PDA

View Full Version : ~Impromptu Learn-a-thon Now through Sunday Jan 26th~

Linda4atc
01-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Come Join us in a LEARN-A-THON!!!!

The goal here is not trading but learning, so feel free to work with whatever size you want. This said if you do wish to trade with someone that is totally up to the two of you..

General goals

1) To use those How to Art books most of us have sitting around collecting dust.
2) To do the lessons and to get lots of practice.
3) To practice, practice, have fun and practice.

Rules

1) Have Fun and Learn
2) Use lessons from any book or even an online site to study from.
3) Optional … Share what you are working on we would all love to see it.
4) We can all encourage each other not to give up. To have fun and to try to stretch our abilities….

Any Questions just ask!

Amerasu has several great online links in the first post of her Daily Drawing Club (http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25946):

Linda4atc
01-20-2014, 12:23 PM
One of my goals for this LAT is to get better at people drawing and to make clay ornament gifts for Christmas this year. I did a little Fimo work for Halloween but I really want to learn to do more stuff and just bought a big Polymer clay book! Also want to do some more practice on One Stroke painting and maybe some Encaustic painting. I have bought all these things and hardly use them so I still have a lot to learn and perfect in each.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_001_.jpg
Yesterday my hubby and I spent the day outside working on our little craft projects.
He paints Warhammer figures, and i started out by making some Halloween decorations out of some pieces of scrap wood. LOL it is a project I thought to do in October. I ended up painting a one stroke flower that I really struggled with so I know I still need to learn that technique better.

Purple pencil
01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm in, I am always experimenting and trying to learn new things! phoenix177, you can start with my marker tutorial! I have more movies I want to post for more realistic marker. I'm working on a 4x4 lion in marker, want to learn how to do fur in marker.

goatgoddess
01-20-2014, 12:56 PM
great idea - that is my goal too to really use those books I have rather than just looking at the great pictures. <G> not sure I will have time this week but will pop in if I do.
been really reading a couple last week.

there are some great drawing tutes on Penerest.

thepozbabe
01-20-2014, 01:20 PM
I am really going to try and join in. There are so many things i really need to practice. Especially my drawing. I have neglected that for collage. X

Donnacr
01-20-2014, 01:33 PM
I will try to play - I need to experiment with my alcohol inks and Dylusion sprays.

Miss M
01-20-2014, 01:37 PM
for now I'm going to lurk...I have two swaps I need to finish up this week, but if I get those done in time I may then switch to trying out something new! Plus reading what others are up to always gives me new ideas! LOL

Linda4atc
01-20-2014, 01:39 PM
I just added a photo I took yesterday, My husband and I plan to do some painting this afternoon, then tomorrow he is headed out of town for 3 days so I figure I will have plenty of time to do this LAT.

Gypsy Spirit
01-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Linda, so very cool that you and your hubby share a love for crating!
I do quite a bit of polymer clay sculpting so I can try to help you learn that.
What i have been practicing is landscapes in watercolor pencils and hope to get a set of inktence pencils befor the weekend is over.

do we post links to share, or just decuss our triles and errors and share advice with others from our experience?

Gypsy Spirit
01-20-2014, 01:51 PM
purplepencil, you get such an amazing affects with your markers! I it apears as though you are working with paints. what kind of markers are you using?

Linda4atc
01-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Definitely share links, pictures, stories whatever. We can use all the inspiration and support. So even those that don't have much time to do anything are still welcome to drop in and comment. I just left "you rock" rep points for all of you that I could. If you go to the bottom of User CP page you will see them. and the link to the post I used is on the left and will bring you to this page. Sometimes if nobody has posted since I last looked it is a nuisance finding a thread in my subscription so I often use this method if I have a rep hug from someone.

