get the cards done. I really think these will get finished.

Jennie
04-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Bluesy breeze just let me know when you need an address and remind me to add you to my list of wonderful artists.
I'm very sorry that you are going through all of this and I'm happy that you are now out of the hospital.

Art therapy is a wonderful way to show what is not right in your eyes. We all have to see ourselves as normal. (I hate that word) So let's start using the word conventional. Conventional people have illnesses, pain in their lives, and wonderfull things. We have all of those to just at differing amounts.

We may have an auto-immune disease, that tears at our bodys. Others may have mental illnesses that aren't controlled as well as we hoped they would be. On the conventional side they may be arrogant, or unemployed and feel they deserve more money before they take the job. They might have been married 6 times but it's always someone else's fault. All these things are in everyones life. We are as conventional as they, we just don't always tell the world about it. We get up and put on our portable smile, the mask that we wear throughout the day, and everyone thinks we are just fine.

http://www.arttherapy.org/upload/whatisarttherapy.pdf
This is a very good explaination of art therapy. It is really one of the few therapies except meditation that you can do alone.

After I made my 4 cards I had maybe 50 more ideas. If any of you get more done than you were thinking, when it says 3:3 pm me.

Beverley
04-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Is it okay for me to join in the swap, please?

Jennie
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Andi If what you are feeling now Is good. capture that for this swap. We are not all having bad times right now and I hope people won't think back but deal with today. I know that i did. with the exception of how I felt as a kid. I'm in an interesting place. I'm invisable, the world around me is just noise in the backgroud, and believe me when I say that i think that my head will expode when i get pushed to a limit.

But they are all my mental health. i didn't even touch on my pain from fibromyalgia, or arthritis, the fear that come witha huge asthmas attack, or my diabetes. Let's see have i missed anything?

lilywaters
04-30-2012, 02:44 PM
on a clear day i can see 4-ver, but sometimes i can't even imagine tomorrow......so sign me up.

Jennie
04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Lilywaters we are all happy to have you with us

Jennie
04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Would everyone be dolls and look and make sure that you are on my list of sign ups. I don't want to miss anyone

pixiecorpse
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I have 2 in my gallery so far, I'm not technically diagnosed with anything but the first 1 is how I feel most of the time (when I'm not here) I don't have friends in RL all the people I do speak to are other mums at the school gates only getting invited to their houses for the kids playdates etc, and the second one is arthiritis, its not bad enough to warrant medication as yet but its there all the same :D

Jennie
04-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Pixie my love you are my friend. Wait I had to oinch myself to make sure I was RL (that sort of hurt. won't pinch that hard next time)

It's similar to my invisible one. I do know how you feel. They are very wonderful and poinent

pixiecorpse
04-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Hehe thank you jennie! I meant face to face friends but saying that I prefer being here I don't have to get dressed if I don't want to :D and bed hair can scare the kids all day long :D

Jaceslave
04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Love the exploded skull.the other ones are really nice

Jennie
04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Thank you

Jennie
05-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Mail call Wonderful cards from Heatherkn. Thank you for the extra card!

Jennie
05-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Mail Call: Jaceslave 's wonderful cards came today. Thank you so much for the extra. i love the turning chair

Jaceslave
05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I was starting to worry. I thought since some might have depression to show how they use to cure it.

Jennie
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
they are great

Squigglebrain
05-02-2012, 06:43 PM
*sneaks in* I have been lurking... because I didn't want to overburden myself with too many swaps/deadlines, but I really wanna do this one. Can you add me? If I get closer to the deadline, and can't fulfill it, I will pop right in and letcha know. (I have a surgery on June 1st, so I wanna get the cards done /before/ then, but I think that's plenty of time all the same!)

RebeccaG
05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
This sounds interesting. Maybe I am not really ill or terribly depressed, but I'm not that happy either. Would like to join.

Jennie
05-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Welcome to our group squigglebrain, and RebeccaG. We're glad you've joined us.

Jennie
05-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Just bumping us up to the top of the page

Jennie
05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
My last 2 cards. I swear I could have done 12
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/1_Scan0.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/8902/small/1_Scan0_-_Copy.jpg

pixiecorpse
05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
They are fantastic!!!! Wow you are on fire today Jennie!!!!!

Jennie
05-04-2012, 08:23 PM
5 cards one day

pixiecorpse
05-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Wow! Think I've lost my speedy gene! You 2 are fast!

Jennie
05-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Welcome Catey- I'll PM you my address.

Jennie
05-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Just bumping us up the list

lilywaters
05-06-2012, 01:38 PM
i withdraw. from everything.

Jennie
05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm so sorry to see you leave us lilywater

Jennie
05-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Thank you Ink I hope you come back to join us

Jennie
05-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Just bumping us up the list

pixiecorpse
05-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Just 1 more to do from me :D

Joss
05-08-2012, 09:24 AM
I am going to withdraw from this swap Jennie, I just have too much on 'my plate' right now. Sorreeeee.

Jennie
05-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Well maybe one of my next swaps Thanks for letting me know Joss.

pixiecorpse
05-09-2012, 06:49 AM
They are fantastic cards Catey!

Jennie
05-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Wonderful cards cately. Migrraines are horrible

Jennie
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Mail call We Are 138- thank you for the extra blanks always needed.

