PDA

View Full Version : Easter-a-thon coming on April 17-21

sniisk
03-19-2014, 03:26 AM
Hi all, this is an important note to you. We are having (again) an Easter ATART on April 17-21. This in not the official thread yet but you are welcome to discuss here. I will post the official thread some days before the fun begins.

Anyway, this a-thon will be on Easter but is open to all themes.

Jean and Just Ducky are hosting with me.

miloccpep
03-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Marking the dates down on my calendar. May be able to join in the fun after 17th, as I have work on that day.

velcrodog
03-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for hosting!

sunriseiz
03-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Wahoo!

After the St. Pat's athon (which was GREAT), I realized I could use some help on keeping things organized. I work full time and have 3 young kiddos and I don't think I did things the best way. I would appreciate any suggestions from veteran athoners!

Thanks and looking forward to Easter! :)

lindalee
03-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Yay! I'll be there!

Allegrae
03-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Bookmarking...

KESagers
03-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Sounds like fun! :)

smallgirl
03-19-2014, 01:08 PM
I missed the Valentine's and St Patrick's athons, so I am definitely bookmarking this! Missed all the friendly chatter and fun art too!

Jean
03-19-2014, 02:29 PM
RE: Organization...

I have heard several thonners say they keep envelopes at the computer and slip traded cards into the envelope immediately and put the trader's name on the envy for addressing later. That sounds smart to me.

I tend to paint paint paint and not fill in the backs during an athon. Completing the back is a royal pain, so I plan to sign the backs as I create cards.

For the Easter ATART, I plan to take an old tissue box and put envelopes, sleeves, stamps, and notepaper inside it so I can get cards where they belong as we go.

I've promised myself this for many thons...maybe this time I'll do it!!!!

Jean
03-19-2014, 04:24 PM
You really have a system! It must be hugely helpful. :)
She lost me at 'spreadsheet'...

sunriseiz
03-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks Jean and Dehh68. I don't know if I could handle the spreadsheet approach. Maybe it's easy when you get it all set up? I might give it a try. I also prefer to save the backs until the end. When I've got time and paint, I'd rather paint because I might not be able to paint later. :) I might just try both systems next time and see which one "fits" me. Thank you!

Cathy1
03-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Bookmarking as I plan to be there

prayer_at_night
03-19-2014, 07:57 PM
I hope to play in this one! :D

Re: Organization... I usually do a bit of both of what the others said. *lol*
I have a "spread sheet" that is actually just the first handy piece of paper I can find. ;) And then I just put the number and title (or one word of the title or so, just so I remember which number means which card ;) ), the person I trade with, and the card I get in return. Also, because I find putting addresses on envelopes only slightly less annoying than adding my info to the backs of cards, I usually just get the envelope ready when I get an address (that way I don't have to do them all at the end of the a-thon!), and then I put the username on the back in pencil so I don't mix everything up. ;)

That's good enough for the numbers of cards I can make during an a-thon, so it's only tested for, what, maximum 15 cards? ^^° No idea how velcro:dog: does it with almost a hundred frickin cards?!?

sunriseiz
03-19-2014, 08:08 PM
I hope to play in this one! :D

That's good enough for the numbers of cards I can make during an a-thon, so it's only tested for, what, maximum 15 cards? ^^° No idea how velcro:dog: does it with almost a hundred frickin cards?!?

LOL! I would keel over for sure! With that kind of organization, velcro:dog: could likely run the world!!!

Thanks for your input prayer_at_night!

kretakim
03-19-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't know if I understand the concept of the "athon". I know everyone does their cards at once but what happens after that, where you have to have the organization? My organization is random at best... lol:)

Jean
03-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Athons are wild and crazy, kretakim!

Everyone makes cards and posts them to the thread and/or the athon gallery, which I just realized this past athon, lol. It is probably easier to keep up when you are posting ot the athon gallery, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, everyone posts their cards and requests trades via PM and chats in the thread. It's like an online party! :D

Because everyone is asking for trades and making as many cards as they can...it can get confusing to keep track of which cards you've traded to whom and what you're getting in return. I think I'm going to perhaps number my cards rather than title them (Poppies/Poppies and Buds/Pink Poppies/etc can get confusing!!!) and see how that works next thon...and I'm thinking maybe a special athon notebook wouldn't hurt.

Kimmie
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I numbered mine, too, and my "spreadsheet" was a composition notebook with my info and who I traded with and for what. I also put all my address there. It's not the best but definitely worked better than what I did for the Valentine's ATHON!! lol, which was index cards!!! :err: Never again!

BekaH
03-19-2014, 09:46 PM
I really hope to be able to play, if I can come up with some more postage, this last a-thon depleted my of ALL of my postage! LOL! I'm sure it will be well worth it though, as I made some AWESOME trades with awesome artists!

