PDA

View Full Version : Lost/Recovered/Revived Swap -- Due August 1

crazycat
06-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Once more, I seek to host a TRULY CHALLENGING SWAP.

Swap Due Date - August 1
Signup/withdraw date - July 21
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants - unlimited
Swap Medium: Collage
Swap Background:I've been playing around with Found Poetry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_poetry) since the mid-80s and it's never lost its fascination for me. The idea of taking random words and creating order from the chaos has an omnipotent appeal. :cute: Recently, I've created a series of Found Poetry, or FPs, cards that I'm amazingly happy with. Add to this a recent art challenge from Adriayna to use scraps from the trash to create a collage. The result was a little esoteric, but the experience was interesting and challenging. I like to think of it as Recycled Art.:cute:

Put it all together and you get this swap.

Lost/Recovered/Revived

Swap Guidelines:
Players are on the honor system as far as following the guidelines go, but if you follow the guidelines strictly you will certainly be challenged by the experience!

1. Player should use non-organic (i.e. no food stuffs) discarded paper scraps collected after a day of creating art. Setting a paper bag next to your work area and dropping scraps into it works best for me.

2. Player should select a single page of text (vintage or not is player's choice) for this swap.

3. Player should assemble ATCs from collected scraps and selections of text to create a card demonstrating the principals of Found Poetry and Recycled Art.

4. Player can embellish card using any media as long as embellishments do not counter act the effect of Found Poetry and Recycled Art.

Mailing Guidelines:
Inside US: Send a SASE marked with your user name.
Outside the US: Send a SAE marked with your user name and I'll pick up the postage this go round.

Want to Kick:jiggy:Up the Challenge???
If you'd like to boost your experience, send a SASE to me and I will return it to you filled with random scraps from my art table and a page of vintage text. (Outside U.S. Please PM me about this opportunity)

Player List:

crazycat RECEIVED
1.Bright-Spark
2.Maxie23
3.thoughtcrimes
4.Joni Owens
5.mrubyjean
6.MissKoolAid
7.katilady
8.Chronata
9.amyfaerie
10.Ilah Barnes
11.Marla412
12.stellacometa
13.KatieV
14. ruwbl
15. triskele
16. prairiestar 24
17. xraypinkie
18. sashibala
19. mingo
20. entangledartist
21. awmaw
22. indigochicken
23. coffeelatte
24. corrie04
25. rachel

Examples of FP ATCs

Bright-Spark
06-18-2008, 01:37 AM
This is so up my street!

Please sign me up....

maxie23
06-18-2008, 02:20 AM
Will play, if you'll have me in the group.

stillatthetop
06-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Are the scraps supposed to be from just one day of creating? I'm not signing up, yet. If I can get my other commitments met I will be back. I have several envies of leftover stuff that I have been saving from many days/months of creating. Could I just do a "blind" draw and pull out a handful of stuff to challenge myself that way?

crazycat
06-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Could I just do a "blind" draw and pull out a handful of stuff to challenge myself that way?

Yes, that would be perfect. My idea was to have players avoid the temptation of 'pre-selecting scraps' and really experiencing serendipity during the process. :cute:

thoughtcrimes
06-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Oh, I am so all over this idea. I may even geek it up and use scrap from my work (I am an IT nerd). Either that or take you up on your scrap offer. Please may I join? Pretty please?

Joni Owens
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM
What if you don't work with word scraps everyday? I have a drawer full of word, quotes, phrases, etc, I've ripped out of mags, books, papers for future use. Could you take something like that and just grab a handful and use that as your scraps for the day to make these cards?

crazycat
06-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Could you take something like that and just grab a handful and use that as your scraps for the day to make these cards?

As long as the pieces are collected randomly, I think any method will work.

Joni Owens
06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Great!! Put me on the list!!

amyfaerie
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
i absolutely promised myself no more swaps! dammit!

as a poet/English geek, this is right up my alley. i'm also a trash-collector [not by trade, but by hobby], so this combines two of my loves!

crazycat, this is an awesome idea . . . i'm going to see if i can fit this in! i'll be back!

mrubyjean
06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, indeed...I would love to join this swap ~ thanks!

MissKoolAid
06-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll be back too... have to finish some other swaps before but this is definitely interesting.

katilady
06-18-2008, 08:51 PM
OMG!!! I do this ALL the time! Please sign me up! Awesome idea!

Chronata
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
I LOVE the idea behind this swap!

I would like to try my hand at this!
Normally I wouldn't be caught near a collage swap...because I am so bloody awful at collage...

but.... you did say paper scraps...and I have a lot of those! (some doodles, some magazine scraps and painted bits) those could be collaged, right?

crazycat
06-18-2008, 10:01 PM
you did say paper scraps...and I have a lot of those! (some doodles, some magazine scraps and painted bits) those could be collaged, right?

You bet, climb on board and join the party. :D

amyfaerie
06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
aw, hell, chewbacca . . .

i'd like to play, crazycat! :D

[okay, if you've not heard patton oswalt's bit about nick nolte as han solo, that first line makes NO sense. i'm not calling you chewbacca, cc.]

amyfaerie
06-19-2008, 02:16 PM
i actually dug magazine pages out of my trash bin last night and put together my backgrounds . . . i don't end up with a lot of paper scraps, except for my leftovers from using magazine photos. however, they look pretty good!