Jennie
05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Just bumping us up the line

bluesybreeze
05-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Ok, sign me up pa-leaze! I wasn't sure if I was going to have any ideas, but amazingly once I sat down and started working - the ideas started coming. Thanks for hosting this type of swap.

bluesybreeze
05-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Here are two of my cards - one was from dealing with being widowed for 12 years now and being the caregiver for my mom and the other one for the experience of being in a short-time psychiatric hospital for the first time.

Jennie
05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Bluesy they are great. I'm very sorry for your loss. The rest we've been there and you r cards depict it wonderfully

bluesybreeze
05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Ok, my last two, this is a really great swap. I labeled one wrong in my past post, one was about invasive thoughts. One of these is about the psych ward and the other is realizing that even if I don't have a support person, my cat is a real comfort to me.

pixiecorpse
05-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Those are great bluesy! Love the psyche ward card and I know what you mean about the cat kind of I can sit for hours stroking my kids hair especially the teeny one! Makes me feel so much better :D

irva
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
very exspessive Melanie.you can feel your emotions

kitty2287
05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Please sign me up.
Laurie

Jennie
05-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the group kitty2287 glad you have joined us

bluesybreeze- they are wonderful cards all 4. Now that my girls are all grown up. I have a wonderful husband that is very active as well in music as works full time. I have the girls to keep me company. A blind 11 year old miniture sheltie/Chinese Crested and a silly as all get out almost deaf 2 year old chi-weenie- chihuahua/daschund. the older one has a lot of empanthy but unfortunately has never been the smartest dog. The little one not only makes me laugh, she is in her terrible twos, but when I need her she just knows it, and there she is sitting next to me from whereever she was playing. Our animals are wonderful caretakers.

pixiecorpse
05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Mine are all in my gallery :D

flyingpigs24
05-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Sign me up please!

Jennie
05-18-2012, 07:05 PM
welcome Flyingpigs24-glad to have you

Jennie
05-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Pixie they are great.

ascrisman I really hope that they are all here signed up. Next you should do my Hope swap that I have listed. It's sort the next one we talk about our hurt and them what hopw is to us.

Jennie
05-19-2012, 08:48 PM
just bumping us up the line

pixiecorpse
05-20-2012, 03:31 AM
Thanks Jennie! Hoping hubby can fix pc today so I can scan everything so I can get them mailed asap :D

Evalila
05-20-2012, 12:25 PM
I just finished my third card. Still thinking about a fourth one. I have so many ideas floating around in my brain that I could make a dozen cards, but I have a hard time to put these thoughts and feelings on a card actually....:wacko:

Im bipolar and this is like youre riding a roller coaster. I have a maior depressive episode - actually its more than a episode since its become chronical. Lithium and several anti-depressants help me to get along, but often I feel so empty - and different from all other people around me.

Jennie
05-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Evalila they are wonderful. I understand when you said that you could thnk of lots of cards but that it was hard to put it on a card. for me it was like an admittion of something that I was taught as a little kid never to tell anyone. I was diagnosed manic depressive at 4 years old. and was told by my mother and the doctor, not to tell anyone because they would want to put me away.

pixiecorpse
05-20-2012, 02:07 PM
They are wonderful evalila!!!

Jennie
05-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Mail Call I rec'd cards from Dulci- thank you for the extra. They are wonderful

The one thing that I'm hearing from almost everyone that has sent in cards was that they could have thought of many more cards to do, But it was such a difficult swap to do. I did my cards right away because I was afraid it would become to overwhenlming. By the last one The head with all the words was the most overwhelming card for me. There simply wasn't enough space for all the words on my list. If I could have drawn it 8x 10 I still don't think there would have been enough space. It's just the way it is. Seems my brain is a bit out of control, and when it's controled I feel as though there is no creativity, no laughing, stagnant.

For me this is such an incredible swap. i expected maybe 4 or 5 participants and there are more than 30 and the art is incredible. Thank you all for taking this swap so to heart.

sassy
05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
i'm ready to join :-)

Jennie
05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Wonderful Sassy So glad you've joined us

Jennie
05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Mail Call: Wonderful Collages from Rainy day
BluesyBreezey awesome cards thank you for the extra card.

sunshineshadow
05-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes, please. Jennie I'd like to join.

Palmira
05-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks for this great idea for a swap. I can't wait to get a partner to send an ATC.

Palmira

Jennie
05-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Welcome to sunshineshadow and Palmira. I'm so glad that you joined us

Palmira
05-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Thank you, I am very happy to be with the group and this swap. Mine are ready to go and mailed today.

Jennie
05-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Can't wait to see them

Evalila
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Sometimes, when I think about - or realise - that Ill never be what most people call "normal" or "healthy", I just want to scream my heart out.

Jennie
05-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Evelyn, I feel that same exact way. I really hate the word normal and healthy. What exactly are the benchmarks for that. Am I normal and healthy on the days I feel ok. When I don't hurt everywhere, and my mind is happy.

instead of normal it should be "ordinary" which would make us the antoym Which is "extraordinary".

Healthy would then be, "slightly amiss".