I am already in my spring/easter creative mood, so coming up with stuff shouldn't be a problem!

Thanks for hosting sniisk! :)

Question - How much in advance is it appropriate to open a pre thread for an athon? Just curious, as I do plan to host one myself, and this being my first time, need whatever pointers can be offered :)

As far as organization - The first a-thon I played in I tried to just write down all the trades I had made... Well THAT became complicated, LOL... This time I did, as Jean mentioned, find it quite helpful to write the names on the back of the cards AS they were asked for. :) And I agree, filling out the backs of the cards is the most annoying part... The rest is all good fun :P

Kimmie
03-19-2014, 10:01 PM
I keep thinking about getting a stamp for the backs of mine...but I've traded for some that had computer printed sticky labels with all the info on it! That may be the best way for me to go!

BekaH
03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
well, sadly, i don't have the money to get stamp or afford labels :( wahhhh

Linda4atc
03-19-2014, 10:07 PM
I have tried doing my backs as I go but that usually ends half way through the second day. LOL So guess what I have to do tonight? My backs.

As for envelopes as I go. That would probably work if you are doing only atcs. I often buy packs of note cards for trading and the only time I tried doing envies as I go I had to discard two of the envelopes because the trades wouldn't fit.

For the Valentines atart, I did not have note cards so I used legal size envelopes and I did the return address and stamped a heart on the ahead of time. That helped some.

Now what I do, and Vicki Z can testify that I am not good at doing after every pm, so I still get confused sometimes....
I have a cheap composition book or tablet, that I track my swaps and trades in. I do not have neat penmanship especially on notes to myself. But I rite username at the top of the page, list the cards with a circled Y or M next to them. Y for yours, and M for mine. I try to use pencil during a-thons if I request a card but not sure if I'm getting it.
I add the name and address at the bottom of the page when I get it. I have also started deleting pms when I place them in the book. I used to keep them all, and I do keep them until I write it down.

Just Ducky
03-19-2014, 10:25 PM
my system is a bit different but sure works for me... keeping track of trades.. I use file cards.. a pack of 6x4 are cheap... and here is the card I filled out for Vampiress... I have my file card here at computer and fill it in right away... as to what they want.. and add what I want when I send my request... also this way I have my file card and keep track of when I give and get itrader with a check mark... and then file card is put in box... I have a file card for every trade I have made since 2008...

I color code ... pink for USA and blue for international... no reason just one of them quirky things I do...

Just Ducky
03-19-2014, 10:31 PM
a nother easy thing to keep track of where your card goes...
in my gallery... when I move a card from available to traded... you have to click on EDIT..
so down at the bottom of that window.... where it says... Available or Traded ???
I write... For.... Vampiress .... this way if I forgot to write down my trader, it is rite there in my gallery...

smallgirl
03-19-2014, 10:53 PM
I haven't done too many athons, but what I have done to stay organized is have a few envelopes ready with a sticky note on the back. When I make a trade, I write the person's username on the back of the envie and pop the card they want in right away. Then I write what they are sending me on the sticky. This helps me keep track, especially if I trade with the same person a few times over the course of the athon. Then at the end I just address the envelopes and keep the stickies on my bulletin board and recycle them as cards arrive. I also do the same as Just Ducky, edit the card in the Traded section for who it is for.

Jean
03-19-2014, 10:56 PM
This info is SO helpful!

Just a note re: computer labels printed for atc backs. If you're using watercolor paper, the labels peel right off. At least, mine did. It works on cardstock bases, and I suspect if you glued it to w/c it would stick but by the time I'd print out labels, glue 'em on, let it dry, then fill in the data not on the label...I've not saved any time at all, so since I do watercolor almost invariably, I just bit the bullet and write 'em out.

miloccpep
03-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Sometimes, I like to just stamp a flower/animal, small enough so there's space to write all the necessary information like username,real name, swap and date. That way, I get to utilize my collection of stamps and stamp pads. Don't think that because you have the backing stamp, it is going to be easy. You still need to work on it, that is, stamp the backings!

kretakim
03-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Wow, it sure sounds like a frenzy! How do you ever manage to get cards actually made? Thank you all for your help. It has convinced me that I want to give it a try anyway. I love how everyone is so free to help on this site! One more question, do most folks just do regular atcs iris there a mix of stuff?

sunriseiz
03-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone for sharing how you do it! This is really helpful. Jean, thanks about the tip re: stickers and wc. I've thought about it, but never tried it. Oh, to have a custom stamp!

lindalee
03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
[B][U]
I have a cheap composition book or tablet, that I track my swaps and trades in.