Jennie
01-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I'd love to Linda but I'll be at the ARTzona retreat.

marilou
01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
stop by now and then :>)))

Kynara
01-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Lurkie-loo... I have some swaps to catch up on (before I go back to work in a couple weeks) but I do want to lurk and see if I can learn anything new from what y'all do... :wubclub:

The only technique book I have is on my kindle and it's "borrowed" from the amazon library, I have it for another couple of weeks and need to try some stuff in it. It's 'Surface Treatment Workshop". Maybe I can try some of the techniques for the swaps I need to do... :)

KESagers
01-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks for letting me know! I hope I can play! :)

marilou
01-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Hi KYnara bought that book myself, I think it is wonderful!

FlyingPhoenix
01-20-2014, 06:14 PM
I'm hoping to play swap catch-up this week (I have 3 PATs to work on). But, I'll lurk and I may try something new on those in some respect. :)

Linda4atc
01-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Sounds great. I spent all morning painting different strokes for the one stroke tecnique. Then I spent the rest of the time doing azsorted roses. Both just random practice ones and small practice boquets. Tonight maybe I should cut some 4×6 or 5×7 that I can trade if they turn out.

I'll post some pictures later.

big toe studio
01-20-2014, 10:13 PM
well, these are practice pieces from an on-line class im taking, does that count?
I've never done faces with out a reference,so these are the 1st ones out of my head. looking for suggestions on hair, and shading on the faces. the teacher suggested using graphite for shading (long haired lady) but it just looks smudged to me.

I wont be around much this weekend either-at artzona retreat with Jennie and 38 other AFA artists

Linda4atc
01-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Yes it does count. and I like them both, but the one on the right with the long hair is my favorite. We are often our worst critics.....

A perfect example is me and my One Stroke Painting. I do like the over all look, but I keep compairing my flowers to those in the book and they still need a lot of practice.

HHC
01-21-2014, 01:50 AM
Linda, those are gorgeous!

I'm traveling and will be at Artzona too. However while we're on the road I'm working on my watercolors. I have a little book with me for some techniques, and apparently left the bigger one with better instruction at home. boo! I really wanted to play with painting mist and fog (drove through a lot of it today!)
I'm playing as I go, so perhaps will have some to share soon. :)

Linda4atc
01-21-2014, 02:04 AM
Helen that sounds great. I hope that you all have a safe and fantastic time.

I spent the night working on an 8x8 of Martin Luther King. I have the background in copics but I plan to paint him in acrylics. I'm working on his sketch and hope to actually make it look like him. LOL.

KaleidescopeI's
01-21-2014, 02:13 AM
Linda, I think you did a great job. Those flowers are fab. I know I tried some a few years back and I had trouble keeping the colors from getting muddy. I got pretty frustrated.

CastleQueen5
01-21-2014, 02:18 AM
I need to watch this thread, and learn something. I will catch up here after I read the rest of the silliness on the art a thon thread.

marilou
01-21-2014, 04:09 AM
Well I could not draw/paint faces at all. My 7 year old granddaughter did a better job.
I bought the book: Mixed media Girls bu Suzi Blu. It comes with a DVD.
My avatar for the moment is one of the faces I learned to draw from this book as well as
this two. I can not draw real people, it does not work :<(((

137979 137980

Foxglove
01-21-2014, 04:10 AM
I haven't been doing much ATC'ing because of work and studying, but I do have these two as works in progress. I used the photo transfer technique (using free images, of course) and gel medium. On the bird on the left, I enhanced the colors with watercolor pencils, but I haven't done it with the peacock yet.

I misjudged the size when I printed them, so they don't take up the whole slide as I originally planned. (I did a pretty poor job of trying to fill in the background on the bird on the right, haha!) I actually like this technique, and will use it again if I can ever figure out what else to do with the cards.

big toe studio
01-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Linda: those flowers look fab. to me

Marilou: love your girls-i have been admiring your avitar

Fox; those transfers are cool

see you soon, Helen

Purple pencil
01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
purplepencil, you get such an amazing affects with your markers! I it apears as though you are working with paints. what kind of markers are you using?