So today I am extraordinary and slightly amiss. Love your picture

Jennie
05-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Mail Call- I rec'd wonderful cards from Kitty2287- Thank you for the extra

Ladies and gentlemen where as I am extraordinary I do lack psychic abilities, (Now that might be a neat thing to have.)Anyway I do lack psychic abilities and therefore would greatly appreciate your user name and which swap this is for on the back of the envelope. I have to admit guessing is so fun, but at times, it's very time consuming.

pixiecorpse
05-24-2012, 03:33 PM
i feel like your picture right now but its aimed at technology...I will get this pc working so i can scan pictures!!! driving me potty.

thats a good point Jennie, i've actually gone to post something a few times then deleted it, especially with not having any specific medical condition it sometimes feels like i'm just not extraordinary enough,but not ordinary enough either...

Jennie
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
oooo Pixie I think your perfect. You can also photograph your cards I did that for almost a year before we got out scanner. It wasn't fun but it got the job done.

tlsexton0913
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Ok, lurking for now. If I can think of how to put my "issues" into something I will play.

Jennie
05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
I hope you can Tammy, but if not never a problem. i'll just keep iviting you until one of the swaps fit your time frame. i know how busy we all are

pixiecorpse
05-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Awww thanks jennie! I like to scan them so I can make prints, but I didn't manage to fix it last night, maybe today we shall see

Jennie
05-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Welcoming Butterfly4 and akindajoy thanks fir joining us

Jennie
05-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Pixie just mail them and remind me when I get them to post them for you

pixiecorpse
05-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks jennie I think I managed it with my phone, just means I have to adjust them through pc maybe...
Anyway they're on their way to you :D

Jennie
05-26-2012, 07:47 AM
wonderful can't wait to aee them

pixiecorpse
05-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Hopefully they won't take too long,got them in before the pick up :D

bluesybreeze
05-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Wow, there are so many amazing cards being done here. What a great swap and some wonderful comments, too. Prison...uh ...I mean school, SCHOOL - Our last day of school was Friday so hopefully I will be able to keep up with the thread more.

Jennie
05-26-2012, 01:01 PM
My one daughter is getting her masters in August so she has one summer semester left and she will then immediately start on her doctorate. She does refer to it as feeling incarcerated for a long time. This is my daughter that is also dealing with reacurrent melanomas, and just finished radiation treatments for that. And works a full schedule in a job that isn't at all in her field. She will have a masters in Anthropomorfic genetics. Her hope is to save species while making them better able to survive on today's earth. But then in a laughing tone she says really all she wants to do is breed tigers down to be the size of a small house cat, because she has always wanted one. So even in the midst ofa full plate and illness there is still a lot of laughter.

Jennie
05-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Mail Call- Cards from ELF graced my mailbox today

Jennie
05-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Mail Call: Wonderful art from akindajoy, Sassy, and Palmira, Thank youfor the wonderful extra card, I love the happiness is shows

Palmira
05-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Thank you Jennie. I smile when I think about you and the group. It is so nice to have a wonderful support group in art.

Jennie
05-30-2012, 12:15 PM
We'd like to welcome you, thank you for joining us promandis

theweavershand
05-31-2012, 02:39 AM
ive had the swap percolating in my mind for quite a while and im ready to see if i can put my issues into images. i am so humbled and encouraged by all the stories and the pain that has been shared so far in this thread. its true that you never know what is going on behind the facade we all wear. im amazed to know that so many of you struggle with the same things that i do and so much more.

anyway...please sign me up. my cards are in the works.

Evalila
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
My cards are on their way across the pond:)

Jennie
05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Thank you for letting me know Evalila. I'll be looking for them

theweavershand
06-01-2012, 04:09 AM
may i join?

Jennie
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Absolutely Weaver Welcome to the group

Mail Call- Pixiecorpse your wonderful cards were in the mail yesterday. thank you for the extra.

pixiecorpse
06-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Yay! Glad they arrived safe and sound! And your very welcome :D

Jennie
06-01-2012, 02:20 PM
If you all get a chance look at how many people have signed up for this swap as weavershands said in post #183 it's amazing to know people have such problems. We deal with them with grace and without whining, we always show a shiney happy face and we are all very compationate, and kind hearted to people because of what we ourselves are going through. We know that there are always those who are worse and we are thankful that it isn't us, but it doesn't change the fact that we do have pain from illnesses, mental illnesses and all that go with them, and that feeling of why.

The cards I have rec'd up until now are incredible. They are the best cards and the best responce that I've ever had in a swap.

pixiecorpse
06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Such a wonderful thing to say! :D

Jennie
06-02-2012, 07:40 PM
welcome Blueborealis

Theatrerachel
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm respectfully requesting to participate!