This is what I do too...and write in the addys as they are pm'd to me later on.

I don't worry about the backs either during the Athon...just make the ART! I just made some computer printed labels as there were so many cards...didn't want to get writer's cramp filling out all those backs! I used plain paper and pasted them on. Then I just sign them. Next time I get to Staples I'll get some labels. I like the ability to customize the backs that way for the Athons (of which I am now totally entranced with!)

Linda4atc
03-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Now what I do, and Vicki Z can testify that I am not good at doing after every pm, so I still get confused sometimes....
I have a cheap composition book or tablet, that I track my swaps and trades in. I do not have neat penmanship especially on notes to myself. But I rite username at the top of the page, list the cards with a circled Y or M next to them. Y for yours, and M for mine. I try to use pencil during a-thons if I request a card but not sure if I'm getting it.
I add the name and address at the bottom of the page when I get it. I have also started deleting pms when I place them in the book. I used to keep them all, and I do keep them until I write it down.

OMG How many times can one make a fool of themselves! Yesterday I took my book down to the garage to measure and make notes on some furniture stored there. Now I can't find it. I even dumped out the apartment buildings recycle bin to see if I threw it away with some magazines. It has to be somewhere! I guess from now I do NOT delete my pms!!!!

Just of another place to look and found it.

Jean
03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Wow, it sure sounds like a frenzy! How do you ever manage to get cards actually made? Thank you all for your help. It has convinced me that I want to give it a try anyway. I love how everyone is so free to help on this site! One more question, do most folks just do regular atcs iris there a mix of stuff?

In an ATART (all-types-of-art-athon), anything goes! Medium/technique/style thons are dedicated to, say, collage or stamping or inchies, etc.

I find it helps to check into the thon thread every so often, usually when I'm waiting for something to dry. Some folks pop in only when they have art to post, some folks just hang out and party with us and don't make art at all! It's a whole lotta fun!! ;) Hope to see you at the next thon!

Here's the calendar (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4712), and if you subscribe to that thread, you'll never miss a thon!

jonquil
03-20-2014, 03:39 PM
I always number my cards - makes it so much easier - especially when two are similar likes Jean's Poppies!!! So SPATHON #1 for the St Patrick's Day Athon etc. As soon as someone requests a trade I put that card in an envelope with their name on it, print off an address label (if I have the address) and there you have it. If I trade later with the same person I just add the card to their envelope - this system as worked for me for every athon

Linda4atc
03-20-2014, 05:18 PM
I have another reason why I don't fill envelopes early. I like to take all my cards to Kinkos or Staples and make a color copy that I keep for myself. Or maybe I should say for my husband, lol I think it would really bother him that I traded everything away if he hadn't convinced me to keep a copy.

Cathy1
03-21-2014, 01:17 AM
I'm with you Jonquil, when I make a trade I start an envelope, if I have their address I address the envie there and then - if not when I get the address - saves me having to do them at the end.

I also keep who I traded with in my "Trading book" , what cards we traded and note when they arrive and I have left itrader and when I receive itrader.

This Trading Books works for me with the swaps I run as well. I keep a list of who joined, when their cards arrived and when itrader is left for me.

Donnacr
03-21-2014, 02:33 AM
I have 2 tables saved on my computer which I have used since I started on this site.
1) - has all my trades on it (swaps and PT) - it is in due date order (for PT it is the date they were mailed) with: swap name/cards I traded, Host/trader's name, date I mailed, date it arrived, the date the Host mailed and the date I received.
2) - is all my addresses. I have started adding the most recent date of trade as I was afraid the really old addresses were no longer correct.

During an Athon I start an envelope with each new trade and physically put each card in there to remind myself that it is no longer available. I also run a very messy list so that I can double check myself.

I like to upload cards in sets of 5 (maximum allowed by this site) and make sure that the backs are on them when they are uploaded. At the end of an Athon I take a copy of my Gallery (copy and paste into Word), so that I know what I made and file it with that Athon's returns. That way I can regularly clear my Gallery here but I never 'lose' any cards.

After the Athon I double check the contents of the envelope against my list when I put the addresses on (and update my address table). That is when I add all the details to my 'Trades' table. Then I mail them. . . and wait. . . . . . . .

lindalee
03-21-2014, 10:49 AM
I scan mine as I like to have a record of my work...
And I don't try to put them in envelopes until after because I like to look at my cards...nice to see them all together before I send them out to their new homes lol!

