PDA

View Full Version : Advocate Artists Swap: Due July 18th

kbutts
05-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Advocate Artists, Due July 18th

Swap Due Date: July 18th

Signup/Withdraw Date: July 18th

Number of Cards: 3 for 3

Number of Participants: 12 (5 international)

Swap Rules and Information:
• Any and all mediums are welcome.
• Please send only original, one-of-a-kind works that you are proud of.
• Very poor quality, damaged, offensive or late cards will be returned to you.
• No heavy or bulky embellishments please.
• All cards must fit into, and should be mailed in, the standard plastic sleeve.
• You must put your username and the swap name on the back of all your cards and envelopes.
• An extra (Host) ATC would be appreciated but by no means required and could be sent in lieu of postage.
• I do ask that you try to avoid being offensive and also that you try to be tolerant of the views and opinions of others.
• Although I am not going to forbid such subject matter, you may wish to limit images of blood/gore and/or depictions of cruelty in your cards. If your cards do contain such images please publish them only in the thread and not into the gallery since children and all others members and visitors view the gallery regularly. FYI, I’m pretty sure that if you upload the images to “your” AFA gallery they show up in the general gallery. Thanks for your understanding on this.

Mailing instructions:
Please write your username and the swap name on the back of both envelopes.
• US Players: Please send a SAE and Loose postage (enough to cover return cost…58 cents or more)
• International Players: Please send a SAE. I will pay your return postage for you.

iTrader and Rep Points:
• I will do my very best to post iTrader points(s) as soon as I receive cards. At the very least you will have them before I mail returns.
• When you receive your returns I would appreciate reciprocal iTrader point(s) and encourage everyone to submit Rep points for the artists of their returns.

Swap Details:
This is my first time hosting a swap on AFA and I am very excited about it! This swap is intended to give its participants the opportunity to advocate for threatened and/or endangered species and to speak-up for change in practices that may be harmful to animals and/or our environment. Some specific topics to consider might be:
• Global Warming (could be broken down into more specific topics)
• Pollution
• Save the …Whales (or Polar Bears, Silver Shark, Rainforrest, Pecos Sunflower, etc)
• Puppy Mills
• Cock Fighting
• Dog Fighting
• Seal Clubbing
• Fur Sale
This is, of course, not an all-inclusive list. I would love to know what you might add to it. Use your artistic powers to help make others aware of the troubles faced by our precious animals and the rest of our environment. Take this opportunity to teach us about something that may be otherwise overlooked or ignored. I realize that this is a “different” theme with “special challenges” but it is also something that I feel strongly about. For me, art is about expression, not just pretty pictures, and I feel that it has the power to change the world when it is created and used the "right" way.

Disclaimer:
• Please realize that this theme may be more controversial and heart
wrenching than most.
• I would not recommend it for young children. Therefore this is not a swap for all ages.
• Again, I do ask that you try to avoid being offensive and also that you try to be tolerant of the views and opinions of others.
• Please do not sign-up for this swap if you feel that you will have difficulty with being tolerant or with avoiding being offensive.

Participants:
1. kbutts...US
2. Bright-Spark...Scotland-----received on 7/14/08
3. GarageBandFan...US-----received on 6/30/08
4. Wigbag...US-----received on 6/26/08
5. stampingsandy...US-----recieved on 7/14/08

rocketwoman
05-25-2008, 05:46 PM
i'd love to be the first to sign up. it's a little quick turn around for me on the due date. but i feel like i have to sign up because i've thought of doing a swap very similar. thanks.

Jean
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi, Kimberly! This info may be of help:

How to upload an image to the thread instead of to your gallery
1. Click Go Advanced under the Quick Reply text box.
2. When the window opens, click the paper clip (next to the smily face)
3. Use the Browse button to find the image on your computer.
4. When you find it, click upload to load the image as a thumbnail into your post.
It's really easy after you do it once or twice.

Have a great swap! ;)
jean

kbutts
05-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Rocketwoman, thank yo so much for being the first to sign-up for my first swap.

Jean, thank you so much for the helpful advise about how to upload images to the thread instead of to the gallery...and for all of the other help you have already given me with getting this first swap set up. You're Great!

mynameisJenn
05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
what a great idea for a swap Kimberly, however I have a little too much going on at the moment to sign up.:sad:

kbutts
05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks Jenn. I'm glad you like to theme idea. Maybe you can play if/when the theme is used again.

Ibus
05-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I love this idea but don't think I could do it justice. All the best though.

Bright-Spark
05-26-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm a bit like Ibus in that I am not sure I can do this justice, but I am willing to give it a go, especially as it is your fist time hosting a swap on AFA. You haven't exactly taken the easy option!

So, sign me up please

adifferentstory
05-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Good luck with your first host. I'm a bit busy to sign up at the moment but may be back.

kbutts
05-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Welcome Bright-Spark and gogokira! I'm so glad that you have signed up for my swap. I can't wait to see what you create.

kbutts
05-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Elizabeth and Lynne,
Thanks for the well wishes.

GarageBandFan
05-27-2008, 06:51 PM
ME ME ME ME I am in the us!

kbutts
05-27-2008, 07:14 PM
You You You are in GarageBandFan! Welcome to the swap.

kbutts
05-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Change in Due Date: By popular demand the due date for this swap has been edited. The new due date is July 18th!

