PDA

View Full Version : Inchie-Moo House-a-thon July 4-9

Jean
06-12-2013, 07:34 PM
July 4 - US Independence Day till July 9

Anyone up for a inchie and/or moo house-a-thon?

I forgot how we traded last time - 2 inchies - 1 moo? Or just inchies - inchies and moos for moos?

Anyway, I am hungry for teeny houses and now that the light is back....raring to go!!!

Anyone wanna play? Hosting help requested, too.

KESagers
06-15-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm going really really slow on my art right now so I don't get a lot done in a short period of time but I've subscribed to this thread and when there is a marathon I always try to play if I can. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any updates. :)

Yes - last time I think it was 2 inchies for a moo and then I think there was talk of backgrounds and embellishments and such also. :)

prayer_at_night
06-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Yay, mini houses! :D
The last mini house a-thon was my first a-thon... *sigh* :)
If we play after the first week of July I'll be there!

theweavershand
06-15-2013, 03:52 PM
im in! and depending when you schedule it...ill help host too. its been way to long and im itching for an athon weekend!!

if possible...not the weekends of July 13th or 21st...but dont schedule it just around me. just if possible.

Jean
06-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Maybe make it a Thursday-Tuesday hat (house-a-thon)? That way, people who are busy during the week -or weekend- will still have a couple of days to play.

native killette
06-15-2013, 06:10 PM
I'll play! I've never made moos before!

Nancy
06-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Oh, yes!!! I love the inchie and moo houses too......They make up quickly and trades are fast and furious.....anytime is fine for me........Tha sooner the better!!

Jean
06-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Well, we're already into a weekend.... and people need time to get their supplies ready...cutting moos and rooftops and so on....so....what about starting midnight June 27 and ending midnight July 2...? I think there are driections somewhere to making them....not sure where....

prayer_at_night
06-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Oh shoot, that weekend doesn't work for me at all - my exams start on July 1st. :no:
Hope you all have fun then and I can join some other a-thon!

KESagers
06-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm flexible - I''ll just keep an eye out for when you plan it. A longer marathon can be a good idea to catch more people - I think that's a great idea Jean.

Jean
06-16-2013, 02:31 PM
There doesn't seem to be much interest yet, so it may not be til after July 1...
Preferences? They're both Thursday-Tuesday...
June 27 till July 2
July 4 - US Independence Day till July 9

That's about as long as I think I can wait, though, lolol.

prayer_at_night
06-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm all for the second date, of course! My exams are from July 1st - 3rd, so I could make an "I survived!" party out of the a-thon. :cute:

KESagers
06-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Both are good for me.

Jean
06-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Let's say July 4-9 then....whoohoo!

Editied to correct dates. See why I need cohosts?! ;)

theweavershand
06-19-2013, 03:17 AM
so...what date are we going with?

Jean
06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Thursday, July 4 to Tuesday, July 9, beginning and ending at midnight in players' time zones. Start cutting those cards!!

KESagers
06-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Looking forward to it!

theweavershand
06-19-2013, 11:13 PM
awesome! cant wait!

Jean
06-19-2013, 11:35 PM
*happy dancing* It's going to be such fun!

jonquil
06-20-2013, 02:54 AM
what fun!!!! - i will be there

Donnacr
06-20-2013, 09:15 AM
I'll be there but I need to be reminded of how to make them.

Jean
06-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Easy peasy! Take an inchie...there's your bottom. Take a second and cut across the middle on the diagonal to make two triangular rooftops! The rooftops work for both inchie and moo houses. Attach on back by overlapping a tad or by cutting a strip of paper and gluing them together.

I make my inchie base a bit longer on one side..like 1 inch by 1 and 1/4 inch. I angle that extra 1/4 inch (or cut it after attaching the roof so it doesn't show) and that extra bit is my glue spot. Makes no sense, I know. I'll find links or make some by the time we start.

Jean
06-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Easy peasy...here's a little help. (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1425076#post1425076)

Rogue Gal
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm ready for an athon, and this sounds perfect! I was wondering what I was going to do for July 4th too.

Donnacr
06-21-2013, 02:13 AM
jean - thanks for the info - printed off and ready to go now!