Ilah Barnes
06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't ususally do collage, but this one has really intreged me and I would like to sign up.

I am not sure how I want to do scraps yet as I don't do much collage. I have some fiber scraps for when I did crochet and some bits of paper for when I attempted collage, but they are not recent. So maybe I will do the random grab thing as to sort through all of it would not seem fair.

Or maybe I will get some junk mail with intresting pictures tonight and I will use that.

I have been playing around with paper scraps at work and almost have words select for all but one of my cards.

Marla412
06-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Sounds like fun! Sign me up please?

stellacometa
06-20-2008, 06:00 AM
May I join, please?

Ilah Barnes
06-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Free form poetry is okay isn't it? I didn't really find rhyming words on my page and it doesn't follow any formal poetry structures.

I have my words picked out and I drew some random papers out of the draw and some random fibers from my left over yarn drawer. I will probably also use a little marker or gel pen or paint or chalk to embellish the cards.

crazycat
06-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Free form poetry is okay isn't it? I didn't really find rhyming words on my page and it doesn't follow any formal poetry structures.

I have my words picked out and I drew some random papers out of the draw and some random fibers from my left over yarn drawer. I will probably also use a little marker or gel pen or paint or chalk to embellish the cards.

Sounds perfect!

amyfaerie
06-20-2008, 06:52 PM
crazycat, i worked on mine last night . . . i do LOVE found poetry. here's one, and the rest are in the gallery!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=19977&w=l

i'm gonna mail them on saturday [this is an edit], cause i got them all packed up!

KatieV
06-20-2008, 08:04 PM
I'd like to play too!

amyfaerie
06-20-2008, 08:06 PM
oh yeah, katie! :D

crazycat
06-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Awesome work, Amyfaerie! I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on them...um, I mean I'm looking forward to having them arrive for the swap. :P

Russell
06-21-2008, 09:49 AM
I was not going to sign up for any new swaps for a while, but this one sounds so challenging I have to join in. I'd also love to try it with some surprise scraps if you would please PM me with your address I'll get my SASE out to you right away.

Ilah Barnes
06-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I worked on my this weekend and I am just waiting for the glue to dry.

I used the random grab method, since I don't do collage on a regular basis. I wound up using something from all the paper scraps I grabbed. I grabbed 3 random leftover yarn bits and used 2 of them. I actually think I like how the color combinations worked better with the random method that with other collage attempts I made where I put a lot of thought into what paper and embellishments I used. I guess that doesn't say much about my abilities to pick things.:embarrassed:

I think it is because I have a tendancy (which I am currently trying to get over) of being too conservative in my color combinations - like matching pink and pink with pink. To borrow a term I heard on Project Runway, they were very "matchy-matchy." This forced my to try combinations I might not otherwise try.

I would like to discuss found poetry with people, should I do that in this thread or start a thread in the lounge?

crazycat
06-23-2008, 02:42 PM
I think it is because I have a tendancy (which I am currently trying to get over) of being too conservative in my color combinations - like matching pink and pink with pink. To borrow a term I heard on Project Runway, they were very "matchy-matchy." This forced my to try combinations I might not otherwise try.

I would like to discuss found poetry with people, should I do that in this thread or start a thread in the lounge?

I have that same issue with color. I read an article suggesting creating a box with color swatches and then closing your eyes before picking three out. Then you can discard one or try to make all three work together. I've been pretty surprised at how attractive some of the result have been.

I'm good with talking FP here, how does everyone else feel? I suppose if it overwhelms the thread, we can move it elsewhere.

Ilah Barnes
06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
I was curious what other people were using for their documents, or what type of documents. I used a page from the recycle box at work. The document itself was not particularly poetic - it was talking about requirements for submitting trade proposals. It was challanging to get some poetry out of it, but fun. It did not have any flowery phrases so it was all in how I put the words together.

After I have selected all my words I started thinking about found poetry while I was reading other "disposable" things.

I have a little booklet from a play I went to at Shakespeare theatre which talks about the plays being performed and the life of Shakespeare. It contains such poetic phrases as: "beautified with our feathers" "dedicated their lives" "fallen to the depths of obscurity" "the amazing rediscovery" "lost to the ages" "the specter that haunted and illuminated" "all too happy" "spirit of inescapable history" "began to shape the future"

I have thought of doing some cards based on it, but it seems almost like cheating because it is already so poetic. Maybe that is just being silly. I was also looking through some Prevention magazine, which has articles about improving your mind and body, and it has some pretty flowery phrases as well. So I wonder the same thing about it as well.

KatieV
06-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I used a page from Through the Looking Glass. I picked it because the font was big enough for me to cut out - lots of my other pages had teeny font.

stellacometa
06-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't have much access to English text here, so I had a limited choice -either one of my husband's outdated software development books, or a copy of Martha Stewart's Living magazine. I went with that one (my cards mostly come from a "sick glass treating" article), although I guess it would have been interesting to use a software text ;)
And I found it difficult to rearrange the phrase in a way that made any sense at all. I guess in Italian it would have been much easier.

