PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon: The GREAT GAT--Goodie-a-thon

Tamrantula
03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey all!

Dates: April 17, 18, 19
I am going to host an a-thon--for art supplies! It will be a goodie-a-thon!

It will work much like a CAT or SAT...where we set a date (coming soon!) for a weekend--then everyone posts what they have that they would like to trade. Others can see what is for trade, send a PM--and offer something in exchange!

Papers, backgrounds, fibers, embellishments, ribbon, special papers, text pages, images, cancelled postage stamps, rubber stamped images,....the list is as endless your imagination!

Things can be pictured and offered in sets...or individually. It will be up to the traders to determine a fair trade!

More details will be coming soon!

ANYONE INTERESTED IN PLAYING???

Christina
03-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Can totally see this be a wild free-for-all trading extravaganza:) Brillant idea! One suggestion would be to offer a Goodie a thon for paper, another for stamps, etc. That way people who wanted to play could prepare and have photos in their galleries and upload them on the specific days. For example: On Friday_ do all paper, on sat: embellishments, etc. Or could do one whole wkend for paper and embellishments, another 'trade wkend' for stamps etc. Just a few suggestions to smooth out the idea if you think it would help. Thanks for listening, Christina

Tamrantula
03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Can totally see this be a wild free-for-all trading extravaganza:) Brillant idea! One suggestion would be to offer a Goodie a thon for paper, another for stamps, etc. That way people who wanted to play could prepare and have photos in their galleries and upload them on the specific days. For example: On Friday_ do all paper, on sat: embellishments, etc. Or could do one whole wkend for paper and embellishments, another 'trade wkend' for stamps etc. Just a few suggestions to smooth out the idea if you think it would help. Thanks for listening, Christina

Great ideas, Christinia!

I know, with my schedule....I can only do one weekend for now...and I think the first one will be pretty small....but, things can always evolve in the future!

I really like the idea of different mediums featured on different days of the GAT! I think it would work like any other a-thon, tho, where you have a theme...but, other things can be traded too. In case there are those who can only pop in on the one day.

This will be a test weekend! LOL--to get an idea of what works, and what doesn't work!

Thanks so much for your input! I will definately create themes for the days!

Linda4atc
03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Hiya Tamrantula :) For me this sounds both fun and scary. I just tried to link a couple of pages of images I made for myself from my printshop and I can't even figure that out. Funny to because in the CAT most people link from their computers and have trouble doing it from the gallery, Guess I'm just the screwball opposit. :goofy:

phinnyart
03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun and I have plenty of stuff to trade. (*cough* *cough* understatement of the year! lol)

:yes:

Tamrantula
03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun and I have plenty of stuff to trade. (*cough* *cough* understatement of the year! lol)

:yes:

Boy--can I relate to that! LOL

Debra1217
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
This sounds great! I have quite a bit that i would be willing to trade for something that I need!

artrageous
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
great idea!

goatgoddess
03-16-2009, 11:18 PM
good idea - I'm so bad about hoarding but I'm sure I have stuff that I could trade.

Christina
03-16-2009, 11:27 PM
What were you thinking for themes?

grammyquilter2
03-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Don't limit the the theme/subject items to one day only as some of us may have to work and not get on the day we have that item....boy I can hardly wait for this one, but then, I need to start sorting out now....hope you will pm those of us who have expressed our interest....

Tamrantula
03-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Oh! Good Idea, grammy quilter--I will send out PMs to any who seem interested!

I had thought about the problem with not everyone being available every day of the GAT--and liminting people by adding a theme.

Hmmm.....how to make everyone happy? LOL

Maybe I will have a "suggestion" for a daily theme...like Friday for papers and Saturday for embellishments....but, it wouldn't be LIMITED to that. Or, maybe there will be too many themes to do that...hmmmm.... Also, that might limit the "sets" people might want to make up...like a paper, some fiber and some images all in one trade.

Since this is the first one--it will be a learning experience!

I am waiting to hear dates for the next SAT--so, I don't set a conflicting date for this.
I think I am going to do this soon--not too much needed in prep time...so maybe 3 or 4 weeks from now, hopefully. Of course...that is just a general statement at this time. As soon as I get a little more information, then I can get a date set!

