PDA

View Full Version : FABRIC ART: Prayer Flag Swap - due April 18

LavenderLizard
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Sign-up Date: April 10
Swap Due Date: April 18
Number of flags: 1:1 - 4:4
Number of participants: unlimited

I recently hosted a Prayer Flag ATC swap, and would now like to host a swap for "standard-sized" fabric prayer flags (standard being approximately 6X9 inches). So break out some of your fabric and stamp it, paint it, or embroider it with a simple prayer, then fold over the top and sew a channel for string. Recipients can string their flags when they receive them. Since this swap is open to members of any religion, please make your prayers open-minded and general. Whether we come from a Christian, Buddhist, Pagan, or simply a spiritual mindset, we all have loving prayers to share. Make the flags weather-resistant so that they can be hung outside (but keep in mind that the flags are supposed to degrade with time, so they needn't be designed to last forever). You needn't be a fabric expert for this swap, either--these are very simple items to sew, and the decoration can be painted if you like!

Please send an SASE with the amount of postage it took to mail your flags to me (cash or stamps is fine). Internationals, just send the envie, and I will take care of the postage. Please attach a card with your information on it to each flag so that your partners will know who to thank!

Is anyone interested in joining this swap? :D

1. Me!
2. Dadreemer (US)
3. slrandom (US)
4. sometomato

Dadreemer
02-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Me too!

Dadreemer
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Do we SASE, addy label only, $$ for postage, add bling to the flags? Still gonna do it, just need more info.

LavenderLizard
02-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Oops! Left that part out! I will fix it now. Thanks for joining the swap!

LavenderLizard
03-03-2009, 02:06 PM
It might end up just being the two of us--a private trade in swap format! If so, that will be lovely.

Anyone else interested?

Dadreemer
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
It might end up just being the two of us--a private trade in swap format! If so, that will be lovely.

Anyone else interested?

That's cool too. But I will keep an eye out here.

slrandom
03-05-2009, 01:05 PM
This is totally beautiful. I would love to join. Great Idea!

slrandom

LavenderLizard
03-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Yay, another player! Thanks for joining us, slrandom!

LavenderLizard
03-14-2009, 10:41 AM
If you are looking for inspiration, here is a great group of Flickr that I saw on another website. Not exactly prayer flags, but beautiful work nonetheless!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/83026256@N00/

Dadreemer
03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey, thanx for the inspiration. I was just thinking about coming over here to "bump" this thread this morning. Got my sewing machine out of the shop and I will start on my flags this week. Never made them before, but I have some ideas. Was wondering, can the flags be blessings or affirmations too?

LavenderLizard
03-14-2009, 02:07 PM
They certainly can be!

sometomato
03-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Sarah, I would like to join this one, but since I have surgery on my shoulder on Monday the 23rd, I am wary because I don't know how soon I will be able to do things. Seems like I should be able to sew these by hand, though, holding it with the fingers of my (left) immobilized arm and sewing with the right hand..... I will try it and let you know. Can you put me down tentatively?

Dadreemer
03-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Starting my experiments tomorrow.

LavenderLizard
03-18-2009, 11:05 AM
You are down tentatively, sometomato. I'd love to have you!!!

slrandom
03-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I have been out of town and just saw the garland flickr site. Some very cunning examples. Thanks.

LavenderLizard
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I love flickr! Such a great way to share creativity. I plan to dye another yard or two of fabric tonight so that I can get started on my flags as well.

Dadreemer
03-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Got started on some. Experimenting with a washable glue gel batik (http://thatartistwoman.blogspot.com/2008/07/kid-friendly-batik.html). Did the first part yesterday (long wait for the glue to dry). Today they were painted (acrylic paints). Waiting for them to dry to move on to the next phase of it. Taking pics of the process. First time out the shoot for me with this. Hope they turn out OK.

LavenderLizard
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Oh, I am excited about that batik process! I tried it with wax and failed utterly!

LavenderLizard
03-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I dyed my fabric and am ready to go...

Dadreemer
03-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Will post pic soon.

LavenderLizard
04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I hope you can join, alteredmommy! I am doing the 6X9 size, myself, using stamps I carved myself on hand-dyed fabric.

MistiKo
04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd love to join this swap. I know I'm coming in a bit late, but I just happen to have some flags already made up because I'm hosting a similar swap on another board, and they are just so much fun to make that I have extras. I'd love to send in 4 and get one back from each of the other participants.

I hope I'm not too late. (I live in Canada and from experience I know it takes two weeks for my mail to reach its destination.)