This is my question about found poetry -do you feel the need to have it making sense, in some way? Or is it just my Virgo side taking over me? ;)

By the way, my cards are done and will be in the mail tomorrow morning :)
Still no access to a scanner (or anything), so I am not able to show them to you, sorry.

Ilah Barnes
06-24-2008, 09:56 AM
My cards make sense to me - I don't know if they will to other people.:)

I tried to string words/phrases together in a way that made a complete thought.

I also wanted to point out something I noticed after I did my set. Sometimes you can find good groups of words by going down instead of across. I notice these more in writing done in small columns.

An example:

Original paragraph:
Initiated in 1983 with 500 students in New York City,
the competition has provided more than 200,000
young people with a chance to explore the beauty
and depth of Shakespeare's art as well as the rich and
complex themes in his lyric and theatrical materpieces.

word combinations made by going down (or down and across):

young people with
depth of
complex themes

provided
a chance to explore
art

the competions has
young people with
depth

Initiated
the competition
with chance

explore the beauty
as well as the rich
masterpieces

MissKoolAid
06-24-2008, 11:06 AM
That's a great trick Ilah. I'll have to try that.

Chronata
06-24-2008, 01:47 PM
ooh Ilah! That's very cool poetry!
and wow...amyfaerie! I am in love with your card!

I don't usually do collage...so please forgive my beginner's fumbling with this medium...I did try by absolute best, I swear!

But Holy Cow!! This really was quite a challenge!
I searched the paper recycling bag for the week...and came up with hardly anything to go on!
I am pretty sure I made this whole thing extra hard for myself!

Luckily there was some old mail...including a wildlife catalogue and an Entertainment Weekly...

But to further show my inexperience...I chose for my text...a page of classified ads from the local paper!
and these were for selling boats and campers! Arrrrghhh...I must have been struck by the Momentarily Insane Fairy!
How the heck do you make poetry from... THAT?

Anyway...I tried my damndest...and thanks to a want ad on the same page for a jailhouse worker...I created some Found Poetry that actually almost makes sense!

crazycat
06-24-2008, 04:32 PM
First, everyone is doing fab work and I'm blown away that many of you are saying you've never done this before! Trust me, you are all on target with this challenge.

Second, when I first heard of FP in one of my literature classes, I recall that either one of my friends or the instructor made some comments about FP being 'subconscious poetry' The idea was to find 'meaningful' words (apparently meaningful to you...) and arrange them to have a context. My first ever FP was creating from a torn up love note I found between the book stacks in the library. I read it aloud in my lit class and everyone was stunned by the powerful message that came through, even though the words had been re-arranged.

you say
say
love me

I
say
love me
love me

can't love
you
can't

Ilah, I don't see why you couldn't use the phrases you found. To me, it is more important to 'remold' the words and phrases and give them new meaning.

amyfaerie
06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
i totally LOVE the using of the classified ads for your text! very cool results!

i am really looking forward to seeing everyone's . . . FP is a really cool way to force oneself to look at our language [and how we use it] in an entirely different way. WOOT! i know i'm going to love my returns from this one!

thoughtcrimes
06-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Chronata, those are fabulous! You did a great job on them. I would be glad to get one of yours in the swap!
I am using a printout of an email for my text, but am struggling with the background images. I like the challenge of using limited supplies. It makes me think a lot more about what I am doing, rather than just look for something that is already in the state I want it. This is really fun...

katilady
06-24-2008, 08:20 PM
*getting inspired*

ApostolicPioneer
06-24-2008, 09:28 PM
This is an awesome idea! I think I'm going to have to play around with this before I commit.

Ilah Barnes
06-25-2008, 09:11 AM
I found all those neat phrases after I had already choosen words from another document and worked on my cards. So my originals are done now, just a a little double check to make sure the glue is holding.

However, I will probably make more found poetry cards since I have found all these good words. I will probably do the random grab method as well. They will not be part of the swap (since I have already done my swap cards) but I will put them up for trade when I am finished.

Sometimes I get really into a swap theme and keep making cards for it after it is over.

I may have to rethink my "not really a collage person" attitude to art. Maybe it was just a matter of finding the right type of collage. I have done collage a few times but for the most part didn't really get into it. I only do it once a while if the theme really interests me. I think this is actually the first time I have really gotten into it. But I still am mostly into drawing, so I am not sure how often I will be doing it.

Marla412
06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
My cards are going out in the mail today. I'm uploading them into my gallery if anyone wants a sneak peek. I made 8, but will send 3 for swap and 1 for our crazycat hostess!! Not sure which 4 will go out - it'll be a surprise!!

crazycat
06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I may have to rethink my "not really a collage person" attitude to art.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: You don't know how happy that makes me!

Ilah Barnes
06-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I am facinated by the idea of what words or phrases might be meaningful to you might not be meaningful to other people. Certain phrase stand out in passageways as being more poetic. I wonder how much that varies from person to person. As a fun experiment, read the following except [this is from the Baen books free on-line library] and just list the two or three "favorite" phrases. You don't have to string them together or make a poem.

