PDA

View Full Version : Summer Solstice A-Thon Pre-Thread June 20

BekaH
06-11-2014, 03:39 PM
The Summer Solstice A-Thon / ATART will starton June 20 (Friday) and end June 23 (the following Monday). This is the pre thread for the A-Thon.

Your Hosts as of Now - Myself (Vampiress Rose), KESagers, and Just Ducky! I am open to any more volunteers as well who would like to help!

I figure we will be lenient on rules... Start whenever YOU want to on June 20, and stop whenever you want to! :) As long as it is at least 12 am in your time zone on June 20, you can start! Less confusing this way :)

I will post a link to the official thread soon.

I am also open to ideas for optional themes :)
KESagers suggested one fun one - Summer Blooms vs.Winter Blues (depending on what side of the world everyone is on it's one or the other right now.)

Anyways, don't forget to invite others you think would like to play! Have fun!

prayer_at_night
06-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Checking in for the pre-hype - I'm looking forward to this a-thon and hope I'll be able to play a lot! :D

BekaH
06-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Hope to see you there! If you have any suggestions for themes, please let me know :)

Cathy1
06-12-2014, 07:25 PM
bookmarking

theweavershand
06-12-2014, 08:12 PM
tentatively on the calendar

Just Ducky
06-12-2014, 08:24 PM
yikes.... boy, sure glad I checked in here tonight... I was thinking our fun stuff wasen't till next weekend... I even have my calendar marked for the 26th... man am I wrong...

right now I still have half of my kitchen here in crafty room... but I now have a real reason to get my #%&* put back in the kitchen and sweep off the "art" table... new kitchen floor is down and cabinets back in place.. even have a sink with running water and a NEW stove.. so ONE room done.. almost, just wating on new floor covering (carpet)

SO yes, sweet hostess, I am flexing my fingers and digging out fresh glue sticks... so me and Ducks is gonna be ready to PLay...

BekaH
06-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Can't wait! I'll be arting away! <3 Ready to make some trades! <3 I'm still thinking up some optional themes!

sharlene54
06-12-2014, 10:02 PM
I hope to art it up. Let the begin.

nightowl_too
06-13-2014, 01:28 AM
I may regret this but what the heck...

From the home office of nightowl_too.....

Top 10 things to do to prepare for a major art a thon:

10. Record message on answering machine/service that says: "I am unable to take your call, art a thon in progress"

9. visit post office to stock up on stamps and envies

8. make sure 'fridge is stocked with food and pre cooked meals. You don't want to have to leave home during the ATART.

7. Inventory art supplies...go purchase extra stock if needed.

6. Have emergency contact person ready to make a STAT art supplies or food run if necessary. You can't be bothered during the ATART.

5. Get all house work done in advance. You can't be bothered with washing dishes or doing laundry. Make sure you have enough paper plates on hand.

4. Stock up on caffeine. You don't want to waste any more time on sleep than necessary.

3. get ALL art supplies out of storage and scatter them all over your art table. You need to have a visual of all of your supplies during the art process for inspiration

2. warn friends and family not to visit during the art a thon. A note on the door to this effect (i.e. "go away I'm busy art a thon ing") may be warranted

1. install portable bed next to art table so as not to waste precious time traveling to and from bed if the need for sleep becomes necessary (refer to number 4)

(Im ducking the flying tomatoes, lol :) )

Evalila
06-13-2014, 03:58 AM
No flying tomatoes from here - great advice!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BekaH
06-13-2014, 03:59 AM
Lmao! That's pretty great!! Hope to see you creating and trading!! :-)

KESagers
06-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Nightowl has the right idea! ;)

Allegrae
06-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Hoping to join once I finish all my PAT/other swap cards. A summer food theme might be fun: BBQs, cookouts, etc.

KESagers
06-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Great idea Allegrae!

Miss M
06-14-2014, 06:27 PM
too funny nightowl_too!!!

BekaH
06-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Hope to see you all :-)

Donnacr
06-15-2014, 11:54 PM
LOVE all the rules night owl
10 - no phone, hence no message tick
9 - post office knows the bule (foreigner) very well from her weekly trips (they even have a 'secret' stash of Rp 5000 stamps [the highest denomination they carry - international post is Rp 20,000] just for me :biglaugh:) tick
8 - fridge stocked but can't leave home/compound anyway without much advance planning tick
7 - N/A still haven't found anywhere that sells anything :(
6 - N/A
5 - lady comes in on Saturday to clean the entire house (she won't be getting in the craft room though :yes: tick
4 - LOTS of caffeine tick
3 - all supplies visually obvious (have left a tiny path to door of room in case I need toilet or caffeine replenishment) tick
2 - have sent husband to America for entire Athon (he thought that he was going for work ;)) tick
1 - bed is on the way to the toilet so power naps possible when needed tick

Ready and counting the hours

Donnacr
06-16-2014, 12:07 AM
As for themes - what about using the Summer/Winter palettes of hot/cold colours?

As it is the Summer Soltice Athon - what about cards divided 2/3 and 1/3 and showing opposites eg positive/negative images/colour palettes, day/night, big/little, etc?
The Soltice is the time when we celebrate the longest time of daylight in a day.

dsaeta
06-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi all. My sister will actually be coming home this weekend so it would be so much fun for us to "athon" together.

Theme ideas? Solstice makes me think Wicca so what about summer vs winter Wiccan festivals?

I also think about old drive-in movies. You young wippersnappers don't know what those are but any way, maybe drive-in movie poster?

Anything cold??? I know with this heat I don't want to see more pictures of hot things.

That's all for now. Haven't had my coffee yet. Hope to see you guys this weekend.

Donncr - love the positive/negative idea!!