Jean
06-21-2013, 12:50 PM
You're very welcome! I thought that putting it into the Tutorials section would make it easier for folks who see our fantastic mini-houses to join in the fun!

craftyvox
06-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Sounds like fun! Won't be able to play until the evening of July 8th but will see whether I can get some made then! :)

prayer_at_night
06-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm so looking forward to this! :jiggy:

Jean
06-22-2013, 08:46 PM
I've been getting my inchie/moo supplies organized! :D I love the inchies and moos, but I love love love the mini-houses!

Miss Iowa
06-22-2013, 11:54 PM
I'd like to make some moo houses (not a big fan of inches but I may try an inchie house since I've never made any).

Question: When I've made moo houses in the past (link to sample (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=323334)), I attached the roof so that the overall height was still moo size (2.75 inches tall). I hope that's OK.

Jean
06-23-2013, 12:05 AM
*s* I'm not going to complain! I imagine that would be a little shorter than other moo houses but inchie houses are not all the same height, either so...it's ok with me. These are all for private trades, not a swap that might have particular requirements....

Anyone know about moo houses? When I did them, I did the same as the inchies, leaving most of the moo showing and just a tiny snip of the top glued to the roof....but I'm no expert there.

Rogue Gal
06-23-2013, 03:12 AM
Hmm, most moo houses I have in my collection seem to start with a rectangular base that is moo sized (1 x 2.75 inches), with an added roof overlapping a portion of that moo, so the height is taller/longer than a regular moo. Most are approximately 3 1/4 inches high/long.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever :)

Jean
06-23-2013, 12:07 PM
I checked my moo houses, they're the same as yours RG - a bit taller than an unroofed moo.

Miss Iowa, in your place, I'd make the moo house however you liked and just note in the description that the entire house measures 2.75. That way anyone trading would know beforehand and can choose accordingly.

I'm wondering...have the moos you've received also had the roof mounted lower to make the entire piece 2.75, or do you have a variety of heights?

Miss Iowa
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
I've only traded one moo house, and it's 2-3/4 inches tall. The person cut the entire shape out of one piece of paper; that is, the roof was not a separate piece attached to the top of the moo.

I thought I'd practice making a moo house last night, and that brought back memories of the previous moo houses I made. First, (to my eye) the house looks out of proportion if I attach the roof at the very top. I feel like the house needs a wider roof at that point. Second, I think the placement of the roof was in part dictated by the size of the images or ephemera I used. For example, the moo I made last night ended up 2-7/8 inches tall. (Good thing I learned fractions at some point! LOL)

As a collage artist, scale and proportion are key. So, it's possible that my moos will not be uniform in height and as long as no one minds (and if there's no hard and fast rule for the -athon), I like having that flexibility. They certainly won't be too far off the mark, however. :cute:

Nancy
06-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh my, This is supposed to be fun! I have over a hundred moo houses and certainly never measured one that I completed or received.. just enjoy the process.

Miss Iowa
06-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Since the dimensions of ATCs are strictly enforced, there's precedent for asking whether there's any leeway on other items.

Jean
06-23-2013, 04:55 PM
I think it's a valid point - lots of folks are very careful to make sure the atcs they collect are the precise 2.3x3.5 inches, so it's definitely a point to consider regarding the moohouses.

I will do some research, Miss Iowa,and see how others have done the moo house rooftops. Thanks for bringing it up so we can look into it before the Mini-HAT!

prayer_at_night
06-23-2013, 05:17 PM
I always make mine by cutting out a moo and a half-inchie roof (of course), then I cut the upper edges of the moo a bit (3 - 5 mm, I'd say) in a 45 angle and put the roof on - that way, there's a bit more space to glue the roof, you know? And that would make them probably right between "moo (with straight edges) + roof" and "complete house is the size of a moo", height-wise.
I think all the moo houses I have received so far are longer than a moo (too lazy to measure them right now), but I wouldn't mind either way. :)

Just Ducky
06-23-2013, 05:51 PM
now the duck is lost again... are we doing ... inchies.... moo's..... and moo houses ??

can we do just Moo's ???? without the roof ???

might answer my own questions after more needed coffee or Baileys ....

Just Ducky
06-23-2013, 05:52 PM
HI Jean, just so excited to see you HOSTING us a fun marathon weekend...

