PDA

View Full Version : Another Fabulous Collage-a-thon, Feb 13-15

HHC
01-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Mark your calendars for another fabulous collage-a-thon over Valentines weekend, February 13 - 15, 2009.

It's open to everyone, and is open themed.

Start time (in your time zone - when your clock says 5:00 pm Start) February 13 at 5:00 pm
End time (in your time zone) February 15, 2009 - 11:59 pm

We'll open the official thread a few days before the CAT, with details on how to post your pictures to the thread, etc.

We hope to see you there!

Chardonnay1965
01-13-2009, 03:33 AM
ooohh sounds fun..:D:D

adifferentstory
01-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Great news.

JoyFlower
01-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Hooray! I'm looking forward to it. :) Thanks, HHC!

coffeelatte
01-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm making a list, checking it twice, not gonna miss CAT again...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....(that's me humming)

Thanks for the heads-up. It gives me plenty of time to gather my resources and plan for a big weekend of collaging.

BekahStargazing
01-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Can't wait to try this out!
I'll have my adhesive ready! :D

goatgoddess
01-13-2009, 11:19 AM
very cool - got this thread marked and can't wait :jiggy:

sweetest-sin
01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
WHEN ITS OVER CAN WE HAVE a "cat gallery please , no chitter chatter just piccies

HHC
01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
sweetest-sin, can you please be more specific? Personally I think that a little bit of chatter is fun... and too much chatter gets distracting in an a-thon. I love lots of posts with awesome art, and don't like having to go through pages of stuff to find the art. But that's just me. :) Is that anywhere close to what you mean? Or am I just rambling again. :)

goatgoddess
01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah I like a little chatter (helps to keep the thread up top too) but I try to keep it down and post with pics when I do chatter.

Dadreemer
01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
A Flikr gallery in the first post, with a link to this thread? That way you can still chat but see all the cool cards in a gallery. Just a thought.

coffeelatte
01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Or maybe we could get a gallery post in the "Swap Gallery" area? I'd be happy to coordinate that if you don't want to HHC.

If each of you would tell me what your favorite card is that you create during CAT I will incorporate that into a Swap Gallery sheet. And then, maybe we can also nominate our favorite card from another person from the weekend. I'd send that to our wonderful admin and they could post for posterity..

If we did a Flickr gallery we could post every CAT to that same spot in the future. I admin several groups over there and could help get that set up, too!

katilady
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Well, if all you cool people are playing I may just pop my head in and see what's going on. Frankly I LOVE the chatter and am a big chatter offender. It's not worth CATing without it. I look in people's gallery's to see their cards.

nanner
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
(The Queen of Chatter speaks: ) I agree with Kati, the chatter is part of what makes the CATs fun for me. In the CATs I've been part of, I trade more cards the more enthusiasm there is, regardless of the # of cards I've made. People seem to want to be where the action is.

I can see how chatter can get a little annoying for someone who isn't down with that kind of thing. Still, I've noticed when there are HOURS between posts the # of participants really starts to drop off, and stays that way. Maybe we can find a happy medium in here somewhere?

HHC
01-15-2009, 02:43 PM
I think getting through the intense chatter is most distracting for those who only have a couple of hours to play and want to do some trades... well I am speaking for myself. I've only had limited time the past few and was focused on the art posted.

Some folks only post their cards to the thread... (I check galleries too) so you still need to sort through the posts.

A special gallery for easy viewing for those of us with limited time could be good... although posting in the thread is what it's all about. And with some newer folks, figuring out two places to post could be a bit much...

We're not going to make everyone completely happy, but we should be able to make it workable for all. :)

Thanks for all the input!

hayward_cs
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Hmmmm...I *may* have to collect a couple more supplies and join y'all this time around. (I am not entire certain that I am a very successful collage person though. Possibly I should work on it LOL)

midnitecreations
01-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I love chatting, but like it even better when I can see all the available trades in one area. What if we do a post at the beginning of the thread with our availables, and keep editing that post with all our pics, instead of it spread out throughout the thread? We can make comments, but at least all the pics will be right there on the beginning pages.