For his part, Amos Stephens paid as little attention as possible to the young fop he had so grandly announced. The child was a disgrace to the honorable name of his mother's family. The cravat was bad enough, and the brightly patterned brocade jacket, more appropriate for a bordello than a meeting with the Empress of Man, was worse. But the hair! Stephens had served twenty years in Her Majesty's Navy before entering the Palace Service Corps. The only difference between his years in the Navy and his years in the Palace was the way his close-cropped curls had shifted from midnight black to silver. The mere sight of the butt-length golden hair of the farcical dandy Empress Alexandra's younger son had become always drove the old butler absolutely mad.

The Empress' office was remarkably small and spare, with a broad desk no larger than that of a middle-level manager in any of the star-spanning corporations of Earth. The appointments were simple but elegant; the chairs sensible, but elaborately hand-crafted and covered in exquisite hand-stitching. Most of the pictures were old master originals. The one exception was the most famous. "The Empress in Waiting" was a painting from life of Miranda MacClintock during the "Dagger Years," and the artist, Trachsler, had captured his subject perfectly. Her eyes were open and smiling, showing the world the image of an ingenuous Terran subject. A loyal upholder of the Dagger Lords. In other words, a filthy collaborator. But if you stared at the painting long enough, a chill crept over your skin and the eyes slowly changed. To the eyes of a predator.

Roger spared the painting one bare glance, then looked away. All of the MacClintocks lived under the shadow of the old biddy, long dead though she was. As the merest—and least satisfactory—slip of that lineage, he had all the shadows he could stand.

My choices: from midnight black to silver
star-spanning
lived under the shadow

First, everyone is doing fab work and I'm blown away that many of you are saying you've never done this before! Trust me, you are all on target with this challenge.

Second, when I first heard of FP in one of my literature classes, I recall that either one of my friends or the instructor made some comments about FP being 'subconscious poetry' The idea was to find 'meaningful' words (apparently meaningful to you...) and arrange them to have a context. My first ever FP was creating from a torn up love note I found between the book stacks in the library. I read it aloud in my lit class and everyone was stunned by the powerful message that came through, even though the words had been re-arranged.

you say
say
love me

I
say
love me
love me

can't love
you
can't

Ilah, I don't see why you couldn't use the phrases you found. To me, it is more important to 'remold' the words and phrases and give them new meaning.

MissKoolAid
06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
My choices: from midnight black to silver
star-spanning
lived under the shadow

Here are my choices:
a disgrace to the honorable name
Her eyes were open and smiling
he had all the shadows he could stand

thoughtcrimes
06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Here are my choices:
a disgrace to the honorable name
Her eyes were open and smiling
he had all the shadows he could stand

the ones that stand out for me are:

from midnight black to silver
a chill crept over your skin
all the shadows he could stand

crazycat
06-25-2008, 06:34 PM
My choices:

the brightly patterned brocade jacket
remarkably small and spare
ingenuous
under the shadow

Post Script
I really like Thoughtcrimes choices.

KatieV
06-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Fun, Ilah! I choose:

so grandly announced
captured his subject perfectly
a filthy collaborator
eyes of a predator
one bare glance

MissKoolAid
06-25-2008, 07:50 PM
I made 3 cards (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?u=726&c=9). Not sure those will be the ones I'll be sending in because I want to do more cards like this. The text is from "The house at Pooh corner."

stellacometa
06-25-2008, 08:01 PM
LOL! Fun game :)
My choices would be:
The child was a disgrace
simple but elegant
...has captured his subject perfectly
In other words, a filthy collaborator

katilady
06-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I made 3 cards (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?u=726&c=9). Not sure those will be the ones I'll be sending in because I want to do more cards like this. The text is from "The house at Pooh corner."

Those are fantastic! if you don't use them for the swap I wanna trade!

triskele
06-25-2008, 10:32 PM
I am SO intrigued by the fabulous work people have been posting!
May I join?

Ilah Barnes
06-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Here are the pictures of my cards. The words turned out a bit blurry so I will repeat them here.

rose background and frame picture:
calling
all
who choose
to trade
at no cost
via the Internet

girl with cake:
The suggest
step-by-step instructions
are not required,
consider the entire
Content and Form

frogs:
Help
may be found
through the
pool of
assistance

thread flower card:
be concidered
dedicated
help overcome
constraints or barriers

xraypinky
06-29-2008, 07:31 PM
I want to join! The found poetry is new to me, but has alot of impact in just a few lines, interesting.
Great challenge - thanks for hosting this!

crazycat
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
All are welcomed here.
(crazycat pulls out her soap box and climbs up)
*ahem*:wubclub: "Bring me your lost, your lonely, your I'm in need of a challenge....
(KatieV enters and gives the box a kick, knocking crazycat over)

KatieV
06-30-2008, 11:51 AM
LOL!! Hope you didn't get hurt when you fell off that box! :laugh:

crazycat
06-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Boom!

