PDA

View Full Version : April Fool's Inchie/ATART Madness Apr 1-7

Jean
03-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Whoohoo!

Donnacr has graciously offered to host a thon for us running from April 1-7 - a long time so more folks can play! I'll be cohosting.

It's an Inchie ATART - which means an All-Types-of-Art-athon, with a special invitation for inchie fans to strut their stuff!

Mark it on your calendar, and subscribe to this thread so you won't forget!

Who's up for Artsy April Foolery? ;)

lindalee
03-22-2014, 01:29 PM
I am! Just got 3 more boxes of matboard inchies. 72 in each box...we'll see how many I go through?

Kynara
03-22-2014, 01:38 PM
I'll be lurking... dunno if I'll be caught up enough to play along, but I'd love to be doing some inchies!!

Just Ducky
03-22-2014, 02:56 PM
love inchies... but... where do all you gals find tiny images ??? I just received 6 inchies from our V:dog: from the St.Pat a-thon and man they are great BUT... again where you find these tiny images....
HELP...

fantasy firebird
03-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Hi honey I'm home!! Will attempt to make some inchies, not the greatest inchie artist but i will see how things go!

Jean
03-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Hi honey I'm home!! Will attempt to make some inchies, not the greatest inchie artist but i will see how things go!

Oh, Kay! How wonderful to have you back amongst us! :jiggy: But listen - it's an inchie atart, so inchies, twinchies, atcs, 4x4s, postcards, journal pages, charms ... as long as it's art, make it and show it off!

Jean
03-22-2014, 06:11 PM
love inchies... but... where do all you gals find tiny images ??? I just received 6 inchies from our V:dog: from the St.Pat a-thon and man they are great BUT... again where you find these tiny images....
HELP...

I think...and I don't know how to do this...but when I upload a photo, I see that in the edit listings you can resize it.

And I think there are programs called resizers...don't know what they are, but maybe a puter savvy artist can help??

Jean
03-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Three boxes of 72?? I want to see you go through them ALL, Lindalee!

And as for you, Kynara, whether you just keep us company or art along with us, we'll be happy to have you!

Kimmie
03-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Ok, peeps....don't laugh....this is the honest truth - I ordered 8 freakin' boxes of precut inchies just this morning. Yes, I have a punch to use, but I have some ideas for those little pieces of art and wanted to try the precut ones. I just hope I get them in time to use them for the ATART.

**I just received my order confirmation....I didn't order 8....I ordered 12 BOXES!! Can anyone spell "self-control"??? LMAO

grrrdjules
03-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Holy cow, I see many inchies in your future!

Jean
03-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Where do you buy precut inchies? What media can you use on them?

KatieV
03-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Yayayay! INCHIES! I can't get enough of them :)

Just Ducky
03-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Decals.... was this a typing error ??? you did say 12 BOXES ??? of blank inchies ????

I think I am just gonna sit back and watch Decals and LindaLee have a inches marathon stand off... :confused::wubclub: :notworthy:
gooooo Linda.... gooooo Kim...

Kynara
03-23-2014, 03:50 AM
HELP...

you can resize images in "paint" or "adobe". (those are the only two I'm familiar with)

I typically use magazine images... with random words cut from magazines. (or draw it) :)

lindalee
03-23-2014, 10:18 AM
QUOTE=Jean;1548930]Where do you buy precut inchies? What media can you use on them?[/QUOTE]

I like the mat board formats for atcs and inchies...like the feel of them. I get my mat board inchies from:

http://www.ellenhutson.com/servlet/StoreFront

She has LOTS of cool stuff!

Donnacr
03-23-2014, 10:25 AM
ducky - I am computer challenged but I resize all my stuff in Word. As long as it is an image I have bought or scanned and then copied into Word - I can resize it to anything I want.

I am so looking forward to Inchie fun. I would like to have some challenges (or Muse prompters) for each day - do people have any suggestions? All will be gratefully accepted.

I know that by the 3rd or 4th Day of an Athon I am so far behind on themes that I spend the rest of the Athon playing catch up but it gives my Muse a starting point (and she is very slow on her own :yes::err:)

HHC
03-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Okay, I'm subscribing. We'll see if I can get an inchie or two done. I owe our local ATC group folks some inches and Twinchies...
Are Twinchies allowed in this a-thon too, or just inchies?

Jean
03-23-2014, 12:05 PM
QUOTE=Jean;1548930]Where do you buy precut inchies? What media can you use on them?

I like the mat board formats for atcs and inchies...like the feel of them. I get my mat board inchies from:

http://www.ellenhutson.com/servlet/StoreFront

She has LOTS of cool stuff![/QUOTE]

BAD Lindalee! Lord that place...I could spend a fortune there! I won't be spending money there but I just spent an hour and a bit drooling...

Donnacr
03-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Inchies are the main point but if your Muse 'forces' you to make Twinchies, Moos, Bookmarks or anything else it is still welcome.

it will be nice to have you visit HHC - even if only to show us what you will be giving to other people :sad:

lindalee
03-23-2014, 12:46 PM
. I would like to have some challenges (or Muse prompters) for each day - do people have any suggestions? )

How about a "word" day? Playing with one word or even one letter?
Monochrome day? Art made within a single (artist's choice) hue?