I have another reason why I don't fill envelopes early. I like to take all my cards to Kinkos or Staples and make a color copy that I keep for myself. Or maybe I should say for my husband, lol I think it would really bother him that I traded everything away if he hadn't convinced me to keep a copy.

lindalee
03-21-2014, 10:51 AM
FABULOUS idea Just Ducky...I'm adopting it!

in my gallery... when I move a card from available to traded... you have to click on EDIT..
so down at the bottom of that window.... where it says... Available or Traded ???
I write... For.... Vampiress .... this way if I forgot to write down my trader, it is rite there in my gallery...

HiddenTreasure2010
03-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Hope I can make it.

sunriseiz
03-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Wow! Thanks for all of the great ideas and tips! I'm looking forward to this athon!!!

Jean
03-22-2014, 12:01 AM
I'll be there!

sniisk
03-22-2014, 05:49 AM
RE: Organization...

I have heard several thonners say they keep envelopes at the computer and slip traded cards into the envelope immediately and put the trader's name on the envy for addressing later. That sounds smart to me.

This is how I do it. I think I presented my ways of keeping track on trades etc. somewhere in Lounge year ago.

marilou
03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
not at home during this athon :cry:
hugging my grandchildren in Belfast instead :spinny:

Just Ducky
03-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Marilou, hugging grandchildren and Easter bunny, don't get better then that.. and there is always a new marathon on the horizon .

Linda4atc
03-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Just sharing a few memories....
When my son was young each year we did the Big Southern CA Renaissance faire. Easter usually fell between The start of the participants workshops and the opening of the faire, so the had a Easter egg hunt for the kids. It was wonderful, and gave him a chance to share the holiday with other children. Since he always loved egg hunts, at home I would cook a dozen hard boiled eggs and also hide plastic ones for him to find.

Jean
03-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Marilou, hugging grandchildren and Easter bunny, don't get better then that.. and there is always a new marathon on the horizon .

True indeed!

Just Ducky
03-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Easter memories...
when my mama would take me shopping for our Easter outfits... I would love my pretty new dress and shinny black or white patent slippers ... Easter egg hunt... only real eggs, didn't have plastic eggs back then.. and jelly beans and one chocolate bunny which I always ate the ears first (didn't everyone?) and always the firm warning... "now don't you soil your new dress or next year you won't get a new one." that is what my dad always told me... and as far as I remember I made it thro the day with a clean dress...

marilou
03-23-2014, 04:04 AM
Thanks Ducky & Jean, and I will take some Eastern Eggs with us, made from Belgian Chocolate. We never used plastic eggs, only chocolate eggs and when the weather was good we put them under bushes in the garden, or when it was raining, they were hidden all over the house. On Saturday when the church bells were ringing at 12 am, when they have returned from Rome (that is what the little ones where told) and they dropped the eggs. This was the sign to rush all over the place with their basket, in search for the goodies. Indeed Ducky, eastern bunnies have to be eaten ears first, they fit perfectly in those little mouths :>)
Anyway I will be checking in on you bunch, see you all behave according to Eastern tradition!

Linda4atc
03-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Dehh68, I love that idea with the yarns. and the bonnets sound like fun.
Nancy that is so sweet. The only thing I really remember about my childhood Easters was my mom always boiled up 5 dozen eggs. There were 4 of us kids and we each got to color and decorate a dozen, plus she had extras in case some cracked. Sometimes she would color some herself, other times we would end up eating them while they were still warm. LOL She always made a Ham for Easter dinner. She loved Ham, I like it but I did not have a set Easter dinner, I made what ever sounded good at the time. But I took a recipe from my ex husbands childhood, and started a day after Easter tradition for our family. His mother would make a meatloaf with whole hard boiled eggs in the center. When you sliced it they kind of looked like and eye, so it was called Heres Looking at You Meatloaf.

I also had a cool hide and seek tradition for Christmas. My son loved it so much that when he got older he would remind me to hide the magic elves. If anyone wants to hear more about that let me know...

Jean
03-23-2014, 05:33 PM
I also had a cool hide and seek tradition for Christmas. My son loved it so much that when he got older he would remind me to hide the magic elves. If anyone wants to hear more about that let me know...

But of course we want to hear!!

Jean
03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Loving the memories!

When my sisters and I got older and on our own, it was a challenge to keep up traditions in the same way. So...I was always dreaming up ideas for my classes to make things fun and novel, so one Easter, I got a bunch of those plastic fill-it-yourself eggs and put into them lottery tickets, candy, and and so on. Come Easter Sunday, I hid them all over my parents' backyard and told my sisters THEY had to hunt for the eggs before we did the nephews' egg hunt!!! Well, they were so teased - being grown up women, of course - but I gave them teeny baskets and sent them out. Mom, Dad and the nephews and I had such fun watching them scurry 'round like kids, getting excited when they got their eggs. One egg had cash in it and boy, was that sis pleased!