Chardonnay1965
01-16-2009, 03:19 AM
fabulous...this is in the middle of my holidays..:D:D " happy dance":wubclub:

jaw
01-16-2009, 05:15 AM
I like that Flickr idea-r. I've been cutting out clip art all evening ... I am preparing! hmmm ... I think I feel the flu starting ... it should hit me about February 13th at 4pm ... just in time to get home from work and stay in all weekend! I guess I can be well enough on the 14th to make dinner for my valentine ...

seekingforart
01-16-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm up for it...Chatter... gallery...posting on the thread....whatever!... as long I'm collaging and trading... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_20_8.gif

sweetest-sin
01-16-2009, 08:12 AM
sweetest-sin, can you please be more specific? Personally I think that a little bit of chatter is fun... and too much chatter gets distracting in an a-thon. I love lots of posts with awesome art, and don't like having to go through pages of stuff to find the art. But that's just me. :) Is that anywhere close to what you mean? Or am I just rambling again. :)

have a chatter thread and a "gallery" thread just used for cards to trade with

BrendaMarie
01-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I really wish I could play but will be away Valentine's weekend. I was really looking forward to this too :(

anne
01-18-2009, 02:29 AM
I will have a go at this. It will give me a chance to use some of the images I have printed and cut out.

Terrorgirl
01-18-2009, 04:46 AM
This is looking like fun have never done one before will try to join in for at least some of it.

Tamrantula
01-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Hooray! Hope my new work schedule will fit into this! I won't know till I start my new job on the 2nd!

Just to prepare--will there be daily themes to this CAT? I hope to have time to gather the perfect materials!

Hope to see you all there!

Katxena
01-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Sadly, I can't participate. Happily, the reason is that I will be out of town for my sister-in-law's baby shower. Still, I'm bummed about the CAT. It seems like I can rarely play!

MikasCupcake
01-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Oh, darn it all >< I would have loved to join in with you guys, but I'm having my birthday party on the 15th and that would definately hinder my card making xP

VintageGlimmers
01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Wheeeeeeee - another CAT - me loves me a CAT. Marking my calendar so I don't forget. :)

grammyquilter2
01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Rain, shine or Work...I hope to play....and for my two cents worth...I have trouble getting into flickr/etc galleries and really like to be able to scroll down seeing what is being added. Also, please don't remove your pics so fast that we can't see the candies just because they have been traded before we got to see them, Chatter is good as long as it doesn't get to be too much without pics also posted.....Oh, I am so happy several names posted already as joining....

amyfaerie
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
i am going to be out of town at a conference during the collage-a-thon in february! poop! :(

Turquoise
02-01-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't think I will be doing anything that weekend so please count me in!! :D

DewArt
02-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Boo hoo. I'm so blue. I've been ill and in the middle of trying to pull together a major move. Unless I'm just so fed up with packing and planning and hacking and coughing (oh, that shouldn't take long, huh?) I don't think I'm going to get to play much, if at all this time around. So sad because some of my many favorite cards come from the CATs. I agree with NuttyNanner about the chatter helping to keep the thread enthusiasm going. Was on an ***-A Thon a while back that was dead, dead, deadski...I had a ton of cards but not very many players to trade with.

Hope I'll get to peek in and maybe play a card or three--assuming my craft stuff is still unpacked.

cairnlae
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
count me in for a healthy mix of chatter and cards being posted...:D
BTW...definition of forum:a public meeting or assembly for open discussion:yes: just sayin.

HHC
02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm all for chatter as long we we have eye candy to back it up... LOL. :D

cairnlae
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
tru dat HHC!!! Put up or shut up!

nanner
02-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Girlfreeeeends...we are going to achieve the perfect balance of art and talk. It will be so. And it will be GOOD.

P.S. I voted for Shandy...whatta babyface!

Turquoise
02-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Horray!!!! glad to see there will be a bit of chattering!!! I will put on the kettle...Who wants to bring the tea and coffee???? lol!

cairnlae
02-04-2009, 02:15 AM
who's bringing the homemade Bailey's we chatted about a couple of "athons" ago?

hayward_cs
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
who's bringing the homemade Bailey's we chatted about a couple of "athons" ago?

HOLD THE PHONE ~ You can MAKE Bailey's at home?!?!?! All by yourself?!?!?!? I am soooooo there. :spinny:

Oh yeah, and I kindly asked my mother to watch my children overnight that weekend so that I could have my house entirely to myself and do nothing but work on crafty, collage-y stuff. And she said YES!! YIPPEE!! :v_spin:

cairnlae
02-05-2009, 09:13 PM
ohhh..thats great!!