Donnacr
03-23-2014, 12:51 PM
I had thought of the colour themes but I hadn't thought of using words - thanks lindalee.
Any more suggestions? we have 7 days to fill and I like to have an 'either/or' for every day.

Jean
03-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Helen, it's an inchie ATART, so while some of us will work on inchies primarily, any art is A-OK. I plan to make inchies, atcs, and maybe some inchie houses.

Since we're talking about challenges, here's one: we probably all have AFA friends who no longer visit the site as much as they used to...let's encourage them to come play with us! Or just come and keep us company and chat with us!

How about a "word" day? Playing with one word or even one letter?
Monochrome day? Art made within a single (artist's choice) hue?
I love these! They're nice and broad...

Jean
03-23-2014, 01:02 PM
I like easy themes like these...
Flora/Fauna day...cards containing either plants or animals
Trees with or without leaves
Faces
Dwellings - houses, fairy houses, whatever
Summertime
Hearts
Weather
Birds (April 8 is Draw a Bird day)
Fish
Coffee/tea

Not suggesting we do these, but just to say that I often look at themes and think...'too hard!' and just go my own way, and I know it's ok to do that but broad themes are more inviting to me personally.

tammybeck
03-23-2014, 03:36 PM
i should like to play!

craftyvox
03-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Sounds like fun:) Subbing so I get updates from the thread!

Kimmie
03-23-2014, 05:32 PM
tammybeck, I wondered if you would find this...was going to contact you, just in case.

I ordered some Cresent inchies to try...thin ones and medium ones...I figured I would use the thin ones for drawing and the medium ones for mixed media. I've never done inchies in mixed media, but have a few ideas. Or maybe collage style.

I am also gonna try to make inchie books with a theme.
I ordered so many because I want to do a wall art piece of all different inchies.
Just thinking aloud... :)

Jean
03-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Welcome to all! Glad y'all found us!

Now these inchie books...how do you bind them?

Kimmie
03-23-2014, 07:01 PM
As best as I can tell from a photo, after you draw/collage your inches, you would glue two back to back. Looks like they used a 1/8" hole punch, marked and punched the holes equally on them, used the larger jump rings for a binder, and crimped them on. Makes the cutest little two-ringed book! I have GOT to try one! or two! or three!

here's where I saw this - this lady is so talented! I love her stuff!

http://www.oopsicraftmypants.com/2010/04/another-teeny-inchies-book.html

lindalee
03-23-2014, 09:05 PM
BAD Lindalee! Lord that place...I could spend a fortune there! I won't be spending money there but I just spent an hour and a bit drooling...

LOL! If you get on her mailing list, she sends out code numbers for discounts. This month it is 20% off, which makes a HUGE difference! Check it out...it was in her March newsletter and good for the whole month for a one time purchase.

Also, how does trading go? I see people put up a whole page of 20 inchies or so and some post sets of 6. So we just pick and choose and make up a set of 6 to trade for if we have a page of 30 or so to choose from? Or do we just post smaller sets? 2:2 3:3 6:6? Clarity please?

missxkay
03-23-2014, 09:12 PM
I keep meaning to join Inch-a-thons but always manage to forget about it. (oops.)

Subbing to the thread so perhaps I won't forget this time. :)

Jean
03-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Also, how does trading go? I see people put up a whole page of 20 inchies or so and some post sets of 6. So we just pick and choose and make up a set of 6 to trade for if we have a page of 30 or so to choose from? Or do we just post smaller sets? 2:2 3:3 6:6? Clarity please?

It's up to the artist to decide how to trade inchies and between trading partners to decide the terms of the trade. Sometimes I find some inchies that work well together or fit a theme and mark them as a set of 2, 3, 4, or 6. Other times not. Houses I've traded individually.

I've traded inches or houses for moos or other art types as well, arranging with my partner whatever seemed fair to us both. Generally, I've figured the area of art (an inchie is one inch, a moo is about 2, a twinchie four, an ATC is 8.75, a 4x4 is 16) and we've gone from there, keeping in mind the degree of detail in each etc. How you arrange the trade is unimportant; the important thing is that you are both satisfied.

hth!

Jean
03-23-2014, 11:47 PM
I keep meaning to join Inch-a-thons but always manage to forget about it. (oops.)

Subbing to the thread so perhaps I won't forget this time. :)

Hi, Sen! *waving* Welcome! We'll be looking for you when the fun begins!

HHC
03-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Inchies are the main point but if your Muse 'forces' you to make Twinchies, Moos, Bookmarks or anything else it is still welcome.

it will be nice to have you visit HHC - even if only to show us what you will be giving to other people :sad:

Well, I'll be inspired by creating and trading with you all... so I figure I'll ALSO get the ones done for the local folks while I'm at it. If I'm here, I plan to trade. :D

HHC
03-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Oh Jean, I want to make some inchie houses. I have bits and pieces for them cut out from the house a-thon that are asking me to use them. ;)

Jean
03-23-2014, 11:57 PM
As best as I can tell from a photo, after you draw/collage your inches, you would glue two back to back. Looks like they used a 1/8" hole punch, marked and punched the holes equally on them, used the larger jump rings for a binder, and crimped them on. Makes the cutest little two-ringed book! I have GOT to try one! or two! or three!