My mailbox overflowed today. I'm sure the postal guy gave me a dirty look...:cool:

MissKoolAid
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Ok, I made 4 more cards and I think I'll be sending those in (1 extra for the hostess.) The other 3 I had done before will be available for trade after this swap is done. Check out my gallery to see the new cards. http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?u=726

katilady
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
I have 2 done!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=21714&w=l

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=21712&w=l

sashibala
07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
(*sighs*) I need to stop looking at the open swaps because this one is just too delicious to pass up. ;)

I have all sorts of fun pages to randomly choose from for this, though, and this will let me play with my collage work for a change. :)

May I join, please?

amyfaerie
07-01-2008, 05:05 PM
kati, these are beautiful! i love them!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=21714&w=l

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=21712&w=l[/QUOTE]

katilady
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks Amy!

katilady
07-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Last 2:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=21829&w=l

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=21828&w=l

sashibala
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I challenged myself and randomly chose an insecticide pamphlet from my recycle bin to use for the words. It was maybe too challenging. Or maybe I have a broken sense of humor (as my husband is always telling me). :) Either way, it was pretty limiting since it liked to repeat itself. The papers, etc. I had on my crafting table from other projects.

The queen card says, "180 ft below ground/the queen starts to/fire ants."
The two ant card says, "Indoors and outdoors/above the ground and below/ants can concentrate."
The treats card says, "People used to be ready for lawn-invading treats."

katilady
07-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Your cards are hilarious Sashibala!

katilady
07-01-2008, 11:45 PM
I had an easy time of it, I used a book page of someone going off and analyzing Jung! Got some great words!

MissKoolAid
07-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Forgot to say I mailed my cards yesterday.

katilady
07-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I mailed my cards on Thurs! There is an extra for our host--pick your fave!

crazycat
07-05-2008, 08:20 AM
FYI, I'm gallivanting around NY state, visitin' folk so I'm only checking my email sporadically. :jimlad:

katilady
07-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Hope you're having fun!

coffeelatte
07-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I have no idea how I missed this swap until now, since I've been admiring cards in the gallery.

I'd like to sign up, too...

awmaw
07-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I will confess, I have been lurking. This swap idea is sooo intriguing. But before I committed I wanted to play around a bit. How addicting! I hope you will accept me into this swap because I have finished one card, am working on a second, and can't wait to start more.

entangledartist
07-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I would love love love to participate... I do this type of poetry anyway, just flipping through a stack of books.. :) but to put it in art card form would be so much fun! I would love to join this theme for my first swap experience :)

Ilah Barnes
07-06-2008, 10:51 AM
a clearer picture of my cards

I will be mailing on Monday. I was holding on to them while trying to ge better quality pictures of my cards. You can actually read the words on them now.

MissKoolAid
07-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Those are great Ilah! I especially like the text on the first one! So appropriate!

corrie04
07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Sign me up please! I can't resist any more.

(Why do we always lie to ourselves, when we say "no more swaps for a while." Well, I guess 8 hours counts!)

Ilah Barnes
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I mailed my cards out today.

coffeelatte
07-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't know if these will be the ones I end up sending, but here's what I did on Sunday night. Fun to put those bits and pieces from magazines and scrapbook waste to use...

I have a bunch of old library books that are collections from Century Magazine going back to the late 1800s. I used those for the text, and there are some great expressions. If anyone is interested in a random few pages, I'd happily send some off to you ... pm me...

MissKoolAid
07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Don't know if these will be the ones I end up sending, but here's what I did on Sunday night. Fun to put those bits and pieces from magazines and scrapbook waste to use...

I have a bunch of old library books that are collections from Century Magazine going back to the late 1800s. I used those for the text, and there are some great expressions. If anyone is interested in a random few pages, I'd happily send some off to you ... pm me...

Those are beautiful! I especially like the one with the Bingo background.

awmaw
07-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Wonderful cards, coffeelatte!

Rachel
07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Please sign me up :)

crazycat
07-09-2008, 08:32 AM
*wobble wobble* I'm back, but I'm still caught up in my PVT (post vacation trauma). When I came home I had a pile of mail on my table so I've updated the player list with what I sorted out last night, but I can't be sure I didn't miss someone.

I'll be scraping up scraps today to mail out those those who sent SASE, so please be patient. While I was on my trip I made out like a bandit and have a whole bunch of cool new things to share with folk.

But at the moment, this kitty is dog-tired:sleep:

katilady
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I hope the trip was fun!

corrie04
07-12-2008, 10:38 PM
My cards are finished! Wow... I loved doing these. The found poetry was REALLY challenging, but I did it! :)
I included a hostess card, so please take your pick.

Please PM me your mailing address!

katilady
07-13-2008, 01:18 AM
I think they're all great, but that 1st one's a killer!

awmaw
07-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Love your cards, corrie04!

corrie04
07-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks Katilady & awmaw!

awmaw
07-13-2008, 02:57 PM
My cards are done and I had a blast making them. Found Poetry is my new favorite thing. Thanks crazycat! Please pm me your address so I may get them in the mail.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=24167&w=m http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=24165&w=m http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=24163&w=m http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=24161&w=m http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=24159&w=m

katilady
07-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Ooooooh! Love the colors awmaw!

MissKoolAid
07-13-2008, 09:50 PM
I love them Awmaw!

coffeelatte
07-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Amaw - fabulous cards, and some intense wording.

Corrie - You've posted some great ones, too!

maxie23
07-14-2008, 05:59 AM
May I have a mailing address and my atcs will be on their way, please.

crazycat
07-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Everyone is creating the most fantastic cards.