VintageGlimmers
02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm going to paint some backgrounds this weekend and start gathering some images. I was cleaning up in my art area and found some fun copies I forgot about - :spinny:

cairnlae
02-05-2009, 11:49 PM
sounds yummy!

HHC
02-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Okay... so we have this wedding extravaganza at our store this weekend that is taking a bit of my time. And I'm so NOT a fufu wedding person. LOL. It should be great fun, but I can't wait to have some time to just play and create.
I have a stash of clipped images and assorted backgrounds at the ready for the CAT.

Chardonnay1965
02-06-2009, 02:58 AM
HOLD THE PHONE ~ You can MAKE Bailey's at home?!?!?! All by yourself?!?!?!? I am soooooo there. :spinny:

Oh yeah, and I kindly asked my mother to watch my children overnight that weekend so that I could have my house entirely to myself and do nothing but work on crafty, collage-y stuff. And she said YES!! YIPPEE!! :v_spin:

yes and it is yummy..if anyone wants the recipe for homemade Bailey's just pm me..:D

Linda4atc
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone. I have been away from my art for way to long. I am going to try to participate.

I do not know how much time I will have since my dear husband will be home at least part of Sat and all day Sunday. Also I do not know if I will be able to move my computer and scanner over to my studio trailer for the weekend or not. But I will try since i want to be able to see what is going on and add my art to the mix. AND I love the chatter! I think it is dissapointing when I get on and all has been silent.:swoon:

Chardonnay1965
02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Linda.....<<<Huggggsss>>>>> I have missed you..:D:D so glad you will be playing..:D:

seekingforart
02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
yeah Linda I have miss you too!

NYJunkie
02-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I haven't done a Collage-a-Thon. Is it ok if I join in???

HHC
02-06-2009, 06:38 PM
NYJunkie, anyone can play along so just grab your scissors and glue stick and join us! :)

nanner
02-06-2009, 07:47 PM
And allow me to quote Char in my favorite way: :D

This is gonna be fun! :D :D :D

morning star
02-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I want to try this.
I'm a little shy at parties though.

cairnlae
02-07-2009, 03:03 PM
whats your drink of choice morning star? I'll be sure and bring some of that to loosen you up...:laugh:

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 04:15 PM
ok.... here is something for you all to drink..:D

Baileys
1 tin (375ml or 12fl oz) evaporated milk
1 tin (400g or 13oz) condensed milk
20 drops vanilla extract
1 tablespoon drinking chocolate (not cocoa)
300ml (10fl oz) whiskey
6 eggs

Method
Combine all Ingredients in a large bowl and beat well. Bottle, seal and refrigerate.
Note. Baileys must be drunk fairly soon, as it will not keep indefinitely. ( about 4-6 weeks)
Enjoy….

cairnlae
02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
there ya go hayward_cs....theres the recipe!

NYJunkie
02-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Hey Chardonnay.....that recipe sounds great, will our cards turn out better if we drink it? I thought you were a wine person because of your name....

nanner
02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Char is a woman of mystery...:D! (And homemade booze, apparently.)

Morning Star...let's represent for Wisconsin. (We'll still be snowy next weekend anyway...might as well make frozen lemonade.) :jiggy:

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey Chardonnay.....that recipe sounds great, will our cards turn out better if we drink it? I thought you were a wine person because of your name....

hey it's wet..I drink it it..hic..lol..no seriously..I do drink wine..but I also love Baileys..:D

hayward_cs
02-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Whoot!! Bailey's here I come!! Thanks so much for the recipe. (I wonder what would happen if one left out the eggs? Hmmm...)

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 08:32 PM
well I am sitting here busily..printing out some pics..to make some Chinese zodiac themed cards....thanks to miss jeanie..I found some pics on-line.....can't wait for the fun to start....maybe we should do a 1 day pre-cat a-thon..for those of us who need a fix...??lol

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Whoot!! Bailey's here I come!! Thanks so much for the recipe. (I wonder what would happen if one left out the eggs? Hmmm...)

dunno..but if ya want a recipe that is eggless..i have a recipe for Tia maria...

seekingforart
02-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah i would love some tia maria!