OMGosh, so do I! I will have to try to make some inchie books...we have jump rings...*eyegleam*

Charlie Brown
03-24-2014, 01:28 PM
I hosted a swap for these a long while back. You might find it in the swap archives - I named them micro books and I listed them under mail art. They were so fun to make. Not sure if I can play, but I'm posting here so that I can lurky loo and be in on the details.

Jean
03-24-2014, 03:26 PM
I hosted a swap for these a long while back. You might find it in the swap archives - I named them micro books and I listed them under mail art. They were so fun to make. Not sure if I can play, but I'm posting here so that I can lurky loo and be in on the details.

Lawd have mercy! Darn, tried to link to the search results w/o luck. Search the gallery for 'inchie book' and check 'exact phrase' at the bottom of the search box...

Or...click here for web search images! (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVxI8hzBTJlYAWldXNyoA?p=inchie+book&fr=chr-greentree_ff&fr2=piv-web)

velcrodog
03-24-2014, 07:03 PM
I just noticed!!! I didn't even know this was going on! Thanks for putting a note at the bottom of your posts Jean!!! That's how I found it! (yes, everyone can blame Jean for me being at this athon)

I got inchies from Neener the first time and she does sets of 6 and uses stamp hinges to put 6 of them on an ATC blank (I will be using paint chip samples from home depot or lowes, cut to ATC size) the stamp hinges are not damaging to the inchies and will come off easily if you need them too. Then I have a binder (with the 9 card page holders) I can put the artists name on the back of the ATC blank and have 54 inchies on one page. That's how I try to send them out now too, safer in the mail.

I will post a picture of my file system.... it was a GREAT find at the thrift store!

I am planning on being in this athon... although I will be teaching a pysanky class all day on that Saturday, so you won't see or hear from me then. Pysanky classes are busy, busy, busy for me and Easter is coming up!

Next question... What the heck is Pysanky? 141491 Yes, that is a real egg. It is a simple one that I sent to Neener. She used to do them.... I learned from my mother, who learned from her mother, who learned from her mother.....all the way back. Passed down from Mother to Daughter for about 2,000 years in the Ukraine.

If my muse forces me to make Pysanky I won't be able to trade them... It will cost me about $6 to mail them in the US, $20 to mail them international... no can do -- sorry..

Am I talking to much???:err: I'll shut up now....

Later!

velcrodog
03-24-2014, 07:05 PM
(stamp hinges are really cheap!)

Kimmie
03-24-2014, 07:13 PM
I just noticed!!! I didn't even know this was going on! Thanks for putting a note at the bottom of your posts Jean!!! That's how I found it! (yes, everyone can blame Jean for me being at this athon)

I got inchies from Neener the first time and she does sets of 6 and uses stamp hinges to put 6 of them on an ATC blank (I will be using paint chip samples from home depot or lowes, cut to ATC size) the stamp hinges are not damaging to the inchies and will come off easily if you need them too. Then I have a binder (with the 9 card page holders) I can put the artists name on the back of the ATC blank and have 54 inchies on one page. That's how I try to send them out now too, safer in the mail.

I will post a picture of my file system.... it was a GREAT find at the thrift store!

I am planning on being in this athon... although I will be teaching a pysanky class all day on that Saturday, so you won't see or hear from me then. Pysanky classes are busy, busy, busy for me and Easter is coming up!

Next question... What the heck is Pysanky? 141491 Yes, that is a real egg. It is a simple one that I sent to Neener. She used to do them.... I learned from my mother, who learned from her mother, who learned from her mother.....all the way back. Passed down from Mother to Daughter for about 2,000 years in the Ukraine.

If my muse forces me to make Pysanky I won't be able to trade them... It will cost me about $6 to mail them in the US, $20 to mail them international... no can do -- sorry..

Am I talking to much???:err: I'll shut up now....

Later!

Ummmm....it would be just as cheap for you to drive up and deliver some to me, huh? (can't blame someone for trying) !!!!! That egg is absolutely stunning!

Kimmie
03-24-2014, 07:18 PM
I mailed my inchies out in a little holder made from an atc card with three rows of FOLDED masking tape around it which makes little "shelves". It actually makes a pocket. Put inchies in, place in sleeve, and mail as a single ATC. (saw this the first time when Robin sent me inchies).
Since I have ATCs, and masking tape ("borrowed" from work), I'll have to premake one of these per set of inchies.
I'm interested in the hinges, V-dog; am going to go walk-about.

HHC
03-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, stamp hinges. I need to go visit our local Coin and Stamp store.