I love it when a challenge comes together...:P

Rachel
07-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Crazycat,

Below are my three cards I'm sending tomorrow. When I looked through my trash, I had not done anything with pictures, so I started to panic a little at first because everyone else had images in their cards. So I decided to focus on the love story of Adabelle.

The first card has the image transfer of a phone book page representing Adabelle looking for Oscar; the second the possibility of change with time using a stamped timepiece; the third convinced she will find him in her life so I used scraps of trees since they live a lifetime (unless you live where I do where we cut down our trees to build more allotments). I kept rooting for Adabelle to find him for sure, but it wasn't meant to be revealed.

Loved, loved, loved this swap!! I'll include a second new set for you as a gift!

crazycat
07-15-2008, 06:43 PM
So I decided to focus on the love story of Adabelle.

Rach, those are fab! I love the idea!

Mingo, all is fair in love and FP:wub:

katilady
07-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Those are really great Mingo! I just adore the dog one!

crazycat
07-17-2008, 10:48 AM
MissKoolAid had a great question and I wanted to share:

Hi Cathy,
I was just wondering when exactly do you give iTraders to players in your swap. I know you received my cards and since I haven't received feedback yet, I was wondering if A: you forgot or B: you wait until you swap the cards.

Good question.
I wait until the day I do the swap out, then rate everyone at once. Sometimes I give "Best of Show" type feedback -- like "1st to arrive!" or "Longest Distance!" or "Most Original Interpretation!" Just because I like to be different.;)

coffeelatte
07-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Mingo - Love those cards!

Crazycat - Can you please send me your address so I can mail out to you?

mrubyjean
07-18-2008, 01:07 PM
OK, my cards are finished!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=25079&w=m http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=25080&w=m http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=25081&w=m http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/file.php?n=25082&w=m

Mailed : Tuesday, July 22nd

katilady
07-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Those are so cool! Love the last one especially!

triskele
07-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Wow, I'm really having a creativity block with this one. I hope I can get my cards done in time!

Bright-Spark
07-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Mine are ready to go, just need the address........

awmaw
07-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Bright-Spark, your cards are wonderful.

katilady
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
So pretty Bright-Spark!

crazycat
07-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm back-ish. Internet/cable service has been off/on since last THURSDAY. They've sent someone out TW:arghh:CE this week to bang on it with a rock (or something, I SWEAR!) HOWEVER, the good ol' USPS is working just fine and I've updated the player list to reflect the wonderfully impressive number of received:yes:.

mrubyjean
07-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Crazycat ~ I don't see my name on the list on the front page. Did my cards show up yet? Thanks!

crazycat
07-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Crazycat ~ I don't see my name on the list on the front page. Did my cards show up yet? Thanks!
Oops. I deleted your name. Sorry. I've fixed it now...:geek:

triskele
07-27-2008, 04:55 PM
I finally finished my cards! I had some trouble with this theme, I think because I don't usually use text on my cards, just images. Trying to marry up words & images was challenging for me, but I really love the cards I came up with - it's hard to let them go, LOL!
I'm hoping there'll be a part 2 for this swap, but even if there isn't, I'm going to keep working with this technique for practice.
If anyone would like a sneak peek, I uploaded the cards to my gallery!

MissKoolAid
07-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Fun cards!

crazycat
07-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Part two? Hmmmmmm....:cute:

katilady
07-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Part two? Hmmmmmm....:cute:

I think you should host a chunky book with this theme! I'd sign up in a heartbeat!

crazycat
07-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Ooohhh...I vote for a part two!

It might be too complicated, but maybe we could swap our "scraps" amongst ourselves somehow

Hmmmm...that is an interesting idea. I'm going to think on the best and fastest way to do something like that.

I've never hosted aa chunky book swap. Let me take a look and see if I can handle it.

KatieV
07-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah - using someone else's stuff is a lot different than using your own. I did run into some older scraps of mine that I had shoved somewhere, and since I hadn't seen them in so long, they were like new to me! LOL :laugh:

Somewhere there's a thread where people send envies of scraps to each other - maybe you should try it!

katilady
07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Yea the PIF paper scraps thread! I have received so much yummy stuff from that thread! I have a gallon baggie filled!

Joni Owens
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
This swap was really a lot of fun, once I got started on the first card, the rest just came together easily. I hope we do another or a chunky page-that would give you more room to really work on some neat things.

katilady
07-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Agreed Joni! And imagine if all your chunkies had to be 'found' too??? FUN!!!!

thoughtcrimes
08-01-2008, 07:23 AM
OK, I am joining the chorus of voices pleading for a chunky pages version!

Here are my cards for this swap:
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=27524
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=27523
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=27521
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=27520

Also, in a blatant and shameless attempt to win brownie points with our wonderful hostess, I have posted a flickr photo set showing the process of creating the cards from start to finish.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgolo/sets/72157606480678228/

:eek:

stellacometa
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
chunky or atcs, I'm in for the second round!! :)

katilady
08-01-2008, 10:08 AM
So awesome thoughtcrimes!

crazycat
08-01-2008, 05:45 PM
in a blatant and shameless attempt to win brownie points Is it not enough for me to host the swap? Now I need to bake brownies as well?:cute:

thoughtcrimes
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
The role of swap host is one that requires many skills. Baking is not yet one of them, but if you do happen to be near an oven, well.......lets just say brownies are never refused in my household.
Extra postage would of course be provided.

crazycat
08-02-2008, 11:37 AM
My husband, his face full of worry, just hurried in to the room and said "The postman said this had to be delivered by noon. What is it?" Puzzled, I looked at the address on the express mail package he was holding, didn't recognize it as something from a family member, and then a little light went on inside my head. "I think it's a swap," I said. I opened it and found thoughtcrimes' lovely, lovely trades inside.

