PDA

View Full Version : Celebration.... Learn-a-thon, Aug 13 to Aug 20, 2012

Linda4atc
08-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Monday Aug 13 to Monday Aug 20
We are all in different time zones so the times are very flexible.

I am celebrating being able to get online from home again. I missed not being able to check in with you all several times a day! :cute:

The goal here is not trading but learning, so feel free to work with whatever size you want. I may work in a sketchbook. This said if you do wish to trade with someone that is totally up to the two of you..

General goals

1) To use those How to Draw books most of us have sitting around collecting dust.
2) To do the lessons and to get lots of practice.
3) To practice, practice, have fun and practice.

Rules

1) Have Fun and Learn
2) Use lessons from any book or even an online site to study from.
3) Optional … Share what you are working on
4) We can all encourage each other not to give up. To have fun and to try to stretch our abilities….

Any Questions just ask!

KESagers
08-11-2012, 02:07 PM
I was just thinking about the last one you hosted. It was so much fun!

CynthiaSillitoe
08-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Count me in. :)

Linda4atc
08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
So what's up anyone working on anything today? So far I have just been getting my Olympic-a-thon trades ready to mail. I have my books ready to do some drawing lessions later today.

miloccpep
08-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Count me in! I learn something new everyday. Right now it is an intergenerational literary equation - 10 x 10, where 10 seniors paired up with 10 young adult (under 21). I learnt 'Haiku' on the 1st or 2nd lesson. Will chat with your girls more later. Getting ready to leave the house.

sharlene54
08-13-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure. I did want to try backed sticky canvas. I bought some on sale, of course. It has been unused and I really want to give it a try.

First, I have to mail all my envies from the last marathon. When that is done, I'll try to join in. I got behind in some of my mailings and I don't want that to happen again.

CynthiaSillitoe
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I hope tomorrow to get my new zentangle pens. (I've discovered that the 08 microns are the ones I like. Of course, first I tried the 01s, 05s, and 005s...) My other ones totally died. So today I did a little scribbling of patterns, but couldn't get them right. Still, it's practice, right?

Linda4atc
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Count me in! I learn something new everyday. Right now it is a intergenerational literary project where 10 seniors paired up with 10 young adult (under 21). I learnt 'Haiku' on the 1st or 2nd lesson. Will chat with your girls more later. Getting ready to leave the house.

That sounds great share a little Haiku of yours with us.

I'm not sure. I did want to try backed sticky canvas. I bought some on sale, of course. It has been unused and I really want to give it a try.

First, I have to mail all my envies from the last marathon. When that is done, I'll try to join in. I got behind in some of my mailings and I don't want that to happen again.
I think I updated all my trades, but still waiting on a couple replies. And I still have to back some, and get them into envelopes.

I hope tomorrow to get my new zentangle pens. (I've discovered that the 08 microns are the ones I like. Of course, first I tried the 01s, 05s, and 005s...) My other ones totally died. So today I did a little scribbling of patterns, but couldn't get them right. Still, it's practice, right?
I really want to order some copic ink refills and their multiliners but haven't done it yet. And yes practicing is part of learning. During the Olympic-a-thon I did several beeswax pieces which is something I learned in Portland AFA and I'm still learning things on that.

CynthiaSillitoe
08-13-2012, 11:13 PM
It's amazing the difference when you find the right tool. Although I liked Prismas and the other sizes of microns for other things, I just couldn't get the fine Zentangle look I wanted. As soon as I tried the 08s, I knew I had found my zen pen. The tip is almost like a marker, though slimmer than a Prisma bullet tip, but not...scratchy like a pen. I immediately turned around and ordered more. :)

HHC
08-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the invite, Linda! I have so many how to books that I read and don't "follow". We'll see what I come up with. :)

thatgeekyartgirl
08-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I WANNA PLAY, I have to work just about every weekend but i have lots of sketchbooks that i just had to have that need filling, itll be fun filling them with others :D

Just Ducky
08-14-2012, 12:46 AM
learning books? ? lessons? ? I got NO books.. but thanks to Cythnia I already learned something.
Micon 8.... been wondering what size to try for finer lines...
so I think I will be a stalker... lurkers just look. .. I want to learn... but not now... 1am going to bed..