Jean
03-24-2014, 07:21 PM

*bowing as roses are thrown at her feet* But what better use for a signature line than to alert our friends to fun gatherings? *accepting huge bouquet*

Dawg, I'm working on an inchie for you. So far I've tried two designs and discarded them, but I live in hope!

Kimmie
03-24-2014, 07:27 PM
bow wow wow yippee-yo yippee-yay!
I have some little secrets I'm planning/working, too! :)

Jean
03-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Vdog, is there a special brand that is good? I see Dennison on eBay... I usually take cello tape, cover the back to protect the signatures, then cut a piece of tape to stick the inchie to card.

kretakim
03-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Decal_gal, you should be able to find the stamp hinges at Hobby Lobby. They have a stamp collecting section. But, I loved the little tape card holder you sent my inchies in. I was going to "borrow" your idea. I had not thought of stamp hinges.

I want to give this inchie thing atart a try, but I do have one question. I will be away at the end of the athon, can I just play for part of it?

Kynara
03-24-2014, 08:59 PM
I make Inchie mailers with a heat sealer (not sure what it's really called) thingy and 9 pocket pages. I cut a section out with the sealer, trim the middle section of one side out and then seal pockets in it. the inchies fit right in and then it slides into a penny sleeve to hold them in place. I was making them for the people in my inchie swaps, but no one reuses them and I still have to deal with tape and sticky booger thingies (that's what I call them, dunno what they are) that rip the inchies, so I stopped bothering to make the mailers anymore for anyone.

Now when I send inchies out I'll staple a penny sleeve down the middle and slide an inchie in each side. staple to hold the inchie in place (not through the inchie) and slide another in each side. i can fit 6 in a penny sleeve this way. it's not reusable and the person has to cut the penny sleeve to get it out, but at least it won't tear the back of the inchie. and wrapping a piece of paper around the sleeve keeps the staple from poking through the envelope.

I know that's long winded, and it's just my opinion. but man, I really hate tape. after these inchie swaps I'm doing are over, I'll probably stop doing inchie swaps just because I hate sitting there taking forever to remove tape from the back of inchies. :biglaugh: :wubclub:

Jean
03-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Oh Jean, I want to make some inchie houses. I have bits and pieces for them cut out from the house a-thon that are asking me to use them. ;)

You mean, 'Asking me to use them to make Jean inchie houses," don't you? :yes: Oooh, what I said! :policeman:

Jean
03-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Decal_gal, you should be able to find the stamp hinges at Hobby Lobby. They have a stamp collecting section. But, I loved the little tape card holder you sent my inchies in. I was going to "borrow" your idea. I had not thought of stamp hinges.

I want to give this inchie thing atart a try, but I do have one question. I will be away at the end of the athon, can I just play for part of it?

Sure can! We welcome lurkers, chatters, creators, traders, and artists of all media!

Kynara
03-24-2014, 09:06 PM
I made an inchie book years ago, but from a pattern that folded up and then the end result looked like a little book with pages that flipped and you could "attach" the inchies to the page... I made one just to see what it was like, but could never bring myself to glue any inchies to it. LOL

Jean
03-24-2014, 09:07 PM
I make Inchie mailers with a heat sealer (not sure what it's really called) thingy and 9 pocket pages. I cut a section out with the sealer, trim the middle section of one side out and then seal pockets in it. the inchies fit right in and then it slides into a penny sleeve to hold them in place. I was making them for the people in my inchie swaps, but no one reuses them and I still have to deal with tape and sticky booger thingies (that's what I call them, dunno what they are) that rip the inchies, so I stopped bothering to make the mailers anymore for anyone.

Now when I send inchies out I'll staple a penny sleeve down the middle and slide an inchie in each side. staple to hold the inchie in place (not through the inchie) and slide another in each side. i can fit 6 in a penny sleeve this way. it's not reusable and the person has to cut the penny sleeve to get it out, but at least it won't tear the back of the inchie. and wrapping a piece of paper around the sleeve keeps the staple from poking through the envelope.

I know that's long winded, and it's just my opinion. but man, I really hate tape. after these inchie swaps I'm doing are over, I'll probably stop doing inchie swaps just because I hate sitting there taking forever to remove tape from the back of inchies. :biglaugh: :wubclub:

The booger things might be rubber cement (I taught 12-yr-old boys, lol) if it rolls off easily and cleanly. YOu can't leave the rubber cement on the backs of cardstock and images b/c it'll eventually soak through to the front.

The reason I tape the back of the inchie is so that the tape won't damage the writing on the back. If that's not ok, I won't do it anymore...:wubclub:

Kynara
03-24-2014, 09:12 PM
The booger things might be rubber cement (I taught 12-yr-old boys, lol) if it rolls off easily and cleanly. YOu can't leave the rubber cement on the backs of cardstock and images b/c it'll eventually soak through to the front.