Jean
06-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi, sweet Ducky! Well, you know, it *is* a mini-hat (house-a-thon), so I kinda think folks will be expecting houses....

But if you want to make Moo-Skyscrapers....I'm not gonna say no! :)

Just Ducky
06-23-2013, 06:06 PM
oh dear no.... not skyscrapers, ducky is afraid of tall buildings....:wideeyed:

have done a few (regular) Moo's... thinking I tried the houses, not really sure..
but hey, challenge... right ?? will start gathering stuff.... have marked my calendar...

Jean
06-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Yay, Ducky! If not skyscrapers, we'll call them little apartment buildings, lol. Don't want our ducky scared !

JAD
06-24-2013, 12:50 AM
This sounds like fun.. Are we doing the inchie houses, the Moo houses, or both the inchiee and Moo house :):)

KESagers
06-24-2013, 08:14 AM
In the past I always added the rooftops to the standard moo and inchie size so that would make the final size larger.

Jean
06-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Hi,Jeannie...we're doing inchie houses, moo houses, and flat-roofed moo 'houses' too, right Ducky? ;)

Some inchie house examples are here (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26541). I'll try to get some moo house options up in the thread, too.

Kynara
06-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm still confused about the "a-thon" part... but I looooove inchies and moos and would love to try making houses with them.

My main problem is not having constant access to the computer. It's not near my art desk and I'll prolly have to either tie up my BF or lock him out of the house to be able to have "anytime" access to the computer... maybe I can borrow my daughter's iPad... it's easier than trying to keep up on my iPhone. (too small)

Jean
06-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Yay, kynara! Glad to have you play with us!

The athon part...Originally, the idea was to clear the weekend for art and then to make cards all week long with trading on the final day, if I recall them correctly. They started Friday midnight and ended Sunday midnight.

The last ones I've done...well, it varied with every player! Some people hang out in the thread admiring the eyecandy, others check in when they post their art and then get back to work making art. Some trade fast and furious during the athon, others wait.

And for all of us, life can interfere, so we have a nice long playtime for this one!

We have a good bit of time to prepare. Here are some things you can do to make arting it up easier during the thon...

-cut out inchie and moo blanks
-cut out rooftop blanks (inchies cut in half, corner to corner)
-gather the pens/pencils/paints you want to use
-assemble your glues and topcoats (if you use finish coats)
-find appropriately-sized images and cut them neatly, storing in boxes or containers
-get right-sized embellishments and store int containers
-make sure you have lots of cardboard supports to add to envelopes when mailing
-get your inks for edging and the stamps you want to use...
-make a list of styles/colors/themes that you want to work with - the more exciting ideas you have on your list, the more your athon muse will be raring to go!

hope this helps!

Jean
06-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Oh, and kynara, buy him a new game or dvd - and give it to him when the athon starts! ;) Or tell him it's a girls long weekend...and suggest he have a guys' night of ESPN...

KESagers
06-25-2013, 06:16 PM
These are leftover from the last house marathon - and still available for trade. ;)

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_old_inchie_houses.jpg

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/768/medium/1_old_moo_houses.jpg

Jean
06-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Ooooh, eyecandy! Those are super! That ought to drum up interest!!!! Thanks for posting them!!!

Kynara
06-26-2013, 05:57 AM
hope this helps!

it does, thanks! :cute:

Oh, and buy him a new game or dvd - and give it to him when the athon starts! ;) Or tell him it's a girls long weekend...and suggest he have a guys' night of ESPN...

I managed to get a hold of my oldest daughter, she's going to bring me her netbook, it should fit right on my desk and since my scanner is wireless it's by my desk anyways. I'll be ready to go :cool:

Jean
06-26-2013, 02:02 PM
*high five* All right!

I'm assembling my athon box...a small plastic bin that is perfect for holding all my inchie/moo supplies. It makes moving from room to room easy - without forgetting anything.

KESagers
06-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks Jean!

Kynara sounds like you are ready to rock and roll with us!

JAD
06-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah!!!! Got all my Moo's and inchies, ready to go.... I just did my 1st moo's in two swaps I am in...What fun Now I get to make houses :spinny:

Miss Iowa
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
it does, thanks! :cute:

I managed to get a hold of my oldest daughter, she's going to bring me her netbook, it should fit right on my desk and since my scanner is wireless it's by my desk anyways. I'll be ready to go :cool:

I have to run to the other end of the basement to get to my computer and scanner.