thatgeekyartgirl
08-14-2012, 01:36 AM
DUCKY: ive always been told use a REALLY thin liner that way if you need parts to be thicker you just go over that part, so you have a range of thick and thin lines, while if you use a thicker liner the whole line would be thick, but it all depends on your art and how you like it to look :D

and i like you tube better than books(although i do have a few books) i like being able to actually see what people are talking about

bluelotusflower
08-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Wouldn't I LOVE to play! Today I am working on a writing assignment, so my mind is elsewhere but my heart is here. Yesterday we had a "baby" sitting gig with the grandrascals that left us so pooped we went to bed early. I hate it when I feel my age. :eek: There are tons of things i would like to try. By the end of the marathon I'm sure I will add to the list given all the inspiration I'll see here. Hmmmm. Number 8 microns? Where do you find them?

thatgeekyartgirl
08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Any craft or art supply store, its a multiliner that comes in many sizes

CynthiaSillitoe
08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Yes, Pigma microns. I get mine through dickblick.com, but I think most art or craft stores would have them. In Portland, everyone raved about the 05s so I tried those first. I liked them, especially for little face details, but on Zentangles, they just were too scratchy. Then I tried 01s, which Totally Tangled recommends, and then 005s, and finally 08s because they were the only one left. They are actually the widest/biggest, so they might not suit everyone, but they're perfect for me. I love the look of superfine pen work, with lots of detail and little lines building up, but I don't have the patience for it.

bluelotusflower
08-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks so much for the info. on the microns. I haven't attempted Zentangles yet.

Has anyone worked with paper clay? How long does it take for the material to dry completely? Can you hurry the process along with a hair dryer?

Linda4atc
08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks so much for the info. on the microns. I haven't attempted Zentangles yet.

Has anyone worked with paper clay? How long does it take for the material to dry completely? Can you hurry the process along with a hair dryer?

I have played with paperclay. I think drying all depends on the tempature and humidity in your area. I made a bunch of little faces pressed into a rubber mold. I even colored some of the clay with perfect pearls powder by kneading it into the clay.

I do not remember how long it took to dry since I just unmolded them and let them be while I went on to other stuff. I don't know if a hair dryer would be able to dry the inside of the clay. LOL I think a food dehydrator would work great for small pieces if you have one tucked away in storage. I know I had one around for years and I hardly used it.

And now that you mentioned paper clay you may have solved a problem for me. I made this a couple days ago. It is the host gift for the Burlesque (Feathers, Rhinestones & Fishnets): Chunky Swap (http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23754) It is a learning process started because cRude hArt mentioned tasseles and I had an imediate image. I had to see if I could make it.

106932 (work in progress)

I used watered down elmers glue and little bits of toilet tissue to build the body. I know I am going to paint it with acrylics. I was trying to decide if I wanted to leave the coarse texture, sand it, or try something else like maybe paperclay to smooth it out.

miloccpep
08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
My very own Haiku done during the class. I used the 5-7-5 syllable method.

Left-Hand-ed Sam-ual
Be-spec-ta-cled young a-dult
Is now my part-ner.

miloccpep
08-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Learning to use pattern-paper for the fishes. Normally, I would use plain colored ones for easy recognition. I will be submitting these for the exhibition. Let's see what Moses has to say.
Origami was folded last evening and mounted this morning.

Linda4atc
08-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Those are cool. I really should try to learn oragami to. I bought a kit a long time ago.

I may be up late and do some more, but this is all I did today.
another WIP 106944 First I sketched it with the sewing goggles from my steampunk book. Then I got out my drawing people book and believe me the proportions are a LOT better now. LOL

CynthiaSillitoe
08-14-2012, 11:19 PM
I need to get a drawing people book. Very cool!

Rita, love that origami. I can't even make a crane.

bluelotusflower
08-15-2012, 06:38 AM
Miloccpep, I LOVE the pink fish on that beautiful background! Very cool. ;)

Linda4atc, your WIP is progressing well. I'm anxious to see more!

thatgeekyartgirl
08-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Cynthia have you tried your local library for books,

Miloccpep your oragami is beautiful,

Linda I love the googles!! Cant wait to see more, and ya porpotion arent my strongest skill yet

CynthiaSillitoe
08-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Libraries and I don't get along. They tend to want their books back and in good condition. I started checking abebooks.com--one of my fave websites--and lots of cheap drawing books there, though the zentangle ones would all be cheaper through Dick Blick.