The reason I tape the back of the inchie is so that the tape won't damage the writing on the back. If that's not ok, I won't do it anymore...:wubclub:

ooOOooo I never knew what that stuff was.... LOL but it doesn't roll off easily and cleanly. it leaves behind sticky bits of itself. every once in a while it'll come off ok. (and I've had more than one person use it)

taping the back of your inchie sounds like a cool idea! I've never seen that done. :wubclub:

Jean
03-24-2014, 09:15 PM
I mailed my inchies out in a little holder made from an atc card with three rows of FOLDED masking tape around it which makes little "shelves". It actually makes a pocket. Put inchies in, place in sleeve, and mail as a single ATC. (saw this the first time when Robin sent me inchies).
Since I have ATCs, and masking tape ("borrowed" from work), I'll have to premake one of these per set of inchies.

You can use scrap paper (5 inches wide, 3.5 tall) and accordian fold it to make three shelves. Fold to atc size, tape the open end, and voila. Dunno whose idea this was. For sure it wasn't mine! ;)

Here are more ideas from AFA members. (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9261)

Jean
03-24-2014, 09:20 PM
ooOOooo I never knew what that stuff was.... LOL but it doesn't roll off easily and cleanly. it leaves behind sticky bits of itself. every once in a while it'll come off ok. (and I've had more than one person use it)

taping the back of your inchie sounds like a cool idea! I've never seen that done. :wubclub:

Also, and thanks to my Dad, when you tape things, you can fold the last 1/4 inch of tape to make a pull tab. Boy does that make removing the tape easy!

Elmer's makes repositionable glue...that would let you stick the inchies onto a card and remove them like a sticky note. I think I'll make a cardstock inchie and use the glue to see how it holds up for a few days....

missxkay
Is it sticky-tack by any chance? It's typically blue or white and feels a bit like clay or Plasticine. I've had swaps on another site come like that in the past and it's so gross!

Jean

I hear you can simply take paper (5 inches wide by 3.5 tall), fold it (think accordian folds) to make three little 'shelves', tape it shut on one side, and pop the inchies in place before putting it into the penny sleeve.

I also like to reuse old envelopes for inchie holders, cutting off the sides so I have an already-folded/creased paper I can tape to old cardboard. Not pretty, but gets the job done.

Jean
03-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Is it sticky-tack by any chance? It's typically blue or white and feels a bit like clay or Plasticine. I've had swaps on another site come like that in the past and it's so gross!

Yeah, that stuff leaves crumbs. Ugh.

Kimmie
03-24-2014, 09:22 PM
wow, Jean! that sounds pretty easy...will have to try it! :)

Jean
03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
after these inchie swaps I'm doing are over, I'll probably stop doing inchie swaps just because I hate sitting there taking forever to remove tape from the back of inchies. :biglaugh: :wubclub:

WHAT?! OMG! *dropping to knees* Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Say it isn't so, Kynara!!!!!! *collapsing to ground*

Jean
03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
I had thought of the colour themes but I hadn't thought of using words - thanks lindalee.
Any more suggestions? we have 7 days to fill and I like to have an 'either/or' for every day.

We need more themes so Donna will have lots of choices! Anyone got some?

Maybe April Showers??

missxkay
03-24-2014, 10:50 PM
I hear you can simply take paper (5 inches wide by 3.5 tall), fold it (think accordian folds) to make three little 'shelves', tape it shut on one side, and pop the inchies in place before putting it into the penny sleeve.

That sounds like a great idea, I should try that. I've done the masking tape (when I first started), tape shelves (again not a favourite), but lately I have been using a little inchie "envelope" punch that I have which allows me to secure the envelope to a piece of paper/cardstock/etc, and have the inchies secure in their own little envelopes.

Plus it's kind of cute.

Kimmie
03-24-2014, 11:15 PM
April Fool's day.... jesters, maybe? jokers? lol I'm going to bed now.

velcrodog
03-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Okay, I read all about all the other things... WOW! a lot of work to mail inchies... I will stick with the stamp hinges...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKM709Q/ref=oh_details_o06_s01_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On amazon (I have prime, free 2 day shipping) only $10.99 for 2,000 !!!! I have an envelope of 1,000 I am using and another envelope of 1,000 that I don't think I will use... anyone want it for $6 worth of postage? You can get it before the athon even!

If you want it pm me .... as usual, first come - first one gets it.

Jean
03-24-2014, 11:36 PM
That sounds like a great idea, I should try that. I've done the masking tape (when I first started), tape shelves (again not a favourite), but lately I have been using a little inchie "envelope" punch that I have which allows me to secure the envelope to a piece of paper/cardstock/etc, and have the inchies secure in their own little envelopes.

Plus it's kind of cute.

Sen that's what I did for your inchies, which I posted btw in my post in the thread. Doubling it over, and the little flaps not being perfectly flat made it more secure in the sleeve. Bonus! :D

I'll bet that envy thing is adorable!

velcrodog
03-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Oh, I forgot... for the last atart, I sent out two single mass pm's to all the people that I like to trade with. The people that I really like their work and know that they send out wonderful quality art with time and thought put into it. That is one reason we had a bunch of new people. If everyone does that - sending a pm out the day before or the day of the athon, we may get a whole bunch of new people in .... Just send out a pm (it can include as many as 30 people) and invite them to join the athon.... i explain what it is and that it is NO OBLIGATION, and that it is fun.... I will post a copy of a pm closer to the date.... if anyone expresses interest... and we can get a. more wonnerful, wonnerful artists in the athon and, b. more people interested in inchies, and other art!