My favorite are my copics. I'm building up my collection. I also have Prismas, spectrum noirs (don't like them or recommend them), bic fineliners and sharpies (don't use much). I am in search of the perfect fine line markers and not happy with the way I ink my drawings. Do I use black? Maybe gray, brown if I can cover it up, when there are parts showing at the end it makes me crazy. Tried no outline last night, looks weird, like bad 70's illustrations. I really want a very light flesh ink pen that will allow me erase pencil lines... None exist. I also bought a pentel pocket pen for inking, but I suck at it... Need to practice, thin and thick lines but I don't like the comic book look...

I'm experimenting with scanning and printing my drawings very lightly... But then I have to cut my ATCs and I prefer the precut ones.

Great work, love the flowers and faces.

marilou
01-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks Sherrie, and I agree, those flowers are really stunning Linda.
Have a fun time Helen!

Kynara
01-21-2014, 12:44 PM
My favorite are my copics. I'm building up my collection. I also have Prismas, spectrum noirs (don't like them or recommend them), bic fineliners and sharpies (don't use much). I am in search of the perfect fine line markers and not happy with the way I ink my drawings. Do I use black? Maybe gray, brown if I can cover it up, when there are parts showing at the end it makes me crazy. Tried no outline last night, looks weird, like bad 70's illustrations. I really want a very light flesh ink pen that will allow me erase pencil lines... None exist. I also bought a pentel pocket pen for inking, but I suck at it... Need to practice, thin and thick lines but I don't like the comic book look...

I'm experimenting with scanning and printing my drawings very lightly... But then I have to cut my ATCs and I prefer the precut ones.

Great work, love the flowers and faces.

as far as fine line marker goes... copic multiliners SP are what I use and adore. they're about $8-10 per pen, BUT they are refillable and the nibs are replaceable (i'm hard on the tips sometimes lol) Alot of the fineline pens I've tried have a .005 nib, the multiliners also have a .003 which is even tinier... the sizes I use most are those two for thin detail lines and a .02 for regular lines. :wubclub:

They also have a cheaper disposable version but I hate spending money on those types and accidentally bending the nib right after I get it. all that ink is wasted.

Linda4atc
01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you all for the comments on my flowers. LOL like I said we are our own worst critics. On my roses I got the background petals too ripply and the center petals are smooth so they don't match. Also I need to get my leaves and the petals on the small flowers to be more consistent in size and shapes.

Mariloupatch, I love the way you are doing your lady faces now. They are lovely with a bit of Whimsy. I wish I could draw as well from my mind. I almost always draw from another image, I have a huge clipart program that I search when I need to draw something.

But my dream goal is to learn to do good quality realistic drawings of landscapes, people and other other real things instead of from some other image. Also I do think if I can get good enough at the One stroke flowers I might be able to my own original bouquets and stuff.

I haven't been doing much ATC'ing because of work and studying, but I do have these two as works in progress. I used the photo transfer technique (using free images, of course) and gel medium. On the bird on the left, I enhanced the colors with watercolor pencils, but I haven't done it with the peacock yet.

I misjudged the size when I printed them, so they don't take up the whole slide as I originally planned. (I did a pretty poor job of trying to fill in the background on the bird on the right, haha!) I actually like this technique, and will use it again if I can ever figure out what else to do with the cards. Those look pretty cool. Maybe a bit of background rubberstamping on them or a little found poetry would be the perfect way to complete them without having to do a lot of other stuff to them.

I found two websites to share:

http://artists.pixelovely.com/ (Lots of options for both figure and animal drawing)

www.craftsy.com <-- I'm just discovering this place and it is WONDERFUL. I'm almost considering the tutorials on knitting. But that would be yet another hobby that costs money lol. I have used that first link, and really need to use it some more. I think it is one of the links over at the Daily Drawing Club thread, or at least I found it at the same time.

LOL and I know what you mean about starting knitting. I have so many different hobbies and spent money to get a bunch of stuff that I still have waiting for me to use. So many supplies and books for sewing fabrics and patterns, quilting, scrapbooking, rubberstamping, polymer clays, Pergamano, Encaustics, cross stitch, silk ribbon embroidery, watercolors, acrylics and lots of yarns for knitting and crochet. It's embarrassing.

