Swap Due Date: January 13, 2023
Signup/Withdraw Date: January 13, 2023
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome

RETURNS MAILED

Plants and Flowers By Any Other Name, Due January 13, 2023, FRIDAY THE 13TH
Our "Lost" Apothecary
Plants and Flowers By Any Other Name, plus other odd, assorted, trees, shrubs, herbs, weeds, fruits, or vegetables.
….Common names, odd facts, also their Magical, Mystical, and Fantasy properties, plus Strange Lore and Legends

Native Americans once knew all their local plants and how to use them for health, happiness, and well being. Some Native Americans remember, and are teaching others this knowledge. "Ojibwe Aspirin" and "Water Oats" are still around today.
During the Civil War, doctors used "Soldier's Wound Wort" to staunch bleeding.
As the country moved West, pioneers taught each new generation about pepper weed, summer pot herb,
dandelion root "coffee", as well as the names and uses of other plant allies.

Today much of this knowledge has been lost or simply forgotten. In early Spring, dandelion greens, nettles, purslane, and lambs quarter were used in salads to "kick start" the human body after a vitamin deprived winter. This time of year, there are edible weeds to build up immunities as we move into shorter days, less sun, and more sedentary lives.

Did you know that tomatoes were once called "Love Apples", and were considered HIGHLY POISONOUS for many years. Now we are aware of their vitamin and mineral content and eat tomatoes plain and in soups and sauces, not to mention on pizza.
Did you know that the Catnip your cat so loves, also makes a Power Drink that rehydrates and energizes the body and is very healthy (in general) for humans.

Did you know that in Medieval times "Bat Wing" was the common name for "Holly", and later "Bat Wing" referred to Purple Basil. In lean years, farm fields were still cleaned and plowed so that dandelion weed and wild nettles could grow. At least the populace would not starve.
The list goes on: Corpse Flowers, Zombie Plant, Wolfbane, Witch Repellent.

This swap is about
Real plants/fruit/flowers with interesting properties, in addition to eating them, such as use of Marigold flowers as a mosquito repellent, or Witch Hazel Leaves as "Bo-Bo Patches"
Real plants/fruit/flowers with odd folk names, such as the Frost Explosion Plant or Egyptian Walking Onions.

You can create ATCs with real plants, herbs, flowers, fruits, or vegetables that actually exist. Then depict or reveal the strange, magical, or mystical, common plant names, plus lore, legends and oddities about your plants, the more obscure or little known the details, the better.

You can be whimsical (A butterfly bush growing butterfly buds and real butterflies) or realistic (A butterfly bush, also known as the Buddleia, a pretty flowered plant that is promoted as attractive to pollinators, but nevertheless an invasive species).
You can make up pun plants, such as a humorous barking DOG wood tree or DOG wood flowers, or CAT kins on a willow tree, or crazy bachelor BUTTONS growing on a button plant, or real bachelor button flowers.

Since your ATCs may include less well-known plants or flowers, or different plant names, please write the name of the herb, plant, or flower on the front, or on the back, of the ATC, and please include some documentary details, or legend or lore, about the plant or flower you show.

DISCLAIMER: This swap is for card making research only. Any information found should be used as fun facts presenting a new way to look at the weeds/plants growing in your yard, garden, or sidewalk.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! Please send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard ATC size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box.
* Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link. http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped (Business Size) Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with one "Forever" stamp or current First Class Postage, if trading 3 cards; or one "Forever" and one additional ounce postage stamp if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps/money, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by January 13, 2023. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Please leave iTrader for your host ONLY (me) when you receive your returns, and please take the time to leave Reputation/You Rock points for your fellow players from whom you receive cards.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

Current Participants
Plants and /flowers By Any Other Name
Due January 13, 2023

1. Allegrae -- Cards Received
*2. leydab -- Cards Received
3. DocJ29 -- Cards Received * GERMANY
*4. Makitso -- Cards Received
*/. Maxtastic -- WITHDREW
5. dnewton972 -- Cards Received
*/. katiea707 -- WITHDREW
*6. Boots -- Cards Received
*7. Vicki Z -- Cards Received

* INTERNATIONAL

Allegrae
11-04-2022, 10:08 AM
Count me in!

Vicki Z
11-04-2022, 10:28 AM
Welcome Allegrae
I signed you up.

Boots
11-06-2022, 04:56 AM
GORGEOUS CARD, huddlestonmollie.

