PDA

View Full Version : postage stamp/sticker Athon anyone?

Donnacr
06-09-2014, 04:49 AM
I was just looking at the Athons that we have had recently and felt that I needed an excuse to use LOTS of the postage stamps that I have been saving (they are starting to take over my craft room - HELP!!!)

I was thinking that I could Host it 2 weeks after vampiress rose's Summer Solstice ATART - so it would run Thursday July 4 to Monday July 7.

Anyone interested?

KESagers
06-09-2014, 01:36 PM
I think those dates might work for me. If I entertain for the holiday I could play after the 4th.

Just Ducky
06-09-2014, 04:21 PM
stamps and stickers ???? way cool idea Donna.... and even being on a biggie USA holiday is fine... run outside cook a hot dog... come in and work a stamp or two...

sniisk
06-10-2014, 01:47 AM
I have no idea where I am and what I am doing then but if I can, I will certainly join. And I have saved way too many postage stamps so at least I should have plenty of supplies :).

Donnacr
06-10-2014, 02:38 AM
I get so many gorgeous stamps from all over the world and I save them all :yes:

It appears that the important people will be there ;) so I will ask Carole to make it official.

miloccpep
06-10-2014, 03:33 AM
Sounds good to me. I too have plenty of postage stamps. Would you consider faux stamps as well?

Donnacr
06-10-2014, 07:04 AM
I don't see why not. What do others think?

sniisk
06-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Faux stamps, why not. Maybe it could be polite to inform about it so people can make their decicions if they want to trade or not. Otherwise I don't see any problem.

Nancy
06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Count me in!! Love working with stamps!

Miss M
06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Great idea! I will do my best to join in!

JenUrebel
06-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I am going to subscribe to this thread, since I love working with postage stamps. Just no guarantees that I can upload photos from home (I know, I know, it's easy, but you see I'm lazy when it comes to learning new processes.) I'll see what i can do about that laziness thing for the benefit of the cause and the athon group! :)

Donnacr
06-11-2014, 01:00 AM
JenUrebel - we appreciate the sacrifices you are making for the group :yes::cool:

Gnome
06-11-2014, 07:35 AM
I have never participated in an athon before. I would love to join on.

Vicki Z
06-11-2014, 08:44 AM
I am in.
Are you looking for a co-host on the other side of the world?
I can help

Donnacr
06-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Gnome - be warned, Athons are HIGHLY addictive!! Join us for one and we'll have you forever. mwah ha ha haaa (nope, that evil laugh still needs work :no:)

VickiZ - that would be fantastic! and greatly appreciated. :jiggy:

Do people enjoy it when each day is given themes? If so, any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. . .

CynthiaSillitoe
06-11-2014, 01:09 PM
I'll be here. My only other plan that weekend is to stay inside and enjoy the air conditioning, so the two go together perfectly. :)

prayer_at_night
06-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Totally depends on whether I get the internship in the Czech Republic or not - if I do, I'll have just arrived there when this a-thon starts, so I won't be able to play. If I'm here, though, I'll definitely play! Love stickers! (And postage stamps, too, but the stickers didn't get enough love ;) )

Donnacr
06-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Good luck with the internship - we will miss you. fingers crossed for luck

artchick501
06-24-2014, 10:41 AM
I am planning to play! Even if things get busy, I can squeeze in some time.....off to prepare backgrounds now!

bluelotusflower
06-24-2014, 10:55 AM
AWESOME! Certainly I have tons of postage stamps and would love the opportunity to find them a home. ;)

prayer_at_night
06-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Good luck with the internship - we will miss you. fingers crossed for luck

So, I didn't get that internship, which is sad... but at least I'll be able to play with you all, that makes it less bad. :) My mom and I will be in the house, I guess! :biglaugh:

lilbad
06-24-2014, 11:41 AM
So sorry P at N....!

To clarify, are we just trading cancelled stamps or are we making atcs with them???