For her efforts at being expedient, I hearby declare thoughtcrimes
DUCHESS OF FOUND POETRY
All hail thoughtcrimes, Lady of the Hour Glass and Patron of Postal Privileges, Privy to the Queen's Brownies
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Everyone grovel appropriately.

KatieV
08-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Hehehe, grovel grovel ;)

katilady
08-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Here's me groveling: :P

thoughtcrimes
08-02-2008, 03:07 PM
LOL! You guys are too funny. I did not want to hold up the swap, but the cards were not drying in time to get them out. That is why I figured I would add the little photo essay on flickr to divert attention from my lateness. That plan obviously did not work, as my attempt to get caught up is now highlighted for all to see!
Oh well, it was fun and I am sorry if I scared your husband. Please send my apologies!!

crazycat
08-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I am sorry if I scared your husband. Please send my apologies!!

Aw, he needs a good scare every now and then to remind him how happy he is will our otherwise dull and boring life...:cool:

crazycat
08-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Just another FYI, our house guest is gone and I'm free to runabout in a chaotic way and scream, "Where did I put that?!?" :) I will do the swaps tonight and take everything to the PO tomorrow. Overseas will go out Monday when the PO opens again.

I'll post iTrader ratings when I'm done with the swapping.

xraypinky
08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Hooray! I am really excited about getting these returns!

katilady
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
In am excited too!

crazycat
08-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Oooh whoo! This will be a fun wait! I live pretty close to CrazyCat - I'll just BET that I'm NOT the first one to get my cards....

I don't know, Mingo, maybe I should just drive them over...

Whew! Let me tell you, this has been some kind of swap! Yesterday I realized that the trades I made for this swap had disappeared along with my art box. :( So I created new trades so I didn't have to miss out on my own swap! Tonight I started doing iTraders and wow...there sure are a lot of people in this swap. I only made it through the first third before my fingers started cramping up. ;)

katilady
08-11-2008, 12:15 AM
But just think of all the iTrader you get back!

thoughtcrimes
08-11-2008, 10:33 AM
So they never found your artbox, when they finally tracked down the car? How awful. I hope you wrote them a sternly worded letter!

crazycat
08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I hope you wrote them a sternly worded letter!

Sternly worded...:realmad:...yes, you could say that. *sigh* It's still hard for me to believe all that stuff is gone. I'm slowly putting together another art box, but it's not going to be the same. :embarrassed: I'm such an art geek. Wait, is that an oxymoron?

I'm almost done with the iTraders. Five more to go. My fingers are taking a beating. Why did all of you have to be so clever and talented? It so much easier to cut-n-paste "Thanks for playing" than it is to write "Wow! You did a fantastic job!" over and over and over...:cute:

crazycat
08-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Finally, all the iTraders have been posted. Whew. I think my pinkies are cramping...:wideeyed:

crazycat
08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
All swaps are mailed now. Thanks to everyone!!

But, I apologize in advance for those of you with swaps that went out today. I thought I was going to have time to mail them yesterday, but as it turned out I spent 90% of yesterday in Kentucky. If I had known I would be sitting around Ft. Knox for hours and hours, I would have brought the swaps with me and mailed them from the base PO. :daydreaming: Humph.

MissKoolAid
08-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Can't wait to see the returns!

thoughtcrimes
08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I am looking forward to seeing the returns, although I must say this is one swap where the making was so much fun, the returns are just frosting on the cake!
If anyone starts a second round or (please ,please) a chunky book swap, PM me so I don't miss out! I don't always get to check the new swaps ever day. In fact, sometimes I avoid looking because I find it too tempting.
I keep looking at bottle caps, feathers, twigs, etc and thinking "Found Poetry Chunky Book!".
Yes, I am ever so slightly deranged.:twitcy::twitcy:

katilady
08-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the returns, although I must say this is one swap where the making was so much fun, the returns are just frosting on the cake!
If anyone starts a second round or (please ,please) a chunky book swap, PM me so I don't miss out! I don't always get to check the new swaps ever day. In fact, sometimes I avoid looking because I find it too tempting.
I keep looking at bottle caps, feathers, twigs, etc and thinking "Found Poetry Chunky Book!".
Yes, I am ever so slightly deranged.:twitcy::twitcy:

Oh I so agree with everything you said!

I would host a chunky book swap but am too new to hosting yet. But, if no one does by the time I can I def will!

crazycat
08-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm seriously thinking about hosting a chunky book version of this swap. I plan to discuss it with a friend tomorrow and make my final decision. If I do host it, I will probably post the swap after August 25th, that's the day my daughter moves into her dorm room and before then everything will be chaos in the house. :embarrassed: Pages would probably be due October 1

Rachel
08-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I'd join in a second, Crazycat!!