Please sign me up, Vicki

Vicki Z
11-06-2022, 08:05 AM
Welcome Boots.
I signed you up.

jtpaints
11-13-2022, 12:45 AM
Lurking!

leydab
11-13-2022, 01:48 PM
Me, please!

StitchinWitch
11-27-2022, 03:41 PM
Lurking for now; I know a lot about herbs but can't draw worth a darn -- will have to practice and see what I can come up with.

DocJ29
11-27-2022, 04:46 PM
This sounds like fun! Sign me up!

Makitso
12-02-2022, 03:29 PM
Please sign me up! I collect odd plants, so this subject is especially meaningful.
Makitso

Maxtastic
12-05-2022, 10:35 PM
Yes yes yes! Love this theme! Please sign me up :)

Vicki Z
12-06-2022, 12:51 AM
It is GREAT to see so many lurkers.
Have a cuppa mint tea and lavender flower cookies at the lurker table, and consider coming back to join us.

Welcome leydab.
Good to have you in another one of my swaps.

Welcome DocJ29, both to my swap and to this site.
If you have any questions, please ask.
I see you are in Germany.
It may take 2-3 weeks mail transit time for your mailed ATCs to reach me.
Try to mail soon this month, or no later than right after Christmas to assure your treasures reach me on time.

Welcome Makitso.
"Odd Plants" is my middle name.
A group of us here trade cuttings as our plants get big, so it is less expensive to collect.
Sometimes vendors give plants new (cute) names (for Halloween) to increase sales, so trying to not duplicate Dragon toes, Monster fingers, and Sansevieria Cylindrica can be a challenge.
Tell me some of the odd plants you have in your home......

Welcome Maxtastic.
I signed you up.

Vicki Z
12-06-2022, 08:29 AM

My Lady's Bedstraw
Galium Verum

In medieval Europe, the dried plants were used to stuff mattresses, or it was mixed with straw and spread on floors because as the coumarin scent of the plants acts as a flea repellant.

The flowers were also used to coagulate milk in cheese manufacture (which gives the plant its name, from the Greek word γάλα, gala 'milk').
In Gloucestershire it is used to color the cheese double Gloucester.
The plant is also used to make red madder-like and yellow dyes.
In Denmark, the plant (known locally as gul snerre) is traditionally used to infuse spirits, making the uniquely Danish drink bjæsk.
Scandinavians used the plant as a sedative. They called it Frigg's grass, since Frigg was the goddess of married women, and in Norse mythology she helped women give birth to children. Frigg's grass relaxed the women, and eased the pains of labor.

While this plant is a gorgeous flowering ornamental and has numerous other uses, it is also a non-native invasive weed, so please do not plant it/grow it unless you keep it contained. I spreads quickly.

Vicki Z
12-07-2022, 04:01 PM

Pokeberry Pie Filling
(Phytolacca Americana)

What a difference location Makes!!!!!!!
In the South East United states, Pokeberry (Phytolacca americana) is a native perennial plant, harvested for Spring Tonic Poke Sallet, Fall Pokeberry Pie and Poke Jelly, not to mention yarn and fabric dyes.
When we lived in Arkansas, Poke Sallet in the spring was mandatory, and poke berry jelly and poke berry pie in the fall were a greatly anticipated delicacy.
Being "herbal", I dyed a lot of stuff with pokeberries -- fabric and wool, plus my hands :twitcy:

On the opposite side of the United States, specifically Oregon, in the Pacific Northwest, the same Pokeberry plant is a noxious, poisonous, dangerous, invasive weed, that one needs to immediately remove, carefully, while wearing (hazmat) protective coveralls, and a face mask, then dispose of the plant debris in a double bag put into the trash, NEVER to be composted!

It is recommended pokeberry be handled with caution, and don't breathe it, touch it, get juice on your skin -- pokeberry juice is reputed to go through the skin and get into the blood -- NOT GOOD considering my wool dying efforts!

How interesting!
I am researching to try to understand the HUGE difference over the same plant.

CastleQueen5
12-07-2022, 11:17 PM
I want to bookmark this, and see if I have time to make some great cards.

Vicki Z
12-08-2022, 12:14 AM
Hey there, CQ, good to see you.
Hope you can find sometime to make some great cards.
Please join the others on the Lurkers Couch.
There is Peppermint Tea in addition to Mint Tea.
And the Lavender Flower cookies are a real thing! I just baked a batch today.

leydab
12-08-2022, 12:19 PM
I finished my first card, I think...

