View Full Version : MISC: Painted Papers Mail Art Swap, Due Feb 15th

shoreart
02-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Painted Papers Swap
Due February 15
3/3 or 6/6
22 participants including myself.
All returns have been received.

Hi there everyone:D I am a little behind on the mailing of the swap...the weekend has been busy, hasn't it?? I am going to my dining room table right now to swap and pack up everything, so expect I'll send it out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay! I'll give out I trader points as soon as that site is available!!
Shelly

OriginalYouth
02-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Please put at the VERY top of each of your swap threads:

Swap Due Date - Month Day
Signup/withdraw date - Month day
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants -

Thanks! :D

susietex
02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey Shelly, thanks for letting us know, no worries at all on the timing. I think we are lucky you've got time now.

Bluellen
02-19-2008, 07:25 PM
no worries, shelly! :)

goatgoddess
02-19-2008, 08:17 PM
It's cool :)

Carole Cadek
02-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks Shelly, can hardly wait to see my returns:jiggy:

shoreart
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I have now finished packing everything up and off to the post office. I will wait until next week to post all the I trader ratings to give everyone a chance to join. Won't that be fun...instant I trader ratings!!!

poshscot
02-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Hi folks, nice to see you all here, its really exciting to be part of such a strong supportive community. Thanks for keeping us updated. Shelly. Looking forward to receiving them

Louise

stillatthetop
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the update. I am here and anxiously await returns. No worries on the timing. This move has set us all back a tad.

egrobeck
02-23-2008, 06:04 PM
ooh, got my cards today and they're all wonderful! GREAT work everyone! thanks to Carole Cadek, nomnom, shoreart, poshcot, corrie04 and Electa blue and a special thanks to Shoreart for hosting!

TheeCoyote
02-23-2008, 06:34 PM
OK, so....can someone describe what "painted papers" are?
Newspaper? Hand made decorative paper?
Is the definition all in the name, or am I still missing something?

egrobeck
02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
they can be whatever you want, as long as they're decorative backgrounds. by background I mean just that - no collage, no hand drawing or major stamping unless it's a border - just a background. before all of that. hope that makes sense? here's a few pics to illustrate

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2405/2096488795_5a6458e627.jpg

corrie04
02-23-2008, 07:17 PM
I received 6 jaw-dropping gorgeous backgrounds from kysunflower, susietex, shortart, nomnom, niteowl, and christina. Everyone's work is amazing. I almost hate to use them. But I'll manage :D

TheeCoyote
02-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Thank you egrobeck--and those are real pretty.
So, they are done on card stock/card weight, or are they on paper?

shoreart
02-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Since the swap instructions are gone, I'll explain a little more. We probably will run another one since people are happy with their returns.

Basically, the papers were 4x4..so they could be used for a chunky book, atc, or a piece of an embellishment. Whatever you would use decorative paper for in your projects. The rules asked for layers of paint...at least 3. I personally painted my paper with acrylics, used handmade stamps of a couple of types and colors to overstamp. My finished papers would be used as a background for something..ie. covers on a tiny book, pages in a journal, a border for a piece of artwork. Some people painted stars, shades of colors...whatever. They were all so different. Just paint and paper..not meant to be a finished project...just a really neat piece of paper to use. Papers varied from heavy tissue to plain drawing to watercolor. Not many rules, just interesting papers.

stillatthetop
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I experimented with some different techniques for my papers. Top left was wax resist (iron crumpled wax paper between two sheets of paper...I used writing parchment), then watercolor wash. Top right was watercolor wash on writing parchment with two types of rubber stamping on top. Bottom left was watercolor paper and wash with rubber stamp. Bottom right was again the parchment and watercolor wash with spray paint over lace as a stencil. The spray paint is a bright metallic copper that did not scan well. They were fairly easy and really fun to do. I can't wait for the next swap like this one.

Bluellen
02-25-2008, 01:18 PM
i got mine yestrday! I can't wait to used them. I got wonderful papers from carole cadek (brown and green lace texture), electablue (green and pink on sparkly yellow), kysunflower (silver on turquois), goatgoddess (purple, blue and copper mesh texture w/ black flourishes stamps), shoreart (looks kinda marbled! silver, red and yellow), and susietex (very cool gold and black on rose). Really exciting everyone! Fun stuff.