Thanks to all who have expressed interest! I think this will be a fun time!

kysunflower
03-17-2009, 12:54 AM
This could be fun. Would love to paint soem backgrounds and see what else I have.

hayward_cs
03-17-2009, 01:28 AM
This sounds like fun. I am sure I can come up with SOMETHING to trade LOL

Dadreemer
03-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun! *subscribed to the thread*

Should art tools and toys be included in this? What about chunky stuff? How big will/should the mailer (envelope, bubble mailer, box) be?

Tamrantula
03-17-2009, 01:51 AM
At this point--I think it will be up to the traders. Someone might want a trade just for one piece of mulberry paper...while another person might set up a trade for 6 sheets of paper, 6 ATC blanks, 10 ATC sleeves, 2 lengths of fibers, and a baggie of a bit of embossing powder--for example.

I am not going to limit size/shape of trades--it will be between the two traders! Also, it might be that one person has an expensive type of paper that the other would like...and they agree in trade that they would send multiple, less expensive items to make an equitable trade. That is all between the traders! Whatever they AGREE on! Chuncky stuff is great--if that is what the traders want!

I have to think a bit on the "art tools or toys." Because this is the first, I don't want it to get toooooo complicated! But, since the trades are between two participants....it may be feasible.

I don't want to be the policeman--to be sure the trades are fair. That will all be between the traders to agree upon!

I am looking forward to trading for some new types of supplies that I have never tried before--without having to go buy a bunch! Just a bit to experiment with!

Thanks to all who have expressed interest! I think this GAT is going to work!

Chardonnay1965
03-17-2009, 04:04 AM
sounds like fun..:D

hokeycokey
03-17-2009, 06:21 AM
this sounds fun - we all have supplies that we know we won't use, and I'd be glad to see things go to a good home (instead of lurking at the back of a drawer).

Tamrantula
03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
ok--just an update...looks like the SAT date will be decided soon...poll ends tomorrow.

Once that date is set...I will set a date for this!

thepozbabe
03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, i don't have a great deal of stuff but sure i must have something to trade.
This sounds like fun & too good to miss so count me in. x

boatbird
03-19-2009, 07:31 AM
I must have some stuff available- won't be online much during weekends but I am sure I can pop in and post a list and then keep an eye on it :)

smokeysmom
03-19-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm definitely interested, however, what do we do if someone wants one of our "goodie bags" and we don't want anything that they have to offer? I'd hate to hurt anyone's feelings. Have you given this any thought?

Dadreemer
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Good question.

Tamrantula
03-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I think it will work just like the CAT, or SAT--it is a trade agreed upon by the two traders. You can always say "No, thank you. I already have those goodies and am looking for something else." You are not obligated to a trade on any kind of "a-thon" just because you post that you have something available. You also are not obligated to take the trade of the first person to ask....it is your item (s), you choose who to trade with! And, you could always make a counter-offer. (I would like that rubber stamp you are offering to trade for my ultra-special clip-art book--but, I think my book is worth a little more than the stamp....could you throw in a distress ink pad, also?) TOTALLY up to the traders! I will just be here to provide the dance floor--it is up to you how you fill your dance cards! LOL

I will be sure to put that in the description when I get the official GAT thread started!

It looks like the official dates will be the weekend after Easter weekend. I have to double check my calendar for the exact dates--but should get it posted tonight or tomorrow!

Glad to see there is interest here--should be fun!

Dadreemer
03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Woo Hoo! then let's PARTY!

Ibus
03-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me.

Patti M
03-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Definitely worth a try! Might be a fun way to de-stash!

Chardonnay1965
03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
maybe with thread we could use cards board towind thread onto in for example 1 metre lengths ..we could do asst colours...and do in groups of 5 or so.....
that way if people wanna trade thread it is the same amount????

Tamrantula
03-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Ok--Dates have been determined....

It will be April 17, 18 and 19!

If you want to use this thread to mention things you might have up to trade--feel free!

If you want to put out a hint of things you might be looking for in a trade--go ahead...it might spur an idea of something someone might wish to offer!

Looking forward to the GAT!

Tamrantula
03-21-2009, 11:26 AM
maybe with thread we could use cards board towind thread onto in for example 1 metre lengths ..we could do asst colours...and do in groups of 5 or so.....
that way if people wanna trade thread it is the same amount????