But I figure that counts as exercise. ;)

Jean
06-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Ha! I figure typing on the keyboard is exercise, lolol. Every calorie burned up counts! ;)

Suze
06-27-2013, 01:20 AM
I have to subscribe to this thread!
1.love Jean.
2.love Moo houses.
3.love a-thon's.

(haven't done anything on afa for so long, I'm just dipping my toes in the art water and its feeling warm enough.....) :)

Jean
06-27-2013, 11:58 AM
ROFL Well, I love you, too, Suze, and am delighted to have you play! We're going to have SUCH fun....mini-hats are the best!!!!!

Jean
06-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Thinking of daily challenges for our mini-hat. Any that appeal? I was thinking of
-collage houses
-specific colors
-one or more words....

Any ideas??

jonquil
06-27-2013, 08:03 PM
colours definitely - maybe make a rainbow of houses???

Jean
06-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Rainbow houses!!!!!! *swoon* I love this!!!!!!

What else would be a fun theme?

Anyone want to help host (Europe/Asia/Australia)?

prayer_at_night
06-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I'd love to help hosting! :cute:

Also, challenges... there are so many fun things to make with moo or inchie houses!

For example, I'd just love to see mini houses that you can open (like a doll house) - with windows in the front so you can get a peek at what's inside, and then you open it and there's some kind of scene behind it! (Can be really close to a "normal" house or not at all...) I don't know how hard it will be to make them, but I'll try to make a "blank" of one of those before the a-thon. ;)

I think I'd also love to challenge everyone to make "realistic" little houses that look like, well, miniature houses. ;) I love it as well when the shape is designed however the artist wants, but I think it's a nice little challenge to enhance our architecture skills while having fun. ;)

...I'll think about this some more and try to come up with some more challenges you could consider. :)

theweavershand
06-28-2013, 02:44 PM
great challenge ideas!!

Jean
06-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks, prayer-at-night, for helping to host! Gosh knows I can always use help! :)

And I LOVE LOVE the houses that OPEN!!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeee! That just freezes me!

Thinking of daily challenges for our mini-hat. Any that appeal?
-collage houses
-specific colors: rainbow
-one or more words
-realistic
-houses that open

Any other suggestions?

KESagers
06-29-2013, 12:24 PM
This one has to come from me - recycled inchies and moos - turning ones that haven't traded into houses. You know glamming them up even more and putting a roof on so that they are better than best.

Jean
06-29-2013, 12:34 PM
OOOH, great idea! I'll add it to our list!

-collage houses
-one or more words
-realistic
-houses that open
-recycle old cards into inchie/moo houses

Any other suggestions?

Amapola
06-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Sounds good! One more challenge could be black and white, or b&w with a pop of one colour. I'll write down the dates, though I'm not sure yet if I'll have time to play.

Nancy
06-29-2013, 06:03 PM
That sounds fun....I love black and white art!

Rogue Gal
06-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Darn, just found out yesterday that instead of having that weekend off, I have to fill in for a co-worker. That means a lot less time to play, but I will do my best!

Jean
06-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks-added to the list!
We hope you'll be able to play, RG! It's Thursday -Tuesday, so hopefully you'll get some time in there...

-collage houses
-one or more words
-realistic
-houses that open
-recycle old cards into inchie/moo houses
- black and white, or b&w with a pop of one colour

Any other suggestions?

Jean
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
I've added to the House Construction - Minis: Inchie/Moo and TIPS! (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1425076#post1425076) tutorial in the Art Discussions forum to show examples of houses that open. Hope this helps!

I didn't cut out doors and/or windows; I figured house builders could add those as they wish. I am far more likely to draw those than cut them out.

jonquil
07-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Getting excited here!!!!

KESagers
07-02-2013, 05:59 PM
That's very helpful Jean. I didn't realize there were so many options - now I'll have to think how I want to make them.

Jean
07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
The OFFICIAL mini-HAT thread is open for business! Please post here! (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26660)

If any of you have any leftover houses available, why don't you post to the thread to excite interest in our 'development'?