Carole Cadek
02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I received my painted pages today. Fabulous job every one!
I am in the process of leaving Reps now :jiggy:

stillatthetop
02-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I received my papers today! Wonderful stuff. My thanks to Christina for the pink, gold, brown swirl paper; kysunflower for marvelous metallic gold stamped on tannish; Janice for wonderful purple, teal and silver writing stamp paper; electablue for pink, yellow and green with luminare(?) frosting; shoreart for blue with silver stamping; and Carole Cadek for browns and greens with offwhite lace imagery. This was a really fun swap. Thanks to shoreart for organizing this as well. iTrader to host and rep points to swappers to follow this post!

kysunflower
02-25-2008, 05:23 PM
I recieved mine, love this swap, beautiful papers recieved from, shoreart, corrie04, mrubyjean, bluellen, stillatthetop, goatgoddess.

Ok, goatgoddess, I have to know how you did this, I got green with mustard, looks all crackle

egrobeck
02-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Thank you egrobeck--and those are real pretty.
So, they are done on card stock/card weight, or are they on paper?

The ones on the pics are atc sized - 2 blanks glued together. You can also use 140 lb cold press watercolor paper - which is really sturdy and makes a good page. You can buy pre-cut 4x4 squares (which is what I did) (I think European Papers might have them, or maybe B-Muse) and glue 2 together. Or you can cut them out of ceral boxes - the thin chipboard/cardboard is flexible yet very sturdy. In any event, you'll have to apply a coat or two of gesso before you paint/layer/stamp/ink. (and the gesso will give the paper some added weight and stability, too) You want the substrate to be sturdy enough to have holes punched into it for hanging or for making a book.

poshscot
02-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Bralina, I think you mean me, sorry for bad writing, will try to remember to print next time!!

My lovely papers have arrived in Bonny Scotland, thanks to : Martha, seattle, Grammyquilter2, Ariaya and egrobeck. Love the variety. Big Thanks to our hostess Shoreart, I look forward to more of your fabby swaps

Lou x

ElectaBlue
02-26-2008, 11:06 AM
I received mine, also and they are all great.

Thanks to SATT, Egrobeck, Judi(2), Icequeen, Nomnom, Niteowl, Bluellen, and Shoreart (for both paper and hosting).

susietex
02-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Thank-you Shoreart for the lovely selection of papers that arrived today.
Many thanks to the following for their great work, Goatgoddess, Corrie04, nomnom, ergobeck, Bluellen and to our hostess.
I'll have to do 4x4 pages, I couldn't bear to cut them up!!!

Will rep everyone as soon as I'm able, go to spread a bit first!!

ElectaBlue
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree, I don't want to cut them up either, but I am in so many chunky book swaps that I am going to have no trouble using them.

goatgoddess
02-27-2008, 05:03 PM
got my painted papers and they are fab - love them so much - off to leave rep points! thanks so much!

icequeen07
02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
great papers from mrubyjean,electablue and our fab hostess shoreart /cant cut them up they are so beautiful,thanks to all.

goatgoddess
02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I cheated on those - it's that new Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint - someone else had it on their cards and I just had to have some - so that is what that is - after it dries you rub on the distressing inks to fill in the cracks and age it.

I recieved mine, love this swap, beautiful papers recieved from, shoreart, corrie04, mrubyjean, bluellen, stillatthetop, goatgoddess.

Ok, goatgoddess, I have to know how you did this, I got green with mustard, looks all crackle

grammyquilter2
02-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Received mine yesterday, they are widely varying techniques, some look pretty exotic....thanks so much to Bralina, judi, goatgoddess, Ria, Ariaya, Judi again, Icequeen07, stillatthetop, nomnom, Icequeen07 again, Ria again, susietex,and especially to shoreart for hosting this swap. Please post another one soon.

nomnom
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
got my beautiful papers - first of all thanks to our great host Shoreart for this beautiful swap - and thanks for the beautifully made papers i got from - Janice, Corrie04, Electrablue, Niteowl,Susietex and Goatgoddess

mrubyjean
03-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Finally my lovely painted papers arrived and they are stunning! Thanks so much to Icequeen07, bralina, Christina, susietex and especially shoreart for hosting a great swap!