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Here ya go

Tia Maria

1 cup sugar
1 cup Hot water
4 heaped teaspoons instant coffee
I dessertspoon vanilla extract
1 cup underproof rum

method
Dissolve sugar and coffee in hot water, then add vanilla. Allow to cool and add rum.
Bottle, seal and allow I week before opening.

(I usually put the sugar , coffee and water in a pan toget it all dissolved :D)

enjoy

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I have a book called..how to make Liqueurs..:D

seekingforart
02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
you rock Char!!!!! heap! Heap!

cairnlae
02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
shocker.............:err:

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 09:11 PM
the Tia Maria is yummy..:D

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 09:29 PM
is anyone else preping this for the a-thon???
is there any theme..people might like me to create????

NYJunkie
02-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Hey, Char -- more recipes, please. That sounds like a great recipe book.

I'm going to try and get some stuff cut out ahead of time and make sure I have some good backs -- then it will be fun just to place and paste next weekend.

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
ok..how about Drambuie??

NYJunkie
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh, yes! Sounds great.

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 10:04 PM
ok..here ya go

Drambuie

4 cups Scotch Whisky
2 cups orange Honey (from health food shops)
3 1/2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds

method
Combine all ingredients and shake vigorously until all the honey has dissolved completely. cover container securely and seal. Leave to mature for 28 days.
After 28 days, strain through a fine sieve, filter and bottle in dark bottles.

note. because the quality and flavour of the honey will vary from region to region, you may have to experiment to get this recipe to suit your particular taste.

enjoy

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I have grand marnier if your interested...

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 10:41 PM
welll I have lot's of pics now for Chinese zodiac themed cards.....mm maybe I need some Pandas now.......

seekingforart
02-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I have grand marnier if your interested...

keep them coming... I wanna keep them handy for next week!:laugh:

Chardonnay1965
02-07-2009, 11:03 PM
ok here ya go

Grand marnier

4 cups vodka
4 oranges- juice and skin
3 cups caster sugar
1 tablespoon corinader seed
75g (2 1/2oz) imitation brandy essence
brown food dye (see note)

method

Wash and peel oranges. Separate pith from skinand discard pith. Squeeze oranges and strain well. Using a large mixing jar, place the juice, skin, vodka and coriander seeds inside, cover securely ans leave in warm ,dark place for 14 days. Strain through a coarse sieve and discard residue. Return juice to jar and add brandy essence and sugar.
Shake well until all sugar has dissolved.Let standuntil clear-at least 14 days.
Decant and add brown coloring (if using) ixed with a little of the liqueur. Liqueur should be a very pale brown color. Seal well and store until required.

note Instead of using dye, you can substitute 1 cup of brown sugar for 1 up of caster sugar...

or just leave clear

enjoy

cairnlae
02-07-2009, 11:15 PM
I like the sound of the panda cards char..love when you do those!

Tamrantula
02-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Is there a theme for this CAT? Same theme each day, or some differences? Just trying to prime the pump here a bit! LOL. I still don't know if I will be working that weekend, but I am hopeful I will get at least SOME time to play!

HHC
02-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Good heavens, I leave you alone for a day and look what happens... if you make any of those liqueurs, sharing is a must, BTW. ;)

This CAT we are not doing contests or anything like that, but may have a challenge of some sort, or a theme day. I have been a bit busy of late and just finished a 10 hour day at work. When I have a brain that works tomorrow, I'll get my thoughts in order and let you know what I come up with...

Just a hint for preparation: checking the profiles of the other crazies...oops, artists... who are CAT addicts will help you come up with some themes that are likely to trade.

And seriously, I like to do topics that I am fond of too. And then if they don't trade, I have lovely cards to keep for myself in a theme that blends in with my various collections.

cairnlae
02-08-2009, 12:38 AM
this is quite a thread and it hasn't even started yet!!! i'm excited for this one...hope we have a large turn out...

nanner
02-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Okay, am I the only one who keeps reading "Tia Maria", and yet I keep thinking "Teena Marie"...of 80's one-hit-wonder fame?

Yeah...maybe just me then, right?