Indian pipe, also known as ghost plant (Monotropa Uniflora)

Vicki Z
12-08-2022, 02:27 PM
This is AWESOME.
LOVE it.

leydab
12-08-2022, 06:42 PM
Ok, I am done.
I enjoyed this so much, I am thinking about taking a Domestika class in drawing botanicals...
Here are my finished cards.

I will mail them tomorrow.

Vicki Z
12-09-2022, 12:26 AM
AWESOME cards!
Thanks for posting such great inspiration.

What fun that you have decided to take a class in drawing botanicals.
I would LOVE to see some of your class assignments!!!

dnewton972
12-12-2022, 09:57 AM
Please sign me up!

Vicki Z
12-12-2022, 04:26 PM
Welcome dnewton972.
I signed you up.

katiea707
12-12-2022, 07:43 PM
I love this! Sign me up please. I have so many good ideas!

Vicki Z
12-13-2022, 12:18 AM
Welcome katiea707
I signed you up.

Vicki Z
12-20-2022, 09:45 AM
AWESOME cards received from leydab.
Thank you for being so FAST -------
Thank you also for including a hostie cards.
Your cards are so wonderful, I don't know how I shall choose

Vicki Z
12-28-2022, 02:42 AM
Remember, cards for this swap are due IN MY HANDS January 13th.
That is just over two weeks from today, and mail seems to be moving slow with the Christmas holidays, soon to be followed by the New Year holiday.

Please get your cards completed and in the mail, or please let me know if you need to drop out.
Thanks, and I hope you had a lovely holiday this week.

dnewton972
12-28-2022, 06:21 AM
Cards on the way.

Vicki Z
12-29-2022, 11:44 AM
FAB cards, dnewton972.
Thanks for posting such great inspiration.

Vicki Z
01-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Wonderful cards received from dnewton972
Thanks so much for including a hostie card.

Vicki Z
01-08-2023, 03:12 AM
FAB cards received from DocJ29.

Allegrae
01-11-2023, 04:14 AM
My cards mailed Dec. 28. Any sign of them?

Vicki Z
01-11-2023, 07:47 AM
My cards mailed Dec. 28. Any sign of them?

Unfortunately, as of yesterday, there was no sign of your cards, and it is too early for mail today.
I will let you know as soon as they arrive.

Vicki Z
01-11-2023, 08:04 AM
I apologize to all of you who have mailed cards that have not yet arrived.
I will be going out late today to pick up mail in the hopes that I will receive lots and lots of envies in transit.

We have been getting multiple snow/rain/sleet storms to a point that our weather has hit the national weather news, and stores, venders, and transportation delivery people are posting notices to expect delay due to "inclement Midwest weather conditions."

I had a parcel ship from Amazon last Saturday which (according to mail tracking services) arrived at the Amazon carrier just 8 miles from my house. Eight hours later the shipping update (again according to mail tracking) showed the carrier turning around and the package shipping AWAY from me to another carrier 50 miles south of my mailbox due to "inclement weather in the Midwest". It took another 3 days for my order to be delivered to me.

Every year I ask Santa for control over mail delivery, but every year Santa doesn't grant my request. :swoon:

Please be patient.
I anticipate good news and a bag fulla mail today! :jiggy:

Vicki Z
01-13-2023, 04:05 PM
No mail yesterday nor today, and there are still several people who have mailed, but their cards have not yet arrived.
Weather has been bad all across the country, and mail has been greatly delayed.

Along the East coast there is flooding. Along the west coast there is flooding plus mud slides.
I am told mail is neither being picked up nor delivered.

In Midwest there is snow, sleet, rain, ice and wind.
Regardless of the old saying "Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail, shall keep the postmen from their appointed rounds.” (According to Wikipedia, the original saying was spoken about 2500 years ago by the Greek historian, Herodotus.)
This year is an exception. Mail is NOT being delivered.

Hopefully there will be mail tomorrow, and then I will see what the weekend brings.

Vicki Z
01-19-2023, 04:42 AM
FAB cards arrived from Allegrae and Matkitso.

I also received an apologetic note from the post office that due to "inclement East coast weather conditions." mail had been delayed.

This accounts for all swap cards expected for this swap.

I will have returns in the mail shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Allegrae
01-19-2023, 06:36 AM
Very relieved the cards made it! Thanks for the update.

Vicki Z
01-29-2023, 05:38 PM
Returns have been received at their new homes.
YIPPIE!