That is a great idea, Char! I will add it to the description when I post the thread with all the instructions! One question tho....is a metre about the same as a yard?

thepozbabe
03-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Woohoo, that's the dates i voted for.
Don't know if i have enough stash to trade tho but it will be fun to look.

adifferentstory
03-21-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm looking forward to this.

Chardonnay1965
03-21-2009, 06:37 PM
That is a great idea, Char! I will add it to the description when I post the thread with all the instructions! One question tho....is a metre about the same as a yard?

well i got no idea how big a yard is...:twitcy:unless you mean how big is my backyard..;)
but I looked at my tape measure and it says 1 metre is about 39.5 inches...

Tamrantula
03-21-2009, 07:11 PM
well i got no idea how big a yard is...:twitcy:unless you mean how big is my backyard..;)
but I looked at my tape measure and it says 1 metre is about 39.5 inches...

ok--a yard is 36 inches!

smokeysmom
03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I'll give you guys a hint of what I'll be offering up: Asian text and Hell Note papers, Asian coins and charms in different sizes/shapes-gads of Asian stuff; and paper packs (papers will be 4 x 4 size), packets of brads (all different kinds), a few wood mounted stamps, a clear plastic craft case with handle that can carry your projects or 12 x 12 papers, etc., a 13 x 10 plastic craft case (green), 2 brand new landscape size albums (true 12 x 12) the kind used for scrapbooking (one black, one dark green), fancy beads, 1 24-pack of RoseArt SuperTip Washable Markers, 1 8 x 8 Childhood photo album (like new), 1 2-pack 7 x 9" Artist Canvas (never been opened), a pack of recipes greeting cards (8 w/envelopes) that are 5 x 7, Tim Holtz Grungeboard, plain and decorative, ATC paper packs, ATC backs (stamped for ATCs), foreign text, and more!

I will be looking for fibers, colorful, chunky, but not the "eyelash" kind), ribbons, vintage ephemera (especially women's portraits and children), unusual papers, handmade papers, new mediums or pastes, Zetti images, lace pieces, alphabet and number game pieces (flat) in any medium or size. I'll probably have some more "wants" later :)

Tamrantula
03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow--great and super tempting stuff!

Note to self: Find some super counter-tempting stuff!!!

Christina
03-22-2009, 06:07 AM
I'm thinking snack baggies of assorted fibers;let me know the colors you are interested in, (1 yard of each), foreign text (german and swedish, etc.), assorted pre-cut atc blanks and 4x4 inch background papers, a set of metallic colored pencils, and brads.
I am looking for handmade or hand-drawn 4x4 backgrounds or chunky pages made by you, funky fibers and specialty papers (ie. marbled, embossed, etc). Subjects for chunky pages include: halloween, goddesses (especially Greek and Roman), monochromatic (cooler tones of purple and/or blue), technique pages (with directions), and quotes. Please make them sturdy and chunky with your best work. Please have a scan of your chunky page in your gallery. Also, I am willing to trade overseas. Please inquire if you have any questions. Cheers, Christina:)

Tamrantula
03-22-2009, 06:24 AM
I have to go through my stuff, and decide exactly what to offer that I think someone would want--but, I will have stuff! LOL

I am very interested in trading for supplies I have not tried--like mulberry paper, other types of paper that are unique, different fibers or laces--unique things so that I don't have to go buy a bunch just to try it!

I have some fusible webbing--to iron fibers onto cards--so, can offer some of that....I have some simplicity catalogs--can offer pages from those--also, a wildlife book about birds..can offer those pages....um...Lots of national geographic books, I believe they are from the 70's or maybe, 80's. (I will have to go check the attic! lol)...I am sure I will come up with many more bits and pieces when I am home to look (I am at work right now!)

Gingersnap
03-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I can probably fill a lot of need lists. I will look forward to this. Awesome idea.

hokeycokey
03-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I'll have to watch what I trade (weight and size-wise) as most of you are overseas to me, but I will have some packs of assorted brads, ribbons, charms, papers (probably 6x6), some stamped images - I'll be looking for foreign text pages and oriental paper, fibres, etc.
This will be a fun weekend!

smokeysmom
04-07-2009, 02:20 PM
NiteOwl and I have already cheated a little...thanks for the vintage pics and ephemera Debbie:)

Tamrantula
04-07-2009, 02:36 PM
LOL!
I can't wait for this...should be fun to see all the things people offer for trade!

boatbird
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I will definitely have foreign text for trade (Book pages in Greek, Russian and Polish, phone book pages in Greek and magazine pages/ columns in Turkish, Greek and German), genuine vintage music sheets (no more than 2 or 3 pages per person, very limited amount available), random envies of paper scraps (including pieces of mulberry paper, text snippets and coloured card- better for inchie makers probably!) and random SMALL baggies of mixed beads (no requests re colour style size etc) I have to think of postage!