And WHO are these crazies you are referring to, HHC? Why are my ears burning?

cairnlae
02-08-2009, 01:09 AM
stop drinking so much and that might abate....just sayin.

katilady
02-08-2009, 01:11 AM
If I can get a swap or 2 under my belt tomorrow I will play--and it'll be a 3 day weekend for me! Anyone else?

grammyquilter2
02-08-2009, 01:33 AM
I hope somebody will still be sober by cat time...When we were dating, my husband used to make me a drink of equal parts creme de menthe, galliano, southern comfort, and some mountain dew, with ice in a brandy snifter....that was a long time ago but we still have the red Italian brandy snifters from Venice or was it Rome...oh, anyway....I already have some great paper towel backgrounds made, it was technique required last local trade. They feel nice and take stamps very nice, Themes? Romantic Valentines of course....at least that is what I have planned to do if I am not working. Should be working on doll for next convention/competition coming up but I can't seem to get my muse interested in anything but atc's right now...where is the eye candy of preps ready????

Dadreemer
02-08-2009, 02:12 AM
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff133/onionethan/onion_Emoticons/th_077_.gif Whoa grammyQ2, you were knockin' 'em back weren't ya? What a cocktail.

Linda4atc
02-08-2009, 02:45 AM
http://tallulahs.com/vintmenu.html has vintage romance pictures and vintage eroctic that is naughty but not Porn. They can be downloaded so you have them right away if anyone is interested. I may print some out if I get my printer set up but I have a huge box of collage images ready to us from the prep I've done before and after the CATs.

I will have to save those recipes but two liquers I like are Chambord which is a berry liquer that comes in a pretty bottle and Buttershots which is a cheaper schnapps type liquer that is kind of butterscotch flavored. Both are yummy just straight.

Chardonnay1965
02-08-2009, 06:45 AM
I reckon I should get a special permission..since i am on holidays..and be allowed to play for an extra day..:D:D..I will be home hereon monday when it is still Sanday there..so i should be allowed to CAT along with you all..:D;)..lol

NYJunkie
02-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Chardonnay -- thanks for all the recipes. I might have to make them into recipe cards, but that's ambitious for me. I still haven't got my backs ready but I have a nice collections of pix and papers to use.

cairnlae
02-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Char, I hear its really hot over there in some parts right now..looked like the southwest was suffering the most...seems like they said it was 110 F around Victoria...thats friggin hot!!!

Linda4atc
02-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Char, I hear its really hot over there in some parts right now..looked like the southwest was suffering the most...seems like they said it was 110 F around Victoria...thats friggin hot!!!

I think they need prayers out there. The news we got this morning said that there is a wildland fire (I think they said it was in Victoria are) that has burned lots of homes and there are over 80 deaths. That is so horrible. And rare for a wildland fire to kill that many people. It some some were cought in there cars try to fleee the aera.

Chardonnay1965
02-08-2009, 03:27 PM

yep I am in the south west and we have been boiling..but today is lovely and cool.. the forecast for today is only 24C..much nicer than 40C

Chardonnay1965
02-08-2009, 04:56 PM
oh boy ..I am already getting excited about the next CAT,,:D:D

Chardonnay1965
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I think they need prayers out there. The news we got this morning said that there is a wildland fire (I think they said it was in Victoria are) that has burned lots of homes and there are over 80 deaths. That is so horrible. And rare for a wildland fire to kill that many people. It some some were cought in there cars try to fleee the aera.

yes the whole thing is just awful.....I am thankful we were spared the fires... the Heat was bad enough...

Linda4atc
02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
OK I had my computer working pretty good for about a week. Now today I'm having all kinds of problems again. I HATE COMPUTERS!

My signal strength on my internett access says it is good, I supposedly have 70% available memmory, my computer recently underwent a system restore and over $200 worth of computer repair service since NOV. sigh ....

Question I have a lot of ephemera, photos and such on CD's. My computer is already starting slow down, so I do not want to load my PrintMaster program which I believe to be pretty massive since it comes with a bunch of art that is loaded with it.

But this is the program I always use to resize, and print my clipart pages with. I would paste vintage photos etc, stretch or reduce them by grabbing a corner and using the built in ruler grid. and put several different things on page before I print it out. DOES anyone know of a program to do this stuff without loading all the extras that comes with a photoshop or prinmaster???

Tamrantula
02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I use a scrapbooking program that I just love...but it is not cheap. It is through Creative memories...and I just download pics into it...and can resize and change--flip, do lots of other changses...even remove some background things (sometimes that takes a bit of work and creativity! LOL). I can do lots of altering things on it...but, again, it is not cheap!
It is called storybook creator 2, and I got it from Creative memories--and I originally purchased it because I scrapbook--but, lately I use it LOTS more for ATCs than scrapbooking.