Kynara
03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
WOW! a lot of work to mail inchies... I will stick with the stamp hinges...

some extra work to save a hostess the trouble of dealing with sticky stuff is worth it. I don't believe in causing others extra work for my benifit. I wont send a hostess anything that would cause them extra work. besides, several of the ideas given are reuseable.

sunriseiz
03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Sen that's what I did for your inchies, which I posted btw in my post in the thread. Doubling it over, and the little flaps not being perfectly flat made it more secure in the sleeve. Bonus! :D

Oh, Jean, I think I need to see that post, but I can't find it. :confused: Can you help me with a link. I had not even thought about how to send them........

sunriseiz
03-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Oh, I forgot... for the last atart, I sent out two single mass pm's to all the people that I like to trade with. The people that I really like their work and know that they send out wonderful quality art with time and thought put into it. That is one reason we had a bunch of new people. If everyone does that - sending a pm out the day before or the day of the athon, we may get a whole bunch of new people in .... Just send out a pm (it can include as many as 30 people) and invite them to join the athon.... i explain what it is and that it is NO OBLIGATION, and that it is fun.... I will post a copy of a pm closer to the date.... if anyone expresses interest... and we can get a. more wonnerful, wonnerful artists in the athon and, b. more people interested in inchies, and other art!

Yup, it works! ;)

Jean
03-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Oh, Jean, I think I need to see that post, but I can't find it. :confused: Can you help me with a link. I had not even thought about how to send them........

Easy peasy!
Take a piece of scrap paper 5x3.5 inchese and make three accordian folds on the wide side to make three 'shelves'. Fold in half, makng it atc size, and tape shut on the cut end. Put the inchies in place, then it goes into the penny sleeve.

I made one and did NOT crease it sharply when I folded it. That made it 'fatter' and when I put it into the sleeve, the fatness of the holder actually SECURED the inchies!!!! I can hold it by the bottom and **shake** the sleeve w/o inchies coming out!

Jean
03-25-2014, 05:01 PM

And if you are in any inchie swaps, trades, groups, etc., let them know too! Membership in AFA is free, so feel free to invite folks in your inchie groups on FB, Yahoogroups, craft groups, etc (if the groups are ok with off-site promo, of course!).

Lorali
03-26-2014, 07:19 PM
I may not make any inches, but I have to visit, so I'm subscribing! :spinny:

Jean
03-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Great! You can keep us company...till the super art lures you into our inchieweb! ;)

sharlene54
03-27-2014, 11:36 AM
I hope to join. I haven't been creating much lately, so maybe a marathon will spark my muse. It needs to be fired up.

Jean
03-27-2014, 01:33 PM
It'll be fun! When the official thread opens, subscribe so you don't miss a thing - your muse is too good to lie down on the job!

sunriseiz
03-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Easy peasy!
Take a piece of scrap paper 5x3.5 inchese and make three accordian folds on the wide side to make three 'shelves'. Fold in half, makng it atc size, and tape shut on the cut end. Put the inchies in place, then it goes into the penny sleeve.

I made one and did NOT crease it sharply when I folded it. That made it 'fatter' and when I put it into the sleeve, the fatness of the holder actually SECURED the inchies!!!! I can hold it by the bottom and **shake** the sleeve w/o inchies coming out!

Thanks. I think I'll have to try it...my brain can't quite picture it, lol!

Kimmie
03-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Ok....received ALL the inchie goodie stuff I've ordered.....opened....laid out....planning....thinking.... and then that ol' ever popular WORK broke loose! :( Figures.
Hopefully I'll get to participate randomly! Doggone it!

(thankful to have a job, but anything that interferes with my art gets me disgruntled)

Jean
03-28-2014, 07:57 PM
I made one and when I get my camera back in my hands, I'll upload pics so you can see what I did. Basically, I cut our paper about 2.5 inches by 4 inches and then lined an inchie on the top (wide) side, then brought the paper up to make a 'shelf' and creased it. Then I lined an inchie with the top of the 'shelf' and brought the paper up to make shelf 2 and creased it. Then I lined my inchie with top of shelf 2, brought paper up to make shelf 3 and creased it. Then I folded the wide side in half so it woud fit into a penny sleeve. It's easier to do than to explain, lol.

HHC
03-28-2014, 08:39 PM
:confused: LOL! I'll see if I can figure it out.

I'm working on some large background sheets that will eventually be cut into ATC, twinchie and inchie sizes. Maybe some moos too, depending on the leftover bits.

Cheeka
03-29-2014, 03:11 AM
I thought this started this weekend, so I am early! I will work on these inchie "holders" I had not thought about how to mail them securely...sigh.

Kimmie
03-29-2014, 07:11 AM
you know?.... I have received some that were loose in a sleeve that was top-folded and stapled. and once, they were in a mini-zip baggie. That was fine with me. They were protected. They had no sticky residue. It was totally cool with me.