Jean
03-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Re: Easter outfits. Ducky, when I was a child, the Gulf Coast had genuine winters and springs, unlike the endless summer it has now. I remember one year getting new SPRING coats for Easter - lovely navy coats that looked so nice with our gloves and hats. *s* Oh, and our new handbags, of course!

Linda4atc
03-23-2014, 08:08 PM
I love your egg hunt for sisters. I don't do it every year, but every once in awhile I fill plastic eggs with love notes and hide them around the house for him to find.

When my son was growing up we had magic elves. Each year when the decorations came out, so did the elves. At night when everyone went to sleep the elves would go report back to Santa. In the morning they would be hiding in a new place.

So I had about three weeks of this every year. When my son was old enough to know about Santa I tried to stop it. He insisted it was tradition and would remind me at night or bug me in the morning to hide them if I forgot.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7VIMx1rVc67tS0QB7W8B1KcsbPRY20 5ZVtl7zrj901qeU9rUd One elf was like this, the other also had long thin arms and legs but it had velcro on the hands and feet. The combination worked great for posing them in different places all over the house. Sometimes the looked much like a circus trapeze act hanging from a chandelier, with one elf hanging from the other. But I must admit I was grateful that we moved to a new home when he stared school it gave me new places to hide them. LOL

Linda4atc
03-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Yep, he must have really liked that spot if he always returned after giving his report to Santa.

velcrodog
03-25-2014, 11:22 AM
I have 2 boys, 25 and 16. They still will tell you that they believe in Santa. When Ian, the oldest, first started questioning Santa, I looked him straight in the eye and said, "It's your choice, if you believe in Santa he will keep coming and leaving presents, the minute you tell me you don't believe in him... he stops and no more presents." So, if you ask either one of my kids (as Ian MADE SURE than Zane never EVEN got to the point of asking me if Santa was real) will still tell you, if I am within earshot, that they believe in Santa. And yes, Santa always leaves them something on Christmas morning.

And the best story is the Tooth-Fairy story. I am a bit of a nut, crazy, slightly twisted, a true child of my generation...(ever seen That 70's Show?)
.... I watched Eddie Murphy doing his tooth fairy bit on the show.... a big black man in a tutu sneaking into little girls bedrooms, confronted by a shotgun toting dad.... it made for good comedy, even in those dark SNL years.
.... So when Ian started losing teeth, I told him the tooth fairy was a big black man in a pink tutu. Why should he question it? Santa is a fat man who wears a red suit and comes down your chimney, and the Easter Bunny? So he believed me and took it for granted that I was not lying.
.... My mom & dad were down from Michigan visiting for 3 months one year, as they usually did and Ian lost a tooth. He put it under his pillow and in the morning came running out into the living room with a dollar. My mom has insomnia and was up and sitting on the couch reading. He is yelling about the tooth fairy and she said, "I wondered who that was?"
Ian look surprised and said, "What, Baba?"
Mom answered, "I couldn't sleep last night and I was sitting here on the couch reading and all of a sudden there was this BIG black man in a pink tutu knocking on the sliding glass door [which you can see from the couch] - I let him in and he went into your room, came out a minute later and Thanked me & told me he really appreciated me opening the sliding glass door for him as it was locked."
Ian's mouth dropped open and I swear he 'bout soiled himself and started screaming..."Baba's seen the TOOTH FAIRY!!!!"

....ah, guess you had to be there...

Could not find a video.... transcript here.....

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/81/81pcareer.phtml

Linda4atc
03-25-2014, 11:59 AM
LOL That is so funny. No special tooth fairy tales here. I was into fabric crafts back then and I made a Fairy doll about 17" tall wearing Royal Blue finery and she had a little drawstring purse with a appliqued Tooth on it. Inside was a special little wooden Box to hold all his teeth. She is packed away in storage somewhere, hopefully I find her before I have grandkids ready for the tooth fairy.

As for Santa, I remember we would splash soot from the fireplace around the hearth and then take dads shoes and make footprints in it and walking towards the tree.

Linda4atc
03-25-2014, 12:08 PM
I was sharing some of the memories here with my husband and he shared his Easter memories.

Dying eggs...
He came from an artistic family. He said he did not feel up to par when it came to decorating eggs, so after playing with a couple eggs he usually just left it to the others.

The Hunt...
his home was filled with all kinds of art pieces. His family did not hide the lovely Easter eggs. They would each take a room of the house and a bag of Jelly beans. They would hide the jellybeans all over the place in plain site but camouflaged to blend in with background. Then as a group they would go from room to room and hunt for them. He said it was a lot of fun.