Purple pencil have you tried the gray or sepia Copic multiliners? They may give you a bit of outline without looking comic.

Miss M
01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
I can also endorse the copic multiliners! They come on several thicknesses, you you can always find which works best. And they do not smear with alcohol-based markers...on bristol. :-) On marker paper, I find you have to let them "dry".

I never thought of using the grey/sepia ones. Thanks for the tip!

native killette
01-21-2014, 01:40 PM
I will definitely try to participate! I got inktense pencils & Neocolor II's. also I just bought some brush tip PITT pens so I need practice! I also have a drawing lab book that has several "labs" to work from. Exciting stuff!

FlyingPhoenix
01-21-2014, 02:12 PM
I just thought of this...I have some prismacolored pencils that I haven't tried. I'll have to dabble in those over this Athon!

native killette
01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
FP prismacolors are glorious! I can't go back to crayola now!

sarat
01-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Hi Linda--i missed your last learn-a-thon but have been playing with my micron pens and watercolors this morning. I have been celebrating my birthday for a week but today is the day i was born. I decided to spend it at home doing art and enjoying my garden and house.

I will go to the links later and try my hand at something new. I am so used to having a goal and finished product but my birthday intention is to play and practice and try new techniques.

Miss M
01-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Happy Birthday Sara!

KaleidescopeI's
01-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Happy Birthday sarat!!

Linda4atc
01-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Ohh Sara it is good to see you here and I hope that you are having a marvelous birthday! I ended up with a headache this afternoon and have had a hard time getting my muse in gear, but I have all my paints set up old TV reruns on the dvd player and I'm ready to tackle my Martin Luther King painting. I did it because of the holiday and I want to open a 8x8 Holiday swap.

Miss M
01-21-2014, 09:47 PM
okay, well I recently signed up for a mixed media course, so I'm dabbling in acrylics where I never have before. This isn't a class project, but I was inspired by the Gustav Klimt swap I just finished. THis is my ode to this painting (which I love!)
http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Danne-marie%2Bzilberman%2Bart%26start%3D10%26client%3Dfi refox-beta%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D986%26bih%3D537&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&u=http://artjustartjustart.blogspot.com/2010/09/anne-marie-zilberman.html

So this was all painted in acrylics (new for me) with some gold leaf applied.

Linda4atc
01-22-2014, 01:39 AM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_ML_King_1-20-2014.jpg well it looks more like a caricature of him than realistic. I am planning to host another 8x8 swap. This one for any traditional Holidays. I should have it started this weekend. Hand drawn, the background is Copics, King is acrylic paints.

Then I went to the link Phoenix177 in post#29. I couldn't find my sketchbook but I drew some animals.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/1_horse_and_kittens_1-2-2014.jpghttp://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/1_dog_and_cat_1-20-2014.jpg

marilou
01-22-2014, 04:08 AM
Not bad at all Linda, your Martin Luther King. Certainly could not do better! I can not draw anything realistic, and certainly not animals, they are my worst nightmare.

Linda4atc
01-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Thank you Mrilou . I woke up for a bathroom run, and since hubby is away I thought I'd take the time to drop in and say hi to any international players working the opposite shift. LOL

It's 4am here, what time is it there? Are you working on anything special?

FlyingPhoenix
01-22-2014, 08:22 AM
Not bad at all Linda, your Martin Luther King. Certainly could not do better! I can not draw anything realistic, and certainly not animals, they are my worst nightmare.