Kynara
03-29-2014, 01:03 PM
you know?.... I have received some that were loose in a sleeve that was top-folded and stapled. and once, they were in a mini-zip baggie. That was fine with me. They were protected. They had no sticky residue. It was totally cool with me.

the only problem with this, is it can cause a lump in the envelope that can snag in the postal machines.

if there's only a few (like a personal trade) it's no big, but if someone is sending 9+ for a swap, that can be a problem.

boatbird
03-29-2014, 01:20 PM
stick 6 in an atc sleeve with staples between them all, place said sleeve in a folded piece of paper or card...

that was Sir Pixeldogs way of it anyhoo! Worked well... and you can get 2 of them side by side in a normal sized card and envie so thats 12 inchies in a oner!

I bought an inchie punch actually. Guess I might have to crack it out and get arting!

If you dont hear from me, assume that the cork tile removal project from our bathroom floor has gone awry and send search party on FB x

Kynara
03-29-2014, 01:27 PM
WHAT?! OMG! *dropping to knees* Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Say it isn't so, Kynara!!!!!! *collapsing to ground*

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Cheeka
03-29-2014, 02:46 PM
LOL - I just never thought about it!

Linda4atc
03-29-2014, 04:01 PM

Yes I have done a few Inchie books, by gluing two inchies back to back and binding with two jump rings. It is better to mail the hole punched inchies and jump rings separately if the recipient doesn't mind putting the book together. It is flatter in the envelope that way. I normally do 3 or 4 pages (6 or 8 inchies) in a book. Sometimes the front (and back) are a bit different to be the covers. http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/259/small/1_Little_people_3-2014_.jpg this is from the last atart and is still available, As Is or I can make into a book.

Also, how does trading go? I see people put up a whole page of 20 inchies or so and some post sets of 6. So we just pick and choose and make up a set of 6 to trade for if we have a page of 30 or so to choose from? Or do we just post smaller sets? 2:2 3:3 6:6? Clarity please? I make most of my inchies in sets of 3, 4 or 6. but occasionally especially if doing collage I may have some solo inchies. But I would not like to trade for less than three in a trade. One if I am also trading for an atc or something would work too.

I have never used and of the booger, tacky or rubber cement stuff. I have used almost all of the other shelf and sleeve methods mentioned. I may have used some Washi tape last time but I found it does tear the back. I LOVE jeans idea of giving the back a nice plastic protection with packing tape.

We need more themes so Donna will have lots of choices! Anyone got some?

Maybe April Showers??

I remember doing a bunch of black silhouettes on bright painted backgrounds that traded really fast!

stick 6 in an atc sleeve with staples between them all, place said sleeve in a folded piece of paper or card...

If you dont hear from me, assume that the cork tile removal project from our bathroom floor has gone awry and send search party on FB x

That is most likely what I'll do this time. I used to have my atc collection all in penny sleeves in boxes. I have been putting them into 9-pocket pages and not using very many of the penny sleeves so I have a bunch of slightly used ones here. Good Luck with that bathroom.

theweavershand
03-30-2014, 12:46 AM
lurking in the shadows and watching the show. i can never seem to get anything done for these anymore.

let the inchie war...begin!

Trudy
03-30-2014, 06:46 AM
~~Thanks VelcroDog for telling me about this athon. Now where did I put that one inch punch?

Trudy
03-30-2014, 07:27 AM
oh nooooo! I made the mistake of searching Amazon for inchies. I was only looking for a bit of inspiration.... and there were all these lovely supplies ..... I tried to be strong ...... I really did ..... apparently I'm not very strong ....... I'd already told hubby that April would be a low craft month. I am going to blame all you girls ;) You shouldn't be so welcoming:) Trudy

mayaquilt
03-30-2014, 07:41 AM
A long time ago I made some fabric inchies for a swap ... and I love the idea of an inchie book ... or an inchie quilt ;) look here: http://dreamweavers-quilts.com/downloads/inchie-quilts.pdf ... I'm drooling :wideeyed:

Kimmie
03-30-2014, 08:01 AM
the only problem with this, is it can cause a lump in the envelope that can snag in the postal machines.

if there's only a few (like a personal trade) it's no big, but if someone is sending 9+ for a swap, that can be a problem.

good point! I think I'll be trying the "staple between them" thing this go 'round!
I just hope I'll be able to make and trade for SEVERAL of them as I want to do a wall art project with them!

Kimmie
03-30-2014, 08:04 AM
mayaquilt! That is just beautiful! I know how difficult those tiny things are to draw/paint/collage - can't even imagine trying to SEW them! :nah: :swoon: lol

Kimmie
03-30-2014, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=Linda4atc;1552073]
I remember doing a bunch of black silhouettes on bright painted backgrounds that traded really fast!
QUOTE]

This idea sounds beautiful! What in the world would I silhouette? Will have to think on this one! oh oh.... something is coming to my head! Great suggestion, Linda!