theweavershand
06-05-2012, 06:23 PM
here are mine. compared to so many of you my problems seem minimal but in my life...they are crippling. depression has been a part of my life since i was 16 and although i didnt recognize what it was until recently...anxiety has been a part of me for as long as i can remember. as i get older my anxiety becomes worse and worse and although im on medication for it...i rarely leave my house. ive had about 35 jobs in the last 25 years or so. many lasted no more than a day or a week. the longest ive ever been able to tough it out was 15 months. my family has struggled financially because of my inability to help provide. we are losing our home and barely able to care for our kids all because i am incapable of doing what the rest of the world does with ease...work. ive looked into disability but ive been turned down and told that i dont have enough documentation of my issues to ever qualify which just adds to my feelings of guilt and inadequacy. i am blessed with a family who loves me very, very much despite my issues. my art is my refuge and my peace. if i could make enough money to just feel like i was helping out i wouldnt feel so much guilt. ive passed on my anxiety issues to at least one of my kids so i now have the added guilt of feeling like ive crippled them with my issues. anyway...thats my story. im a master at putting on a happy face and when i do go out, youd never know i have these issues. inside, however, the panic is bubbling away and threatening to erupt every second. thanks for the opportunity to put these feelings into words and art.

oh...and im not on the list yet.

bluesybreeze
06-05-2012, 07:10 PM
theweavershand, I am so happy that you shared your world with us. Trust me, you are totally with non-judgemental empathetic people . As far as I know there is not a scale around that rates how much a person is suffering compared to another, and why should there be? All of our experiences and conditions are our own. You are with a group now that can understand where you are coming from and I, personally think you have been incredibly strong to have survived and have developed your own therapy program (your art) without (it seems) much help from anyone else. Also, why do you feel so quilty? If you had MS and couldn't work would you feel quilty then? You did not ask for this condition, it is not a punshiment. I fear that you might be buying into the concept that mental illnesses are a weakness, trust me they are not. Right here on this website are some amazingly strong women that have overcome obstacles that would have waylaid others. I'm sorry if it sounds like I am lecturing, but I admire you too much to see you beat yourself up like this. I think you are an amazingly fabulous artist, and a wonderful caring person.:wubclub:

HeatherR
06-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I agree with bluesybreeze. This is a great swap idea. Please add me.

big toe studio
06-05-2012, 10:02 PM
when I first saw this swap, I thought, "I could do lots of cards, and it would feel good to get it out, but why would I want to look at the pain of someone else"?
But, reading the thread, I get it--you finally know YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Im really not ill,but my husband has Alzheimers D. and I feel trapped, resentful, angry and very "put-upon" to have a 5 year old again.
if this qualifies me, sign me up,Jennie

IM with you, Evalila, sometimes I just want to scream my head off

Jennie
06-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Weavershand thank you for sharing something that so many of us feel guilt over. We all need to learn to accept ourselves for who and how we are, with what ever disability, mental health illness, or disease we are handed. All of you have been so brave to share here in this open swap and I thank you all. I will add you right away to the list.

HeatherR and madamerouleau wlecome I will add you to the list as well.

Mail call for today: I rec'd wonderful cards from Evalila, thank you for the extra card. Cards also came from RebeccaG, thank you for the extra card. In each set of cards that come I can see a bit of myself. What a theraputic time this is for me, just to know that I'm not alone with my feelings.

Jennie
06-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Big toe studio- You as a caretaker qualifies completely. The pain of slowly loosing someone that you've been with for years, is so difficult because you are trapped. I'm sure that you want to scream at times, welcome

Kath
06-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Jennie, I'm almost ready to mail my cards out. I have to say they weren't as easy as I anticipated! Like you said earlier, we usually want to create art that lifts us up, so actually putting this other 'self' out there I found somewhat hard, as normally I try to hide that part of me. In making the cards I was never sure if what I was trying to convey would get across, anyway it's been an interesting challenge!

theweavershand
06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
theweavershand, I am so happy that you shared your world with us. Trust me, you are totally with non-judgemental empathetic people . As far as I know there is not a scale around that rates how much a person is suffering compared to another, and why should there be? All of our experiences and conditions are our own. You are with a group now that can understand where you are coming from and I, personally think you have been incredibly strong to have survived and have developed your own therapy program (your art) without (it seems) much help from anyone else. Also, why do you feel so quilty? If you had MS and couldn't work would you feel quilty then? You did not ask for this condition, it is not a punshiment. I fear that you might be buying into the concept that mental illnesses are a weakness, trust me they are not. Right here on this website are some amazingly strong women that have overcome obstacles that would have waylaid others. I'm sorry if it sounds like I am lecturing, but I admire you too much to see you beat yourself up like this. I think you are an amazingly fabulous artist, and a wonderful caring person.:wubclub:

thanks so much for your sweet words, Brenda. i guess although i think its crap and i would never tell anyone to do it...i still sometimes feel like i should be able to (and i really cant believe im even typing this. it puts my teeth on edge just thinking it) "pull myself up by my bootstraps" like every other normal human being and do what is necessary for my family whether it makes every moment torture and i have to be completely miserable. at least then my family would have what it needs and my kids wouldnt always have to go without or rely on the kindness of friends.
you can lecture me anytime. sometimes i just need to hear from someone outside my situation...esp someone i respect as much as you.

Jennie
06-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Kath I can't wait to see them.

Amy my dear, you are doing just what you can do. You have pulled up your boot straps as far as they will go. You and all of us have been dealt short boot straps. That is what my mother says. And it makes me want to scream. Amy and all of us did we chose to be depressed, agorophobic, bi-polar, Schzophrenic, Autistic, anorexic or bulimic. To have PTSD, alzheimers, arthritis, fibromyalgia, asthma, COPD, diabetes, Multiple sclerosis, cancer, to be a care taker,... My gosh I could go on forever. None of us have chosen to be ill, because if any of us had I'd have added couldn't pull up boot straps as an illness.