Linda4atc
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM
It sounds a bit like my PrintMaster which was designed for greeting cards but now it set up to do web pages and scrapbooking etc, Lots and lots of stuff I never use. I do play with flipping, coloring, etc and have done some digital colages but mostly I print it out the size I need for an atc and then use other medias to finish it.

NYJunkie
02-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Linda4atc - thanks for the vintage pix site. Isn't your husband a volunteer fireman?? or am I confusing you with someone else?

Those Australian fires sound and look brutal and it must be so scary. California has bad fires, too.

On to a more pleasant topic -- CAT. I'm sure you all have done this before -- I hope no one stops by unexpectedly next weekend. I should lock the doors, pull the shades, and take the phone off the hook...

grammyquilter2 doesn't sound like someone who partakes in tasty drinks.

katilady
02-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Out of respect for the Aussies I am listening to some Australian music--The Waifs, a great band!

Pippin
02-08-2009, 08:59 PM
I am hoping to play next weekend, but maybe not on Saturday!! DH might want some attention!

cairnlae
02-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Linda4atc..I use Microsoft Publisher to print my stuff off...

Dadreemer
02-08-2009, 11:32 PM
I use Microsoft Publisher too. Can't live without it.

You can do a Google search for desk top publishing programs or go to CNET downloads to look some up.

adoonaisoul
02-08-2009, 11:47 PM
hah sounds good ,:)

Linda4atc
02-09-2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks I'll look up the Microsoft Publisher. I really do hate computers ... just love all things I do with them. NYJunkie you have it kind of right. My husband is not a volunteer, he is a captain for Cal Fire which used to be called CDF and is a wildland firefighter. He is watching the Australian fires and pointed out that many of the native plants there are higher in oils so they actually burn hotter. He also doesn't think that a wildland fire has killed that many people since the 1800's.

Note even the firemen (Calif employed) will be getting a 10% pay cut. Sigh ....

Chardonnay1965
02-09-2009, 03:12 AM
I use corel paint shop...

HHC
02-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Notice! Notice! Collage-a-thon approaches!

Saturday's theme will be romance. Fits right in with Valentines day, don't you know, and has a variety of interpretations... :yes:

Sunday we have a challenge: to create a card (or two, or three) with seven layers... For clarification a layer would be paint, drawing, papers (sheet music, text pages, decorative papers, napkins, tissue) rubber stamping, embossing, inks, embellishments, beeswax, glaze... you get the idea.
I'll have a couple of examples for those who are new to collage.

So grab your scissors and glue stick and get ready to collage. :D

Chardonnay1965
02-09-2009, 03:09 PM
would anybody object if i played for an extra day??? I could pretend i am anAmerican for 1 day..:D...lol
I am on holidays so I have lot's of time to play....
but If people objet I won't..

Pippin
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
You go for it Char!!! If I pretend to be in Aus does that mean I can start on Thursday too!!!!

I like the idea of 7 layers HHC! I bought some new stamps and paper on the weekend in honour of this too!!

Chardonnay1965
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
sure..that sounds fair to me Pippin...:D
I went to my Dad's yesterday and he cut me up some Mat board into ATC size...some of them were that board that is around pictures in frames..they were gonna be thrown out so like a magpie I scavenged them plus I bought a big sheet of white mat board.. It was too hard to cut..so my Dad did it for me...aren't Dad's wonderful??? :D

does anyone Know where I can find that tutorial on Napkins???

HHC
02-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Hey! Whatcha doing extending our play time??? LOL! :)

Do we all want to play through Monday at 11:59 pm? No starting early however! We need to draw the line somewhere... oh wait, we need to collage the line somewhere.

JoyFlower
02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
My, oh my! Six pages of fun and the CAT is days away, lol! I am hoping to play - not sure what demands others will try to place on my time, but art always finds a way! :D

I'm trying to establish some organization in my studio - got this great bin rack from Costco with 36 pullout bins of varying sizes! - so I am trying to sort the stacks into categories and tuck them into their new homes.

