ATC Guru
Friend of AFA
Media
RETURNS MAILED 26 JANUARY

Due Date: 21 January 2013
Withdrawal Date: none, but please communicate
Number of cards: 3 for 3
Max no. of participants: unlimited, but see below for postage requests
Media: open, with collaged poetry. Please keep as flat as possible (i.e. backgrounds and embellishments may be drawn, painted, collaged, etc (or some combination) as long as the card includes found poetry, but please no bukly embellishments)

ABOUT THE CARDS:

All cards for this swap must include Found Poetry - i.e. a short original poem or poetic sentiment composed of phrases cut out from the pages of a chosen book, magazine, newspaper, etc. Personally, I think it's more fun if you try to limit yourself to a single text per poem (or even a single page!) but that's not mandatory. Please try to avoid individual words, however, and use cut phrases wherever possible (the occasional single word is fine).

I have asked for a winter theme - this can be in the card background (e.g. a winter scene) or in the poetry, or both, the choice is yours.

Backgrounds and embellishments may be of whatever media you fancy, but please keep cards as flat as possible - no bulky embellishments in this swap. Card backgrounds may be similar or all in a given theme (or completely different!) but no exact copies please. All poems should be original and substantially different.

Please, when you sign up to this swap, be ABSOLUTELY SURE you know what Found Poetry is (and is not) (or if you aren't sure - ask!).

What it is:
*original (written/assembled by you)
*"found" (i.e. phrases must be cut out of books, magazines, newspapers)
* must use already printed text (no handwritten words or phrases, or words or phrases typed out using computers, etc)
*all cards must have DIFFERENT poems

Cards which do not follow these guidelines will be returned.

I have attached some scans of FP cards which I have made myself (these are not all on a winter theme, of course!), but if you want further inspiration, check out the swap gallery from a Red, Black and White FP Swap from 2011, a One Source FP Swap, also from 2011, the thread of notinkansas' Love Poems swap from earlier this year or my previous FP swap thread, also earlier in 2012.

Please ensure your cards are either sealed or well-glued as small bits of paper have a tendency to go astray.

Please put your forum username on the back of every card and also on your return envelope. Enclose your ATCs in clear sleeves wherever possible. When you receive your returns from this swap, please let me know, either by commenting in the thread or by leaving iTrader so I don't worry the cards have gone astray. It would be great if everyone could take the time to leave rep points for all those they receive cards from, as well.

ABOUT POSTAGE, ETC.

UK participants, please enclose a SSAE with the same postage required to mail to me (or a label with your address on it, and loose postage to the right amount is ok, too). This will probably be a large letter stamp but may even be a regular stamp in this instance as we are going as flat as possible.

US participants, please enclose a self addressed envelope or a large addressed label and $2 in concealed dollar bills. Alternatively, you can send 2 international mailing stamps (I think they are now $1.05). $2 may seem like more than you paid to get your swap to me, but I will have to pay either £1.28 or £1.90 to return your cards to you, depending on weight. At the current exchange rate that's between $2 and $3, so $2 will bring me a little closer to even over the course of the swap.

Other nationalities, pleased enclose a self addressed envelope or large addressed label and I will cover your postage, unless you have access to US$ or to UK stamps or cash, which would be welcome.

Alternatively, if anyone outside the UK would like to make a postage contribution via paypal, that's fine, too - just mention it when you are ready to mail your cards and I'll send the email address.

Remember, mailing times to the UK can vary from 3 days to 2 weeks in the non-holiday season and can be even slower - double that - near Christmas, so be sure to allow plenty of time. That's why I'm setting the swap deadline so far ahead (well, that and being too busy to have much of an arting life!).

It is not necessary to include an extra card, though they are always welcome!

Please PM me for my address once your ATCs are ready to post (mail).

So, who wants to join? (Blue for cards received)

0. katelnorth (me!) Returns Received
1. CynthiaSillitoe (USA) Returns Received
2. Pikkis (Finland) Returns Received
3. withdrew
4. therapeuticart (USA) Returns Received
5. catb (USA) Returns Received
6. withdrew
7. withdrew
8. scrapstampcreate (USA) Returns Received
9. withdrew
10. withdrew
11. withdrew
12. Leah123456l (USA)
13. Tandy (USA) Returns Received
14. goatgirl (USA) Returns Received
15. withdrew
16. kitty2287 (USA) Returns Received?
17. Cecileb (Canada) Returns Received
18. Rosa (USA) Returns Received
19. Studio39designs (USA) Returns Received
20. Cherie (USA) Returns Received
21. suzyq (USA) Returns Received

Last edited:
Welcome to CynthiaSillitoe and Pikkis - goatgirl, Wil and oddbreed I hope you'll be able to come out of lurkdowm and join us.

Oddbreed, the last example (the Christmas one) was from a swap I did last December - mrubyjean's Holiday Blues, Holiday Cheer Found Poetry Swap - they were great fun!

Quite like this way of creating poetry, katelnorth, and the returns I"ve received from others in this kind of swap were all unique and interesting!

So please sign me on, too...as a Lover of the Winter season I will definitely be pleased to make four cards

Last edited:
Please add me.
I did a chunky page w/found poetry swap early in the summer and I had so much fun doing it.

Welcome to wildgoose, therapeuticart, catb, RaineyDay and NancyL.

I myself wasn't too sure I'd be able to cope with found poetry the first time I tried it, but I really enjoy the challenge of creating something from other people's words and phrases...

My found poetry-cards are ready now :)! I hope the poems make some sense, as I´m not a native English speaker and it´s a bit of extra challenge trying to make the poems mean something... But it´s a lot of fun too! I cut all the phrases from the same book, which happened to be Silas Marner by George Eliot :D! So will pm for your address katelnorth!

Back
Top Bottom