KESagers
06-24-2014, 01:01 PM
So sorry about the internship! Silver lining is you'll be with us. (Not sure how much consolation that is but I hope it helps some.)

Lilbad - I think we are making all kinds of art with cancelled stamps.

prayer_at_night
06-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Aw, you girls are so sweet... it's fine, really, I just think that "two weeks before the work starts" is not the right time to finally decide if they want me or not... *grumble* But I'm fine, and you're right, Kristin - I do look forward to being part of this a-thon! :yes:

And I too think that we're trading art with stickers or stamps on it. :) Can't wait to raid my (huuuuge) sticker stash! :D

chilibibi
06-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi! I haven't tried an Athon yet, but I think this may be my first :) I'll have to go check my sticker stash (and my son's muah haaa haaa!)

Donnacr
06-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Everyone is perfectly correct. This Athon will consist of any type of art that you like (ATCs, Chunkies, Twinchies, Inchies if you can find stamps/stickers small enough, APCs, Postcards, Moos, Bookmarks, etc) that has at least one stamp or sticker on it somewhere.

These can be the main feature of the card, or part of the background, etc.

I have been in a couple of swaps where beautiful cards were made by extending the original stamp design to cover the whole card. Other people use stamps with people's heads/faces and give them a body - often going with a zetti design but not always.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted so that I can put them at the start of the Athon to give people ideas.

chilibibi - I like your thinking (and your evil laugh :yes:)

miloccpep
06-25-2014, 09:42 AM
These are some samples of faux stamps I may use since there's no objection from anyone.

Vicki Z
06-25-2014, 10:10 AM
I LOVE daily themes....
Even when not followed, themes do provide a focus and often lead to awesome ATCs

We could try "double" themes (an either/or type thing), like both a theme focus and a technique

Birds, Bees, Butterflies and Flowers
.....extending the original stamp design to cover the whole card works well with these images
People, Pets, Heads
.....People use stamps with people's heads/faces and give them a body - often going with a zetti design but not always.
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (anything non living or mechanical)
.....People seem to want to put faces or emotions on non living items, but that is fun, too

Any of the above can apply to postage stamps, and/or stickers

Just some thoughts as I was going through my stamp stash (and adding in what you just said)

dsign49
06-25-2014, 03:30 PM
I know I haven't been on for some time.....
I have lots of stamps and I am sure I can find some time to play.

I have been busy sewing mittens for a craft fair the 2nd of August.

Nancy
06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
VickiZ, may I suggest adding houses made with stamps...They are always so cute....also if anyone is planning on using the newer US cancelled stamps...you need to start getting them ready..it is taking me forever to get them off the envies without damaging the perforated edges..I think the PO has added superglue or concrete as the new stickum......Can hardly wait for the AThon to begin.....

chilibibi
06-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Hi Nancy, do you have any examples of a house made with stamps for us to see? I've never seen one, and it sounds great!

Nancy
06-25-2014, 10:05 PM
There are two posted on page 6 of my gallery....I bet you could come up with some great ideas to make them!!

chilibibi
06-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Ooooh Nancy! Love them! :)

sharlene54
06-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Those are great Nancy.

I got my stamps out, a gigantic bag full and now they are soaking.

Let me know Donnacr if you need another hostess. I'll be around that weekend.

Alessandra
06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
I am in for sure! I had loads of fun on the lat athon.... Count me in! I even have my stamps already. This time I had to buy but I will be saving them for a Next time. Athons are addictive! This whole website is addictive! Thank you for a great weekend I know we will all have!

chilibibi
06-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Sharlene54: May I ask what is soaking? Is that how you get the stamps off of an envie? Because I'm having trouble with some stamps tearing...are you soaking the envelopes? Is there a method to do it so the stamps won't be ruined? Us Newbies need some advice please! :)

miloccpep
06-27-2014, 10:51 AM
chilibibi, you don't need to soak the envelop, just the cut out stamp. I did mine with hot water, leave it for awhile, and the stamp will release itself from the cutout envelop. Lay them on a dry towel,face down or it will stick to the towel!

chilibibi
06-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Oh! :embarrassed: Tee hee! I would literally have soaked the whole envelope! Duh!