Of course in the process I am unearthing wonderful items to use this weekend!

goatgoddess
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Looking forward to playing this weekend - hope to get several cards done and sunday sounds fun with all the layers :)

Chardonnay1965
02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
should be a fun filled weekend..:D:D

Linda4atc
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I spent hours yesterday carefully cutting out pictures. And today I got about two thirds of a picture profile card done for a trade. It was the first art I've done in ages and mind is buzzing with ideas!

I have a question, (not a complaint, just curious) Why does it really matter if people start on Aussie time or finish on USA time? Isn't kind of like that drinking song "It's 5:00 somewhere!"

coffeelatte
02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm off on Friday, and hope that I will have a better back by then. I've got lots of clippings, lots of pre-cut cards...LOTS of glue.

Glad to know we've got a Sunday challenge, and will set aside some special things for that...seven layers, eh? (Sounds like a yummy cake...)

Joyflower - Post a pic of your new Costco bin, will you, please?

Chardonnay1965
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I am trying to finish a few swaps so I can just do CAT cards on the weekend...:D

grammyquilter2
02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I get dizzy just watching other people who think they are sober at parties.....(but, a Peach Belini (white peach nectar and champagne) once in a great great while) ...hmmm, the diet I have been on for last 8 months as of today does not allow any alcohol, nor diet colas, nor anything else good....but, it is working and I am almost to my goal weight....

JoyFlower
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Joyflower - Post a pic of your new Costco bin, will you, please?

Sure! It's almost 5 feet tall, and almost 4 feet wide...should hold LOTS of goodies!
There are labels to go in the front of the bins too...once I have decided what goes where. :laugh:

Chardonnay1965
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
way cool...but do you think just 1 is enough??? lol:laugh:

JoyFlower
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
:laugh: I have worried about that, Char! Hope they don't run out of them before I'm done organizing.....

katilady
02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Love the 7 layer idea, that one will be easy peasy!

Pippin
02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey I just realised Monday is the 16th which is a stat holiday here in Ontario!! It is called Family Day!! LOL I can definitely extend the CAT!!!

Linda4atc
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Does it count only as one layer if you use say multiple colors of paint, or maybe multiple rubber stamps?

cairnlae
02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
that was a question I was going to ask..thanks Linda!!!

Dadreemer
02-09-2009, 11:50 PM
:laugh: I have worried about that, Char! Hope they don't run out of them before I'm done organizing.....

Got buy it anyways, save the reciept. At least you'll have it at home with you. And if you find that you don't need it, take it back. But I think you'll need two.

JoyFlower
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Oh - good idea, Dadreemer - I should go back this week and snag another one! But I'll have to get someone to go with me, 'cause it won't fit in my little car. :D
Then I will have it if I need it (bound to eventually if not immediately!)

Chardonnay1965
02-10-2009, 12:43 AM
oh oh oh..I have been playing again....I can't wait to show you all a card I did with a napkin and UTEE....

mrubyjean
02-10-2009, 12:59 AM
does anyone Know where I can find that tutorial on Napkins???

Do you mean this one?

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5956

Chardonnay1965
02-10-2009, 01:02 AM
I bought some new music themed Napkins yesterday...and I made this card today..:D
http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/66/566/0/74/76/2372074760040999427phHNMV_th.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2372074760040999427phHNMV)

hope ya like it..:D

Chardonnay1965
02-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Do you mean this one?

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5956

that's the one thanks bunches..i am printing it off now..:D

HHC
02-10-2009, 02:52 AM
I have a question, (not a complaint, just curious) Why does it really matter if people start on Aussie time or finish on USA time? Isn't kind of like that drinking song "It's 5:00 somewhere!"

That way we each have the same time period to collage, so it’s “equal” just in different time zones… In a perfect world we’d all be doing it together, but some of us are sleeping when others are not, and this way it works out to the same time period. Do any of you original CAT folks have a better answer?

Does it count only as one layer if you use say multiple colors of paint, or maybe multiple rubber stamps?

Okay, regarding layers… stamping four images in different colors is not quite the same as stamping an image, layering with tissue, stamping another image, painting a glaze, overlapping with a clip art image, stamping, highlighting with gel pens… does that make sense? The challenge is to create layers using different techniques & mediums.