MissKoolAid
08-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I'll definitely join the chunky version of this if you host it!

katilady
08-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Me as well.

Bright-Spark
08-17-2008, 06:44 PM
me too please!!!

xraypinky
08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi! I got some amazing cards today! I got returns from: thoughtcrimes, triskele, and Rachel. This was my favorite swap I have done on this site, and the returns were just awesome. Thanks for the challenge and for everyone stretching beyond their norm.

crazycat
08-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm ready to take the plunge. KatieV convinced me that hosting a chunky book swap will not adversely affect my sanity. :goofy: I'll be posting swap details at the end of August and pages won't be due until the first week in October.

awmaw
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
I am glad to hear that you will be hosting a chunky book swap, crazycat. Can't wait!

katilady
08-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Yay!!!!!

awmaw
08-20-2008, 05:42 PM
I received my cards today. I have wonderful cards from coffeelatte, Marla412, and Prairiestar24. This swap was challenging and so much fun. Thanks crazycat for hosting.

corrie04
08-20-2008, 08:25 PM
I received my cards today from xray pinky, katilady, and maxie23! Thank you everyone. I'm off to leave rep points and an itrader! This was a great swap.

Joni Owens
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Great swap Crazycat! I love this idea, love the "found poetry" thanks for hosting and thanks to Bright-Spark, Indigo Chicken, and Amyfaerie for your wonderful cards.

I'm going to give the chunky page idea a LOT of thought.

katilady
08-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I received wonderful cards from: crazycat, triskele, and xraypinky! Thanks so much! n an extra thank you to crazy cat for host one of the best swaps yet!

KatieV
08-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I got my cards today! Thanks for hosting, Cathy! And thanks to Awmaw, Prairiestar24, and Ruwbl for great ATCs! :jiggy:

Marla412
08-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Thursday (8/21) I received AWESOME returns from Coffeelatte, Corrie04, and Maxie23. They are all soooooooooo beautiful!! Thanks to you all and to Crazycat for hosting. I've left iTrader and rep!!

Rachel
08-23-2008, 10:16 PM
I also received stunning cards from KatieV, Sashibala, and the lovely CrazyCat! I can't wait until the chunky book page comes along!!

Off to leave rep and iTrader.

crazycat
08-23-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm not particularly superstitious, but I have to say several things have gone wrong with this swap and I'm starting to feel a bit hexed. :goofy:

Today I had my daughter clean her junk out of the backseat of the car and she found several of the overseas return envelopes which had fallen between the seats. After banging my head a few times, I rushed them over to the post office and mailed them using the APO. Unfortunately, I didn't write down who the returns belonged to, so I guess if you receive your returns really, really late then you'll know your were one of the unlucky ones. :sad: Forgive me, I don't mean to be such a brainless idiot.:cry:

MissKoolAid
08-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Things happen. Life happens. I'm sure those people will just be happy to get their returns and not have them lost in the "sad world of orphan letters and packages."

Bright-Spark
08-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Yes, don't give yourself a hard time. We will all be happy to get the returns, whenever they turn up!

coffeelatte
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Crazycat - It's all going ot be OK...I've had a crazy year with some of my mail...so hang in there!

I received cards from Katilady (Femme Fatale), Maxie23 (Various Opinions) and Corie04 (Hidden Plans).

Terrific swap, and I will have to check the chunky book posting when you're ready!

Thanks again for a wonderful theme to work to...it was fun and challenging!

thoughtcrimes
08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I was feeling very sorry for myself because everyone was posting that they got their returns, and I was still waiting and waiting for mine! Turns out my son had brought them in with a stack of other mail that was not put in the 'usual' place. In the stack of misplaced mail I found the returns from this swap, a matchbox shrine PIF, and a check. Woo Hoo!
Of course, now that I have a chance to post, I don't have the cards to say whose I received, but will edit later with that info.

Thanks all
CrazyCat- even if it seems like things are going crazy sometimes, remember we love you and most of us (well, me for sure) have similar stories of plans gone awry.

triskele
08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I really love the cards I got back from this swap! Thanks for:

"Made You Look" from Rachel
"Our Own Path" by Thoughtcrimes
and
"Is Your Number....37" from Sashibala - LOL!!

Awesome work everyone!!
And thanks so much to our wonderful hostess!! I'll definitely be using this technique in the future!

mrubyjean
08-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Amazing cards received today from stellacometa, Ilah Barnes and Chronata! And thanks to Crazycat for hosting such a creative swap!

crazycat
08-26-2008, 01:59 AM
I was feeling very sorry for myself because everyone was posting that they got their returns, and I was still waiting and waiting for mine! Turns out my son had brought them in with a stack of other mail

Oooooo That happened to me once when I was doing a book swap.

thoughtcrimes
08-26-2008, 03:01 PM
So besides the lovely scraps sent by crazycat (George Herbert FTW!), I got cards from KatieV, Rachel, and Sashibila. If I were more organized, I would have known this days ago!

Bright-Spark
08-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I got my cards, yeh!!!:D

Love my cards from stellacometa, Mingo and Indigo Chicken!!

Great swap - thanks so much crazycat.