Please send me your mailing address so I can get them in the mail right away.
M

LavenderLizard
04-07-2009, 01:06 PM
You are not too late! Go ahead and send them in... I will PM you my address!

MistiKo
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
mine are in the mail
M

Dadreemer
04-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Gawd, it took fo'eva to get this here. Will send in one of these as soon as I get your addy.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/298/small/1_Flag-1.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/298/small/1_Flag-2.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/298/small/1_Flag-3.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/298/small/1_Flag-4.jpg

sometomato
04-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Dadreemer - Those are Beautiful!
I am just now getting to mine, but I laid out a bunch of different fabric tonight and did some planning. I think I can do this, even one-handed....

LavenderLizard
04-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Those are gorgeous flags, Daedreemer! I PMed you my address--been out of it for a bit after some medical testing. Should have word back on Monday as to whether it is a disaster or not! :twitcy:

Dadreemer
04-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Hoping the best and sending good vibes to ya!

Dadreemer
04-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Flag was mailed out today.

sometomato
04-15-2009, 08:22 PM
OK, sent out a prayer flag today. It was harder than I'd thought it would be to get the flags done, so I actually have several in progress and was hoping to send more in - but I figured this one was done and would get there in time. (It was also hard to find a ride to the P.O. since I am not driving again yet.) Enclosed re-mailing labels and postage, Sarah.... Hope you like this one; there are some glints of gold against the turquoise and blue.

LavenderLizard
04-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I received three packages marked prayer flags today! I haven't gotten home to open them, but they are here safely. I'll get everyone their ratings tomorrow. Thanks!

sometomato
04-19-2009, 01:36 PM
So I am still making prayer flags.... I owe a bunch of random art prezzies to people and decided that these will be good for that.... next three:

LavenderLizard
04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Okay, I am back online! Sorry about the delay, guys.

I received sometomato's great Peace flag--love the fibers!--and Daedreamer's awesome and highly detailed Egyptian flag. Wow to you both!

I also received four lovely flags each from MistiKo (I love the carved stamps!) and slrandom (beautiful butterflies!).

I swapped out last night and mailed everyone's packages today. I sent this swap out with some extras as well. For the two players who submitted one flag each, I sent an extra prayer flag that I'd made from my carved stamps. For those of you who sent out four flags, I'm returning four, and added some extra fabric that I dyed myself.

I kept two flags for myself--one of slrandom's butterflies, and "hope" by MistiKo. I didn't want to hog the others!

I hope everyone enjoys their returns, and thanks again for playing!

Dadreemer
04-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Yay! It got there. It was fun to do this swap. At some point I will post the tutorial on my blog on how I created my flags.

sometomato
04-21-2009, 04:39 PM
YAY! Good work, LL!

MistiKo
04-22-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm glad mine got the in time, but wow, I am humbled. Mine seem so plain compared with the ones pictured here. They are really spectacular. You kept "hope", so you like butterflies I'm guessing.
M

LavenderLizard
04-22-2009, 11:08 AM
I do, but it was mainly for the theme, actually! I'm facing some difficut medical stuff, and wanted to hang the hope flag in honor of that. Mine were similar in style to yours--I carved a dove, and letters for "peace," trying to achieve a woodcut style and stamped the fabric. I dyed the fabric myself using a couple shades of dye in the sink. So they took effort, but they were simpler than the ones shown as well, more like the letterpress Tibetan flags I see in stores. No worries--any style of flag was great for this swap! I'd love to host more, but I don't know how many people are interested.

And sometomato, I love your new flags as well! Awesome.

MistiKo
05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I received my fabulous flags today. They are amazing. Thank you so much to everyone who participated in this swap.

LavenderLizard - that is the effect I was going for - my own interpretation of the traditional Tibetan woodcut printed flags - simple in design - intended to hang outside in the elements and take the wishes back to the universe.

I'm surprised that this exchange wasn't more popular here. I've participated in prayer flag exchanges on two other sites (one I hosted myself) and they were very popular. Perhaps there's so much going on here that it got lost in the shuffle.

I loved it in any case.
M

LavenderLizard
05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Where else do you trade flags? I'd be interested in participating in more flag swaps (I did one on Swap-bot--was that one of yours?). I'll host another here sometime, as well, since a couple folks have expressed interest, but I will give it a while.

Dadreemer
05-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Yay! I got my flags today! Thank you LavederLizard for hosting this swap, and for the gift of the Peace flag.

And a shout out to Slrandom for the beautiful butterfly flag.