PDA

View Full Version : Post-Christmas/New Year ATART anyone?

Donnacr
12-15-2012, 09:53 AM
I had so much fun starting my athon career with the Post-Christmas ATART in Dec 2010 that I Hosted it last year and seem to be starting a tradition of Hosting this ATART. I would love to have you join me sometime between Dec 27 and Jan 2.

We had people who could only play for a single day, others who dipped in and out and then the hardcore athoners who were there from start to finish.

There are no other Athons scheduled for January so, if people are still keen, we may be able to extend the ending date to Friday 4th.

I know that some people (including me) find themes for different days are helpful for getting the creative juices flowing. If you have a theme that you would like to have us use please tell me - otherwise you may be burdened with only the ones that I can think of.

Some of the ones that I am considering at the moment:
Try a different media - if you normally collage try drawing; if you normally draw try napkins and beeswax; try origami; try iris or teabag folding; try stitching or fabric; etc
Try a different size - try smaller (Inchies 1"x1", Twinchies 2"x2", Moos 1"x2.75" ), bigger (Chunky 4"x4" or Postcard 4"x6") or longer (Bookmarks 2"x6"). Are there others that I have not tried yet? Do I have all the measurements correct?
something old, something new (for Dec 31/ Jan 1)
make cards ONLY using wrapping paper

There are always the classics - APCs, zentangles, stamps (postage and rubber), stickers, various colour schemes (b/w, pastels/brights, autumn/winter/spring/summer shades, single colours, etc)

There are at least 7 days of Athon so we need at least 7 themes (more would be welcome) so put on your thinking caps and come and join us during this wonderful release of Christmas tension. Come and try out all those wonderful new supplies you were given for Christmas - even if that is only the wrapping paper :biglaugh::err:

lv2paint
12-15-2012, 10:02 AM
It's on my calendar...hope nothing else gets in the way of creativity :jiggy:

FlyingPhoenix
12-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Awesome idea! I'll be here as much as I can. :D

CynthiaSillitoe
12-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Planning on it!

Donnacr
12-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Welcome friends!! No suggestions for other themes?

Can anyone tell me the dimensions for a bookmark? I have never made one and so am unsure of their size.

Do I have the dimensions of a Postcard correct?

mrubyjean
12-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Bookmarks are usually 2" x 6"(or 7"), I think.

Donnacr
12-16-2012, 03:26 AM
thanks mrubyjean - I have added that to my original post

marilou
12-16-2012, 03:48 AM
No play this year, my son and my grandchildren are visiting till January 4th.
My hobby room is turned into the oldest bedroom, and all stuff is tucked away safely.
They arrive next Friday 21st, and leave on Friday 4th.
Hope to turn on the computer when they are visiting their other grandparents, but that will be it :sad: I can not play :jiggy:my girls are visiting.

theweavershand
12-16-2012, 05:55 AM
hoping to play and looking forward to it!

GALZART
12-17-2012, 10:08 AM
4"x6" for PostCards is correct.
I'll be here watching...don't know if I'll producing art. I'm working on a sewing project that is taking a lot of time.

Joss
12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Great idea Donna. You rock, and I hope to play too.

Donnacr
12-18-2012, 06:12 AM
mariloupatch - you will be missed but I fully understand that your girls come first (so do mine :D but they are all gone by the time we start)
galzart - we'd love to see the project in progress - good luck with finishing it.

welcome theweavershand and joss - more friends come to play!

KittyNL
12-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Love to play in this athon! I have 2 weeks off and will be staying in a holiday park with my mum and sister over Christmas, but I am sure there will be some time to play. And I will be back on the 28th, so I can surely play the weekend. See ya later!

GALZART
12-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Thank You...
Here is a beginning photo of the project. They are "Doggie Bags" for dog walkers...will hold keys, ID, cash, and the necessary plastic bags. The divided pocket on the bag back will hold a cell phone and 'doggie treats'. Each bag is made with a variety of 'doggie fabrics' and wild prints....and a 'trademark' polka dot pocket on the back. They will be donated to Johsua's House For Golden Retriever Rescut in Lecanto, FL as gifts for those who give donations to the organization.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/322/large/1_Doggie_Bag_Project.JPG

Donnacr
12-19-2012, 02:22 AM
kittyNL - that holiday sounds amazing, do you do this every year? I spend a whole day 'shopping' with my mother and 2 sisters just after Christmas. We start the day with breakfast and are still going strong when the shops shut. I look forward to you joining us at the ATART.
galzart - those look great! I love the variety of fabrics you are using - how many are you planning to make?

miloccpep
12-19-2012, 08:36 AM
"Try a different media - if you normally collage try drawing; if you normally draw try napkins and beeswax; try origami; try iris or teabag folding; try stitching or fabric; etc
Try a different size - try smaller (Inchies 1"x1", Twinchies 2"x2", Moos 1"x2.75" ), bigger (Chunky 4"x4" or Postcard 4"x6") or longer (Bookmarks 2"x6"). Are there others that I have not tried yet? Do I have all the measurements correct?
something old, something new (for Dec 31/ Jan 1)
make cards ONLY using wrapping paper"

These are great! Loved the way you phrased them! I may decide to become a hardcore athoner or I may not. Depends!

1 Art Lady
12-19-2012, 11:10 AM
I'll try to stop in and play for a bit. I haven't had much time to play lately, so this might be a good excuse to get going again, and schedule some time!

GALZART
12-19-2012, 12:00 PM
kittyNL - that holiday sounds amazing, do you do this every year? I spend a whole day 'shopping' with my mother and 2 sisters just after Christmas. We start the day with breakfast and are still going strong when the shops shut. I look forward to you joining us at the ATART.
galzart - those look great! I love the variety of fabrics you are using - how many are you planning to make?

