PDA

View Full Version : Journal: Summer Solstice/Litha - Due June 9th

OrganicMama
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Returns posted 10 June from Oregon.

The Sabbats are the Quarter Days (Imbolc, Beltain, Lammas, Samhain) and the Cross-Quarter Days (the Solsitices and Equinoxes). Each day has a specific focus about what is happening in the natural world (Harvest, Planting, Return of the Sun, etc...). We will be swapping pages for each of the quarter and cross quarter days. We are inclusive rather than exclusive regarding diety, interpretation, etc (ie no god/dess turned away for lack of paganness!)

We are continuing our group with Beltaine that takes place on May 1st. We will each end up with 8 books (one for each holiday) full of traditions, rituals, recipes, etc. from other members of the group.

This swap originated in the Pagan social group and has a maximum of 11 people. Open slots are posted if anyone else wants to participate. Each person makes 10 pages (or 11 if you want one of your own!) The 10 pages can be either totally individually made or photocopied/printed bases with added embellishments. We understand that a lot of work will go into these either way!

Pages are: 6x7", allowing a one inch border for binding on the left side(one one side - right or left). Don't decorate that last inch or add any embellishments.

Here is a list of what you can include on your pages (or feel free to add things that aren't here!)
Beverages (herbal, alcoholic, medicinal)
urban magic/practices/rituals for the season
home/kitchen magic
invocations to deities/directions/etc
perfumes
books/music/films that evoke the season
prose
correspondences (colors, animals, elements, deities, numbers, herbs, oils, foods, tarot cards, runes, etc)
Poems, songs, chants
holiday traditions from cultures other than white western europe
crafts
relationship to the earth (gardening, nature, animals, seasons)
seasonal health;
associated deities
rituals for divination associated with season/holiday; rituals for personal transformation associated with season/holiday
Correspondences

Postage: Please send me postage to compensate for returns. For those in the states, $3 is sufficient. For those outside of the states, please send $5 in well-concealed cash, IRCs, or stamps!

Let's celebrate the Summer!

1. OrganicMama (OR) -- flower magic
2. adriayna (IN)
3. jaw (WA) -- wands
4. redplantlady (UK) -- history/lore
5. icekat (Canada)
6. Phrixy (Canada)
7. Moony (ID) Withdrew
8. VickiZ (MN) -- herbal recipes

adriayna
04-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Please sign me up! :)

OrganicMama
04-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I was going to just add you when I did the initial post, but I didn't want to assume...

jaw
04-28-2009, 03:18 AM
Count me in ... :O)

redplantlady
04-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Yes please!

icekat
04-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Me and Phrixy, please!

OrganicMama
04-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Okay, you're all added. Let me know what you're doing for your pages and I will put that information there as well.

icekat
04-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Oh hey, um... your paypal note still has Dana's addy. lol I assume you want the money, not her. Unless you're funding her move? *grin*

jaw
04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I think I'll be doing something about harvesting wands ... Maybe just a simple ritual for the day, but I like harvesting wands at Solstice ... I'll decide soon ... :O)

icekat
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
That sounds nice jaw! I'm thinking of doing a Handfasting basket page. It's modified from an idea I found online, but I didn't like all of what they suggested for it. *ponders*

OrganicMama
04-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the sharp eyes, icekat! I don't have a paypal account, and don't think I'll set one up just yet. So it will have to be well hidden stamps or cash.

redplantlady
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I will do history/lore again if that's OK...
I have US stamps - I paypalled my son's fiancee and she has sent me a load :)

icekat
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
That was a great idea, RPL!

Moony
04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Oh!!! I so would have done this! I take it you already did Imbolc, Ostara, and Beltane? Phooey!!

Phrixy
04-30-2009, 08:36 PM
I was kind of hoping we would keep doing these every year. Or is there a plan for something else?

Also, Moony, if we aren't, I'm pretty sure that some of us have extras of previous ones. I know I do. Imbolc I might have to make another one but at least I have a template for it. :)

OrganicMama
04-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Moony - my good friend drew your Avatar! Do you know Fiona? She'll be tickled when I tell her. I have that sticker on my car and on my bike.

You can always start now and see about doing personal trades with people to make up the difference. I'll go look, but I THINK I have an extra from Imbolc and I know I have an extra from Beltain. They are all yours if you want them. Are you signing up for this one?

icekat
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
I've got some extras of a couple I'd be willing to trade too. PM if you're interested and I'll see what I've got this weekend to trade out. I know I have an Imbolc, and I think maybe a Beltane.

Moony
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
OK, I'll join if there is room! Someone will have to explain what is needed for journal pages as I have never done them before.

jaw
05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Moony ~ if you go to the Ostara Journal Page Swap there is a great explaination of what is needed PLUS Adriayna did a fabulous job of scanning all the pages for us there is a link to that on one of the last pages of that thread. I think that will give you the best overview of what these are ... (and they are getting better and better every time! It's really exciting to see what people come up with!)

Moony
05-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Do we decorate both sides? Or does the main theme go on one side and the title goes on that back?

adriayna
05-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Moony, a lot of us have extra pages from the other holidays that we can also trade you :)

jaw
05-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Moony you'll want to decorate both sides. I usually do an illustration on one side and text with some decoration on the other. You can put text on both sides if you need to for your idea (I did for the first swap I participated in). There is no wrong way, but it will be a page of a book, so you'll want both sides done ... (and don't forget to put your name on it.) :yes:

adriayna
05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I add text and illustrations on both sides. I make each one similar, yet still a little different! :)

Moony
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Okey dokey. I got it!