Linda4atc
08-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Libraries and I don't get along. They tend to want their books back and in good condition. I started checking abebooks.com--one of my fave websites--and lots of cheap drawing books there, though the zentangle ones would all be cheaper through Dick Blick.

I believe Brenda Hoddinott has a web site for her drawing lessons (I think that came up in previous a LAT). I have The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing People and it is a good book. I have others but this is the one within easy reach, LOL.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1___New_Sewing_Glasses.jpg
Thank you all. Got it done before bed last night.

KESagers
08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
That's really fabulous Linda!

Nursing and injured cat right now. Best laid plans . . . I hope I have time to create a little this weekend.

sharlene54
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Great card Linda.

Linda4atc
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Thank you.

That's really fabulous Linda!

Nursing and injured cat right now. Best laid plans . . . I hope I have time to create a little this weekend.

Oh Kristin I hope the kitty is ok? Good news is the LAT will last through Monday. If people want it to go longer, and there is no other a-thons going, we could extend it. I have company on the 21st so I won't be able to do much but I will check in.:cute:

Linda4atc
08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Here is what I've done so far today...

107010 drawing people 107011 perspective 107012 steampunk gun WIP

bluelotusflower
08-15-2012, 10:25 PM
You've been going great guns, Linda. You sure are an inspiration. :yes: Love your Steampunk lady and all the sketches you did today. I have to get busy!

KESagers
08-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Cool - I'll keep checking in to see what everyone is doing and see if it's been extended. Polly is on the mend. It was so upsetting to the other cats I've been a full time referee and that is finally starting to settle down too.

thatgeekyartgirl
08-16-2012, 05:21 PM
linda that looks great, so i took chase to library today and picked up the most amazing book, "WHAT IT IS" by lynda barry and im feeling so inspired i also plan on setting up one of my sketchbooks, i want to do the calender thing in it...where you get a page divide it into 30 to 31 squares and draw in them daily so even if its just a little doodle ill be drawing daily, i also want to leaves pages in between each "month" for other sketches...i thought about even altering an old planner for this but i like i said i have many sketchbooks that need filling so why not use em

CynthiaSillitoe
08-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Love that idea!

I ordered some drawing books... cats, two on faces, plus one that's circus themed and one with a zoo theme. $23 total. This is why I love abebooks.com. Most are new or like-new.

I've also been making myself crazy, which is not difficult, lol! Last week, I drew great Zentangles for the chunky pat and this week....nada. They just won't work. Maybe I overdid it,but I also decided I'm trying too hard to make art. Also, that I've gotten bored with black ink of white paper, so I've rounded up scratch paper indifferent colors and tonight I am going to try drawing for fun and see if that helps.

thatgeekyartgirl
08-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Lol cynthia zendoodles are supposed to be zen lol but I know what you mean by trying to hard, hope you have some fun,

Abebooks huh ill have to look

Linda4atc
08-16-2012, 06:31 PM
thatgeekyartgirl that sounds cool. I am not even disciplined enough to floss daily :embarrassed:

107056 Ok tried something new. I need gears for steampunk atcs, So I stuck some metal mending tape onto a sheet of copy paper then I traced a circle and cut out tiny gears. The largest it the size of a nickle. Very time consuming and I screwed up several of them.

CynthiaSillitoe
08-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Lol cynthia zendoodles are supposed to be zen lol but I know what you mean by trying to hard, hope you have some fun,

Abebooks huh ill have to look

Yeah, I do a lot of "this is supposed to be zen" muttering. It's the hardest part for me. Part of it is that I'm only a few months into drawing.

thatgeekyartgirl that sounds cool. I am not even disciplined enough to floss daily :embarrassed:

107056 Ok tried something new. I need gears for steampunk atcs, So I stuck some metal mending tape onto a sheet of copy paper then I traced a circle and cut out tiny gears. The largest it the size of a nickle. Very time consuming and I screwed up several of them.