For example, in this card for the layered bird swap I have a 1) layer of torn papers adhered with soft gloss gel 2) a layer of tissue adhered with soft gloss gel 3) stamped images, 4) painted black dots & lines, 5) re-inker rubbed on for tinting 6) bird image, 7) beeswax. And the edges are “finished” using an ink pad. It's not complicated, but it has several layers.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/400/medium/1_Layered_birds-raven.jpg

You could layer a text page, a tissue paper, a napkin, stamp an image, tint with inks, place a clip art image, then do a layer of beeswax and then tint the edges with crayon... several layers.

Does that help at all or confuse the issue? :)

cairnlae
02-10-2009, 02:58 AM
yup!:D

Linda4atc
02-10-2009, 03:07 AM
I think it helps .... it is not just 7 techniques/medias, but stacked layers. I know I can do several .... but seven is going to be a real challenge for me. Thanks hun.

JoyFlower
02-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Good description of layering. :) They take a little longer, but they are SO fabulous looking with the extra depth it creates.

NYJunkie
02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
An extra day will be great. I like the idea of a Saturday Romance Theme and 7 layers for Sunday is great. I expect there will be lots of beautiful cards.

goatgoddess
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah you are right HHC - so we are in cyber group all working together

another reason for time limits is so we are all together - posting - chit chatting - and pushing each other on to ever greater cards :) if it's spread out too much you lose some of the energy of the group and it falls off till only a couple are posting

katilady
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I know there are some newbies playing, and us oldies can use the reminder too, but I think it's important to remember: No trade is guaranteed, even if you asked 1st. People, including you, have a right to say no to a trade. :)

Chardonnay1965
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
2 more sleeps...:D

grammyquilter2
02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Aahh yes, Katilady, you are right about newbies....might I suggest they go back and read the beginning pages of previous ...a-thons to get an idea of how things work so they don't get hurt feelings over unexpected happenings....
I am making backgrounds tonight, and just thought I would mention (hint, hint) that my grandson is into Bees (did a science fair last year on collapsed colonies) and we both like greens, and birds (made great bird feeders from grape juice bottles) and I like vintage ladies and he likes femme fatale...just in case anybody looking for any ideas!!!!

Chardonnay1965
02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
what about this...???
http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/52/752/6/87/89/2623687890040999427lRMiWb_th.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2623687890040999427lRMiWb)

1. serviette adhered with white glue
2. piece torn card added
3. stamping on torn card
4.texture paste added around edges
5. Paint added to texture
6.punched music notes
7. piece of card added with more stamping
plus gold sticker....
is this something like we're supposed to do???

HHC
02-10-2009, 11:14 PM
By jove, I think you've got it! ;)

cairnlae
02-10-2009, 11:26 PM
does the background count as a layer?! That is...say if you cut it out of a magazine or phonebook and adhered it to a card...I'm guessing it does but thought I'd ask anyway....just cause i like to hear myself talk..I mean type...;)

HHC
02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Start with plain cardstock... adhere background from magazine or phone book = layer #1. You got it. :D

I can't wait to see what wonders we get on Sunday.

Chardonnay1965
02-11-2009, 12:39 AM
I think I will prep some backgronunds then..:D...it sounded hard when I first read it but when i tried I was surprised how many layers are on some cards..:D

poeticpaper
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I need one of those!!!!

my art room is an unorganized mess. I plane on cleaning it before the CAT so I can make it all super messy again!

Sure! It's almost 5 feet tall, and almost 4 feet wide...should hold LOTS of goodies!
There are labels to go in the front of the bins too...once I have decided what goes where. :laugh:

HHC
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Okay, I've started the thread... get ready, get set.... glue!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=332000#post332000

JoyFlower
02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Woot! I'm subscribed! :jiggy:

adoonaisoul
02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I cant wait til tommarow, hell yeah :) so excited :)

NYJunkie
02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm seeing some great cards in the Gallery. I got a late start -- had dinner out.

Can we do regular collage cards tomorrow, too, or just romance???

I think I understand the 7 layers and will love doing that on Sunday.

Chardonnay1965
02-13-2009, 11:32 PM
well it is Sat here and I have been doing reg cards..lol

HHC
02-14-2009, 12:01 AM
NYJunkie... the theme and the challenge are both optional. You can create whatever your little heart desires. :)

NYJunkie
02-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks, HonHC. I'm doing a few 7 layers and Romance will appear if we are still on the CAT tomorrow. I will have lots more time tomorrow. Yesterday I was wisked away for the day and tonight is hockey.