Illness is just that. An unexpected and uncontrolable part of life. All the toys, electronics and games, new clothing instead of hand me downs, will not replace a mother that acts happy, plays board games, plays in the back yard with the hose, helps with homework, is their loving and not upset. Our children remember us as we act, If we sleep all day, hide in the bedroom, whatever your MO is.

Amy and everyone, I want you to know that you are fine, caring, and lovable just as you are and I have grown to love you all and have such respect for all of you through this swap.

MelanieS
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I have been struggling for the last few days with my life's worth. I have been depressed all my life, drugs have taken the edge off, but have not taken it away. The last few days, dealing with my daughter's struggle with anxieties have really thrown me into a downward spiral. I even stopped taking all my medications, in hope of a slow death...LOL! ha, it just made me extremely sore, achey, nauseous, and with bad acid reflux. My heart also didn't like it, as I had congestive heart failure almost 4 years ago. I am on 2 heart meds, and not taking them caused my heart rate over 100 per min. So, another thing to be depressed about...that my body is being embalmed with these chemicals, preserving my life, for what? My 11 yr. old tells me she hates me on a daily basis, my husband only argues with me, the only people glad to see me are my cats ~ mostly for food or for a warm spot to sit.
Anyway, thank you for letting me rant. And thank you for sharing your stories here. It is nice to know that I am not alone. I wish we could all just get over it, and have happy days from now and forever.....hugs

theweavershand
06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
oh Melanie...im sitting here stewing in my own mess...found out the house is being sold at auction on July 3rd...no money to move and no where to rent...and all i want to do is reach out and hug you and tell you you are worth so much more than you even realize. ive had those days where ive actually just prayed to die. you may not feel like you make a difference in this world but youve made a difference in mine...just by being there, sharing your heart and your art. i know im just a faceless person out there somewhere but i know im not alone in seeing your infinite value.

Jennie
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Amy, your job now is to pack boxes. For you and your husband it's time to call in favors among friends, family, and if you have one church. Certainly you would help if you could. Find a store with boxes and start to prepare your children for the move. Not because mom and dad lost the house but because :) We're moving :). On my street alone of 9 houses only 4 have not been sold by the bank, on other streets the percentage is higher. we've owned our home for 17 years and we are refinancing because we owe less than it was worth then. This is a world wide problem that has hurt you and your family greatly Hugs

theweavershand
06-08-2012, 01:22 AM
we all knew it was coming. the issue now is finding a place to rent that we qualify for and that allows our last one in school to stay in her school.

Jennie
06-08-2012, 08:29 AM
well it may not be ideal, but your last one might be able to get a varience for which school they go to. Iknow in my heart that this will work out {{{hugs}}}

Palmira
06-08-2012, 12:43 PM
It is so encouraging to know there is a place to post what we are going thru and find supportive love and caring among friends. I am glad to be a part of this group. It has helped me alot for the short time I've been here. Things always feel and look worse when we are feeling bad. When I am in a lot of pain, I notice depression becomes a part of it because I am unable to to do anything that resembles a normal part of my life. I have never suffered from depression and my heart goes out to all of you that have had to deal with it most of your life. I then have noticed that with the depression comes self-loathing which I know is not from the Lord! Because "He has not given me a spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind." I do hang on to my faith and my family/friends. It would be hard to make it without them.

Jennie
06-08-2012, 01:19 PM
So well put Palmira.

For those of you that would like to continue t have a place to go to talk about feelings and to support one another there is a social group on this site called- Artists with depression and other illnesses at - http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/group.php I love this site because a lot of questions are answered by the group becasue they have all been there before.

For those that would like a place to talk and pray for Christians please look at- http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/group.php?groupid=82 I am the group creater for this site. And we have some interesting discussions and prayer. I know It isn't for enveryone and a lot of people who are having medical problems are angry with whom ever their God is.

There is also Disabled/ retired/ and stay at home moms at - http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/group.php?groupid=45 I haven't gone into this group but it does look like a nice group of people.

jensaz
06-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm going to have to remove myself from this swap. I just can't make cards that I'm willing to share and now I'm running out of time... Just started 2 evening classes so my craft time has been cut...

Thank you for hosting tho, it's an awesome idea.

Jennie
06-08-2012, 08:07 PM
I understand Jen

big toe studio
06-08-2012, 11:44 PM
I thought it would be such a relief to get all this out, BUT . Im sure Im not the only one who pushed my wants and feelings to the background (or denied them altogether) for so long. It is harder than I thought to pull them out in the open and put them in physical form.
working on it though

Joss
06-09-2012, 07:22 AM
OMG I am running late- will get into this over this weekend. soon, haven't forgotten- my bro#s here for 2 weeks till 18th. Love all the stories and sharing- will be back to read it all in depth.

pixiecorpse
06-09-2012, 07:53 AM
I know how you feel big toe! I struggles a bit now they're gone and lots of poop has come our way I could probably make more!
In the space of a week I have a friend who is having tests for bowel problems and he's scared its cancer, hubby fainted thursday night in the bathroom which he then decided he'd collapsed since seeing his doctor so he has to go for tests for blood pressure and heart issues, and then last night my father in law was taken to hospital for a blood transfusion because of severe aneamia (can't spell) and this morning they think he might have internal bleeding.
Even with all that I'm still in awe of how you all can share so much of yourselves and I am so grateful to see everyones amazing artwork!