Lorali
03-26-2014, 07:43 PM
well, sadly, i don't have the money to get stamp or afford labels :( wahhhh
You could type an ATC "label" in word or whatever, copy it and put however many fit on your 8.5x11" page, print it on regular copy paper and glue them to the backs of your atcs. I have done this, but don't always take the time to cut and glue them on. Easy to sign, date, & glue, if they are pre-cut.

Lorali
03-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Thank you! Perfect idea, have to move it to traded board anyway....

BekaH
03-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Hey I've been receiving some awesome cards from the St. Patty's Day A-thon, and since I haven't posted here in awhile, I just wanted to say THANKS to all for the awesome art :)

Tamrantula
03-28-2014, 03:11 AM
Oooh--I haven't been able to participate in an Athon for what feels like AGES! lol

Home from work on L&I, waiting on back surgery to be approved. IF all works out, I hope to be able to play along!

Jean
03-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Well, I sure hope everything goes well for you and that you get to play! And if you can't art along, pop in and keep us company!

smallgirl
03-28-2014, 08:54 PM
I have 2 boys, 25 and 16. They still will tell you that they believe in Santa. When Ian, the oldest, first started questioning Santa, I looked him straight in the eye and said, "It's your choice, if you believe in Santa he will keep coming and leaving presents, the minute you tell me you don't believe in him... he stops and no more presents." So, if you ask either one of my kids (as Ian MADE SURE than Zane never EVEN got to the point of asking me if Santa was real) will still tell you, if I am within earshot, that they believe in Santa. And yes, Santa always leaves them something on Christmas morning

OMG that is so funny! I am 25 and also believe in Santa for the almost the same reason. Every year since I could read, along with my presents or a few days before, I get a beautiful illustrated letter with comics, handmade stamps from the North Pole in a decorated envie (as I type I realize this is the first mail art I have received). In the letter, Santa always tells me how proud he is of my achievements over the year and how loved I am, as well as slipping in hilarious stories about life in the North Pole; it is really quite wonderful. Anyways, once when I was in my teens I cheekily asked my parents why Santa makes all the same terrible spelling mistakes as Dad...then Dad said that if I criticized Santa's spelling ever again, Santa's feelings would be hurt and he wouldn't want to write me letters or draw me comics anymore. I've kept every letter Santa has ever sent me!

Linda4atc
03-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Ohhh Smallgirl that is such an amazing treasure! I love it. I have a book that I wrote letters to my son every year. Unfortunately with my divorce and my life changing so much I misplaced the book for a few years. I did write some letters on paper to add to the book but since his teens I have not been very good and remembering to write.

Donnacr
03-30-2014, 11:56 AM
My husband started the tradition of the Christmas HUNT - initially to keep our children semi-quiet and out of our bedroom for a little longer on Christmas morning. They each have a Santa sack with presents, hidden in different places for them to find.
My children are now 30, 27 and 24 and the ELDEST has demanded that the hunt continue. In the last couple of years we have had clues that built into a treasure map, a Christmas carol karaoke & a Christmas trivial pursuit. My husband always complains about creating the hunt but he never STARTS preparing it until midnight Christmas Eve/morning - forward planning is NOT his strong point :wacko:
If you ask my children if Santa exists in July - you can get any answer, if you ask them if Santa exists after Dec 1st - 'Of course he does!!!!' (otherwise, no hunt :D)

I love all the different traditions that families have around these special occasions.

Jean
03-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Watch for the official thread tomorrow or later tonight. We'll start at midnight Indonesia time, and Donnacr will let us know! Whoopie!

sniisk
03-31-2014, 03:04 AM
It's wonderful to see people sharing their memories etc. Just saying here that I will be very quiet here until Easter. I have lot to do and all the pains and so on keep me busy too. But don't worry, the official thread will be open before you can start :).

Linda4atc
03-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Ohh Sana. sending healing hugs and hopes for less pain.

Jean
03-31-2014, 02:25 PM
Oh, Sanna...you are in my prayers for healing and happiness...hugs your way...

KESagers
03-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Thinking of you Sanna!

sniisk
04-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Thank you Linda, Jean and Kristin. I hope to know more in a week and will give an update then.

miloccpep
04-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Keep Well Sanna! Hugs to you!

Donnacr
04-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Just managed to catch up with this thread. sniisk - hoping that all the news is good news. Big hug!

BekaH
04-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm still here... Can someone just please let me know when the official thread is posted? I hope I will feel like playing...

Linda4atc
04-09-2014, 10:40 PM
I will lurk, chat and am willing to trade stuff I already made I think I need to put my efforts elsewhere for awhile. I have totally submerged myself in the last two a-thons. And there is so much that needs doing around here....

sniisk
04-09-2014, 11:59 PM
The official thread won't be here until one day before first people can start. And there is a reason but I won't tell it yet.