Cool idea! I think I have some of that tape....

prayer_at_night
08-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I love the idea of this! Learning is very important. :3
I wish I had more time because there are some really good books about realistic drawing all over my place and I *really* should work on that... Well, at least I can show something. ;)
I'm learning origami! :D (Simple stuff of course, and it's certainly not all well, but it's a lot of fun! <3)

This fish will probably get a cool background and become an ATC. :)

miloccpep
08-16-2012, 09:27 PM
I love the idea of this! Learning is very important. :3
I wish I had more time because there are some really good books about realistic drawing all over my place and I *really* should work on that... Well, at least I can show something. ;)
I'm learning origami! :D (Simple stuff of course, and it's certainly not all well, but it's a lot of fun! <3)

This fish will probably get a cool background and become an ATC. :)

What lovely paper you used for the fish. Whose creation is it, btw?

Linda4atc
08-16-2012, 11:03 PM
prayer that is a cool fish. Cynthia are you working on anything? What's everyone else doing? I have a headache and haven't really done anything but watch several episodes of Heroes. I think I'll go to bed early since I have to go into town tomorrow.

thatgeekyartgirl
08-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Linda they look so cute great idea, and ya dont tell my dentist but me either i only do it when my teeth are feeling sensitive yikes lol

prayer what a cute fish, i remember when i was little i had an oragami book for kids, it took me forever to figure out but it was so much fun, itd probly be more zen like now (maybe im like cythia on the zen part lol) i still remember how to do a hopping frog and the kids at work love it

CynthiaSillitoe
08-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Origami takes precision, which I'm not good at. I'm a "that's close enough" kind of artist, and have learned the hard way that one bad fold really throws it off. Maybe someday I'll be more patient and try it.

I'm in the going to bed early group. Tomorrow I've got to work on swaps and then I'm going to try to get zen with those tangles. I've been reading some of Chatty's posts on Zentangles and wondering if I need to do more of my own patterns?

Linda4atc
08-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Original patterns are great, but I keep a notebook with patterns from zentangle.com and others I come across for reference and inspiration.

thatgeekyartgirl
08-17-2012, 02:21 AM
Here it is I start sketching tomorrow :D Gnight folks

bluelotusflower
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Wonderful art here! It's been a busy week so I haven't done much art work...exactly.
I got it in my head yesterday to make rolodex cards out of notecards I've received (and couldn't throw away!). The size card my rolodex uses is somewhat smaller than the size card that is usually traded. The back of the card is lightly decorated and will be used for its intended purpose: names and addresses of art card trading friends! I'm delighted to use up bits and pieces I've saved and made a home for them. It's my "green" file with a purpose. ;)

Linda4atc
08-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Sounds good. My friend used to make stationary and envelopes from old calendars.

prayer_at_night
08-17-2012, 06:22 PM
What lovely paper you used for the fish. Whose creation is it, btw?

Thanks. :) Do you mean the paper or the folding pattern? (Not that I could tell you either off the top of my head. ;) )

Thanks everyone! :)
Yes, it does take a bit of precision... but since I'm a total perfectionist, that is not a problem of mine. ;) It's more of a problem for me to read the plan correctly! *lol* The first time I made any of the figures I tried until now, I always ended up with a thousand wrong folds and the paper looking like a car drove over it. ;)
But once I figure out how to fold the paper, this is really zen-y. :)

thatgeekyartgirl, I'm going to learn the hopping frog soon, and am really looking forward to it! They look like so much fun. (And yes, I'm easy to please. ;P)

Also, could someone hit me, please? The fish is too big for an ATC. ;_; To be honest, I first did the math of this and it said the fish would be bigger than 2.5 inches, and only *after* that did I put the fish onto a blank ATC (like any normal person)... well, it's just too big. ;_;
Any ideas what else I can do with it?

miloccpep
08-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks. :) Do you mean the paper or the folding pattern? (Not that I could tell you either off the top of my head. ;) )