I hear ya! I'm not sure what to catorgorize my style, but it's certainly not realistic. Animals (in terms of drawing them) scare me....Go you Linda!

marilou
01-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Hi Linda, back from shopping (food and cleaning stuff) and I had a nice pedicure.
After lunch, no rain for today, hubby wanted me to give him a hand with the winter cleaning in the garden. Lots of stuff has to be cut before the new leafs are coming out.
I am broken. Don't think I will do much more art today, my back hurts to much.
Worst thing is, we did about 1/20e of what has to be done before April.
F-Phoenix, you got me into postcards, and I just love the size. I will prepare backgrounds maybe...for the athon end of the month.
My gardener let us down in November, so we decided not to wait for him anymore and started on a huge job.

marilou
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Thank you Mrilou . I woke up for a bathroom run, and since hubby is away I thought I'd take the time to drop in and say hi to any international players working the opposite shift. LOL

It's 4am here, what time is it there? Are you working on anything special?

Oh forgot the time, it was 1.15 PM here when your e-mail arrived :>))))

Linda4atc
01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Ouch! So sorry that you have so much work to do, and that it made you hurt. Getting old really sucks. I get wiped out just going into town running my errands and grocery shopping. But then again, if I dropped 100lbs I probably wouldn't hurt so much either. :embarrassed:

Looks like another nice day so I think I'll drag my paints back outside to work today. I get more light and don't have to run the generator or run down the trailer batteries. I too like the postcard size. Maybe I should cut some and try my hand at painting scenes from what I see around me today......

marilou
01-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Great idea Linda, share us your views please, on postcards :>)

Purple pencil
01-22-2014, 12:25 PM
I actually went to the library yesterday and checked out 7 books! I suck at clouds... Could not draw a cloud to save my life :P. I did however, manage to pull off a brass bowl in both colored pencil and marker. I really want to do some pencil sketches, but I hate getting pencil all over an I smear it everywhere. I'll do some more from the books, I have on for animals... And post pics. Lynda your animals look great.

marilou
01-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks Dehh68, most appreciated!

Linda4atc
01-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Awesome Purple pencil, I used to love to spend hours in the craft section of the library. Although usually most of the books I found were really outdated making bazaar gifts or making clothing from the 70's it was always fun. LOL

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/1_LAT_acrylics_1-22-2014.jpg
These are postcard size 4x6. I did not draw anything I just started painted. I sat out side looking up at the redwoods and did the two tree cards. Then I got out one of my books and did the under the sea one.

Linda4atc
01-23-2014, 12:18 AM
I hope everything is going well for all of you. I didn't get anything else done today and even though it's only 8:30 I think I'm going to go to bed. Just feeling tired. Good news is I have my encaustic stuff out so I'm going to do some of that tomorrow. One thing I want to try is using the tiny Iron (wand type) I bought for Beeswax collage to do atc size encaustic painting. It is hard working that small space with the bigger iron.

Tribble79
01-23-2014, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the invite! I hope to learn something from looking at what you all draw. I have so much to do this weekend, I doubt I will get anything art related done...

marilou
01-23-2014, 04:29 AM
Those postcards are great Linda, are they up for trade?:notworthy:

FlyingPhoenix
01-23-2014, 08:22 AM
AWESOME postcards, Linda!

...you know I'm running an open-themed postcard swap, right? ;) :wubclub:

Linda4atc
01-23-2014, 11:53 AM
ROFL No FP I did not know. I made a goal to do more stuff myself and my family this year so I have tried to stay out of the swap forums. Marilou I may be willing trade some but I want my husband to see them first and he might want to keep them. He will be home Saturday sometime so I'll let you know.

Linda4atc
01-23-2014, 11:55 AM
(shakes her head) :unsure: I really like the sea postcard.... but I didn't think my trees were that good.

Linda4atc
01-23-2014, 07:25 PM
OK I spent the day outside doing my Encaustic wax painting until the wind chased me inside. What are all of you up to? Anything to share?

The APCs are available to trade. the Postcards are undecided, I may trade, keep or use for the postcard swap....
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_3_of_clubs_1-23-2014.jpg... http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Club_Tree_1-23-2014.jpg

Linda4atc
01-23-2014, 07:31 PM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Sailing_1-23-2014.jpg sailboat http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Lone_Tree_1-23-2014.jpg Lone Tree

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Little_Lake_1-23-2014.jpg Little Lake http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Dragon_1-23-2014.jpg Dragon

All this is done with a Hot Iron and hot stylus. I ended up tossing a few because I get the colors all muddy. Also I really need to watch the video again to learn some different strokes.