I will be looking for inchie blanks on interesting card (nothing flimsy like magazine paper please) and probably small punch-outs and stamped images.

Tamrantula
04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
ooh--sounds great, boatbird!

Hey, I got a question--I am trying to find out what kind of paper I have--someone sent me a small piece...and I want MORE! LOL

The best description I can come up with--is that it looks like a spiderweb...my piece is red, but I bet it comes in other colors.

Any ideas? If someone gives me a hint, I can look it up, and see if that is what it is!

Thanks!

altermyworld
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Is that the mulberry paper?
ANg

Tamrantula
04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I thought it was mulberry paper, but when I looked it up on line, it doesn't look like any mulberry paper I can find

kristinized
04-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I think I know what you're talking about tamrantula, I have some really thin paper with a lace pattern on it, thinner than mulberry but thicker than tissue paper. I got it on clearance from oriental trading.com. I checked there but couldn't find any more, or what it was called. I'll keep looking.

Dadreemer
04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I thought it was mulberry paper, but when I looked it up on line, it doesn't look like any mulberry paper I can find

Can you upload a pic of the paper?

Tamrantula
04-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Can you upload a pic of the paper?

Sure--but it may be a day or two!

Tamrantula
04-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Ok--Here is a pic of the little scrap I have left! I put a piece of white paper under 1/2, and the other 1/2 right on the scanner....not sure if it made a difference, but was trying both in case one showed up better than the other. It is pretty much see-through. There isn't paper between the fibers--just holes! LOL

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/459/large/1_scan0449.jpg

Ok--I uploaded it both ways, so everyone could see it.

hokeycokey
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Tamrantula - your paper scrap is known as 'angel hair' over here (and I bet you got it off sniisk cos she sent me some a while back!)
PS - I'm ashamed to say I threw a load out when I had a spring clean frenzy earlier in the year!

Tamrantula
04-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Only a bit more than another week till this begins! Are you getting excited? LOL

curbsidetreasure
04-10-2009, 01:16 AM
oooh this sounds fun :)

dmnh
04-10-2009, 01:44 AM
I'll be checking in to see what is up for trade....I have tons of stuff I could contribute to those in need! I'll have to go through a bunch of stuff...clean off my light table.. it's loaded down with supplies! I'll make a list later this week and see what I can come up with!
I really don't need a lot more stuff, but I'd be willing to trade my stuff for artwork...ATCs, Chunky pages, inchies....
This sounds like it will be a fabulous weekend!

boatbird
04-10-2009, 03:46 AM
I might have some of that paper Tamrantula- will check thru my scraps when I get organised and keep you posted- I bought some and didn't get on with it LOL

Tamrantula
04-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Oooh ! Oooh! LOL

boatbird
04-11-2009, 10:37 AM
FOund even more paper than I thought I had originally so I will be going through my stash and sorting it out this week ready for the GAT.

I also went to the beach and collected a whole pile of sea glass for anyone who wants that :D

I decided to do random baggies of beads- will be weight limited I am afraid due to mailing costs and I won't be able to take requests for colour size etc.... truly random just like me! I am getting a good little pile of things for trade!

Christina
04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
http://http://picasaweb.google.com/cmhrph/GATFIBERS#5324683875165036578 (http://picasaweb.google.com/cmhrph/GATFIBERS#5324683875165036578)
http://http://picasaweb.google.com/cmhrph/GATFIBERS#5324683895769501970 (http://picasaweb.google.com/cmhrph/GATFIBERS#5324683895769501970)
Hope you can check it out:)
Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers, Christina

Tamrantula
04-16-2009, 05:40 AM
I have started the thread for the official GAT!~ Please come there for lots of trading fun, starting 5 PM Friday, April 17th, wherever you are in the world!

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=398610#post398610