Thank You.....I never was into doing "traditional" quilting and have always collected bright and wild fabrics. Now they're going to use for a good cause.
How many am I planning to make?....Well, as many as possible. The dog resuce is such an important thing I want to help as much as possible. I cut and press one day, install zippers another day, do straps one day, and assemble all parts another day. That way I don't get bored.

I'm only up to 7 bags at this point..I think their next Fund Raiser is March so I'm working daily on the bags. I hope to do some "mug mats" later on too....and possibly some dog fabric Postcards.

Ibus
12-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm in! We're going out for the first time in forever on 31st, but there's still plenty of time to play :)

Donnacr
12-19-2012, 07:48 PM
miloccpep - once the Athon bug bites it is impossible to stop. I look forward to seeing you there
1 Art Lady - we are very happy to provide you with a good excuse for 'Me' time and crafting - I look forward to seeing what you create
galzart - what a sense of satisfaction on the day you put them all together. I think that it would be similar to when I have worked on a large cross-stitch and am FINALLY doing the backstitch - everything comes alive and you can see what you have spent all that time working on
ibus - I guess we can allow you to escape for a single night :policeman: Have a great night out!! :jiggy::jiggy:

Ibus
12-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks Donna! Believe me, I'd rather stay home and play! ;)

Cee-Emm
12-19-2012, 08:35 PM
hoping to get some serious art time in during ATART..its been a jam-packed year since the last one with my overseas journey, 3 week caravanning trip,shifting to NSW and my DH on the sick list for over a month and now in recovery from op time.
thank you to Donna for being our lovely host again this year, I have fond memories of last years fun and mayhem...the full grocery bag of mail-outs ( and the look of dismay on the post office staff).. and then the constant stream of mail!!

GALZART
12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
miloccpep - once the Athon bug bites it is impossible to stop. I look forward to seeing you there
1 Art Lady - we are very happy to provide you with a good excuse for 'Me' time and crafting - I look forward to seeing what you create
galzart - what a sense of satisfaction on the day you put them all together. I think that it would be similar to when I have worked on a large cross-stitch and am FINALLY doing the backstitch - everything comes alive and you can see what you have spent all that time working on
ibus - I guess we can allow you to escape for a single night :policeman: Have a great night out!! :jiggy::jiggy:

I agree...I did a lot of counted cross stitch and the backstitch really did the trick to really bring out the best of the entire piece. Today was a cutting day...tomorrow is Quilt Guild day so Friday will be an assembly day.

dsign49
12-20-2012, 03:22 AM
I will try and play.

Amapola
12-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm hoping to play at least some of the days!

Just Ducky
12-20-2012, 10:38 PM
well me and Ducks are getting itchie fingers and feathers already... done with making anything right now... gearing up for Donna's POST' holiday marathon...
clean table... new address labels ready for envelopes..
what a great way to run out the old year and ring-in the new 2013... arting all the way...

sniisk
12-21-2012, 04:23 PM
I'll be near by a good internet connection on Dec 27th :).

jonquil
12-21-2012, 04:53 PM
we will have my brother and his family over for Boxing Day and then I am free - this weekend is cleaning the house so I will certainly have nothing else to do but create. I have some pre cut bookmark blanks so this might be a time to use them.

bluesybreeze
12-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Sounds awesome! I got to play one year - it was a real blast. I should be able to participate more this year. Count me in.

theweavershand
12-21-2012, 09:15 PM
i love it! in years past i would really have a hard time with the post holiday blues. this athon has saved me from that the last 2 years. what a blessing!

sniisk
12-22-2012, 06:36 AM
This is going to be a real tradition! Is it the 4th time this year?

chaosatlanta
12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I haven't played in an a-thon since last April ... I'm really looking forward to this one!

Jewels
12-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I'd love to play.

Donnacr
12-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Cee-emm - I am glad to hear that your DH is recovering now but wow!! 2012 has certainly been a big year for you - I hope that we can scare your new postal staff with all your trades.
galzart - how many did you manage on Friday? The pile must really be growing by now.
dsign49, amapola, sniisk, jonquil, bluesybreeze, theweavershand, chaosatlanta and jewels - WELCOME!! We are going to be a fantastic bunch of talented people having so much fun :jiggy::jiggy:
justducky - you are also welcome. Have you remembered that you offered to co-host with me?

I have now opened the official thread for the Post - Christmas/ New Year ATART (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1341462). Come one and all and join us there.

chaosatlanta
12-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Would it be too soon for a Valentine's theme for one of the days? I really would like to trade a few Valentine themed pieces so I will receive them in time to decorate for Valentine's Day.

GALZART
12-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Cee-emm - I am glad to hear that your DH is recovering now but wow!! 2012 has certainly been a big year for you - I hope that we can scare your new postal staff with all your trades.
galzart - how many did you manage on Friday? The pile must really be growing by now.
dsign49, amapola, sniisk, jonquil, bluesybreeze, theweavershand, chaosatlanta and jewels - WELCOME!! We are going to be a fantastic bunch of talented people having so much fun :jiggy::jiggy:
justducky - you are also welcome. Have you remembered that you offered to co-host with me?

I have now opened the official thread for the Post - Christmas/ New Year ATART (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1341462). Come one and all and join us there.

Friday: Just did some cutting and pressing and took the day off today. Tomorrow will have to be a sewing day.

Donnacr
12-23-2012, 07:35 PM
chaosatlanta - I'll make that one of the themes for the 2nd Thursday, thanks for the idea.

galzart - I don't know! taking a day off? I tend to push myself when I don't need to - allow yourself an occassional day off so that the bags are still fun, not a chore.:yes:

I am now archiving this thread - click on the link in my signature to go direct to the Official thread.