Jennie
06-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Sherrie- This is the time for you to be about you and not your husband. It's difficult for you because you are such a kind and dear woman and you love Ed so much. You are allowed your feelings and if you continue to stop them it will show in your health and ability to care for Ed.

Oh my gosh Joss so glad you didn't forget us. We'd have been so upset. Enjoy your brother in between us ;)

So much on your plate. Then you can add children, trying to get a job, pain, and everything else. You are a strong woman.

Jennie
06-09-2012, 12:48 PM
If I have already told you this I'm sorry for repeating myself. When our girls were little (they are 24 and 27 now) there were days that I was mentally too upset with everything to deal with one more spilled drink, fight over a toy, call from my MIL telling me how worthless I was, call from my mom and her games of guilt and putdowns. Just plain had enough and the waterworks were coming. I'd put in a movie for the girls, which was a treat or mommy's gonna cry, and I go sit in my closet and cry. So my oldest would get on the phone and call her father at work.

The whole conversation would go like this- "Hi, Daddy,... Mommies in the closet.... no she hasn't been on the phone.... well yes we were fighting... Mary dumped the milk on the floor because she didn't ask for help...no, mommy just cleaned it up... I really think it hasn't been too good around here... yes we've been animals. Mary is ocsar the grouch and i've been a testy tiger...she's still crying, I think you should work at home now.... OK see you in ten minutes.

When he got home they would be sitting watching the movie like angels and I'd be praying in the closet and crying. I do have a wonderful DH.

theweavershand
06-09-2012, 03:55 PM
that is so heartbreaking and so incredibly familiar. the first 2 or 3 years of my marriage were the loneliest and most miserable time of my life. my wonderful husband was working up to 80 hours a week...i was a new mom, far from my family and friends, in a town where i knew no one. it seems like another lifetime and id never want to go back there again but im thankful to have survived it and thankful that in the years since i have learned so much more about myself and how i tick, raised 4 incredible kids and now have 2 beautiful grandchildren to enjoy. my husband has dealt with so much and stuck by me through it all. he loves me unconditionally and supports me and cherishes me even when im at my absolute lowest. i dont know where i would be without him.
thank you for sharing that, Jennie. it made me realize again how very thankful i am to be where i am and not where i was...or should i say who i am and not who i was. some people talk about wanting to be younger but you couldnt pay me to go back to my 20s. im so very glad to not be that clueless and miserable anymore.

Joss
06-10-2012, 04:19 AM
Yahoooo, I did mine last night after everyone was in bed! I have had anorexia and bulimia and depression for over 30 years, but am slowly recovering from my eating disorder. I take daily antidepressants and live each day to the full! Every day is s truggle with food for me-to eat something, not to eat too much, not to hate myself when I do eat, not to binge or vomit or starve.
My heart goes out to you all, and my advice is ART ART ART! It has definitely turned my life around. I love sitting down and expressing myself and now I am a selling artist too, which is just the BEST!
Life is good, no matter what it throws at us, so please everyone out there- go one step at a time, even one minute at a time, when things get truly rough, and soon it will get better or 'appear to get better'.
This is all we have, the cards have been dealt to us, we must love ourselves and 'stop to smell the roses/coffee/smelly socks' as often as we can.
I am 'here' for you to talk to, any time you need me! (I have a diploma in Counselling, Stress Management and Anger Management).
Here they are, thanks for hosting such an interesting and emotive swap.

pixiecorpse
06-10-2012, 08:02 AM
They are wonderful Joss!

Yay father in law is ok now so that's one less thing to worry about! I spoke to my next door neighbour today and she was telling me about her husband who's been quite ill with gall stones but that he's recovering well now. I told hubby and the first thing that came out of his mouth was *did you tell her about me* his self centred attitude is quite appalling! Makes me even more appreciative of you all when you go through all that you do and can still find the time for kindness for other people...

big toe studio
06-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks Jennie. You are right. My 1st 2 cards still focused on him and the disease, not my feelings.

so heres my 3rd card made,but 1st submitted

"Trapped"

pixiecorpse
06-10-2012, 12:29 PM
That is an awesome card big toe! I feel just like that most of the time! Hubby goes on about me making friends and going round for coffe and stuff but only when it suits him! He was not impressed the bus was late home on thursday from work...like I have a say in how the buses run!

Jennie
06-10-2012, 01:39 PM
It is so hard when you are a caregiver of an adult who is now a child again. Also a child that might know you one day and another think you are his mother or the queen of England. All of those seemingly simple things that you have written are impossible when he isn't ok about going out, or you can't control him walking off. There are just places that you can't take him with you.
I'm so sorry that you are having to loose him a little at a time
Blessings

Jennie
06-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Mail Call: We I really loved this envelope. Mail came from Cheery, with a note that things are going well her cards are stunning and for a lot of us right to the point. Also she sent me 4 of her gorgeous cards as a gift. The 4 cards are really perfect for how I am and feel. Thank you so much.