OrganicMama
05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
And you're added to the swap!

(I still want to know if you know Fiona or just found your avatar somewhere...)

Vicki Z
05-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Please add me
You can sign me up to do herbal recipes

jaw
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
My pages are ready ~ how many should I send? I see that only 6 or 7 have signed up so far ... (where are folks?!!) I'll hold on on mailing until you let me know for sure (I can always send a few extra and you can just send them back if not needed) .... am I answering my own question? .... no, no I'm not ... I'll wait ... I'm going to go eat chocolate now .....

Vicki Z
05-12-2009, 07:57 AM
By my count, there are a total of 8 people, 6 on the first page list, plus Moony and myself, who have not yet been added to the list. Dana usually had us send in one less than the total count (that way we kept our own page, and saved postage both directions) but I thought I would send in extras, just in case someone joined at the last minute (it is still a month to due date).

OM, how do you want to work this?

OrganicMama
05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Sorry I have been out of it! My little sister's birthday is today (party on Saturday) and I have been spending every spare moment making her an altered book. It's full of pockets and boxes and drawers - as well as mad amounts of collage. So now I am pulling my head out of that while some pages dry, and trying to catch up here.

We do have 8 people playing - if you are itching to send your pages, why don't you send all 10 in case we have late sign ups. I will will mail back your extras to you if we stay at 8 people.

Okay - now I need chocolate.

jaw
05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I'll package this evening and send 'em out tomorrow. :O) .... where did I put that hidden chocolate bar?......

icekat
05-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Hmmm... I think I'll work on my pages... and hunt down some chocolate. *shakesfist at everyone else for the suggestion*

OrganicMama
05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Pages received from VickiZ - not only are her pages awesome (as she is, herself) but she sent along extra goodies for everyone. I'm not telling what they are... you'll just have to wait and see!

Vicki Z
05-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Thank you for the kind words, OM.
And thanks for keeping the extra goodies a surprise. Now everyone has something to look forward to.;)

icekat
05-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Oooh! Can't wait.

I've been so stressed at work, I haven't been able to be quick about getting these done. I promise Phrixy and I will have them in the mail by the first. oi!

jaw
06-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Mine are in the mail tomorrow a.m. -

OrganicMama
06-01-2009, 12:20 AM
I think everyone is getting their pages together with all due haste - but just to let you know the time constraint! I am leaving town on the 16th for a week long Solstice Party (up in the woods - far, far away from a post office, an internet, and even a phone - yay!). So, of course, all the pages WILL arrive on time and I will have them speeding back to you ASAP. But if anything goes awry, know that I'm gone for those few days - and will be back in this world on the 22nd.

icekat
06-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Here's the front of my pages. The backside is mostly writing. It's a shame it doesn't show how sparkly the lion head is. Alas, you all will have to wait until you get the pages to see. *pets the lion*

Vicki Z
06-02-2009, 07:07 AM
He is AWESOME! So regal, yet fiercesome,
Can't wait!

adriayna
06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm finishing these up and will be sending them via priority mail this week :)

OrganicMama
06-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Cool! I can't wait to see them all together.

OrganicMama
06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Received really cool pages from jaw today - nice work!

OrganicMama
06-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Shirley, your pages are here! Nice work.

OrganicMama
06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Dana - great pages and thanks for the extras!!

OrganicMama
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
icekat and Phrixy's pages are here - so I will try to get these out to everyone today!

adriayna
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
WOOT!

icekat
06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Whew, talk about arriving in a nick of time! Can't wait to get my pages! I still have to make my Beltane book too. lol

OrganicMama
06-10-2009, 09:57 AM
So they are all packed up and ready to go...I didn't have time to get them to the post yesterday. We will do it today or tomorrow - depending on everyone's level of cranky vs. cooperative.

OrganicMama
06-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Arthur and I had a lovely walk to the post office today, and your journals are on their way!

adriayna
06-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Thank you so much, Taylor! :)

jaw
06-13-2009, 02:32 AM
I got my fabulous pages today! They are wonderful!!! And the extras! Wow... thank you so much!!!!! I will not be leaving rep points quite yet .... I am trying to figure out who did what ... only a couple had names on them ... so give me a day or two!!! These are so great. I just love them!!!! You girls just don't know how much this means to me coming this week. It just fills my heart. I really needed this!!! OK ... I'm not going to cry ... Thank you. Thank you all so very much. This community really fills a part of me. I appreciate you all so very much. ... another glass of Guinness and I'll be promising you my first born! ... no more sappy remarks! Just THANKS!!!!!!:notworthy:

Vicki Z
06-15-2009, 07:38 AM
WOW, that was FAST.
And I received my pages also.
Wonderful work, everyone. And, thanks, OM, for the extras.

OrganicMama
06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm glad the pages are finding their way home. To be clear (and still maintain a surprise) there are extra goodies in there. One from me and one from Vicki. The one from me is not made of paper.

jaw
06-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I LOVE my goodies!!! Thank you girls!! Vicki, what a great idea! Taylor, I'm waiting for the sun to come back out!! :O)

redplantlady
06-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Great hosting and thanks for the fab pages and for the extras - Taylor, I am also waiting for the sun now! And what a brilliant idea Vicki, inspired. Will leave reps when I have deduced the artists! :)

Phrixy
06-20-2009, 06:29 AM
We got our pages! Ice will probably say thanks after her ultrasound appointment. Thank you to everyone and to our hostess! I love the extras!

icekat
06-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi, I'm back, and thanks! The extras are really great, and so generous! I'll babble more when I'm more alert. <3