BekaH
04-11-2014, 10:41 PM
okie dokes, just if i don't hop in, someone send me a message to let me know!

jonquil
04-12-2014, 03:32 AM
So sorry I will miss this - but Japan wins out!!!!! will try and take a peek if I can

Cathy1
04-12-2014, 06:01 AM
I really envy you Jonquil - Japan - super exciting

Linda4atc
04-12-2014, 04:27 PM
WOW have a great time jonquil. My son dreams of going to Japan some day. I love to travel, and I would love to see it but am much more comfortable traveling to countries or in the small very touristy areas where English is spoken. I have a kind of phobia of something going really wrong and me being a place that I could not communicate. But I have been lucky enough to go to Australia, England, Tijuana and Ensenada, Mexico.

Cathy1
04-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Linda, you should come to the AFA meet in New Zealand this October. We speak English here LOL and we would love to see you.

jonquil
04-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Linda - we are going as a school trip so our Japanese teacher speaks both - plus we have tour guides who speak English - I did learn Japanese in Year 7 at high school (but that was in 1976 so I don't remember a great deal!!!!) - have been told there is one arty shop that I could spend the whole day in and still not see it all!!!

theweavershand
04-12-2014, 07:59 PM
hoping to join in.

Linda4atc
04-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Linda, you should come to the AFA meet in New Zealand this October. We speak English here LOL and we would love to see you.

LOL You are sweet, I would love to come. Unfortunately in these hard times I feel guilty even making trips to see my son in southern CA. My dear husband earns all the money, used to be able to travel often. Now he always puts my family visits above his own. And family comes before friends and art visits at least for the time being.

Linda - we are going as a school trip so our Japanese teacher speaks both - plus we have tour guides who speak English - I did learn Japanese in Year 7 at high school (but that was in 1976 so I don't remember a great deal!!!!) - have been told there is one arty shop that I could spend the whole day in and still not see it all!!!

That sounds Cool. I think I could handle something like that. My trips over seas were done as business trips with my ex. My trips to Ensenada was on a short cruise out of Southern CA that is actually cheaper than paying for food and lodging for the same number of days in a motel.

Spoiltpup
04-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Coming late to the convo. Linda, what cruise line did you take and what year to Ensenada?

Jonquil, my husband is from New Zealand. It is such a lovely country, I'm jealous about the ATC event being held there. Still hoping to get to Australia some day. :)

sharlene54
04-13-2014, 07:42 PM
I also have a spreadsheet. The card #, the post #, who the trade is with or possible trade! when it gets mailed and ITraders. It works for me because I simply can't remember much these days.

I hope to join.

HiddenTreasure2010
04-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Cool I'll be there....."yeah' some sunshine....loving it!

velcrodog
04-13-2014, 09:49 PM
I wish I could be at this athon... maybe I can catch the very end of it.

I wish Jonquil and I could trade trips.... ya wanna jonquil?

Sanna, my best to you.... not sure what's happening but I pray that it is something very minor..

got quite a few trades going out tomorrow ... but still have a bunch to get out.... I am going to try my best to get them out while I am in Tennessee.... We really don't do a lot. I am going to try my hand at arting a little instead of reading. Miss you guys, I will have my phone and computer, but I don't know if I will be able to use it there....it's not like I can go to somewhere there is wi-fi....

Later y'all I hate missing this next athon. I will be here for ONE day. the very last one. If you don't hear from me you know I'm in a straight-jacket!!!!! lol

Later....

Jean
04-13-2014, 10:14 PM
We'll miss you, Vdog, but will smile when you come to mind. Hope your trip goes about a thousand percent better than you think it will.

Psst, y'all...Vdog won't be here so you know what that means...SHE's the topic of conversation!!! ;)

Kimmie
04-13-2014, 10:19 PM
I'll be away for this ATHON, too! Out of town, and probably no time to art. :( I wish everyone participating the very best!

I DID, however, get mused-cranked today and made 11 Halloween/creepy ATCs and some Halloween inchies, plus prepped a BUNCH more inchies... my muse gets confused. Here it is, almost Easter, and I'm doing vintage Halloween! ????????

Tamrantula
04-13-2014, 10:34 PM
By the time this rolls around, most likely I won't have an art room anymore, for the foreseeable future anyway. (A friend is probably moving in this week, as he losing his place--and my art room will become his bedroom!)

I had so much fun last week in the athon, that I don't want to miss out.

Debating trying to spend some time in the next few days, making backgrounds...then, I will at least have the option to try to do some art during the athon, if it works out.

hmmm. :biglaugh:

Just Ducky
04-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Easter... baby bunnies ... oh, baby ducks ???? all the cutie stuff for Easter... yikes cuteness dripping chocolate everywhere...

smallgirl
04-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Spent some time this weekend collecting together my Easter and spring images, so I hope to be organized enough to play this weekend!