HeatherR
06-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Well I completed three cards. My family thinks they look kind of crazy so I thought I'd explain before I post them. I have Arnold Chiari Malformation 1 (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chiari-malformation/DS00839). My most painful symptoms (http://www.chiarione.org/symptoms.html) are frequent migraines, severe neck pain. The worst part though is the medication. It makes me stutter, I can't hold ideas very long, among other things. I am an author who struggles to write because the ideas bounce and disappear. I speak publicly and yet struggle to think of the right words most of the time. The first card is of the ideas that used to come so freely suddenly webbed and walled off. Second card is actually my neck. All those circles are actually my spine all crooked and brittle. The feel like they will break just holding my head up. The last is an eye, filled with tears and stubborn determination. Most of what I do is painful. Everything I do is hard. Yet, I won't stop doing what I love for anything. The pain won't stop me. I hope it doesn't stop any of you either. ((Hugs)) to all. Super thanks for hosting this swap. I might have more for you too. I'll pm ya. It feels good to get it out.

HeatherR
06-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I added links on Chiari, but not sure why links are present for the words "completed", and "neck pain". I didn't add them. Sorry.

big toe studio
06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
aside from telling about our particular conditions, Im so glad we are giving explainations of each card.

And, IM learning so much--Heather, I never even heard the name of your condition before
WOW, what a life we are each dealing with. Thank you Jennie sooo much for hostess-ing this swap. It almost feels like it should be on-going like a JAM. Or, does the depression group do swaps?

anyway, still struggling to get this on paper

Jennie
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
here are a couple of neurological sites that explain the disease of Arnold Chiari Malformations
http://www.aans.org/en/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Chiari%20Malformation.aspx
http://www.cornellneurosurgery.org/chiari/
All 4 type can be deadly. Surgery is only sugested in number one that pinches the spine because the hole at the base of the skull is too small. I'm unsure if this condition causes brittle bones of the spine as Heather discribes, but severe pain and migraines throughout the body are horrible. {{{hugs }}}}

No the social group can't do internal swaps, per our rules. That's how it ended up out here in swap land. But I think that we use our art as a way to continue life and not go out of our minds. I do think that this should be a once a year swap though. Seeing how many people have signed up. There are 42 of us

I also think that I would like to keep you all as friends after this. So you know my pm.

theweavershand
06-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Heather, you dear sweet thing. youd never know from your art or your wonderful personality that you are suffering so. your cards are beautiful and so meaningful! the eye is especially touching and the way youve illustrated your neck issues is inspired. thanks so much for sharing with us.

big toe studio
06-12-2012, 03:01 AM
angela:good for you-we cant let others dictate your actions. they dont have a clue whats going on. I always want to say "all handicaps arent visible, you know" .
Doing ATCs is my major way of combating this trapped feeling

Jennie
06-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Mail Call wonderful cards from Kath. Kath, I feel like what your cards depict. It was like looking at my self.

PinkZombie
06-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Please sign me up. Mine are almost finished.

Jennie
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Can't wait to see them

PinkZombie
06-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Ok so... here are mine.

Top left is a lighthearted attempt at living with OCD. My OCD used to be extrememly bad, but I have worked on it mentally over the past few years and I am at a very manageable level now. I still wanted to make one over the suffering I put up with for years though.

Top right is arguments/yelling. The gears symbolize that it always keeps going, round and round. It's important to me because I really do try to be nice to people but people always get mad at me and arguments happen. I know I'm not perfect either, but so many times I try to be calm and rational and it never helps.

Bottom left is how I feel from family that I thought were friends. I told them stuff, and it was all used against me to make me feel as terrible and worthless as possible. (The knife is shiny but you can't tell in pic.)

Bottom right is the words those same "friends" decided to call me, among others. The black silhouette symbolizes the empty feeling it caused.

pixiecorpse
06-14-2012, 01:45 AM
They are so beautiful pink! And very moving!

Jennie
06-14-2012, 01:33 PM
So great pink Zombie

PinkZombie
06-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks :) I was really happy to find that silhouette in a magazine, it worked great. I don't know if you can see in the OCD one but it's "Seconds since last OCD attack" and it has the counting marks, and at one point she does something OCD and it's only 3 marks and then crap... and then starts the counting all over again. :mad:

pixiecorpse
06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I saw that! Thought it was amazing! Love the background on the OCD one too! :D

pixiecorpse
06-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I hope your taking it easy ASchaum!

big toe studio
06-15-2012, 06:00 PM
It just breaks my heart to see this genius of a man fading away--thus the vacant eyes

Jennie
06-15-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm so sorry Sherrie.

Pilarfarmer welcome to our group, I know that people send in similar cards to swaps, but as a host I'm not fond of that. First because we are artists. I love when A set tells a story or depicts different things from a theme. I think if you look through the pages of this swap, you'll get the idea.