Hazartist1
01-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Linda, What a wonderful idea...and I envy you having a crafty husband!!!! Cool. I will be practicing some more sumi-e, as I want to get good at it. I will post some of my art along the way. Also, I need to work on texturing, collaging and stamping techniques. Lots to do!

SunTrade
01-23-2014, 09:24 PM
I have an atc greeting cards tutorial on my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueZq3qtgBI)!

Besides that if anyone is interested in leaning landscapes in oil, I am available.

Linda4atc
01-23-2014, 09:39 PM
I would love to learn landscapes but oils are one of the few mediums I have not started yet. LOL

native killette
01-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Linda those are absolutely... Devine would be the word. Lone tree & 3 of clubs are beautiful! Haven't dabbled in the encaustic medium but we sell that little wand iron at my work!

Maria I would love to learn how to paint the oil landscapes! The ones for my monochromatic postcard swap were gorgeous! I think we just put some oil paints on clearance too! I might take you up on that offer when I have a bit of free time.

I'm crafting tonight so I'll post if I do anything new & exciting!

kretakim
01-23-2014, 10:36 PM
I love the idea of this learn-a-thon. I want to learn to do more of the mixed media. I love the creative collage type cards everyone makes but I just don't have the know how to make them. I would also love to work in markers more. I have some letraset ones and tombow ones, that are both water based. Is it possible to create the same effects as with the alcohol pens? I don't have the income enough to buy the copics.

I did see some posts about drawing. The big change in my drawing skills came with an old book called "Drawing on the right side of the Brain". If you follow it, step by step and do what it says, it will make an accurate drawer out of you. Its the best I have ever found.

Jewels
01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Great stuff there Linda. I've been working on learning to wood carve. Very different from clay but interesting.

SunTrade
01-24-2014, 12:59 AM
I actually went to the library yesterday and checked out 7 books! I suck at clouds... Could not draw a cloud to save my life :P. I did however, manage to pull off a brass bowl in both colored pencil and marker. I really want to do some pencil sketches, but I hate getting pencil all over an I smear it everywhere. I'll do some more from the books, I have on for animals... And post pics. Lynda your animals look great.

I think clouds are impossible unless you sue watercolors, acrylics or oils! :arghh:

SunTrade
01-24-2014, 01:00 AM
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Sailing_1-23-2014.jpg sailboat http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Lone_Tree_1-23-2014.jpg Lone Tree

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Little_Lake_1-23-2014.jpg Little Lake http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Dragon_1-23-2014.jpg Dragon

All this is done with a Hot Iron and hot stylus. I ended up tossing a few because I get the colors all muddy. Also I really need to watch the video again to learn some different strokes.

These are beautiful! Do you have a link for the video?

SunTrade
01-24-2014, 01:09 AM
I would love to learn landscapes but oils are one of the few mediums I have not started yet. LOL

My style of painting takes several weeks ... but I have learned to make several paintings Bob Ross Style.

You can see some of my work here:

http://mariahamiltonoils.blogspot.com/2010/06/oil-paints-are-indeed-my-favorite.html

Each painting is a learning experience.

There is a boy I love to watch. He is really fast!. I personally do not like to rush through my painting. However, when someone does that style for years, you can finish a painting in 30 minutes. I do love his style which is similar to what I do, but he uses too much black. I personally almost never use black oil paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCbsXJfyk8

Linda4atc
01-24-2014, 05:56 AM
Here you go. I actually bought a starter set that came with a DVD but it is also the same one online. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=K1ZkxdizTfY

I spent the whole night looking up polymer clay stuff online. It is very difficult to watch videos with my internet. They keep lagging and have to catch up. I am also very tempted to shop for the first time on ebay but I don't understand the bidding stuff.