AnitaM
03-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Not sure if you can see these but we made some here quite a few years ago - colours of the rainbow and I made these with fabric and the tiniest beads.

Donnacr
03-30-2014, 11:20 AM
I have just gone back over the thread and written down all the suggestions everyone made for themes (thanks!)- I will start the official thread tomorrow.
Suggestions are always welcome and normally acted upon - off to bed now.

velcrodog
03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Do we all get to start and end at the same time again?????!!!!!

Linda4atc
03-30-2014, 11:47 AM
LOL I hope so VDog. But I have two strikes against me already. I have a UTIso I have to get in to see the doctor. And I still have commitments I have to get done.

But yesterday since I was jumping up to run the the bathroom every five minutes my muse would not cooperate. I ended up making a whole sheet of animal images reduced down to inchie size, then I sat here and carefully cut them all out.

mayaquilt the inchies on that link are lovely, as are the ones you do. I think I have some pretty blue inchies you made. I have just never been able to do really good satin stitching so I don't think if I made them the edges would be so nice.

Donnacr
03-30-2014, 12:04 PM
I couldn't resist looking in just one last time - probably because I heard v:dog: yelling all the way over in Indonesia.

Yes, we all start together which means that you have just 24 hours to wait - as it is just passed midnight on Monday morning for me.
Oops, that means I better hurry up with that official thread - bed first (so that the brain works) then thread. Goodnight again.

v:dog: - no more yelling, please!

Jean
03-30-2014, 01:33 PM
I made one and when I get my camera back in my hands, I'll upload pics so you can see what I did. Basically, I cut our paper about 2.5 inches by 4 inches and then lined an inchie on the top (wide) side, then brought the paper up to make a 'shelf' and creased it. Then I lined an inchie with the top of the 'shelf' and brought the paper up to make shelf 2 and creased it. Then I lined my inchie with top of shelf 2, brought paper up to make shelf 3 and creased it. Then I folded the wide side in half so it woud fit into a penny sleeve. It's easier to do than to explain, lol.

Hopefully, a pic is worth a thousand words! You can see the crease where I fold it in half to fit into a sleeve. Meant to put this up a couple of days ago, sorry for the delay, but here it is IN TIME FOR THE THON!!!!!

Kynara
03-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Hopefully, a pic is worth a thousand words! You can see the crease where I fold it in half to fit into a sleeve. Meant to put this up a couple of days ago, sorry for the delay, but here it is IN TIME FOR THE THON!!!!!

I love that idea! thanks for the pics!

Jean
03-30-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm super interested in doing this, but as a new member, I'm a bit unclear as to how all of this works......any help?? :)

Help is on the way!

1. ATART: all kinds of art. If you see it on AFA (check mail art galleries for scrumptious inspiration!), you can make it in an ATART!

2. Inchie: 1-inch squares. This is an inchie ATART so we'll see lots of these mini-masterpieces.

3. Thon: we get together and make as much art as we can, giving our circumstances, post it here and in our galleries (in the Athon section), and trade, trade, trade!

4. Trading: When your card is no longer available, please indicate it in your post and, if it's in your athon gallery, move it to traded mail art.

5. Organization: Some members number their artworks when they post them, so members trade for #6 instead of 'Pink Poppies" (Note that trading can be fast and frenzied!). Some members get a whack of envelopes and put cards into envelopes as they are traded. Some members put the name of the person claiming the card on the reverse. Some put the name in the upload, where it asks if available. Some keep notebooks, with columns for card, trade to, traded for, mailed-on date, trade received. Up to you!

Did you have a specific question?

Jean
03-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I love that idea! thanks for the pics!

And remember, fold in half LOOSELY so that the holder will want to unfold...that will make it tight in the sleeve, which, in the one I just mailed out, held the inchies firmly in place so they didn't even fall out.

mayaquilt
03-30-2014, 04:21 PM
An example what I made with fabric inchies...

Jean
03-30-2014, 05:01 PM
An example what I made with fabric inchies...

these are great!

Bubblecup
03-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Memememe!! I'm away next weekend, but until then I'm in. I've got a bunch of inchies partially completed, this will be a good time to finish them up! Woo!

Bubblecup
03-30-2014, 08:08 PM
I am! Just got 3 more boxes of matboard inchies. 72 in each box...we'll see how many I go through?

Ooooo, where do you order these? :D

Kimmie
03-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Bubblecup, go to post #15 on page one of this thread....the link is there! :)

Donnacr
03-31-2014, 02:02 AM
The official thread is now open (see link in my signature) and there are only 6 hours before we can start!! woo hoo!!! :jiggy::jiggy:

Bubblecup
03-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Couple of things:

You buys really need to stop posting links to sites with amazing supplies; you're costing me money! Whe hubby cranks, I'm sending him here. hah

And, for mailing inchies. As both a trader and a swap host, I highly prefer to use the penny sleeve with stapes to divide method. It's fast, cheap, does a great job, and it's easy to open, you just cut down each side and the inchies slide out. No fidgeting with holders, glue, tape, etc. and, who has the time to make a bunch of inchie holders? That cuts into creative time.

AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!!