D-dazzled71
04-14-2014, 01:25 AM
I haven't played in an Athon in what seems like years......will hopefully have time this weekend to play.....fingers crossed.

sniisk
04-14-2014, 04:23 AM
I can promise that I don't have any Easter images. Sorry. My art supply collection is very limited at the moment. But I'll create what I can.

sniisk
04-14-2014, 04:29 AM
If you want to suggest themes for this a-thon, feel free to do it. I have some ideas but not for 5 days :).

Lorali
04-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Maybe we should extend this athon a day or two for all that are out of town???? How about a purple, beach, rabbit themes?

Jean
04-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Extensions work for me, lol. Not sure how much trading I'll be able to do, but I'm always up for leisurely trades (that wait for my muse and postage budget to recover, lol).

I will likely not do Easter, but springtime as I don't have images and so on to attach. So for themes....I can think of
Springtime
Pastel (light) colors
Botanical style
Kittens and Puppies
Birds and nests

Can't think of more right now...

Just Ducky
04-14-2014, 11:49 PM
ahh... haaaa... there you are Dehh... and glad to hear ya doing better and you know you just gotta come play this Easter thon with us...

V :dog: .... ya know we going to miss you these next days... hope you can rig up a internet signal and pop by to keep these "other" gals moving in a straight line... :wubclub:

Jean... like your idea list... so at least now I have a list of what to look around for...
I do have a small bunny punch so that is one... now got to dig around some more... and yikes it's getting close... I better start digging faster... takes me a week just to find background papers...:confused:

missxkay
04-15-2014, 01:26 AM
I'll be here for part of the A-Thon, but Friday evening/Saturday I'm doing wedding planning stuff with my brother's fiancee. I had so much fun with the April Fools that I can't wait for this one. Yay

Mouseit
04-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Coming late to the convo. Linda, what cruise line did you take and what year to Ensenada?

Jonquil, my husband is from New Zealand. It is such a lovely country, I'm jealous about the ATC event being held there. Still hoping to get to Australia some day. :)

Spoiltpup, well 2015 AFA downunder will be in Australia...LOL Just drumming up business before time.....

Mouseit
04-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Easter Memories for me - As I came from a HUGE 8 kid family my Mum and Dad used to always buy us 2 Easter eggs only, one in a MUG and one in an EGG CUP....and that was how they used to keep mugs and egg cups in the cupboard...LOL

OHHH And No sorry folks no cards from this athon for me, I am at the Farm for 4 days enjoying the peace and quiet.....

Evalila
04-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the Heads-up, Sanna :) Iīve already been a silent lurker. I hope to play - got me some new "toys" at an art and craft fair last month.

mrubyjean
04-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Yes, thanks, Sanna...I've been lurking too.
Hoping to play but time is tight for me this weekend.

Evalila
04-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Maybe I should try to get my workspace in order - all my supplies are spread over two rooms. I was searching for my box with Spring/Easter stuff - and all I found was my Christmas stuff :err: But hey, itīs never too early to start making your X-Mas cards, isnīt it?????? :biglaugh:

sunriseiz
04-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Ditto here Sanna. I am hoping to play, but we have a lot going on this weekend, so it will be iffy. My fingers are crossed however!

Theme-wise, I don't know if anyone suggested flowers (lilies, tulips) or landscapes. I always think of those along with traditional Easter themes.

Jewels
04-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Hoping to play. We'll have to see. Relatives coming.

katcouch
04-15-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm in someone be sure to point out the official thread when it is up or I will miss it!

inkyfingers
04-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I hope to play, need to get myself organized this time! My workspace looks like a tornado hit it!

katcouch
04-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Me too. I have a ton of magazines I have to go through snipping images from. I mean a ton ha ha I got like 3 decades of national geographic for free!

sniisk
04-15-2014, 12:02 PM
I will post the link to the official thread here so you all will find it.

Trudy
04-15-2014, 06:40 PM
I numbered mine, too, and my "spreadsheet" was a composition notebook with my info and who I traded with and for what. I also put all my address there. It's not the best but definitely worked better than what I did for the Valentine's ATHON!! lol, which was index cards!!! :err: Never again!
Sounds like we have the same method. It's low tech, but idiot proof;)

Mouseit
04-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Mouseit....farm? Peace and quiet? Envious!

Yeah I love it and I hate it..LOL Hate going there away from my toys but when I get there I love it!

Janjo33
04-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Maybe I will be inspired to upload some art!

sniisk
04-16-2014, 01:58 AM
The official thread is open here:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28611