Thanks everyone! :)
Yes, it does take a bit of precision... but since I'm a total perfectionist, that is not a problem of mine. ;) It's more of a problem for me to read the plan correctly! *lol* The first time I made any of the figures I tried until now, I always ended up with a thousand wrong folds and the paper looking like a car drove over it. ;)
But once I figure out how to fold the paper, this is really zen-y. :)

thatgeekyartgirl, I'm going to learn the hopping frog soon, and am really looking forward to it! They look like so much fun. (And yes, I'm easy to please. ;P)

Also, could someone hit me, please? The fish is too big for an ATC. ;_; To be honest, I first did the math of this and it said the fish would be bigger than 2.5 inches, and only *after* that did I put the fish onto a blank ATC (like any normal person)... well, it's just too big. ;_;
Any ideas what else I can do with it?

LOL! I have the same problem! Okay, that's a mighty lovely fish, make a Chunky! Oh, and er, I was asking about the folding pattern or more like it - the name of the original paper folder or Origamist, as some prefer to call themselves..

prayer_at_night
08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Ah, okay. So, the book says that "the internationally renowned folding artist Nicolas Terry" made all of the patterns in this book. :)

Hmm, a chunky... I never made one. *scratches head*
But then again this is the Learn a-thon, so why not learn to make a chunky, right? ;)
I'll see if inspiration strikes. :) Thank you!

bluelotusflower
08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
I've been meaning to do this for a long time -- make special envelopes to send my traded ATCs to artists. I made up a template and color printed a bunch. Then I folded and glued them so they are ready for the next trade. Here's a sample:

bluelotusflower
08-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Here are a few of my "repurposed" rolodex cards:

miloccpep
08-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I wrote a Haiku for my partner at the last session, Thursday evening. Here it is.

Fare Thee Well, my fren
Soon a dis tant me mo ry
Of time spent writ ing.

LOL! I posted this in the wrong thread!!:P:err::embarrassed:

miloccpep
08-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I've been meaning to do this for a long time -- make special envelopes to send my traded ATCs to artists. I made up a template and color printed a bunch. Then I folded and glued them so they are ready for the next trade. Here's a sample:

How creative! I received one from Margoartist recently. I am inspired to want to do that as well. When I first started Origami, that was what I did. Maybe, I may still have that envie. Let me look for it, than I'll post it here!

Linda4atc
08-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I am not motivated today. But it's nice to see all the things going on here, orgami, drawing journals, fancy rolodex cards, Haikus and more.

Linda4atc
08-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Well I did a little reading about art today. Both in Tim Holtz's A Compendium of Curiosities and Hazel Harrison's Art School How to Paint & Draw. Didn't do anything else.

bluelotusflower
08-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Are we continuing this wonderful thread for a while or is today it?
I had little time over the weekend for art and today I have an all day "baby" sitting gig with the grandkids. It's too dark to photograph a few more rolodex cards. I also played with paper clay. I made a "dress" with it for Nanner's Halloweenie monster art doll swap. This is Wanda, The One-Eyed Wonder Woman.

Linda4atc
08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Dad burn it, I hate it when I type something up and click the send button and the page gets lost so I have to redo it....

Wanda looks cool, what part of her dress is made with paperclay?

As far as continuing the LAT, that is fine with me. I really need to get motivated again. I think I just fizzeled a little bit after doing both this and the Olympic-a-thon. Been a bit of a couch potato since I have a tone of dvds my cousin let me borrow, and I want to send some of them back with her. She will be visiiting Wed to Sunday with me.

I haven't had TV in over 4 years now, except the little time I have been in Eureka. I can not tell you how many times I have watched my two seasons of Charmed and Murder She Wrote, or the Lord of the Rings or Firefly series. Or even the Perry Mason VHS tapes my aunt gave me. (thinking that I really need to get rid of them since they take up so much room.) LOL

It is so fun to have a bunch of new stuff to watch. I am half way through all the seasons of Angel, and I have not even started on the series 24. I saw a couple episodes on TV before and didn't get into it. But I might by watching the whole thing from the start.

CynthiaSillitoe
08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
I love DVDs. I have discovered a bunch of series years after they were on.