Jennie
06-15-2012, 09:04 PM
So glad that you have found us

Palmira
06-15-2012, 11:03 PM
PinkZombie, your art is incredible, it invoked such strong emotions in me. Thank you very much for sharing.

pixiecorpse
06-16-2012, 02:49 AM
They are fantastic cards ASchaum! Glad your taking it easy, although resting isn't always as easy as they think it is! A lady came in my shop yesterday and asked for something to be kept for her until she could pick it up later, she had had surgery on her back 4 weeks ago, and her daughter is in germany and had her new baby by c section so she hasn't been able to visit.

pixiecorpse
06-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Just have to share... My friend was supposed to come to see me today but ended up going back to hospital after a few days in and out of there, they'd found an ulcer and gave him tablets to kill bacteria the other day, but it seems they are crippling his liver at the same time, he can't not take them because of the ulcer and he doesn't want to take them because they'll make him ill! :wacko: its completely messed up!

theweavershand
06-16-2012, 03:56 PM
mine are in the mail to you, Jennie.

pixiecorpse
06-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Hope the move went with little stress theweavershand :D

Jennie
06-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Welcome Bleedingart, glad you found us

theweavershand
06-16-2012, 05:23 PM
thanks...still packing up the house. we'll start moving next weekend. wanted to go ahead and get the P.O. Box so my returns on several swaps could find me. :D

pixiecorpse
06-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Good luck for next weekend! And go you for being super organised! I would never have thought of that!
We need to move, think maybe once kids break off from school, or sooner if anything else breaks down!

theweavershand
06-16-2012, 05:56 PM
well we know we'll have to move at least twice in a relatively short period of time. just saves us the hassle of changing it again and again. glad i thought of it when i did. had 3 swaps ready to mail out and it suddenly dawned on me that by the time the returns came back...we wouldnt be here anymore.

MelanieS
06-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Jennie, thank you so much again! Had some chats with some of my fave long distance friends, Els, and Meran, at the AFA conference. Els, said that I should listen to you and that you are a great lady, and I agree. After a few tears, and hugs, I'm back to my "normal" life. Hoping I have the strength and energy to keep going. I have a few days to take a short breather, then my parents will be visiting at my house for a week. Talk about stress! I have one more card to finish and I will mail them to you!

Squigglebrain
06-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Oh PinkZombie... I love your cards- especially the one with the counting/OCD. OH my GAWDS I laughed, but not AT, WITH. I have days where I am taking stock of things and lose track of the count, and I can totally relate, even tho for me it's not OCD. It just struck my funny bone when I most needed it. You ROCK.

*hugs*

Squigglebrain
06-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Just a heads up- apparently I planned to do the ATC's for this BEFORE my latest surgery, and then either forgot or was too sick to get it done. So tonight I was canvassing my notepad with the lists of what is due- and had apparently mistakenly placed this one with ones due in JULY, not JUNE... so I am waaaaay behind, having not /made/ the ATC's yet.

HOWEVER.... I am recovering and working on ATC's for other swaps (I have limited sit-time. they did bad things to my backside, darnit!) and I plan to put this one on top so I can still make it in... hold yer breath for me! (well, maybe not... just cross fingers or send a moment of good energy- no one pass out. I am sloooow sometimes.) and hopefully I will make the deadline! I have tons of ideas and feelings to get out of me, and onto cards!!

:)

pixiecorpse
06-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Fingers firmly crossed for you squigglebrain! :D

Jennie
06-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Squiggle please do the the cards, I can't wait to see what they look like.

Jennie
06-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I totally understand madame thank you for letting me know.

Jennie
06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Just a reminder- We have just one more week to get them into the mail and off to me. This has been such a meaningful swap for me thank you

PinkZombie
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Oh PinkZombie... I love your cards- especially the one with the counting/OCD. OH my GAWDS I laughed, but not AT, WITH. I have days where I am taking stock of things and lose track of the count, and I can totally relate, even tho for me it's not OCD. It just struck my funny bone when I most needed it. You ROCK.

*hugs*

Jennie
06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I understand totally aschrisman

Phoenix
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry to say, I have to withdraw from this swap.

PinkZombie
06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Have mine arrived yet? Should be there soon. You haven't added me to the list on the first page yet either :P

Jennie
06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
BleedingArt don't worry it happens to us all. Just PM me with the information

Jennie
06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I understand Phoenix thanks for letting me know

Pink Zombie, I think they are here. I've been trying to keep up with it all while I've been ill, but I do believe thery are here

PinkZombie
06-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Ok was just checking. Hope you feel better soon!!

Jennie
06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Ok Mail Call
Rec'd wonderful cards from- PinkZombie, Thank you for the extra
Theatrerachel, Thank yoou for the extra
aschaum, thank you also for the extra card
And Joss, Thank you also.
All of you were so sweet to send hostie cards I so appreciate it

PinkZombie
06-20-2012, 10:11 PM
The fringe on the carpet. LOL I do that. Always have even as a kid. And I was not a neat kid.

beyondshay
06-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Ooooooh I hear ya Pink!!! The weirdness of OCD...I used to vacuum excessively, somehow I got past that one and now you'd NEVER know I had that compulsion!!! LAAAUUUGHING...The Mind is a FUNNY THING :wacko: *giggle*

big toe studio
06-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Shay: all your cards are outstanding, especially excellent depiction of anxiety.

big toe studio
06-21-2012, 12:45 PM
happy face

Smiling on the outside----screaming on the inside

finally done, in the mail today

pixiecorpse
06-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Love the cards shay and big toe!