KESagers
01-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Those are beautiful Linda!

marilou
01-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Linda those encaustics are amazing. I tried it once and it was a mess.
Have to try again tomorrow :>))))

ARTG33K74
01-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Hello all,

I have a free drawing tutorial here that ma help some people:

ShellieLewis [dot] wordpress enter "drawing" in the search box

I also have book scans for digital, mixed media, bookbinding and other art. Email me at artg33k74 at gmail and I will send you a link to Dropbox, copy and paste the .pdf books to your hard drive.

Linda4atc
01-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Where in the heck did this day go? I have been reading, watching and studying polymer clay and encaustic how tos most of the day.

SunTrade
01-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Here you go. I actually bought a starter set that came with a DVD but it is also the same one online. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=K1ZkxdizTfY

I spent the whole night looking up polymer clay stuff online. It is very difficult to watch videos with my internet. They keep lagging and have to catch up. I am also very tempted to shop for the first time on ebay but I don't understand the bidding stuff.

Thank you! I will check the video out!

Have you tried the sculpey website project page (http://www.sculpey.com/projects)? It has great an easy projects. I went through a sculpey face years back. Really loved making canes ... And pretty much know the tids and bits about it. Have not worked with it for a long time. I even thought of holding an sculpey bics pen swap, but I honestly do not have the time ... maybe someone would!

Here are some pictures of some I made. It made me mad they were on a small table and my boys kicked it with the vacuum, and some kind of broke ....

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/855/qktn.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/835/fgax.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/17/9s0w.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/20/yzug.jpg

marilou
01-25-2014, 05:35 AM
Those are great Maria.

marilou
01-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Got my encaustics out, what a mess!
Maybe this Storm st Sea is ok?

boatbird
01-25-2014, 07:57 AM

Put a sheet of greaseproof or tissue paper under your drawing hand' it helps reduce smudging@

boatbird
01-25-2014, 08:05 AM
Got my encaustics out, what a mess!
Maybe this Storm st Sea is ok?

More than ok- wanna trade?

And another sailboat? I've died and gone to atc heaven!!! Would you be interested in a trade at all?

marilou
01-25-2014, 08:49 AM
[quote=boatbird;1521327]More than ok- wanna trade?

sure Boatgirl, will look into your gallery this afternoon.
Are you living in Edinburgh? I am coming to Edinburgh (again!) first
week of September. Hubby has a conference, at George Square.
One of my best friends lives in E!!!

And what about this one, a postcard, wild waters

boatbird
01-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Woohooo! I'm about 35 miles (60km) south of Edinburgh so it's not far. Maybe we can have a meetup when you are over?

marilou
01-25-2014, 09:13 AM
That would be SUPER! I'll keep in touch!

marilou
01-25-2014, 09:51 AM
and the last encaustic one: Poppies

Linda4atc
01-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Marilou those look good. I usually rewatch the dvd or videos each time. It just takes practice. I always end up tossing some in the trash. I also can't see to do the grass the way oes by just stroking through the painting. My strokes are too thick and lack color. Maybe I need more wax?

Another of my biggest problem is skies. I keep messing it up but I forgot that I could use the wax like a crayon and rub a hint of color on then use the heat of my finger to rub ,smooth, and blend it. I have gotten better with the styus. These trees are much better thanthe ones I did in the past. I use the stylus for my birds and grass too.

Linda4atc
01-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Hi Suntrade =You say you use Sculpy? I wonder if that could be why those pieces broke? In my online research One of the ladies said that Sculpy was great to work with but that it broke much easier than Fimo or Premo.

Unfortunately of the 15 or so packs of clay I have only one is Not Sculpy. I have been having trouble with the clay being too soft when I work it, I found out this is because of my warm hands and the softer brand of sculpy. The research says that I should be using Fimo which is harder to work but with my hands being so warm it should soften well and not be too soft. Also both Fimo and Premo are much less likely to break after baking.