I've been focused on getting my PAT chunkies done. I did just do a sketch atc. I'll try to put it up later. I tried to work quickly and be whimsical and I like how it worked. :)

Linda4atc
08-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Gosh it is 4pm and I just got home. I decided to go ahead and go into Ukiah and do some grocery shopping and get a haircut. My hair is now above my shoulders for the first time since I was a young child. I quit coloring my hair back in April when I got tiny little blisters after coloring it. I am trying now to get rid of all the damaged treated hair. I will still have to cut some more but I was afraid to go any shorter. Although it does have a fun bouncy feel to it when I turn my head quickly now. LOL

miloccpep
08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Here are some hand-made envies. I cld not find the one I want to show n tell though. These are made from magazine pages.

The front of the envie, then the second pic showed the opened version. The creased line is where you fold down. First one is almost square and broad unlike the second one, which is narrow and long.

miloccpep
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I used this envie often because I can 'lock' the edge into the 'triangle' without resorting to tape to keep the envie from coming loose.

Hope the pic is clear enough to see the envie.

bluelotusflower
08-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Wonderful envies, miloccpep! I'll have to try making some envies like yours. Thanks for sharing! ;)

CynthiaSillitoe
08-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Here's what I've been working on....

My goal was to do some whimsical pen and ink people without thinking too much or trying to be perfect.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/7318/small/1_frenchschoolgirl.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/7318/small/1_jackofdiamondsinlove.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/7318/small/1_misslips.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/7318/small/1_cupidsvictim.jpg

bluelotusflower
08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
You did a wonderful job, Cynthia! :yes:

bluelotusflower
08-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Dad burn it, I hate it when I type something up and click the send button and the page gets lost so I have to redo it....

Wanda looks cool, what part of her dress is made with paperclay?

It is so fun to have a bunch of new stuff to watch. I am half way through all the seasons of Angel, and I have not even started on the series 24. I saw a couple episodes on TV before and didn't get into it. But I might by watching the whole thing from the start.

Wanda is made of wood (dowels, big beads, & upside down flower pot) and other things like a button, little pearls, ribbon, beads, gear and chain hook. Paper clay was used on the bodice and shirt. I rolled out paper clay, pressed circular designs into the clay, cut it to fit the skirt and bodice, and glued it around the wood. I'm waiting for the clay to dry thoroughly.

CynthiaSillitoe
08-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks!

How long does it take the clay to dry?

ICraft
08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Came across your Celebration today and while I'm not quite in the right mindset to be working on my pitiful drawing skills right now I wanted to share a site I stumbled across the other night while looking for a hand drawn pic of a koi fish. I liked the step by step drawings and little tips they gave so I thought I could at the very least share the site so others could maybe check it out.

http://www.dragoart.com/

Hope it is helpful to someone.

Linda4atc
08-21-2012, 11:11 PM
ICraft that is sweet of you. I think the a-thon is going to keep gooing for a bit longer. They even have Captain kirk, Spock and the Enterprise.

ICraft
08-22-2012, 02:13 AM
And here I thought it was just totally beginner stuff - I didn't explore the site as much as I wanted but now you've got my interest really sparked and it was my site share first - haha! I'll keep you guys in my thread subscriptions and pop in. Thanks for the info.

Linda4atc
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Ohh yes my company is here now, but I have been looking through the site and found the Effiel tower, some orcs, a cool goblin and many many dragon tutorials that I like.

bluelotusflower
08-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks!

How long does it take the clay to dry?

Well, I will have to see to find out! This is a new medium for me. I suppose it depends on how thick the clay is and how humid the weather conditions are. Does anyone know whether you can hurry the drying process along by using a hair dryer?

bluelotusflower
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks, ICraft, for the neat drawing site! :)

KESagers
08-22-2012, 11:41 PM
I have several new things I wanted to try but life got in the way. If this thread is still active when I finally have some creative time I will post then. I am enjoying checking in to see what others are creating and discussing. :)

Linda4atc
08-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I am soo sorry that I am not doing art. But it is nice having company. I love to cook and am spending a lot of time on menus I do not normally make. I did kind of learn something. I made a banana nut snack cake without a recipe or measuring anything cause I had two bananas that got too ripe. It came out good, I usually use recipes and measure everything when baking.

bluelotusflower
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
I hoped I would have time to photograph some things before I left town, but it's been a crazy week. No doubt I will have to post when I get back in September. Keep up the good work in the meantime. It will be fun to check in and see what's on your drawing boards! :)

Linda4atc
08-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I also saw something I really liked, I think it was when I was looking online.