Welcome to the swap ScramperSue.

ScramperSue
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
happy to be a part of it :)

ScramperSue
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
kim, you need to edit the title...to do that go to edit, when it opens click "go advanced" then you can fix the title.
:)

GarageBandFan
05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
I am soooooooo excited about this swap...all night at work tonight I kept comming up with ideas, I am off tomorrow so we will see what I can come up with!

kbutts
05-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I love that newby spirit! Keep the excitement flowing Magen.

GarageBandFan
05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I may be new to this site... but I am not new to atcs! ;)

GarageBandFan
06-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I have two cards done... just need to scan them... i have more ideas though especially with presidential election in nov!

kbutts
06-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I selected this theme after reviewing some of my sketches. Back in Feb I attended a presentation on shark finning at scuba diving conference. I am planning to use that for one of my cards. I also have preliminary sketches for cards about puppy mills, melting polar ice caps (polar bear homes) and bleaching of coral reefs. I guess these fit into the broader topics of global warming and animal cruelty. I will probably make some other cards (extras) on this theme.

GarageBandFan
06-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Here are my first two cards!

thoughtcrimes
06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I am going to try to see if I can get some cards together and then officially sign up. I was bordering on a nervous breakdown last week, so am trying to be sane about getting things done. My family has rescued a couple of dogs, and on of my friends fosters rescue greyhounds, so I am sure at least one of mine would be dog related.

Wigbag
06-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Can I sign up? Interesting theme!!

kbutts
06-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the swap Wigbag! I'm so glad to have you.

Great cards Magen. Can't wait to see your presidential card (assuming you choose that subject).

Pamela, I'm glad to hear that you are considering the swap. Just be sure to take care of yourself first. It sounds like you have your hands full with the dogs you rescued. What a wonderful thing to do. I'm planning to volunteer at a local animal shelter this summer. I'm just waiting to hear back from the coordinator. I look forward to seeing your cards when you finish them. Take care.

GarageBandFan
06-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Ok here is a third card... I am in the wizard of oz with a twist swap and it inspired a fun idea for an amazing political card.... its called... 'If I Only Had A Brain'

kbutts
06-22-2008, 11:56 PM
That's great Magen! It made me laugh.

kbutts
06-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm so excited. I just made my first ever custom labels for the backs of my ATCs. Do any of you make your own labels for your cards?

kbutts
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
So how is everyone doing on their cards? Would anyone else like to share their ideas/topic of choice?

GarageBandFan
06-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I cant wait to get these cards back... haha I know there is alot of time left but still.... my cards are on there way to you! :)

kbutts
06-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Magen, I'll be sure to let you know when the get here.

kbutts
06-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Wigbag, I got your wonderful cards today. Thank you for the extra. Do you mind if I post them to this thread? They really should be shown off.

kbutts
06-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Here are the cards that Wigbag sent in:

thoughtcrimes
06-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Awesome job, Wigbag.

kbutts
06-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Magan, I got your cards in the mail today. Thanks for the extra blanks.

lilmisstypo
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhh man i missed the date by 1 day ..... i knew i should have visited yesterday ....... well i hope you make a #2 OF THIS THEME . This is awesome .... i had like 10 ideas heheh

kbutts
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
After making sure I wouldn't be breaking any rules I edited the sign-up/withdraw date. The new date is now July 18th (same as due date for cards). So if anyone is interested in joining still we do have room. It would be great to have more players too. I just ask that you keep the due date in mind. Happy creating!

kbutts
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Welcome to the swap stampingsandy!

Bright-Spark
07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I am afraid my doesn't involve animals......

They were inspired by a radio announcement I heard last year which announced that malnutrition was on the increase in Scotland, that and adult illiteracy. This was combined with a trip I made that day to Canary Wharf in London. The conspicuous show of wealth in this area was in sharp contast to what I had heard, but even there you could see some unfortunates, well you could if you opened your eyes. So I would advocate that we look after people better in our own society.

Thanks Kimberly for hosting and making some of us think!

kbutts
07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Great card Margaux! There is no requirement that the cards be about animals. That just happens to be my focus. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

kbutts
07-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Just a kind reminder that we all have just one week left to get our cards in. The due date is July 18th (next Friday). I hope everyone is making great progress and enjoying the swap so far. If you do need to withdraw for any reason just let me know. I understand that life sometimes gets in the way. Have a great day.

kbutts
07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Received wonderful cards from Sandy and Margaux today. Thanks ladies, I will leave you iTrader points asap.

kbutts
07-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Well ladies...the Advocate Artists cards are all swapped out and ready to go postal tomorrow. You all did a wonderful job on your cards. I hope we will be able to play together again in the near future. I sure hope you all enjoy your returns. Please let me know when you get your cards and remember to give Rep ("You Rock") points to those who made your returns. iTrader for me would also be greatly appreciated.

Since you all posted your fabulous cards here is a sneak peek at the ones I made. Enjoy!

Bright-Spark
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I got mine!!

Many thanks to kbutts for hosting and to GarbageBandFan, Stampingsandy and Wigbag for great cards. Off to leave points.....