Because of all of this I decided to use a lot of my clay to just practice and to use with the molds for things that will be glued to a base and hopefully will not break. Watching the videos I saw several people tint and shade the clay with pastel chalks, so I did a lot of that on these pieces as part of my learning process.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/large/1__clay_1-25-2014.JPG

SunTrade
01-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Marilou I think you did great work! I still have not had the chance to watch the video for instructions, but will do this weekend.

marilou
01-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Thanks Maria & Linda. I do not have the right equipment, I use a small travel iron, do not have a stylus and my wax blocks I have are cheap quality from a sale. I do not think I will invest in this type of art, I prefer to buy more expensive brushes, acrylics, oils and pens.

marilou
01-26-2014, 05:01 AM
and I use FIMO light, easy to handle and air-drying, you do not need to put it into the oven, thin pieces are dry within 6 hours.

Linda4atc
01-26-2014, 05:28 PM
My plans are to make figurines for my family as Christmas ornaments. I am also VERY interested in making miniatures. I have spent hours and hours looking stuff up online. About 20 years ago I had a kit to build a doll house (just the wood house with 4 rooms and attic). There was a miniatures shop near where I lived and after looking at the prices of stuff I decided not to get started. But I have always loved tiny little things. As a kid I had a whole set of jewelry that opened and you took out these cute little dolls that had long hair to play with. I loved them.

I am also thinking I would like to do some trades as a starter and later maybe host a couple swaps.

I don't have room to collect a bunch of figurines unless they are Holiday ornaments that are stored away most of the time. The things I am thinking of are charms around the size of a bottle cap but 3D, for a charm bracelet or necklace, and or sets of two dangles for earrings. Or in another direction it would be fun to build teeny little scenes into altoid tins because the tin would protect them. I do not want the dimensional or delicate stuff on the outside of the tin even though I have seen really gorgeous steampunk and flowery victorian altoid tins. It would just be easier for me to keep the unadorned tins and have them stacked up somewhere that I can actually open and view them occasionally.

SunTrade
01-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Indeed Linda Sculpey can get very soft and it breaks easier. But is also much easier to work with than Fimo. I find Fimo so hard to get ot to the consistency you can work with.

If you can find Dona Cato clay where you shop. Is probably the best one I have used so far.

Your figures are great! Are you using molds?

I also made magnets with molds and instead of painting them r using different colors, I would brush them with that pearl powder. they look so pretty and they are great for Christmas.

Another tip I can give you that will protect your work is instead of using varnish, I buy future wax (the one for the floor from Johnson and Johnson) and dip my work on it. You can do that for as many layers as you want. And it will make them shiny too. (See my pens). The floor wax is acrylic and works well with the clay.

I used all types of media with the clay. If I made doll faces I used regular make up!

Linda4atc
01-28-2014, 04:13 PM
I am going to have to get some Future wax, thanks for the tip. Everything on that tray except for the santa and the head is from molds. And I used pastel chalks to shade and a light finger rub of Pearl powder on the leaves.

I have good strength in my hands, a light touch takes more thought and effort for me. Also most of the time my hands get quite warm, on that little face the clay was showing the ridges in my fingerprints. I really want to work with something else.

I only have Michaels to shop at so my selection isn't too good. I am going tomorrow to buy a pasta machine, clay blade, and some other clay stuff. Feb not only has Valentines but also my anniversary and birthday so it will be my celebration gift.

I tried creating and making a Cat face cane without a pasta machine or instructions. It came out really goofy and the nose/mouth turned a bit sideways in the cane. I balled up some bigger chunks of the cane and made Creepy face beads that I decided to turn into figures I named Creepy Cal Cane and Creepy Cal Two. The name Cal reminds me that it started as a cat cane because one of our cats is named Callycat (Cal for short).

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/1_Creepy_Cal_s__1-26-2014_.jpg..http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/medium/2_my_art_001.jpg

Linda4atc
01-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Oooo Pretty! Love the picture (page?) too.