Weekend Challenge
Take black cardstock, stamp and heat emboss an image, something not overly detailed like a flower of butterfly works well.

Put a bit of bleach in a small dish or jar lid and and paint the areas inside the image with bleach. Do not get it to wet or it will bleed under the embossing. If this happens you may be able to color it with a marker to hide the flaw.

It looked like in the photo she was using one of those pointy rolled paper blending stylus to do the small areas. I think you might want to try different ways. DO NOT USE a good paintbrush! Years ago we played around some with the bleach pens you buy in the store for spot cleaning on the go. It was so-so.

Dry with the heat tool then color in the nice white areas caused by the bleaching. This makes a really pretty colorful image on the dark background.

My challenge is for some of you to try this over the weekend and share it with us.

prayer_at_night
08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Oh yay, this sounds like a wonderful challenge to me! I just bought me embossing powder and a pen with this clear ink a few days ago, but didn't use it yet.
I hope I'll be able to try this technique!

bluelotusflower
08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Weekend challenge sounds fabulous, Linda. I'll have to try that technique out when I get back from vacation! :cool:

Linda4atc
08-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Well I really picked a bad challenge for me to do. LOL My company left today and I kept trying to find my embossing powders and did not figure out where I tucked them away at.

Then I decided to just play with the bleach. In this I did learn some stuff..

1) all cardstock/construction paper is not created equal. I had pulled out a really nice heavy black cardstock and cut into chunks to work with. This cardstock must have been made with actual black fibers because it did not bleach. Then I tried some colored construction paper pieces I had. They bleached to different degrees.

2) I used an old but fine tipped paint brush. I learned that I am not very good at cleaning my brushes and I do get paint up under the ferrule, which I know is a bad thing but when I'm painting it isn't my first focus. The whole time I played with the bleach I had to keep cleaning the paint from the brush on a papertowel.

3) I found I liked to form a little bubble of bleach on the paper till the color lifted then I soaked up the excess with my brush that I kept blotting on the papertowel.

When I painted the bleach on the paper in a thin (not bubbled) layer it just faded the color and did not bleach it good. edited: looking at the thin painted bleach it did bleach out most of the color it just took longer.

Has anyone else taken up my challenge??

Tomorrow I have to go into Ukiah and buy a new battery charger. For some reason my trailer does not recharge the batteries properly when it's plugged in like it's supposed to. If I don't get it I won't have hot water or a refrigerator because the electric starter runs on the battery, or lights which also run on the battery.

KESagers
08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
I have not actually tried the bleach but have been in several craft groups who have and everyone seems to agree that the bleach must be fresh. Not just fresh to you but fresh from the factory to the store to you. Any bleach that sits for a period of time will not work well for this technique. I have also heard that the bleach pens usually don't work at all - but you never know if you what you have is going to give you exactly what you want so anything is worth a try. Old bleach might just give a more muted effect that is perfect. . . you can moisten a paper towel with beach and use it as a stamp pad to stamp with bleach. I am told stamps shoud be cleaned immediately.

This is what I worked on today. This is a digital effect I've had little to no success using in the past. Today I sat down, dug in and really figured out the proper way to successfully use this digital technique.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_Colored-Pencil-Painted-Lady-web.jpg
Painted Lady - pencil

I used the colored pencil effect. Prints are available to trade.

miloccpep
08-26-2012, 09:01 PM
That's a really beautiful butterfly, Kristin.