Thanks for the help!!!! :)

Alessandra
06-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Us newbies need all the help we can get!

lilbad
06-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Just soak your stamps cut off envies in water.

KESagers
06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Some of the new stamps won't soak - if you can't soak them off just cut or trim them. Although some times you can just peel the sticker stamps off.

HHC
06-27-2014, 04:39 PM
I'll see if I can come up with something. Hasn't happened of recent, so no guarantees.

I'm a postage stamp addict. Ask Cynthia Sillitoe. Did you all know she sells all kinds of lovely stamps on Etsy? Dangerous for someone like me. Ha!

sharlene54
06-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Yes, some stamps won't soak off the envy paper so I pull off the wet paper around the stamp, I find this happens mostly with US stamps.

Donnacr
06-28-2014, 11:03 AM
I find that European stamps float off their backing paper very quickly but I need to leave the US stamps soaking overnight.
If you are having trouble pulling the stamp off the front, turn it over and gently rub the backing paper off instead.
Don't forget that you will be resticking these stamps so a little tear here and there will be hidden.

Don't make my mistake and 'save' too many stamps and then do a MASSIVE soak off - I ended up sticking to everything for a day and I am STILL finding little bits of rubbed off paper in the most unusual places.

If you know of a friend who has not chatted in this thread or taken part in last weekend's WONDERFUL Athon - please feel free to invite them to join us in the next Athon. It is always nice to 'share' our addictions :biglaugh:

Kimmie
06-28-2014, 06:51 PM
If I am able to, and I'm home, I could play some... but I don't have but a few postage stamps to use. HOWEVER, I can do some faux stamps, for certain! And can get some stickers!

I 've NEVER used a sticker on an ATC before... will have to do a search to see if I like the look! LOL. :)

Suze
06-28-2014, 11:43 PM
yes! another athon! thanks Donna for thinking of stickers and stamps, I will sure try to play.
and I agree with Prayer, stickers don't get 'nuff love. There are some gorgeous, artsy stickers out there/I'm a huge collector of different kinds of stickers, sometimes I think I'm still 5years old. playing in stickerland. :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Donnacr
06-29-2014, 12:00 AM
The old fashioned stickers with the white outlines can be effective if you make a feature of the outline, or colour over it.
The new stickers, cut much closer to the design, are VERY easy to use. Have fun!!

smallgirl
06-29-2014, 02:26 AM
I will try to play! I love stickers and stamps. Sadly, I was saving a HUGE envie of stamps and now I can't find it :(

Sarah's mom
06-30-2014, 10:37 AM
ATHON?!!!- YES!
I am infected by the last athon and cannot wait to take part in the next one.
On Wednesday I get to know the date of my next surgery.
If Im NOT in hospital next weekend, I AM WITH YOU!:yes:

sharlene54
06-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Marathons can be addicting. I hope you can join us, Sarah's mom. I wish you well.

Just Ducky
07-01-2014, 12:16 AM
postage stamps.. tiny pieces of art... so great to use on ATCs...
spent tonight sorting ... picking and choosing USA and internationals... really some pretties.

smallgirl
07-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Found my big envie of stamps, so I'm back in the game!! :)

prayer_at_night
07-01-2014, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the soaking advice, ladies! I had never done it and through your help I knew not to expect all the stamps to just "give up", so I rubbed off the soaked paper instead. I've been soaking and peeling and rubbing my way through two evenings of soccer world championship now, and it looks like all the stamps I saved will be ready to use by Thursday! :D

Alessandra
07-01-2014, 07:17 AM
The soaking worked perfect for me!!! At least for now...

Donnacr
07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
I am closing this thread now as the official Athon thread is now open - just click on the link in my signature and you will go straight there.