BekaH
06-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Hmmm ice cream? And how fun! I bet having you two together arting is such a treat :-) :-) :-) can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. I may not do as many cards this time, I will be focusing a lot in drawing instead of collage this time.

Miss M
06-16-2014, 12:13 PM
I think with ice cream, we need the flip side of hot chocolate for the down unders! ;) Hmmm, or maybe ice cream in the hot chocolate....

BekaH
06-16-2014, 01:58 PM
How bout... ice cream vs. Hot chocolate? And the card can feature your favorite of the two

KESagers
06-16-2014, 02:49 PM
You guys are coming up with great ideas - love it!

Cathy1
06-16-2014, 03:09 PM
OMG....all this talk of hot chocolate and ice cream when I am trying to be on a diet LOL

BekaH
06-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Lol!!!

Miss M
06-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm going to be so bold as to add a new rule to nightowl_too's list....

# 10 1/2 - Calories do not count during an athon! (see you burn them off with all that arting! :biglaugh:)

BekaH
06-16-2014, 08:50 PM
That's an awesome rule!! :-)

Donnacr
06-17-2014, 12:47 AM
MissM - LOVE your rule #10 1/2! I vote for an Athon every weekend and then we'll never have to diet again!

Cathy1
06-17-2014, 04:01 AM
Yay for rule 10 1/2. I should be thin by Christmas if there is an athon each week. LOL.

Miss M
06-17-2014, 09:58 AM
We should all create a new diet program...."The ATART-Athon Diet"! We could write a book, LOL, but it'd have to be an illustrated one!

sniisk
06-17-2014, 11:36 AM
2. warn friends and family not to visit during the art a thon. A note on the door to this effect (i.e. "go away I'm busy art a thon ing") may be warranted

Well, this coming weekend is the biggest family holiday (after Christmas) here in Finland. I guess that I cannot stop friends and relatives visiting us all this weekend. Probably not playing at all, but will lurk when I can.

BekaH
06-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Sad not to have you, but have fun with your family!!!

Donnacr
06-18-2014, 12:22 AM
sniisk - I love finding out about different countries traditions and celebrations. What is the occasion this weekend in Finland?

KESagers
06-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Have a great time with your family Sniisk!

I worked on getting some JAMs finished up today. I hope that means I'm ahead of the game for this weekend. :err:

prayer_at_night
06-18-2014, 05:34 PM
I hope to get my mom (Sarahīs mom (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/member.php?u=31789) :laugh: ) to join us in the a-thon... keeping my fingers crossed!
She's not (like me :embarrassed: ) the kind of person who hangs around at the computer for ages so she might not chat so much, but I hope she can trade some of her awesome cards with you sweeties. :wubclub:

BekaH
06-18-2014, 08:32 PM
That would be awesome!!! :-) tell your mom to come.play :-)

Spoiltpup
06-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Ok, ready to get started! Teaching myself encaustic painting, so no idea what they'll end up looking like, lol. Sorry, my muse sucks at sticking with themes :(

BekaH
06-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Well I can't wait to see how they turn out deanna!!!

kretakim
06-19-2014, 07:04 AM
hoping to be able to join in the fun!!

Pikkis
06-19-2014, 10:59 AM
sniisk - I love finding out about different countries traditions and celebrations. What is the occasion this weekend in Finland?

In Finnish the event is called "Juhannus", but thatīs simply Midsummer in English. The biggest celebration is going to be tomorrow which is the Midsummer Eve and people gather together with their relatives and friends to eat a lot (and sadly also many drink a lot too) and at the midnight we burn "kokko" which is a kind of a bonfire. Many Finns have summer cottages and thatīs a very popular place at Midsummer, but itīs celebrated in towns as well.

BekaH
06-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Sounds fun! (Except the drinking, I'm not a drinker, lol) Pikkis, will you be able to play in the a-thon also are will you too be busy entertaining guests?

BekaH
06-19-2014, 11:39 AM
I do HATE that velcrodog is not going to be able to party with us this time :( I will definitely miss her... Has anyone heard from her? I know she posted that she would be away, but that's the last I seen/heard from her... I'm a bit worried actually...

KESagers
06-19-2014, 01:39 PM
She hasn't been on the site since May 2nd. Unless someone has contact info for her and can give her a ring to see how she is doing or sees her on other social media I don't think anyone has heard from her.

Donnacr
06-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Do we have an official thread for this Athon or do I just load my cards up here?

KESagers
06-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Howdy Donnacr!

I don't think VRose has posted an official thread yet - just load here for now and if we do another thread we'll move there later.

BekaH
06-19-2014, 02:40 PM
omg! it's this weekend! crapppp! I was thinking it was next weekend! Holy cow! Aye! I really am beginning to feel my age! :/ Time is getting away from me... man, I have to go set up an official thread, then I will do dishes and try to create! Luckily for me, it's not the 20th just yet! HAHA

BekaH
06-19-2014, 02:41 PM
This is why I need my co hosts! Bahahah!

nightowl_too
06-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Biggest family holiday in Finland, hmm? :err: Well, then I would definitely advise against doing #2 in my top ten list. Oopps. See, I knew I could possibly regret it...probably offended a whole country. :embarrassed::wubclub:

So, even though it is only 3pm on the 19th where I am, it is the 20th on the other side of the world - :idea: - would it be wrong to twirl the arms of my clock ahead 9 hours? :idea:

BekaH
06-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Hey! You can start whenever your heart desires! LOL. I won't be mad! I'll just enjoy the art! ;)

BTW, HERE is the OFFICIAL SUMMER SOLSTICE A-THON THREAD (http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1583768#post1583768)

This thread will be closed shortly, so please move over to that one :)

KESagers
06-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks Vampires Rose! :)