KESagers
08-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Thank you! For the past 2 days we have had about 8-12 Painted Lady butterflies drinking nectar at our bush. I had never seen this type of butterfly before but I think they are common in NJ. They do not like sudden movement and scatter quickly but if I stood still they came back and were quite friendly.

prayer_at_night
08-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Linda, I tried the challenge, but it didn't work even the teeniest bit on my black cardboard - and I couldn't find anything else in black, and then I was frustrated and needed to get the smelly chlor bleach out of my room. *lol*
My expierience was that the cardboard got these little rolled pieces of paper on top from all the wetness and rubbing, but was still totally black. ;_;

Well, at least I kept the embossed butterfly (handdrawn, by the way - there is not a single butterfly stamp bigger than a fingernail in any of the art and hobby shops in this town! >_<) and coloured him in with watercolours. I kind of like the result - it has something naive, childish. It also looks a bit like window colour pictures. :)

So, I learned quite a bit, but sadly couldn't see with my own eyes the effect you described in the challenge.

Linda4atc
08-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Kristin that is cool, I can't tell, does it really look hand drawn in pencils?

Prayer I am so sorry that it didn't work for you. I bought a new scanner yesterday, I will scan one of the pieces I was playing with when I get it hooked up. It is a wireless so I hope I don't have any problems. Sometimes I wish they would stop new and improving everything!

The piece I did that I liked was on a bright pink construction paper. My bleach was kind of old so maybe it didn't smell as much(?) but it still worked. I just had a little dish like they serve dipping sauces in and I only put a little bleach in it.

KESagers
08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
It's a pretty realistic effect - when I did it right. ;)

KESagers
08-28-2012, 02:47 PM
This is my first attempt at this ribbon technique. I'm going to make more - I think this would be a great embellishment for chunkies as it wont be hurt in the mail. If you would like the instructions in PDF format please PM me your e-mail address.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/large/1_Rolled-Ribbon-Rose.jpg
Rolled Ribbon Rose

Linda4atc
08-29-2012, 01:01 AM
that is pretty Kristin, is it stitched?

Today I spent more time looking for my embossing powders. It really has me ticked off that I can't find them.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/fauxbleachalcohol/ This technique looked really cool. I was trying the find the one I used for the challenge, it was bookmarked on my other comp that crashed.

miloccpep
08-29-2012, 01:46 AM
This is my first time in the puppetry performance and enjoying it! Mosquito bites and all! LOL!.

*“Project Mending Sky: US” is the final installment of Drama Box’s Community Art Project on Environment. In the finale, we come together as a community and go through an experiential journey to discover/re-discover our connection with the environment.

We’ll journey through (over 1.5km) the now defunct Bukit Timah Railway Station to “search” for the legendary Bukit Timah Monkey Man, starting from the bustling city into the darkness of the forest. Along the way, we’ll see and experience a series of exhibition, installations, movement choreography pieces and puppetry performance.

* "Project Mending Sky: ME" (2008) focused on the individual and how one’s actions can contribute to protecting the environment, while "Project Mending Sky: YOU" (2009) looks at how combined efforts with friends and family can have a greater effect in saving the earth.

About The Bukit Timah Monkey Man
Urban legend has it that the Bukit Timah Monkey Man (a bi-pedal, half-man-half-monkey being) was spotted by an old Malay man in 1805. Subsequent sightings were reported, with the latest in 2007!

sharlene54
08-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks Kristin and Linda. I'm going to try that technique with the embossing powder.

Kristin, I would like the instructions for the flower.

I know what you mean about looking for something. I hate that-looking, looking , looking.
Sometimes I'll find something when I'm not looking for it, but looking for something else.
That happens because I don't have a room for my stuff-it's here, there and everywhere.

Linda4atc
08-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes I live in a trailer with my art stuff and a bunch of other stuff stored in another trailer. definitely limited space and very hard to organize.

KESagers
08-29-2012, 03:24 PM
This particular technique uses the super sticky tape to hold the rolls down. It's a Splitcoast Technique. Sharlene - I have sent you the instructions. If anyone else want them just PM me your e-mail. :)

That's really amazing Miloccep!

Linda4atc
08-31-2012, 11:13 AM
OK Peoples I had a Doctors appointment yesterday and I bought two jare of embossing powder. I am going to play with them.

There is a new a-thon going on so I will close this thread. My challenge is for everyone to try something new and make an atc or something to trade in the Labor Day Weekend PLAY-A-THON!! (http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24358) Ohh and share the technique with them so maybe we can learning over there.

Big Hugs and thank yous to all of you for being here with me. Luv you all.