PDA

View Full Version : Don't break a USA Federal Law....

Carole Cadek
05-26-2014, 03:33 PM
WARNING!

Once a postage stamp has been used, it is a federal crime to:

1. Remove, attempt to remove, or assist to remove cancellation marks from postage.
2. Reuse a stamp whether cancelled or not.

If you have questions concerning the reuse of postage, please contact your local Postal Inspector.

Title 18, U.S. Code, Sections 471 and 1720

Poster 5 July 2005
PSN 7690-03-000-9182
__________________________________________________ _____________

Please don't send used uncanceled stamps to swap hosts.
Since they can't use them to send you your returns.

robcrusade
05-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Up to one year in prison if you get caught...and with the amount of stamps we all use...that's a good chance!!

DmyTLadybug
05-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Up to a year in prison if you take a stamp off a letter that's been mailed to you but wasn't postmarked??? Wow.

Bag123
05-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Not for taking a stamp off a letter, but for using the stamp to mail something else. What people will try to do is put tape over a stamp when they mail a letter, so the cancelation marks will be on the tape. Then they remove the tape and try to reuse to the stamp to mail a second letter. Post office looks closely for letters that have tape over the stamps.

robcrusade
05-31-2014, 11:56 AM
Some stamps don't even have cancellation marks anymore, but they look at them under UV light for signs that the stamp has been used before.

And as for the ones printed at the kiosk, they don't need cancellation, all the info they need is in the QR code on it.

adifferentstory
06-01-2014, 02:49 AM
It's also ilegal in the UK. I would imagine it's the same for all countries.

DmyTLadybug
06-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Wow, learning some new stuff. I won't use a stamp even if it looks like it wasn't postmarked.

nightowl_too
06-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Use it for collage art instead. :)

Mushu
06-07-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm safe. I only use them for art.

Della
06-07-2014, 03:30 PM
me too! :)

Donnacr
06-09-2014, 03:25 AM
I really like getting ones that have not been franked/cancelled as they look FANTASTIC on cards! But I don't like getting stamps covered in tape as it just doesn't soak off and ruins the look of the stamp in my opinion.
Reusing stamps is illegal in Australia, too.

DeepDarkHana
06-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Dodged a bullet there i guess! I've Thought about reusing stamps before, but never did cause i was pretty sure it was illegal...
I'm too pretty for jail lol

barbarafpage
08-06-2014, 04:30 PM
This isn't meant to be sarcastic, but how many people are in jail for the crime of reusing stamps? Would ATC members be in there with them? Maybe we could send them a card to cheer them up while they cool their heels in the slammer.

BekaH
08-09-2014, 12:49 AM
Yea seems to me, a fine would be more likely than jail time.... but who knows?

Rogue Gal
08-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Sometimes participants in my swaps send me stamps that are already on a paper backing like they have been cut off of an envelope. Whether they have been used before or not, the US Post Office will not accept these either if they are taped or glued to your mail. Just send unused, un-stuck to anything stamps, please!

Kynara
08-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Sometimes participants in my swaps send me stamps that are already on a paper backing like they have been cut off of an envelope. Whether they have been used before or not, the US Post Office will not accept these either if they are taped or glued to your mail. Just send unused, un-stuck to anything stamps, please!

:yes: :yes: ditto!

even if you think it's no big deal. even if you're willing to take the chance yourself... pleeeaasse don't ask a hostess to do it for you! If that hostess happened to get caught and fined for your stamp... wouldn't you feel bad? Whether or not it's jail time or a fine. You should never ask someone else to break the law for you...

xstitcher
08-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Several years ago I had a postal employee tell me it was ok to tape stamps on as long as there was some stamp not taped for them to cancel.

As a host it makes me nuts to get stamps stuck on an envelope and someone expects me to reuse it. Too much work taking it off the paper for weight purposes for the value of the stamp.

Until I saw this when it first posted if I received an envelope from someone and the stamps werenít canceled I would send them back to my player with their swap returns and let them decide what they wanted to do with them.

Havenít gotten one for quite some time but if I do now I will put them in my box of canceled stamps that I am saving to give to someone I know will use them if I just get myself in gear and get them to them.

JenUrebel
11-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Imagine how many ATC you can do in one year in prison ;-)

My luck I'd only be sentenced to 30 days :)

xstitcher
11-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Or put somewhere where they would not let us have our own stuff!

robcrusade
11-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah I don't think "My own art studio" is one of the amenities of the federal or state forced hotel stays....

Spirit Soul
12-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Imagine how many ATC you can do in one year in prison ;-)

Ha, ha, that's the way to look at it! And if you can't have your own art supplies, you can host a swap that's a HD/HP Drawn with Blood on Toilet Paper Swap!

Miss M
01-22-2015, 09:37 AM
This very much applies in Canada under the Canada Post Corporation Act.

Evading payment of postage

55. Every person commits an offence who, for the purpose of evading payment of postage,

(a) encloses a letter or any writing intended to serve the purpose of a letter in mail not paid at the rate of postage for letters;
(b) uses in payment of postage any previously used postage stamp; or
(c) affixes on mailable matter anything suggesting that

(i) the mailable matter is entitled to be transmitted by post free of postage or at a lower rate of postage than that otherwise applicable thereto, or
(ii) the postage or any part thereof has been paid or ought to be paid by or charged to any other person.

1980-81-82-83, c. 54, s. 49.

Lizzzabelll
02-16-2016, 04:50 PM
So if you address an envelope incorrectly, and remove the stamp and stick it on another letter, that is illegal?

Kynara
02-16-2016, 05:04 PM
unfortunately yes

this answer came from my postmaster but I've also seen it on usps's website... somewhere. (that place isn't easy to find anything haha)

IamWhatonearth
03-08-2016, 06:11 PM
I was worried for a bit. Haha. I've accidentally wrote the address incorrectly and taken the stamp off to put on a new envie but that's not what you meant by reusing a stamp so I'm good. lol

Kynara
03-08-2016, 08:44 PM
the post office would consider that re-using. because there's no way to prove you didn't take it of an envelope that's already been through the mail.

smallgirl
03-09-2016, 01:49 AM
If you misaddress an envelope and you have already put on the postage, cover the misaddress with a properly addressed label and tape over it (just the label, not the stamps) so it does not fall off. That is a tip that Will, the post office guy I chat with when I mail my ATCs gave me. In Canada, even if the stamp was put on a mistake it is considered reusing if you peel it off and stick on a new envelope.

GALZART
03-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Always address envelope first...put stamp on last...that prevents any problems.